criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

Lag source?

Prev1
rebuiltHK47
246 posts Member
edited June 2018
Edit: It has been brought to my attention, that the IP of 159.153.38.49 is owned by E.A., but it's geographically located in London, England.

That's right! If you are connecting to this IP, and you live in the U.S., you are being connected to a Europe server (data center or something most likely) before being sent back here to the U.S. That's assuming that I'm being sent back to the U.S.

I'm having worse lag then most because the IP 172.20.211.198 is having massive issues, it's the first IP in the route, and that's a private IP so there's nothing I can do. There is no ISP to call, I already called my cellular provider, and they said that it's all the game, which I already knew.

So... I'm being connected to an IP in California England, despite the game set to connect to a server in Ohio. The Ohio server is 67ms. Guess what my ping to the Calif London server is. It's not 67. It's much much much higher. It's not 120, it's not 240. 846ms. That's right! Sure it drops down to 160 at minimum. But most of the time it's above that.

I cannot play like this. This is the only IP I'm connecting to. Whether it's the game server, which I am confident it's not, being routed there is really really really bad.

I'm not the only one being routed there. Many others are being routed to 159.153.38.49. This can be found with Windows Resource Monitor. Everyone being routed to this IP, are experiencing the intense amount of lag. Unplayable lag.

"So long as you continue to be so predictable I need not face you at all. You are your own worst enemy".- Tassadar

Did someone beat you in the game fairly and you're upset? Was it not bugged or due to lag or a hack and it made you cry? Then please fill out this form and follow it's instructions for sending to the appropriate people.
Post edited by rebuiltHK47 on

Replies

• Seriously, the highest one I know of is in South Africa, and two days ago that was 246. You should check with Tech support.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.

• "So long as you continue to be so predictable I need not face you at all. You are your own worst enemy".- Tassadar

Did someone beat you in the game fairly and you're upset? Was it not bugged or due to lag or a hack and it made you cry? Then please fill out this form and follow it's instructions for sending to the appropriate people.
  • FYI, That other one isn't mine, just the only other post that has figured this out.

"So long as you continue to be so predictable I need not face you at all. You are your own worst enemy".- Tassadar

• What I hate the most, is that the chat box can't be used when lagging.

Today it's been lots of 5k and 10k ms. The last week has been mostly the same. It's only in this game.

One thing that doesn't make sense, is that the lag usually goes away when you die. So whatever is causing this lag, it's also not resetting things right. This crap has to stop. STOP using that IP. STOP routing people through that.

I've been in lag stunlock (what I call it) while typing this out. I was just booted from the server while typing the previous sentence for being idle for too long. I was also on a great team against another great team. It was nice and balanced. Thanks E.A. Thank you so much for your craptastic service. I am so ***** off. I don't care if I die in the game. I care if I die because the bad network setup is getting me killed, not because I wasn't paying attention and someone got me, or I was defeated by someone doing better than me. I care that when I get a hero, if I pop my head out, I will most definitely lag up and be unable to move, and then die. All that effort and teamwork, down the drain. A huge waste of time.

Care to guess how many times I've been able to play with no lag since the game launched?

Go ahead, guess.

It's not 20.

It's not 10.

It's less than 5.

If you guessed 2, you would be correct. That's how many days I've been able to play at 98% lag free.

Guess how many sessions I've played. It's more than 20. My motivation is so low to play because I know I'm going to be playing Lagfront, not Battlefront. I'm playing Lag Wars. That's not fun.

I have no issues with any other game. Only this one. Why? because I am being sent to an IP in CALIFORNIA at a massive 200 - 9000ms, instead of the selected IP in OHIO at a minimum of 60ms!

Fix this crap ASAP. Acknowledge that this is an issue. Better yet, acknowledge that it is happening. No, acknowledging it will not drive us to want it changed. That drive is already there, now it needs to just be done. The damage is already done. Ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away, and it only delays the inevitable.

