criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Starfighter Tips and Tricks from Someone who Thinks he's Pretty Good

Prev1
Unlike the ground game, Starfighter Assault has a bit more emphasis on nuance, small details and tricks that can make you a very good pilot or a very bad one. I find that I make it to the top five of almost every Starfighter Assault game, so I figured that, hey, why not share the secret to that success with other players? I love Starfighter Assault, and I want everyone else to love it too, which is hard to do if you're dying all the time. So, here's a few tips and tricks, mostly obvious, that might help you step up your SA game.

-Save Your Abilities for Emergencies

This may seem obvious, but using your abilities the right way is key to your survival. A Tail Gunner can save you from a pursuer. The Afterburner can break missile lock. The Tactical Jammer makes you much harder to hit. This is all pretty straightforward stuff, but a lot of players like to activate abilities as soon as they are available, rather than saving them for that critical moment when someone is on your tail.

-Tuck and Turn

If you take a hit, you should immediately stop whatever you are doing and evade. Thing is, there is a certain maneuver that is better than the others for this. I call it Tuck and Turn. Assuming you are flying straight, and someone comes in from straight behind you, the best thing to do is roll your craft upside down and fly both below and towards the enemy. There are many reason why this is the best evasive maneuver.

The first reason for this is very subtle. Next time you play SA, pay attention to where your ship is on the screen. It's just slightly beneath the middle, on the lower half of the screen. What does this mean? A player has a better view of everything above them and to the sides than below them. It is more difficult for a player to track a ship below them than anywhere else. Now, a smart pursuer will roll his ship when you fly under him so that you are technically 'above' him so he can follow you more easily, but either way your are still better off going below than any other direction.

It's also better to fly towards the enemy (Not DIRECTLY towards them mind you) because it limits your exposure to their guns. The less time you are on their screen at all, the less time they have to shoot at you! This maneuver can be coupled with an afterburner to get below and past them even faster if you want.

*Note that this maneuver will be less effective with slower ships, such as bombers. As a bomber, if there is an interceptor on your tail, outmaneuvering them is a fantasy. Your defensive abilities are your best bet there.

-Never Fly in a Straight Line for more than a Second

During evasion, that is. If you've got no one harassing you, feel free to make that straightforward attack run on an enemy cruiser. But if you're trying to avoid getting blown to smithereens by an enemy pilot, tuck, roll, turn, and dive every which way you can. The targeting circle for hitting an enemy ship follows whatever direction the ship is going. The more often you change directions, the more often your targeting circle changes positions, making it more difficult for an enemy to hit you. Note that this means pulling a Star Fox will not actually help you, as barrel rolling (aileron rolling) in place will not change where your targeting circle is.

-Know the Small Stuff

Did you know that, without any modifications whatsoever, a TIE Fighter can out-turn an X-Wing? If a TIE Fighter and an X-Wing try to fly circles around each other to get a shot, the TIE Fighter will win. Note that they are both Fighter class ships, so this is not a class thing. Along the same vein, I'm pretty sure Vulture Droids are more maneuverable than ARC-170s. Know the small stuff about your ship, and you might find yourself doing better.

-Never Accept Defeat

As I mentioned above, a bomber (Or the Millenium Falcon) has almost no chance of outmaneuvering an enemy. That does not mean you should just give up and die however! The longer you survive, the more time you have for a friendly pilot to notice your plight and come save you. This is especially true of bombers with Tactical Jammers, as it is very easily to stay alive with this ability. In fact, as long as you can survive long enough for the ability to refresh after use, you can almost stay alive indefinitely against an average pursuer. As for Y-Wings, the turret is unfortunately not a 'Tail Gunner' and there is not as useful at defending you (though it can shoot rear targets) so survival is a bit more difficult.

-Turn Towards Torpedoes

If you have a missile on your tail, don't fret; even bombers can usually avoid them rather easily. When a torpedo gets close to you, turning towards it makes it more difficult for it to cut the corner and stay on you. Most of the time they'll overshoot you and be useless. You often don't even need to slow down for this.

-Slower Speed = Tighter Turns

I'm assuming everyone knew this since the game itself says it, but here you go anyway.

-Certain Star Cards are META

Most Effective Tactic Available denotes a means of attack or defense superior to all others. For the Interceptor class, this is 'Elite Pilot.' At Tier 4, it increases your turn speed by 20%. That is A LOT. With that card, you will never be out-maneuvered by ANYONE, except maybe another Interceptor with the same card at the same level. For the Bomber, you should heavily consider the cards that affect your abilities directly, extending how long your turret is active or how much health your astromech heals. For the Fighter, unfortunately, there is no real META Star Card, as they all affect rather general things. Still, more health and more damage makes you more formidable all around.

-Always Fly the ARC-170

This is a halfway joke, but on the other hand I'm also being serious. I currently consider the ARC-170 to be the strongest fighter in the game. First off, it has a ton of health for its class. It also has shields. It has an astromech like an X-wing, but most importantly it has a Tail Gunner. And a pretty decent Tail Gunner at that. More than once, I've attacked an ARC-170 from behind, and wondered in awe why on earth the player wasn't using his Tail Gunner to at least deter me.

The Tail Gunner and the Astromech also both recharge very quickly, meaning you can be extremely hard to kill if you're good. Not only can you heal pretty much completely every fifteen seconds or so, but you can return fire against your pursuer at the same rate as well, and that Tail Gunner does more damage than you think. So long as you evade well, you can survive long enough for your abilities to recharge and keep defending and healing your ship. As far as the Republic is concerned, there really is no reason not to fly the ARC-170.

...Other than the fact that it's guns sound just like the X-Wing. Bleh.

Replies

• Great post. I love the starfighter games as well and was looking for some tricks. I still haven't spent any crafting parts yet and am level 15. I was waiting to get some low level ones from starfighter crates before using crafting parts to bump them up the actual starfighting cards you get in a drop is minimal. Most of the time I find I get troopers parts or parts for hero startfighters.

ARC-170 is the best fighter. I can kill so many when using it.
  • Yes, you are an awesome flyer! I prefer you on my team than against. Thanks for the tips. I wanted to add that the video on advanced starfighting has some more excellent tips and explains some of the symbols (such as the triangle that appears when a missle is tracking you). I've really struggled to learn the controls and I'm improving but it so so much different than swbf1. I'm now at the point of turning on advanced controls, and its getting fun again.
    You try learning this at 900 years of age and do so well.
  • Kykyphph
    105 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    @Shadow0Fire

I did rebind the "target attacker" to my space bar, to get access it always. mostly ppl killing me while i attack another player, so i spam space while attacking enemy (well as a noob in videogames i often forget to use it).

