criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

Sloppy SCS code implementation

savemejebus
351 posts Member
edited February 2018
For the drama queens: this isn't a rant about the usefulness/redundency of SCS pre or post patch. it also isn't a buff/nerf request. It's a post about how DICE somehow managed to implement a change to the SCS that completely didn't match up with their patch notes, TWICE.

Or their coding is just so cryptic that it would have been better communication if they used simple terms in their patch notes.

From 1.0 to 1.1, the patch notes stated that the spread damage was reduced, and heat generation per shot was increased from 0.015 to 0.017. On paper, this should have been a 13% reduction in SCS duration, but the actual duration ingame was cut by more than half, 8 seconds to 3 seconds, making it go from hero to zero overnight. At least the spread damage reduction was implemented correctly.

Fast forward to patch 1.2. Their own notes stated that they had REVERTED the earlier changes and reduced the heat per shot from 0.17 to 0.15. First of all, these are two totally different numbers. And once again, the in-game results don't match up. If SCS's duration was truly reverted to 1.1, we'd see an 8 second firing duration. This is hardly the case as we see now.

My theory on how they messed up twice:

Patch 1.1: Heat increase went from 0.015 to 0.17 instead of 0.017. Lazy intern.

Patch 1.2: Ok, the intern is serious now. He followed the book and went from 0.17 to 0.15. Too bad nobody bothered to check that 0.15 was NOT the original figure.

Come on DICE, is it too much to ask for patch notes that match up with in-game changes? This is embarrassing for a AAA company.

Replies

• savemejebus
    351 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    If they're going to mess up a third time, this is how I think it will happen.

Patch 1.3: Ok we fired the intern and we're serious now. We've rolled back all the changes to 1.0 just to be sure that we got the heat generation right. What could go wrong now?

SCS spread damage is hitting through walls again.
  • Maybe it's ***** they are doing instead of math.
  • Juice42
    172 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Just buff the heck out of SCS so we can have fun again for the love of God!!
  • Dev Team Too busy cheering on the Olympic folks I guess. Ah well. It’s only a game. 4 months old now and maybe one day, say a month or 2 before BF3 releases they will get all the stuff balanced and sorted out. I’m tired of stressing about this game. It’s supposed to be fun and like so many other games to be competitive you have to slot the FoTM.
  • 5 seconds activation time for this scrub-magnet of a weapon is a fine balance. Get over it. There are other classes and weapons to use that are so much better. People who solely rely on SCS only deserve 5 seconds max. It's a good enough time to get some kills before moving on the the next objective or kills, etc
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • 5 seconds activation time for this scrub-magnet of a weapon is a fine balance. Get over it. There are other classes and weapons to use that are so much better. People who solely rely on SCS only deserve 5 seconds max. It's a good enough time to get some kills before moving on the the next objective or kills, etc

Goes to show you didn't even read the first paragraph. I wouldn't care if they removed this whole ability from the game.

Goes to show you didn't even read the first paragraph. I wouldn't care if they removed this whole ability from the game.

I know I didn't. I just wanted to post how I feel about sentry to those that rely on it. And yeah, I couldn't care less if it was removed either haha
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • Vexation wrote: »
    5 seconds activation time for this scrub-magnet of a weapon is a fine balance. Get over it. There are other classes and weapons to use that are so much better. People who solely rely on SCS only deserve 5 seconds max. It's a good enough time to get some kills before moving on the the next objective or kills, etc

Ignore him, he's a blatant and uninspired troll around here. He's been banned for exactly that so don't waste your time, just leave him to bark in the corner.

You can straight away tell you're a SCS user
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • TonyGoombah1
    1324 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I think DICE needs to start issuing write-ups and other disciplinary action towards their team. I've seen to many glitches, sloppy messes, inaccurate patch notes and utterly ridiculous balancing adjustments that make no sense.

Either shape up or ship out, a AAA game deserves a team that knows what they're doing.

This shows that whoever ranks higher on the food chain that has to approve of these changes, is not doing his job correctly and is clearly not leading his team to success

edit: and let me just add that if i was the face of a team making these kind of mistakes over and over again i would be very embarassed and concerned about my future career opportunities.
    kay4dnh923zs.png
  • I don’t think that going from 8 seconds to 3 seconds is a 12x decrease
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    I don’t think that going from 8 seconds to 3 seconds is a 12x decrease

Hahahahaha
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    I don’t think that going from 8 seconds to 3 seconds is a 12x decrease

Of course. None of this makes sense and it all points back to the patch notes not matching up with the actual changes.
  • Happy to report that I was completely wrong in my earlier accusations.

The SCS has indeed been fixed. In fact upgraded to be even better than its 1.0 version. What the patch notes didn't say is that SCS's name was changed. It's now called the DC15.

Fire away folks!