Anyone else reading this: Open the game, sit in the main menu, open Windows Resource Monitor, go to the Network tab, select "starwarsbattlefrontii.exe" in the "Processes with Network Activity" section, then under "TCP Connections" the top item in the list will show what IP you are connected to under "Remote Address". If you are connecting to 159.153.38.49 and your game is set to a server somewhere not in Calif, that is why you are lagging.

• Just a suggestion. I used to work for a cable company. Such a severe issue might be a physical problem with cable wiring either in the main pole-to-pole trunk line or drop-line to the house. Lastly, apartment/house wiring issues. Just trying to offer a helpful suggestion.
  • Nope. Does not apply. Using phone tether. This isn't on our end. Others aren't and still have the issue. Everyone is being routed to that IP.

• F03hammer
    5012 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    @MLGGrandMasterBroda
    This random lag issue is making a bit more sense
    Voluntary Star Wars Battlefront Moderator

28zvwf.jpg
    GT XBOX:
    buyakashak

• SVEJ
    1162 posts Member
    ALL servers in NA point to California, they confirmed it already, sbmm is in the game and it's also a big reason that lag is so huge, DICE went backwards for swbf2, wasnt hard to improve ons wbf2015 but gotta hand it to dice for not knowing how to make a good sequel. only good sequel they did imo was bad company 2.
  • Where did they confirm that all NA servers point to Calif? Because I'm pointed there even when sitting in the menu. My GAME is connecting to Calif regardless of being in the menu or playing multiplayer. I should only be connecting to the Calif server in the menu if it's the cloud storage or something like that. I shouldn't be routed through that just to play multiplayer. Going from me to Calif, to Ohio, to Calif, and back to me, is excessive and a huge problem. It's also really bad networking.

SBMM doesn't affect the connection. And I doubt it's in the game, because if it is, it doesn't work at all.

• MLGGrandMasterBroda
    2910 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I have been asking for a fix to lag since the beta, but we've heard nothing about this issue since December when they had a pinned latency thread that was removed. I'd like to see a "Focused Feedback - Connectivity" in the near future. @F8RGE @T0TALfps

I haven't been playing as much lately since I've been a lot busier with work stuff since it's now summer, but I didn't get much lag the day I tried Season 2. I'll probably try to play for a bit this weekend and see if I get any lag.

Matchmaking is also really bad, especially in Showdown, so I'd like to see this get a fix as well. If a player quits it can take 5+ minutes to find another player sometimes.
    The best Yoda loadout: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AveJpgcuWkNfdw7ZwgFzn3T3O8g

How to effectively play Yoda: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/97820/i-have-waited-a-long-time-for-this-moment-my-little-green-friend-yoda-guide

General discussions about Yoda: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/98884/general-discussions-about-yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?"

"Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."

giphy.gif
    Links to all my Yoda tips/discussions in the spoiler tag to save space. ^^^

Respect your fellow users (and Yoda), help improve the game and have a great day!
  • Ahh but your on the pc master race after all, git gud
  • Ahh but your on the pc master race after all, git gud

Oh that's right. I'm lagging because I'm not good. If I play more, the lag will go away. :D

• F03hammer
    5012 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    Ahh but your on the pc master race after all, git gud

Oh that's right. I'm lagging because I'm not good. If I play more, the lag will go away. :D

That's how it works in sports.
    i8josiv66tl7.jpg
    Voluntary Star Wars Battlefront Moderator

28zvwf.jpg
    GT XBOX:
    buyakashak

• Rook008
    838 posts Member
    That's weird that you're connecting to a server in California, and 846ms is pretty high for a connection to another point in the US.
    I don't have the game for PC but I did run traceroute and ping commands on my PC to the IP address you listed, and got much lower numbers (88ms average from NYC to 159.153.38.49). I think hop 8 is in Ireland, which is a weird route for data to take from NYC to California.