For me, its a big help, but sometimes i just reallize, that 2-3 ppl targeting me, because its jumping between them lol.

I dont know why, but many times dieing is so fast, that i can see only 2 hits on me and BOOM. Maybe its lag or something?

BTW can you make video about the manouvering you talked? My english is not that great and would be nice to see what you talked about.
  • TimothyLux wrote: »
    Yes, you are an awesome flyer! I prefer you on my team than against. Thanks for the tips. I wanted to add that the video on advanced starfighting has some more excellent tips and explains some of the symbols (such as the triangle that appears when a missle is tracking you). I've really struggled to learn the controls and I'm improving but it so so much different than swbf1. I'm now at the point of turning on advanced controls, and its getting fun again.
    You try learning this at 900 years of age and do so well.

I'm not sure what video you're referencing. Can you please add a link?
  • TIE fighter is more agile than X-Wing
    TIE interceptor is more agile than A-wing? because A-Wing feels faster and more agile. And its weapons are stronger.
  • Kykyphph wrote: »
    TIE fighter is more agile than X-Wing
    TIE interceptor is more agile than A-wing? because A-Wing feels faster and more agile. And its weapons are stronger.

I'm afraid I don't know about the Interceptor. I don/t use the TIE Int. often at all. Not to mention that since the Elite Pilot star card exists, it really doesn't make much of a difference since turn speed can be increased.
  • Imo Tie Fighter is the strongest ship in the game right now (excluding heros)

Although i use only cockpit view and may be just because of the much better view.

Having a LOT of fun in SA
  • Best hero ship? Just wondering peoples opinions.

Got to say mine would have to be Kylo ren / bobba Fet ships on dark side and Poe / Luke / Yoda on light (falcon sucks)
  • Unlike the ground game, Starfighter Assault has a bit more emphasis on nuance, small details and tricks that can make you a very good pilot or a very bad one. I find that I make it to the top five of almost every Starfighter Assault game, so I figured that, hey, why not share the secret to that success with other players? I love Starfighter Assault, and I want everyone else to love it too, which is hard to do if you're dying all the time. So, here's a few tips and tricks, mostly obvious, that might help you step up your SA game.

-Save Your Abilities for Emergencies

This may seem obvious, but using your abilities the right way is key to your survival. A Tail Gunner can save you from a pursuer. The Afterburner can break missile lock. The Tactical Jammer makes you much harder to hit. This is all pretty straightforward stuff, but a lot of players like to activate abilities as soon as they are available, rather than saving them for that critical moment when someone is on your tail.

-Tuck and Turn

If you take a hit, you should immediately stop whatever you are doing and evade. Thing is, there is a certain maneuver that is better than the others for this. I call it Tuck and Turn. Assuming you are flying straight, and someone comes in from straight behind you, the best thing to do is roll your craft upside down and fly both below and towards the enemy. There are many reason why this is the best evasive maneuver.

The first reason for this is very subtle. Next time you play SA, pay attention to where your ship is on the screen. It's just slightly beneath the middle, on the lower half of the screen. What does this mean? A player has a better view of everything above them and to the sides than below them. It is more difficult for a player to track a ship below them than anywhere else. Now, a smart pursuer will roll his ship when you fly under him so that you are technically 'above' him so he can follow you more easily, but either way your are still better off going below than any other direction.

It's also better to fly towards the enemy (Not DIRECTLY towards them mind you) because it limits your exposure to their guns. The less time you are on their screen at all, the less time they have to shoot at you! This maneuver can be coupled with an afterburner to get below and past them even faster if you want.

*Note that this maneuver will be less effective with slower ships, such as bombers. As a bomber, if there is an interceptor on your tail, outmaneuvering them is a fantasy. Your defensive abilities are your best bet there.

-Never Fly in a Straight Line for more than a Second

During evasion, that is. If you've got no one harassing you, feel free to make that straightforward attack run on an enemy cruiser. But if you're trying to avoid getting blown to smithereens by an enemy pilot, tuck, roll, turn, and dive every which way you can. The targeting circle for hitting an enemy ship follows whatever direction the ship is going. The more often you change directions, the more often your targeting circle changes positions, making it more difficult for an enemy to hit you. Note that this means pulling a Star Fox will not actually help you, as barrel rolling (aileron rolling) in place will not change where your targeting circle is.

-Know the Small Stuff

Did you know that, without any modifications whatsoever, a TIE Fighter can out-turn an X-Wing? If a TIE Fighter and an X-Wing try to fly circles around each other to get a shot, the TIE Fighter will win. Note that they are both Fighter class ships, so this is not a class thing. Along the same vein, I'm pretty sure Vulture Droids are more maneuverable than ARC-170s. Know the small stuff about your ship, and you might find yourself doing better.

-Never Accept Defeat

As I mentioned above, a bomber (Or the Millenium Falcon) has almost no chance of outmaneuvering an enemy. That does not mean you should just give up and die however! The longer you survive, the more time you have for a friendly pilot to notice your plight and come save you. This is especially true of bombers with Tactical Jammers, as it is very easily to stay alive with this ability. In fact, as long as you can survive long enough for the ability to refresh after use, you can almost stay alive indefinitely against an average pursuer. As for Y-Wings, the turret is unfortunately not a 'Tail Gunner' and there is not as useful at defending you (though it can shoot rear targets) so survival is a bit more difficult.

-Turn Towards Torpedoes

If you have a missile on your tail, don't fret; even bombers can usually avoid them rather easily. When a torpedo gets close to you, turning towards it makes it more difficult for it to cut the corner and stay on you. Most of the time they'll overshoot you and be useless. You often don't even need to slow down for this.

-Slower Speed = Tighter Turns

I'm assuming everyone knew this since the game itself says it, but here you go anyway.

-Certain Star Cards are META

Most Effective Tactic Available denotes a means of attack or defense superior to all others. For the Interceptor class, this is 'Elite Pilot.' At Tier 4, it increases your turn speed by 20%. That is A LOT. With that card, you will never be out-maneuvered by ANYONE, except maybe another Interceptor with the same card at the same level. For the Bomber, you should heavily consider the cards that affect your abilities directly, extending how long your turret is active or how much health your astromech heals. For the Fighter, unfortunately, there is no real META Star Card, as they all affect rather general things. Still, more health and more damage makes you more formidable all around.

-Always Fly the ARC-170

This is a halfway joke, but on the other hand I'm also being serious. I currently consider the ARC-170 to be the strongest fighter in the game. First off, it has a ton of health for its class. It also has shields. It has an astromech like an X-wing, but most importantly it has a Tail Gunner. And a pretty decent Tail Gunner at that. More than once, I've attacked an ARC-170 from behind, and wondered in awe why on earth the player wasn't using his Tail Gunner to at least deter me.

