criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Starfighter Assault is dead

this space mode is dead more or less
the attackers wins only if the teams are super uneven, or do it with friends maybe (hard to get anyway)

i did 15 matches in a row, and 15x attackers lost, 10x in 1st phase, 3x in 2nd phase, 2x last phase
only one match was very close 3 % left or so, was the new map

Replies

• It's not. The attacking team can win easily if they have a good enough team.
    PSN: DynamitePro26
  • When they have a whole two maps in the rotation it gets boring.
  • i played all maps today, so i think they changed the map rotation back to the old one

maybe i played to a wrong time, gonna repeat it in few hours, to see what will happen :)
  • Nice troll title bruh.
  • I agree with OP in the point that Starfighter assault maps are extremely unballanced.

Especially Kamino and Endor

To be honest, I play the game since early access and Starfighter assault is my 2nd most played game mode. And I saw maybe once that the droids won on Kamino or that the Imperials won on Endor.
    Most games are over in the 1st section.

But it's not an attackers vs deffenders point.

The main point is that the team looses every time which has tokens to spend. And the deffenders kill every time enough fighters to win before the objective could be destroyed or defended.

Why? Because if you are on the side where your team has a max ammount of tokens, you have to: Play the objective + kill enemy figters to defend your team mates + staqy alive
    On the other hand the enemy team has only to kill the enemy players and they get AI assistance in the form of bombers or fighters.
    Looks pretty uneven to me.
  • I find Ryloth and Fondor balanced, but the other are really hard for the attackers indeed
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • Seems like you have no luck with your teammates.

I cant see any significant differences between defending and attacking. I play Starfighter alot and it is quite balanced despite the fact that the Imperial Interceptors are weaker than their Republic counterparts.
  • well i thought attackers are always the ones with tickets?, atleast that what i meant as attackers
    the team with tickets, lost always my games
  • Are you kidding? The sa mode is the best one in the game! Way better than bf2015 flying modes.
  • lok
    973 posts Member
    I played tonight on PC,full games.
    Yes there are better players than me out there but hey,there always will be.
    Pewpew
  • Not enough people play bombers.

• Clowater wrote: »
    Not enough people play bombers.

Im a bomber lover :D
  • Zdenka
    213 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Nice troll title bruh.

you are right, its a stu pid title, not that what i wanted to say
    Clowater wrote: »

why ?, bombers are better for 'destroying' objectives ?
  • Hanzo
    1677 posts Member
    Bomber pilot checking in.

I need the HP they have for playing objectives.
  • I think Dice could solve this issue by giving a longer respawn time to defenders. That would allow attackers to gain time, so they could focus on the objectives more easily.
    Zdenka wrote: »
    Nice troll title bruh.

Yeah, bombers have more health, double Ion Torpedoes (fighters have only one), less overheating and defensive abilities.
  • click bait title argh...
  • over 100 hours invested.

Still unable to win Kamino or Endor as Attacker.

DICE, buff the attackers, it's very boring playing as them, cause you know you're going to lose, no matter how much i damage the objective, the rest of my team doesn't do a thing, and even if they do, we still losing, because not enough troops
  • mariogsh wrote: »
    over 100 hours invested.

DICE, buff the attackers, it's very boring playing as them, cause you know you're going to lose, no matter how much i damage the objective, the rest of my team doesn't do a thing, and even if they do, we still losing, because not enough troops

I have won both map a lot of time ! Maybe you juste have bad teams ??
  • ok few hours later, i did 17 more matches

4x the ticket team did win the match (2x i did lose 2x i did win)
    3x it went into 3rd phase
    8x into 2nd phase
    2x at the 1st phase it was over

i won even the new map as attacker (ticket team), that was nice :)
    zLogen wrote: »
    click bait title argh...
    hmm yes sorry

• Zdenka wrote: »
    Nice troll title bruh.

