criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Palpatine in galactic assault

Gioroggia
184 posts Member
edited April 2018
I know every other kid likes to go on a lightning-charged mega kill streak with this dude on galactic assault, but isn't it time to tone him down a bit?

He's too strong and has FAR too much survivability.

Replies

• lok
    962 posts Member
    My default minigun rips palps a new one everytime he tries to fly.
    A couple of troopers on him and he is dead.
  • Billydoc
    893 posts Member
    heroes/villains MUST be removed from GA
    this game has become Officers & Heroes vs Villains Assault
    ATM it 's a joke...too many heroes ...less or removed
    Do you want to play as a hero or villain? Go & play HvV
  • moondynemc
    1979 posts Member
    Psht. Follow him with a trooper, wait until he stops to pause and unload. I usually kill a GA Palps daily.
  • Nice try buddy, but thats how all Heroes should play. If your skilled and better than the other players you should go on a massive kill streak. A 20 kill streak as a Hero is lame and not worth 8k battle points when you can do twice as well in a vehicle for less than half the cost. Its lame. I hope more buffs come so I won't have to play as palpatine anymore.

1) You say you "have to" play as palpatine. Therefore, at your own admission, he outclasses the other heroes as far as GA is concerned.

2) The amount of BP you spend to pick a reinforcement of any kind is quite secondary for the fun and balance of the game. Reinforcements are limited mostly due to a hard number cap, not BP cost. Also, if it is so powerful as to unsettle the balance of the game, little does it matter if it costs 1.000 or 10.000.

3) You don't "have to" play as anything. You do it because you want to have an advantage over others. That's what makes you stick to it.

4) I don't think you have the slightest idea of what to consider for game balance.
  • Devlin21
    8294 posts Member
    Gioroggia wrote: »
    Nice try buddy, but thats how all Heroes should play. If your skilled and better than the other players you should go on a massive kill streak. A 20 kill streak as a Hero is lame and not worth 8k battle points when you can do twice as well in a vehicle for less than half the cost. Its lame. I hope more buffs come so I won't have to play as palpatine anymore.

1) You say you "have to" play as palpatine. Therefore, at your own admission, he outclasses the other heroes as far as GA is concerned.

2) The amount of BP you spend to pick a reinforcement of any kind is quite secondary for the fun and balance of the game. Reinforcements are limited mostly due to a hard number cap, not BP cost. Also, if it is so powerful as to unsettle the balance of the game, little does it matter if it costs 1.000 or 10.000.

3) You don't "have to" play as anything. You do it because you want to have an advantage over others. That's what makes you stick to it.

4) I don't think you have the slightest idea of what to consider for game balance.

Palps doesnt need a nerf, the other heroes need a buff to rey/palp/vader/bossk/leias level.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Clone201
    3502 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    If you're team is outplayed by Palpatine, let's just say you AND your team was totally outplayed by the entire enemy team, and you deserved to lose for it.

As many of you know, Galactic Assault is imbalanced in one way of how it caters to the team on the defense, giving them an unfair advantage over the team on offense sometimes. You also have the bad map designs, imbalanced spawning, and etc, etc, to take into consideration.

However, that imbalance is only accelerated when the Light Side team are almost always on defense (aside from three maps), and they have great heroes like Finn. Rey, and Yoda that help their allies in a variety of ways. Put up a good team using those three heroes I mentioned, and the Dark Side has zero chances of winning on a map like Naboo's Throne room, and it doesn't matter how good your team is then, because the imbalance between the two sides is very large, and not even someone like Palpatine is good enough to turn this around. A very good Yoda player working against my team in my experience can really break the game and there's not much we can do about it. Palpatine is not as strong as people claim him to be.

I'll post it again: The Light Side on defense are clearly more advantageous and have much highers of winning, no matter the team's current skill level. The thing is, they have a significant teamplay advantage with their heroes whereas the Dark Side has absolutely none of this, which is already a sign of imbalance. If YOUR team are outplayed on the Light Side, there was a big skill gap throughout the two teams in the match and therefore your outplayed and deserved the loss, even if Palpatine was the majority of your concerns.

