criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Welcome to the Star Wars Battlefront Forums. To help eliminate spam and fake accounts, you must have a linked EA account and own Star Wars Battlefront I or II to post on the relevant game boards.

Have issues posting, but own the game? Log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Starfighter Tips and Tricks from Someone who Thinks he's Pretty Good

Unlike the ground game, Starfighter Assault has a bit more emphasis on nuance, small details and tricks that can make you a very good pilot or a very bad one. I find that I make it to the top five of almost every Starfighter Assault game, so I figured that, hey, why not share the secret to that success with other players? I love Starfighter Assault, and I want everyone else to love it too, which is hard to do if you're dying all the time. So, here's a few tips and tricks, mostly obvious, that might help you step up your SA game.

-Save Your Abilities for Emergencies

This may seem obvious, but using your abilities the right way is key to your survival. A Tail Gunner can save you from a pursuer. The Afterburner can break missile lock. The Tactical Jammer makes you much harder to hit. This is all pretty straightforward stuff, but a lot of players like to activate abilities as soon as they are available, rather than saving them for that critical moment when someone is on your tail.

-Tuck and Turn

If you take a hit, you should immediately stop whatever you are doing and evade. Thing is, there is a certain maneuver that is better than the others for this. I call it Tuck and Turn. Assuming you are flying straight, and someone comes in from straight behind you, the best thing to do is roll your craft upside down and fly both below and towards the enemy. There are many reason why this is the best evasive maneuver.

The first reason for this is very subtle. Next time you play SA, pay attention to where your ship is on the screen. It's just slightly beneath the middle, on the lower half of the screen. What does this mean? A player has a better view of everything above them and to the sides than below them. It is more difficult for a player to track a ship below them than anywhere else. Now, a smart pursuer will roll his ship when you fly under him so that you are technically 'above' him so he can follow you more easily, but either way your are still better off going below than any other direction.

It's also better to fly towards the enemy (Not DIRECTLY towards them mind you) because it limits your exposure to their guns. The less time you are on their screen at all, the less time they have to shoot at you! This maneuver can be coupled with an afterburner to get below and past them even faster if you want.

*Note that this maneuver will be less effective with slower ships, such as bombers. As a bomber, if there is an interceptor on your tail, outmaneuvering them is a fantasy. Your defensive abilities are your best bet there.

-Never Fly in a Straight Line for more than a Second

During evasion, that is. If you've got no one harassing you, feel free to make that straightforward attack run on an enemy cruiser. But if you're trying to avoid getting blown to smithereens by an enemy pilot, tuck, roll, turn, and dive every which way you can. The targeting circle for hitting an enemy ship follows whatever direction the ship is going. The more often you change directions, the more often your targeting circle changes positions, making it more difficult for an enemy to hit you. Note that this means pulling a Star Fox will not actually help you, as barrel rolling (aileron rolling) in place will not change where your targeting circle is.

-Know the Small Stuff

Did you know that, without any modifications whatsoever, a TIE Fighter can out-turn an X-Wing? If a TIE Fighter and an X-Wing try to fly circles around each other to get a shot, the TIE Fighter will win. Note that they are both Fighter class ships, so this is not a class thing. Along the same vein, I'm pretty sure Vulture Droids are more maneuverable than ARC-170s. Know the small stuff about your ship, and you might find yourself doing better.

-Never Accept Defeat

As I mentioned above, a bomber (Or the Millenium Falcon) has almost no chance of outmaneuvering an enemy. That does not mean you should just give up and die however! The longer you survive, the more time you have for a friendly pilot to notice your plight and come save you. This is especially true of bombers with Tactical Jammers, as it is very easily to stay alive with this ability. In fact, as long as you can survive long enough for the ability to refresh after use, you can almost stay alive indefinitely against an average pursuer. As for Y-Wings, the turret is unfortunately not a 'Tail Gunner' and there is not as useful at defending you (though it can shoot rear targets) so survival is a bit more difficult.

-Turn Towards Torpedoes

If you have a missile on your tail, don't fret; even bombers can usually avoid them rather easily. When a torpedo gets close to you, turning towards it makes it more difficult for it to cut the corner and stay on you. Most of the time they'll overshoot you and be useless. You often don't even need to slow down for this.

