criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

The Last Jedi: Spoiler Thread

Prev13456716
WARNING
This thread contains MAJOR spoilers for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. If you haven't seen the movie yet and wish to remain unspoiled, leave now.
Gone? Are you sure you wish to proceed?
Ok, someone else start off our discussion; I'm too afraid lol
We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames

Replies

• There is an actual spoiler in here.
    So how about that Yoda appearance?
    "In my book, experience outranks everything."
  • CPT_Rex wrote: »
    There is an actual spoiler in here.
    So how about that Yoda appearance?
    Big spoilers ahead.
    He memed Luke hard, just like he should have. But to be able to cast lightning from the sky? I don't know. I thought that Force Ghosts were going to be passive in the new canon, where they can only try to persuade people and reveal things. Also, I get that Yoda wanted to teach Luke a lesson, but to destroy relics from a by gone age of the ancient Jedi, as well as the tree? Kinda true to his character, but still, what a waste (even though they didn't have much new info in them).

How did you feel about Luke dying from exhaustion with a mere astral projection? I get that he sort of "blocked" himself off from the Force, and this was supposedly his first time diving back into it once again, but still. Also, he used the Force A LOT in the movie, so I don't understand exactly what they mean by him blocking himself off (he uses a Force Repulse unintentionally that obliterates the housing). Maybe they meant he was hiding his presence, like Obi Wan and Palps did? But still, I was kinda hoping he could tank all the blaster fire his projection took.

Another thing, Kylo hardly used the Force when he could've. One, against the Praetorian Guards, but I guess that would have made it too easy. Meanwhile, Rey continues to Deus Ex Machina her way in using the Force, becoming at least on par with Yoda's capability in AOTC, where he prevents the pipe from falling on Anakin and Obi wan. She just goes "oh, lemme consentrate, and I can lift up these rocks with MINIMAL training. Bruh, Luke was having a hard time with his 3 rocks and Yoda on Dagobah. Not to mention they don't explain how she's this strong.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • wtf was up with Leia flying through space no pressure suit and not died? LOLz
  • gio0079 wrote: »
    **** was up with Leia flying through space no pressure suit and not died? LOLz
    I thought that was kinda cool TBH. It was a real heart breaker to see Kylo not be able to kill his mom, only for his wingmen to just merc the command center (BTW, RIP Admiral Akbar. You will be missed).

Anyway, I thought that she may have trained a bit with Luke in order to use the Force to survive the explosion and the vacuum of space for a good minute or two. Remember Plo ***** in Clone Wars, when he uses the Force and his mask to survive the vacuum of space and deal with the droids? Now, I get that Leia probably didn't train nearly as much as Plo, but she is FAR stronger in potential, so maybe that balances out.

What I still hate is how Luke died from overexertion via astral projection. I thought at the most it would tire him out and he'd need to eat some green milk and take a power nap after. But to basically bring him to death so he could then just let himself go? Now THAT'S some poodoo. I'd understand if he'd passed on into the Force if, say, he took out all those walkers, TIEs, etc on his own, but death by overexertion from creating an illusion? Come on. I feel like they just did that so they could focus on Rey, Finn, Rose, Poe, BB-8, Kylo, and the rest of the ST guys, and that way Luke can still be around as a Force Ghost to troll people.

• SPOILERS

Am I the only one that found the movie kinda underwhelming? I mean nothing cool or meaningful really happened. snoke can move people with the force and make them see each other through the force. Yet Kylo could block his feelings and use the force to cut him in half? No light saber fights what's so ever. At the end Luke's death was pretty anti climatic also.
  • Like I mentioned in the other thread, I really wanted to like this movie a lot. I tried but I just can't. I can confidently say this is what I consider to be the worst Star Wars film, and it totally put the nail in the coffin for this trilogy for me.
    Rey is still perfect, never loses a fight, never really got trained, but is still highly proficient with a lightsaber and the force, and saves the day at every opportunity. There were zero consequences for her leaving Luke without training and rushing straight into the main villain. Overall a boring, awful protagonist with zero character development and little to relate to. "I can handle myself!!111!!"

