criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

Starfighter Assault Thread

Replies

• Question: did they fix matchmaking?
    I ask because I played a bunch of Starfighter Assault today after being away from the game for a while and it seemed that most games were pretty fairly matched. I was on the same team as another player and we pretty much dominated. When we went to the next map, that player was on the other team and there were a few other player swaps and the games became a lot more competitive and stayed that way for quite a while. After every two games, when the map changed, there were more player swaps.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    Question: did they fix matchmaking?
    I ask because I played a bunch of Starfighter Assault today after being away from the game for a while and it seemed that most games were pretty fairly matched. I was on the same team as another player and we pretty much dominated. When we went to the next map, that player was on the other team and there were a few other player swaps and the games became a lot more competitive and stayed that way for quite a while. After every two games, when the map changed, there were more player swaps.

Yes. The balancing is much better now, EOR still trolls in many times to send half of the team from a full server to an empty one.
    7f00tf151vum.png
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• Chem0
    182 posts Member
    That spawn timer needs to go imo. It ruins the flow of the SA.
    Also new maps would be awesome. Game mode is great but has gotten stale without new maps.
  • @F8RGE Can a dev please explain the purpose of the spawn timer in the SA mode? Many agree the spawn timer is unnecessary as it interferes with immersion and game flow. (I should have included removing the SA spawn timer in your first survey of 2019) Also will we be seeing the N1 available soon or the addition of any new star fighters or hero ships? Any flight testing going on? Any communication allowed regarding new maps?
    Can we please start the year 2019 off right and get some official communication regarding SA?
    #StarWars-y
  • Chem0 wrote: »
    That spawn timer needs to go imo. It ruins the flow of the SA.
    Also new maps would be awesome. Game mode is great but has gotten stale without new maps.

Spawn timer is good for the attacking team when noobs die everytime. It limits the number of ship they loose >:)

By the way, I don't like it. When you respawn, you select your heroe, but you can't jump in because of the timer. And by the end of it, someone jumped into it and there is no heroe ship anymore to jump in... This timer just let us think we can get it. But indeed we can't...
  • No idea why the spawn timer is even there. You tend to spawn way outside of the battle zone so it's like a double whammy.
  • grimmace2 wrote: »
    No idea why the spawn timer is even there. You tend to spawn way outside of the battle zone so it's like a double whammy.

Exactly.
    #StarWars-y
  • Just found out this comment on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/adkebr/comment/edkdjk2/?st=JQPSO0C4&sh=b28cd649

I just don't know what to say about that :(
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • I played last night for the first time in probably 6-7-8 months. I’m was actually pretty fun, I even got 2nd place.

I used to play semi-regularly but for whatever reason just kind of stopped playing SFA
    PSN: DarthLando-
  • Gold_Cpt_Vander
    53 posts Member
    edited January 14
    Maybe checkout: https://battlefrontstats.com/gamemodes.php
    SFA is far from dead but the other modes are played by more players and also more matches per day.

So when putting an hour work into GA or HvV it is 10-20 times more appealing to the playerbase then when to put into SFA.
  • jonci
    1229 posts Member
    grimmace2 wrote: »
    No idea why the spawn timer is even there. You tend to spawn way outside of the battle zone so it's like a double whammy.

Noticed an increase in spawn campers getting to be too regular now, easier for them to get in there due to the length of time it takes to re-spawn.
    I spend more time clearing the garbage out rather than going to attack objectives lately, shamefully a very well known European player does it and claims he is god at the mode, he turret farms n spawn camps, shot him down quit often in the spawn zone.
  • bfloo
    15936 posts Member
    Seronax wrote: »
    Rook008 wrote: »
    Question: did they fix matchmaking?

Yes. The balancing is much better now, EOR still trolls in many times to send half of the team from a full server to an empty one.
    7f00tf151vum.png

I tried getting into sa a week or 2 ago, but this happened between every map and backing out and reloading put me on Kamino every time and I lost interest.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• jonci wrote: »

Noticed an increase in spawn campers getting to be too regular now, easier for them to get in there due to the length of time it takes to re-spawn.
    I spend more time clearing the garbage out rather than going to attack objectives lately, shamefully a very well known European player does it and claims he is god at the mode, he turret farms n spawn camps, shot him down quit often in the spawn zone.

