criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Starfighter Assault Thread

Replies

• TALON1138 wrote: »
    It just needs more content, it has been pretty much untouched since launch, with only minor additions based on movie releases such as the maps for The Last Jedi and the Solo version of the Falcon. It is desperately in need of a little TLC, so I'd say new content is the first thing most required, new maps to keep it fresh. There are still many vehicles from the movies yet to be utilised here, and also EU vessels that could be used if there was a gap in the arsenal of a faction that needed plugging. So I'll make a few suggestions here for what I feel needs to happen, and ideally what I would love to see too. First and easiest fix though is to lessen the XP needed to level up Hero ships to call it a grind would be a massive understatement, I've been playing this game since launch and quite heavily play Starfighter Assault as well as the other modes, and though I have maxed out all soldier classes, and most Heroes that I play regularly, in Starfighter Assault, although I have maxed out all starfighter classes I have barely made a dent in the Hero ships, those that I play regularly are getting up there, but, man it just seems like an insane grind, especially when you compare it to Hero character progression, it is definitely something that needs to be looked at, especially when fully maxed out Hero ships do so much better than vanilla or partially unlocked Hero craft. So that is an easy fix there that definitely needs to happen.
    Okay, on to new content, I'll start with maps, let's just get some new maps out there and keep things fresh, also change up the gameplay contextually in these maps to once again, keep things fresh, so it isn't pretty much the same gameplay in a different skin, Starfighter Assault map scenarios are quite varied to be fair, but we just need that to continue with any new maps, if not become even more diverse.

Original Trilogy:

So much content here yet to mine, it is almost criminal. With the announcement of Scarif's return to the game in the near future, how about re-releasing the Scarif space map from Star Wars Battlefront 1? That was a sound map, and should be an easy port. I'd also like maybe a twist on the Capital Supremacy mode where instead of a ground battle and then a raid on an enemy capital ship, how about a space battle and then the capital ship incursion? This would be a more natural fit for the mode in my eyes. With Scarif it could be really interesting. The Rebels could send a strike team to the Shield gate installation, and the Empire could raid General Raddus's flagship. Rather than capturing flags to get to the raid stage, the factions have to get so many kills to get there.

Battle of Yavin/Death Star I & Battle of Endor (space)/Death Star II: Let's see a movie accurate depiction of these epic battles. With Yavin you could have multiple stages, high orbit dogfights to start with, Rebels have to get so many kills to get to the next stage, followed by a near to surface battle where the Rebels have to take out a number of Deflection Towers to finally expose the trench to attack. Have the trench exposure on a timer, if the Rebels don't make the critical shot within that time? Shields go back up and the Rebels have to take out more Deflection Towers.

With Endor, have capital ships added to the mix, have the Rebels have to disable the Executor, while the Empire has to take down Home One, but have other smaller cap ships in the mix too, standard Star Destroyers, Blockade Runners, Nebulon-B Frigates and the like, and of course, let's finally get some B-Wings in there. When we were doing our Star Wars mod for Battlefield 2142, First Strike back in the day, we managed to successfully implement B-Wings, and they made for great and fun ships to play, so I don't know why they've not got them here. Perhaps also give players the option to man capital ship point defense turrets if they'd like, that could add an interesting new dynamic to the game. Once the Rebels take down the Executor, via the destruction of key systems and climaxing with a hit on an unshielded bridge, then the action can move to the Death Star surface and a run through the superstructure to the core with Rebels having to take out that target Wedge hits, before they can concentrate their fire on the reactor core itself. The design of both these battles is already structured great for gameplay, don't alter them, just adapt them as is for gameplay.

Additionally something we did with First Strike was do an Escape from Hoth map, which is quite similar to what they did with Scarif, only in this case we're talking about Rebel Transports running the Imperial blockade to escape a world rather than invade it. We had a Star Destroyer in orbit, periodic ion cannon fire from the surface, and starfighters battling it out to destroy or protect the transports. What was nice about our version of this map was that the Imperial TIE Fighters actually launched from the ISD's hangars which was nice for immersion. You even spawned on foot on the TIE racks, and ran to your ships, with TIE Fighters or Bombers to choose from. Rebels spawned in space with either X or Y-Wings, or could choose to pilot a transport. We added two gunners similar to the Falcon's set up, so you could also spawn as a gunner, and switch between seats on the ship as needed, so you could have a full crew of three on a transport, or have a gunner switching seats depending on where he was needed to defend the ship. The Star Destroyer would effectively be disabled by the ion cannon fire coming from the surface, so the fighters were deployed to intercept the transports, though between salvos of ion cannon fire, the ISD's cannons would become operational again for short periods of time, so they'd be able to take a few shots at the approaching transports on occasion, so the pilot would have to decide whether to risk a path over the top of the Destroyer and risk getting hit by it's heavy guns, or go beneath and become an easier target for the launching TIE Fighters, was a really fun map. Once the Transports got past the blockade they'd have to make it to the hyperspace jump point, and then they'd make the jump to safety, map is won or lost depending on how many Transports successfully escape.