Snoke is a joke. He was apparently "stronger than Vader and Palpatine" yet accomplishes absolutely nothing before getting killed in an obvious and careless way. His identity wasn't significant, so it doesn't matter that we didn't learn about it. He served no place in the films.

Kylo Ren is the exact same character as in TFA albeit slightly less obsessed with Vader since he decided to destroy his mask. Other than that...the same whiny, over emotional, conflicted mess. Nothing new here.

Which brings up the point that these films have no true villains. Hux is just a joke character, the "supreme leader" instantly died, Phasma did nothing again then died, and Kylo Ren has already been defeated by the protagonist and proves no threat to her.

Jokes in this movie were almost always ill timed and ill placed. Luke throwing that lightsaber over his shoulder was a slap in the face. You create a moment with tension, excitement, mystery and then throw it all away for a cheap laugh during the first watch? It will never be funny again after the first time. Not to mention that whole beginning with Hux and Poe was so cringe worthy. There are more, but these two stood out the most.

The gambling place, or wherever Rose and Finn went, didn't feel like Star Wars at all. Looked more like something out of the Hunger Games, just like the woman with purple hair that sacrifices herself.

I hated how Luke was handled in general. It just isn't his character, and I wasn't convinced with what happened. I agree with Mark Hamill when he said he disagreed with fundamentally everything Ryan Johnson wrote about his character. His death was lame and I feel like they could have done so much more with him before killing him. Now that Leia won't be returning, he was the last character I cared about and now we've gained nothing from killing him off. Speaking of Leia, they didn't end very concrete with her and apparently she just won't be in episode 9. So that's kind of a huge loose end.

Also yeah, paper in Star Wars is dumb. Lucas made a point to never have it, and it should have stayed that way. It's not part of how the universe is. One nitpick I have is that there also seemed to be a lack of aliens in general in this movie. The iconic aliens are what helps Star Wars feel like Star Wars, but there weren't any in TFA and there weren't any here.

So yeah, I think this film was awful. I hate the fact that the guy who directed this is going to be getting his own trilogy with a brand new story. If this was anything to go by it won't feel like Star Wars, wont' involve character progression, and will be filled with cheap jokes that aren't funny.
  • Nolan1654 wrote: »
    SPOILERS

Am I the only one that found the movie kinda underwhelming? I mean nothing cool or meaningful really happened. snoke can move people with the force and make them see each other through the force. Yet Kylo could block his feelings and use the force to cut him in half? No light saber fights what's so ever. At the end Luke's death was pretty anti climatic also.

I kinda agree. I liked the film a bit, but it was pretty bad in retrospect.

• Yeah I didnt like I have to say I agree with mark when he said he fundamentally disagreed with everything they did with lukes character I actually dont know why all the critics love it I just spent two minutes looking at the user reviews on imbd and struggled to find something over a five.
  • The first half of the film was the absolute worst! Filled with cheesy, try-hard jokes that just ruin all the characters and story. Leias force moment was unfortunately laughable and lukes moment where he throughs the lights saber behind him is so ridiculous. He could have just dropped it or thrown it to the side.

However, the second half of the film is definatley one of the greatest in star wars history! Kylo ren and snoke are played so well! Love the way luke goes. The way that snoke unexpectedly goes aswell! That was so justly resfreshing. Would have been crap if he turned out to be an emporer rehash.
  • Random123 wrote: »
    Yeah I didnt like I have to say I agree with mark when he said he fundamentally disagreed with everything they did with lukes character I actually dont know why all the critics love it I just spent two minutes looking at the user reviews on imbd and struggled to find something over a five.

