criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

[spoilers] The true hero of the Empire!

2Next

Replies

• meh, who cares about space ***** anyway? To defect is the only reasonable course of action.
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »
    They destroyed Alderaan which was a peaceful planet. They only destroyed Alderaan because they wanted to test out their weapon. They had no enemies on Alderaan.

Alderaan - home to Bail Organa, one of the founders and facilitators of the rebellion - I think the destruction of Alderaan was punishment for his actions.

Why is Leia on Naboo in the Campaign? Doing a garage sale of her dead mum's stuff I suppose...
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    I agree, fun campaign (altho too many hero missions in the middle) but terrible reason for turning. I followed the same logic as you. No problem when Vader and Tarkin Ordered planets and imperial garrisons destroyed with innocents on them, but operation cinder crosses the line?
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    I agree with everything except how operation cinder is dumb.

It is very dumb because black holing your infastructure and conscription pool during a Galaxy spanning war turned palpatines character from a brilliant forward thinking tactician into Attila the Hun or Joseph Stalin, a brute with a large ax to swing and not caring what gets cut down as its being swung. Hes luck there was a First Order to create tbh
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    Hrafn_Fel wrote: »
    If you have not played the campaign yet, I would suggest you click of this thread as it will contain major spoilers!
    First off I would like to say I liked the campaign but was also disappointed with it at the same time. Iden becoming a traitor was sadly expected but wasn’t expecting it to happen so soon. We got to play very few missions with her on the empire side before she becomes a traitor. She’s even given Finn some competition as worst stormtrooper ever. At least Finn was never really committed to the FO to begin with, but she was supposedly some highly trained special ops that seemed to not have much struggle deciding to switch sides. She had no problem protecting a planet destroying battle station that destroyed planets but somehow operation cinder crosses the line? Really? Someone on Reddit mentioned the idea of hask being the real hero of the game and I haft to I agree. We were promised a campaign story from the point the view of the empire and instead we got a campaign that was mainly focused on a traitor and her view from the resistance. The whole operation cinder thing is horrible, but that’s for another topic. Really hope we could get campaign DLC from the point of view of hask and learn how he survived the fall of the empire and joined the first order. This would be the real experience and give us a true view from someone in the empire! It would be amazing to see him take his rank in the FO and interact with Kylo Ren and the first order. What do you guys think?
    457fcpxwo5zz.jpg

You didnt read the swbf2 book did you?
    after reading the book I saw the side swap coming a mile away.

I clearly stated in my post that her switch was expected. I was sure she would likely defect just not that early

Well the book explains a lot of what you had listed.
    iden didn't like the death star and what they did to Alderaan but accepted it. Also a planet you think of as a rebel planet is different than her home planet/loyal imperial world.

Nothing in the book helps the fact that that a supposedly highly trained special forces trooper had little hesitation switching sides because she didn’t like an order she was given.
    Iden and Del said in the confrontation with Hask that the Empire wasn't the same as the one they joined to fight for. They protected imperial citizens not slaughtered them. So they changed sides because the Empire wasn't the same Empire.

But the innocent on Alderaan was okay in their eyes? You can think whatever you want about her, but i already knew everything that you’ve stated. It’s not gonna change my opinion about it.

Iden and del both had problems with Alderaan but they just accepted it. The book brings up that innocent and even imperial loyal pepple were on the planet. But it was a rebel planet and it was acceptable losses. But with them attacking her home a loyal imperial planet she had issues with that. It's all understandable to me but Idk I would recommend reading the book.

I’m aware of the contents in the book as I’ve already stated but it still doesn’t change my opinion one bit. Being okay with what happened with Alderaan but not okay with the operation cinder is hard to believe IMO. What’s even more of a problem is that we were told we would get a campaign from the imperial point of view, when we got basically the exact opposite. That’s why we need a hask DLC

American citizens and military personnel were ok when the government droped nuclear bombs on two enemy civilian population centers. Even most people who were against the idea could understand and except what was being called a necessity. Do you think they would still be ok if the government decided to nuke Texas?