The Tail Gunner and the Astromech also both recharge very quickly, meaning you can be extremely hard to kill if you're good. Not only can you heal pretty much completely every fifteen seconds or so, but you can return fire against your pursuer at the same rate as well, and that Tail Gunner does more damage than you think. So long as you evade well, you can survive long enough for your abilities to recharge and keep defending and healing your ship. As far as the Republic is concerned, there really is no reason not to fly the ARC-170.

...Other than the fact that it's guns sound just like the X-Wing. Bleh.

Great post. I absolutely LOVE the ARC -170. That turret gets many kills for me.
  • Haz2014 wrote: »
    Best hero ship? Just wondering peoples opinions.

Got to say mine would have to be Kylo ren / bobba Fet ships on dark side and Poe / Luke / Yoda on light (falcon sucks)

I'd have to say Luke's X-Wing for the light side, mostly for the Star Card abilities it can have. Unlike Poe's X-Wing, you can increase Luke's turn rate and his rate of fire, both of which are extremely useful. I do like the Black Leader ability, but personally I think being able to nearly insta-fire extra damage torpedoes is more useful.

I'm a bit torn on the Dark Side, as nearly all their hero ships are pretty good. Personally I'd say the Scimitar, if used in the hands of a really good player, since it can obliterate almost any ship except the Falcon in one cloak attack. After all, I feel like Slave One is actually kind of mediocre besides the Seismic Charge (is it just me or do its guns not do a lot of damage?). Still, nearly all the Dark Side ships are good.

I'd have to say Luke's X-Wing for the light side, mostly for the Star Card abilities it can have. Unlike Poe's X-Wing, you can increase Luke's turn rate and his rate of fire, both of which are extremely useful. I do like the Black Leader ability, but personally I think being able to nearly insta-fire extra damage torpedoes is more useful.

I'm a bit torn on the Dark Side, as nearly all their hero ships are pretty good. Personally I'd say the Scimitar, if used in the hands of a really good player, since it can obliterate almost any ship except the Falcon in one cloak attack. After all, I feel like Slave One is actually kind of mediocre besides the Seismic Charge (is it just me or do its guns not do a lot of damage?). Still, nearly all the Dark Side ships are good.

Is there ANYTHING more giggle-inducing than taking out 4-5 enemies with the Siezmic Charge, though?

Is there ANYTHING more giggle-inducing than taking out 4-5 enemies with the Siezmic Charge, though?

The only thing more giggle-inducing would probably be the very rare instances in which you actually DO outmaneuver some noob in the Falcon.
  • Great tips! I'd also like to add some I've found in my play, let me know what you think.

-Tuned Lasers are Overrated
    I don't know why people are maxing this star card to Purple. Although straight damage buffs are almost always the best ability choice in any video game, a 10% dmg bonus at Purple is far too little to make a noticeable difference in killing power. Rate of Fire upgrades (Int) and Reduced Overheat (Bomber) are much more useful for damage output if that's what you're seeking. Otherwise health upgrades are much more likely to improve your play.

-Don't Shoot what you Can't Kill (Galactic Assault)
    If you just want to bomb and strafe, never shoot another starfighter, or you'll immediately stand out from the bots, get a big red death arrow pointing at you and a HUD marker, and even if you do kill them you'll get a REVENGE marker that you can see from across the map when they spawn in two seconds later. Just evade and if you can't shake them or get allied help just die and respawn - unless you want to spend the whole match circle fighting.

-Don't take Pot Shots
    If you're playing Starfighter Assault or dogfighting in GA then resist the urge to fire your first volley until you can get a solid hit. Pilots don't usually know you're there until they get hit - if you activate your damage ability you can often finish them off before they knew what hit them.

-Missiles aren't Player Killers
    Use missiles to force a player to evade so you can escape, or to bomb targets - do not rely on them to kill experienced pilots. To kill with them, they are best used at very long distances or when you're right behind an unaware target - faster lock-on star card may help here - maybe a high alpha damage torp build could be quite deadly if you can basically snap-fire it.

-Rear View Camera
    Left or Right on the D-pad is your rear view camera. I use this constantly when climbing, escaping, or just putting distance between me and my ground target. You can still fly and jink while you use it.

-Erratic Roll
    I find that it's especially hard to draw a bead on circle fighters that change their turn direction by 15-20 degrees every 3-5 seconds.

-Eye of the Needle
    Bombers extremely slow minimum speed makes you a sitting duck in open areas (especially Y-Wings) but it's of great help when you are maneuvering through dense cover. It is extremely hard for a faster fighter to follow a slow bomber through very dense cover without exploding into a million bits - an Interceptor's minimum speed is still really fast - as a slow bomber you can carefully weave through the eye of the needle, where Interceptors would need Jedi-like reflexes to follow you.
    [XB1] RECRUITING GA STARFIGHTER PILOTS HERE:
    BLACK SQUADRON RECRUITMENT THREAD
  • Rismus wrote: »
    Great tips! I'd also like to add some I've found in my play, let me know what you think.

-Tuned Lasers are Overrated
    I don't know why people are maxing this star card to Purple. Although straight damage buffs are almost always the best ability choice in any video game, a 10% dmg bonus at Purple is far too little to make a noticeable difference in killing power. Rate of Fire upgrades (Int) and Reduced Overheat (Bomber) are much more useful for damage output if that's what you're seeking. Otherwise health upgrades are much more likely to improve your play.

-Don't Shoot what you Can't Kill (Galactic Assault)
    If you just want to bomb and strafe, never shoot another starfighter, or you'll immediately stand out from the bots, get a big red death arrow pointing at you and a HUD marker, and even if you do kill them you'll get a REVENGE marker that you can see from across the map when they spawn in two seconds later. Just evade and if you can't shake them or get allied help just die and respawn - unless you want to spend the whole match circle fighting.

-Don't take Pot Shots
    If you're playing Starfighter Assault or dogfighting in GA then resist the urge to fire your first volley until you can get a solid hit. Pilots don't usually know you're there until they get hit - if you activate your damage ability you can often finish them off before they knew what hit them.

-Missiles aren't Player Killers
    Use missiles to force a player to evade so you can escape, or to bomb targets - do not rely on them to kill experienced pilots. To kill with them, they are best used at very long distances or when you're right behind an unaware target - faster lock-on star card may help here - maybe a high alpha damage torp build could be quite deadly if you can basically snap-fire it.

-Rear View Camera
    Left or Right on the D-pad is your rear view camera. I use this constantly when climbing, escaping, or just putting distance between me and my ground target. You can still fly and jink while you use it.

-Erratic Roll
    I find that it's especially hard to draw a bead on circle fighters that change their turn direction by 15-20 degrees every 3-5 seconds.

