criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

My Review Of The Last Jedi (Very Spoiler Heavy)

Prev134
OOM19
2833 posts Member
If I could sum up The Last Jedi with one word that word would be: Disappointment.

It's a movie that somehow spectacularly fails at advancing anything in the Universe, nor does it introduce anything new do we learn more about the New Republic? Nope they are confirmed to have been completely destroyed in every way, More info about the First Order? Nope they just suddenly have enough arms and a strong enough economy to construct a Planet Sized Death Weapon and a big enough Fleet and Army to take over the whole GALAXY

Do we learn more about Snoke? Nope, He's just killed off after 5 minutes in such a stupid way that people are having to use their imagination and saying it was all a illusion

And on top of all that it blows away decades of Material from the Old EU and the Original Trilogy and EVEN the Prequel Trilogy away, by turning main Characters into shells of their former selves, Completely ignoring and negating Character traits that have been embodied in them since they first appeared. and in fact regresses the entire Galaxy making the whole conflict of the first two Trilogies pointless by resetting the Clock all the way back to the end of Revenge Of The Sith in terms of the state of the Galaxy

So I'll be breaking this down into several parts
Humor And Tone:

To say this movie had subtlety would implode the Dictionary term for it

This movie had a unbelievably inconsistent tone. it'll go from "Dark" with the whole Resistance Fleet being shot down in front of our main characters eyes to a cute Cartoon character with unedited Cartoon faces going "Bwaraghhhh" to BB-8's Slap-Stick Routines controlling the AT-STs with a Joy-Stick or having to plug up a electric panel with a million fingers

The Original and Prequel Trilogies all had Humor. it's what Star Wars has been known for and it's helped make Star Wars so enjoyable and fun, but generally speaking the humor was mostly straight forward the closest it got to defecating on it's characters was Chewie not liking the Garbage smell or being afraid of the Garbage Monster in ANH or Han Solo chasing after that one Storm-Trooper only to run into a room filled with them also in ANH

And that's funny and fits in with their Prior personalities

General Hux and every other Officer allowing this one X-Wing Pilot to stall them with a bloody obvious "Can't Hear You" Prank, is not only beyond believable but it makes the entirety of the First Order look like Chumps and immediately takes you out of the movie

Characters:

Villains:

General Hux. To Say General Hux was wasted and made into a buffoon is a Under-Statement

So not only does he fall for the Prank Call, but he doesn't deploy TIE-Fighters to fend off the X-Wing until it's too late resulting in the destruction of their New Dreadnought. now normally in any real world situation Hux would be immediately relieved of all command and thrown into the Brig until a Trial is met. but nope Snoke keeps him around because "Cronies are easily manipulated" so right out of Snoke's Mouth, we learn that Hux is practically useless as a tactician and is only kept around so he can be manipulated...why being able to easily manipulate someone would make up for the fact that the General in question is useless and causes massive losses in every battle is beyond me so basically one of the main Faces of the First Order 1 of 4 principal Villains is useless

Phasma:

Oh

Why was this character even brought back? For the trailers and posters? I mean come on the character is useless the only thing the character has done in both films has been standing in one spot or slowly walking and hoping the Armor looks cool

The character does nothing noteworthy or interesting in any of the films and tends to disappear for half the film at a time only reappearing to act as a Plot Vehicle at a later junction I.E Disabling Star-Killer's Shields

She isn't even the one who becomes alerted to Finn and starts the trap the only reason they were detected was because of the Evil BB-8 Droid....

The whole reason for her to suddenly want a Melee Fight with Finn is such a leap in logic that I can't even think of a reason Why anyone would even do that

Meanwhile we are supposed to like the character and find her Interesting enough to want to buy the Phasma Novels and Comic Books or play as her in Battle-Front 2

At least we know why all of that was released months in advance

Kylo Ren:

Ugh

Snoke:

Are you serious?

Was this a joke? so first off Zero explanation for why he exists, his interactions with the First Order or how he even functions inside of it

The only excuse they have given is that "Uhh we didn't know who Palpatine was" basically defending a terrible story-telling decision by citing a similar terrible (Debatable) story-telling decision

Which at it's time could be defended by the Universe not being established fully, the details given in all three being more then enough to explain the gist of him and how he worked inside the Empire

But now the Universe is established, there have been 2 Trilogies and decades of Legends and Canon Material

But do they care if bringing in this character with no explanation and flies right in the face of everything we know about the Lore and it's Rules? Nope, because why? because Rian Johnson wants you to watch the all new three films in his totally going to be good "New Trilogy" just so you can finally learn the answer to a question in 2030 that you should have learned in 2017

Because yeah waiting decades is fun

And I'm not even going to get started on how weak his Death was. if it was intended to be a parody of prior Villain Deaths it was done very, very poorly

Heroes:

Luke Skywalker:

To say they didn't watch any of the prior films is a understatement they decided to go the way of the pessimistic DevientArt/Fan-Fiction writer and completely remove all of Luke's Core Traits and Personality, he's had since he appeared in 1977 because "Art and Twist"

So Instead of Luke leading a new and better Jedi Order something that had been built up since the Prequel Trilogy his Jedi Order lasted 10 years at best because "It's a Twist!"

