criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

[Spoilers] Discussion on Campaign

DaRoyalDuck
3 posts Member
edited November 2017
I'm generally happy with all the games aspects apart from the campaign. EA sold us the idea that we would be playing from another perspective something I was really pumped about as there are not many games where it is possible to play as the so called 'Bad guys'. I am therefore very disappointed that you have to switch sides in the game, especially so early on. I think they should have continued letting the player play as an Imperial SF soldier or given the player an option to stay on the Empires side or switch to the Rebellion. It was to good to be true, I strongly suggest EA change this.
Post edited by T0TALfps on

Replies

• They can't the story is canon and therefore was dictated to them by Lucas arts, they got NO say in who the characters are and what they do. Especially since there is a very strong hint at the end of the game tying the two main characters to the new trilogy.
  • I see, thank u for your reply
  • bfloo
    14032 posts Member
    She did switch way too early.

Finn has competition for the worst Stormtrooper ever now.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Devilfish
    249 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    bfloo wrote: »

She wasnt a stormtrooper though ;) (technically)
  • Ion
    30 posts Member
    This post should have spoiler tags..
  • Spoiler tags and moved to the single player boards ...

If I hadn't finished it already ...I would have harsh words for you sir
  • T0TALfps
    1190 posts EA Community Manager
    All sorted.
    beq77m6aitvn.png
    EA Community Coordinator, Anthem, Battlefield & Battlefront
    Twitter - Board Guidelines
    // Some of my posts may not represent the opinions of EA or DICE.
  • bfloo
    14032 posts Member
    Devilfish wrote: »

She was basically a glorified Stormtrooper with fancy armor :)

Iden wasn't really a bad character, I actually like her, but the story just felt rushed and not what it was advertised as.

h846398gb27k.png

• ElizLestrad
    62 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I too thought she switched way too early. Though the scene really made me wonder what Seyn would have done (I'd like to think she'd side with Iden).

Honestly my bigger issue was the sheer number of missions you don't play Iden at all. Well, that and two of the promised scenes (Iden's rousing "Hope cannot save them!" speech and her confrontation with Luke) not even appearing in the campaign.
  • SPOILERS

I thought the campaign served it's purpose, it told a star wars story. It wasn't really meant for us to make decisions or affect the outcome, it was to be part of the story. It would be awesome if Lucasfilm did something as major as I think they might be doing by incorporating video game characters into the new movie (or at least references to them). I wonder if that's why the last chapter is being delayed till right before the movie, because it might play into the plot of the movie...
  • Agreed, they advertised it as an imperial campaign, but in the end it is a rebel one.
  • bfloo wrote: »

Finn didn’t even complete one mission as a trooper. He’s the worst.
  • So is iden’s story and the campaign going to be finished through DLC later? Not a fan of it leaving at a big cliff hanger
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »

Finn didn't even shoot one guy. There is no question that the woman who ran an elite squad for years, and wiped out countless rebels was way better at her job than him.

I think it's weird to compare them, because Iden didn't actually defect, she disobeyed one order and was labeled a traitor. She never decided to defect, she just decided not to let these people die. These people from her home planet, who were loyal subjects of the very thing she fought for. She went to the rebels just to tell them about Operation Cinder, and to save the same citizens she had rescued from her homeworld.

She and Del even talk about how they'll likely be arrested, and in truth had it been anyone besides Lando (or maybe Luke) that's probably what would have happened. Thankfully Lando has lots of good reasons for being a "big believer in second chances" seeing as he goes from a guy who betrays friends and one of the leaders of the rebellion to fighting along side them to save the galaxy.
  • Yes, I agree completely. I expected an Imperial campaign which is what they marketed it as, but instead got a typical Rebel story. I liked Iden quite a bit, despite her complete lack of character flaws, right up until her treason. She didn't have to betray the Empire to disobey Operation Cinder, but rather gather like-minded Imperials to stop the operation from being carried out. It's also the way the Empire went from authoritarian righteousness to baby eating evil just to justify her turn. I also thought the timing was sloppy. For example, one mission she really feels terrible about killing Imperial soldiers and the next she's slaughtering her former comrades with glee - "where's the fun when they don't fight back" - Iden. Regardless of time passed in game, in reality it feels off. As for the heroes, well, their missions were cool and often funny, but they too felt out of place and just unnecessarily took you out of the story of Inferno.

