criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Forest of Endor

Starfighter Response Curve: What exactly does it do? Not much! (Video)

Could someone, preferably a dev, tell us exactly what the setting does, and if it actually works?

I made a video to help noobs, like my former self, understand that there doesn't seem to be an ideal "magic" setting for sensitivity.

FYI my aim has already gotten better since I made this video. LOL

I am doing Advanced Flight, Disable Roll: No, and Legacy controls, so left stick is throttle and yaw, and right stick is pitch and roll. If the rumors about the setting are true, about it only affecting one stick, that may mean that SRC may only be affecting my yaw.

Thoughts?

P.S. Does Gunslinger Accuracy have an effect with Aim Assist turned off? I assume yes, because I am often dumb firing at an objective, only to have the nose of my ship (everybody knows tie fighter aint got no nose!) pulled to the side briefly, as it auto tracks a ship flying left to right between me and the objective
ZI7BNkU.gif
^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
(Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.

Replies

• NeoExcidious
    1935 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Re: your PS Turn off aim assist. All good console players I know recommend that.
    NeoX
  • Re: your PS Turn off aim assist. All good console players I know recommend that.

LOL I already did, that was the point of the PS. Turning it off doesn't actually turn it off, which has been well documented on the forum. ;)
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• My mistake, I misinterpreted your question.
    NeoX
  • Billkwando
    1976 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    My mistake, I misinterpreted your question.

No problem! It's always nice when someone tries to help. :D
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• Anybody? Is there a dev in da house? ;)
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• Not asking about state secrets or future updates here, guys. Just asking for clarification on an option in your menus. I would check the manual, if there was one.
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• ....err Bill we can count on less than a few fingers the amount of times how anything functions has been answere by aynone from the company on this the Official forum - it's beyond an Insult
  • Billkwando wrote: »
    Anybody? Is there a dev in da house? ;)

I'd love an answer to this as well.

On the same topic, the ADS sensitivity slider (whatever they call it) seems to have zero effect on Starfighters. Feels the same on 100 as it does on 0.
  • Oak_Beard wrote: »
    Billkwando wrote: »
    Anybody? Is there a dev in da house? ;)

I'd love an answer to this as well.

On the same topic, the ADS sensitivity slider (whatever they call it) seems to have zero effect on Starfighters. Feels the same on 100 as it does on 0.

I'm not sure the ADS sensitivity does anything for Starfighters, but I would surely like to know for sure, since that's actually what I'm trying to adjust when I mess with the Starfighter Response. I never even thought to mess with the ADS setting.

I have a really hard time shooting at people when I fly a ship like Kylo Ren's.
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• Honestly, I turned SRC down to 0, and up to 100, and I'm not sure I could tell a difference. Standard controls, advanced flight on.
    Honestly, I turned SRC down to 0, and up to 100, and I'm not sure I could tell a difference. Standard controls, advanced flight on.

Oh yeah, for sure. That's actrually what I was demonstrating in the video, LOL!
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• Billkwando
    1976 posts Member
    "Actually", not "actrually". I hate typos.

(almost as much as I hate being ignored on an official forum where I'm requesting support)
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• Sath
    232 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    On PC it determins how quickly the spacecraft starts to turn when you make an input. With the mouse you can move the cursor around and the ship won't change direction on the lowest setting. On the highest setting it starts turning as you touch the mouse ever so slightly. So a 50%ish setting gives us the smoothest feeling. On consoles the crosshairs are fixed in the middle of the screen and the controller sensitivity determines the time it takes to reach full deflection.
    Ideally a game offers non-linear controls, which means not much happens between 0% and 75% controller movement but at 100% you get it all, so a panic 180 turn (ground combat) is still possible. I think the ship controller sensitivity is linear so you are losing time with a low sensitivity setting. The response curve adds a non-linear element to your ships reaction which makes it less nervous at 50% or more, i guess.
  • Billkwando
    1976 posts Member
    Thanks, but I'm on Xbox, and we shouldn't have to guess. :p
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• LeftTurnus
    1099 posts Member
    Sath wrote: »
    On PC it determins how quickly the spacecraft starts to turn when you make an input. With the mouse you can move the cursor around and the ship won't change direction on the lowest setting. On the highest setting it starts turning as you touch the mouse ever so slightly. So a 50%ish setting gives us the smoothest feeling. On consoles the crosshairs are fixed in the middle of the screen and the controller sensitivity determines the time it takes to reach full deflection.
    Ideally a game offers non-linear controls, which means not much happens between 0% and 75% controller movement but at 100% you get it all, so a panic 180 turn (ground combat) is still possible. I think the ship controller sensitivity is linear so you are losing time with a low sensitivity setting. The response curve adds a non-linear element to your ships reaction which makes it less nervous at 50% or more, i guess.

From what this gentleman is pointing out, it is a PC setting. It is in the console version for consistency but does nothing in console. Would not surprise me for this to be the case...
  • Billkwando
    1976 posts Member
    LeftTurnus wrote: »
    Sath wrote: »

From what this gentleman is pointing out, it is a PC setting. It is in the console version for consistency but does nothing in console. Would not surprise me for this to be the case...

Yeah, for sure!

