criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

The Officer’s Intended Role

d0kRX
1302 posts Member
I've written a novel about the officer's intended role. If you want to read it, open the spoiler, if not see the TLDR below.
I’ve seen many arguments around the forum about the officer’s weapons, abilities, and role. Most of them have been about adjustments that may be needed to the class, and a lot of them base these adjustments on the officer being a “support role only.” Well, I am here to show you that the officer is not meant to be a “support role only.”
First, let’s start with what the Developers have given us about the officer class from their own website.
From the page with a short description of all four classes it says:
Officers make their allies stronger. They apply powerful buffs to surrounding soldiers. They're the lynchpins holding teams together, using their Abilities to help everyone around them fight more effectively.
From the officer page it says:
Officers use their Abilities to help everyone around them fight more effectively and directly affect the tactical situation by employing powerful automated weapons.
It would be good to note that they call officers the “heart of the team,” on this page.
It also says on the officer page that their specialty is “support,” that their team roles are “Strengthening teammates, battlefield control,” and that their durability is “moderate.”
Last it mentions a couple of examples of star cards for the officer, the turret and a description of battle command,
Battle Command Fortitude: Issue a Battle Command that inspires friendly soldiers in your vicinity to push themselves harder, effectively making them able to withstand more damage. You get the same effect yourself if you command at least one friendly player with your Battle Command.
Second, a couple things from the game itself. In the collection under officer, it states
The officer can heal and provide support to teammates.
Additionally, a quick glance at their star cards shows that three, maybe four of them can cause damage, the rest just give relatively passive boosts to certain aspects of the officer.
Now that we’ve seen what they’ve given us for the officer and their own descriptions about the class, lets discuss the intended role of the officer.
A lynchpin according to google is
a person or thing vital to an enterprise or organization
the above shows that the officer plays an important role in supporting teammates AND holding down an objective. Lynchpins are very vital, so the developers intended the officer to be vital. When the developers wrote these descriptions, they intended the officer to be able to hold AND control an objective area, so it makes sense that they were given strong blasters with which to control objectives.
Based on these descriptions, I cannot accept that the officer is a “support only,” and that many adjustments are needed. The officer should be supporting their troops, they should be controlling an area as long as they can with powerful pistols until more squad-mates show up.
As I was writing this post, looking up these descriptions, I noticed that the developers wrote that battle commands give the same effect to yourself IF you command at least one friendly player in the command. This would make sense with their intent in making the officer a support that needs to stick close to teammates. However, in game, you can use IBC to get a buff to yourself without teammates inside your command. So I suppose they changed what they intended or maybe it is still their intent for officers to only receive a buff to themselves by commanding at least someone and not get a buff if nobody is commanded.
TLDR: Officers are NOT “support only,” they are intended to be for support AND battlefield control. This is true because on the website it says they are the heart of the team, or the lynchpins of the team. Check the site out, it shows their roles in the battlefront. Also, should an officers battle command give themselves buffs without any teammates around? On the website it appeared that the intent was that officers could only receive buffs by commanding at least one teammate, but in game….

Sources:
PSN: d0kRX

Replies

• It also says employing powerful automated weapons. There is nothing powerful about the turret and it's 2 hour lock on. They also add in the officer helps everyone around them. When they only help the people in front of them.
  • Hrafn_Fel wrote: »
    It also says employing powerful automated weapons. There is nothing powerful about the turret and it's 2 hour lock on. They also add in the officer helps everyone around them. When they only help the people in front of them.

That is probably referring to Officers presence .
  • zLogen wrote: »
    Hrafn_Fel wrote: »
    It also says employing powerful automated weapons. There is nothing powerful about the turret and it's 2 hour lock on. They also add in the officer helps everyone around them. When they only help the people in front of them.

Oh ok I forgot about the health regen and I guess maybe the shield.
  • d0kRX
    1302 posts Member
    zLogen wrote: »

Yeah I think that's what they meant on that one.
  • Id be all for them making officer buffs work on self if at least 1 other is buffed. But I would like it if the cone went away and we got a large circle. It is a pain trying to fight and buff moving people imo.
  • d0kRX
    1302 posts Member
    Id be all for them making officer buffs work on self if at least 1 other is buffed. But I would like it if the cone went away and we got a large circle. It is a pain trying to fight and buff moving people imo.

