criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

How would YOU write the campaign? [Spoilers]

We're not trying to reframe how everyone in this world sees the people in that galaxy. It's just about perspective and understanding – that not everybody in the Empire believes in exactly the same thing. We're not looking for sympathy, but more empathy – understanding their perspective and who they are as people and what drives them and motivates them. Ultimately, we just need to bring people on a journey to the point that they understand why Iden and Inferno Squad make the decisions they do and believe in the things that they do.”-Mark Thomspon.

Based on this statement alone, I would`ve said the writers had a great idea on a story and how to portray the Imperial perspective. Boy how wrong I was. We were misled. Severely misled. From interviews to trailers and marketing, we all imagined this would be the Imperial campaign. Now, in my opinion, the campaign should have been different than it was. Rather than being a copy of the majority of Stormtrooper/Imperial characters and their rather shallow arcs of defection, we could’ve explored uncharted territory. This is how the campaign should have been, at least in my opinion.

We are all welcome to discuss this. Please refrain from the “The Imperials are Space *****,” or “The Rebels are Space Al Quaeda/*****/*****.” We all have our own points of views, the truths to which we cling to.

The campaign would have been better off told, you guessed it, from the FULL Imperial POV:

The game should’ve started with Inferno Squad fighting with another elite squad: Death Troopers. These squads team-up in a distant planet ravaged by conflicts with the Rebellion. The Rebels here are the ones we see mentioned in the canon book Twilight Company; people who joined to fight the Empire as an excuse to kill. The story would’ve been great if we saw the squads fight against these Rebels who teamed up with a local pirate/crime syndicate.

I’d also add dialogue to show how human the troopers are. How some of them had family in the Core Worlds and hoped that their good service would land them in a better position. The field commander mentions he had a few months left before retirement and he’s going to be transferred to work aboard the Death Star II, and after they he’s going home to see his family.(As a throwback to the original BFII Hask would comment that being a stormtrooper aboard the DS would be the most boring mission in the galaxy). This would give a whole different meaning to Iden’s “We can grieve later!” When that same station explodes. I’d establish that these people aren’t always war-mongering battle-hungry men and women. I’d develop Iden and Del’s relationship even more.

After the first cutscene with Iden and Garrick Versio is where the game should have changed. Operation: Cinder has been planned and Vardos is targeted, but rather Garrick has other plans in mind: Preservation of the empire. Garrick Versio’s unusual orders for Iden is to save the Imperial citizens from Operation: Cinder and thus committing “treason,”. This could be used to both save the people AND put Iden and the Inferno Squad in a better position: “defection.” With Palpatine and Vader dead, the Imperials are desperate and desperate times call for desperate measures. Iden and the squad could have “defected”, much like Iden did in the books, to infiltrate the Rebellion and attempt to destroy it from within. Iden joins up with the Rebels and even does missions for them to gain their trust. They could’ve explored the camaraderie of the squad and show the deep fellowship Del, Iden and Hask had that we saw in the book.

And while their undercover mission goes along, Iden and Del relay info to Hask, who remains in the empire and remains a step ahead.

During this Del Meeko, previously having an encounter with Luke Skywalker on Pilio, has doubts seeded in his heart after Operation: Cinder and everything that has transpired before. Cracks begin to break away his Imperial resolve. The more he spends time with the Rebels, the more he loses his faith in his Imperial ways. This proves to be Iden and Hask’s undoing.

When their main objective, the assassination of the Rebel leaders, is within reach, Del betrays Iden and Hask by informing the Rebellion, and Hask is brutally murdered by Del and the insurgents. Iden escapes with her life, but feels as if she lost everything . . . her friends, gone. One seduced by the venomous corruption of the Rebellion, the other another Imperial who’s life was claimed.

The empire was her life,her whole life, and she feels it slipping away as the shadow of the Rebellion grow darker, breaking away order and peace and ushering an age of chaos and anarchy . . . And yet, as strange as it is, there is hope . . . An order. A First Order, gathering in the Outer Regions, composed of men and women who had lost the war not their vision. Not their resolve.

Of course this was one way to write a story, but as I’ve said, defection wasn’t really necessary. You can write a sympathetic Imperial. Iden could have been an Imperial hero through a number of ways; desire to change the empire, save Imperial citizens, and having her fight against members of the Rebellion who joined for the sole reason to kill(this was explained in one of the canon books). But alas . . .

Tell and share your thoughts on the campaign and what could have been? Tl;rd: Iden and Del “defect”, infiltrate the Rebels, spies and gains info, Del truly defects and betrays Iden and murders Hask.
"With the elimination of the traitorous Jedi . . . our presence let the galaxy know that the days of the Old Republic were well and truly over. We were establishing a new era, an era of Order and Peace."-Clone Trooper.

"I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new Empire."-Darth Vader.

tumblr_oohhok4GYT1w5773no1_400.gif

Replies

• ElizLestrad
    62 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    From everything explained about Iden and her personality from the novel, Iden would NEVER have considered joining the rebels. I could see her *potentially* going against her father, but only to the following extent:

Admiral Versio is clearly under the sway of Gallius Rax, what with his insistence that Cinder is necessary at all. Admiral Sloane (in Aftermath) figured out what Rax was up to and attempted to stop him from destroying the Empire. To this extent I could see Iden going "rogue" (in the eyes of Rax and her father) and aiding a true Imperial like Sloane in stopping Rax and Operation Cinder, but I have not seen a complete and utter personality flip like this since Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

Further more, its pretty clear that the only reason she does/would defect is that she, like Sloane, loves the Empire too much. Like Sloane, Iden recognized the empires mistakes and wanted to "make it better" (in the Aftermath series, Sloane stopped a squad of stormtroopers from firing on protesters citing that it was that exact sort of brutal mentality that turned people against the Empire to begin with). She turned against her father because he was going to attack their own people (mostly citizens) who had done nothing but be ever loyal to the cause.