I’ve noticed that too. Not the European player, I mean, just the spawn camping. It’s a dreadful artefact of respawn timer.

If I get spawn camped (against all odds, I’d like to add :smile: ) I make it my mission to destroy the offender as much as I can.
  • Let's get some HYPE for 3xXP Starfighters this weekend! Need to level some more hero ships!

I would like to offer the following suggestion, in an effort to help us all have an enjoyable event:

Please START by trying to get in to Hero Starfighters FIRST, if no luck, proceed to SA. If you do get in to a Hero SA match, PLEASE STAY, at least until the credit collection screen end of match. Call it a gentlemen's (person's?) agreement for this weekend, so we can keep the mode populated and productive.

Addendum: If you are trying to level base ships, by all means, start in SA.

Thanks everyone, can't wait to see you all in the stars!
  • bfloo
    15936 posts Member
    edited January 14
    Let's get some HYPE for 3xXP Starfighters this weekend! Need to level some more hero ships!

I would like to offer the following suggestion, in an effort to help us all have an enjoyable event:

Please START by trying to get in to Hero Starfighters FIRST, if no luck, proceed to SA. If you do get in to a Hero SA match, PLEASE STAY, at least until the credit collection screen end of match. Call it a gentlemen's (person's?) agreement for this weekend, so we can keep the mode populated and productive.

Addendum: If you are trying to level base ships, by all means, start in SA.

Thanks everyone, can't wait to see you all in the stars!

I'll pass, the last gentlemens agreement I got into was tusken emoting after every boshank kill and I only saw 2 other people ever do it
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

That's got to be red baron lol
    The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. - Qui-Gon Jinn
    Never tell me the odds. - Han Solo
  • Be prepared for unplayable lag in the SFA vanilla mode this weekend...

pH
  • jonci
    1229 posts Member
    jonci wrote: »

As an ex member of the clan you and Wild Peasant aka Seronax are members of (my in game tag is not the one i use here, and we have actually spoken on the old clan channel in discord, when i tried to set up a European Sqn for it) your reply is correct, also his little cluster of happy Sycophantic followers do the same. Oh i forgot to mention they don't do objectives either classing an early finished game as a victory, whilst yes technically it is i see many games not get through to 2nd or 3rd phases as a result of reduced ticket numbers due to the spawn camping.
    If this is the type of game play that they are being taught then we need to get the spawn areas set as a no go area.

As an ex member of the clan you and Wild Peasant aka Seronax are members of (my in game tag is not the one i use here, and we have actually spoken on the old clan channel in discord, when i tried to set up a European Sqn for it) your reply is correct, also his little cluster of happy Sycophantic followers do the same. Oh i forgot to mention they don't do objectives either classing an early finished game as a victory, whilst yes technically it is i see many games not get through to 2nd or 3rd phases as a result of reduced ticket numbers due to the spawn camping.
    If this is the type of game play that they are being taught then we need to get the spawn areas set as a no go area.

Are you talking about PC or consoles? Just to know if I'll have to deal with that in PS4 (since I'm playing in the Europe servers) this weekend.
  • Will try to queue some Hero Starfighters.
    Where else you will have to chance to fight vs a lvl 22 Kylo. :)
  • Phyrebrat
    832 posts Member
    edited January 15
    Will try to queue some Hero Starfighters.

Congratulations Sir, you just brought the thread to 1k. :smile:

Maybe that’s the magic number required for the basic courtesy of a response from The Company.

pH

What platform is he playing?
  • jonci
    1229 posts Member
    The Scape and Mokem, Gents
    I was talking PC, but spawn camping is something to watch out for even on console.
  • Will try to queue some Hero Starfighters.

If you're patient, on PS4, you can get in heroes starfighters quite often. And some guys are really good! But I don't have any heroes fighter level 40 yet. My best one being Poe with a level 32...

Nevertheless, I still don't understand why some are crashing just after the beginning of the match... Want to upgrade their normal fighters?!?
  • 21 pages and not one dev comment, very very poor

He has already answered the question on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/adkebr/please_dice_dont_abandon_starfighter_assault/
  • hilapff wrote: »

If you're patient, on PS4, you can get in heroes starfighters quite often. And some guys are really good! But I don't have any heroes fighter level 40 yet. My best one being Poe with a level 32...