2 totally different situations and you know it lol! Please lol!!

Alderaan was destroyed to show fear and intimidation on a single person and control a galaxy lead by 2 guys belonging to essentially a creepy cult. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed to prevent a land invasion of Japan which would have meant millions of dead Americans and Japanese,japanese had millions upon millions of troops and civilians who refused to accept they lost the war to the Allies.

HUGE Fing DIFFERENCE. Lol

You understand that they were civilian populations right? It was literally to strike fear into the heart of the Japanese. Blowing up Alderon would likely break the spirt of many in the rebellion, causing them to give up the fight. They could only muster a tiny fleet to actually assult the Death Star.

If it wasn't for plot armor and the force the destruction of Alderon might as well have been the death toll of the rebel alliance. How many more live would be saved on both sides of the war if they had been successful? Millions? Billions?

I understand the scale is different, but the concept is the same. By being tied to the rebellion Alderon was a possible target, just like any city in Japan was a possible target for the allies.

And you guys both ignored the question. Regardless of reasonings do you really think American soilders would be ok with he goverment attacking loyal American citizens with weapons of mass destruction?

Wrong again. The japanese were ready to fight to the last man and woman to defend the emperor in a final conflict. That was the last period of japanese history where they believed their leader was a god and no one should dare dethrone him. What, did you think they wanted to end the war and we just bombed them for fun? Not at all.

How many would have been saved??? Not many considering the Emperor and Vader would probly have still ended up killing Billions of people in future uprisings. Your have to be crazy to think Alderaans destruction would snuff any and all forms of future resistence out of the entire galaxy. "The more you try to tighten your grip the more systems will slip through your fingers,Tarkin" -Leia. Even looking at real history you can see when people are totally broken and have little to lose is when things get worse, Russia in the early 1900s, France in the 1790s. Total Bloodbaths in periods after public opression was at its height

And that last part about Americans being OK with using weapons on themselves is a moot point due to the hole in the plot- Alderaan was sympathetic towards the rebellion but still filled with multitudes of Citizens of the Empire, thats like saying we blow up all of Ohio because terrorists have Columbus.

...But considering how violent people are over here and how everyone is backed into their corners. Dont be surprised if you see Americans Nuke a city one day and see a bunch of comments saying "good,that was a Liberal city, dont need more of them"
  • Strogg1980 wrote: »
    I agree, fun campaign (altho too many hero missions in the middle) but terrible reason for turning. I followed the same logic as you. No problem when Vader and Tarkin Ordered planets and imperial garrisons destroyed with innocents on them, but operation cinder crosses the line?

It is very dumb because black holing your infastructure and conscription pool during a Galaxy spanning war turned palpatines character from a brilliant forward thinking tactician into Attila the Hun or Joseph Stalin, a brute with a large ax to swing and not caring what gets cut down as its being swung. Hes luck there was a First Order to create tbh
    If you have not played the campaign yet, I would suggest you click of this thread as it will contain major spoilers!
    First off I would like to say I liked the campaign but was also disappointed with it at the same time. Iden becoming a traitor was sadly expected but wasn’t expecting it to happen so soon. We got to play very few missions with her on the empire side before she becomes a traitor. She’s even given Finn some competition as worst stormtrooper ever. At least Finn was never really committed to the FO to begin with, but she was supposedly some highly trained special ops that seemed to not have much struggle deciding to switch sides. She had no problem protecting a planet destroying battle station that destroyed planets but somehow operation cinder crosses the line? Really? Someone on Reddit mentioned the idea of hask being the real hero of the game and I haft to I agree. We were promised a campaign story from the point the view of the empire and instead we got a campaign that was mainly focused on a traitor and her view from the resistance. The whole operation cinder thing is horrible, but that’s for another topic. Really hope we could get campaign DLC from the point of view of hask and learn how he survived the fall of the empire and joined the first order. This would be the real experience and give us a true view from someone in the empire! It would be amazing to see him take his rank in the FO and interact with Kylo Ren and the first order. What do you guys think?
    457fcpxwo5zz.jpg

I clearly stated in my post that her switch was expected. I was sure she would likely defect just not that early

iden didn't like the death star and what they did to Alderaan but accepted it. Also a planet you think of as a rebel planet is different than her home planet/loyal imperial world.

Nothing in the book helps the fact that that a supposedly highly trained special forces trooper had little hesitation switching sides because she didn’t like an order she was given.
    Iden and Del said in the confrontation with Hask that the Empire wasn't the same as the one they joined to fight for. They protected imperial citizens not slaughtered them. So they changed sides because the Empire wasn't the same Empire.

But the innocent on Alderaan was okay in their eyes? You can think whatever you want about her, but i already knew everything that you’ve stated. It’s not gonna change my opinion about it.

Iden and del both had problems with Alderaan but they just accepted it. The book brings up that innocent and even imperial loyal pepple were on the planet. But it was a rebel planet and it was acceptable losses. But with them attacking her home a loyal imperial planet she had issues with that. It's all understandable to me but Idk I would recommend reading the book.

I’m aware of the contents in the book as I’ve already stated but it still doesn’t change my opinion one bit. Being okay with what happened with Alderaan but not okay with the operation cinder is hard to believe IMO. What’s even more of a problem is that we were told we would get a campaign from the imperial point of view, when we got basically the exact opposite. That’s why we need a hask DLC

American citizens and military personnel were ok when the government droped nuclear bombs on two enemy civilian population centers. Even most people who were against the idea could understand and except what was being called a necessity. Do you think they would still be ok if the government decided to nuke Texas?

Alderaan was destroyed to show fear and intimidation on a single person and control a galaxy lead by 2 guys belonging to essentially a creepy cult. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed to prevent a land invasion of Japan which would have meant millions of dead Americans and Japanese,japanese had millions upon millions of troops and civilians who refused to accept they lost the war to the Allies.

The Empire used the Death Star to maintain order, assuming that planets would remain loyal for fear of gazing at a Death Star dwarfing their horizon. This strategy of shock and awe should be quite familiar to anyone who has studied nuclear deterrence or lived through the Cold War, as illustrated by this debate between the reluctant engineer Galen Erso and his Imperial taskmaster Orson Krennic in R1.

Krennic: “We were this close to providing peace and security for the galaxy.”

Galen Erso: “You’re confusing peace with terror.”

Krennic: “Well, you have to start somewhere.”

Aldeeran’s destruction. . . Let’s begin:

The fictional strategic theorist behind this act promised it would send a message to any other star systems—a premise that could have been borrowed from real events. In his 1965 book Atomic Diplomacy: Hiroshima and Potsdam, historian and political economist Gar Alperovitz made a similar argument in his analysis of President Harry S. Truman’s decision to drop atomic bombs on Japan. According to Alperovitz, Hiroshima and Nagasaki’s destruction was less about convincing Japan to surrender and more about creating leverage for the United States to use in future disputes with the Soviet Union. Even if the motivation was the island nation’s surrender, this strategy was only possible with nuclear weapons acting as what Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson deemed a “psychological weapon” of “such a revolutionary character that its use against the enemy might well be expected to produce exactly the kind of shock” desired. This is the Death Star’s mission statement.

So no, it’s not entirely different. It’s no coincidence Jedha’s destruction also resembled a nuclear explosion.
    "With the elimination of the traitorous Jedi . . . our presence let the galaxy know that the days of the Old Republic were well and truly over. We were establishing a new era, an era of Order and Peace."-Clone Trooper.

"I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new Empire."-Darth Vader.

tumblr_oohhok4GYT1w5773no1_400.gif
  • TheEmpire wrote: »
    Strogg1980 wrote: »

457fcpxwo5zz.jpg

The Empire used the Death Star to maintain order, assuming that planets would remain loyal for fear of gazing at a Death Star dwarfing their horizon. This strategy of shock and awe should be quite familiar to anyone who has studied nuclear deterrence or lived through the Cold War, as illustrated by this debate between the reluctant engineer Galen Erso and his Imperial taskmaster Orson Krennic in R1.

Krennic: “We were this close to providing peace and security for the galaxy.”

Galen Erso: “You’re confusing peace with terror.”

Krennic: “Well, you have to start somewhere.”

Aldeeran’s destruction. . . Let’s begin:

The fictional strategic theorist behind this act promised it would send a message to any other star systems—a premise that could have been borrowed from real events. In his 1965 book Atomic Diplomacy: Hiroshima and Potsdam, historian and political economist Gar Alperovitz made a similar argument in his analysis of President Harry S. Truman’s decision to drop atomic bombs on Japan. According to Alperovitz, Hiroshima and Nagasaki’s destruction was less about convincing Japan to surrender and more about creating leverage for the United States to use in future disputes with the Soviet Union. Even if the motivation was the island nation’s surrender, this strategy was only possible with nuclear weapons acting as what Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson deemed a “psychological weapon” of “such a revolutionary character that its use against the enemy might well be expected to produce exactly the kind of shock” desired. This is the Death Star’s mission statement.

So no, it’s not entirely different. It’s no coincidence Jedha’s destruction also resembled a nuclear explosion.

According to his theory,is the key there. I think the idea of Japan waging a one sided war against the pacific with tens of millions of civilians and remaining troops fanatically worshipping the emperor and threatening to fight to the end was a far more immidiate threat than a land locked country with 0 infastructure and almost no economy left to back it at that moment (Russia).

Also we can use another aspect of history to debunk that. When people are at their lowest point and are beaten down by an oppressive government with nothing left to lose, thats when they become more active,revolutionary and violent. Look at Russia in the early 1900s, or before the fall of the Soviets, Or the French Revolution, Or the Goths when they were starved and enslaved and forced into service in Eastern Rome.
    "The more you tighten your grip,Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers"-Leia.

History teaches ruling totally through fear is a failed tactic.

So again Nuking an Island Empire to end a war that would end horribly =/= ruling a galaxy through fear by destroying planets
  • Still think finn wins in terms of just leaving. I mean he was trained since a child to love the first order and such but on his first mission he defects. That makes as much sense as rey being a master of the force.
  • Still think finn wins in terms of just leaving. I mean he was trained since a child to love the first order and such but on his first mission he defects. That makes as much sense as rey being a master of the force.

Yeah will haft to agree there. Finn also seems pretty incompetent in many situations lol
  • gzcnr
    290 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    457fcpxwo5zz.jpg

Hmm. Nice example. Now i am convinced that Iden's motivations were believable during the campaign. You cant order an American pilot to nuke an American city.

But it doenst turn that american pilot to a cold blooded gi joe killer right away i think.

Thx for the post.
  • bfloo
    15726 posts Member
    Still think finn wins in terms of just leaving. I mean he was trained since a child to love the first order and such but on his first mission he defects. That makes as much sense as rey being a master of the force.

Yeah will haft to agree there. Finn also seems pretty incompetent in many situations lol

They sent a garbage man to war :|

I know other sources say Finn was a 'great' Stormtrooper, but why would he end up in sanitation?

I can understand him being shook after his 1st battle, but both Crylo and Phasma noticed and just let him wander around as if it wasn't problem.

The FO makes Admiral Ozzil look better and better :(
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »
    Still think finn wins in terms of just leaving. I mean he was trained since a child to love the first order and such but on his first mission he defects. That makes as much sense as rey being a master of the force.

I know other sources say Finn was a 'great' Stormtrooper, but why would he end up in sanitation?

I can understand him being shook after his 1st battle, but both Crylo and Phasma noticed and just let him wander around as if it wasn't problem.

I think Sanitation was his first job. Sort of worked up from there until the Jakku job when he broke.

• bfloo
    15726 posts Member
    Gorvar wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »

I think Sanitation was his first job. Sort of worked up from there until the Jakku job when he broke.

I really wish they left that part out.

I didn't like the character much to begin with, I found him inconsistent and poorly written.

Then he worked Sanitation on Starkiller Base on top of it. :(
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png