And then there are multiple fictional scenarios that can be created for cool map possibilities. We did a capital ship battle scenario which had you in command of a fleet of starfighters and smaller capital ships going at it head to head, you could command any of these ships and crew them with multiple players, pilots and gunners. The pilots would have command of the capital ship's main heavy guns, and gunners would be in control of point defense turrets and defend the vessel from enemy starfighters. We also added in functionality of the Rebel Transport/Imperial Bulk Freighter being a logistics and resupply unit. So starfighters and bombers who had survived long enough to use all their ordnance could return to this ship, hover in it's vicinity and get resupplied for another run, and also receive accelerated repairs, as could any capital ship from that faction. So this ship suddenly became a very tactical ship worth taking out over the more offensive capital ships. We had the Rebels bringing Nebulon-B Frigates and Corvettes to the party, while for the Imperial faction we hit up the EU for inspiration, and had them using the aforementioned Bulk Freighter, and then Carrack and Lancer class cruisers. Having players in control of starfighters and capital ships makes for an interesting and dynamic bit of gameplay, where solid teamwork and tactics are key.

In addition to this we looked at some boarding action maps, again, similar to Capital Supremacy in nature, but a little different with an attacking and defending faction scenario. So inspired by some lore from the old X-Wing game we did a map where the Alliance had captured an installation and the Empire were looking to get it back, the installation was an Imperial space station, but a smaller one, the like of which we saw often in that classic game. The Rebels had to defend it with a small fleet of light capital ships, Nebulon-<3 <3<3<3 Corvettes and a Transport for logistics, and the squadrons of starfighters they had stationed at the space station which had multiple hangars and pads to launch from, and the Empire had deployed a strike fleet to retake the installation, Carrack and Lancer class cruisers, and a Bulk Freighter for logistics. The Empire would also deploy Lambda and Sentinel class shuttles as landers which had to cut through the space battle to land on one of the station's landing pads so it could deploy it's troops. Once landed these ships were effectively spawn points giving the Empire a beachhead on the station to mount an infantry assault on the station, so it would be critical to take these ships out before they arrived at the station, and if they managed to land it would be critical to destroy them before too many Imperial troops could spawn. This lead to some really dynamic gameplay, as Imperial troops attempt to capture the hangars and gain a true foothold on the station and force more Rebel players to switch roles from space defense to infantry defense within the station. So there could be battles occurring on the station while the space battle rages outside, a truly dynamic Star Wars battle experience. The battle is won by the Imperials once they take all the CPs on the station and recapture that installation. The Rebels win if they can hold off the invasion long enough for their space forces to take out the Imperial strike fleet. If all capital ships are destroyed the lander craft will no longer spawn in, and they have to manage to retake any CPs on the station captured by the Empire.

Lastly for this era I'll note another fun X-Wing game inspired map we did. Imperial Convoy Raid. The scenario involves an Alliance raid on an Imperial supply convoy of Bulk Freighters. A Nebulon-B is present for resupply and logistics, and X & Y-Wings are deployed to destroy the convoy, unfortunately it turns out to be a trap and the convoy is defended by the Empire's new advanced starfighters, the TIE Defender. So you get a scenario where the win or loss is determined by how many Bulk Freighters remain by the time the tickets are spent.

And that is about it for the Original Trilogy era, lot's of potential material for Starfighter Assault in there, both taken from the movies directly, and inspired by them.

With the Prequel Trilogy, there are also a number of sequences that would lend themselves well to a Starfighter Assault map. Naboo Space, similar to what we have with the Ryloth map, though with added hangar based shenanigans, only Naboo N-1 starfighters and Trade Federation Vulture Droids available to be lore accurate, since the war properly hadn't started yet, but I guess you could make it a battle that happened later in Naboo orbit rather than the one that happens in Episode I and have Republic forces and Separatist forces included too, but then I feel it wouldn't be that distinctively different to the Ryloth map we already have. Limiting the resources to those available in the movie would make it a more authentic experience. A Geonosis Space map could be good, taking place in the asteroid belt with dynamic moving asteroids that get effected by Jango Fett's charges, that would be awesome. This could be a battle in orbit during the battle of Geonosis below, so could feature Separatist forces vs the Republic, perhaps with Acclimator cruisers instead of Venators? Though I'd be fine if it was just the standard Prequel faction set up. And the last must have Prequel space map has to be Coruscant Space, that would be just epic as a standard Starfighter Assault map, with all those capital ships and starfighters whizzing about, but also would be perfect for a space Capital Supremacy map, with starfighter combat followed by a boarding action of the Separatist or Republic Dreadnought. Total no-brainer to get this map out there, it is practically exactly what happens in the movie (unless it goes the other way and the Republic cruiser gets boarded that is).

