criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Double XP Event

Starfighter Assault Thread

Replies

• JMaster wrote: »
    Hey, don't forget...
    24m32otgx0z9.png

Yes to Bespin as well.
    Mode needs new maps please.
    #StarWars-y
  • another great mode left to die with no new maps. extraction is suffering the same fate but SA has been done even more dirty since it was here since launch.
  • bfloo
    15957 posts Member
    JMaster wrote: »
    Hey, don't forget...
    24m32otgx0z9.png

This map just got buried, and it was a lot of fun :'(
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Bespin also has potential for some truly beautiful variants too. Morning, Afternoon, Dusk, AND Night.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Looking at the feedback, it seems many people ask for more SA maps. I'm not sure how useful is this feedback in term of future development, but SA is one of the main request from players. Maybe they'll try to satisfy their community.
    DeNeher0 wrote: »
    Definitely need more maps. Falcon and Slave 1 are just big targets. I would greatly increase their health.

=> Scimitar is also big and its furtivity advantage doesn't compensate for its really low life as compared to its size... At least ins SA. I'm able to spend nearly 5 minutes playing Yoda and staying alive while with Maul, its maybe 2 minutes before someone targets me and shoot me down...
  • hsf_
    1912 posts Member
    Still no info on whether this mode is dead or going to get something? Nice, thanks Devs, this is why I'll probably never buy another EA game.

A simple "yes, we have plans for it after the current roadmap" or..
    A simple "No, unfortunately we have no plans for future development of Starfighter Assault"
    Would more than suffice. All we want to know, is whether it's worth putting time into this game mode, or whether we should move on to a different gamemode or game entirely.
  • Random splurge I wish the Falcon and Slave 1 had their speed and maneuverability increased. They decreased their health, it only made sense that the "Fastest Ship in the fleet" was faster than Iden Bloody Versio's TIE Fighter : /.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    hsf_ wrote: »
    Put the N-1 Starfighter into SA and Arcade.

papr3wrym1rx.jpg

Or the bunny gets it.

While I like to see more usage of N-1 (like they already did in Hero Starfighters), I do not approve the idea to be added for SA and Arcade (especially the former) unless they add a new SA Naboo map that could only be used there for authentic reason.

Don't get me wrong, the N-1 is an awesome ship. But the reason why this ship exist in the first place is because of GA's Naboo map, and thus an opportunity that the devs took to design this iconic yet unique ship to fit in its role that is endemic only to that planet to reflect TPM. However, if BF2 didn't have Naboo, we probably wouldn't have this ship at all. The N-1 definitely have the capacity to travel around the galaxy like we saw in AofC, but it doesn't make sense to see them participating in Clone Wars battles outside of Naboo.

There are a couple of ways the N-1 could be implemented into SA without having a new map made specifically for it. 1). You could add it as an enforcer class ship, bringing in B-Wings, Tie Defenders among others into the fray. 2). You could make it a hero ship, with either Leia or a young Anakin at the helm. Or 3). if you consider that Canon isn't exactly a first priority(Kylo vs Droids in GA for example), then you could just replace the X-Wing in one of the maps already in the game, as it basically serves the exact same function, just has different sounds and visuals.
    To tease a unique Starfighter in a GA map and not SA is criminal. I think there is even a campaign mission where you fly alongside N-1's defending Naboo, why not port that over to SA? You don't need to adjust much on it...

There was an interview about a year ago (I think it was between Elliot of BattlefrontUpdates and Dennis) that shows about DICE confirming that they intent to make everything in BF2 as a Star Wars game as authentic as possible through the fans heart. But of course it cannot be absolutely 100% authentic (such as the cross-era Heroes, though the BP cost does depend for certain characters in certain eras), especially for game balance reasons.