-Eye of the Needle
    Bombers extremely slow minimum speed makes you a sitting duck in open areas (especially Y-Wings) but it's of great help when you are maneuvering through dense cover. It is extremely hard for a faster fighter to follow a slow bomber through very dense cover without exploding into a million bits - an Interceptor's minimum speed is still really fast - as a slow bomber you can carefully weave through the eye of the needle, where Interceptors would need Jedi-like reflexes to follow you.

-Tuned Lasers

While 10% is pretty small by itself, I always figured it would be much more efficient with a rate of fire increase. After all, if your ship fires 40% faster, and each shot does 10% extra damage, isn't your raw damage output increasing exponentially? I mean, simple math wise (i'm sure it's somewhat more complex than this) if you fired ten shots and each shot did ten damage, that's 100. If you have both Star Cards maxed out, you fire 14 shots in the same amount of time, with each doing 11 damage, for 154, which is actually a huge damage boost. I think that's right? Math was never my strong suit, so correct me if I'm wrong. Although, I guess without the damage buff at all, it would still be 140 damage, which is only a minor difference...huh, maybe you're right on this one.

-Don't Shoot what you Can't Kill

I never really thought about it (since in GA I almost always only spawn as a ship for air-to-ground support), but this is even true in regular Starfighter Assault. Sure, it's pretty easy to tell which bombers are bots and which are players, but even so, why draw attention to yourself with the aforementioned Avenge and Revenge markers? Best to be as inconspicuous as possible.

-Don't Take Pot Shots

Extremely true for a game like this. In games were damage is permanent, pot shots can sometimes be acceptable just to dish out a critical hit (Looking at War Thunder), but since starfighters can all heal, it's best to catch the enemy unaware and dead with one quick strike. It is tempting to take shots whenever they present themselves, but patience can help players avoid getting into an annoying 'chase the target' situation if they don't tip them off beforehand.

-Torpedoes

Definitely accurate. I never bother to fire torpedoes at players with the intent of actually killing them (except bombers sometimes). Any half-decent player can easily evade a missile or torpedo. But you're right in saying they can be used to somewhat control enemy movement or just add on some extra pressure during a fight.

-Rear-View Camera

OK, so I actually didn't even know about this? Thank you for enlightening me, this will be extremely useful. Unfortunately, situational awareness in this game isn't quite as useful as it is in some other flight combat games (if you're aware that an interceptor is coming for your bomber there still isn't a whole lot you can really do about it) but it never, ever hurts to be aware of what's going on or coming your way.

-Bomber Speed

You're right in saying that it's much easier to maneuver at slow bomber speed, something that benefits a Y-Wing in, say, the shield generator tunnel on Fondor. But i've found that speed **** me off even more in the open. Chasing a bomber in close quarters is actually a huge pain in an interceptor, because you're so fast and they're so slow that you still never get them in your sights for more than a second or two. But, now that this has been brought up, let's add this tip shall we?

-Breaking Endless Turn Fights

We all know this scenario. You're chasing a ship, the ship is chasing you, and all you do is fly circles around each other for five minutes. It's annoying, it takes time away from other things you could be doing, and it often feels pointless. Depending on the situation, you can always break a turn fight by intentionally putting distance between yourself and your target in order to turn back around and have some distance to actually shoot him.

Note that this maneuver is risky however, as it can work against you just as well as for you. If the enemy pilot realizes your are flying away from him before you turn back around to attack, he will have an opportunity to turn and fire at you with some distance as well. It's really all about whether or not the enemy pilot thinks you would actually stop chasing him. But even though it is risky, is it really any worse than endlessly chasing one guy in a neverending circle?
  • CloudWalker
    139 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    -Tuck and Turn

So basicly what is called a split s?

split_s.jpg

Also you forgot to mention that you have a key that allow you to check behind you, very usefull to see if you took a lost hit or if someone is on your tail or if he is still on your tail after the split s or other escape maneuver.

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. - Qui-Gon Jinn
    Never tell me the odds. - Han Solo
  • ClepetarT18
    63 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    -Tuned Lasers

I have upgraded my Tuned laser to the max with my Bomber and honnestly, it makes a difference when you are chassing another bomber or focusing an objective. You gain more points by doing more damage to players/heroes/objectives etc... This card mixed with maxed Ion turrets = Space Terror XD

Another thing. Im level 26 with my Bomber and i realise im the only person in my team / ennemy team with this level. Everybody are between 0-10 . This is normal ?
  • I'd also like to add that Electronic Countermeasures is underrated. It might be better than Astromech Droid. It le
    -Tuned Lasers

I have upgraded my Tuned laser to the max with my Bomber and honnestly, it makes a difference when you are chassing another bomber or focusing an objective. You gain more points by doing more damage to players/heroes/objectives etc... This card mixed with maxed Ion turrets = Space Terror XD

Another thing. Im level 26 with my Bomber and i realise im the only person in my team / ennemy team with this level. Everybody are between 0-10 . This is normal ?

I'm level 25 with my bomber, 4 purple cards, but I run with Advanced Capacitors (reduced laser heat) Reinforced Hull (+20% starfighter health) and Upgraded Defensive Systems (+100% astromech repair bonus, +100% countermeasure active time).

I fly the bomber role in GA. If I don't get at least 50 bomber kills on Kashyyyk I'm doing poorly. I hit 70+ kills 3 games in a row yesterday and my highest streak is 66 kills.

The increased health and upgraded defense systems make me extremely hard to shoot down. Electronic Countermeasures on a map with cover like Kashyyyk or Death Star Debris is a literal get-out-of-jail-free card.

The reason I don't run Tuned Lasers is I feel 10% damage bonus is not worth replacing any of my other 3 star cards - the dmg bonus is too low. Reduced Heat on the lasers lets you fire for much, much longer on ground targets, meaning I can wreck squads without having to let up on the fire for the entire strafing run. If you ever have to burst fire your "tuned lasers" you were better off taking the reduced heat anyway. If I had a fourth star card slot I would probably run 40% torp damage on it, since that would turn the torps into a real AoE killer - as of now my torp splash often heavily wounds troops instead of killing them. They are excellent at popping tanks though if both torps connect.

If you ever want to fly together just check out my thread below or PM me - always looking for good pilots to fly with.
    I'd also like to add that Electronic Countermeasures is underrated. It might be better than Astromech Droid. It le
    -Tuned Lasers

I'm level 25 with my bomber, 4 purple cards, but I run with Advanced Capacitors (reduced laser heat) Reinforced Hull (+20% starfighter health) and Upgraded Defensive Systems (+100% astromech repair bonus, +100% countermeasure active time).

I fly the bomber role in GA. If I don't get at least 50 bomber kills on Kashyyyk I'm doing poorly. I hit 70+ kills 3 games in a row yesterday and my highest streak is 66 kills.

The increased health and upgraded defense systems make me extremely hard to shoot down. Electronic Countermeasures on a map with cover like Kashyyyk or Death Star Debris is a literal get-out-of-jail-free card.

The reason I don't run Tuned Lasers is I feel 10% damage bonus is not worth replacing any of my other 3 star cards - the dmg bonus is too low. Reduced Heat on the lasers lets you fire for much, much longer on ground targets, meaning I can wreck squads without having to let up on the fire for the entire strafing run. If you ever have to burst fire your "tuned lasers" you were better off taking the reduced heat anyway. If I had a fourth star card slot I would probably run 40% torp damage on it, since that would turn the torps into a real AoE killer - as of now my torp splash often heavily wounds troops instead of killing them. They are excellent at popping tanks though if both torps connect.

If you ever want to fly together just check out my thread below or PM me - always looking for good pilots to fly with.

Thanks for the invite but i guess you're on XBone? Im on Pc ^^

Im not using the Reinforced Hull card because i know that when im going to die, im going to die. +200 pv will not save me .., only gives me 2 more seconds to live XD
    I'd also like to add that Electronic Countermeasures is underrated. It might be better than Astromech Droid. It le
    -Tuned Lasers

Thanks for the invite but i guess you're on XBone? Im on Pc ^^

Im not using the Reinforced Hull card because i know that when im going to die, im going to die. +200 pv will not save me .., only gives me 2 more seconds to live XD

If you're flying a bomber that 20% health is often the difference between escaping long enough to regen your health and getting blown out of the sky. I can't count how many times I escaped in a smoking starfighter that would have been dead without that card. XD

Yeah I'm on XB1.
  • Lots of great tips here, thanks everyone!
  • Thanks guy this was helpful. I'm sorry to anyone who's been on my team in this game mode lmao
  • i would like to know, which Fighter Starcards i should raise to blue atleast:

some say tuned lasers, some don't
    not sure its worth reinforced hull to blue/purple on a Fighter ?
    tactical jammer maybe ?
    and what about Fighter weapon systems ?
    any help would be nice please
  • What about sensitivity, responsiveness and precision settings for PC version?
  • @Zdenka > For fighter (and I'm talking only about fighters) go purple "Reinforced hull" (better than the tuned lasers 90% of the time, especially on console since people have a harder time aiming) and "Engine upgrade". They are life or death matter when you uprage them from blue to purple especially together; also they are both go to starcardsfor fighters because they are the mathematically best cards you can get for fighter and the bests while playing too.

The other 3 "worth" (meaning not useless) starcards are down to what you prefer or what works best with the fighter you are playing; "Fighter weapon systems" for ties and droid fighter, "Figther defensive upgrade" for arc-170 and xwings and "Tuned lasers" as a jack of all trade master of none.

The missiles star cards are false good idea:
    -The "Advanced torpedoes" are good for objective (1 or 2% percent dammage roughly) and getting a kill (if you are lucky only on figthers and interceptors) every 15 seconds or so (see how bad it is?)
    -"Tactical jammer" is probably the worst cards of all even with it's incredible stats, by the time a normal torpedoe lock on you would already be dead with the primary fire if the ennemy is close/mid range or you would have all the time to get away from the missile if the ennemy is far away or mid range since you only use them mid range when you overheat your primary fire, keep in mind the torpedoes are slow compared to primary fire or damage abilites and easy to dodge even in hard situations.

As for "Repair system" it's the second worst starcard since when you are a good/dencent pilot (not saying you aren't) you will see 2 different cases in which you die. You will either die instantly or take fire every second or so before dying, making a 2 second timer drop before starting healing totally useless here or you will have 200 hp gained to suffer a bit more longer.
    In the last of the three cases you will have the time to use your defensive ability to get away; droids heal you almost fully, especially with the upgrade and the boost will make you safe for seconds behind cover or far away from the fight to start recovering to full.

You can also be an **** like me and decide that attack is the best defense and go "Engine upgrade", "Tuned lasers" and "Fighter weapon systems". (I do not recommend doing this lol)

@pav > I kept mine as default except the sens that i lowered a little bit for following targets more easilly with my mouse but it's still high compared to what I've in galactic assault for turns, advanced flight mode on (never flew with out), never "aim down sight" except when bombarding ground units.
    For your sens you need to still be able the follow near perfectly the circle of your target while having the slowest time to start turning.
  • Depending on what fighter you're flying, the cards are roughly different. Fighter Weapon Systems are good for both X-Wings and Tie Fighters, while the Defensive Upgrade is good for the ARC-170's Turret. Personally I think abilities are the most important thing next to your own piloting skills, so I just use the Weapon and Defense Systems for all my fighters.

Missile Jamming is pointless since dodging torpedoes is really easy even in a bomber.
  • Rismus
    99 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Zdenka wrote: »
    i would like to know, which Fighter Starcards i should raise to blue atleast:

some say tuned lasers, some don't
    not sure its worth reinforced hull to blue/purple on a Fighter ?
    tactical jammer maybe ?
    and what about Fighter weapon systems ?
    any help would be nice please

I've got my bomber to purple and I'm working on getting my fighter to purple also.

I don't think Tuned Lasers is worth it in any situation. 10% is just too small of a damage increase. I'd use Tactical Jammer on Hero ships as literally everyone on the map spams missiles at you, especially in a noticeable ship like Slave I or Millenium Falcon. 200% missile lock time increase will actually prevent a lot of people from locking you. Otherwise missiles are not used enough to justify this card on regular ships.

Fighter Weapon Systems is great assuming you can already land your shots with it. 40% more damage with X-Wing Overcharge or Vulture Droid's Laser Barrage will absolutely rip through anything in its path if your aim is true. I'd recommend using this card on almost any fighter build - it will allow you to one-shot bombers with a Barrage if you can keep your reticle steady.

I'm actually getting my Missile Damage and Missile Lock cards to purple on my fighter - after experimenting with missiles I do believe that the key to unlocking the potential of missiles is in these two cards. Getting your Missile Damage to purple will allow you to take down Intys (and I think fighters also) with one missile, which completely changes the missile game. The faster lock will basically let you tap-fire missiles. If you use missiles from behind an opponent and when you're not too close or too far, they are very difficult to evade, especially with reduced missile lock time. They also help a lot in taking out bombers and hero ships, not to mention turrets and objectives.

Intys are the most straightforward - you want Heat Reduction, Increased Fire Rate, and Turn Speed - done. There are other useful cards for Intys but these 3 are the best all-around combo. The Increased Fire Rate + Heat Reduction is a straight 40% increase in blaster DPS which is unbeatable.

