criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

Vader not even mentioned

Anyone else find it odd how Darth Vader isn't even mentioned in the campaign? I know it isn't his story or anything but in a time of crisis and the fall of leadership of the Empire I think his name would come up somewhere. I was expecting Iden to ask about him when she was told the Emperor was dead.
Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
First Max Prestige Iden Versio
hojevrxvarht.png
PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.

Replies

• I agree with you. Really like such things. Glad the emperor was in the story. Lol. I mean, Piett was mentioned. ^^
  • I thought it was funny because Operation Cinder happens upon the Emperors death...but what If Vader still lived. Imagine how ***** hed be walking onto a bridge hearing an admiral saying "we must destroy Kuat and Fondor!" That bridge would get wrecked
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    niklas0095 wrote: »
    I agree with you. Really like such things. Glad the emperor was in the story. Lol. I mean, Piett was mentioned. ^^

Not only did the Emperor make it but so did his younger self on a poster, and yeah Piett was such a fool, how dare he get suicide bombed
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    I thought it was funny because Operation Cinder happens upon the Emperors death...but what If Vader still lived. Imagine how **** hed be walking onto a bridge hearing an admiral saying "we must destroy Kuat and Fondor!" That bridge would get wrecked

I'm sure Vader would have had the authority to cancel it or maybe the off switch to the messenger droids. But odds are the empire's military would listen to a person who strangles people who fail him instead of a droid with a recording. Would be interesting if they made a DLC where the campaign goes down a road where a still evil vader was the only one to walk out of the Emperor's throne room.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    niklas0095 wrote: »
    I agree with you. Really like such things. Glad the emperor was in the story. Lol. I mean, Piett was mentioned. ^^

Not only did the Emperor make it but so did his younger self on a poster, and yeah Piett was such a fool, how dare he get suicide bombed
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    I thought it was funny because Operation Cinder happens upon the Emperors death...but what If Vader still lived. Imagine how **** hed be walking onto a bridge hearing an admiral saying "we must destroy Kuat and Fondor!" That bridge would get wrecked

I'm sure Vader would have had the authority to cancel it or maybe the off switch to the messenger droids. But odds are the empire's military would listen to a person who strangles people who fail him instead of a droid with a recording. Would be interesting if they made a DLC where the campaign goes down a road where a still evil vader was the only one to walk out of the Emperor's throne room.

THAT would be a cool series for a graphic novel. Or Vader turns Luke and they kill Palpatine
  • I'm not sure, but from my understanding, Palpatine's Plan A was Vader Take Over. But if they both died, then Plan B was Cinder.
  • CakeShop wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but from my understanding, Palpatine's Plan A was Vader Take Over. But if they both died, then Plan B was Cinder.

Is this mentioned in the Inferno squad novel, or is this guesswork? I wouldn't put it past Palpy to have planned Operation Cinder behind Vaders back.
  • Hmm his reasoning is that an empire that can't protect its emperor must not remain, so I don't think Vader being alive would have changed that.
  • The Contigency, of which Operation Cinder was a part, was clearly to be implemented in the case of Palpatine's death. The "new demesne" mentioned is somewhere in the Unknown Regions, where some of the Imperial Remnant went. Only a few, loyal Imperials were given the instructions needed to survive the journey. What Lord Vader would have done, is speculation; he might implement the Contigency, change it to fit his own plans, stop it from happening, or even be persuaded to seek peace with or join the Rebels - all and more were done by major Imperial figures after the Empire's fall.

"Palpatine said that this galaxy was to be his, but that it was only one among many. Again that phrase arose: the unexplored infinity. This, he noted, was his demesne. The galaxy was his game board. If he lost this game, the game board was to be broken in half and discarded. A new demesne must then be found."
    [Star Wars: Aftermath: Empire's End (p. 379)]

"... a contingency plan by a callous, vengeful Emperor who never wanted his Empire in the hands of a successor."Star Wars: Aftermath: Empire's End (pp. 403-404)]

PS: Note, too, that there is nothing unprecedented or senseless about Operation Cinder/The Contigency, nor that this should lead to major characters suddenly defecting to the other side. To argue such, merely reveals a lack of historic insight. Earth examples are abundant. So, too, are examples of massive negative impact to the morale of those ordered to implement such policies when the earth being scorched is their own; often leading to divisiveness within the ranks, refusal of implementation, or even outright defection. We have terms like "scorched earth", "Nerobefehl" and "Samson Option" for variations around the theme. The Contingency/Cinder are simply in-universe variants of familiar concepts.
  • The Contingency would've been a ''***** You'' from Palpatine had he succumbed to Vader, and the latter gone ahead and taken over the imperial throne, a final test to prove that he's worthy and capable of running the Empire. I believe Vader would've successfully restored order after dealing with those who would not immediately submit to his will.
  • I think Vader was not mention because I think he was more of a side note to most emperials.

I say that going back to a new hope. "no ones afraid of your source words anymore lord vader" or something like that. He had become a figure head like the queen of England. No real power. I mean his missions was finding Jedi not fighting a war. Hunting stolen plans not hunting down generals. He was looking for his son not looking for anything else.

Really Vader was sent to besben any good navel Capt could of did that mission.

Just my thought plz don't force choke me lol
  • bfloo
    15930 posts Member
    I don;t think Vader ever even knew about Operation Cinder.

He thought he was next in line to the throne.