-Slower Speed = Tighter Turns

I'm assuming everyone knew this since the game itself says it, but here you go anyway.

-Certain Star Cards are META

Most Effective Tactic Available denotes a means of attack or defense superior to all others. For the Interceptor class, this is 'Elite Pilot.' At Tier 4, it increases your turn speed by 20%. That is A LOT. With that card, you will never be out-maneuvered by ANYONE, except maybe another Interceptor with the same card at the same level. For the Bomber, you should heavily consider the cards that affect your abilities directly, extending how long your turret is active or how much health your astromech heals. For the Fighter, unfortunately, there is no real META Star Card, as they all affect rather general things. Still, more health and more damage makes you more formidable all around.

-Always Fly the ARC-170

This is a halfway joke, but on the other hand I'm also being serious. I currently consider the ARC-170 to be the strongest fighter in the game. First off, it has a ton of health for its class. It also has shields. It has an astromech like an X-wing, but most importantly it has a Tail Gunner. And a pretty decent Tail Gunner at that. More than once, I've attacked an ARC-170 from behind, and wondered in awe why on earth the player wasn't using his Tail Gunner to at least deter me.

The Tail Gunner and the Astromech also both recharge very quickly, meaning you can be extremely hard to kill if you're good. Not only can you heal pretty much completely every fifteen seconds or so, but you can return fire against your pursuer at the same rate as well, and that Tail Gunner does more damage than you think. So long as you evade well, you can survive long enough for your abilities to recharge and keep defending and healing your ship. As far as the Republic is concerned, there really is no reason not to fly the ARC-170.

...Other than the fact that it's guns sound just like the X-Wing. Bleh.

Replies

• Great post. I love the starfighter games as well and was looking for some tricks. I still haven't spent any crafting parts yet and am level 15. I was waiting to get some low level ones from starfighter crates before using crafting parts to bump them up the actual starfighting cards you get in a drop is minimal. Most of the time I find I get troopers parts or parts for hero startfighters.

ARC-170 is the best fighter. I can kill so many when using it.
  • Yes, you are an awesome flyer! I prefer you on my team than against. Thanks for the tips. I wanted to add that the video on advanced starfighting has some more excellent tips and explains some of the symbols (such as the triangle that appears when a missle is tracking you). I've really struggled to learn the controls and I'm improving but it so so much different than swbf1. I'm now at the point of turning on advanced controls, and its getting fun again.
    You try learning this at 900 years of age and do so well.
  • Kykyphph
    67 posts Member
    edited December 2
    @Shadow0Fire

I did rebind the "target attacker" to my space bar, to get access it always. mostly ppl killing me while i attack another player, so i spam space while attacking enemy (well as a noob in videogames i often forget to use it).

For me, its a big help, but sometimes i just reallize, that 2-3 ppl targeting me, because its jumping between them lol.

I dont know why, but many times dieing is so fast, that i can see only 2 hits on me and BOOM. Maybe its lag or something?

BTW can you make video about the manouvering you talked? My english is not that great and would be nice to see what you talked about.
  • TimothyLux wrote: »
    Yes, you are an awesome flyer! I prefer you on my team than against. Thanks for the tips. I wanted to add that the video on advanced starfighting has some more excellent tips and explains some of the symbols (such as the triangle that appears when a missle is tracking you). I've really struggled to learn the controls and I'm improving but it so so much different than swbf1. I'm now at the point of turning on advanced controls, and its getting fun again.
    You try learning this at 900 years of age and do so well.

I'm not sure what video you're referencing. Can you please add a link?
  • TIE fighter is more agile than X-Wing
    TIE interceptor is more agile than A-wing? because A-Wing feels faster and more agile. And its weapons are stronger.
  • Kykyphph wrote: »
    TIE fighter is more agile than X-Wing
    TIE interceptor is more agile than A-wing? because A-Wing feels faster and more agile. And its weapons are stronger.

I'm afraid I don't know about the Interceptor. I don/t use the TIE Int. often at all. Not to mention that since the Elite Pilot star card exists, it really doesn't make much of a difference since turn speed can be increased.
  • Imo Tie Fighter is the strongest ship in the game right now (excluding heros)

Although i use only cockpit view and may be just because of the much better view.