Reinforced Hull is a great all-around card but I find that it's most useful on bombers. I don't actually get hit enough with my fighter in SA to justify this. In GA it can be a lifesaver though as many maps boil down to 1v1 turn-fight deathmatches. Repair Systems is a lot better in GA than in SA. I'd say go offensive cards for SA and defensive cards for GA.
  • Personally i have beeb upgrading my interceptor class first.

I am a pretty skilled pilot so i dont use any defensive star cards as i find u rarely need them. So i have advanced capacitors to epic level. Fire control cycler to epic and tuned lasers to rare. I find that even with this I am an absolute beast. I find that i can take out enemies in a flash and do serious damage to objectives too. When i get tuned lasers to epic too it should be a massacre.

I know that other cards give you higher percentage perks but i stay alive long enough anyway.

Bombers i am working on maxing defensive cards as youre always vulnerable.

Fighters i use one defensive card and two offensive ones. I rarely play fighter class other than the ARC which can be undefeatable in the right hands and the xwing ocassionally.

Oh and hero ships. I use alot of hero ships and all cards are primarily defensive. Keep that hero alive longer.

As for tips. All i can say is play the objective, play the objective and play the objective. Hit whatever the main target is. Then take some people out who are inevitably stacked up behind your bombers as they give you both kill points and objective points. Then resume your attack on the target. Dont get caught in dog fights with the defending team as your kill doesnt affect their ability to respawn. Their kill on you does. Plus dogfighting puts a target on your back as you will be drawn out into the open and taken down. As you strafe the objective stay near cover and dont fly straight for too long. Only get out of the cover of debris or infrastructure to take out people stacked up behind bombers/fighters.

Oh and on Fondor. If youre the rebels in the second phase, dont dogfight above the star destroyer it is a waste of time and resources. You wont kill that many people anyway. Play your role and get in those tunnels take out the shield generators. You get more points and any imperials are easy pickings in those tunnels. Also protect the bombers. Protect those bombers. Its easier than ever on this map. People literally fly straight into a tunnel after them. Just get behind them and take the whole lot out. Follow the bombers into the tunnel. Fire missiles at the generators and then follow the bombers out but keep distance as some of those **** dogfighting above will catch on that the bombers are there and try and swoop in for some easy battle points. This is where you can take all of them out too. Then go back into the tunnels as the bombers leave anyway. Fire missiles at a generator again. Do some damage, come back out and then resume protecting the new wave of bombers.

Its really as easy as that.

If youre the imperials on Fondor flood that tunnel. Get slave one to strafe through the side openings dropping seismic charges and just decimate anyone trying for the objective.

Seriously too often regardless of whether i am attacker or defender on Fondor I am the only one in those tunnels. (Sometimes I dont mind as if im a hero ship alone in there i can do alot of damage un noticed. But it really is annoying when all of your team mates are dogfighting to try and get through silly milestones.

I understand that the progression is a slog but you can get kills and maul the objective. As the attacker on a map I score big objective scores and get about 20-30 kills and as the defender i usually get a few thousand objective score and about 60-80 kills. So in one map i have both won both games by playing the objective but also gotten over 100 kills for my milestones.

If you just get in the open and dogfight you will get about 30 kills per game and not win and get taken out alot. Also, if you are playing the objective and picking people off as and when you can from cover you find that you get alot more saviour kills.

I did my regular saviour kills objective in the first week of having the game back at launch. I did it by playing the objective hard. Im now working on Tali's saviour kills but that is a bit more of a slog as her A wing is vulnerable.

The point is play the objective...
  • Seriously too often regardless of whether i am attacker or defender on Fondor I am the only one in those tunnels. (Sometimes I dont mind as if im a hero ship alone in there i can do alot of damage un noticed. But it really is annoying when all of your team mates are dogfighting to try and get through silly milestones.

Nice post. The quoted part reminded me of something, I am often alone on the first objective in the front of the Star Destroyer with the 2 generators (sorry but I have no clue what map is named what) and feel that the amount of BP you can make for that specific objective is way less compared to the others.

Anyone else have this feeling?

If I fly my Arc back and forth on the tractor beam objective, I can take a hero ship straight away after destroying them, but flying in an ellipse in that Star Destroyer seems so painful, I really hate being the Rebels on that map as I am forced to fly that tight loop over and over and for what feels like very little rewards in terms of BP. Every time I do a U-turn at the front of the ship, I can see all the other players are just flying around killing each other and having fun, but if you do not make the second phase, well, as in all SA maps, the match just seems wasted.
  • Personally i have beeb upgrading my interceptor class first.

I am a pretty skilled pilot so i dont use any defensive star cards as i find u rarely need them. So i have advanced capacitors to epic level. Fire control cycler to epic and tuned lasers to rare. I find that even with this I am an absolute beast. I find that i can take out enemies in a flash and do serious damage to objectives too. When i get tuned lasers to epic too it should be a massacre.

We did the math on tuned lasers elsewhere in the thread, and personally I think tuned lasers is a waste of a Star Card slot. My Interceptor is almost exactly like yours, with Epic Heat Capacitators and Fire Control Cyclers. But the third Epic card is Elite Pilot. I know the interceptor already turns better than its Fighter and Bomber counterparts, but if you ever get into interceptor turn fights that 20% is everything.

In case you can't find it elsewhere on the thread, the simplified math I was talking about was this: we assume you can fire ten shots (in some irrelevant window of time) normally, each for ten damage apiece. So in one burst you would do 100 damage. With the Epic fire Control Cycler and Heat Capacitators, you fire 14 shots in the same window for 140 damage. But, if you stack on the Epic Tuned lasers, you fire 14 shots for 11 damage each, totaling 154: a very minor overall damage increase compared to not having the Tuned Lasers at all.
  • Try to stay as a fighter. They are the best ship class. If you are rebels or resistance, the A-wing is a pretty good ship, so is the tri-fighter.

Most hero ships have a card that improves the aim assist. DEFINITELY USE THIS. I once got a 52 kill streak using Poe because of this card.
  • -Tuck and Turn

So basicly what is called a split s?

split_s.jpg

Also you forgot to mention that you have a key that allow you to check behind you, very usefull to see if you took a lost hit or if someone is on your tail or if he is still on your tail after the split s or other escape maneuver.

I know I'm kind of late to the party on this thread as I just got the game but I was about to post the same image until I got to your post. Well done! The split S is a great maneuver because you can execute it very quickly. In a game like Star Citizen or others you have to be careful because depending on speed you could pull a lot of Gs in a split second because of lack of gravity but this game doesn't seem like it will have that kind of problem.

I'm sure this is also covered later in the comments but haven't gone through them all yet but the split S is also a great maneuver for your "breaking the endless loop fight". You can afterburner away to break the loop and then pull the split S so as to be coming up from below the view horizon to fire head on.

I love dogfighting and threads like this. Looking forward to reading the rest!
  • Is there some trick to locating targets on the ground? I seem to have trouble seeing them. Maybe I will get used to it.
  • Is there some trick to locating targets on the ground? I seem to have trouble seeing them. Maybe I will get used to it.

Unfortunately not. Sometimes you can see a target marker (I think if they've been marked by a hero ability or thermal binoculars) but often times you just have to keep an eye out for specks that are infantry. Needless to say this is easier on some maps than others. It's pretty easy to spot bad guys on Tatooine, but somewhat more difficult on Kashyyyk.

If you really have trouble outright seeing the enemy, your best bet is to just know where players are most likely to be. Like defending the staircase on Starkiller base. Often I can't see the enemy, but I know where they are likely to be, so just blindly firing in that area is likely to kill enemies.

So just learn where the enemy is most likely to be based on their objective, and you can still rack up a lot of kills just spraying the area.
  • Unfortunately not. Sometimes you can see a target marker (I think if they've been marked by a hero ability or thermal binoculars) but often times you just have to keep an eye out for specks that are infantry. Needless to say this is easier on some maps than others. It's pretty easy to spot bad guys on Tatooine, but somewhat more difficult on Kashyyyk.

If you really have trouble outright seeing the enemy, your best bet is to just know where players are most likely to be. Like defending the staircase on Starkiller base. Often I can't see the enemy, but I know where they are likely to be, so just blindly firing in that area is likely to kill enemies.

So just learn where the enemy is most likely to be based on their objective, and you can still rack up a lot of kills just spraying the area.

Thanks for the response. I kinda assumed that was the case. I will keep trying and stop crashing into the ground. Heh.
  • Unfortunately not. Sometimes you can see a target marker (I think if they've been marked by a hero ability or thermal binoculars) but often times you just have to keep an eye out for specks that are infantry. Needless to say this is easier on some maps than others. It's pretty easy to spot bad guys on Tatooine, but somewhat more difficult on Kashyyyk.

Thanks for the response. I kinda assumed that was the case. I will keep trying and stop crashing into the ground. Heh.

If you need more time to accurately spot enemies (and hopefully not crash) remember to gain some altitude at the end of each strafing run, and decelerate as much as possible before turning back to the ground. Don't be afraid to use your Overcharge abilities when attacking infantry as well. I once killed six Stormtroopers simultaneously with the X-Wing Overcharge, in about two shots. If you kill the enemy fast you can pull back up fairly quickly and get away from the ground.
  • jiaco wrote: »
    Seriously too often regardless of whether i am attacker or defender on Fondor I am the only one in those tunnels. (Sometimes I dont mind as if im a hero ship alone in there i can do alot of damage un noticed. But it really is annoying when all of your team mates are dogfighting to try and get through silly milestones.

Nice post. The quoted part reminded me of something, I am often alone on the first objective in the front of the Star Destroyer with the 2 generators (sorry but I have no clue what map is named what) and feel that the amount of BP you can make for that specific objective is way less compared to the others.

If I fly my Arc back and forth on the tractor beam objective, I can take a hero ship straight away after destroying them, but flying in an ellipse in that Star Destroyer seems so painful, I really hate being the Rebels on that map as I am forced to fly that tight loop over and over and for what feels like very little rewards in terms of BP. Every time I do a U-turn at the front of the ship, I can see all the other players are just flying around killing each other and having fun, but if you do not make the second phase, well, as in all SA maps, the match just seems wasted.

You can get points for covering the AI X-Wings as well, but yeah phase 2 is worth a lot more points when killing the transports.

You can get points for covering the AI X-Wings as well, but yeah phase 2 is worth a lot more points when killing the transports.

Personally I never felt this issue during the Unknown Regions map, but truth be told I haven't been paying a ton of attention. Every time II'm the Resistance I spend the whole first phase just looping in the A-Wing to attack the objectives. I at least get enough points for a hero doing that. I'm assuming your damage output affects earned points? Maybe if you had a higher rate of fire or tuned lasers you would get more points?

I'm thinking you might get less points attacking the First Order Star Destroyer in phase one than in other SA maps because you're much safer doing it. Like the example you mentioned in the Ryloth battle, you get a lot of points attacking the tractor beams, but you're much easier to intercept and kill than you are flying in the tight spaces of the First Order Star Destroyer. Maybe that's why you don't get as many points?
  • jiaco
    64 posts Member

I'm thinking you might get less points attacking the First Order Star Destroyer in phase one than in other SA maps because you're much safer doing it. Like the example you mentioned in the Ryloth battle, you get a lot of points attacking the tractor beams, but you're much easier to intercept and kill than you are flying in the tight spaces of the First Order Star Destroyer. Maybe that's why you don't get as many points?

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thx

@RipperShark > Know the map that’s all there is. Play some infantry get behind everyone on a map and watch were they are going during the whole game to know were to bombard.
    When you know the maps, go to the points you’ve seen people go with the ships, go straight up full throttle when out of bound slow down and start the running in straight line (right click to zoom or left trigger I think in consoles), or spawn kill as you wish but always watch the objective when running, objective over kills you are here in the sky to help the team.

@Jaedric_Kaine > Do you know other advanced flying techniques? It’s the only one I know and one tricking it should be enough for flying in battlefront but some more techniques can be usefull we may never know when we face an advanced flyer.
  • Jaedric_Kaine
    124 posts Member
    edited January 5
    Is there some trick to locating targets on the ground? I seem to have trouble seeing them. Maybe I will get used to it.

@RipperShark > Know the map that’s all there is. Play some infantry get behind everyone on a map and watch were they are going during the whole game to know were to bombard.
    When you know the maps, go to the points you’ve seen people go with the ships, go straight up full throttle when out of bound slow down and start the running in straight line (right click to zoom or left trigger I think in consoles), or spawn kill as you wish but always watch the objective when running, objective over kills you are here in the sky to help the team.

@Jaedric_Kaine > Do you know other advanced flying techniques? It’s the only one I know and one tricking it should be enough for flying in battlefront but some more techniques can be usefull we may never know when we face an advanced flyer.

@CloudWalker Yo-yo's can also be a good maneuver, but are more so on sims where real atmospheric physics are present. However, I have sometimes been able to pull them when you are stuck an a long looping engagement and just cannot get the right shot lined up because they aren't expecting you to make these kinds of movements.

The Immelmann turn is also a really good one for video games because lack of real life physics don't decrease it's effectiveness as much.