However, I do find as a great idea in adding an N-1 in SA as a Hero ship, as it certainly could get even more usage for that ship's model--I haven't even thought of that as a matter of fact. Either Leia or young Anakin will do fine but, as awkward as it might sound, I prefer Leia over other as she was even seen flying her N-1 in the campaign, that is, in the same BF2 we play today (while I prefer the older Anakin flying in either his Eta-2 Actis-class or Delta-7 Aethersprite-class).
    PSN: FriedPizza773
    Hey, don't forget...
    24m32otgx0z9.png

fk511vudwc9a.jpg
    Something like this as well.
    #StarWars-y
  • hilapff wrote: »
    Looking at the feedback, it seems many people ask for more SA maps. I'm not sure how useful is this feedback in term of future development, but SA is one of the main request from players. Maybe they'll try to satisfy their community.
    Definitely need more maps. Falcon and Slave 1 are just big targets. I would greatly increase their health.

=> Scimitar is also big and its furtivity advantage doesn't compensate for its really low life as compared to its size... At least ins SA. I'm able to spend nearly 5 minutes playing Yoda and staying alive while with Maul, its maybe 2 minutes before someone targets me and shoot me down...

There are a few reasons why Yoda can survive a lot more than Maul if played right. It is actually just one: Hero Starfighters. When they introduced the mode, to balance it they changed all hero ships. Tanky ones had their HP reduced and glass cannons had their HP increased. Yoda's ship was a glass cannon before (for SA balance). It was fast, had a shock ability and decent damage, but its HP was limited so once you got spotted you would die fast. Maul's one was supposed to be a tanky damage dealer. It also had another "nerf" to its cloaking ability. Before the mode was introduced he could regen all his HP. It was the perfect ambush ship, you could just cloak, track someone, lock on him and kill him fast (you can still do it). Then just wait for the cloaking ability to come back and if somebody was trying to kill you, you would just disappear, get your HP back and come back to ambush somebody else. This was completely broken for Hero Starfighters but it worked well for SA.

Anyways, we have been asking for new maps for a long time and we got no response. Criterion is already working on other stuff... Sure, not getting a direct NO, like we did for more campaign missions can be reassuring, but SA has been neglected in terms of maps for a long time and seeing how GA has had to wait almost a year for its first new map while there has been no mention of SA on any roadmap is troubling...
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • TheScape wrote: »
    hilapff wrote: »
    Looking at the feedback, it seems many people ask for more SA maps. I'm not sure how useful is this feedback in term of future development, but SA is one of the main request from players. Maybe they'll try to satisfy their community.

There are a few reasons why Yoda can survive a lot more than Maul if played right. It is actually just one: Hero Starfighters. When they introduced the mode, to balance it they changed all hero ships. Tanky ones had their HP reduced and glass cannons had their HP increased. Yoda's ship was a glass cannon before (for SA balance). It was fast, had a shock ability and decent damage, but its HP was limited so once you got spotted you would die fast. Maul's one was supposed to be a tanky damage dealer. It also had another "nerf" to its cloaking ability. Before the mode was introduced he could regen all his HP. It was the perfect ambush ship, you could just cloak, track someone, lock on him and kill him fast (you can still do it). Then just wait for the cloaking ability to come back and if somebody was trying to kill you, you would just disappear, get your HP back and come back to ambush somebody else. This was completely broken for Hero Starfighters but it worked well for SA.

Anyways, we have been asking for new maps for a long time and we got no response. Criterion is already working on other stuff... Sure, not getting a direct NO, like we did for more campaign missions can be reassuring, but SA has been neglected in terms of maps for a long time and seeing how GA has had to wait almost a year for its first new map while there has been no mention of SA on any roadmap is troubling...

=> It makes sence for HvV SA! But not for SA...

=> Something funny is Luke's aim assistance. It's really poor as compared to the basic X-Wing T63 and T70, and Poe's one. As the result it's really difficult to shoot someone down with Luke's main weapon.
    I'm not sure if it's linked to the ship's level (my basic fighter is LVL 40, Poe is 29 while Luke is barely 7 or 8...) or just dev's balancing.
  • Starfighters and Hero Ships should have a much better sense of speed in Battlefront II. They're all too slow. Even ships that were famous for their high speed like the TIE/IN and RZ-1 A-Wing feel sluggish. It's really noticeable when flying at full throttle in close proximity to a large stationary structure. Starfighter combat should feel much more exhilarating. Something closer to how they're portrayed in the movies and TV shows.

