criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Star Fighter Assault... Amazing!

I'm thankful to Criterion to making an incredible game mode that's always fun and really immerses you in the Star Wars fantasy. I love the map designs, they are all so beautiful! Also, the little things really immerse you further, like the capital ships jumping in at the start of the Ryloth battle. Hero ships are great, my favorite is Yoda's and Vader's. There is only one main issue, and it's that I can't seem to win as attack on Death Star II Debris. I think a solution is to give 20 additional reinforcements after the destruction of the mines, because that's as far as I get. Also, I've only won on Ryloth once, and I play that map all the times. Maybe take a look? Anyway, favorite game mode by far. Great job, can't wait for the new space battle in the Last Jedi season!

Replies

• I agree, this mode is one of the best video game experiences I've had. I would have brought the game for SA alone.

I've played it far more than anything else since launch and have seen equal balance on Ryloth and Death Star 2 debris. Then again 9/10 games I get MVP, and most kills, so often feel like I'm carrying the team. I find wins are purely determined by how many others on my side focus on the objective with me. Sometimes no matter how well I'm playing, even games where I've got some of my best scores ever, if there aren't at least a couple of others on my team going for the objective, we will inevitably loose.
  • Still needs a radar, though.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • Still needs a radar, though.

Agree. And matches are way, way too short. They need to increase them by 100% and I'd be in heaven. There have been games in SA that I litterally spent more time loading/respawning than playing, lasting a whole 3 minutes. Other than the ridiculous short matches at times, it's the only mp mode I can play religiously daily and not get bored/upset at. GA is hit/mix most games, some are fun. Some are with people who are just padding kills, not playing objective and some with afk's.

• It’s a great game mode, for sure. Now, if they could only add a radar and remove the cross-era nonsense it’d be a true winner!
  • Oh yea and wt.. is up with Arc-270s middle ability (rear gun). Out of all the ships we have, this one really stinks. I have yet to kill anyone with it lol Anyone think we should do away with it and give it something better? I do.

• ZeroAffex wrote: »
    Oh yea and wt.. is up with Arc-270s middle ability (rear gun). Out of all the ships we have, this one really stinks. I have yet to kill anyone with it lol Anyone think we should do away with it and give it something better? I do.

I actually find it to be pretty awsome. It's my favorite fighter because of how cool the back gunner is. I just wish there was a way to play gunner like in the old school BFs. My old roommate and I used to pilot/copilot snow speeders on Hoth constantly. The timing to pull off a two man tow cable guy run was fun to master.

I prefer to fly bombers usually but now that all those challenges are complete I'm usually in a fighter or an interceptor.
  • It’s a great game mode, for sure. Now, if they could only add a radar and remove the cross-era nonsense it’d be a true winner!

I don't see a point in a radar?

So you can get a better sense of where your opponents are. At any given time, I only see about 4 or so red triangles on screen telling me where enemy ships are, but that's only a fraction of how many there actually are and it often doesn't alert you to the ship that's coming up behind you and blasts you out of the sky. Modern-day military aircrafts have radars so you'd think that super-advanced starfighters like these should have them as well.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
  • absolutely, now what I want for the mode

We got hero ships, why not support ships?

B-wings? TIE Defenders? Z-95 headhunters?
    2aHWXlI.gif
  • I wish there was an offline mode. Other than that, the only other annoying thing is playing HvV over and over for the massive battlepoints needed to level my overall character in order to upgrade my starfighter star cards so I can level my starfighters until I reach cap again and return to HvV for more battlepoints to level my character in order to upgrade my starfighter star cards...
    Oh yea and wt.. is up with Arc-270s middle ability (rear gun). Out of all the ships we have, this one really stinks. I have yet to kill anyone with it lol Anyone think we should do away with it and give it something better? I do.

Oh dude, I dunno. That rear gunner is a beast. I get killed by that all the time. Enough that I tend to avoid pursuing Arcs unless I can get the jump from another angle.

I just want a proper party system so I can play with friends. After that, let me share targeting data and when I'm being attacked with my partner to encourage a wingman style of play, complete with battle point rewards for working together.
  • I agree, this mode is fantastic. It's the reason I bought this.
  • It’s a great mode, I love the new flying controls. I also find the attacking team nearly always looses. Perhaps just an adjustment to the strength of the objective would be enough to balance things.
  • lok
    959 posts Member
    Star fighter is epic,just the experience is enough for me!...i hope they can add an offline space battle in arcade mode asap
  • This mode is a standalone game basically, I'm surprised EA even put it as part of Battlefront and not reboot the Rouge Squadron series. Well, let's just hope they don't think of that.
    giphy.gif
  • OK, we seriously need a radar for SA. I just spent probably the better part of half a match on Kamino trying to find and then get away from someone who was shooting at me. I even went so far from the objective that I ended up out of bounds several times. Then they put a hard lock on me and I really couldn't get away. I kept hoping this **** would let me go but he didn't and eventually got me, but if I had a radar then I'd probably have stood a better chance because then I'd know exactly where they were.