Yeah. I really hate how they made Luke even think for a moment that he should kill Ben. And it isn't even really a "fleeting thought", since he pulls out his Lightsaber for God's sake. Also, he just throws away his father's Lightsaber? I get that if he went on this whole thing of "I failed, it's my fault, etc etc" and rejected the Jedi, but wouldn't you think he would care a bit? I guess he can talk to his pops whenever, but, wouldn't he like to remienice for a minute? And, I can't say this enough, the WAY HE DIED!?!? Seriously? Over exertion with an astral projection? Maybe if he was a bit out of shape and barely used the Force it would be straining, but it shouldn't have been nearly enough to kill him. But he's THE Luke Skywalker, who probably could have performed the feat of taking on the whole Force of the First Order that was attempting to snuff out the remaining Resistance Fighters. He basically just goes "eh, Imma just die lol" just to possibly teach Rey (who at this point obviously doesn't need teaching, as she'll just Deus Ex Machina her way to be more powerful than Palpatine times Luke to the power of Yoda with no outside effort because she can "handle herself") and to then become the biggest troll to Ben (true to Mark if he were to die, because he is just a God of the troll). Also, Snoke means nothing basically, Leia will have nigh no appearance in Episode 9 due to the unfortunate and sad death of Carrie Fisher, leaving us with an underdeveloped cast; Rey "can handle herself" with the resolution that her parents were nobodies who just left her; Finn who just killed Phasma (supposedly) and is in a weird situation between (I guess) being romantically interested in Rey or Rose, it seems that his severe spinal injury at the end of TFA means squat, but we do see how he does care considerably for his allies; Poe... actually, I thought that he had a decent part for his time in the film, as he is shown to have the heart of a true Resistance Fighter, who would take charge in order to save his comrades and beat the First Order; Rose is very new, but I like how she didn't just want to be stuck in the base and can fight the good fight with other soldiers (like her sister), and she did have some good development in the film; Kylo just killed his master Snoke like it was no big deal, even though earlier we see Snoke put him in his place like it was no big deal, and he still comes off a bit as whiny and arrogant (even worse than Anakin), but at least it turns out that Rey and he have the hots for each other to make the story a bit complicated, as well as he wasn't able to kill his mom and is still conflicted; and... that code-breaker guy was, well, underwhelming.

Well, these are my negatives. I like the movie a bit, and want to like it more, but there are just too many things that they did wrong IMO

• I have to point out 2 main problems with the movie. First, there wasn't any progression in it and second, the main characters had like zero impact on the story except maybe Kylo and Luke.
    And what happened to Nien?
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • Kyle2295 wrote: »
    The first half of the film was the absolute worst! Filled with cheesy, try-hard jokes that just ruin all the characters and story. Leias force moment was unfortunately laughable and lukes moment where he throughs the lights saber behind him is so ridiculous. He could have just dropped it or thrown it to the side.

However, the second half of the film is definatley one of the greatest in star wars history! Kylo ren and snoke are played so well! Love the way luke goes. The way that snoke unexpectedly goes aswell! That was so justly resfreshing. Would have been **** if he turned out to be an emporer rehash.

Glad you liked the second half. Personally, one of my favorite parts was when Holdo decides to just annihilate Snoke's Dreadnaught and fleet by ramming them head on with the hyperdrive. That and Luke's whole act at the end, before he dies. That was some epic bamboozling.

• Whodunnit wrote: »
    I have to point out 2 main problems with the movie. First, there wasn't any progression in it and second, the main characters had like zero impact on the story except maybe Kylo and Luke.

Yeah this felt like a set up for the next movie.
  • I absolutely loved it, felt like Star Wars to me. But I think Luke and Rey's relationship needed way more fleshing out, hopefully in Episode IX.
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • Whodunnit wrote: »
    I have to point out 2 main problems with the movie. First, there wasn't any progression in it and second, the main characters had like zero impact on the story except maybe Kylo and Luke.

