criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Would you be willing to pay for DLC packs at this point?

13Next

Replies

• ErrmagherdMTX
    54 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    hsf_ wrote: »
    I'd be for it and buy in a heartbeat, as long as it's similar to battlefields premium. $50 for 4 to 5 guaranteed dlc with 4-6 maps, 2-4 heros, and 2-4 weapons heck yeah. The best part about that model as well is they tell you in advance what's being planned and what to expect.
    KazJim wrote: »
    Nope, it creates a 'two-speed' system, where players are locked out of content unless they pay for it - players move to DLC, 'vanilla' maps die...

I give you SWBF1 (2015) as evidence . . . .

There have been games that give some free and have paid season pass. You guys still get to enjoy your free measly one map and two skins every 4-6 months and we get to enjoy the great content we paid for, win win.

Or... You can stop contributing to the problem, which is companies are continuously allowed to throw out half hearted games at full price, then have the audacity to charge for "extra" content, that should have been there to begin with.
    Could you imagine the uproar if CSGO required paid DLC to use the M4 or AWP? Or what about in F1 2017, if you had to buy Mercedes or Ferrari via DLC's...

If you're going to make a Starwars game, then you need to include all of the major protagonists and antagonists from each era. Or, you need to specifically state in the title of the game that it's Starwars Battlefront: Episodes VII - VIII(or whichever trilogy you want) or something like that. Having the likes of Vader and Luke locked would have been fine if they were unlocked via hero progression or something, for example to unlock Vader you need to get 25 kills with every darkside character, rather than pushing people to spend more real money on iconic characters.

You could go on ranting all you want but the fact of the matter still stands, paid dlc models done right outright destroy free dlc models. I will take battlefield 1 premium over any free dlc game period, anyone who believes that dlcs can be put out at the same rate and with the same quality as bf premium with a free dlc model is completely delusional.

I agree, content shouldn't be held from release and added as dlc, which many games don't do, and if they do I usually avoid them. Battlefield has never done that and always had great dlcs that are reasonably priced, 15 dollars for all those maps, weapons, vehicles, elite kits, and game modes, yes please.

You can cry "muh community split!" All you want, but battlefield 1's dlc servers are the most active, and on top of the fact that they were selling the premium pass for $15 multiple times. I'm sorry, but even after all the games that have fallen flat on their face with free dlc, the people that still believe that it's a good idea are bonkers. I'm suppose to throw out a proven quality and timely dlc model simply based off of like one game like overwatch that is solely powered by blizzard fanboys buying an enormous amount of mtx.

Whether you like it or not, publishers and devs will be throwing out half finished games regardless, the moment they could update a game it was set in stone. Yeah I get that people would be pretty mad if a game deliberately held out on content for the sake of selling it to players as a dlc, maybe that was the case with the first battlefront, but I don't know I avoided it because of how stale the gameplay felt.

You want to really know what will really cause an uproar? This game getting very very lackluster dlc due to it's great free dlc model, or EA just straight up cutting support and deciding that it's not worth it for them to continue paying for content for this once great game turned into a disappointing shell of a Star Wars game due to people with hive mentalities.

As for the whole progression system schtick, I'm just going to avoid that one for now. I know how "passionate" people like you are about that issue and how much you like to lead your arguments with "feelings" instead of logic. So please don't come at me saying I'm apart of the "problem" when you know nothing about me or the actual problem at hand.
  • LeftTurnus
    1099 posts Member
    I am talking about legitimate DLC packs that we are used to from EA DICE. For instance, if EA announced they would be releasing Clone Wars DLC Pack 1 in September with the following content:

General Grievous
    Obi-Wan
    Conquest or Supremacy mode added to the game for all planets
    New planet Utapau with maps for all modes.
    New planet Coruscant with maps for all modes.
    New planet Felucia with maps for all modes.

Then they said the pack would be $14.99. Would you be willing to buy it?

My vote would be YES.

The free DLC promise went out the window with the loot crate revenue. There is no current revenue stream for the game. So I see no reason why we can't revert back to the DLC pack sales model of old. The pack sales would cover development cost.

If it does well enough, maybe they could line up packs through 2019 and sell a Season Pass. They could give us a couple more Clone Wars packs, a legacy pack from the 2015 game, a pack from Star Wars Rebels, maybe a pack from the new Resistance cartoon, and then a pack for Episode 9 after the movie comes out.

EDIT: when I say "maps for all modes", I mean BOTH large game modes and small game modes get new maps with each planet added. No leaving out large game modes like in the 2015 DLC packs. Starfighter Assault would get a new map where it makes sense for the planet, like Coruscant would obviously be perfect with the opening of Revenge of the Sith.

Plain and simple: No
  • Absolutely!
  • JatFant
    444 posts Member
    Yes, mainly because they changed how the game economics work.

They could do something similar to R6 Siege, an annual pass to support it, where you get new heroes, skills and some exclusive skins.

Only thing that would be free would be the maps to not separate the players.
  • I support a paid DLC mode if, and only if, it's integrated with the regular multiplayer experience, as not to cause a division of the playerbase.

Example:
    New maps for GA is introduced. People who don't buy the DLC can play the new maps, but they can't select it (if we get a map selection option), and they can't use anything that wasn't included in their originally purchased content. So, no new Heroes, vehicles, abilities, and so on. They'd still be able to use the regular troopers, environmental usables like MTT, etc.
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    If it involved

Tarkin
    Count Dooku
    General Veers
    OOM-9
    Thrawn
    HK-47
    Admiral Piett

Then sure

If not then NO!!
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again
    I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

Space and Asteroids ROMG4
  • No, mainly because I'm not a self-entitled brat who needs endless constant content to be entertained. Why would I pay for stuff if I'm still perfectly fine with what I have?
  • No, mainly because I'm not a self-entitled brat who needs endless constant content to be entertained. Why would I pay for stuff if I'm still perfectly fine with what I have?

