criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

How To Be Really Good

DarthPlato
308 posts Member
edited January 2018
So I've poured 150-200 hours into this game so far. I've gotten pretty good, have some great star cards, weapons, and weapon accessories, and land on the leaderboard every few games or so, buuuutttt....

Often times I just suck. Usually on smaller, simpler maps like Mos Eisley or Death Star, where earning BP is a grind, and it essentially just comes down to being the best gunfighter. On such maps, I'm just kind of ok. I usually end up middle of the pack. Seems like after all the time I've put into this game (4-6 hours a day for a couple months) I should be better than decent.

The last game I put much time into was COD Modern Warfare 2. After about 50-100 hours of brainless gameplay, it was just kind of automatic that I became pretty unstoppable. I was dropping nukes every couple of rounds like nobody's business!

But on BF2, after 2-3x as much time put into the game, I'm just kinda good. I have yet to land MVP even once. If I don't stick with my team I'm pretty much a fish in a barrel, and don't even get me started on heroes/villains. I'm so terrible with Jedis that I'm actually reluctant to use them, and actually do significantly better with normal troopers.

Anyway, no matter how well or how poorly I do in any given match, I always see these other players racking up INSANE points, even on maps with no clear way to rack up easy BP. How are these players doing so well? Are they just gifted? Are they doing drills and what not or practicing certain skills in isolation? Are they just spamming secret BP tricks that I don't know about? I also see people on youtube uploading guides for dominating with every class, every hero, every reinforcement. How in god's name is somebody good enough with every kind of unit to make how to videos? I've been playing for 4-6 hours every day for two months, and there are some heroes I haven't even had time to play as!

This is turning into a rant...

Basically my question is this: I feel like I've plateaued. I've gone from clueless noob to 'pretty good' status. But I feel like I've hit a ceiling. How does one go from being 'pretty good' to being a berserking terror on the battlefront? Should I be practicing certain skills? Should I be watching more strategy videos/live streams?

Any thoughts/tips/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Replies

• Watch some videos off of YouTube from SwanyPlaysGames or AnarchxNinja.

I prefer AnarchxNinja. Anyways, watching their videos helped me get better and now I'm almost always top 3. I'm MVP at least once every three games.
  • Watch some videos off of YouTube from SwanyPlaysGames or AnarchxNinja.

I prefer AnarchxNinja. Anyways, watching their videos helped me get better and now I'm almost always top 3. I'm MVP at least once every three games.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out! Do you actively set aside time to practice what you see in the videos? Or do you just try to vaguely keep all of their advice in mind while playing?

Cheers
  • BF2 is interesting that way.
    Check these posts out:
  • more you play the more you improve. Just the way it is. Map knowledge is one of the most important components regardless of mode. Then also class mechanics etc. Dominating isnt hard, skill cap is pretty low in this game overall
  • more you play the more you improve. Just the way it is. Map knowledge is one of the most important components regardless of mode. Then also class mechanics etc. Dominating isnt hard, skill cap is pretty low in this game overall

I don't think it comes down to simply playing more. This game has only been out a couple of months. One can only play so much in that time period. I've put about 200 hours into this game so far, I don't think en extra 100 is going to make the difference (at least not another 100 that resemble the first 200). In other words, it's not just time+time+time=skill. I think how one plays really matters.

I also think dominating absolutely is hard. At least if by "dominating" we're talking about being the best player on the field, as opposed to simply racking up BP. Anybody can "dominate" score-wise by tearing up walkers or playing as an AAT, but "dominating" in the sense that you are essentially the finger of god in gunfights or jedi duels is a whole other shabang.

I agree that class mechanics are important. But there's a difference between simply knowing this, and actually understanding what the proper mechanics of each class are, and then improving them. Any resources you can recommend for this knowledge?

Cheers
  • FullyFokused
    210 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Get behind the objective and kill enemies from the other team before they can get back to the objective. On the two maps you listed as having trouble this works extremely well as an attacker in the first stage. Find a few good spots you can rotate around and you rack up nice kill streaks. You’re shooting them in the back so it’s pretty hard to lose that gunfight.
  • DarthPlato wrote: »
    more you play the more you improve. Just the way it is. Map knowledge is one of the most important components regardless of mode. Then also class mechanics etc. Dominating isnt hard, skill cap is pretty low in this game overall

I don't think it comes down to simply playing more. This game has only been out a couple of months. One can only play so much in that time period. I've put about 200 hours into this game so far, I don't think en extra 100 is going to make the difference (at least not another 100 that resemble the first 200). In other words, it's not just time+time+time=skill. I think how one plays really matters.

