criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Securing/Contesting rules

I haven’t seen this discussed on the forums yet, but has anyone else been finding the Securing/Contesting mechanic to be the main culprit of the constant losses on the attacking side?

It seems like the maps that are the worst offenders in terms of never getting past the early levels are a result of this. The second and third phase of Kamino. The first phase of Takodana. The first two phases of Mos Eisley. The second phase of Hoth.

The thing is, I kind of like the idea that of one person is putting up a fight in the room, the counter can’t move forward. But what this causes is people just hiding until the rest of the army shows up, meaning that the attacker slowly gets their tickets drained, even if (by some kind of miracle) there is half a team of the objective.

Like, the amount of effort and coordination it takes to hold down something like the cantina in Mos Eisley is insane. There are five doorways. And if there is anyone hiding in the hallway of one of those the counter is frozen. I’ve regularly seen teams go from 9 troops in there to zero. And if your team can somehow get 9 people playing the same objective in this game, you should be able to consider the objective capped.

Kamino is the same way. On the landing docks your team has to hold down every stairway, entrance AND the ramps leading up to the dock. And every time a clone is hiding behind a wall you have to run out into sniper fire and LAAT lasers to check behind every wall. Which means slowly your forces are just drained as the opposing team sends waves of reinforcements.

I’m wondering how you guys feel. Because part of me likes the mechanic but thinks the space that needs to be held down is too expansive for the attacking team to reasonably handle.

But part of me thinks the entire one-person-contesting-an-entire-objective concept doesn’t work. It does seem strange that the counter doesn’t move faster depending on the people on the objective, like Supremecy in BF2015.

I don’t know. I find it to be one of the most frustrating things about the game. And it’s the brick wall that I think most teams end up hitting as they’re moving through the levels. I’d love this game but am getting a bit bore because almost every level is so skewed towards the defender. I’d be curious to know what other people’s thoughts are.

Replies

• I agree 100% with you.

The number of players on the objective should change how fast the objecive is taken.
    Contest should only happen with equal forces on the same zone.