Also, when I move the starship the targeting reticle moves with it but I've seen SA footage on YT that shows people moving the tageting reticle of the starfighters independently from the ship. I play on PS4 and the footage is mostly of PC players, so is this something you can only do on PC or is it some sort of setting you can change?
    My Concepts
  • gio0079
    563 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    It’s a great game mode, for sure. Now, if they could only add a radar and remove the cross-era nonsense it’d be a true winner!

Yes, a radar would make it way too easy, at least for me.
    Also, when I move the starship the targeting reticle moves with it but I've seen SA footage on YT that shows people moving the tageting reticle of the starfighters independently from the ship. I play on PS4 and the footage is mostly of PC players, so is this something you can only do on PC or is it some sort of setting you can change?
    Yes, it's the mouse flight controls on PC. You can't do that on consoles.
  • I like it a lot. I just wish the controls for accelerate and decelerate weren't on the same stick for rolling. It makes flying troublesome at times.
  • The First Order interceptor (special force TIE) also has a rear gunner.
  • I just won on Death Star ii today with only about 20 reinforcements left and we all played the objective. I still think that map needs a little buff to the imps.
  • Phan816tom
    14 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    So far this is my favorite game mode in BF2. I like the new controls. Although I do have to admit, the Endor map is a pain in the a$$.

I think it's a pretty good fighter. It isn't the most maneuverable, but it can sure soak up a ton of damage. I usually have to take a couple passes on it if I'm in a vulture Droid.
  • I'm thankful to Criterion to making an incredible game mode that's always fun and really immerses you in the Star Wars fantasy. I love the map designs, they are all so beautiful! Also, the little things really immerse you further, like the capital ships jumping in at the start of the Ryloth battle. Hero ships are great, my favorite is Yoda's and Vader's. There is only one main issue, and it's that I can't seem to win as attack on Death Star II Debris. I think a solution is to give 20 additional reinforcements after the destruction of the mines, because that's as far as I get. Also, I've only won on Ryloth once, and I play that map all the times. Maybe take a look? Anyway, favorite game mode by far. Great job, can't wait for the new space battle in the Last Jedi season!

Yeah I find myself playing this mode most often. I'm not totally into the GA just yet. SA isn't quite as good as the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, but it's still a good time. To make the perfect starfighter game, all a developer would have to do is use the gameplay from the X-Wing series, and use BF2's graphics engine, and they'd have a hit on their hands.
  • best game ever
  • best game ever

Correction: Best. MODE. Ever.
    giphy.gif
  • SA is great, if only it were possible to actually get all of the star cards in less than 2,000,000,000,000 hours... :'^(
  • pterotactycaL
    5 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    This mode is not that good. There's no real skill involved. Once someone is on you there's very little you can do to shake them, assuming they're not complete trash. I even use advanced flight and control the roll myself. I'm a much better pilot than most and it still doesn't seem to matter. Often times it just ends up being both players turning right until someone else kills one of you. There's no real sense of speed either. Not fun.
  • Oak_Beard
    82 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm so happy my friend forced me to play this. I've had absolutely no interest in playing SA since the game came out, but for the last 10 days it's been all I've played. The hero ships are incredibly fun, objectives are well thought out and rewarding, and the whole experience is extremely cinematic.

If you haven't really tried it, give it a few hours. It's amazing.
  • the radar is red triangles on the hud kiddpo
  • Oak_Beard wrote: »
    I'm so happy my friend forced me to play this. I've had absolutely no interest in playing SA since the game came out, but for the last 10 days it's been all I've played. The hero ships are incredibly fun, objectives are well thought out and rewarding, and the whole experience is extremely cinematic.

Glad you're having fun, but don't necropost next time.
    Army or not, you must realize....you are doomed.
    tumblr_m83kl8wd161rv3w3po2_500.gif

You'd prefer I start a new topic on exactly the same thing?
  • While this is active, can anyone explain why I sometimes can't lock my missiles onto enemy fighters (NOT bombers with the lock scrambler on)? Sometimes it just beeps at me, shows a white diamond around the player I'm trying to attack, and refuses to attempt a missile lock.
    Oak_Beard wrote: »

Alas, according to the rules, the forum overseers would prefer just that.
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sort of an atypical/joke song, all their other songs are way better)

Gamertag: Billkwando
    Find me circling, and crashing, in Starfighter Assault.
  • While this is active, can anyone explain why I sometimes can't lock my missiles onto enemy fighters (NOT bombers with the lock scrambler on)? Sometimes it just beeps at me, shows a white diamond around the player I'm trying to attack, and refuses to attempt a missile lock.

