criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Lightsaber combat after launch

It’s definitely better than the lightsaber combat from the previous game but some time ago a developer said that that the lightsaber heroes have a heavy attack in their combat combo, so I assume that there could be some tipe of lock like in the previous game and some chained attack combos like in the launch trailer
I would like to see this feature at some time, at least in a dlc season
Can someone give me more information about this matter?

Replies

• I'm not sure if the details, but using Luke during the campaign I noticed if I paused during an attack it would do a different style hit in the combo. I don't play HvV and haven't really tried to figure it out much, but I was definitely seeing different attacks.
  • I'm not sure if the details, but using Luke during the campaign I noticed if I paused during an attack it would do a different style hit in the combo. I don't play HvV and haven't really tried to figure it out much, but I was definitely seeing different attacks.

I also discovered that!
    But you can actualy do the diferent combo if you just smash the hit buttom, but Luke’s kick doesn’t seem to be the heavy strike
  • But I haven’t tried to do that in HvV because they will probably kill me before a can try and there is no IA in Arcade, but I’m going to try with someone
  • Feels a little button mashy to me. I'd like a little more of a duelling feel to the lightsaber battles, personally. Blocking, parrying etc. Right now it's just a frenzy of swooshing sabers then someone dies. Still fun being heroes/villains but no real skill needed. Easy for kids I suppose.
  • I remember having some epic battles in BF1 with people who obviously knew what they were doing, blocking etc. Perhaps after playing this one for a while it'll get there too.
  • They ought to take out the stun/wobble system when your attack is blocked and make it where it drains more stamina to block attacks. That way you can’t just sit there and block everything but you don’t get stunned for attacking someone. It would make for much more fluid saber combat
  • Landeaux2 wrote: »
    They ought to take out the stun/wobble system when your attack is blocked and make it where it drains more stamina to block attacks. That way you can’t just sit there and block everything but you don’t get stunned for attacking someone. It would make for much more fluid saber combat

This.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Also, as per a little discovery I made in the Beta, if you dodge with any saber hero in a cardinal direction and do a saber swing, they'll perform a specific attack animation. Works for all Saber heroes.

Also, some abilities can be combo'd easily. For example, Rey can go from her swing to her Rush attack very fluidly, increasing her DPS considerably.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Also, as per a little discovery I made in the Beta, if you dodge with any saber hero in a cardinal direction and do a saber swing, they'll perform a specific attack animation. Works for all Saber heroes.

Also, some abilities can be combo'd easily. For example, Rey can go from her swing to her Rush attack very fluidly, increasing her DPS considerably.

Yeah Vader choke > swing > saber throw is deadly...literally
  • Also, what happened to their passives? In case you don't remember, Rey had it where the blue meter would fill, and she'd gain unlimited stamina for a short period of time. Maul had it so that, the more kills he got in quick succession, the faster his cooldowns would be. Of course, they could be swapped out, but it seems they got rid of the whole passive abilities, (and no, they were different from Boost Cards).

Also, as per a little discovery I made in the Beta, if you dodge with any saber hero in a cardinal direction and do a saber swing, they'll perform a specific attack animation. Works for all Saber heroes.

Yeah Vader choke > swing > saber throw is deadly...literally

I don't play much Vader, but that does seem effective.

They ought to take out the stun/wobble system when your attack is blocked and make it where it drains more stamina to block attacks. That way you can’t just sit there and block everything but you don’t get stunned for attacking someone. It would make for much more fluid saber combat
    Well if they added a heavy strike as @koldovi2013 says then that would be able to break the block.
  • It seems like there is maybe a lot of depth to the LS combat, but because it's not well explained it's hard to tell. There are different combos, and then there's the dash follow ups.

Who knows how much stuff is available that we haven't figured out? That's not to say they couldn't be deeper, just that the system here seems to be interesting but not even slightly explained.