Hopefully the dlc will return Iden to the Imperial remnant at peace with the New Republic against the First Order or have her join the First Order for some reason. Maybe we'll get to play as Hask? Probably not.
  • bfloo
    14032 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »

Finn didn't even shoot one guy. There is no question that the woman who ran an elite squad for years, and wiped out countless rebels was way better at her job than him.

I think it's weird to compare them, because Iden didn't actually defect, she disobeyed one order and was labeled a traitor. She never decided to defect, she just decided not to let these people die. These people from her home planet, who were loyal subjects of the very thing she fought for. She went to the rebels just to tell them about Operation Cinder, and to save the same citizens she had rescued from her homeworld.

She and Del even talk about how they'll likely be arrested, and in truth had it been anyone besides Lando (or maybe Luke) that's probably what would have happened. Thankfully Lando has lots of good reasons for being a "big believer in second chances" seeing as he goes from a guy who betrays friends and one of the leaders of the rebellion to fighting along side them to save the galaxy.

With how often Iden takes her helmet off Phasma would have had a brain aneurysm.

h846398gb27k.png

• I’m glad Iden switched sides because through the whole book and the first part of the campaign I was like “how do you not know you’re the bad guys?! Seriously!”

Overall I had a great time with the campaign. The settings were stunning. The action was fun. It was just too brief and there’s many parts in between that could’ve been expanded on. Some could be in future DLCs such as what Luke and Han did next but other parts were just rushed.

I would have liked to see Iden have a longer period of conflict where she hears rumours and starts seeing signs that they may be true over a period of time or her missions become increasingly questionable.

Also the romance angle didn’t really develop at all. It was just kind of there all the sudden. It feels like a complete story was made but a number of essential character developing chunks were chopped out for time or budget reasons.

It was a really fun experience and it makes me want a full single player Star Wars game. New characters and old, it would great to go on their journeys in the years between the movies and trilogies.
  • Totalmente desapontado com este game, um hype enorme para uma droga de modo single player. Não diverte, não empolga... Obrigado EA por destruir ainda mais o sonho de vários fans de Star Wars. Qual o próximo game que vocês vão destruir?
    Se continuar desse jeito é melhor fechar as portas de uma vez e passar o barco para um estúdio mais competente.
  • Octavious_Wrex
    3043 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    "the Empire went from authoritarian righteousness to baby eating evil just to justify her turn."

Holy cow man, what part of subjugating the galaxy and blowing up planets doesn't sound evil to you? Did you miss Tarkins weird creepy grin while blowing up Alderon?

As for Iden just needing to get together like minded imperials, you really think it's that simple? We see people getting killed by members of the Empire for failing. Darth Vader gonna choke somebody! Not to mention the city and military installation they just blew up cause they had this fun new toy. Do you think you can talk to anyone in a seditious manner without winding up dead?
    Devilfish wrote: »

She was basically a glorified Stormtrooper with fancy armor :)

Iden wasn't really a bad character, I actually like her, but the story just felt rushed and not what it was advertised as.
    I too thought she switched way too early. Though the scene really made me wonder what Seyn would have done (I'd like to think she'd side with Iden).

Honestly my bigger issue was the sheer number of missions you don't play Iden at all. Well, that and two of the promised scenes (Iden's rousing "Hope cannot save them!" speech and her confrontation with Luke) not even appearing in the campaign.

This sums it up for me. Still like it, but wish they do more.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • She switched too early. There could have been more discovery time.
    I do like her character and Inferno Squad, but would have been nice to have more missions as Imperials.

The story was a mish mash, but I did not expect anything very complex.

Some of the missions I felt were more just for training to learn how to use the hero characters, which is fine.
    Flying through the blown up Death Star was pretty darn cool. The visuals were really well done.