How ships maneuver at high versus low speeds should also be adjusted. Right now they feel more like driving a car in a 3D space rather than piloting a starfighter. Also, the "ship tilt" effect when yawing should be reduced or eliminated.

Cockpit free-look functionality would be fantastic to have, and we still need the "Tag Attacker" function added to controller starfighter controls.
    "All wings report in."
  • The mode needs more maps.
    #StarWars-y
  • bfloo
    15957 posts Member
    JMaster wrote: »
    Random splurge I wish the Falcon and Slave 1 had their speed and maneuverability increased. They decreased their health, it only made sense that the "Fastest Ship in the fleet" was faster than Iden Bloody Versio's TIE Fighter : /.

I agree about the Falcon. Whenever I use it, my thought is 'Where is Leia to get out and push'
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• BTL-A4_Ace wrote: »

Cockpit free-look functionality would be fantastic to have, and we still need the "Tag Attacker" function added to controller starfighter controls.

That would be awesome
  • The thing people don’t seem to have experience of is that playing a HV in SFA will get you killed quickly if you do t know what you’re doing.

The best thing about HV SFA is it teaches you how to play your hero ship effectively. I’d get a hero ship and be dead in moments before. Then i started working my way through the ships in HVSF and not only found it a good way to upgrade your levels, but also when I went to battle in SFA in a hero ship, I rarely lost it.

I’ve been an SFA mainer since day one. But since applying this ro regular HVV, I find I can hang onto them longer in GA matches, too. Altho I am poor at shooting on the grind based matches and rarely get a hero :)

Re the N1, I like the idea of a baby anakin flying it, as long as the lines are more than ‘let’s try spinning, that’s a good trick’. Padme would be better but I doubt we’ll see her as a new hero. Tbh I just want to fly it in sfa as a regular SF. this is clone wars era, why can’t we have the droid control ship fight? So what if we have ryloth?

pH
  • looking at the Geonosis gameplay video... look at all that airspace... so vast and grand... so much space...
  • hsf_
    1912 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Interesting that they made the aiming reticule smaller for SFA, but they still haven't fixed the Fire Control Cycler starcard which is literally a lotto as to whether it works or not. It seems to break the most on Ryloth, Kamino and Unknown regions.

Additionally, stop kicking me from games with 10 kills to go. Do you understand how frustrating that is, when you're 10,000 points ahead of anyone else in the game? Seriously...
  • I really want to know if we'll be getting some hero ships for these characters coming out.
  • Bumped for more SA content.
    #StarWars-y
  • hsf_
    1912 posts Member
    I have adjusted the title of the thread, as I felt it deserved it, given the amount of pages it has.
  • Agreed.
    #StarWars-y
  • It must be seen now, surely? It's now a megathread topic
  • hsf_
    1912 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    It must be seen now, surely? It's now a megathread topic

The "megathread" was removed as I was the one who put it in. I got a message from IronSoldier explaining that the moderators are the ones who put that into the thread titles. I felt it was deserved, given that it has nearly 18 pages of SA talk in it, but whatever lol.

I've also sent a group message to a few of the moderators, to which IronSoldier said he can't comment on it, so he'll leave it to one of the EA/Dice crew.

The "megathread" was removed as I was the one who put it in. I got a message from IronSoldier explaining that the moderators are the ones who put that into the thread titles.

I've also sent a group message to a few of the moderators, to which IronSoldier said he can't comment on it, so he'll leave it to one of the EA/Dice crew.

Oh don't worry, I knew that, but I'm just saying that as it has now reached megathread status, it at least deserves a comment from a dev
  • Guys, the problem with SA is that the people who created SA, don't work on the game anymore.

Criterion is too busy making blu ray box sets for old Akira Kurosawa movies, alas.....
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • More Starfighter please.
  • I just love this mode so much. It makes me feel as if I'm right there in the thick of the action just like the movies. Beautifully executed, clearly the most polished mode at launch. Where is the love? New maps,ships?
  • JMaster
    2271 posts Member
    Speaking of spice... I really didn't like SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY for whatever reason, but dang would Kessel make a gorgeous Starfighter map!
    vhm7yu2fcemm.png
    He knew.
    Speaking of spice... I really didn't like SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY for whatever reason, but dang would Kessel make a gorgeous Starfighter map!
    vhm7yu2fcemm.png

Yeah (although I liked the movie). The Maw would be an amazing map and they could add new gimmicks like some hazards when you fly through the nebula. While I was watching the movie I kept thinking, that is a great idea for a good SA map.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • Billkwando wrote: »
    Guys, the problem with SA is that the people who created SA, don't work on the game anymore.