Nevertheless, I still don't understand why some are crashing just after the beginning of the match... Want to upgrade their normal fighters?!?

Some people are going for the "Kill a Hero Ship with a Fighter" milestone. I got mine during normal SA, but I would assume it's much easier to achieve when every other ship you're shooting at is a hero ship ;)
  • grimmace2 wrote: »
    hilapff wrote: »

Some people are going for the "Kill a Hero Ship with a Fighter" milestone. I got mine during normal SA, but I would assume it's much easier to achieve when every other ship you're shooting at is a hero ship ;)

I forgot about that one... Quite easy to get in normal starfighter assault. I'm strugling for the kill with missiles of Han's Falcon and Kylo's TIE right now. I'm nearly done with Iden's TIE barrage and missiles, and with Lando's Falcon. Every other milestone are already done. The barrage is quite difficult for every ships. Same for the 50 kills with rockets. Everything else goes easily if using the ship.
  • Yeah. My last three SF milestones are getting the missile kills with Silencer, Han Falcon and Slave 1.

My hero milestones however - rotflmao - I have a looong way to go.

pH
  • For missile kills with a Hero ship, play regular SA and target the enemy reinforcements that spawn in threes. They usually have an "Attack" marker attached to them. Their spawn locations are predictable and the other enemies are usually too busy with other stuff to protect their own reinforcements.
  • Thanks. I’ve been scabbing with AI but they’re a little more evasive than the DICESHOOTER ones.

Good advice.

ph

Bullseye lol but I'm probably also guilty for spawn killing and not playing the objectives I tend to really focus on the kills. :s
    I'm not part of IGF though I'm just in the discord and have fun playing with them, my allegiance is elsewhere. ^^
    The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. - Qui-Gon Jinn
    Never tell me the odds. - Han Solo
  • You're welcome, but I actually read about that method here on the forums ages ago. I was struggling with the missile kills and wanted to get them over with. I ended up getting lucky with the enemy Bombers that spawned way out on the edge of the map on Ryloth, softening them up with Blasters then hitting them with missiles before they got close to the actual fight and the protection of the other players. There's usually an area like that on most maps, you just have to find it and stay out there long enough to get a few kills per Hero ship.
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    You're welcome, but I actually read about that method here on the forums ages ago. I was struggling with the missile kills and wanted to get them over with. I ended up getting lucky with the enemy Bombers that spawned way out on the edge of the map on Ryloth, softening them up with Blasters then hitting them with missiles before they got close to the actual fight and the protection of the other players. There's usually an area like that on most maps, you just have to find it and stay out there long enough to get a few kills per Hero ship.

Just to add, on phases/maps where they don't spawn (because they are on your team or whatever) you can also target regular AI ships. They are usually dumb enough and have low HP and they spawn for each faction on every map. It's also easier if you are using a small Hero ship that doesn't scream "shoot me please".
  • Yeah, targeting the AI is probably the best way to get those particular types of kills.
  • hsf_
    1911 posts Member
    The Scape and Mokem, Gents
    I was talking PC, but spawn camping is something to watch out for even on console.

Pretty sure I know who you're on about. Is this guy from Germany by any chance and names himself after a world war 1 pilot ace?
  • hsf_
    1911 posts Member
    edited January 23
    DavDerling wrote: »
    Is that good news for us? Wondering what it means for SFA?

"https://t.co/5wHWXkPg3a">pic.twitter.com/5wHWXkPg3a</a></p>&mdash; "

Hope we'll get some updates in the near future. Would be great to see new content for this mode eventually. Or is it just for the New Mode which hopefully includes starfighters!

Well they certainly NEED to cater to the pilots of the game. You can't have Star Wars without them unless it's an RPG game.

Maybe in the Titan mode, you will get a new class of soldier called "Pilot" that has no abilities and only a pistol, but can jump into any vehicle(including Starfighters).
  • Just what I need, something else to get my hopes up ;) I'm going to do myself a favor this time though: dig a hole, put the bar in it, and be surprised if literally anything new is introduced for SA. I've found that as I get older, I like pleasant surprises more than I like crushing disappointment.
  • Gold_Cpt_Vander
    53 posts Member
    edited January 23
    The Battlefield 2142 Titan mode had like gliders which are transporters and some kind of 2seat attack helicopters.

Both were a little tricky to fly sometimes. And from the transport flyers the teammates could jump on the enemy titan.