So literally nothing has progressed since the end of Revenge Of The Sith. Still only one Jedi, All Masters dead, No Order, Just One Jedi Knight in training

So basically rather then the Grand Master Luke who has been trained by Obi-Wan and Yoda two of the greatest Jedi to have ever lived and teaching Rey and a new generation of Jedi about the mysticism and workings of The Force and giving us new and exciting details for us to learn about a new Jedi Training scene for a new Generation of movie goers

He's just completely given up He Hates the Jedi, He hates himself, His Friends, Life and everything

Now instead of the Luke that saw and found the good in Vader the literal destroyer of worlds who was modeled on ***** himself. we have a Luke that instead of counseling and trying to reason with Kylo on the nature of the Dark Side tries sneaking into Kylo's Hut and kill not just his Student, but his Nephew the Son of Han Solo and Princess Leia his Friend and Sister in his Sleep like what Palpatine did to Plagueis!

This isn't artsy, intelligent or Shocking this is a complete 360 on a Character's Arc and Story a complete and total regression of a character from beyond where they first started off

This is like turning Aragon from The Lord Of The Rings into a vengeful Dictator who rules with a Iron Fist it does nothing but turn into mouth water food for Depressed People, Unnesccssarly pessimistic and hypocritical but also just plain stupid

Rey:

Gets smacked in the face with a Leaf, Yelled at by Luke, receives zero training and will now somehow be The Last Jedi in a Era where practically nothing remains of the Jedi with even the original Texts destroyed and no one to guide her

She received even less training then Luke did in Episode 4!

Admiral Holdo:

To say this character made no sense is a understatement, so basically she knows that the First Order will track them and leave them with no fuel or a way to escape if they make one more Hyper-Space jump

So basically rather then tell everyone they plan to inch their way to Crait dumping all their fuel into Transports at which they can escape undetected and easily wait out the First Order. she just proceeds to stand around like she has no Clue causing this whole ridiculous and unnecessary Canto Blight Plot Line when this whole stupid storyline could have just been avoided with one teeny tiny sentence

Nope

Plot-Holes:

This movie made no sense

Why does the Resistance only have enough fuel for a day? It's SPACE I could see Hyper-Space but are you serious? an Object that has been set in motion will STAY in motion unless effected by Gravity or Objects why they have to keep pressing the Turbo button in space on a Heavy Cruiser?!

And why do they only have enough fuel for two jumps? Fuel would be a top priority of ANY organization and it's never been shown to be hard to acquire or any of that so WHY in the world would the Resistance not have enough fuel lying around for their Main Flag-Ship to keep running for more then a day?

I just give up
OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
[url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
I live again
I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

Space and Asteroids ROMG4

Replies

• Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Read the whole post, I agree with most everything though I don’t think the movie was a total disaster. It had more than enough disappointments but compared to TFA it wasn’t the worst of the ST. The whole theme for the ST seems to be bigger and better and they purposely miss big opportunities with characters from the OT. This is obviously intentional as they constantly state they don’t want luke, Leia, Han or even lando to take away the spotlight from their precious new characters. It’s a joke. Meanwhile Rian states “there wasn’t any room for lando in the film” but you have room for an incredibly terrible, useless character like holdo that comes from nowhere that nobody is attached to or cares about? Please
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    Read the whole post, I agree with most everything though I don’t think the movie was a total disaster. It had more than enough disappointments but compared to TFA it wasn’t the worst of the ST.

I think BB-88 Controlling a First Order AT-ST better then any Storm-Trooper, The Resistance now the Rebel Alliance again, The First Order now the Empire again, and the Radus somehow slicing in half 8 Star-Destroyers along with the Super Star Destroyer like Pizza make this easily the worst
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

[url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again
    I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

• OOM19 wrote: »
    Read the whole post, I agree with most everything though I don’t think the movie was a total disaster. It had more than enough disappointments but compared to TFA it wasn’t the worst of the ST.

I think BB-88 Controlling a First Order AT-ST better then any Storm-Trooper, The Resistance now the Rebel Alliance again, The First Order now the Empire again, and the Radus somehow slicing in half 8 Star-Destroyers along with the Super Star Destroyer like Pizza make this easily the worst

I really enjoyed the snoke throne room scene and a couple of other scenes. In TFA I enjoyed maybe like 1 scene. That’s why I would rank TFA as the worst. The TFA was basically the reset button on the entire story that set up the events in TLJ to unfold.
  • There is no way to objectively look at this film, realize it exists in the same world as the prequels, and say it is the worst Star Wars film.

Jar. Jar. Binks. Fart. Joke.

Way too much hand-wringing and clutching of pearls over this film.

You’ve all watched the other Star Wars films, I assume... how do you not realize that the entire series is silly, contradictory, full of plot holes, and pretty juvenile?

If you’re upset about some of the stuff that happens in this film, I hope you’re equally as upset about stuff like the Alliance magically manufacturing a fleet of Mon Cal cruisers less than a year after the Empire “struck back”. Or how the Falcon travelled to another star system sans hyperdrive and Vader just couldn’t be bothered to just stop and board them along the way. Or the fact how the most advanced military was thwarted by a bunch of furry midgets with rocks. Or how the Emperor didn’t just lock down the shield projectors and station triple garrisons. Or about a billion other things are are kinda rubbish in the Star Wars series.
  • rocketpig wrote: »
    There is no way to objectively look at this film, realize it exists in the same world as the prequels, and say it is the worst Star Wars film.

Way too much hand-wringing and clutching of pearls over this film.

You’ve all watched the other Star Wars films, I assume... how do you not realize that the entire series is silly, contradictory, full of plot holes, and pretty juvenile?