So basically, I saw her siding with Sloane, stopping Rax as an independant party (NOT part of the Rebellion) and going off with Sloane to the unexplored regions to rebuild. This whole complete personality reversal was just too unbelievable. The resulting effect a sucker punch to the coolness factor of Inferno Squad and its characters (especially Iden). I sense Disney's hand in that regard.
  • From everything explained about Iden and her personality from the novel, Iden would NEVER have considered joining the rebels. I could see her *potentially* going against her father, but only to the following extent:

Admiral Versio is clearly under the sway of Gallius Rax, what with his insistence that Cinder is necessary at all. Admiral Sloane (in Aftermath) figured out what Rax was up to and attempted to stop him from destroying the Empire. To this extent I could see Iden going "rogue" (in the eyes of Rax and her father) and aiding a true Imperial like Sloane in stopping Rax and Operation Cinder, but I have not seen a complete and utter personality flip like this since Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

Further more, its pretty clear that the only reason she does/would defect is that she, like Sloane, loves the Empire too much. Like Sloane, Iden recognized the empires mistakes and wanted to "make it better" (in the Aftermath series, Sloane stopped a squad of stormtroopers from firing on protesters citing that it was that exact sort of brutal mentality that turned people against the Empire to begin with). She turned against her father because he was going to attack their own people (mostly citizens) who had done nothing but be ever loyal to the cause.

So basically, I saw her siding with Sloane, stopping Rax as an independant party (NOT part of the Rebellion) and going off with Sloane to the unexplored regions to rebuild. This whole complete personality reversal was just too unbelievable. The resulting effect a sucker punch to the coolness factor of Inferno Squad and its characters (especially Iden). I sense Disney's hand in that regard.

100% love your idea. This was the idea I was hoping for after Vardos (And was quickly disappointed) that a rogue element stops The operation Cinder fools then proceeds to make the first order. Not join the rebellion. It was already clear based on the post endor scene that only a group of Imperials were involved in the operation anyway.

Even as an ALT history DLC this would be great. I really hope disney abandons the all evil approach.
  • I'm okay with the story up until Iden and Del meet Lando. So those first five missions are great and should not be changed. I have a feeling the original script for this is very similar to mine before Disney made some changes because target focus groups are big, whiney babies who want the same story over and again.

I personally prefer that after Vardos, Iden and Del joined up with an Imperial remnant and this Remnant formed a tenuous alliance with the New Republic come Jakku. Start with the Corvus meeting up with other Imperial ships who refuse Operation Cinder (Like ElizLestrad just mentioned) and begin raiding attacks on other factions loyal to Rax, slowly becoming more powerful as more Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers and even worlds join her cause to defend the Empire from what she would consider the followers a dead mad man. Shriv could've been a merc, ex Separatist even, who joined up for the money at first but later became a hardcore member of Inferno Squad and the Imperial remnant.
    And also during this time Iden and Des would've gotten together a bit earlier....because it was beyond teasing by the time of "Until Ashes". Have a scene of Iden waking up in bed from a com as Del is sleeping by her side after a 6 months jump.

The campaign could've ended with Iden and Leia shaking hands on the burning sands of Jakku with a distrustful glare in their eyes. Iden and Del would become a beacon for other Imps who don't follow/become the First Order. This could have been the Canon version of the Imperial remnant.
    The next expansion could be an all out war between the Remnant and the First Order when Iden finds out what happened to Del. Have a Kill Bill storyline set in Star Wars....with explosions and star fighters and stuff!

In the old Legends Timeline the Remnant was a HUGE deal with now barely a mention in Canon.
    That way you could have Imperials going up against the First Order, seeing them as extremists who are committing unneeded violent acts. Just my two cents.
    One of the best levels in the old Tie Fighter game was fighting other Imps and checking first if that Tie was on your side or not. Made it more tense and challenging.
    But that's just me.
  • I also like the above. anything but joining the rebels
  • literally any way but the way it was writtern.....
  • The way I would do it is have the Empire split into splinter groups, with Iden joining another Imperial faction that goes against Operation Cinder. Like an Imperial Civil War.

Original Trilogy & Sequel Trilogy for Instant Action in Battlefront II!

#soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • Like an Imperial Civil War.

Or like just about any other power struggle following the death of a ruthless dictator...
  • I would have a story based on one stormtrooper . His/her story from hoth to after the destruction of the second death star.

Privet to commander in Vader's 501st. The character would never join the rebels. The charecter would have seen many of comrades die by the hands of insurgents.

Just my thoughts.
  • Honestly I just decided to write a letter to Mr. Iger over at Disney about the matter. The Star Wars franchise has so many hero characters already, we could use some compelling villians and the campaign that was delivered was not what they promised. Tack on the out of character Iden and you've got a complete mess:

“We wanted to tell a soldier's story and, you know, we've seen a lot of stories from the heroes of the Rebellion..” - Mark Thompson, Game Director, EA Motive

“They pitched us a story that would span from Return of the Jedi through the events of Force Awakens. One of the great things they included was 'we want to do it from an Imperial point of view.'” - Steve Blank (Creative Executive, Lucasfilm)

“Iden is a tried and true, through and through Imperial.” - Steve Blank

Right now I think there is not much they can do to fix the story and it's unrealistic to presume that they (EA) would be willing to do so. Especially after the debacle with Mass Effect 3's ending. My ultimate request was therefore that this be stricken from canon and Inferno Squad's ultimate canon fate be left to the hands of Christie Golden, who authored Battlefront II Inferno Squad.

It doesn't cost anything to strike something from canon, it would if they had to redo everything.