Perfect fit for an clone laat.
  • DavDerling wrote: »
    Is that good news for us? Wondering what it means for SFA?

"https://t.co/5wHWXkPg3a">pic.twitter.com/5wHWXkPg3a</a></p>&mdash; "

Hope we'll get some updates in the near future. Would be great to see new content for this mode eventually. Or is it just for the New Mode which hopefully includes starfighters!

Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing. I don't know what to make of @F8RGE 's tweet. Maybe new maps, ported campaign or SWBF 15 maps, maybe new star fighters like the B-wing or TIE Defender or new hero ships like Obi Wan's Delta7, nobody knows except for DICE. What I do know is new SA content is needed.
    #StarWars-y
  • We can only hope.
  • I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but keep in mind that Ben is the GM for Need for Speed and Star Wars and as far as I know... Criterion developed a few racing games (including some Need for Speed ones).
  • DavDerling
    21 posts Member
    edited January 23
    TheScape wrote: »
    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but keep in mind that Ben is the GM for Need for Speed and Star Wars and as far as I know... Criterion developed a few racing games (including some Need for Speed ones).

I didn't knew that (not my kind of games...). That would of course make sense as well. Thanks for bringing this up but one can hope. Also I'm also going with this attitude:
    Just what I need, something else to get my hopes up ;) I'm going to do myself a favor this time though: dig a hole, put the bar in it, and be surprised if literally anything new is introduced for SA. I've found that as I get older, I like pleasant surprises more than I like crushing disappointment.
    Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing. I don't know what to make of @F8RGE 's tweet. Maybe new maps, ported campaign or SWBF 15 maps, maybe new star fighters like the B-wing or TIE Defender or new hero ships like Obi Wan's Delta7, nobody knows except for DICE. What I do know is new SA content is needed.

Thanks, longtime lurker though. ;)

Guess we'll have to see whats in the big mode regarding SFA. We'll find out within the next few weeks luckily. I'd love more content though for the actual mode. But I guess with limited resources and 20 to 1 ratio between GA and SFA (https://battlefrontstats.com/article.php?id=QuarterOfAMillion) it might be difficult to motivate them to invest in this mode.
    But with more content this numbers might actually change. Would love to see them support to the new movie (I hope there will be a big space battle in EP IX) as well as the new animated series Resistance (which is about starfighter pilots) and the new TCW and The Mandolorian series.

Endless posibilities but:
    DaxStorm wrote: »
    We can only hope.

And starfighter customization (like its planned for the clones) and emotes (https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/115801/why-not-emotes-for-sfa#latest) could also add to the revenue of the game.

• Personally, I won't be getting my hopes up, but SA could definitely use some love. New maps, TIE defenders, B-wings, need more!

Played a lot back when I was completing milestones months ago. I hopped right back in a few weeks ago to get ready for triple xp, and I had forgotten how much fun it was. The same 6 maps do get a little stale though.
  • TheScape wrote: »
    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but keep in mind that Ben is the GM for Need for Speed and Star Wars and as far as I know... Criterion developed a few racing games (including some Need for Speed ones).

Ah, that makes sense and thanks. As for being the bearer of bad news, SA communication is always appreciated even if it might not be what we want to hear.
    #StarWars-y
  • eb54hw4hgswr.jpeg
    h9pnvcxbxakx.jpg
    rhmz4rtp3eho.jpg

#StarWars-y
  • eb54hw4hgswr.jpeg
    h9pnvcxbxakx.jpg
    rhmz4rtp3eho.jpg

Perfection. I wonder if we can get some word on this? At least an official response? You did it for the cross/authentic group, why not the Starfighter pilots?
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• No offence but I want new maps. New ships? No thanks at this time. I don't need a few new re-skins of Yoda's Starfighter being labelled as Obi-Wan/Anakin's star fighter, let alone one ship which never appeared in any of the movies at all.
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • No offence but I want new maps. New ships? No thanks at this time. I don't need a few new re-skins of Yoda's Starfighter being labelled as Obi-Wan/Anakin's star fighter, let alone one ship which never appeared in any of the movies at all.

None taken. I want new maps, campaign maps or SWBF 15 maps over new star fighters as well. Still it would have been nice to see this on a Geonosis SA map.
    0vcps1toipeh.png
    #StarWars-y