They wrote it in themselves, I have no idea why they didn't actually make it that way in game. I was kind of surprised when I read it.
  • d0kRX wrote: »
    I've written a novel about the officer's intended role. If you want to read it, open the spoiler, if not see the TLDR below.
    I’ve seen many arguments around the forum about the officer’s weapons, abilities, and role. Most of them have been about adjustments that may be needed to the class, and a lot of them base these adjustments on the officer being a “support role only.” Well, I am here to show you that the officer is not meant to be a “support role only.”
    First, let’s start with what the Developers have given us about the officer class from their own website.
    From the page with a short description of all four classes it says:
    Officers make their allies stronger. They apply powerful buffs to surrounding soldiers. They're the lynchpins holding teams together, using their Abilities to help everyone around them fight more effectively.
    From the officer page it says:
    Officers use their Abilities to help everyone around them fight more effectively and directly affect the tactical situation by employing powerful automated weapons.
    It would be good to note that they call officers the “heart of the team,” on this page.
    It also says on the officer page that their specialty is “support,” that their team roles are “Strengthening teammates, battlefield control,” and that their durability is “moderate.”
    Last it mentions a couple of examples of star cards for the officer, the turret and a description of battle command,
    Battle Command Fortitude: Issue a Battle Command that inspires friendly soldiers in your vicinity to push themselves harder, effectively making them able to withstand more damage. You get the same effect yourself if you command at least one friendly player with your Battle Command.
    Second, a couple things from the game itself. In the collection under officer, it states
    The officer can heal and provide support to teammates.
    Additionally, a quick glance at their star cards shows that three, maybe four of them can cause damage, the rest just give relatively passive boosts to certain aspects of the officer.
    Now that we’ve seen what they’ve given us for the officer and their own descriptions about the class, lets discuss the intended role of the officer.
    A lynchpin according to google is
    a person or thing vital to an enterprise or organization
    the above shows that the officer plays an important role in supporting teammates AND holding down an objective. Lynchpins are very vital, so the developers intended the officer to be vital. When the developers wrote these descriptions, they intended the officer to be able to hold AND control an objective area, so it makes sense that they were given strong blasters with which to control objectives.
    Based on these descriptions, I cannot accept that the officer is a “support only,” and that many adjustments are needed. The officer should be supporting their troops, they should be controlling an area as long as they can with powerful pistols until more squad-mates show up.
    As I was writing this post, looking up these descriptions, I noticed that the developers wrote that battle commands give the same effect to yourself IF you command at least one friendly player in the command. This would make sense with their intent in making the officer a support that needs to stick close to teammates. However, in game, you can use IBC to get a buff to yourself without teammates inside your command. So I suppose they changed what they intended or maybe it is still their intent for officers to only receive a buff to themselves by commanding at least someone and not get a buff if nobody is commanded.
    TLDR: Officers are NOT “support only,” they are intended to be for support AND battlefield control. This is true because on the website it says they are the heart of the team, or the lynchpins of the team. Check the site out, it shows their roles in the battlefront. Also, should an officers battle command give themselves buffs without any teammates around? On the website it appeared that the intent was that officers could only receive buffs by commanding at least one teammate, but in game….

Sources:

I’m just going to say.... thank you. Also great post sir.
  • Not gonna read the novel but I agree officers specialty should be support.
  • d0kRX
    1302 posts Member
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    Not gonna read the novel but I agree officers specialty should be support.

AND controlling an objective area on the battlefield.
  • For the record, upgraded turrets are actually pretty good.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • savemejebus
    339 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    That's alot of mental gymnastics you're asking people to perform in order to accept what is essentially an overpowered class.

We can talk about the semantics behind 'controlling the battlefield' but it's hard to swallow the concept of a support class having the best weapons in the game. Blow away the smoke, and what you'll have in the end is a superior assault, or an all rounder of reinforcement quality.
  • d0kRX
    1302 posts Member
    That's alot of mental gymnastics you're asking people to perform in order to accept what is essentially an overpowered class.

I said absolutely nothing about them being overpowered, nor did I ask people to git gud or anything and to leave the class alone. The officer may have some minor adjustments that are needed, but that's not what this thread was for.

I'm only trying to put into perspective that the officer has not one, but two roles, the second role being battlefield control. I merely showed what EA says about the officer and its roles and stated that this is why the developers gave them some powerful blasters.

If I were trying to get anyone to accept something, it would be that the officer is not just a support class. But is a support and battlefield control class.