I also think dominating absolutely is hard. At least if by "dominating" we're talking about being the best player on the field, as opposed to simply racking up BP. Anybody can "dominate" score-wise by tearing up walkers or playing as an AAT, but "dominating" in the sense that you are essentially the finger of god in gunfights or jedi duels is a whole other shabang.

I agree that class mechanics are important. But there's a difference between simply knowing this, and actually understanding what the proper mechanics of each class are, and then improving them. Any resources you can recommend for this knowledge?

Cheers

I would class dominating as 100+ and top of the board on any map in GA, since going on such large streaks actually assists your team greatly. This isnt difficult, however I would note to do this the easiest method would be using heros or on a couple of maps vehicles. And no I am not referring to Palps, as yes he makes this very easy, but there are other very strong heroes to be able to get there
    more you play the more you improve. Just the way it is. Map knowledge is one of the most important components regardless of mode. Then also class mechanics etc. Dominating isnt hard, skill cap is pretty low in this game overall

Cheers

Sorry to answer your last point, no specific resources. Its just from years playing FPS games to be honest. Oh and finally get a good group. Groups in GA/HvV/Strike will help significantly. Essentially with an 8 man team you can easily carry a pug GA round.
    Watch some videos off of YouTube from SwanyPlaysGames or AnarchxNinja.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out! Do you actively set aside time to practice what you see in the videos? Or do you just try to vaguely keep all of their advice in mind while playing?

Cheers
    Basically just follow their style of playing.
  • BeepBoop wrote: »
    This happens to me too. I'm close to 300ish hours and sometimes I just can't land anything. Sometimes the other team is just steamrolling my team or just has generally better players on it. Some maps I simply haven't worked out a proper strategy for tbh. It is what it is I guess. I do watch Swany and Anarchx and they generally seem to have a way better awareness of the map and where enemies are in relation to them, it seems super human sometimes, but it's all just timing and not over extending yourself going for a kill, and also not sitting in one spot waiting for something to happen and to just keep moving.

I fee like it's also important to keep your cool and not get "tilted" at points in the game when you encounter frustration. Calm nerves lead to calm hands.

Good advice in there. Especially about not overextending or sitting around waiting. Also on trying not to get "Tilted" (which is the perfect word choice btw). I do notice that my number of deaths go up drastically as I get more frustrated. It's like the compound interest of failure lol.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Blurrg alone is responsible for no less than 50% of my deaths. I hope to god they nerfed that thing on the patch that came out today. That'll go a long way toward pacifying my stress level.
  • d0kRX
    1438 posts Member
    DarthPlato wrote: »
    BeepBoop wrote: »
    This happens to me too. I'm close to 300ish hours and sometimes I just can't land anything. Sometimes the other team is just steamrolling my team or just has generally better players on it. Some maps I simply haven't worked out a proper strategy for tbh. It is what it is I guess. I do watch Swany and Anarchx and they generally seem to have a way better awareness of the map and where enemies are in relation to them, it seems super human sometimes, but it's all just timing and not over extending yourself going for a kill, and also not sitting in one spot waiting for something to happen and to just keep moving.

I fee like it's also important to keep your cool and not get "tilted" at points in the game when you encounter frustration. Calm nerves lead to calm hands.

Good advice in there. Especially about not overextending or sitting around waiting. Also on trying not to get "Tilted" (which is the perfect word choice btw). I do notice that my number of deaths go up drastically as I get more frustrated. It's like the compound interest of failure lol.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Blurrg alone is responsible for no less than 50% of my deaths. I hope to god they nerfed that thing on the patch that came out today. That'll go a long way toward pacifying my stress level.

They did Nerf the blurrg, it's reductions are noted on the patch notes.
    PSN: d0kRX
  • d0kRX wrote: »
    BeepBoop wrote: »

They did Nerf the blurrg, it's reductions are noted on the patch notes.