Having a LOT of fun in SA
  • Best hero ship? Just wondering peoples opinions.

Got to say mine would have to be Kylo ren / bobba Fet ships on dark side and Poe / Luke / Yoda on light (falcon sucks)
  • Unlike the ground game, Starfighter Assault has a bit more emphasis on nuance, small details and tricks that can make you a very good pilot or a very bad one. I find that I make it to the top five of almost every Starfighter Assault game, so I figured that, hey, why not share the secret to that success with other players? I love Starfighter Assault, and I want everyone else to love it too, which is hard to do if you're dying all the time. So, here's a few tips and tricks, mostly obvious, that might help you step up your SA game.

-Save Your Abilities for Emergencies

This may seem obvious, but using your abilities the right way is key to your survival. A Tail Gunner can save you from a pursuer. The Afterburner can break missile lock. The Tactical Jammer makes you much harder to hit. This is all pretty straightforward stuff, but a lot of players like to activate abilities as soon as they are available, rather than saving them for that critical moment when someone is on your tail.

-Tuck and Turn

If you take a hit, you should immediately stop whatever you are doing and evade. Thing is, there is a certain maneuver that is better than the others for this. I call it Tuck and Turn. Assuming you are flying straight, and someone comes in from straight behind you, the best thing to do is roll your craft upside down and fly both below and towards the enemy. There are many reason why this is the best evasive maneuver.

The first reason for this is very subtle. Next time you play SA, pay attention to where your ship is on the screen. It's just slightly beneath the middle, on the lower half of the screen. What does this mean? A player has a better view of everything above them and to the sides than below them. It is more difficult for a player to track a ship below them than anywhere else. Now, a smart pursuer will roll his ship when you fly under him so that you are technically 'above' him so he can follow you more easily, but either way your are still better off going below than any other direction.

It's also better to fly towards the enemy (Not DIRECTLY towards them mind you) because it limits your exposure to their guns. The less time you are on their screen at all, the less time they have to shoot at you! This maneuver can be coupled with an afterburner to get below and past them even faster if you want.

*Note that this maneuver will be less effective with slower ships, such as bombers. As a bomber, if there is an interceptor on your tail, outmaneuvering them is a fantasy. Your defensive abilities are your best bet there.

-Never Fly in a Straight Line for more than a Second

During evasion, that is. If you've got no one harassing you, feel free to make that straightforward attack run on an enemy cruiser. But if you're trying to avoid getting blown to smithereens by an enemy pilot, tuck, roll, turn, and dive every which way you can. The targeting circle for hitting an enemy ship follows whatever direction the ship is going. The more often you change directions, the more often your targeting circle changes positions, making it more difficult for an enemy to hit you. Note that this means pulling a Star Fox will not actually help you, as barrel rolling (aileron rolling) in place will not change where your targeting circle is.

-Know the Small Stuff

Did you know that, without any modifications whatsoever, a TIE Fighter can out-turn an X-Wing? If a TIE Fighter and an X-Wing try to fly circles around each other to get a shot, the TIE Fighter will win. Note that they are both Fighter class ships, so this is not a class thing. Along the same vein, I'm pretty sure Vulture Droids are more maneuverable than ARC-170s. Know the small stuff about your ship, and you might find yourself doing better.

-Never Accept Defeat

As I mentioned above, a bomber (Or the Millenium Falcon) has almost no chance of outmaneuvering an enemy. That does not mean you should just give up and die however! The longer you survive, the more time you have for a friendly pilot to notice your plight and come save you. This is especially true of bombers with Tactical Jammers, as it is very easily to stay alive with this ability. In fact, as long as you can survive long enough for the ability to refresh after use, you can almost stay alive indefinitely against an average pursuer. As for Y-Wings, the turret is unfortunately not a 'Tail Gunner' and there is not as useful at defending you (though it can shoot rear targets) so survival is a bit more difficult.

-Turn Towards Torpedoes

If you have a missile on your tail, don't fret; even bombers can usually avoid them rather easily. When a torpedo gets close to you, turning towards it makes it more difficult for it to cut the corner and stay on you. Most of the time they'll overshoot you and be useless. You often don't even need to slow down for this.