you are right, its a stu pid title, not that what i wanted to say

This dude hasn't understood how Bombers works.
  • My favorite mode and almost all my investment is there. I've bought only starfighter crates and played every map multiple times. And I've won as the attacker on every map. I've seen the attackers held to the first phase maybe 3x since release. It honestly depends on the team. Endor is harder for Imperials but I still see them win. SA for me has been perfect and it's all I play so I feel like I would've noticed by now if something was massively off.
  • It's clearly harder to win as an attacker, in all maps. Some are less hard, but it still looks unbalanced overall. Defending requires less coordination, as "just kill others" is often a suitable strategy. As attackers, teams need to focus much more on the objective, which not always happens. In maps like Endor, attacking teams need both superior coordination and skill. And I have the impression D'Qar is that hard too.

Of course a good enough team can win. But if that's sufficient to call something balanced, then everything that's not impossible to achieve is balanced by definition, which is not true.

Anyway, they have enough data to see which changes Starfighter Assault needs. To be honest, the mode is so good that I don't even bother with those issues too much. I often have fun regardless. But obviously it would be even better if they managed to balance it properly.
  • Defence is easier to win but have won as attacker on every map so it's down to players - get three/four good people who play objective the attackers win happens - A lot at the moment is still people completing various challenges ( I think it will always be this way as this series drives this behaviour )
  • Zdenka wrote: »
    well i thought attackers are always the ones with tickets?, atleast that what i meant as attackers
    the team with tickets, lost always my games

Nope. On Endor, the deffenders have the tickets. But right, the team which have tickets looses aalways on Kamino and Endor.
    mariogsh wrote: »
    over 100 hours invested.

Exactly

I have won both map a lot of time ! Maybe you juste have bad teams ??

If you have ALWAYS a bad team, that means you can skipp the statistical analysis, and start thinking about the chance that the map is unballanced. :)
    If the roof of your house gets wet every time during a rain, I'm sure you are not starting to think that maybe your roof isn't water resistant, but the rain is probably generally wet.
  • Lol I only play the bomber
  • I've won on all maps as attacker multiple times except for D'Qar (understandable, because it's new and unknown) and Endor (because the sheer amount of tanky objectives makes it nearly impossible except for basically a perfectly coordinated team of bombers). It's not hard to balance fighter kills and the objectives. even as a bomber
  • KrewZi
    206 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I find it boring playing as attacker when the only way to win the stage is by going straight in to attack the objective due to lack of time. If they allowed more time so we can get some kills in as well then i'd enjoy it.

But just attacking objective , dying, attempt to attack objective but die before hand, attack objective die, rise and repeat is just tedious.

Don't get me wrong, i love this mode, but some attacking maps is ....... zzzzzz
  • I think it is balanced quite well. I have won and lost on both sides of every map. Alot has to do with your team. I have watched teams lose because some players select hero ships, then don't help with the objectives. They just fly around and pad their kill count. Today I had 2 hero ships chase me for over 10 min, instead of using that power to help with the objectives. They lost 2 games due to that.

This mode had the same problems that GA has. You can win if you don't work as a team. Some players are more worried about their kill count over playing as a team and winning.
  • They need to add in a team deathmatch mode for Starfighter Assault, or make it like the classics where it's point based and there's 2 capital ships in close range and multiple corvettes for both sides. Just make it a battle for survival and not a battle for objectives.
  • MovieFan555
    118 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    KrewZi wrote: »
    I find it boring playing as attacker when the only way to win the stage is by going straight in to attack the objective due to lack of time. If they allowed more time so we can get some kills in as well then i'd enjoy it.

But just attacking objective , dying, attempt to attack objective but die before hand, attack objective die, rise and repeat is just tedious.

Don't get me wrong, i love this mode, but some attacking maps is ....... zzzzzz

Well, but defense is mostly just shoot-shoot-shoot. Wouldn't that get boring too if it were both sides? Or would you prefer that neither side is purely offense or purely defense, but with a mix of both?