For the Sequel Trilogy you have the space/air battle above Starkiller Base, the air battle over Takodana, the Resistance assault on the First Order Dreadnought from the beginning of The Last Jedi, perhaps some map based around that daft slow motion space chase between the Raddus and Supremacy? First Order starfighters trying to break the Raddus's shields with a distant Supremacy (beyond the map boundary) firing turbolaser fire at the Resistance fleet. Make it a pure Starfighter Assault map with the Raddus as the main objective with the rest of the fleet as secondary targets, or introduce a one sided boarding element to it similar to the space station map I outlined above, with First Order Troop Transports landing on the Raddus to initiate a CQB infantry battle phase. From The Rise of Skywalker you could have a space battle involving that Ice Planet from earlier in the movie, and then the end battle with the Sith Fleet, again, purely Starfighter Assault, or with objective based Supremacy style gameplay. Will certainly be unique having an infantry battle on the hull of a Star Destroyer.

I think that's about it for new maps, as for new vehicles there could certainly be a few introduced contextually depending on the map, especially those introducing playable light capital ships (a pipe dream, I know, but no harm in dreaming), and other ships that just make sense to add based on the current game mode model. So fully playable U-Wings and LAATi Gunships, Separatist Gunships, Lambda & Sentinel Shuttles, Resistance & First Order Troop Transports, B-Wing Starfighters, Resistance Y-Wings, Resistance Bombers, Sith TIE Daggers. And for Hero ships, Kenobi's Jedi Interceptor, Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, Grevious's Starfighter Wedge's X-Wing (different abilities to Luke's, maybe a similar layout to Poe's X-Wing), maybe some new skins, Jango Fett style Slave-1, Kenobi having Episode II & III versions of the Jedi Starfighter, Kylo getting his TROS ship as a new skin for his TIE Silencer. If playable light capital ships were to be implemented, playable Corellian Corvette, Nebulon-B Frigate, Galofree Transport, Imperial Bulk Cruiser, Carrack & Lancer class cruisers, or maybe those light cruisers already in the game that were introduced in The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series.

I think that's about it from me, a list of what needs to happen in Starfighter Assault, coupled with some would be nice to have elements. Either way it is clear the mode is in need of a little TLC to keep the mode fresh, healthy and alive.
    Epic ideas, I dearly wish they would deliver on just a fraction of this.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • killerzf7 wrote: »
    BlueSpy3DO wrote: »
    Not sure who started these but this is a great foundation, maybe add in a transport class as well with LAAT’s, Droid Gunships, Lamda shuttles, ect.

24kp75jv262d.jpeg
    xnw753sancvc.jpeg

That was me!

I’m the one who made those concepts!

Thanks for appreciating them! :)

Great job! Sadly they don’t share the same creativity in SA content as you have
  • Final Order fighters should be added.

Played some time last night. Man is it fun to use fighters. People still dedicated to the mode. Amazing to think considering that the last map for it came out like what ? 2 years ago ?
  • CeymalRen wrote: »
    Also is it just me or is Starfighter arcade broken? The enemy fighters just go out of bounds and since I cant kill them they don't re spawn. The last minutes of the game there is literally no way I can kill any AI.

Arcade for starfighters simply sucks... It's like it doesn't exist. Maybe just a little bit ok for trying cards, but that's it.
  • Does anyone noticed an improvement in tracking of ion missiles and damage from tanks against starfighters?
  • Genin wrote: »
    Does anyone noticed an improvement in tracking of ion missiles and damage from tanks against starfighters?

Haven't played in a while, but would be heavily surprised if they would have done this.

Also - bump, jo_achim747 standing by
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/
    Does anyone noticed an improvement in tracking of ion missiles and damage from tanks against starfighters?

Haven't played in a while, but would be heavily surprised if they would have done this.