P.S. Even if the Dark Side were on defense, it's not as advantageous as being the Light Side on defense. The Light Side can use their heroes (Rey, Finn, Yoda) to push through your defense. This is how Endor can sometimes be a cakewalk for the rest of the game if you as the Light Side offense get past the first phase.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • ATE_ARMS
    317 posts Member
    Nice try buddy, but thats how all Heroes should play. If your skilled and better than the other players you should go on a massive kill streak. A 20 kill streak as a Hero is lame and not worth 8k battle points when you can do twice as well in a vehicle for less than half the cost. Its lame. I hope more buffs come so I won't have to play as palpatine anymore.

So youre a skilled player who can only go on huge killstreaks with the easiest hero to use

Lmao!
  • Devlin21
    8294 posts Member
    ATE_ARMS wrote: »

So youre a skilled player who can only go on huge killstreaks with the easiest hero to use

Lmao!

Easiest hero to use. Hes not

Lmao!
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Abuuru
    421 posts Member
    I know every other kid likes to go on a lightning-charged mega kill streak with this dude on galactic assault, but isn't it time to tone him down a bit?

imagine you're doing great at your work and your boss pulls you aside and says, "billy, you're too good at your job, we're going to nerf your salary". you wouldn't like that would you? leave palpatine alone.
  • OOM19
    2830 posts Member
    Abuuru wrote: »

imagine you're doing great at your work and your boss pulls you aside and says, "billy, you're too good at your job, we're going to nerf your salary". you wouldn't like that would you? leave palpatine alone.

Excellent Straw-Man!
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • Abuuru wrote: »

With that logic in mind, there should never ever be nerfs in the first place. Palpatine shooting through walls? Perfectly fine. Iden Versio stunning players twice? Perfectly fine. Chewbacca melting faces with 2+ seconds stuns pre-patch? Perfectly fine. It's a game, if there are things that are overpowered, which there certainly are in this game, then it does need to get toned down.
  • OOM19
    2830 posts Member
    I miss Palpatine's original status back before he was buffed. He was so much fun to play

Back when you could take pride in being a Palpatine player. Back when people congratulated you for being good with him

Shame

Now you can just hold a button down and win
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

[url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • OOM19 wrote: »
    I miss Palpatine's original status back before he was buffed. He was so much fun to play

Back when you could take pride in being a Palpatine player. Back when people congratulated you for being good with him

Shame

That's what you get when you have people, running around with green cards, which people did at the time, and complained that he had too low health to be useful. Then when people got epic cards, everyone noticed that he was virtually unkillable and everyone started hogging that sweet Palpatine and first place with a huge margin to the second player.
  • Devlin21
    8294 posts Member
    OOM19 wrote: »

Shame

How long did it take to kill infantry?
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Abuuru
    421 posts Member
    Abuuru wrote: »

With that logic in mind, there should never ever be nerfs in the first place. Palpatine shooting through walls? Perfectly fine. Iden Versio stunning players twice? Perfectly fine. Chewbacca melting faces with 2+ seconds stuns pre-patch? Perfectly fine. It's a game, if there are things that are overpowered, which there certainly are in this game, then it does need to get toned down.

im speaking only for palpatine. he's fine as is.
  • OOM19
    2830 posts Member

Shame

What? They NEVER adjusted the damage EVER. That's what we were trying to tell you all back when everyone was complaining about Palpatine being too weak in December

Palpatine's damage has always been the same
    •Increased health from 650 to 700
    •Increased maximum regeneration from 150 to 300
    •Increased regeneration rate from 50 to 75
    •Decreased 1-hand Force lightning cost from 15 stamina/sec to 10 stamina/sec
    •Decreased 2-handed Force lightning cost from 20 stamina/sec to 15 stamina/sec

Those health buffs destroyed Palpatine's original balance as a dodge built character that could single handly decimate all 3 saber heroes at once but was squishy enough to be taken down if they chipped at him too quickly