-Slower Speed = Tighter Turns

I'm assuming everyone knew this since the game itself says it, but here you go anyway.

-Certain Star Cards are META

Most Effective Tactic Available denotes a means of attack or defense superior to all others. For the Interceptor class, this is 'Elite Pilot.' At Tier 4, it increases your turn speed by 20%. That is A LOT. With that card, you will never be out-maneuvered by ANYONE, except maybe another Interceptor with the same card at the same level. For the Bomber, you should heavily consider the cards that affect your abilities directly, extending how long your turret is active or how much health your astromech heals. For the Fighter, unfortunately, there is no real META Star Card, as they all affect rather general things. Still, more health and more damage makes you more formidable all around.

-Always Fly the ARC-170

This is a halfway joke, but on the other hand I'm also being serious. I currently consider the ARC-170 to be the strongest fighter in the game. First off, it has a ton of health for its class. It also has shields. It has an astromech like an X-wing, but most importantly it has a Tail Gunner. And a pretty decent Tail Gunner at that. More than once, I've attacked an ARC-170 from behind, and wondered in awe why on earth the player wasn't using his Tail Gunner to at least deter me.

The Tail Gunner and the Astromech also both recharge very quickly, meaning you can be extremely hard to kill if you're good. Not only can you heal pretty much completely every fifteen seconds or so, but you can return fire against your pursuer at the same rate as well, and that Tail Gunner does more damage than you think. So long as you evade well, you can survive long enough for your abilities to recharge and keep defending and healing your ship. As far as the Republic is concerned, there really is no reason not to fly the ARC-170.

...Other than the fact that it's guns sound just like the X-Wing. Bleh.

Great post. I absolutely LOVE the ARC -170. That turret gets many kills for me.
  • Haz2014 wrote: »
    Best hero ship? Just wondering peoples opinions.

Got to say mine would have to be Kylo ren / bobba Fet ships on dark side and Poe / Luke / Yoda on light (falcon sucks)

I'd have to say Luke's X-Wing for the light side, mostly for the Star Card abilities it can have. Unlike Poe's X-Wing, you can increase Luke's turn rate and his rate of fire, both of which are extremely useful. I do like the Black Leader ability, but personally I think being able to nearly insta-fire extra damage torpedoes is more useful.

I'm a bit torn on the Dark Side, as nearly all their hero ships are pretty good. Personally I'd say the Scimitar, if used in the hands of a really good player, since it can obliterate almost any ship except the Falcon in one cloak attack. After all, I feel like Slave One is actually kind of mediocre besides the Seismic Charge (is it just me or do its guns not do a lot of damage?). Still, nearly all the Dark Side ships are good.

I'd have to say Luke's X-Wing for the light side, mostly for the Star Card abilities it can have. Unlike Poe's X-Wing, you can increase Luke's turn rate and his rate of fire, both of which are extremely useful. I do like the Black Leader ability, but personally I think being able to nearly insta-fire extra damage torpedoes is more useful.

I'm a bit torn on the Dark Side, as nearly all their hero ships are pretty good. Personally I'd say the Scimitar, if used in the hands of a really good player, since it can obliterate almost any ship except the Falcon in one cloak attack. After all, I feel like Slave One is actually kind of mediocre besides the Seismic Charge (is it just me or do its guns not do a lot of damage?). Still, nearly all the Dark Side ships are good.

Is there ANYTHING more giggle-inducing than taking out 4-5 enemies with the Siezmic Charge, though?

Is there ANYTHING more giggle-inducing than taking out 4-5 enemies with the Siezmic Charge, though?

The only thing more giggle-inducing would probably be the very rare instances in which you actually DO outmaneuver some noob in the Falcon.
  • Great tips! I'd also like to add some I've found in my play, let me know what you think.

-Tuned Lasers are Overrated
    I don't know why people are maxing this star card to Purple. Although straight damage buffs are almost always the best ability choice in any video game, a 10% dmg bonus at Purple is far too little to make a noticeable difference in killing power. Rate of Fire upgrades (Int) and Reduced Overheat (Bomber) are much more useful for damage output if that's what you're seeking. Otherwise health upgrades are much more likely to improve your play.