Probably I'm too much confident, but when I noticed this, I start to think that MAYBE that's because they want to put starfighters on scarif. So they are trying to fit starfighters in the mode, without making infantry players complain about that.
    Genin wrote: »

Probably I'm too much confident, but when I noticed this, I start to think that MAYBE that's because they want to put starfighters on scarif. So they are trying to fit starfighters in the mode, without making infantry players complain about that.

although many of us would love that, I strongly doubt that unfortunately
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/
  • Such a great mode. Just needs more content.
  • Fingers crossed that we get a bone thrown our way when Scarif launches. Shield gate would be a great addition for the flyboys (and girls).
  • nc5mhenx5hex.png
    Grand Admiral Thrawn's Destroyer 'The Chimaera' the flagship of The Seventh Fleet over Lothal would be a cool SFA map. Especially since Hera led the Rebel Alliance into battle against Thrawn's fleet above Lothal.
    Ahsoka for Battlefront 2. Kanan Jarrus for Battlefront 2.
    rcar0gljuaad.png
    Kanan is more of your cool kinda Jedi... not so weird/wise as most of the Jedi were like on the council. Kanan also owned a cantina at some point before he met Hera.
  • It's weird how some people don't want to play starfighters... Till they do a couple of matches.
    I had 3 people that I use to party with for playn battlefront that didn't want to try starfighters (2 of them had the game since d1). One night we almost force them to try it... Now the are the one who ask to play the mode!
  • CeymalRen
    1782 posts Member
    edited February 20
    Grievous15 wrote: »
    nc5mhenx5hex.png
    Grand Admiral Thrawn's Destroyer 'The Chimaera' the flagship of The Seventh Fleet over Lothal would be a cool SFA map. Especially since Hera led the Rebel Alliance into battle against Thrawn's fleet above Lothal.

Yeah. Cool stuff. :)
    Post edited by CeymalRen on
  • Gotta love that the modes with threads with the most replies have seen no attention from DICE. Bravo. So Star War, much development.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • ❤️ SA!
  • Bump for starfighters contents!
  • Daily bump? Sure - bump.

• Let me fly a TIE striker in a Star Wars video game, I deserve it
    2s5j6ncmyfod.png

[+3748 posts]
  • Relmets wrote: »
    Let me fly a TIE striker in a Star Wars video game, I deserve it
    2s5j6ncmyfod.png

If they would finally decide to put starfighters in supremacy, that should be present for sure on scarif.
  • Alwe15
    2400 posts Member
    killerzf7 wrote: »
    Hey guys, it’s your fellow pilot here.

So I made a post over on Reddit saying how the moderators of BF2 have made some amazing mods, and it features the Space Battle of Coruscant.

Would you mind giving the post an upvote so that more people would see it and realize the great potential of Starfighter content in this game?

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/f8r5pc/i_swear_to_god_the_mods_that_exist_in_bf2_are/

There’s also a little survey that I have going on asking if people would actually like to see a Starfighter Supremacy like mode.

Please vote if you’re able to.

https://strawpoll.com/zxgr2ge9

Unfortunately, I fear that this is too little too late. Wish we'd thought of this a year ago. 😔
  • killerzf7 wrote: »
    Hey guys, it’s your fellow pilot here.

So I made a post over on Reddit saying how the moderators of BF2 have made some amazing mods, and it features the Space Battle of Coruscant.

Would you mind giving the post an upvote so that more people would see it and realize the great potential of Starfighter content in this game?

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/f8r5pc/i_swear_to_god_the_mods_that_exist_in_bf2_are/

There’s also a little survey that I have going on asking if people would actually like to see a Starfighter Supremacy like mode.

Please vote if you’re able to.

https://strawpoll.com/zxgr2ge9

Did it!! :)
    Always support starfighters!!
  • Relmets wrote: »
    You will fail to capture the aesthetic of warfare on Scarif if you do not include starfighters for the large mode

1aivc0f7wrun.gif

Take that Ties! lol.
    Ahsoka for Battlefront 2. Kanan Jarrus for Battlefront 2.
    rcar0gljuaad.png
    Kanan is more of your cool kinda Jedi... not so weird/wise as most of the Jedi were like on the council. Kanan also owned a cantina at some point before he met Hera.
  • We've lost the differing cost for era and non era "hero" fighters :-(
    Relmets wrote: »
    You will fail to capture the aesthetic of warfare on Scarif if you do not include starfighters for the large mode

1aivc0f7wrun.gif

I'm really, REALLY hoping that we'll see starfighters on Scarif...

At least the U-Wing...
  • Stay on attack position !
  • Stay on attack position !

Copy that!
  • Let’s fly!

I would! But the servers....

that is damn cool....

• If they don't give us new maps, at least they can try to port old BF 2015 maps... :(