If you’re upset about some of the stuff that happens in this film, I hope you’re equally as upset about stuff like the Alliance magically manufacturing a fleet of Mon Cal cruisers less than a year after the Empire “struck back”. Or how the Falcon travelled to another star system sans hyperdrive and Vader just couldn’t be bothered to just stop and board them along the way. Or the fact how the most advanced military was thwarted by a bunch of furry midgets with rocks. Or how the Emperor didn’t just lock down the shield projectors and station triple garrisons. Or about a billion other things are are kinda rubbish in the Star Wars series.

Spot on.
  • Too similar to the old movies. It's terrible. Too different from the old movies. It's terrible. Too neat and tidy and bright. It's terrible. To dark and complex and messy. It's terrible.

Jesus.....Fans are impossible to please. Unless you literally adapt exactly their own personal favorite fan fiction, a whole separate movie for each fan, there will be some number out there crying about how the movie was a betrayal and horrible.

I liked it, and I guarantee I'm just as much a life long uber nerdy fan as anyone.
  • bfloo
    15931 posts Member
    The humor was for Disney's target audience, which is made up of 6 year olds.

The FO was consistent through the 2 films, they have inept leadership that couldn't fight there way out of a paper bag.

Snoke was just a prop to move the plot along, why he was even following the fleet to destroy 3 resistance ships is beyond me. The Supreme Leader should have better things to do.

Luke's story was better than it is being given credit for. His little hissy fit about the Jedi and Obi Wan creating Sidious and Vader plus his 1st lesson to Rey were very telling about where his head was at.

Rey is just a poorly written female main character that hollywood loves these days, nothing more to see here. I want to like Rey, but there is no substance behind her rather than being perfect in every way. I'm not opposed to female leads, Ridley from Alien and Katnis from Hunger Games were 2 great female leads. Instead we got the shallow characters from the Ghostbusters reboot :( They built Rose's character more with minimal screen time than they hve with Rey over 2 films and made her likable in the process.

Same can be said for Holdo, Ackbar in that role would have sat better with fans. They didn't know how they were being tracked, since Finn Poe and Rose decided NOT to let anyone know the plan before they just took off for a Vegas vacation. They should all have been court marshaled at this point, but the power of the plot armor saved them. Just tolerating Poe's lil mutiny makes me wonder if these people have ever even watched a war movie before.

The slow speed chase through space was just dumb. I think Rian forgot he started TLJ immediately after TFA ended, so they shouldn't have been down to the last of their supplies yet. We'll ignore that the New Republic had no back up plan and apparently their entire government and military was in the Hosnian system and the rest of their planets just immediately surrendered and said Go First Order GO!

The ending just really left me no reason to even care about Ep 9. The only speculation I've seen is if Rey picks Finn or Crylo :(
    If Rey goes for Finn I hope Rose murders her in her sleep :)
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Hensatri wrote: »
    Too similar to the old movies. It's terrible. Too different from the old movies. It's terrible. Too neat and tidy and bright. It's terrible. To dark and complex and messy. It's terrible.

Jesus.....Fans are impossible to please. Unless you literally adapt exactly their own personal favorite fan fiction, a whole separate movie for each fan, there will be some number out there crying about how the movie was a betrayal and horrible.

I liked it, and I guarantee I'm just as much a life long uber nerdy fan as anyone.

You don’t need to destroy character development to make a movie “different from the originals”
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    I hope you’re equally as upset about stuff like the Alliance magically manufacturing a fleet of Mon Cal cruisers less than a year after the Empire “struck back”.
    It was nearly the entire Rebellion facing off against the Empire in ROTLJ

Even if you take away the very obvious explanation explained outside of the film that the fleet was cobbled together from Rebel bands across the Galaxy

It's still the entire Rebellion amassing the Officers even say themselves that a massive Rebel fleet is building up at Sullust coming from all sectors

On top of the fact that it is very obvious that there had been a length of time since EP5 and EP6 as you said and the Rebellion grew in every movie them having such a large fleet is natural and logical progression throughout the trilogy

Take that against BB-8 Controlling a Walker
    There is no way to objectively look at this film, realize it exists in the same world as the prequels, and say it is the worst Star Wars film.

Fine, then it's the Third Worst
    Or how the Falcon travelled to another star system sans hyperdrive and Vader just couldn’t be bothered to just stop and board them along the way.
    You know that is true

I don't really have a explanation for that since it's been confirmed it took 3 Months for the Journey to be completed. It doesn't make much sense why Boba doesn't just drop their Location to Vader and have them get picked up

I guess they decided that it would be easier to just capture them at Bespin once they figured out where they were going. Or who knows maybe that far out no Signal from the Slave 1 could reach the Empire

You got me there I'll have to look up info on that

But again compare that to complete and total 360 Character Development and silly tier No one telling anyone about a plan
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again

• bfloo
    15931 posts Member
    Or how the Falcon travelled to another star system sans hyperdrive and Vader just couldn’t be bothered to just stop and board them along the way.

It would be easier to get Luke to penetrate a city than to safely board a Super Star Destroyer to save his friends without taking the time to form a strike team. The motivation was to capture Luke at that point, Vader wasn't after the Rebels, the usual Jedi/ Sith ploy of dropping everything to fight their holy war in the background.

h846398gb27k.png

• Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    OOM19 wrote: »
    I hope you’re equally as upset about stuff like the Alliance magically manufacturing a fleet of Mon Cal cruisers less than a year after the Empire “struck back”.