-Don't Shoot what you Can't Kill (Galactic Assault)
    If you just want to bomb and strafe, never shoot another starfighter, or you'll immediately stand out from the bots, get a big red death arrow pointing at you and a HUD marker, and even if you do kill them you'll get a REVENGE marker that you can see from across the map when they spawn in two seconds later. Just evade and if you can't shake them or get allied help just die and respawn - unless you want to spend the whole match circle fighting.

-Don't take Pot Shots
    If you're playing Starfighter Assault or dogfighting in GA then resist the urge to fire your first volley until you can get a solid hit. Pilots don't usually know you're there until they get hit - if you activate your damage ability you can often finish them off before they knew what hit them.

-Missiles aren't Player Killers
    Use missiles to force a player to evade so you can escape, or to bomb targets - do not rely on them to kill experienced pilots. To kill with them, they are best used at very long distances or when you're right behind an unaware target - faster lock-on star card may help here - maybe a high alpha damage torp build could be quite deadly if you can basically snap-fire it.

-Rear View Camera
    Left or Right on the D-pad is your rear view camera. I use this constantly when climbing, escaping, or just putting distance between me and my ground target. You can still fly and jink while you use it.

-Erratic Roll
    I find that it's especially hard to draw a bead on circle fighters that change their turn direction by 15-20 degrees every 3-5 seconds.

-Eye of the Needle
    Bombers extremely slow minimum speed makes you a sitting duck in open areas (especially Y-Wings) but it's of great help when you are maneuvering through dense cover. It is extremely hard for a faster fighter to follow a slow bomber through very dense cover without exploding into a million bits - an Interceptor's minimum speed is still really fast - as a slow bomber you can carefully weave through the eye of the needle, where Interceptors would need Jedi-like reflexes to follow you.
    [XB1] RECRUITING STARFIGHTER PILOTS HERE:
    BLACK SQUADRON RECRUITMENT THREAD
  • Rismus wrote: »
    Great tips! I'd also like to add some I've found in my play, let me know what you think.

-Tuned Lasers are Overrated
    I don't know why people are maxing this star card to Purple. Although straight damage buffs are almost always the best ability choice in any video game, a 10% dmg bonus at Purple is far too little to make a noticeable difference in killing power. Rate of Fire upgrades (Int) and Reduced Overheat (Bomber) are much more useful for damage output if that's what you're seeking. Otherwise health upgrades are much more likely to improve your play.

-Don't Shoot what you Can't Kill (Galactic Assault)
    If you just want to bomb and strafe, never shoot another starfighter, or you'll immediately stand out from the bots, get a big red death arrow pointing at you and a HUD marker, and even if you do kill them you'll get a REVENGE marker that you can see from across the map when they spawn in two seconds later. Just evade and if you can't shake them or get allied help just die and respawn - unless you want to spend the whole match circle fighting.

-Don't take Pot Shots
    If you're playing Starfighter Assault or dogfighting in GA then resist the urge to fire your first volley until you can get a solid hit. Pilots don't usually know you're there until they get hit - if you activate your damage ability you can often finish them off before they knew what hit them.

-Missiles aren't Player Killers
    Use missiles to force a player to evade so you can escape, or to bomb targets - do not rely on them to kill experienced pilots. To kill with them, they are best used at very long distances or when you're right behind an unaware target - faster lock-on star card may help here - maybe a high alpha damage torp build could be quite deadly if you can basically snap-fire it.

-Rear View Camera
    Left or Right on the D-pad is your rear view camera. I use this constantly when climbing, escaping, or just putting distance between me and my ground target. You can still fly and jink while you use it.

-Erratic Roll
    I find that it's especially hard to draw a bead on circle fighters that change their turn direction by 15-20 degrees every 3-5 seconds.

-Eye of the Needle
    Bombers extremely slow minimum speed makes you a sitting duck in open areas (especially Y-Wings) but it's of great help when you are maneuvering through dense cover. It is extremely hard for a faster fighter to follow a slow bomber through very dense cover without exploding into a million bits - an Interceptor's minimum speed is still really fast - as a slow bomber you can carefully weave through the eye of the needle, where Interceptors would need Jedi-like reflexes to follow you.