Criterion is too busy making blu ray box sets for old Akira Kurosawa movies, alas.....

Side note, I think many would agree this thread has gone plaid and should have the status of mega. Some great feedback and suggestions within these 17 pages and counting that should have merited a response from EA/DICE. We've remained civil to each other...so far, not requiring the mods to do any "cleaning" or closing. This thread is not era specific or about one single hero, map or event, this thread represents something that appeals to all pilots without the "stuff" seen on other threads. Personally I don't care if it is the TIE Interceptor, ARC170, Kylo's TIE Silencer or any other star fighter available I'm jumping into, era does not matter to me in SA, I just want to fly, kill and destroy.

I agree with you completely, apart from the mixing of eras. I'd prefer to keep them as authentic as possible, I don't want to hop into a match on Ryloth fighting to destroy the Lukrehulk but seeing A-Wings, ARC-170's, TIE's and Vultures flying altogether. I would definitely stop playing the game if that happened.
  • hsf_
    1912 posts Member
    Well, while we're waiting for an answer, what do you guys think of SA in Arcade?

I personally like the Arcade mode, but feel it needs to have the AI count upped from 10 to 20 per team, as at times it feels a little empty compared to online SA, which has 20 players per team + AI flying around too.
    I'd also like to see the actual online game mode brought to Arcade, as just mindlessly destroying ships is a little monotonous after a while.
    Guys, the problem with SA is that the people who created SA, don't work on the game anymore.

Side note, I think many would agree this thread has gone plaid and should have the status of mega. Some great feedback and suggestions within these 17 pages and counting that should have merited a response from EA/DICE. We've remained civil to each other...so far, not requiring the mods to do any "cleaning" or closing. This thread is not era specific or about one single hero, map or event, this thread represents something that appeals to all pilots without the "stuff" seen on other threads. Personally I don't care if it is the TIE Interceptor, ARC170, Kylo's TIE Silencer or any other star fighter available I'm jumping into, era does not matter to me in SA, I just want to fly, kill and destroy.

I agree with you completely, apart from the mixing of eras. I'd prefer to keep them as authentic as possible, I don't want to hop into a match on Ryloth fighting to destroy the Lukrehulk but seeing A-Wings, ARC-170's, TIE's and Vultures flying altogether. I would definitely stop playing the game if that happened.

I did not mean mixing eras as in all ships playing together like in HvV SA. I meant that I don't mind what era I'm playing in, OT, PT or ST, when it comes to SA.
    @JMaster - yes a Kessel Run would have been great for a Solo SA map.
    #StarWars-y

I did not mean mixing eras as in all ships playing together like in HvV SA. I meant that I don't mind what era I'm playing in, OT, PT or ST, when it comes to SA.

Oh, fairs, my mistake. Yeah, I agree, just get me flying
  • The Maw would be an excellent, excellent SA map addition.

But then again, so would practically anything.

More maps please.
  • FriedPizza773
    1182 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    TheScape wrote: »

While I 100% agree with you. The foundation was created by Criterion, but DICE should still be able to expand on it with new maps. Even if they just reuse mechanics (like capital ships, or destroyable objectives), the maps can feel new if they do them on planets (like an over Naboo battle).

This^^! It wouldn't make sense for DICE not being able to expand SA just because Criterion no longer works for them. When it was announced that Criterion left the developer team, I've never heard anything else by also including that SA can no longer be expanded with new contents (at least as far as I know or remember). It would've been a very poor decision for DICE to only leave everything about SA to Criterion and never to themselves if the former probably knew that the latter was only temporally working in the same team, that is, if that was the case.
    Post edited by FriedPizza773 on
    PSN: FriedPizza773
  • New_Roosterman
    543 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    With the latest update, just to annoy us all, they made the aiming cross hairs smaller and the aiming circle on targets smaller. Gee great change just what we all wanted, not -_-
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • With the latest update, just to annoy us all, they made the aiming cross hairs smaller and the aiming circle on targets smaller. Gee great change just what we all wanted, not -_-

I actually kinda like it
  • Jett_Fett_91166
    4038 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Well, while we're waiting for an answer, what do you guys think of SA in Arcade?