Even if you take away the very obvious explanation explained outside of the film that the fleet was cobbled together from Rebel bands across the Galaxy

It's still the entire Rebellion amassing the Officers even say themselves that a massive Rebel fleet is building up at Sullust coming from all sectors

On top of the fact that it is very obvious that there had been a length of time since EP5 and EP6 as you said and the Rebellion grew in every movie them having such a large fleet is natural and logical progression throughout the trilogy

You know that is true

I don't really have a explanation for that since it's been confirmed it took 3 Months for the Journey to be completed. It doesn't make much sense why Boba doesn't just drop their Location to Vader and have them get picked up

I guess they decided that it would be easier to just capture them at Bespin once they figured out where they were going. Or who knows maybe that far out no Signal from the Slave 1 could reach the Empire

But again compare that to complete and total 360 Character Development and silly tier No one telling anyone about a plan

You really just going to give into that guy by saying fine it’s the third worst? You just explained point by point why it’s not that great of a film and now rank the prequels below it? Sure episode one might be on its level but ROTS? The prequels added to an already great story (the OT) while the ST destroys the entire story and character development.
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member

You know that is true

You really gave into that guy saying it’s the third worst? You just explained point by point why it’s not that great of a film and now rank the prequels below it? Sure episode one might be on its level but ROTS? The prequels added to an already great story (the OT) while the ST destroys the entire story and character development.

Get it?

Third

Third Place?

:p
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again

• bfloo
    15931 posts Member

You know that is true

You really just going to give into that guy by saying it’s the third worst? You just explained point by point why it’s not that great of a film and now rank the prequels below it? Sure episode one might be on its level but ROTS? The prequels added to an already great story (the OT) while the ST destroys the entire story and character development.

I feel like I'm the only one who liked TPM and how it set up Palpy's rise to power :'(

h846398gb27k.png

• Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017

You know that is true

You really gave into that guy saying it’s the third worst? You just explained point by point why it’s not that great of a film and now rank the prequels below it? Sure episode one might be on its level but ROTS? The prequels added to an already great story (the OT) while the ST destroys the entire story and character development.

Get it?

Third

Third Place?

:p

Depends on where you rank TFA...
    giphy.gif
  • bfloo wrote: »

You know that is true

You really just going to give into that guy by saying it’s the third worst? You just explained point by point why it’s not that great of a film and now rank the prequels below it? Sure episode one might be on its level but ROTS? The prequels added to an already great story (the OT) while the ST destroys the entire story and character development.

I feel like I'm the only one who liked TPM and how it set up Palpy's rise to power :'(

I liked it, but I would understand if people didn’t like it as much as TLJ.
  • bfloo
    15931 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

You know that is true

Then again, I didn't hate tlj as much as most either. I just got bored with the dull pacing.

h846398gb27k.png

You know that is true

Then again, I didn't hate tlj as much as most either. I just got bored with the dull pacing.

The pacing was definitely all over the place but the snoke throne room scene saved the movie for me. I still have major issues with it but it’s better than TFA. If we are being honest here, we should be blaming JJ for TLJ, he’s the one who set up this mess. Rian is just continuing what JJ made with TFA :tongue:
  • bfloo
    15931 posts Member

You know that is true

The pacing was definitely all over the place but the snoke throne room scene saved the movie for me. I still have major issues with it but it’s better than TFA. If we are being honest here, we should be blaming JJ for TLJ, he’s the one who set up this mess. Rian is just continuing what JJ made with TFA :tongue:

The ST has been awful all around.

h846398gb27k.png

You know that is true

What is really troubling is that they have JJ closing out the trilogy. Expect more unnecessary mysteries with no answers :(
  • bfloo
    15931 posts Member

You know that is true

What is really troubling is that they have JJ closing out the trilogy. Expect more unnecessary mysteries with no answers :(

I didn't really care about his mysteries from tfa, so he can have fun with that.

h846398gb27k.png

• Loved the movie. Fresh but familiar. Daisy Ridley as Rey is a great lead. Dern as Holdo was exceptional! Her chemistry with Poe was so natural and their tragic story really earned him a great deal of respect with the audience through his failure and redemption. I can’t think of a part that I disliked... sucks to be a hater! Disney has this IP on lock and they are rocking it!
  • rocketpig
    624 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    It would be easier to get Luke to penetrate a city than to safely board a Super Star Destroyer to save his friends without taking the time to form a strike team. The motivation was to capture Luke at that point, Vader wasn't after the Rebels, the usual Jedi/ Sith ploy of dropping everything to fight their holy war in the background.

You can talk yourself in a circle all day trying to explain how it wasn't a terrible plan but... it's just a terrible plan. Vader could have simply picked up the Falcon and TAKEN it to Cloud City. Or literally anywhere else in the galaxy to lure Luke away from Dagobah.

And if you don't like that example, break down the Han rescue from Jabba's Palace scene by scene, piece by piece.

It might be the worst plan ever devised in human history. It's completely nonsensical.

My point isn't to ***** on Star Wars, as I love it. But I love the flaws and the silliness along with all the stuff I really respect about it. There's nothing wrong with saying something you like is flawed but one should try to remain consistent with that analysis (ie. ripping TLJ for its inconsistencies while giving a pass to the first six movies and their equally silly inconsistencies).
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    rocketpig wrote: »

You can talk yourself in a circle all day trying to explain how it wasn't a terrible plan but... it's just a terrible plan. Vader could have simply picked up the Falcon and TAKEN it to Cloud City. Or literally anywhere else in the galaxy to lure Luke away from Dagobah.