All I want is what most folks around here want. Better communication. The devs could just be honest and answer my question, but I suppose that would require them acknowledging another flaw in the game.

I don't think it's any accident that changing your reticle color has no effect in SA. It's pretty clear that it's a separate game within the game, and that the options menu may or may not apply, outside of assigning the analog sticks. It would just be nice if they did the responsible thing and told us what the deal is.
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• I'm guessing the patch did nothing to fix this?
    I'm guessing the patch did nothing to fix this?

As usual, nope!
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• SSJSnoop
    2158 posts Member
    I want to know exactly how this setting works as well.

IF the SWBF2 team cares about the forum like they say they do, and not only chiming in to placate people, can we please get an answer on this?

Please explain how Starfighter Response Curve works.
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Why did you disable roll?
    Psn: Jello770
  • Jello770 wrote: »

"Disable Roll: No" means that roll is not disabled. ;)
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Jello770 wrote: »

Sorry I sped read through that :D
    Psn: Jello770
  • Jello770 wrote: »
    Jello770 wrote: »

Sorry I sped read through that :D

No problem! It happens. :)
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• Let's see if some reverse psychology works...

I demand that this thread do not receive any attention at all from de devs/mods/CM!
  • Kueid wrote: »
    Let's see if some reverse psychology works...

I demand that this thread do not receive any attention at all from de devs/mods/CM!

They don't answer hard questions.
  • Billkwando
    1976 posts Member
    Kueid wrote: »
    Let's see if some reverse psychology works...

They don't answer hard questions.

Right! Like how the options menu works in the game they made. :P

Even after I posted the link to it in the thread where they're basically like "Oh no, we don't ignore threads".
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• @Billkwando

You're totally right, I hope they decide to answer this. Starfighter Assault should have been my favorite gamemode from start, but since then up to now I rarely touch it at all.

Why? Well, because I'm an obscure PC Controller player. Only for flying. In every other perspective I play on Mouse and Keyboard, but when I hop into a starship I get my controller and start doing what I've been doing for the past 21 years, since the good old days of Shadows of the Empire flying the Outrider (and a Snowspeeder).

What that implies? Well, besides other problems, it has its specific problem which is no turning off AIM-Assist. As OP mentioned here, AIM-Assist is a tool preferably disabled as it's more disruptive then helpful. I played SWBF2015 on PC and only used a controller to play with starfighters. There was no AIM-Assist. I did pretty well there, once scoring 150 kills on Fighter Squadron, or another time killing 60 players in the last part of Battle Station only using Vader's Tie Advanced, and also got the World Record on fastest Trench Run from beginning to end. I can say I piloted very well with a Controller on PC.

Now it's garbage. Besides not being able to turn off AIM-Assist, we can't change the Field of View when flying. I hate having my ship occupying a huge space of the screen. The last game had the option to change this, as all other playable characters have in this game as well. Why Starfighters can't? There's a bit of screen left when you're playing Slave I.

We also can't map the controller's keys to anywhere we want, like we can on a Keyboard. I've been controlling starships on my left thumb for 21 years. Don't expect me to learn how to fly on my right thumb now, I'd prefer to play on a Mouse then to learn how to fly on my right thumb.

As I have no new settable X1 Controller, I use a third party software to emulate an Xbox 360 controller and it allows me to map the buttons on my controller to those of an Xbox 360 controller, so I fly like I did in Rogue Squadron (with a few differences).

Another problem is that Rolling has a fixed speed. Besides Advanced Flight, any roll movement you do with your ship will have a fixed speed of rotation. You can't roll faster or slower, like you can turn faster or slower. Advanced Flight is the only tool to roll slower, as it automatically puts you in default angle when you aren't changing your starfighter's speed or using the afterburner, but has a different rolling speed then the manual roll stick/button, which isn't very useful at all. Considering this, I've been planning to change the manual roll from the controller's stick to 2 buttons, as the effect will be the same. On the plus side I'll be able to ignore the stick's dead zone (which delays my input) and I'll be able to keep rolling with much more stability then with a stick. It doesn't matter how much we roll, it'll always be in the same speed, so it's better to use buttons. I believe this is so because on M&K people can't have anything besides buttons to do the roll, as the mouse controls your aim, and that's it. I disagree with this idea, let controllers have better manual rolls, M&Ks have better aiming already.

To end this, the maps are also especially boring. They don't feel like accomplishing a great objective, as GA does, or as Death Star DLC and Scarif DLC did in the previous game. They also don't feel like a simple scoring match, like Fighter Squadron did in the last game. The missions are repetitive, and the way one side always has to kill enemy ships makes this mode even more boring. The only map I think is good is D'Qar. The missions feel rewarding, there is time to fight the enemy ships when you have to do the objective, has altered space fields which is another way of changing gameplay besides flying through debris, and suddenly objectives change as the ones doing it then have to take down ships, and the ones taking down ships have to stay alive for a certain time.
    Tired of BUGs?

Well, they'll still exist.
    But visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)
  • SSJSnoop
    2158 posts Member
    SSJSnoop wrote: »
    I want to know exactly how this setting works as well.

IF the SWBF2 team cares about the forum like they say they do, and not only chiming in to placate people, can we please get an answer on this?

Please explain how Starfighter Response Curve works.