Oh yeah, he just sat there during the debriefing when Holdo took charge. There was some character progression, but it was very minimal. To be honest, I feel like they could have done much better, scrap some scenes and the little side plots to focus on the bigger parts. There was just too much going on at once, and it really took alot out of the 2 and a half hour movie. We had Rey, Luke, Kylo, Poe, Finn, and Leia as people who the film tried to focus on and give them spotlight, but it should have condensed some of the things. For one, the whole set up for Finn and Rose trying to stealthily take out the hyperspace tracker was a bit too long, and we really didn't need Del Torro's character as much. Phasma, yet again, was thrown put like Anakin's Lightsaber, and had little significance to the plot over all. Chewbacca is reduced to merely a pseudo-cameo character, and R2-D2 and C3-P0 were even weaker. Rey has, yet again, no real build up or training to get her powers, making her character that more weaker. I don't even want to continue. It feels like Battlefront II's campaign with Iden; the timing was just off (granted, TLJ is far better than the campaign). To be honest, TFA had just so much more going for it, even if it did rehash a lot of old stuff. It set up for a really good sequal, but I feel that Johnson dropped the ball pretty hard here. Some of the comedy was forced (porgs really hurt the film to me, mainly during the scene where the Flacon was being chased by TIEs). Some of it feels like they should have been placed in comics, novels, or TV shows, as they need to have a more time to elaborate the individual conflicts. It's just like what you said, that there is a real lack in character progression in a lot of them, and some was kinda shoehorned in.

• I absolutely loved it, felt like Star Wars to me. But I think Luke and Rey's relationship needed way more fleshing out, hopefully in Episode IX.

So true. Luke really didn't teach Rey anything, but they make it seem like she studied the Force and saber combat for a long time. I think it may be too late to really establish a teacher/student relationship, unless he teaches her the history of the Force, the different sides, etc.

• Thank goodness for that, I thought it was just me that found it underwhelming.
    Luke must take after his mum, loosing the will to live and all!
    I enjoyed it as a whole but found it to be disjointed and un Star Wars in places. The battle sequences were great though.
  • DaxStorm wrote: »
    Thank goodness for that, I thought it was just me that found it underwhelming.
    Luke must take after his mum, loosing the will to live and all!
    I enjoyed it as a whole but found it to be disjointed and un Star Wars in places. The battle sequences were great though.

I didn't even think of that lmao. So true.

• That scene of the Raddus slamming into the Supremacy was so good, the silence was easily the best part of the scene.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • That scene of the Raddus slamming into the Supremacy was so good, the silence was easily the best part of the scene.

That was probably the of the most beautiful destruction scenes in all of Star Wars. That part was truly amazing. The nigh still visuals, the silence that let it all sink in, the stakes and built up to it, just perfect.

• It seems that I am an oddity for this thread, but I have very minimal disagreements with the movie. It was absolutely amazing. After reading everyone’s comments, I think to myself that unmet expectations were the reason everyone didn’t like it. But really, it’s for that reason we should all love it. There is no correlation between any other movie. Kylo is a very nice villain (I really didn’t want another Vader or for that matter Snoke I really didnt need another emperor. Also with Snoke he is from outside the galaxy, so we can prescribe what he can or can’t do, his powers can be unique just as his motivations). Kylo finally did what other apprentices never could in the previous movies. He becomes the Supreme leader, he does what Palpitine mentions only. Kylo has such better character development than Anakin.

Everyone’s dislike of Rey: So I am a little hurt they didn’t make Luke being the most powerful Jedi ever through all of the canon, but then I understand that this is still feasible. Who am I to define what is or isn’t a Jedi. Luke even tries to teach us what the force is and it isn’t just lifting rocks or controlling people. It’s an energy. It’s a force. And he seems to have unlocked more of its secrets. Rey may be “untrained,” but to be honest it always annoyed me that Luke can get a hit on Vader by just running around in trees and standing on his head. I love Luke, and still think he is the strongest ever, but I can accept that there is another strong individual who can take over the role of Jedi.

As for the rest of character development, it did seem rushed a little and kinda skewed at the first, which is my only main beef. The fight scenes (anyone who says Crait is like Hoth obviously doesn’t the glaring differences), the lightsaber battles, the reasons for Yoda being there, the destruction scenes, really makes the movie over the top.

All in all, if we Force this movie to behave like the OT, we will lose the opportunity to enjoy a new spectacle.