• Here's what I wish they had, or have as a saber combat overhaul in the future:
    Light Attack- press fire
    Heavy Attack- press and hold fire; not like previous heavy attack where it is on a cooldown, but it isn't as powerful. It's like any other game; slower but stronger than a Light Attack.
    Block-press/hold ADS
    Parry-while blocking, press Attack just before an attack hits (requires EXTREMELY precise timing)

Interactions:
    Light Attack + Block = successful block, light attack can continue to chain into other attacks
    Light Attack + Parry = successful parry, opens up the attacker briefly for a successful counter Light Attack from defender
    Heavy Attack + Block = successful block, but the defender's guard is considerably depleted. Blocking to many Heavy Attacks will make you lose your guard temporarily, leaving the defender open to the attacker
    Heavy Attack+ Parry = successful parry, but attacker isn't unbalanced and leads to both recovering at around the same time, allows for the defender to change things up
    Light Attack + Light Attack = both combatants effectively cancel out eachother's attacks, and can continue to smash the attack button for some fast paced combat. However, both must time their attacks to the other's, or they can risk being damaged.
    Heavy Attack + Light Attack = The aggressor who used the Heavy Attack decimates the one who sadly used the Light Attack; the Heavy Attack blocks the Light Attack and stumbles the opponent, leaving them open for a possible Light Attack. However, like the Parry, this is EXTREMELY hard to time (requires either luck or some prediction for the majority of the time)
    Heavy Attack + Heavy Attack = Saber Clash; similar to the last game, but the winner deals heavy damage to the loser. Can disengage as well by dodging out in a direction, but can be hit with a Light Attack or clipped by the Heavy Attack they were clashing against.

• Here's what I wish they had, or have as a saber combat overhaul in the future:
    Light Attack- press fire
    Heavy Attack- press and hold fire; not like previous heavy attack where it is on a cooldown, but it isn't as powerful. It's like any other game; slower but stronger than a Light Attack.
    Block-press/hold ADS
    Parry-while blocking, press Attack just before an attack hits (requires EXTREMELY precise timing)

Interactions:
    Light Attack + Block = successful block, light attack can continue to chain into other attacks
    Light Attack + Parry = successful parry, opens up the attacker briefly for a successful counter Light Attack from defender
    Heavy Attack + Block = successful block, but the defender's guard is considerably depleted. Blocking to many Heavy Attacks will make you lose your guard temporarily, leaving the defender open to the attacker
    Heavy Attack+ Parry = successful parry, but attacker isn't unbalanced and leads to both recovering at around the same time, allows for the defender to change things up
    Light Attack + Light Attack = both combatants effectively cancel out eachother's attacks, and can continue to smash the attack button for some fast paced combat. However, both must time their attacks to the other's, or they can risk being damaged.
    Heavy Attack + Light Attack = The aggressor who used the Heavy Attack decimates the one who sadly used the Light Attack; the Heavy Attack blocks the Light Attack and stumbles the opponent, leaving them open for a possible Light Attack. However, like the Parry, this is EXTREMELY hard to time (requires either luck or some prediction for the majority of the time)
    Heavy Attack + Heavy Attack = Saber Clash; similar to the last game, but the winner deals heavy damage to the loser. Can disengage as well by dodging out in a direction, but can be hit with a Light Attack or clipped by the Heavy Attack they were clashing against.
    You know what we need!
    But what happens if both use the light attack? There should be a chain attack combo or something like that, and I think that if you use the heavy attack you are going to get exposed before and after
    And parry is the same as dodge? (I’m from Mexico so my English is not the best)
    Light Attack- press fire
    Block-press/hold ADS

Interactions:
    You know what we need!
    But what happens if both use the light attack? There should be a chain attack combo or something like that, and I think that if you use the heavy attack you are going to get exposed before and after
    And parry is the same as dodge? (I’m from Mexico so my English is not the best)

Well, a Light Attack from you colliding with a Light Attack from the enemy would result in a high-speed, high-risk-high-reward exchange of swings. You'd basically block their attack with an attack of your own or vice versa, but it also gives you the chance of getting a hit on them.

Also, what I mean by a parry is that you not only block the attack, but you then apply enough force to block it that is stumbles them/opens them up and allows you to counter attack.

• bfloo
    14992 posts Member
    Sabers do clash if both players time the combos right.

I've only seen it happen once so far between Rey and Vader.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

Really? Hmm, interesting...

• bfloo
    14992 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

Really? Hmm, interesting...

It isn't like the last game where you need to button mash once they clash, but it was a good visual.

h846398gb27k.png

• They really need to add private matches so we can test all of this
  • bfloo wrote: »

Can you post the link?
  • Krimson wrote: »
    They really need to add private matches so we can test all of this

I agree, and a server browser
  • bfloo
    14992 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

Can you post the link?

I can't figure out how to record a full game on X1.

h846398gb27k.png