I personally like the Arcade mode, but feel it needs to have the AI count upped from 10 to 20 per team, as at times it feels a little empty compared to online SA, which has 20 players per team + AI flying around too.
    I'd also like to see the actual online game mode brought to Arcade, as just mindlessly destroying ships is a little monotonous after a while.

I'd like the maps to be a little larger and yes more AI. I did have a glitch where I was in Slave 1 and had no ships to kill. Just flew around shooting at stuff and dropping seismic charges until I got bored.

Edit: this happened on D'Qar.
    #StarWars-y
  • Icedragon7897
    1964 posts Member
    edited December 2018

The "megathread" was removed as I was the one who put it in. I got a message from IronSoldier explaining that the moderators are the ones who put that into the thread titles. I felt it was deserved, given that it has nearly 18 pages of SA talk in it, but whatever lol.

Basically he tried shutting you down and hoping it would go away
  • How about a SA Geomosis map which is the sky above the GA map and the objectives are on the ground?
    It shouldn’t take to much effort for the developers as the ground is already done and it’s just an expansion of empty space and programming the objectives and AI.
  • hsf_
    1912 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    DaxStorm wrote: »
    How about a SA Geomosis map which is the sky above the GA map and the objectives are on the ground?
    It shouldn’t take to much effort for the developers as the ground is already done and it’s just an expansion of empty space and programming the objectives and AI.

Jakku from the campaign would be a welcome addition, there is a small flying segment while that enormous battle is going on in the skies above Jakku.
  • hsf_
    1912 posts Member

I will make sure it does not.
  • Another bump for visibility.

- Thrux

No, I don't think that is it, @IronSoldier just doing his job, unpleasant as it may be at times, still has to do it. Could be mistaken but I don't think there is a mod or Dev that thinks SA doesn't need any new content. @F8RGE is supposed to be a big fan of the mode so hopefully he is fighting to get us more SA content.
    Many agree this should be a megathread but we are still in the loitering stage when it comes to SA. I understand EA/DICE may have their reasons for the radio silence re: SA but EA/DICE is flying on the edge of disaster if whatever new SA content is released does not turn out to be worth the wait. The word kamikaze comes to mind.
    Lets just keep discussing the mode and bumping this thread. As some examples, I think the TIE and Hyena bomber missile barrage could use a buff, arcade maps are too small, we'd like skins for star fighters, new star fighters, new maps/locations and so on, since we've been doing when hsf_ started this thread on 1/26/18. Despite the frustrations from lack of SA content and communication, lets continue to be adults and keep this thread clean and civil as we have been for almost a year. Play by the rules and we won't have any problems. It would be a shame to have this thread locked after the many pages of well thought out suggestions, commentary and feedback that has been provided by the community for close to a year now, went away.
    Lets keep commenting with ideas, suggestions and the feedback. Punch it!
    #StarWars-y
  • Still wishing we could lock s-foils for speed
  • Looking at the thread, sure we need to keep it clean. I believe they prefer not having to shut it down following some bad behaviour here...

Looking at the barrage, what's the problem? I don't get killed very often by barrages. To be fair, just a few times. I mostly play as interceptor, sor when a missile is following me, either I use the boost to unlock it, either I do a few circles at full speed and loose them once again. The issue is not to be shooted by the main weapon when doing circles. When I play as fighter, I have to use the circle ethod but most of the time, barrage missiles don't one shot if your R2 is repairing the ***** so that's an other trick. As bomber, you don't care about barrage missiles if you have all your life. But as I said, I mostly play interceptor and barrage missile is not that much a concern.

That's funny they adapt the size of the aim circle depending on how far away is the foe since the update. I'm quite sure the aim assistance is still the same, so that reducing the size of the circle just help us to shoot the hit box and not all around the foe at long range.