But maybe I am just too much of a ***** and like things too easily;) after all I readily admit that the PT is way fun movies.
  • QuiGonRing wrote: »
    It seems that I am an oddity for this thread, but I have very minimal disagreements with the movie. It was absolutely amazing. After reading everyone’s comments, I think to myself that unmet expectations were the reason everyone didn’t like it. But really, it’s for that reason we should all love it. There is no correlation between any other movie. Kylo is a very nice villain (I really didn’t want another Vader or for that matter Snoke I really didnt need another emperor. Also with Snoke he is from outside the galaxy, so we can prescribe what he can or can’t do, his powers can be unique just as his motivations). Kylo finally did what other apprentices never could in the previous movies. He becomes the Supreme leader, he does what Palpitine mentions only. Kylo has such better character development than Anakin.

Everyone’s dislike of Rey: So I am a little hurt they didn’t make Luke being the most powerful Jedi ever through all of the canon, but then I understand that this is still feasible. Who am I to define what is or isn’t a Jedi. Luke even tries to teach us what the force is and it isn’t just lifting rocks or controlling people. It’s an energy. It’s a force. And he seems to have unlocked more of its secrets. Rey may be “untrained,” but to be honest it always annoyed me that Luke can get a hit on Vader by just running around in trees and standing on his head. I love Luke, and still think he is the strongest ever, but I can accept that there is another strong individual who can take over the role of Jedi.

As for the rest of character development, it did seem rushed a little and kinda skewed at the first, which is my only main beef. The fight scenes (anyone who says Crait is like Hoth obviously doesn’t the glaring differences), the lightsaber battles, the reasons for Yoda being there, the destruction scenes, really makes the movie over the top.

All in all, if we Force this movie to behave like the OT, we will lose the opportunity to enjoy a new spectacle.

But maybe I am just too much of a ***** and like things too easily;) after all I readily admit that the PT is way fun movies.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I did too on my initial view. However, upon reflecting, I just think Johnson really messed up the Star Wars franchise.

Also, I like the Prequels :wink: . They aren't perfect, but they have some really good things.

• My main gripes are-

The setups from TFA are completely ignored. Rey parents, who is snoke.

Why was Leia not only the resistance leader but military leader? Admiral Akbar was instrumental in ROTJ for the rebellion , yet in TFA and this, he’s not in charge of the military side? Why does Leia demote him and not his direct commander?

And after the botched uncalled for failed military coup, both Leia and the why are you in it Laura Dern, both say we like him ??

Rey just seemed like the ultimate Jedi with no training.

Del Toro just turned up and what’s with the stutter.

And why when Rey and Kylo are fighting, were they not using the force? The royal guards shouldn’t have even get close.

Too long and too disjointed.

Agree with Mark Hamill and what he thought about the script.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I absolutely loved it, felt like Star Wars to me. But I think Luke and Rey's relationship needed way more fleshing out, hopefully in Episode IX.

Just watched the film and I agree. The relationship could of been more fleshed out. Personally, I loved this movie and can’t believe I’m saying that. There were a few disappointments but overall it was one of the more entertaining films I’ve ever watched. The huge plot twist with Kylo killing snoke was insane! I was actually glad to be honest, and was extremely shocked. I’m disappointed with no cool action scenes from luke and luke throwing the lightsaber away like a piece of garbage at the beginning and his attitude toward the Jedi and what they stood for seems very odd and unnecessary. I feel like this movie could of been way better if they wouldn’t of trashed luke like that. It wasn’t really necessary for the plot. Rey once again seemingly not having any struggle and instantly learning everything was a disappointment again. I was surprised we didn’t receive any kind of backstory to snoke or where he came from. I was also expecting luke to at least comment on snokes defeat as I’m sure he sensed it. Yoda’s appearance was neat and I wished anakin talked to luke at some point. But overall it was a good film and I would rank this movie far above the trash TFA. Wish it was RIAN directing 9 and not jj.
    Post edited by Cad_Bane on
  • Just got back from an imax screening & the whole theatre applauded at the end.
    I'm just not sure it was because it was a good film or they were happy it had finished.

Myself, I'm reserving full judgement until I see it again.
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »
    I absolutely loved it, felt like Star Wars to me. But I think Luke and Rey's relationship needed way more fleshing out, hopefully in Episode IX.