-Tuned Lasers

While 10% is pretty small by itself, I always figured it would be much more efficient with a rate of fire increase. After all, if your ship fires 40% faster, and each shot does 10% extra damage, isn't your raw damage output increasing exponentially? I mean, simple math wise (i'm sure it's somewhat more complex than this) if you fired ten shots and each shot did ten damage, that's 100. If you have both Star Cards maxed out, you fire 14 shots in the same amount of time, with each doing 11 damage, for 154, which is actually a huge damage boost. I think that's right? Math was never my strong suit, so correct me if I'm wrong. Although, I guess without the damage buff at all, it would still be 140 damage, which is only a minor difference...huh, maybe you're right on this one.

-Don't Shoot what you Can't Kill

I never really thought about it (since in GA I almost always only spawn as a ship for air-to-ground support), but this is even true in regular Starfighter Assault. Sure, it's pretty easy to tell which bombers are bots and which are players, but even so, why draw attention to yourself with the aforementioned Avenge and Revenge markers? Best to be as inconspicuous as possible.

-Don't Take Pot Shots

Extremely true for a game like this. In games were damage is permanent, pot shots can sometimes be acceptable just to dish out a critical hit (Looking at War Thunder), but since starfighters can all heal, it's best to catch the enemy unaware and dead with one quick strike. It is tempting to take shots whenever they present themselves, but patience can help players avoid getting into an annoying 'chase the target' situation if they don't tip them off beforehand.

-Torpedoes

Definitely accurate. I never bother to fire torpedoes at players with the intent of actually killing them (except bombers sometimes). Any half-decent player can easily evade a missile or torpedo. But you're right in saying they can be used to somewhat control enemy movement or just add on some extra pressure during a fight.

-Rear-View Camera

OK, so I actually didn't even know about this? Thank you for enlightening me, this will be extremely useful. Unfortunately, situational awareness in this game isn't quite as useful as it is in some other flight combat games (if you're aware that an interceptor is coming for your bomber there still isn't a whole lot you can really do about it) but it never, ever hurts to be aware of what's going on or coming your way.

-Bomber Speed

You're right in saying that it's much easier to maneuver at slow bomber speed, something that benefits a Y-Wing in, say, the shield generator tunnel on Fondor. But i've found that speed **** me off even more in the open. Chasing a bomber in close quarters is actually a huge pain in an interceptor, because you're so fast and they're so slow that you still never get them in your sights for more than a second or two. But, now that this has been brought up, let's add this tip shall we?

-Breaking Endless Turn Fights

We all know this scenario. You're chasing a ship, the ship is chasing you, and all you do is fly circles around each other for five minutes. It's annoying, it takes time away from other things you could be doing, and it often feels pointless. Depending on the situation, you can always break a turn fight by intentionally putting distance between yourself and your target in order to turn back around and have some distance to actually shoot him.

Note that this maneuver is risky however, as it can work against you just as well as for you. If the enemy pilot realizes your are flying away from him before you turn back around to attack, he will have an opportunity to turn and fire at you with some distance as well. It's really all about whether or not the enemy pilot thinks you would actually stop chasing him. But even though it is risky, is it really any worse than endlessly chasing one guy in a neverending circle?
  • CloudWalker
    5 posts Member
    edited December 13
    -Tuck and Turn

So basicly what is called a split s?

split_s.jpg

Also you forgot to mention that you have a key that allow you to check behind you, very usefull to see if you took a lost hit or if someone is on your tail or if he is still on your tail after the split s or other escape maneuver.

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. - Qui-Gon Jinn
    Never tell me the odds. - Han Solo
  • ClepetarT18
    54 posts Member
    edited December 15
    -Tuned Lasers

I have upgraded my Tuned laser to the max with my Bomber and honnestly, it makes a difference when you are chassing another bomber or focusing an objective. You gain more points by doing more damage to players/heroes/objectives etc... This card mixed with maxed Ion turrets = Space Terror XD

Another thing. Im level 26 with my Bomber and i realise im the only person in my team / ennemy team with this level. Everybody are between 0-10 . This is normal ?