Probably they have jammer cards, so it takes longer to lock on? (Guessing)
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• It could also they they are outside the lockon hitbox. Without the lockon angle star card they need to stay near the center area for the lockon to process.
  • JustinReade
    460 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    This mode is a home run, indeed. I look forward to more maps, including some planetary ones, to mix up the experience. Oh, and maybe a ROTJ type follow-up to BF15's trench run where we should be able to fly into Death Star II without a cut-scene.

(NOTE: I have always felt that they could integrate a shield generator infantry attack, with another group of players simultaneously engaging in space dogfights, and when/if the ground mission is successfully completed by infantry, then the fighters can penetrate the death star. Not exactly a "conquest" mode, but something that blends ground/space combat. Seemed pretty logical since the idea is already teed-up for the devs in the very narrative of ROTJ. Anyway...).
  • It's immensely boring, and it gets even more boring if you actually choose to play the objective
  • Billkwando wrote: »

Alas, according to the rules, the forum overseers would prefer just that.

I guess, but it's easy enough to have the forum auto-lock threads past a certain age.

To me it seems pretty counter-intuitive to spread knowledge out through multiple threads.
  • Billkwando wrote: »
    While this is active, can anyone explain why I sometimes can't lock my missiles onto enemy fighters (NOT bombers with the lock scrambler on)? Sometimes it just beeps at me, shows a white diamond around the player I'm trying to attack, and refuses to attempt a missile lock.
    Probably they have jammer cards, so it takes longer to lock on? (Guessing)
    Nope, I'm talking about complete refusal to lock, like you get with a TIE or Hyena bomber running its scrambler. The jammer cards for the fighter just make the lock take longer (slow moving brackets)
    duvelsuper wrote: »
    It could also they they are outside the lockon hitbox. Without the lockon angle star card they need to stay near the center area for the lockon to process.
    Nope, they can be dead centre of my screen and it still refuses.

• gio0079 wrote: »
    The First Order interceptor (special force TIE) also has a rear gunner.

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put a rear gunner on an interceptor, but that has gotta be the worst starfighter in SFA.
  • gio0079 wrote: »

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put a rear gunner on an interceptor, but that has gotta be the worst starfighter in SFA.

I feel like the issue with that one has more to do with its primary than its abilities.

I do feel like dark side non-hero ships in general could use a bit of a buff.
  • What about new maps?

I love SA but I have only seen D'Qar and Unknown Regions lately. I like D'Qar but UR makes me want to swear off gaming completely.
  • What about new maps?

I love SA but I have only seen D'Qar and Unknown Regions lately. I like D'Qar but UR makes me want to swear off gaming completely.

I do get tired of flying into space junk, if that's the map you mean (the only one I know for sure is Kamino, cos I dunno why). Especially with the often-wonky collision detection (hitboxes). I've recently started picking bomber on that map, so I don't mess up my pilot flow..... can only crash into so many old lawn chairs and old rusty stoves before it busts my groove. Mostly my fault.

Is D'Quar the one with the field generators? I feel like I get that map like 70% of the times when I get on, not that I mind it.

My favorites happen to be the one where you fly in that garage in the middle of the big round thingy, and the one where you you have to fly all up in dat place and shoot dem balls, the one that also has the docking clamps.
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• http://battlefront.wikia.com/wiki/Starfighter_Assault

I think the wiki leaves out one map though.

Ryloth is probably my favorite. Flying in to destroy the core at the end reminds me of the end of Return Of the Jedi.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Criterion deserves a standing ovation for this mode. All it needs now is more maps. And a VR mode.
    gio0079 wrote: »

I feel like the issue with that one has more to do with its primary than its abilities.

I do feel like dark side non-hero ships in general could use a bit of a buff.

By primary you mean primary weapon damage, health, and maneuverability? I've never noticed a significant difference between starfighters of the same class but different factions in this regard. The cooldowns seems to be what makes or breaks the value of a ship for me. The heavy laser and heat sink offered by the droid army interceptor is a great fit for an interceptor. The rear turret of the 1st Order Interceptor offers greater value on less maneuverable, higher health ships. Having a foe glued to your backside isn't an issue the interceptor suffers from. Either you've maneuvered to get them off your tail, or you're dust.

Cooldown value likewise differentiates the value between bombers. The Y-Wing is an ideal objective defense ship due to its ion cannon. Aside from a few isolated situations, dark side bombers offer much less value on defense due to the lack of the ion cannon.