Just watched the film and I agree. The relationship could of been more fleshed out. Personally, I loved this movie and can’t believe I’m saying that. There were a few disappointments but overall it was one of the more entertaining films I’ve ever watched. The huge plot twist with Kylo killing snoke was insane! I was actually glad to be honest, and was extremely shocked. I’m disappointed with no cool action scenes from luke and luke throwing the lightsaber away like a piece of garbage at the beginning and his attitude toward the Jedi and what they stood for seems very odd and unnecessary. I feel like this movie could of been way better if they wouldn’t of trashed luke like that. It wasn’t really necessary for the plot. Rey once again seemingly not having any struggle and instantly learning everything was a disappointment again. I was surprised we didn’t receive any kind of backstory to snoke or where he came from. I was also expecting luke to at least comment on snokes defeat as I’m sure he sensed it. Yoda’s appearance was neat and I wished anakin talked to luke at some point. But overall it was a good film and I would rank this movie far above the trash TFA. Wish it was RIAN directing 9 and not jj.

Edit- There seems to be so much more hatred for this movie compared to TFA. I don’t understand that TBH since TFA was a predictable reboot with an overly predictable plot. While watching the TFA I could tell what was going to happen the whole movie and the ending was too predictable. This movie was full of unpredictable twists and surprises that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time along with great action. I definitely understand the complaints of the movie especially with luke and I definitely agree with them but compared to TFA this movie was great and restored some faith for me in the ST.

The thought of Luke dying before I watched TLJ seemed like a very terrible idea, but the way he actually went out was probably the best way he could go out.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
    Cad_Bane wrote: »

Edit- There seems to be so much more hatred for this movie compared to TFA. I don’t understand that TBH since TFA was a predictable reboot with an overly predictable plot. While watching the TFA I could tell what was going to happen the whole movie and the ending was too predictable. This movie was full of unpredictable twists and surprises that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time along with great action. I definitely understand the complaints of the movie especially with luke and I definitely agree with them but compared to TFA this movie was great and restored some faith for me in the ST.
    Yeah, it seems like people wanted this movie to be like ESB.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • The craziest, most fun, scariest, and sometimes the most frustrating thing about being a Star Wars fan is how diverse we are. Each of us are way to emotionally tied to the story and all of us want to have it our way. We like to theorize and argue our point. We like to give backstories to things that are so small yet so critical! (Rogue one, I am looking at you). Which is why this movie is the best way to satisfy us. We now have a whole new set of stories and ideas that all of us if we accept this movie as Star Wars we can work our magic and place it along the other stories we know and love. That to me is a Star Wars experience.

And Poe knows how to fly a X-wing!

Im not sure about hatred. I’m seeing a lot of okays and a lot of mehs, but not many hatred.

TFA was a straight out and out reboot, but at least it had some heart. TLJ, just seemed like a big blockbuster movie with little to no heart in it with plenty of throw away characters (Finn and Del Toro), unnecessary action scenes ( the whole hunt for the slicer), evil guys that were just there for comedy( General Hux), a training with a master Jedi that involved just breathing it seems, and an overpowed purple star carded Rey, who saved the day in the final scenes thank you everyone, bows and leaves stage to the right.

I had little faith going into it, and came out neither surprised nor angry, just it’s an okay movie.

Didn’t hate it like I do the prequels, but it’s nothing to write home about.

The thought of Luke dying before I watched TLJ seemed like a very terrible idea, but the way he actually went out was probably the best way he could go out.

Yeah I it was the proper way for him to go. I just think that him being so grumpy and thinking the Jedi should be no more was way too unnecessary. If they would’ve written him as someone who’ trying to find answers and searching for reasons of why he failed training Ben Solo then I think it would’ve set better with the audience.

Really? The vibe I’ve been getting for ages is that TFA was too much like ANH, and they didn’t want this to be just another ESB reboot.
  • What do you guys think of Kylo killing snoke? Personally I was glad and it was completely unexpected. I’m not sure why none of his backstory was explained though? Surely they’re not going to try and pull a maul and have him survive the attack!? I mean he clearly was chopped in half. Also, after Kylo woke up from the explosion, was there a shot of snoke’s head? Did someone at some point chop his head off after Kylo sliced him in half? Or did I see that incorrectly? If so, that was clearly done to show he’s not coming back.

What do you guys think of that boy at the end of the movie? He clearly forced grabbed the broom, who is he and why is he important!?
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017

Really? The vibe I’ve been getting for ages is that TFA was too much like ANH, and they didn’t want this to be just another ESB reboot.

He’s trying to say that this movie was definitely different than ESB but people are still complaining.
    Personally I’m not sure why anyone that more than just a casual fan could think TFA is a better movie than this.
    Don’t get me wrong, I have some major issues with this film as well but compared to TFA this was an improvement.
  • Dantooine
    195 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I went to see it with a mate and we were both a bit confused as to what to make of it. There is some great stuff in there. The Snoke, Kylo and Rey scene was really good, the light speed into the First Order ship was good...But here goes for the bad off the top of my head.

Floating superman Leia - dreadfully handled. Would've been ok if shot entirely differently.

Canto Bight or whatever it's called. That whole subplot was garbage and didn't make any difference to the outcome for the Resistance.

Luke dying. Why? Again, poorly handled.

Luke's general character. He's a coward. The only relation to the OT Luke was that it was played by Mark Hamill. If he disagreed with this version of Luke I can understand why.

The slow mo chase through space. Why didn't the First Order just hyper jump in front of them? It was a bit like Battlestar Galactica.

Why didn't Laura Dern's character tell Poe what the plan was - it could've saved the Canto Bight crap.

Ackbar dying off screen. Here's a thought, why not have Ackbar instead of Laura Dern's character. He could've done everything she did and had an amazing send off.

Finn attempting to sacrifice himself... and then being saved? Why, let him die. Rose saving him and giving him a kiss next to a giant gun was awful.

Urgh... The a Disney kids. Dreadful, just dreadful.

These are the points that stick out for me. I don't mind about Reys parents. I'm glad she's a "nobody". I liked the humour and all of the First Order scenes. Could've done with more Chewie. Liked the Porgs, the Falcon scenes, R2's Leia projection. Carrie Fisher was really good after a bit of a wobbly TFA. It was all well acted, Rose was likeable even though everything she actually did was rubbish.

It's the first Star Wars film to say "be nice to animals". We should.

What do you guys think of Kylo killing snoke? Personally I was glad and it was completely unexpected. I’m not sure why none of his backstory was explained though? Surely they’re not going to try and pull a maul and have him survive the attack!? I mean he clearly was chopped in half. Also, after Kylo woke up from the explosion, was there a shot of snoke’s head? Did someone at some point chop his head off after Kylo sliced him in half? Or did I see that incorrectly? If so, that was clearly done to show he’s not coming back.

What do you guys think of that boy at the end of the movie? He clearly forced grabbed the broom, who is he and why is he important!?
    I think it was truly a great moment, seeing an apprentice finally overthrowing the master, but stay the big bad is something we've never seen before in a SW movie.

I think the ending symbolizes that the Resistance is spreading hope throughout the galaxy and a new generation of Jedi will rise again. It wasn't an ending I expected, but was an ending I truly loved.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    What do you guys think of Kylo killing snoke? Personally I was glad and it was completely unexpected. I’m not sure why none of his backstory was explained though? Surely they’re not going to try and pull a maul and have him survive the attack!? I mean he clearly was chopped in half. Also, after Kylo woke up from the explosion, was there a shot of snoke’s head? Did someone at some point chop his head off after Kylo sliced him in half? Or did I see that incorrectly? If so, that was clearly done to show he’s not coming back.

I think it was truly a great moment, seeing an apprentice finally overthrowing the master, but stay the big bad is something we've never seen before in a SW movie.

I think the ending symbolizes that the Resistance is spreading hope throughout the galaxy and a new generation of Jedi will rise again. It wasn't an ending I expected, but was an ending I truly loved.

So you think snoke is definitely gone and not coming back?

And the boy seemed to of forced grab the broom. It makes me think he has some sort of meaningful purpose to the story other than just a nobody?