That's why Palpatine had such a high health regeneration card at the start

But now Palpatine has been easy mode forever

Skilless, boring, simplistic as heck

I have a feeling he'll never reach that point of fun again
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • He won't reach that level of bad again, to be sure. I only hope other Heroes become even half as good. No reason to pick anybody but palpatine currently.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif

Shame

What? They NEVER adjusted the damage EVER. That's what we were trying to tell you all back when everyone was complaining about Palpatine being too weak in December

Those health buffs destroyed Palpatine's original balance as a dodge built character that could single handly decimate all 3 saber heroes at once but was squishy enough to be taken down if they chipped at him too quickly

The only thing that was necessary to change was the stamina reduction. Them buffing his health was a surprising but unnecessary addition.
  • Devlin21
    8294 posts Member

Shame

Never knew that, played as him a few times when i unlocked him in December, thought he sucked, didnt ask for any buffs though. Figured i was bad and would get better overtime.
    150 was too low tbh, 200-250 would be better than 150.

I do like that you have yoi have to look at the enemy to have the lightning hit, but sometimes it doesnt register at close range.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• OOM19
    2830 posts Member

Shame

Never knew that, played as him a few times when i unlocked him in December, thought he sucked, didnt ask for any buffs though. Figured i was bad and would get better overtime.
    150 was too low tbh, 200-250 would be better than 150.

I do like that you have yoi have to look at the enemy to have the lightning hit, but sometimes it doesnt register at close range.

Yes

Did Palpatine need some buffing? Yes, he was too reliant on the card that decreased Lightning Stamina consumption. but you can say that about any Heal on Kill card for Heroes. And his max health regeneration rate and minimum health was too low even with the heal on hit card. I mean 150 was just BLAH

What I would have done
    •Increased maximum regeneration from 150 to 250
    •Increased regeneration rate from 50 to 66
    •Decreased 2-handed Force lightning cost from 20 stamina/sec to 17 stamina/sec

650 Health was and is still perfect for him

And I'm not surprised you had trouble. Palpatine was poorly explained at launch. Most people didn't even learn that he had 2-handed lightning until the December patch

I saw many Palpatine players just walk up point blank and try to zap people

It helped if you had experience with Palpatine in the first game and remembered you were supposed to jump up and down while attacking
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    Palpatine has been good since launch, but you had to upgrade his cards to realize his potential which most did not. Currently Vader and Bossk are better options for GA than Palpatine because they can play the objective better. Palpatine is also relatively easy to kill, and I do so routinely as a regular trooper... and especially as Leia and Finn you can destroy him.
  • ATE_ARMS
    317 posts Member

Lmao!

Lmao!

Well then why imply as much, and who is easier?
  • Clone201 wrote: »

Even if the Dark Side were on defense, it's not as advantageous as being the Light Side on defense. The Light Side can use their heroes (Rey, Finn, Yoda) to push through your defense. This is how Endor can sometimes be a cakewalk for the rest of the game if you as the Light Side offense get past the first phase.

Totally agree that the screencheat/ammo/health buff of those three heroes would overcome any good Palp, with just a modest level of skill. Otherwise, as infantry, the best shot is to try to flank or hide and wait for Palp to pass and then unload with grenade, scatter gun or heavy ammo to try to take him out. It's challenging, but possible, to solo kill Palp.
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member

Lmao!

Lmao!

Vader, Yoda, Leia, Rey, Finn and even Bossk can have more of an impact in GA with less effort than Palpatine. Palpatine is good at picking off players, but he can be forced off objectives very easily and offers no team support of any kind. Against noob randoms he stomps... against veterans or groups he can get kills but his impact on winning matches can be completely mitigated.
  • ATE_ARMS
    317 posts Member
    t3hBar0n wrote: »

Lmao!

Lmao!

Vader, Yoda, Leia, Rey, Finn and even Bossk can have more of an impact in GA with less effort than Palpatine. Palpatine is good at picking off players, but he can be forced off objectives very easily and offers no team support of any kind. Against noob randoms he stomps... against veterans or groups he can get kills but his impact on winning matches can be completely mitigated.