An Immelmann trades airspeed for altitude during a 180 degree change in direction. The aircraft performs the first half of a loop, and when completely inverted, rolls to the upright position. The Immelmann is a good offensive maneuver for setting up a high-side guns pass against a lower altitude, slow moving opponent, going in an opposite direction. However, an Immelmann is a poor defensive maneuver, turning the defender into a slow moving target

High Yo-Yo
    290px-High_Yo-Yo_with_instruction_diagram.PNG

Low Yo-Yo
    Low_Yo-Yo_with_instruction_diagrams.PNG

But sadly most of your classic dogfighting manuvers are not as effective in games because the physics reasons why they have been developed do not exist.

@CloudWalker Yo-yo's can also be a good maneuver, but are more so on sims where real atmospheric physics are present. However, I have sometimes been able to pull them when you are stuck an a long looping engagement and just cannot get the right shot lined up because they aren't expecting you to make these kinds of movements.

The Immelmann turn is also a really good one for video games because lack of real life physics don't decrease it's effectiveness as much.

An Immelmann trades airspeed for altitude during a 180 degree change in direction. The aircraft performs the first half of a loop, and when completely inverted, rolls to the upright position. The Immelmann is a good offensive maneuver for setting up a high-side guns pass against a lower altitude, slow moving opponent, going in an opposite direction. However, an Immelmann is a poor defensive maneuver, turning the defender into a slow moving target

High Yo-Yo
    290px-High_Yo-Yo_with_instruction_diagram.PNG

Low Yo-Yo
    Low_Yo-Yo_with_instruction_diagrams.PNG

But sadly most of your classic dogfighting manuvers are not as effective in games because the physics reasons why they have been developed do not exist.

I can definitely attest to the effectiveness of Yo-yo's in this game for breaking loops. Admittedly it doesn't work as well as it does in games like say, War Thunder, but it is still much more effective for breaking a loop and gaining an advantage that blindly following them in a straight line.
  • Tallround75
    115 posts Member
    edited January 6
    For breaking the constant circle in anything with an afterburner, I get the opponent to commit to circling in one direction then quickly pull up (to stay out of their view) and reverse the circle for 180 degrees and afterburn away to increase the distance.

Quickly turn back on them and try to catch them with barrage or heavy laser.

Whatever tricks I can use to increase their reaction time/aim and reduce mine helps (eg afterburn towards cluttery objects so when they see me turn back towards them, they may waste a second or two finding me against the cluttered background).

If I notice them flying directly at me when I turn back at them, just start dodging as I fly towards them, rinse, repeat.

Works a treat with Kylo or Po’s ships too. I had 4 ties chasing me in Po’s ship once and killed each of them one at a time doing this.
  • RipperShark
    334 posts Member
    edited January 6
    Is this going to be the official SA thread? :) I wish we had a dedicated forum.

I have a question about hero ships, if it is okay.

Do they all have better health than regular ships? Also, do the fighters and interceptors generally have better speed and turning than their regular counterparts? I would like to know in order to best decide what cards to level.

Also, are the following generally true?

Vader = fighter
    Kylo = fighter
    Maul = interceptor

I don't play hero ships very often, as I get very focused on objectives and don't bother, but I would like to start playing them more.

Also, does anyone know of a source that lists the hitpoints and damage values for the ships and weapons?
  • One thing I'd like to know is whether your speed affects your blaster damage, as with the previous game. I've been slowing down while hitting targets, but then today I tried without slowing down and I seemed to be getting a lot more kills. Anyone know anything about this?
  • Is this going to be the official SA thread? :) I wish we had a dedicated forum.

I have a question about hero ships, if it is okay.

Do they all have better health than regular ships? Also, do the fighters and interceptors generally have better speed and turning than their regular counterparts? I would like to know in order to best decide what cards to level.

Also, are the following generally true?

Vader = fighter
    Kylo = fighter
    Maul = interceptor

I don't play hero ships very often, as I get very focused on objectives and don't bother, but I would like to start playing them more.

Also, does anyone know of a source that lists the hitpoints and damage values for the ships and weapons?

I certainly hope it becomes a main SA thread. I'd feel kind of honored for starting it.

Anyway, I think it goes without saying that the Hero ships have more health than their normal variants. Darth Maul's Scimitar is obviously an Interceptor, but with way more health than any base interceptor in the game. The same is true of Luke's X-Wing, which has more health than a regular X-wing. Now, I'm not exactly sure if hero ships have better turn speeds than regular ships. To be honest, I haven't noticed any kind of notable difference in turn speeds between heroes and regular fighters. For instance, i've gotten stuck in a loop fight between a regular TIE Fighter and Poe's X-Wing, so I don't think hero ships turn any faster unless you use the specific star card for it. Could be wrong.

I'm afraid I don't know of any source with all the data for health and damage though. You kind of just get a rough idea by playing everything.

• LOTR2013 wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to know is whether your speed affects your blaster damage, as with the previous game. I've been slowing down while hitting targets, but then today I tried without slowing down and I seemed to be getting a lot more kills. Anyone know anything about this?

Truth be told I've seen no difference in raw damage output based on your speed in this game. It's possible you might be getting more kills because you're landing more accurate shots. The slower you move the easier it is to line things up and follow targets. It's also easier to chase enemies at low speeds, so if you've been flying top speed until now that could explain why you are starting to get more kills.
  • jiaco
    64 posts Member
    LOTR2013 wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to know is whether your speed affects your blaster damage, as with the previous game. I've been slowing down while hitting targets, but then today I tried without slowing down and I seemed to be getting a lot more kills. Anyone know anything about this?

Truth be told I've seen no difference in raw damage output based on your speed in this game. It's possible you might be getting more kills because you're landing more accurate shots. The slower you move the easier it is to line things up and follow targets. It's also easier to chase enemies at low speeds, so if you've been flying top speed until now that could explain why you are starting to get more kills.

I would say it depends on the tragetory of the target, you have to speed up to hit a ship moving away and slow down, and be careful, for head on encounters. Anything in between, you have to mix it up. One thing for sure, if you ever get the feeling that you are getting a lot of kills going slow or fast, it is typically time to go really fast. The more guys you kill, the more guys that respawn with you as their orange target. After a nice 20 kill streak, you will have the whole other team coming after you. Get them as far from their objective as possible.
  • LOTR2013 wrote: »

You’re probably just dying less by moving faster. People circling around constantly at low speed tend to be easy points for others.
  • LOTR2013
    202 posts Member
    edited January 8

Sorry I wasn't clear, I seem to do better while moving quicker.

You’re probably just dying less by moving faster. People circling around constantly at low speed tend to be easy points for others.

Makes sense.

Thanks for the replies guys.