I never played Battlefront 1, but the "race" style that @Darth_Cerebus mentioned sounds fun.
  • Bomber pilot here as well. Although its harder for attackers to win in most cases I dont find it that difficult unless I end up on a team **** that dont understand the objectives.
  • The problems with Starfighter Assault (Possibly GA too but I hardly play it) and in no particular order:

1. The teams don't seem to rotate between maps. I see the same people, on the same teams, after a map rotation. The team that owned the previous map is still together.

2. Auto balance.......where is it? Map changes, people leave, and we are left with 3 vs 10 for the entire map. Hilarity ensues.

3. Unshakable A.I. ships with one hit kills? Is this really a thing?

4. Playing the object still doesn't help with score compared to just fighting ship to ship.

5. Spawn killing. Enemy starships can get behind the other teams spawn point and just pick people off as they come in. Especially on the Endor map. If a hero ships gets back there, the game is pretty much over.

• with today's challenge and weekly challenge, many more players will see how terrible broken that mode is :)
    well atleast in some maps
  • If you want to know Why attackers don't play the objective: Take a good look at the Hero ship challenges and the achievements.

Get 25 kills with a special ability.
    Now given most people get hero ships much later on giving you a short time to complete a few kills, the answer to your question lies in those challenges.

I could not care less if my team wins.
    I want to progress (ever so slightly) on those ability kill challenges.
    Since they sum up to about 300 kills as a hero ship, it will be about 1-3 months or more nobody will even care about the objective.

Too busy completing challenges that contradict the objective.
  • Fishu
    111 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Kamino is tough because the defender spawn very close to the objective. So you kill a defender and boom they're already buzzing around the objective defending it. That also why they get a tons of more kills. They don't have a very long fly back.

That the reason the attackers have a tougher time and a lot less kill overall. You die and you have to fly back there.. As a defender you die and boom you're back there already instant gibbing attackers trying to attack the objective.
  • Clone201
    3697 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Fishu wrote: »
    Kamino is tough because the defender spawn very close to the objective. So you kill a defender and boom they're already buzzing around the objective defending it. That also why they get a tons of more kills. They don't have a very long fly back.

That the reason the attackers have a tougher time and a lot less kill overall. You die and you have to fly back there.. As a defender you die and boom you're back there already instant gibbing attackers trying to attack the objective.

This isn't a problem if you can avoid being pursed, hope the defenders will go for A.I. ships for grief, and attack the objectives relentlessly with a few other teammates.

I had still won games as an attacker despite the defenders having much more eliminations, since you don't have to get past the whole enemy team to contribute to their objective which in my opinion adds a greater skill gap for defense (unlike so in Galactic Assault & Strike).
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • I wouldn’t know. Tried it once or twice, that’s about it... playing as the bomber was simple and my kind of style, can’t fly worth a drunk sleepy nerf though, the spinning, I hate the spinning. Spinning trying to go straight spinning to try and go forward.

Blast I hate flying, can’t do dogfights like a rancor can’t do dancing and neither of those would be a pretty sight... funny maybe
  • Playing the objective over farming kills is still very unrewarding.

Play objective - low points and credits

Farming kills and utterly ignoring the objective = 50 kills and LOTS of points/credits.

They need to give lots more points for PTO.
  • I dont think its dead, I much prefer SFA over GA, at least you don't get farmed by Jedi/Hero every minute or one shot killed by sniper rifles. hope SFA stays for a while.
  • yes it not dead, wrong title ...

but as REKT_Prophet said, playing the objectives needs more rewards as killing the enemies
    and some balance in 2-3 maps
  • My point count increases faster killing starfighters than damaging the objective. Plus, I've still got a lot of hero kills to go.
  • My point count increases faster killing starfighters than damaging the objective. Plus, I've still got a lot of hero kills to go.

Exactly. Achievements and Career rewards will keep me from probably ever playing the objective.

Smart Career challenges would have been:
    Get 20.000 Objective Score as Kylo Ren.

But we have: Get 25 missile kills as Kylo Ren.
    Repeat for 9 more heroes + the bomber class.

I will simply put *never ever* play the objective until I got those to 100% and after that I probably will not like SA at all anymore after such grind.

It's very simple.