criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar

Getting kills with Officer Turret

Hi there,

Do you have any tips how to get kills with Officer turrets?

There is also an "achivement" called "good luck turret"
You have to get 50 kills with officer turret to receive a Turret Lootcrate.
But it seems it is impossible to achive, since the turret has such a short range and that long of a lockon time, that everyone has an easy job avoiding it and than take it out. It is that bad of an ability that an assault or heavy can even 1v1 you when you have the turret near you and than it gets destroyed.

Is there any good way to get these 50 kills with the turret? I'm playing since early trial and have only 3 kills with it.

(and Yes I tried also to flank the enemy and put the turret behind them. and also to place them in tight corridors into the corner to have a full view of the room. But anyone can just peak and shoot it, or the heavy will simply walk in with the shield.)

Replies

• The easiest way, I'd assume, is place the turret down in a heavily contested hallway (anywhere on Kamino in the first phase, and after the second phase would be best), and wound, but dont kill enemies with your pistol. I don't play Officer much, and I don't do super well when I do, but this is the best advice I can think of. Maybe craft the upgraded turret star card? It defeats the purpose of getting it in the crate, but it seems the easiest way to get those kills
  • I have got the upgraded turret and tried it out on Kamino + other maps - not much of a use! Same is valid for pretty much any type of granade/mine - they used to be so much more effective in BF1. The new barrage is worthless as well.

• I have got the upgraded turret and tried it out on Kamino + other maps - not much of a use! Same is valid for pretty much any type of granade/mine - they used to be so much more effective in BF1. The new barrage is worthless as well.

I disagree with barrage. rooms where it's hard to get in cause there's so many people, I bounce grenades off the wall in corners to get them in and help clear rooms
  • Nihil
    208 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Well grenades are pretty powerfull. Especially in chokes where the game turns into a grenade spamming fest :P

I disagree with barrage. rooms where it's hard to get in cause there's so many people, I bounce grenades off the wall in corners to get them in and help clear rooms

It got better after upgrading to the blue color...
  • This one took a while but my little buddy did it. As mentioned above, you should upgrade it to at least rare (blue) for it to be worthwhile. The increase in health definitely helps, otherwise, it dies too quickly. Keep in mind it has two functions: gun and explosive.

I place it around a corner, near a busy spot I know the enemy will be coming by (while I ninja hide around said corner). I don't shoot at the enemy at first, I let the turret do its thing, but will pop out to take a shot or two to distract the player as need be (turrets can take down an unaware soldier quickly). Stay near enough to continue auto-repairing the turret, but just far enough away that you can combat roll to safety if the turret takes too much damage.

Also, another nice trick is to place it in a doorway when defending, and when they walk through the door I will detonate the turret for a kill or two. I had that one the other day on Tatooine. Defending the cantina, a player jumped over my turret thinking he was safe. I pulled back for safety, and detonated for the kill.

Lastly, when you are doing officer weapons kills challenges, use the turret to your advantage, to distract players from you, while you finish them off.

For any of you familiar with Mass Effect 3 MP, this little guy is kinda like my combat drone, and me the pistol-toting engineer. Man I loved that combat drone.

Overall, it's going to take some time to achieve this, but just keep going at it, refining your tactics.
  • http://abload.de/image.php?img=starwarsbattlefrontii6wsy6.jpg

I did it in ~ 2 days. Strike and deathmatch. I was not focused about turret kills and I only place it where I think it makes sense. Almost close to the objective and on long corridors. It's easy to over jump them on a corner.. it needs to much log time. I should have ~80 kills with the turret now. Default one. Sometimes I use flash grenade and put the turret down to escape. I almost ever get the kill(s). Love the grenade and it really helps. Got spot for the turret is on buildings. Tatooine etc..
  • Put it in weird corners where people will run past it and get shot in the back. While you distract them from the front.
  • This one was a pain. I agree with Hobo that corners are good where someone will run past and get shot in the back.

However, I can't tell you how many times I died trying to place it in the open. It might slow people down but usually won't kill anyone.