We were talking about killstreaks
    :|

Of which palps is king, bar Leia on crait
  • Billydoc wrote: »
    heroes/villains MUST be removed from GA
    this game has become Officers & Heroes vs Villains Assault
    ATM it 's a joke...too many heroes ...less or removed
    Do you want to play as a hero or villain? Go & play HvV

#trolldetected
    Priority Lists

Heroes:
    1. Obi-Wan and grievous
    2. Anakin and Dooku
    3. Rex and Cad Bane
    4. Ahsoka and Ventress
    5. Mace and Savage
    6. Padmè and Jango

Maps:
    1. Utapau
    2. Felucia
    3. Coruscant
    4. Geonosis
    5. Battle over Courascant/Grievous’ command ship

Other
    1.Large Mode/Conquest/Galactic Assault for arcade
    2. Galactic Conquest
    3. Guard,Sentinel,and commando classes
    4. Skill based credit rewards in arcade
    5. Appearances unlocked in arcade
    Guard,Commando,and sentinel class ideas:
    Skirmish/Offline content
    “Everybody needs somebody.” -Rio
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member

Lmao!

Lmao!

Every hero has specific strengths... in the case of Palpatine he is ranged and is a glass cannon, so of course he would have an advantage on getting meaningless kills in a time limited scenario. He is a one trick pony, thus he should excel within his area of strength. Leia is a good foil for him because not only does she have even better range and better team support abilites, but she also is a hard counter to Palpatine. Leia can go on absurd streaks on Crait, Hoth, Kashyyyk, Starkiller, and Endor just by spamming alt fire... this is why according to Dennis she had the highest KDR in the game even before Palpatine was nerfed.

Personally I judge heroes on their ability to win matches, and currently Palpatine is my 3rd choice villain for accomplishing this. If you want to ignore objectives and run around the periphery working on killstreak records while your team loses, than Palpatine is the best.
  • ATE_ARMS
    317 posts Member

Lmao!

Lmao!

Every hero has specific strengths... in the case of Palpatine he is ranged and is a glass cannon, so of course he would have an advantage on getting meaningless kills in a time limited scenario. He is a one trick pony, thus he should excel within his area of strength. Leia is a good foil for him because not only does she have even better range and better team support abilites, but she also is a hard counter to Palpatine. Leia can go on absurd streaks on Crait, Hoth, Kashyyyk, Starkiller, and Endor just by spamming alt fire... this is why according to Dennis she had the highest KDR in the game even before Palpatine was nerfed.

Personally I judge heroes on their ability to win matches, and currently Palpatine is my 3rd choice villain for accomplishing this. If you want to ignore objectives and run around the periphery working on killstreak records while your team loses, than Palpatine is the best.

Palpatine can be 'forced off an objective' as was stated earlier, upon which he returns shortly after with full health again

Being the most agile character along with the ability to disable players, stun, and hit and injure groups with one ability is not a one trick pony either man

But tbh I am very sick with some sort of persistent head based snot virus and all through this thread I believed I was replying to one person, but turned out it was three distinctly different people, and now I'm not entirely sure exactly what we are discussing.

As such I bid good day to you sirs

• OOM19
    2830 posts Member
    Palpatine has been good since launch, but you had to upgrade his cards to realize his potential which most did not. Currently Vader and Bossk are better options for GA than Palpatine because they can play the objective better. Palpatine is also relatively easy to kill, and I do so routinely as a regular trooper... and especially as Leia and Finn you can destroy him.

Finn's not much of a issue if he doesn't have Dead-Eye equipped

I'd like to see a revamp for Dead-Eye that makes it less "SPAMMY FIRE, FIRE, FIRE, FIRE WATERHOSE OF SPAMMMMM!!!!" and more like Sharp-Shot or such and a general buff to his weapon and range

Because as it stands while his character may be terrible. The Hero concept is epic and I owe a ton of favors to Finn players who came in with a combo heal buff at just the right second
    Leia can go on absurd streaks on Crait, Hoth, Kashyyyk, Starkiller, and Endor just by spamming alt fire... this is why according to Dennis she had the highest KDR in the game even before Palpatine was nerfed.