And the boy seemed to of forced grab the broom. It makes me think he has some sort of meaningful purpose to the story other than just a nobody?
    Oh defintely, Snoke is dead, having Kylo as the big bad of the trilogy was definitely one of the movie's main points.

I see it as a sign that the new generation of Jedi are about to rise.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif

Oh defintely, Snoke is dead, having Kylo as the big bad of the trilogy was definitely one of the movie's main points.

Personally I was glad to see snoke go so there isn’t this sense of similarity to Palpatine having a big bad in the background controlling his apprentice. I loved how arrogant snoke was to Kylo and completely underestimated him. It seems like all this buildup to snoke was just a ploy to build up the plot twist. I was a fan of Kylo before but now he’s one of my favorite characters.

I just don’t understand the purpose of not mentioning anything to the backstory to snoke, it wouldn’t make any sense to mention it in 9 since he’s irrelevant now. It just makes me wonder why?

Personally I was glad to see snoke go so there isn’t this sense of similarity to Palpatine having a big bad in the background controlling his apprentice. I loved how arrogant snoke was to Kylo and completely underestimated him. It seems like all this buildup to snoke was just a ploy to build up the plot twist. I was a fan of Kylo before but now he’s one of my favorite characters.

I just don’t understand the purpose of not mentioning anything to the backstory to snoke, it wouldn’t make any sense to mention it in 9 since he’s irrelevant now. It just makes me wonder why?
    I don't think they wanted to give any backstory on Snoke because it wouldn't serve a purpose to the actual plot.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017

I don't think they wanted to give any backstory on Snoke because it wouldn't serve a purpose to the actual plot.

Yeah I guess so, but I wonder where they are going to explain his backstory. A book? TV show? Spin off film? :( people are obviously going to want to know. Also did anyone else notice how different snoke looks in TLJ compared to TFA? He must of been regenerating or healing himself

He obviously was pretty powerful, but was defeated so easily that it makes me think he’s not near the level of power as The Senate.

Yeah I guess so, but I wonder where they are going to explain his backstory. A book? TV show? Spin off film :(
    Most likely a book, save a spin-off film for General Grievous. :)
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • @Cad_Bane So where would you rank TLJ on your list of your favorite SW movies?
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    @Cad_Bane So where would you rank TLJ on your list of your favorite SW movies?

Hmmm tough to say but here’s my list-
    (TLJ ranking is subject to change LOL)

1. ROTS (obviously)
    2. ANH
    3. ESB
    4. ROTJ
    5. AOTC or TLJ
    6. TPM
    7. TFA

What about you?

1. ROTS (obviously)
    2. ANH
    3. ESB
    4. ROTJ
    5. AOTC or TLJ
    6. TPM
    7. TFA

What about you?
    1. RotS
    2. ESB
    3. RotJ
    4. TLJ/ANH
    5. RO
    6. AotC (Introduction of the Clones :))
    7. TFA
    8. TPM (I still loved it)
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif

1. ROTS (obviously)
    2. ANH
    3. ESB
    4. ROTJ
    5. AOTC or TLJ
    6. TPM
    7. TFA

What about you?
    1. RotS
    2. ESB
    3. RotJ
    4. TLJ/ANH
    5. RO
    6. AotC (Introduction of the Clones :))
    7. TFA
    8. TPM (I still loved it)

Rogue one, I forgot that one on my list. I would put rogue one at 6 and knock down TPM and TFA to 7 and 8
  • I loved how angry general hux was about having to call Kylo surpreme leader and take orders from Kylo :D
    I wasn’t a fan of hux in TFA, but this film made me actually like his character a little bit
  • It’s just really unnecessary and odd that Luke considered killing Ben Solo. Doesn’t make any sense.
  • WarfareKiller41
    7026 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    It’s just really unnecessary and odd that Luke considered killing Ben Solo. Doesn’t make any sense.
    I found it odd too, but I want to hear what Rian thinks about this.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • BattleHaynes
    180 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    It made total sense to me, it's that old philosophical question, if you could go back in time and kill the Führer when he is just a baby, would you? And that is the dilemma Luke faces. He knows what Kylo will become, there is no doubt in his mind. And he was proved correct.