The campaign met my expectations. It could have been much much worse...
  • Yeah I agree LeftTurnus, that may have made the campaign slightly better if the switch would have happened later. They could have done it 50-50.

• Apologies kind Sir

dada_shift wrote: »
    Spoiler tags and moved to the single player boards ...

If I hadn't finished it already ...I would have harsh words for you sir

• To me her whole reason for turning was the biggest joke and here is why- Iden was magically soooo concerned over lmperial citizens and destroying Vardos....yet her faith was unshaken when she was stationed on the Deathstar and saw Vader and Tarkin, not even attempt to evacuate anyone and erased Alderran as well as possibly any other planets before that with large Imperial garrisons like Scarrif. Pffff please. That did not sit well with me AT ALL.

What also added to making the whole thing stupid are the fact that Iden had no personal moments with her father or anyone to even attempt to make the imperial side look good or grey like Motive teased. The Admiral treated his own daughter like a McDonalds drive thru worker it was purely horrible writting.

We also had content cut like on Vardos prior to operation Cinder Iden was giving a pro Imperial speech, we see an Image of her getting stormtroopers into a ship without her helmet on a talk about Avenging the Emperor instead of bashing him. I get the feeling the game originally was to be Empire oriented but something changed

With all that and all the promotion talk of playing from a new perspective, something tells me, while she might have changed sides towards the end closer to Jakku, EA or Disney stepped in and forced them to make it a quick redemption arc. Sounds crazy but hey, Lucas came in and forced Force Unleashed to change from a game about killing the rest of the Jedi Council to a redemptive arc. Wouldn't surprise me.

I said this in another thread, if they simply said we will be "playing as an Imperial who has to make choices to see where she really fits in", and this is what we got, I oud have taken that.

Don't get me wrong, the campaign was fun, had major plot holes,but was fun. Its just a shame they took all those fans cheering when Motive said we will play as the Empire this time, along for a ride on **** mountain.

If this wasnt a decision by EA or Disney to change the story up then I truely am dreading whats in store for the game Motive is working on.
  • bfloo
    14032 posts Member
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    To me her whole reason for turning was the biggest joke and here is why- Iden was magically soooo concerned over lmperial citizens and destroying Vardos....yet her faith was unshaken when she was stationed on the Deathstar and saw Vader and Tarkin, not even attempt to evacuate anyone and erased Alderran as well as possibly any other planets before that with large Imperial garrisons like Scarrif. Pffff please. That did not sit well with me AT ALL.

What also added to making the whole thing **** are the fact that Iden had no personal moments with her father or anyone to even attempt to make the imperial side look good or grey like Motive teased. The Admiral treated his own daughter like a McDonalds drive thru worker it was purely horrible writting.

We also had content cut like on Vardos prior to operation Cinder Iden was giving a pro Imperial speech, we see an Image of her getting stormtroopers into a ship without her helmet on a talk about Avenging the Emperor instead of bashing him. I get the feeling the game originally was to be Empire oriented but something changed

With all that and all the promotion talk of playing from a new perspective, something tells me, while she might have changed sides towards the end closer to Jakku, EA or Disney stepped in and forced them to make it a quick redemption arc. Sounds crazy but hey, Lucas came in and forced Force Unleashed to change from a game about killing the rest of the Jedi Council to a redemptive arc. Wouldn't surprise me.

I said this in another thread, if they simply said we will be "playing as an Imperial who has to make choices to see where she really fits in", and this is what we got, I oud have taken that.

Don't get me wrong, the campaign was fun, had major plot holes,but was fun. Its just a shame they took all those fans cheering when Motive said we will play as the Empire this time, along for a ride on **** mountain.

If this wasnt a decision by EA or Disney to change the story up then I truely am dreading whats in store for the game Motive is working on.

The story is canon, so Disney would be very involved.

Dave Filoni must go, he is just being lazy now that he has Disney money behind him.