And if you don't like that example, break down the Han rescue from Jabba's Palace scene by scene, piece by piece.

It might be the worst plan ever devised in human history. It's completely nonsensical.

My point isn't to **** on Star Wars, as I love it. But I love the flaws and the silliness along with all the stuff I really respect about it. There's nothing wrong with saying something you like is flawed but one should try to remain consistent with that analysis (ie. ripping TLJ for its inconsistencies while giving a pass to the first six movies and their equally silly inconsistencies).

You’re totally missing the point me and others are making. It’s not about certain plot holes technically not making sense, it’s about what they did to established characters like Luke. I’m not a fan of Luke’s betrayal in the movie and it’s my biggest problem with it. Also don’t like how a post war setting was never introduced or how the new republic was instantly destroyed. It’s rebellion 2.O vs the empire 2.O. It destroyed the character and story development of the other films. Having problems with that is totally different than having problems with plot holes like the falcon example previously mentioned or the jabbas palace scene.
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »

My point isn't to **** on Star Wars, as I love it. But I love the flaws and the silliness along with all the stuff I really respect about it. There's nothing wrong with saying something you like is flawed but one should try to remain consistent with that analysis (ie. ripping TLJ for its inconsistencies while giving a pass to the first six movies and their equally silly inconsistencies).

You’re totally missing the point me and others are making. It’s not about certain plot holes technically not making sense, it’s about what they did to established characters like Luke. I’m not a fan of Luke’s betrayal in the movie and it’s my biggest problem with it. Also don’t like how a post war setting was never introduced or how the new republic was instantly destroyed. It’s rebellion 2.O vs the empire 2.O. It destroyed the character and story development of the other films. Having problems with that is totally different than having problems with plot holes like the falcon example previously mentioned or the jabbas palace scene.
    What are you talking about? It’s like we didn’t watch the same film! When and whom did Luke betray? What and who was Rebellion 2.0?
  • rocketpig
    624 posts Member
    edited December 2017

You’re totally missing the point me and others are making. It’s not about certain plot holes technically not making sense, it’s about what they did to established characters like Luke. I’m not a fan of Luke’s betrayal in the movie and it’s my biggest problem with it. Also don’t like how a post war setting was never introduced or how the new republic was instantly destroyed. It’s rebellion 2.O vs the empire 2.O. It destroyed the character and story development of the other films. Having problems with that is totally different than having problems with plot holes like the falcon example previously mentioned.

I get that you have problems with that and I respect your opinion, I only want to point out there are equally valid reasons to think those concepts fit into the Star Wars universe.

Luke is a Skywalker; temperamental and unpredictable. He had the greatest task in the galaxy pressed upon him; the rebuilding of the Jedi Order from nothingness. He had barely been trained and was woefully unprepared for this challenge.

Unsurprisingly, he failed. So what did he do? He ran away and hid, coming to the conclusion that the Jedi Order was not worth rebuilding at all and it needed to pass into the annals of history. While slightly different, it's not entirely dissimilar to what Yoda did on Dagobah. He packed it in and gave up.

Is that a betrayal of the character of Luke? I don't think so at all. I think it fits in with much of what we saw of the character in the OT. You may feel differently and that's okay.

One thing about Eps VII-IX is that they WERE going to betray our visions of the characters. It was inevitable. For 32 years, the Rebellion's destruction of the Empire was a fairy tale. RotJ could have ended with "... and they all lived happily ever after." because that's basically what happened. Everybody sitting around a fire on Endor, Ewoks banging on Stormtrooper helmets, everyone grinning ear-to-ear, cue John Williams track and that's the end of Star Wars.

But to create another story to follow RotJ, it meant those plucky rebels - our friends and heroes - had failed. Conflict was necessary which required a failure of Han, Leia, and Luke to protect the galaxy and shepard in a new era of peace and prosperity. You can disagree with how Abrams and Johnson got there - that's certainly your right - but I think people were setting themselves up for disappointment by holding to the ideal of post-RotJ Star Wars while also wanting to see the series continue. The two ideas are somewhat at odds with one another.

Which is why I kinda lamented the day the franchise was sold to Disney. I was happy with six Star Wars films and knew that I'd have to prepare myself to see things I found unsettling if I watched the series continue post-Endor.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    We obviously heavily disagree. Destroying character development wasn’t inevitable. It was a choice by them that wasn’t necessary. Most of what was written was written in a way that seemed like they were starting from scratch, not continuing a series of films.
  • Phantom_A320
    1546 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I’m not gonna join the debate but I just want to point out that the Jedi texts were NOT destroyed. In the LAST scene when Finn is digging through a drawer in the Millenium Falcon you can clearly see Rey had taken all of the Jedi texts from the island. I assume after the last scene where she was angry with Luke she went and grabbed all of them before she took off in the Falcon. It even shows her closing the drawer right before she talks with Chewie about what the plan is.
  • I’m not gonna join the debate but I just want to point out that the Jedi texts were NOT destroyed. In the LAST scene when Finn is digging through a drawer in the Millenium Falcon you can clearly see Rey had taken all of the Jedi texts from the island. I assume after the last scene where she was angry with Luke she went and grabbed all of them before she took off in the Falcon. It even shows her closing the drawer right before she talks with Chewie about what the plan is.