Some other people might want to pay for dlc because they think it will improve the game. I doubt that though. Why is someone a "self-entitled brat," if they are asking for their favorite content to be added? There are a few people on here that say things that make them sound entitled, but they just want more from the game that they enjoy using. I do not think that is wrong.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.
  • Adanar
    91 posts Member
    Thats not going to happen. They promised no pay DLC, it would dug them deeper ( if thats even possible).
  • The saddest thing about this is that Star Wars is such an amazing license with so much potential for content, and that the game engine is more than capable of supporting most scenarios you can imagine.

Yet it seems more and more likely that we are never going to see most of it because of a poor business model.

That's hard to accept.

• Lonnisity
    1965 posts Member
    As long as there are people who won't buy in - either due to lack of money or standing by some principle - leading to a split player base and unpopulated servers, I don't want paid DLC.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • RyanK388
    1906 posts Member
    EA runs on Capitalism right?
    So either donation fund for dlcs or something patreon
    Because loot box funding got illegal
    So game is long term profit loss,
    Can’t make content for free, Dice works on EAs time, and time is money- so ...EA had no time for an unprofitable deal

Ea gives money
    Dice turn money into content
    Content becomes DLC and is sent to Battlefront 2 players.
    MTXs fund EA...mtxs are illegal now
    Disney notably angry at EA
  • I know there is a cost to run the servers for the Multiplayer games and it is not cheap. I love the multiplayer game. I would be willing to pay a fee or pay for a DLC to keep the game running and for the bugs to be fixed.

I personally had no issues with the Battlefront 2015 DLC and the cost.

• flcnrelic
    112 posts Member
    I would have paid for DLC or Season Pass like I did with BF-I. But seeing how things are going now I am not comfortable with the idea as I am not convinced that we will get much more content in this game. Its not the developers fault. They are just following the whims of EA.
    GT (Xbox, PS4, PC): xxRustyRelicxx
  • flcnrelic
    112 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    tankertoad wrote: »
    @ArchAngeL_777

As an old guy that grew up on the original trilogy I wasn't as big on the prequels. But I recently watched them and I can tell you I completely agree there is so so so so much content there.

Worlds upon worlds.

I just want fun gameplay. I want more role-playing elements. I want non-linear play.

I want it in Star Wars.

And I don't care if it's on Hoth Taatoine utapau or Alderaan.

The Star Wars galaxy is like any other galaxy. New planets and locales can be dreamed up by artists and developers. We don't have to use places we have already scene. Come up with new characters and stories. They did this with Star Wars The Old Republic and Bioware. That's what EA/Dice need a good story writers on staff even with a multiplayer game.
    GT (Xbox, PS4, PC): xxRustyRelicxx
  • blaz3r
    158 posts Member
    I am talking about legitimate DLC packs that we are used to from EA DICE. For instance, if EA announced they would be releasing Clone Wars DLC Pack 1 in September with the following content:

General Grievous
    Obi-Wan

My vote would be YES.

The free DLC promise went out the window with the loot crate revenue. There is no current revenue stream for the game. So I see no reason why we can't revert back to the DLC pack sales model of old. The pack sales would cover development cost.

If it does well enough, maybe they could line up packs through 2019 and sell a Season Pass. They could give us a couple more Clone Wars packs, a legacy pack from the 2015 game, a pack from Star Wars Rebels, maybe a pack from the new Resistance cartoon, and then a pack for Episode 9 after the movie comes out.

EDIT: when I say "maps for all modes", I mean BOTH large game modes and small game modes get new maps with each planet added. No leaving out large game modes like in the 2015 DLC packs. Starfighter Assault would get a new map where it makes sense for the planet, like Coruscant would obviously be perfect with the opening of Revenge of the Sith.

I don't think they can do that. At the beginning they advertised all FREE dlc at launch. Charging later can have legal implications.
  • bfloo
    16152 posts Member
    blaz3r wrote: »

General Grievous
    Obi-Wan

My vote would be YES.

I don't think they can do that. At the beginning they advertised all FREE dlc at launch. Charging later can have legal implications.

EA said there was 'none planned at this time' back during the beta or reveal..
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• RyanK388
    1906 posts Member
    Price tag for dlc I
  • bfloo wrote: »
    blaz3r wrote: »

EA said there was 'none planned at this time' back during the beta or reveal..

I am sure there is fine print somewhere providing a legal loophole for them to start charging for the DLC again.
  • VaperEyes
    641 posts Member
    Pay for an expansion pack - what a concept? If I recall correctly, expansion packs have been around for more than ten years as 'take it or leave it' deals. Yes, I'd pay for another expansion pack if better than my Iden Versio collection.
    Seems like brain damage since the Loot boxes went away.....I'm out
  • RyanK388 wrote: »
    mtxs are illegal now

Ooooooooooooo.....K.
  • forsa6200
    217 posts Member
    The only thing i hate about dlc is that its splitting up the community... after a while ppl will go back to vanilla maps 24/7. Happens in any game.

• forsa6200 wrote: »
    The only thing i hate about dlc is that its splitting up the community... after a while ppl will go back to vanilla maps 24/7. Happens in any game.

I hear this a lot.

Yet on PS4 Battlefront 2015 I can still find an Outer Rim match, 2 years later.
  • Gioroggia
    184 posts Member
    Nope. Game is not worth any money while it still has daunting balance issues.
  • Only if these DLC's had modes like WA, Turning Point and Supremacy.