Also, remember to detonate it when the battlefield has moved on so you can place it in a more effective new position.
  • NYCtrooper wrote: »
    This one was a pain. I agree with Hobo that corners are good where someone will run past and get shot in the back.

However, I can't tell you how many times I died trying to place it in the open. It might slow people down but usually won't kill anyone.

Also, remember to detonate it when the battlefield has moved on so you can place it in a more effective new position.

You can also re-position it without detonating. Talking about detonating, how do you do it? Not really working for me unless I press multiple times the RB (on XBOX). Press an hold RB didn't work either...
  • A good tip with the turret I noticed:

If you place the turret but then get killed, don't press the button to respawn immediately. Wait until the game automatically sends you back to the soldier selection screen because only then will your turret disappear from the game. In the few seconds before it does, it may kill other enemies. This sometimes happens and is a good way to eke out a few more turret kills, especially if you tend to get killed while placing the turret.
  • Definitely this. Few things are as satisfying as a revenge turret kill before respawning.
  • GodKC
    245 posts Member
    The officer class isn't straightforward, you can't just engage the enemy like you would if you're an assault trooper. When I play as an officer, I'm pretty aggressive, but you have to play strategically.

If you put the turret in a doorway, you might get a few kills, but people will see it quickly and destroy it. The best way to place your turret is in corners at hard to see angles. I recommend staying close to it, but don't let it tether you. I have left it strategically to hold-off the enemy while I attend to another choke point for defensive purposes.

- GodKC

If you're looking for a teammate for HvV or GA, send me an invite online.

XBOX Gamertag: GodKC
  • Rismus
    99 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I've demolished people with the turret before and my Officer right now is built around maximixing turret use. It's still a support build but I've gotten 10+ killstreaks with a turret before in one life.

The main thing to remember is that it is NOT built for a straight-up fight. You either have to (a) flank or ambush people with it, (b) shoot alongside it so people have to choose a target or (c) place on the outskirts of big fights so people don't notice it. It has amazing range and great accuracy - but takes a bit of time to lock on so it's not that useful in holding corridors or in areas with heavy cover.

TIPS

#1. PLACE IT HIGH
    This basically makes it immune to grenades - you can't throw a Thermal Detonator next to it if it's right on a ledge or cliff. It's also much less obvious and people will run into a clearing and die to it not realizing it's there. Works best on Endor (Rebel Spawn - Cliffs, Imperial Spawn - Steel Tower Walkways and Ewok Treehouse Walkways) Kashyyyk (all the Wookie house balconies and walkways) Hoth (big open areas with hills) and ESPECIALLY Yavin IV - there are ledges and stairs facing into the Ion Turret rooms in Phase 1 that you can heal it through a wall with. Which brings me to my next point...

#2. HEAL IT
    Place it so you are either healing it through a wall or place it a bit ahead of the corner you are taking cover behind so the explosion doesn't hurt you. It's much better if you can shoot with it, instead of just staring at it from behind cover- so enemies have to choose between shooting it or you. By the time you get Improved Turret, a turret healed through a wall is very hard to kill without explosives.

#3. BUFF IT
    Use Recharge Command so you can have your turret up all the time. This is borderline OP as I run a build with Improved Turret + Recharge Command meaning my turret is always, and I mean always up. If they blow it up I just pop Recharge Command and put another one down - and Recharge Command itself has a shorter cooldown than the turret. If that turret blows up then Improved Turret is already off cooldown. If that blows up then Recharge Command is off cooldown. Ad infinitum. You can also equip Defuser so any incoming explosives are automatically defused around you - you'll get a lot of grenades thrown at you when you're healing your turret.

#4. PICK IT UP
    Don't leave it behind or detonate it. It's too hard to get Det kills - and the cooldown to spawn another turret is long without Recharge Command or Improved Turret. Go back and pick it up to bring it with you.