You’re indeed correct...
  • I didn't read one Post in this thread. I don't know how anybody could have the time to read any of that. Are you a movie critic? Does anybody care about what you think? Man I'm not trying to think about nothing right now. Whatever you thought about the movie was whatever you thought. Everybody's got thoughts that doesn't mean we write a 50000 word document on them. I ain't got time for that. I don't really have time to write this out or even read it cuz I'm using voice to text and I don't even know what I said in the first sentence. Man I hope you all have a happy life day
    Ace speeder pilot.
    http://bit.ly/2smYu2B playa from day 1 when shift was real
  • What's with these off-topic threads in the Battlefront 2 section?
    "Explanation: It's just that... you have all these squishy parts, master. And all that water! How the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad, I have no idea."

- HK-47 to Revan
    giphy.gif
  • EightMile wrote: »
    I didn't read one Post in this thread. I don't know how anybody could have the time to read any of that. Are you a movie critic? Does anybody care about what you think? Man I'm not trying to think about nothing right now. Whatever you thought about the movie was whatever you thought. Everybody's got thoughts that doesn't mean we write a 50000 word document on them. I ain't got time for that. I don't really have time to write this out or even read it cuz I'm using voice to text and I don't even know what I said in the first sentence. Man I hope you all have a happy life day

Dude you literally replied to every thread on the first, second and third page on an online forum of a starwars video game.
    I didn't read one Post in this thread. I don't know how anybody could have the time to read any of that. Are you a movie critic? Does anybody care about what you think? Man I'm not trying to think about nothing right now. Whatever you thought about the movie was whatever you thought. Everybody's got thoughts that doesn't mean we write a 50000 word document on them. I ain't got time for that. I don't really have time to write this out or even read it cuz I'm using voice to text and I don't even know what I said in the first sentence. Man I hope you all have a happy life day

Talks about not having time...

Takes the time to post...

Lol.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Meatbags wrote: »
    What's with these off-topic threads in the Battlefront 2 section?

They tend to Get more attention here

Yeah I do care what people here thought of the movie and we discuss the movie because it’s fun to discuss it among other fans
    Does it matter if he is a movie critic? They judge movies like how @OOM19 does as well, why even bother being here?
    "Explanation: It's just that... you have all these squishy parts, master. And all that water! How the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad, I have no idea."

- HK-47 to Revan
    giphy.gif
  • Really wish I could say I disagree, so much so that I am genuinely a little saddened knowing how this portion of the star wars story is going. If you like it I mean hey cool for you and I'm glad it met your expectations or at exceeded them.

Personally I think it's been beaten to death by others already but yeah the pacing was poor and I actually got bored, not many movies I've watched where I was genuinely bored. So many things were done that made little to no sense what so ever for the pure purpose to keep the story going in the particular direction they wanted and that would have been fine if that direction was at all interesting but slow space chase that had little to no real content going on was just abysmal and not worth the effort to make it make sense.

While I may not have cared for the force awakens either at least it left some questions that could have been interesting to have answered and could have been used to branch into more interesting portions of the story instead they just chose to cut it all off at the knees and as others have said revert back to the exact same thing we had before except not as good and as if we needed the exact same thing again anyway.

The constant cramming in of force powers was also pretty nauseating for the most part too. Wouldn't have minded too much if the way they did it wasn't honestly just kind of stupid really. I have no eloquent way to put that, it was just dumb at times.

And of course my favourite part. If you watch it again you'll notice I think almost every single time any tension or serious moment began to develop a joke just had to be crammed in there and pathetically so. The humour was entirely unnatural.

• My conclusion is the new Star Wars movies are meant to be just holiday movies. You and your family and friends get together and get the pop corn, candy bars, and soda, and whoa....hey ITS STAR WARS!!!

Kind of like a ride at an amusement park (which is ironic enough when you consider whose pushing it)............Its got light sabers, TIE fighters and X wings, Death stars and destroyers, Storm troopers, rebels, Jedi, etc etc.......all the bells and whistles that make a Star Wars movie.

But its not done in a respectful or canon way in reflection of ALL the other Star Wars stuff like books, games, movies, tv, etc etc.

It seems each of these are just in the moment type movies.

I have no idea why you would bring back the og cast just to kill them off , and in such silly ways, and never let them be ALL together once again. We will never see Han, Leia, and Luke (played by the og actors) all together at the same time again in a Star Wars movie. So much for hope and the ending of Return Of The Jedi.

I mean why not just make it all like an alternate Star Wars universe kind of thing? After all they changed and modified the look of all the stuff anyway...Be it storm trooper uniforms or Destroyers..........Something totally fresh and brand new. Its just fiction....who cares right? At least thats the feeling the new trilogy gives off.

The new Ghostbusters is the same way. The og characters were highly disrespected by appearing as nobodies like taxi cab drivers with absolutely no connection to the previous films.

I think you can take Rogue one and Episode 7 and put them together and ALMOST have a George Lucas Star Wars movie.

At the end of the day......its just a movie folks..............try not to get too worked up from the staffs creative choices and opinions for the fate of Luke Skywalker..........If I was a director with the resources available to me I wouldn't have done many many many things that were done in this movie. But hey, I'm not a director or actor, I'm nobody and nothing, what I think is irrelevant.
  • SrawDawg wrote: »
    My conclusion is the new Star Wars movies are meant to be just holiday movies. You and your family and friends get together and get the pop corn, candy bars, and soda, and whoa....hey ITS STAR WARS!!!

Kind of like a ride at an amusement park (which is ironic enough when you consider whose pushing it)............Its got light sabers, TIE fighters and X wings, Death stars and destroyers, Storm troopers, rebels, Jedi, etc etc.......all the bells and whistles that make a Star Wars movie.