Yeah I saw that. thank god. They also buffed the barrage. Happy birthday to me!! (seriously. it's my birthday today). Thanks EA.
  • I feel that's the way the game is. Sometimes your on a good team and can rack up the kills. Other times your team is ***** and the others just destroy you. What am trying to do to improve is better understand the classes and star cards. That way you can maximise any advantages they give you. And also knowing the maps better. Means You can workout good places to get kills
  • Honestly, the one thing that I do is stay alive for a good amount of time and if you were playing hard you should have gotten some battle points. I usually try to stay alive for 4 to 5 engagement s with the enemy team.
  • I know this sounds simple but are u running the starcard that increases your battlepoint gain? I found this card is essential to getting them battlepoints during match. You gain an increase of 40% I belive
  • OcDoc
    1943 posts Member
    There are a few BP tricks but mostly it is having a comprehensive understanding of the maps and flow of opponents and then keeping your head on a swivel to assure you see opponents before they see you at which point it is all about accuracy and winning engagements with proficiency.

Wanna be great... gotta land headshots and stop settling for body shots. Gotta be able to land around 85% of your shots or better. Gotta be able to get the drop on large groups of players without them knowing you are there by way of great map knowledge and then win those fights. Gotta understand the strengths and weaknesses of all characters to make sure you have the upper hand in an engagement. Essentially, you need to be proficient with every class including re-inforcements, vehicles and heroes.

If you can manage all that and get points for objective play, even better. Objectives like firing ion rockets gives a lot of points.

It takes time and a good bit of it. There is more going on in this game than people like to give it credit for. But watching good players definitely can accelerate the learning curve to see what kinds of things are effective that you aren’t doing so you can implement those tactics into your play.

Lastly, don’t get to wrapped up in it. All Star Wars fans know “there is always a bigger fish”. But if it is fun for you to push your limits and break through your plateau then by all means put in the time and effort. And spend a little time in HvV to really get the feel for hero play, just realize you can’t play with a hero in the big modes the same way. It is just to become proficient in their variations and subtleties. Hero play in the large scale modes requires a more comprehensive and systematic approach with more hit and run and map utilization than HvV.
    Basically my question is this: I feel like I've plateaued. I've gone from clueless noob to 'pretty good' status. But I feel like I've hit a ceiling. How does one go from being 'pretty good' to being a berserking terror on the battlefront? Should I be practicing certain skills? Should I be watching more strategy videos/live streams?

Any thoughts/tips/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

But what is a good player? What is a bad player? And do those same questions truly address factual reality or just opinion? Most real veterans would probably tell you that all war is hell, yet today's youth play war games as if it were a pretty day at the local basketball court. And it is for this reason I think this game likely does better than both Battlefield V and COD WW2 (sales and play time numbers). IMO those games are too grissly and dark. To close to that hell perhaps. This game is bright and flashy, and caters better to simple competition over the long term I think. Maybe a game of Naboo CS is closer to that basketball game in the park at sunset during a beautiful fall day.

Now about your questions and situation. I know just what you mean, I've saw the videos with the 500 kill streaks on Endor (while still in the woods mind you), I don't know what to make of it either, its almost as if the players in those servers aren't trying hard enough. "Where have all the try-hards gone?" Would make a good Kyla Cole remix.

Ever since Battlefield 3, I just basically expect to lose. I have seen some really wild stuff in multiplayer since then. And if I get anything over a loss then I consider it a good day. I don't think you should worry about it too much. That whole K?D thing. Vanity numbers and fleeting number @ best.

It probably wouldn't hurt to watch others and try to find strategies and tactics that you personally didn't try or think of. Because that is what you are asking right? How do I get better? Is it even possible to offer you such a comment response in a simple single reply to this thread? Try to win, if things feel too "outlandish" to you they just might be, but you would have a hell of a time proving that to anyone else. And you mention the burn out period, after that time you will likely not be able to reach maximum efficiency without considerable time away. I feel blessed that I got to take part in such an awesome multiplayer game. The devs might turn it into Pac-man next month, who knows, I'm just thankful that it is still receiving quality updates at 2 years out.