...you'll soon get a knack for where to place it to get the most kills. Try and surprise people with it - I repeat, it is NOT built for a straight-up fight and will not kill people with no-one else around unless it is very well-placed on a ledge shooting through leaves and brush. The best places are often in cover overlooking a medium-sized clearing. Also remember that for every kill you get, you probably denied 3-4 people from advancing forward. The true strength of the turret is as a deterrent and support device, which it excels at, especially when being healed. Use it to cover the hall you're not looking at and listen for the click of the lock-on to alert you to flankers. Place it where wounded people hide like under the Juggernauts in Kashyyyk. Drop it to even the odds in a fight. I often run straight into a heavily defended area, drop a turret, and roll away into cover before people know what happened.

I used to get about half my kills with the Turret - until I unlocked the Bluurg of course, but that's because that gun is a powerhouse.
    [XB1] RECRUITING GA STARFIGHTER PILOTS HERE:
    BLACK SQUADRON RECRUITMENT THREAD
  • Nihil wrote: »
    Hi there,

Do you have any tips how to get kills with Officer turrets?

There is also an "achievement" called "good luck turret"
    You have to get 50 kills with officer turret to receive a Turret Lootcrate.
    But it seems it is impossible to achieve, since the turret has such a short range and that long of a lock on time, that everyone has an easy job avoiding it and then take it out. It is that bad of an ability that an assault or heavy can even 1v1 you when you have the turret near you and then it gets destroyed.

Is there any good way to get these 50 kills with the turret? I'm playing since the early trial and have only 3 kills with it.

(and Yes I tried also to flank the enemy and put the turret behind them. and also to place them in tight corridors into the corner to have a full view of the room. But anyone can just peak and shoot it, or the heavy will simply walk in with the shield.)

What I do is place the turret down and flashbang all of the opponents in the area
    the best map to do this in is Kamino arcade in some corridors (such as the one leading to the hangar) or in the main entrance of Takodana MP or arcade as the small entrance limits the amount of enemies coming in at once
  • I don't struggle. In fact, majority of my officer kills have been from turrets
  • I have Blue Improved Turret.
    I just learned some places that made sense to drop it and the kills came in.
    I got the milestone after a week.

The turret is also a great warning indicator and will show you the direction the enemy is approaching from if they are in it's arc. I find it to be a great tool.

Also if you see it get swarmed, don't be afraid to detonate it as that will kill anybody close to it.

Good luck.
  • To me it seems the turret works better in recognizing targets when its on elevation. When its on level ground at the same level as its targets, it tends to pan scan and not notice. But it feels like when its higher up, pointing a bit down its line of effect and line of sight match more.
  • Really easy tutorial made by me
  • I got loads on Blast using it.
    My youtube channel Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 4 etc gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF4zDYJfLp_rvcKzALVEXHA?view_as=subscriber
  • Losobal wrote: »
    To me it seems the turret works better in recognizing targets when its on elevation. When its on level ground at the same level as its targets, it tends to pan scan and not notice. But it feels like when its higher up, pointing a bit down its line of effect and line of sight match more.

So what you're saying is "it's over enemy target, I have the high ground!"?
  • I got insane kills (along with everyone else) in Strike on Endor - either side - if you can get the death zone going at the big doors leading out. Seems to happen naturally pretty often.

As above - i had recharge command - would just keep placing turrets and, with the endless nade lobbing and sentry guns - it got enough kills along with the assists to add up.

Also, as the corner advice - but putting the turret somewhere where it covers YOU rather then you behind it can help. You can dodge, duck, and roll - with improved battle command for HP - and then let the turret do the killing.
  • You don’t need the improved turret. All you have to do is put the turret at a choke point door at the very beginning of a map and stand at a 90 degree angle to it to continue to repair the turret.
    I can hold either of the doors at the entrance to the computer station on Endor in this way by my self.
    I run lvl 4 Officers Pressence, Bounty Hunter, and Improved Battle Command as my card set, and use the standard grenade and turret. I mainly use the fully upgraded SE44, but will switch to the second gun (S-5?) with ion shot if there’s a lot of vehicles that need destroyed. I normally end up on the leader board, and typically don’t use any hero’s.