But its not done in a respectful or canon way in reflection of ALL the other Star Wars stuff like books, games, movies, tv, etc etc.

I have no idea why you would bring back the og cast just to kill them off , and in such silly ways, and never let them be ALL together once again. We will never see Han, Leia, and Luke (played by the og actors) all together at the same time again in a Star Wars movie. So much for hope and the ending of Return Of The Jedi.

I mean why not just make it all like an alternate Star Wars universe kind of thing? After all they changed and modified the look of all the stuff anyway...Be it storm trooper uniforms or Destroyers..........Something totally fresh and brand new. Its just fiction....who cares right? At least thats the feeling the new trilogy gives off.

The new Ghostbusters is the same way. The og characters were highly disrespected by appearing as nobodies like taxi cab drivers with absolutely no connection to the previous films.

I think you can take Rogue one and Episode 7 and put them together and ALMOST have a George Lucas Star Wars movie.

At the end of the day......its just a movie folks..............try not to get too worked up from the staffs creative choices and opinions for the fate of Luke Skywalker..........If I was a director with the resources available to me I wouldn't have done many many many things that were done in this movie. But hey, I'm not a director or actor, I'm nobody and nothing, what I think is irrelevant.

To be fair I think a big part of the reason many are feeling rather upset about the whole matter is because this is what it is now, this is what were are to expect. Say what you will about the prequels but at least they felt in every way Star Wars that we know and love while doing a lot of different things and also gave us some really cool things like Grievous, Maul, Windu, droids, clones, Kashyyk. But it is what it is I suppose /shrug
  • Vexation wrote: »
    SrawDawg wrote: »
    My conclusion is the new Star Wars movies are meant to be just holiday movies. You and your family and friends get together and get the pop corn, candy bars, and soda, and whoa....hey ITS STAR WARS!!!

To be fair I think a big part of the reason many are feeling rather upset about the whole matter is because this is what it is now, this is what were are to expect. Say what you will about the prequels but at least they felt in every way Star Wars that we know and love while doing a lot of different things and also gave us some really cool things like Grievous, Maul, Windu, droids, clones, Kashyyk. But it is what it is I suppose /shrug
    This isn’t an attack so please don’t take it as such. It’s a hypothesis I’ve been forming since TLJ released:

How old were you when TPM released?

Because perhaps the biggest complaint about the prequels were how much they DIDN’T feel like Star Wars. All that politicking, all those senate scenes... I loved what Lucas was trying to do with the prequels - show the death of idealism and democracy - but it was very shoddily executed in the films. Only after The Clone Wars and several novels was that idea able to really be explored in depth enough to be intriguing.

I simply wonder how many people accept the prequels as Star Wars because they grew up with them. And that’s not a dig on anyone, as Star Wars are first and foremost kids’ movies. If you enjoyed them as a kid and still hold that nostalgia for them as an adult, bully for you.

But realize just how many of your current complaints were lobbed at previous films when they released.

As for me, I accept the prequels as Star Wars while realizing they’re pretty bad films (the first two, anyway). I simply like Star Wars and try to look past it’s flaws and enjoy the parts I think are good.

The prequel films felt absolutely nothing like the Star Wars I used to know and love. They were badly acted, glossy and cgi-ridden travesties with none of the camaraderie of the OT. What you call ”cool things” I call ridiculous. The droids and Grievous in particular. But it is what it is, I agree. The new films, while different, are headed in a direction I am much more comfortable with, for which I’m glad.
  • Kaira
    166 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Everyone has and are entitled to their opinions on the movie but to try and push the hate Disney agenda on people who enjoyed the film and because the film never took the direction YOU wanted is wrong, I've been a very long time Star Wars fan and I went in with an open mind and I enjoyed it as a movie I wouldnt say it was amazing as a Star Wars story but it was enjoyable for me to watch.
    Vexation wrote: »

This isn’t an attack so please don’t take it as such. It’s a hypothesis I’ve been forming since TLJ released:

Because perhaps the biggest complaint about the prequels were how much they DIDN’T feel like Star Wars. All that politicking, all those senate scenes... I loved what Lucas was trying to do with the prequels - show the death of idealism and democracy - but it was very shoddily executed in the films. Only after The Clone Wars and several novels was that idea able to really be explored in depth enough to be intriguing.

I simply wonder how many people accept the prequels as Star Wars because they grew up with them. And that’s not a dig on anyone, as Star Wars are first and foremost kids’ movies. If you enjoyed them as a kid and still hold that nostalgia for them as an adult, bully for you.

But realize just how many of your current complaints were lobbed at previous films when they released.

As for me, I accept the prequels as Star Wars while realizing they’re pretty bad films (the first two, anyway). I simply like Star Wars and try to look past it’s flaws and enjoy the parts I think are good.

No offense taken at all haha, Phantom menace was released when I was only 5. But didn't actually see it til I was 15 and subsequently the others either. I grew up on the original trilogy as a kid. Hell even when I was a kid I thought ewoks are dumb because I genuinely wanted a planet of wookies instead. And I agree phantom menace and clone wars both really existed to fill in the pieces for what would become revenge of the sith, the only really good movie out of the three.