CW was great because it was threatened with cancellation and they had to try.

h846398gb27k.png

To me her whole reason for turning was the biggest joke and here is why- Iden was magically soooo concerned over lmperial citizens and destroying Vardos....yet her faith was unshaken when she was stationed on the Deathstar and saw Vader and Tarkin, not even attempt to evacuate anyone and erased Alderran as well as possibly any other planets before that with large Imperial garrisons like Scarrif. Pffff please. That did not sit well with me AT ALL.

What also added to making the whole thing **** are the fact that Iden had no personal moments with her father or anyone to even attempt to make the imperial side look good or grey like Motive teased. The Admiral treated his own daughter like a McDonalds drive thru worker it was purely horrible writting.

Dave Filoni must go, he is just being lazy now that he has Disney money behind him.

This Deal with EA and Disney is getting worse all the time

Facts.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • bfloo
    14032 posts Member

I want George back.

He might not have executed films well, but you could see his passion when watching the films, even the PT.

With Disney TFA felt like the typical no effort Hollywood remake and the story telling in rebelz is just trash.

h846398gb27k.png

I want George back.

He might not have executed films well, but you could see his passion when watching the films, even the PT.

With Disney TFA felt like the typical no effort Hollywood remake and the story telling in rebelz is just trash.

I kinda disagree, not on George having Passion tho. Force Awakens was still better than prequals better writing and better acting on the main characters parts Ben and Palpatine not counted, they did great on their roles with what they had.
    Only Fault FA really had was the plot was too similar to Empire and New Hope.

I think the characters themselves and the motion of the film were more memorable tho. Kylo Ren has more character then any of the prequal film villains and this is just his first film. I mean Maul was nothing until Clone Wars, Dooku had only a few minutes on screen and wasnt at all memorable aside from being played by Lee, and Grevious, well unless you read the EU and side stuff at the ttime, he was totally pointless.

On the Video game front tho, things are pretty grim. If EA cancels the Motive game for example, Id really start to worry

• I was very disappointed in the campaign. Says you play as an imperial when she joins the Rebellion within the first hour of gameplay out of the four hours. It was stupid that the game was marketed as an imperial point of view when it wasn't.
  • Derrame
    54 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    i just completed it
    i love it
    great story, action,
    i hope there is a sequel a continuation for this story and see what happens with Iden and Gleb and Hask
  • A_Wookie_Roar
    2339 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I want those outfits Iden wore during the story. The Stormtrooper one would be sweet but I want that Republic one. Her droid that was re-painted was sweet. It will be hard though because in the multiplayer Iden is on the Empire so i don't know about the Republic outfit. It was my favorite though that's for sure.
    SFA Reinforcement Ideas - https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/98321/starfighter-assault-reinforcement-ideas#latest

Specialist Scout Pistol Addition - https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/90785/flash-pistol-scout-pistol-needs-to-be-on-specialist-please/p1

"Lean upon pain like a crutch and you create anger and a dark fear of truth. Pain guides, but it does not support" Obi-Wan Kenobi

3i4nza8m24rn.gif
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    ^ I thought her republic outfit was garbage. It was like she could not pull her xwing top over her and just ripped it off at pants level. It was very lame and uninspired.

In all honesty should would have been better doing what the clones did in Rebels-paint over it and add symbols of the new Republic, would have looked better than the female plumber look she had
  • Strogg1980 wrote: »
    ^ I thought her republic outfit was garbage. It was like she could not pull her xwing top over her and just ripped it off at pants level. It was very lame and uninspired.

In all honesty should would have been better doing what the clones did in Rebels-paint over it and add symbols of the new Republic, would have looked better than the female plumber look she had

The Logo's and stuff would be cool but I like how she had it hanging down. That's something she definitely would do and plus it would look weird to just be running around in a full blown Rebel fight pilot outfit half the time. Having it down added a little bit of character i think.
    SFA Reinforcement Ideas - https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/98321/starfighter-assault-reinforcement-ideas#latest

Specialist Scout Pistol Addition - https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/90785/flash-pistol-scout-pistol-needs-to-be-on-specialist-please/p1

"Lean upon pain like a crutch and you create anger and a dark fear of truth. Pain guides, but it does not support" Obi-Wan Kenobi

3i4nza8m24rn.gif
  • OOM19
    2830 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    My guess was that the campaign was supposed to be far more ambitious and lengthy but they ultimately ran into Time Constraints and possibly different directions the studio wanted to go in

So they ultimately scrapped the Imperial Story so as to tie into the Hero levels they were making

Or maybe they always indented this mission arrangement and just thought it would be funny to build a entire campaign up on just the first 5 missions lol

Oh well not too bad we still got Thrawn Dark Alliance coming up in a few months and Tarkin to reread
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • OOM19 wrote: »
    My guess was that the campaign was supposed to be far more ambitious and lengthy but they ultimately ran into Time Constraints and possibly different directions the studio wanted to go in

So they ultimately scrapped the Imperial Story so as to tie into the Hero levels they were making

Or maybe they always indented this mission arrangement and just thought it would be funny to build a entire campaign up on just the first 5 missions lol

Oh well not too bad we still got Thrawn Dark Alliance coming up in a few months and Tarkin to reread

Maybe they were inspired by Hideo Kojima. After all he sold MGS2 as a game where you play as solid snake, and instead we got to run around doing cartwheels as a naked dude named Raiden. Then we got to get whiny phone calls from out videogame girlfriend who was also possibly a computer program because Raiden forgot what day tomorrow was...
  • I love the campaign for the most part. I love the story, characters, level & mission design. I really enjoyed the campaign and had a lot of fun. However, I was disappointed that Iden & Del Meeko defected this early during the campaign. I was expecting to play on the Empires side for a bit longer. I wish the game included one or two more missions playing for the Empire at the beginning. The defection felt a bit rushed too me.
  • Well all the marketing campaign and "imperial story" please... "Behind the story" trailer is 100% lies, they lie in all of their interviews, I was hyped for almost a year to almost smashing my TV during 5th mission. And 6th mission please worst writing i have ever seen "We've been fighting our whole lives. It took us too long to realize we've been fighting for the wrong side"- Iden to Leia... Iden hates Leia through whole Inferno Squad book, and into more of IS book, we hear "Seyn Marana died for us" in the Kylo Ren mission, ye if she had survived the book it would be catastrophy. I see how best character of the book would be turned s**t in this game. And who had this brilliant idea of " hmm what people want the most? Yeah, to play as Lando! And Leia, and Han and fly in Millenium Falcon." Not really, we wanted to play as Iden Versio IMPERIAL COMMANDO, the person who even if knows that she does questionable things she won't defect. Order is an order. She didn't defect after Empire destroyed Alderaan, she said that they deserved to be destroyed, she slaughtered tons of rebels, she despised them! Rebels killed parents of her best friend Hask, why the hell would she join them! She didn't defect even when she knew Vardos is meant to be destroyed, she defected because of 4 aristocrats... Overall we played as full Inferno Squad in one mission out of 13, and imperial story was about 1/4 of the full time. here is my verdict: 1/10 Oh i forgot about that romance with less chemistry than Padme and Ani in prequels...
  • I enjoyed the campaign. You could feel the switch coming as soon as Luke meets Iden's partner Del and doesn't kill him. At that point I was like, "darn, we're going good". Predictable though, I would have been surprised if the story stayed on the dark side the whole time. I did find the "turn" that Iden does to be out of character, given her concern for the people as soon as you start that mission where you turn there is little regret from killing dozens of her former allies , other than "that didn't feel good". ha. That, and everyone in the Rebel Alliance seemed cool with it, despite her team killing hundreds of their friends. Oh well.

The missions, on their own were excellent, good action mix. I loved the ones that transitioned between space and land that was awesome. Sad there is really no replayability once you finish it. Which I think is easily resolvable by simply extending the MP meta game (credits, unlocks, leveling) to it. I don't get why the great meta game that exists in MP doesn't just extend across the entire game, "rank" really has nothing to do with your skill, simply time played, so should it really matter where the players spend their time?

It would be interesting to play through the missions again with different builds, but I'm not going to bother as there is no reward gained for doing so.