The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    The Aftermath Novels were terrible anyway

I much more enjoy Palpatine's Depictions in the new Comics and Novels
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again
    I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

Space and Asteroids ROMG4
  • KlownShueS wrote: »
    I think Vader was not mention because I think he was more of a side note to most emperials.

I say that going back to a new hope. "no ones afraid of your source words anymore lord vader" or something like that. He had become a figure head like the queen of England. No real power. I mean his missions was finding Jedi not fighting a war. Hunting stolen plans not hunting down generals. He was looking for his son not looking for anything else.

"Sorceror's ways", I think you mean. And that was ANH, where Vader wasn't in charge - remember, Tarkin was holding his leash and Vader had to answer to him. With the death of Tarkin, Vader stepped into the power vacuum and took over control of the military with excessive zeal, as is demonstrated in ESB with his constant choking and reckless commands that weren't actually the best strategy most of the time.

I wasn't bothered by the absence of Vader's name in the campaign, simply because everyone would have assumed he was blown to bits either on the Death Star, or in the Shield Bunker, so the entire Empire knew he was toast.
  • bfloo
    15930 posts Member
    KlownShueS wrote: »
    I think Vader was not mention because I think he was more of a side note to most emperials.

"Sorceror's ways", I think you mean. And that was ANH, where Vader wasn't in charge - remember, Tarkin was holding his leash and Vader had to answer to him. With the death of Tarkin, Vader stepped into the power vacuum and took over control of the military with excessive zeal, as is demonstrated in ESB with his constant choking and reckless commands that weren't actually the best strategy most of the time.

I wasn't bothered by the absence of Vader's name in the campaign, simply because everyone would have assumed he was blown to bits either on the Death Star, or in the Shield Bunker, so the entire Empire knew he was toast.

Vader didn't take command of the entire military, he had a fleet and legion to use as he saw fit.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Either way I don't believe he was nowhere next in line. Heck palatine wanted Luke. Vader was just a knight on the chessboard

I am sure that was just that officer knowing that Vader had no real power on the death star since it was Tarkin's thing. And Moff Jerjerrod (who outranked that guy in a new hope) said "Lord Vader this is an unexpected pleasure we are honored by your presence". And anyone except the Emperor always referred to vader as "lord Vader".

bfloo wrote: »

Vader didn't take command of the entire military, he had a fleet and legion to use as he saw fit.

In legends I think he did hold the rank of 'Supreme Commander' and in both legends and canon he seems to be able to take command of anything whenever he wants, except when it involves the emperor.
    The Contingency would've been a ''**** You'' from Palpatine had he succumbed to Vader, and the latter gone ahead and taken over the imperial throne, a final test to prove that he's worthy and capable of running the Empire. I believe Vader would've successfully restored order after dealing with those who would not immediately submit to his will.

I think it would have been easy for him to stop Cinder, Everyone who actually fought in combat idolized him while the officers who rode desks despised him, but feared him more. Would be interesting if they made DLC missions where he did surivive and Iden took part in a Imperial civil war between Vader and all the officers who wanted to carry out Cinder.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • bfloo wrote: »

Not according to the films, which are the only canon source. Every single military commander you see answers to Vader, including on the Death Star, which wouldn't have been under Vader's control if he was anything other than the top of the military tree. Vader doesn't appear to answer to anyone except Palpy.

Not according to the films, which are the only canon source. Every single military commander you see answers to Vader, including on the Death Star, which wouldn't have been under Vader's control if he was anything other than the top of the military tree. Vader doesn't appear to answer to anyone except Palpy.

I think he was under most grand moffs and grand fleet officers.
  • Sloane was mentioned, though I wish she had actually gotten a cameo (she deserved one more than the 'standard fair'). Even Rax was only mentioned once, in the Han Solo mission.
  • It makes sense that even if Vader had lived, Cinder would have been what the Emperor wanted, seeing as it's pretty common for Sith to overthrow their Masters and take their place. The Empire was never about making the universe a better place to be passed on for future generations, it was about one man's ambition to rule the Galaxy.

Palpatene is definitely the kind of guy who has all his toys buried with him, just to make sure no one else ever gets to play with them. The empire already had the perfectly compartmentalized systems in place to be certain almost no one actually had a clue what was going on, so pulling off about any thing no matter how insane becomes fairly mundane.

Vader seems to be, to a certain extent, removed from the chain of command. He has the Executor and its armada at his disposal, but Ozzell and later Piett are the actual commanders of that fleet. Vader has authority over them, but it's never clear whether that authority is derived from some special dispensation given to him by the Emperor, from an official rank he holds, or from the fear the officers have for him.
    giphy.gif

I think he was under most grand moffs and grand fleet officers.

But as I said, that's not shown in the films, so it's just speculation.
  • Talyn856 wrote: »

Vader seems to be, to a certain extent, removed from the chain of command. He has the Executor and its armada at his disposal, but Ozzell and later Piett are the actual commanders of that fleet. Vader has authority over them, but it's never clear whether that authority is derived from some special dispensation given to him by the Emperor, from an official rank he holds, or from the fear the officers have for him.

It's derived from Uncle George giving him that power because he knew that he would be an ineffective villain if he was court martialled a third of the way through the film for choking Ozzel (who actually wasn't as clumsy or stupid as Vader believed - the Rebels were alerted by the probot, not because Ozzel brought the fleet out of lightspeed too close to the system.)