See I find that interesting because most of the arguments I've ever known against the prequels that it was riddled with poor writing and poor acting which are quintessential parts of well every movie really. And the over-reliance on CGI. Also jar jar but that's a given really.
  • bfloo
    15931 posts Member

No offense taken at all haha, Phantom menace was released when I was only 5. But didn't actually see it til I was 15 and subsequently the others either. I grew up on the original trilogy as a kid. **** even when I was a kid I thought ewoks are dumb because I genuinely wanted a planet of wookies instead. And I agree phantom menace and clone wars both really existed to fill in the pieces for what would become revenge of the sith, the only really good movie out of the three.

See I find that interesting because most of the arguments I've ever known against the prequels that it was riddled with poor writing and poor acting which are quintessential parts of well every movie really. And the over-reliance on CGI. Also jar jar but that's a given really.

Why they gve Jar Jar that voice I will never know :(

h846398gb27k.png

The prequel films felt absolutely nothing like the Star Wars I used to know and love. They were badly acted, glossy and cgi-ridden travesties with none of the camaraderie of the OT. What you call ”cool things” I call ridiculous. The droids and Grievous in particular. But it is what it is, I agree. The new films, while different, are headed in a direction I am much more comfortable with, for which I’m glad.

Hey I get it man I really do. But that is exactly how I feel about this new series. Except unlike the prequels they've taken what I loved, copied it in completely uninspiring ways in order to be "safe" and contributed nothing to the franchise as a whole. If anything they reset the cycle back to a new hope but have managed to make the whole thing lifeless and riddled with poor acting, pointless plot and cringe worthy humour. Why would I want to see the measly resistance as opposed to the rebel alliance? Why would I want to see the bumbling first order as opposed to the empire? Why would I want to see Finn, Rey, Poe and Kylo take on the same roles that were made iconic by others and are practically just filling their shoes?

But hey different strokes for different folks, you see the prequels as going too far away from the star wars you knew, I see the sequels as being bad rip offs of the star wars I knew. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind and if nothing else I'm always piqued by others views on the same subject. So hey glad you enjoyed it at least, I honestly do wish I could say the same for myself.

No offense taken at all haha, Phantom menace was released when I was only 5. But didn't actually see it til I was 15 and subsequently the others either. I grew up on the original trilogy as a kid. **** even when I was a kid I thought ewoks are dumb because I genuinely wanted a planet of wookies instead. And I agree phantom menace and clone wars both really existed to fill in the pieces for what would become revenge of the sith, the only really good movie out of the three.

Why they gve Jar Jar that voice I will never know :(

I've always just assumed money because they thought kids would like it or find it cute and buy the toys? Why they thought that to begin with is another story entirely.
  • CountVonLux2
    551 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    The prequels were very good, could have been cut down a bit but I like them even better than the OT. They will get respect in time I believe, I think it’s already sort of happening. I don’t count the ST Personally. To me Star Wars is supposed to be deep and meaningful, the ST is not.
  • The prequels were very good, could have been cut down a bit but I like them even better than the OT. They will get respect in time I believe, I think it’s already sort of happening. I don’t count the ST Personally. To me Star Wars is supposed to be deep and meaningful, the ST is not.
    They won't get respect and no, it's not happening now.

It has been 18 years since TPM released. If people were going to look back upon the prequels fondly, it would have happened a decade ago.

It's fine that you like them - I like LOTS of bad movies - but the prequels are objectively bad films. They're choppily edited, the overuse of CG is distracting and obvious, the acting is wooden, the scripts are painful... the list goes on. They're just bad filmmaking and I'm saying this as someone who respects the hell out of George Lucas. He simply missed the mark on 2.5 out of 3 films.

The one thing the prequels really nailed is the action. The Maul fight is still the best saber fight in a Star Wars film. The opening space sequence of RotS is majestic. But Lucas swung and missed at nearly everything else.
  • bfloo
    15931 posts Member
    The prequels were very good, could have been cut down a bit but I like them even better than the OT. They will get respect in time I believe, I think it’s already sort of happening. I don’t count the ST Personally. To me Star Wars is supposed to be deep and meaningful, the ST is not.

It has been 18 years since TPM released. If people were going to look back upon the prequels fondly, it would have happened a decade ago.

It's fine that you like them - I like LOTS of bad movies - but the prequels are objectively bad films. They're choppily edited, the overuse of CG is distracting and obvious, the acting is wooden, the scripts are painful... the list goes on. They're just bad filmmaking and I'm saying this as someone who respects the **** out of George Lucas. He simply missed the mark on 2.5 out of 3 films.

The one thing the prequels really nailed is the action. The Maul fight is still the best saber fight in a Star Wars film. The opening space sequence of RotS is majestic. But Lucas swung and missed at nearly everything else.

George was never a great director.

ESB is generally considered the best Star Wars film, and is incidentally the one he didn't direct.

The PT did grow on me after a while, with a lot of help from the Darth Jar Jar theory.

h846398gb27k.png

It's fine that you like them - I like LOTS of bad movies - but the prequels are objectively bad films. They're choppily edited, the overuse of CG is distracting and obvious, the acting is wooden, the scripts are painful... the list goes on. They're just bad filmmaking and I'm saying this as someone who respects the **** out of George Lucas. He simply missed the mark on 2.5 out of 3 films.

They definitely had room for improvement- but overall we disagree. ROTS is the best Star Wars movie ever IMO.

They definitely had room for improvement- but overall we disagree. ROTS is the best Star Wars movie ever IMO.

RotS is the only prequel film I consider acceptable quality-wise so at that point, it just boils down to preference.

Though every time I hear "she's lost the will to live", I want to claw out my eyes and ears. Oh, and "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!"

Oy. Just painful.