Yep

You remember those awful Vehicle Token campers in WA from the last game? Specifically the type that would hide behind a mountain if they were a AT-ST or those that would fly all the way to the Skybox and then fire straight down at the ground?

Yeah, they found a new home
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • Batman20
    1376 posts Member
    I wouldn't mind seeing him toned down a bit as it takes no skill to get kills with him atm since he destroys troopers with ease. But they would probably over nerf him so for that reason just keep him the way he is. Although strong I don't think he has as big of an impact on matches as he did when he could shoot thorough walls
  • Abuuru wrote: »

That was like the most nonsensical analogy I've seen in quite some time. That's all.

Finn's not much of a issue if he doesn't have Dead-Eye equipped

I'd like to see a revamp for Dead-Eye that makes it less "SPAMMY FIRE, FIRE, FIRE, FIRE WATERHOSE OF SPAMMMMM!!!!" and more like Sharp-Shot or such and a general buff to his weapon and range

Because as it stands while his character may be terrible. The Hero concept is epic and I owe a ton of favors to Finn players who came in with a combo heal buff at just the right second
    Leia can go on absurd streaks on Crait, Hoth, Kashyyyk, Starkiller, and Endor just by spamming alt fire... this is why according to Dennis she had the highest KDR in the game even before Palpatine was nerfed.

Yep

You remember those awful Vehicle Token campers in WA from the last game? Specifically the type that would hide behind a mountain if they were a AT-ST or those that would fly all the way to the Skybox and then fire straight down at the ground?

Yeah, they found a new home

Leia is a very poorly designed hero, indeed. Beats me why they would include a self-aiming ability that can one shot people, especially across the map.

I've heard it said it was meant to give casuals a chance to win. Untrue. With the BP design, true casuals hardly ever stand a chance at picking a hero. Heroes just make their suffering more intense, as usually only the best or the .OST opportunistic players can pick them until the last stage of the map.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »

Lmao!

Lmao!

If you want to ignore objectives and run around the periphery working on killstreak records while your team loses, than Palpatine is the best.

The fact that Palpatine's current design and capabilities can stimulate people to ignore the objective and be rewarded by it can potentially make him even more of a problem. Just not for the opposite team. For his own.

• t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member

Lmao!

Lmao!

If you want to ignore objectives and run around the periphery working on killstreak records while your team loses, than Palpatine is the best.

The fact that Palpatine's current design and capabilities can stimulate people to ignore the objective and be rewarded by it can potentially make him even more of a problem. Just not for the opposite team. For his own.

I would disagree that it stimulates anyone to do that... some people just want to play their own game and ignore whatever the team is doing... I play Palpatine still from time to time and I push objectives hard... I don't feel stimulated not to do so just because I am using Palpatine. Same with Leia... you can sit in the back and be useless, or you can go up front and wreck and end the game in p1 on Crait for example... your choice.
  • He is fine, if you are average with him you will get ruined, if you are good, you will do the ruining. Still easily pull of 100+ streaks with him, but Leia and Bossk are far better at pulling higher numbers. In GA I dont see him being too OP, seems fine TBH.

A Palps/Bossk/Vader team will still be near impossible to take out on any map when they are grouped of which we do often.
  • Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    I honestly don't think he's OP, I play him a lot and his lightning doesn't have a very high dps, as such he can be melted very fast if you're not careful. Buffs before nerfs
  • He won't reach that level of bad again, to be sure. I only hope other Heroes become even half as good. No reason to pick anybody but palpatine currently.

I think Iden is a good choice now, definitely up there with Vader. He double stun allows her to heal twice, and if you have the star card that increases the range of the stun, she's basically a mini-Palpatine who can't jump as high. Though, she's quite vulnerable to saber heroes if she misses her stun.
  • As much as I hate Palpatine when I play against him, I love to play him every time.

I will defend the Emperor with my last breath.
    He is powerful, but contrary to any other hero, he requires true skill and mastery to be invincible.

Short: Don't touch Palpatine!
  • BrushedBrass2
    537 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Much power has Darth Sidious but quick to lose it is he.

(PLAY WITH SOUND ON) :smiley: