criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

*SPOILERS* This campaign story..

Again spoiler warning!!!!!!

Ok. This campaign man.. it started off so well! But after 2 or 3 missions you become a traitor! A rebel scum!

FALSE ADVERTISING:
They said the story would be from the empire's perspective. Finally, i thought. Finally we get to see their point of view. Finally we get a story that doesn't revolve around the rebels and the "good" guys.

And what happens after mission 3?? Sure let's just join the rebels and mercilessly kill all stormtroopers that we fought side by side with. I have truly never been so disappointed in a singleplayer.

I was waiting for a double-spy twist. That all those missions were undercover but they actually meant it.

Unbelievable. I don't even buy that those elite, loyal soldiers of Inferno Squad switch sides so easily. What a waste of time and money to make this campaign.

Anyone agree?

Replies

• I know right? So much for imperial perspective of things. I was super disappointed at the idea of them just suddenly betraying their side and murdering their own comrades. Neither of the main characters wanted to join the rebellion yet they do anyway. Oh and how did the rebellion trust them so easily after knowing they are ex-special forces. Just overall disappointing.
  • This is gonna get closed and moved to the single player thread. But I posted something similar. story was full but the gameplay was awesome. Especially those fighter missions. Seeing the corvettes moving at attack speed instead of super slow was awesome.
  • The circumstances of them leaving are justified in my opinion, after the emperor died Admiral Versio started doing things differently and Del and Iden didnt like that. Hask was all about the mission no matter what it was. Del and Iden were shocked by this and thats why they were "traitors"

The interaction with Luke and Del was pretty interesting, it shows how the imperials were lied to when they were younger.

But i still agree, it was kind of annoying for them to just swap sides like that and not be executed for their part in the empire.

Iden is also a villain in hvv which is once again irritating and is false advertisement
  • im very, and i mean VERY upset that we didnt get a true empire story, just another rebel story, like oh hey attack my home world ofc im gonna rebel, they had a chance for something unique and they blew it.
  • Well anyone that read the swbf2 book had to see this ending coming.
    Hask kills all the partisans but mentor. Iden just stuns mentor and del is trying to figure ways to save them.
  • Glad to see you agree. It could have been so good
  • I have moved this thread to the Single Player discussion side, carry on.
    Volunteer EA Forums Senior Moderator, EA Star Wars Battlefront Forums Senior Moderator and EA Answers HQ Hero.

Check out the forum rules & guidelines
  • Guys it's fine not to like a story, but calling it false advertising is a giant stretch. Also, Iden and Del didn't exactly defect, they were labeled traitors for refusing an order. They want to the rebels just to give them info and to give the people who they saved a place to go, seeing as their home world wasn't an option anymore, and if they went back to the Empire the would likely be labeled traitors by association.

Del and Iden even talk about how the are likely to be arrested and spend the rest of their lives in a Rebel prison, but they decide trying to stop Cinder is more important.
  • Guys it's fine not to like a story, but calling it false advertising is a giant stretch. Also, Iden and Del didn't exactly defect, they were labeled traitors for refusing an order. They want to the rebels just to give them info and to give the people who they saved a place to go, seeing as their home world wasn't an option anymore, and if they went back to the Empire the would likely be labeled traitors by association.

Del and Iden even talk about how the are likely to be arrested and spend the rest of their lives in a Rebel prison, but they decide trying to stop Cinder is more important.

But it is false advertising. Everything we ever heard before launch about the story is "Inferno Squad! Empire! Fight for the Empire! Empire's perspective!"

Their whole advertising of the story was about Iden and the Empire. While in reality, 70% of the story you play as a defected rebel!!
  • Darkblade wrote: »
    Guys it's fine not to like a story, but calling it false advertising is a giant stretch. Also, Iden and Del didn't exactly defect, they were labeled traitors for refusing an order. They want to the rebels just to give them info and to give the people who they saved a place to go, seeing as their home world wasn't an option anymore, and if they went back to the Empire the would likely be labeled traitors by association.

But it is false advertising. Everything we ever heard before launch about the story is "Inferno Squad! Empire! Fight for the Empire! Empire's perspective!"

Their whole advertising of the story was about Iden and the Empire. While in reality, 70% of the story you play as a defected rebel!!

You should really look up false advertising. This is like saying that the sixth sense falsely advertised because it seemed like a movie about a normal alive psychological treating a boy who saw things that weren't there.

If you really think it's false advertising please get a lawyer and try to take Dice to court, I'm very interested to see how far you get.
    Guys it's fine not to like a story, but calling it false advertising is a giant stretch. Also, Iden and Del didn't exactly defect, they were labeled traitors for refusing an order. They want to the rebels just to give them info and to give the people who they saved a place to go, seeing as their home world wasn't an option anymore, and if they went back to the Empire the would likely be labeled traitors by association.

You should really look up false advertising. This is like saying that the sixth sense falsely advertised because it seemed like a movie about a normal alive psychological treating a boy who saw things that weren't there.

If you really think it's false advertising please get a lawyer and try to take Dice to court, I'm very interested to see how far you get.

False advertising: Saying a product is or making a product seem like something, while it does something else. That is exactly what Battlefront 2 did with the story.

And if i would go to court i'd take the one responsible for advertising it this way, not Dice who is responsible solely for the multiplayer ;)
    Darkblade wrote: »

False advertising: Saying a product is or making a product seem like something, while it does something else. That is exactly what Battlefront 2 did with the story.

And if i would go to court i'd take the one responsible for advertising it this way, not Dice who is responsible solely for the multiplayer ;)

Not telling you the twists and turns of a story isn't false advertising. If it were every single piece of fiction that didn't tell the consumer everything that happened before they experience it would be false advertising. Of course they don't tell you everything, because if they did there would be no reason to play it.

They promised you a StarWars game, with lots of shooty shooty bang bang and you got that. They never promised you that Iden would remain loyal to the empire, and even if they did it still wouldn't be false advertising. If it was Hideo Kojima would have been kicked out of the in industry years ago, for all his intentionally misleading trailers. That dude has strait up lied about who you will even play in a game before it's out.
  • They all liar.
  • Yeah I couldn't bring myself to finish the story because on that sudden turn. The way they spoke to each other and all that. Heck the cutscene before landing on Vardos. It just killed my mood to finish the rest of the game.

I get that the book also kinda links to this moment in some small fashion. But if the advertisement says we are fighting as the Empire then we should be fighting as the Empire.

• I don’t mind that Iden was defected from the Empire but I believe it was done very wrong. Although, the campaign was very good aside from this and I loved the ending (contrary to popular opinion).
  • Vanders
    33 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Game-wise, even if they were going to turn traitor the whole time, it could have been left until the last mission so that the campaign was truly from the Empire's perspective instead of happening three missions in. Very disappointed. Also, where were some of the cutscenes like Iden telling troopers that "hope cannot save them(the rebels)". It's as if there was supposed to be more from the Imperial side.

I hope that in future expansions of the campaign Iden, or whoever the playable character is, joins the First Order for some reason or the Imperial remnant. In the latter case, maybe they attack the FO because they can't afford to lose their peace with the New Republic as they are too weak. Or maybe the FO attacks them trying to claim Imperial territory. Maybe she could join with Admiral Sloane (who opposed Operation Cinder) to reclaim the FO from the more extremist elements.
  • Now i was expecting a team switching moment with Iden but toward the end not so early. I was like damn that was quick! I just found it funny how Leia and Lando didn’t even hesitate to take Iden and Del in after they slaughter rebels on Endor.

The advertising of the empire storyline reminds me of the promotion for the Resident Evil:Retribution movie. With the movie the kept saying “theirs movie will take place all over the globe” but in fact it was just different rooms set up as different cities.?
  • Honestly, I felt that they messed the story up a bit with how early they switched sides. Even more, though, was the fact they made her switch to becoming a pure Rebel nigh instantly.

I thought that the story would go one of three ways:

1a) If she was going to change sides, she would be "Anti-Imperial", not "Rebel", if you get my idea. Like, the only reason they'd join the Rebels is "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", and that she still didn't like the Rebellion, but she hated what the Empire had become, as it wasn't what it once was. That one cutscene where she eventually makes Hask her enemy when trying to evacuate the others would still have merit, but she wouldn't then be a real Rebel by heart; in fact, she'd be using the Rebels as a means to an end.

1b) Same as before, but instead of never turning, she makes a slow transition to the Rebellion, where she is initially rejected and nearly killed on several occasions. Remember, she did kill a LOT of Rebels (bit of an under statement), and the Rebellion kinda knows this, so many would be willing to shoot her on sight. This would make her and Del seem like outcasts, as both the "Empire" and the Rebellion wishes them dead/imprisoned in the worst place possible. Then, Del can remember what happened when he crossed paths with Luke, and maybe they search for him to successfully mediate a way for them to join the Rebellion. Maybe it doesn't work out, even with Luke arguing for them, and they later prove their worth on the battlefront to convince the majority of the Rebellion; or they instead are hesitantly accepted by Leia (with Luke convincing her that people do change, ie Vader), and they get in with many Rebels not believing them, and THEN they prove themselves on the battlefront.

2) They never switch sides. They're always loyal to the empire, but Hask then falsely accuses them of treason, forcing them out. Eventually, they convince the empire of their "innocence", Hask is possibly killed in revenge, and Iden gets a nice Daughter-Father moment towards the end. At this point, she could die before the FO take power (no retiring), or she could become a Commander in their ranks, similar to Hask in the current story.

3) The ol' double switcheroo. "Leaves" the Empire to "join" the Rebellion, only to reveal it all to be an elaborate ruse to hurt them form the inside. Oh, jolly good show.

Also, I hope the story gets some more love outside TLJ DLC, as we are missing some good cut-scenes (Inferno Squad trooper aiming at Luke, Iden encouraging her fellow imperials that "hope cannot save them", etc). I felt that they used too many of the heroes (Lando and Han really we're kinda unnecessary, Luke had more potential to impact the story, Leia was ok), and they should've focused more on Iden and Del. Maybe you play as Hask for a short section, that would've been kinda cool. Stealth was not pointless, but it was underdeveloped (I liked the idea, but they didn't give it much love over going in guns blazing), and I wish they had more times where you can shoot the lock on doors or hack, or control your droid as a main ability (like Twitch's shock drone in R6S, but with more health, vertically, etc), or perform combat rolls. But I'm getting off topic.

Over all, I loved the concept and liked the campaign, but there is plenty of room for helpful criticism. I'd like it if they spent more time as Inferno Squad with the Empire before switching, like maybe keep it at a 50/50 of Empire missions and Rebel missions, and I would've really liked my 1b story. Could have built up the romance maybe a bit better between Iden and Del, as it was kinda obvious and a bit cheesy at times. Shriv, my boy, was an 11 out of 5, and the campaign should've let you played him lol. Better yet, he should be a Rebel hero :trollface:
    So yeah, overall, pretty good 6/10
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
    Darkblade wrote: »

Not telling you the twists and turns of a story isn't false advertising. If it were every single piece of fiction that didn't tell the consumer everything that happened before they experience it would be false advertising. Of course they don't tell you everything, because if they did there would be no reason to play it.

They promised you a StarWars game, with lots of shooty shooty bang bang and you got that. They never promised you that Iden would remain loyal to the empire, and even if they did it still wouldn't be false advertising. If it was Hideo Kojima would have been kicked out of the in industry years ago, for all his intentionally misleading trailers. That dude has strait up lied about who you will even play in a game before it's out.

dude go watch those trailers again, clearly iden says"we avenge our emperor", and doing a speech of "hope can not save them".
  • I personally prefer if Iden and Del joined up with an Imperial remnant and this Remnant formed a tenuous alliance with the New Republic come Jakku. Start with the Corvus meeting up with other Imperial ships who refuse Operation Cinder and begun raiding attacks on other factions, slowly becoming more powerful as more Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers and even worlds join her cause to defend the Empire from what she would consider the followers a dead mad man. And also during this time she and Des would've gotten together a bit earlier....because it was beyond teasing by the time of "Until Ashes".

The campaign could've ended with Iden and Leia shaking hands on the burning sands of Jakku. Iden and Des would become a beacon for other Imps who don't follow/become the First Order.
    Hell the next expansion could be an all out war between the Remnant and the First Order when Iden finds out what happened to Des. Have a Kill Bill storyline set in Star Wars....with explosions and star fighters and stuff!

In the old Legends Timeline the Remnant was a HUGE deal with now barely a mention in Canon.
    That way you could have Imperials going up against the First Order, seeing them as extremists who are committing unneeded violent acts. Just my two cents.
    One of the best levels in the old Tie Fighter game was fighting other Imps and checking first if that Tie was on your side or not. Made it more tense and challenging.
    But that's just me.
  • Gorvar wrote: »
    I personally prefer if Iden and Del joined up with an Imperial remnant and this Remnant formed a tenuous alliance with the New Republic come Jakku. Start with the Corvus meeting up with other Imperial ships who refuse Operation Cinder and begun raiding attacks on other factions, slowly becoming more powerful as more Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers and even worlds join her cause to defend the Empire from what she would consider the followers a dead mad man. And also during this time she and Des would've gotten together a bit earlier....because it was beyond teasing by the time of "Until Ashes".

The campaign could've ended with Iden and Leia shaking hands on the burning sands of Jakku. Iden and Des would become a beacon for other Imps who don't follow/become the First Order.
    **** the next expansion could be an all out war between the Remnant and the First Order when Iden finds out what happened to Des. Have a Kill Bill storyline set in Star Wars....with explosions and star fighters and stuff!

In the old Legends Timeline the Remnant was a HUGE deal with now barely a mention in Canon.
    That way you could have Imperials going up against the First Order, seeing them as extremists who are committing unneeded violent acts. Just my two cents.
    One of the best levels in the old Tie Fighter game was fighting other Imps and checking first if that Tie was on your side or not. Made it more tense and challenging.
    But that's just me.

That sounds amazing.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • 3) The ol' double switcheroo. "Leaves" the Empire to "join" the Rebellion, only to reveal it all to be an elaborate ruse to hurt them form the inside. Oh, jolly good show.

Also, I hope the story gets some more love outside TLJ DLC, as we are missing some good cut-scenes (Inferno Squad trooper aiming at Luke, Iden encouraging her fellow imperials that "hope cannot save them", etc). I felt that they used too many of the heroes (Lando and Han really we're kinda unnecessary, Luke had more potential to impact the story, Leia was ok), and they should've focused more on Iden and Del. Maybe you play as Hask for a short section, that would've been kinda cool. Stealth was not pointless, but it was underdeveloped (I liked the idea, but they didn't give it much love over going in guns blazing), and I wish they had more times where you can shoot the lock on doors or hack, or control your droid as a main ability (like Twitch's shock drone in R6S, but with more health, vertically, etc), or perform combat rolls.

All your thoughts basically match up with mine. The double agent idea would have been really cool. Usually you would join the Empire as a double agent and see the Empire's side, but this time you see the Rebels side. This could make her sympathetic and lead to her switching sides if they really have to go down that route. Of course I'd prefer her to remain loyal.

Also, if we don't get to play mostly as the FO or Imperial remnant in the future dlc I'm going to be peeved.
    Gorvar wrote: »
    I personally prefer if Iden and Del joined up with an Imperial remnant and this Remnant formed a tenuous alliance with the New Republic come Jakku. Start with the Corvus meeting up with other Imperial ships who refuse Operation Cinder and begun raiding attacks on other factions, slowly becoming more powerful as more Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers and even worlds join her cause to defend the Empire from what she would consider the followers a dead mad man. And also during this time she and Des would've gotten together a bit earlier....because it was beyond teasing by the time of "Until Ashes".

**** the next expansion could be an all out war between the Remnant and the First Order when Iden finds out what happened to Des. Have a Kill Bill storyline set in Star Wars....with explosions and star fighters and stuff!

But that's just me.

This is brilliant. I have always been intrigued by a possible scenario where the Empire fights alongside the New Republic in order to maintain their alliance as they can't afford to break it. Also, the current Imperial remnant seems like a more moderate faction (even thought we currently know very little about it) that favours righteous Imperial rule that would oppose the extremist FO which seems merely bent of revenge and little else.
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited November 2017

Please, it was false advertising. Granted its not like we can sue them, but they did straight up lie to us. Motive Done F'ed up and pulled a Halo 5. No doubt about it.

Not just to mention content that we see and lines we hear that were not in the game, "Hope Cannot save them!" On an Un-Operation Cindar Vardos, her leaving in a ship rescuing Stormtroopers in her black tie armor, but also all the promotion of "Embrace the Dark Side" "Play as a Hero of the Empire!" And the E3 or Star Wars event where Motive totally lied and said we will play an Imperial Campaign, not just a few Missions on both sides, but a Campaign, as the Empire this time around. And they said we would get to see the Empire in a more positive light. That was the MOST BLACK AND WHITE PORTRAIL OF THE EMPIRE IN ANY NON-FILM BASED MEDIA lol. Again, its not legally an issue, its just a slap in the face and a straight up lie.

I believe a rebel scum commander can sum up the Campaigns promotion and release to a T-
    lies-deception.jpg

Only thing I wonder that happened is with all the cut stuff we saw and heard is if Disney stepped in and said "hold up! gotta be a redemption story or its a no go!". Wouldnt be the first time a higher up did that. Lucas stepped in on Force Unleashed when the game initally was going to be about killing the Jedi off and forced them to make it a redemption story too because "killing Jedi and Rebels would be boring".
  • Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Not just to mention content that we see and lines we hear that were not in the game, "Hope Cannot save them!" On an Un-Operation Cindar Vardos.

This also makes me sad that we didn't get to see more of Vardos. I loved the grey/black and red colours of the planet and all the propoganda around. Too bad it was a slow march past a suddenly evil Empire before betraying them.

• What I want to know straight from the horse's mouth (the story writers at DICE): Why did they change their mind on the story's direction so far into development, and after advertising the campaign story to be what they said? Why? Did the writers at DICE write themselves into a corner and scrap it? Did they even know what they were doing??? Did they forget what they promised?
  • Read the book Significant Zero by Walt Williams. He was one of the writers of the story in SWBF2. He goes through an arduous journey trying to make many of the games we've enjoyed. The last few chapters focus on his experiences making the story for SWBF2.