Does the game connect to any other servers while you play (after you exit the menu and are in a game lobby)?

gyb5t8vb2tck.jpg

Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • SVEJ
    1162 posts Member
    also forgot to mention but Skill Based Matchmaking makes a huge difference in online play, for some unknown reason the intelligent minds at DICE like Denis (sarcasm not intelligent) decided to add SBMM to star wars for some dumb reason, thanks for all the lag Denis!
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    That's weird that you're connecting to a server in California, and 846ms is pretty high for a connection to another point in the US.
    I don't have the game for PC but I did run traceroute and ping commands on my PC to the IP address you listed, and got much lower numbers (88ms average from NYC to 159.153.38.49). I think hop 8 is in Ireland, which is a weird route for data to take from NYC to California.

Does the game connect to any other servers while you play (after you exit the menu and are in a game lobby)?

gyb5t8vb2tck.jpg

The server doesn't change between when in the menu and lobby. It stays at that calif IP the whole time.

• Rook008
    838 posts Member
    And it's the only server the game connects to?
  • Yup. It hasn't been connecting to anything else.

When I play STO, the IP changes. When I play SWTOR, I'm not connected directly to the East Coast server, I'm connected to 159.153.65.226 (twice for some reason) which is in the same place as the Battlefront 2 IP I'm connecting to (Redwood City, Calif). However my latency doesn't go above 150, and is most often below 100 (in-game meter at this very moment shows me below 100ms). IMO I should be connected straight to the server, not some place in Calif, then to the server. I also have both SWTOR and STO open at the same time, and those are my latency times.

So whatever is going on with SWBF2, it's really bad and causing many many issues. It's nice to have the connection indicator in the game, but with nothing to tell you what the latency is at in real time, it's only half useful as I can lag up to 3kms, but the game shows 3 of 4 bars.

I hope someone in E.A. answers contacts me to help out soon. I'm not impatient, I'd just like to get back into the game again and have fun, not lag. I wanna play Battlefront, not Battlelag.

• So today is the first day I was connecting to 12 different IPs WHILE PLAYING a match. 6 of them were constant connections. They disappeared before I could post them. Most were above 250ms. One was above 1k ms the whole time.

However, I am still primarily connected to 159.153.38.49 the entire time, and that is still where I'm lagging the most.

• I think the other IPs came from me forgetting to make my phone choose 3G instead of LTE. LTE at my house is flaky with the signal. I usually keep it on 3G, but I changed it earlier in the day and didn't think to change it back.

• RustyBarnacles
    1347 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I think the other IPs came from me forgetting to make my phone choose 3G instead of LTE. LTE at my house is flaky with the signal. I usually keep it on 3G, but I changed it earlier in the day and didn't think to change it back.

Please tell me you are not playing the game via Wi-Fi hotspot through your phone's data connection and complaining about lag.
  • I used to play RIFT with my cellphone connection (the original Droid phone) and it worked pretty well as long as I had four bars on the connection! B)

KC
  • I think the other IPs came from me forgetting to make my phone choose 3G instead of LTE. LTE at my house is flaky with the signal. I usually keep it on 3G, but I changed it earlier in the day and didn't think to change it back.

Please tell me you are not playing the game via Wi-Fi hotspot through your phone's data connection and complaining about lag.

If you look through my posts on this thread, you will have the answer. It's a good idea to read the posts carefully and thoroughly to know what's going on before posting.

• Spiito
    1877 posts Member
    Meanwhile the source of my own lag today is my bad internet connection.

Ugh. I've been dropped out of 4 or 5 games. It's not usually as bad as this.
    Han Solo: "We're gonna win."
    Qi'ra: "It’s not that kind of game, Han. The object is not to win but to stay in it as long as you can."
  • For a visual idea of what's going on for me, I posted a link to a video explaining what's going on, as well as some pictures over here on my answers.ea post.

Some might try to argue that it's the route. I would agree were it not for this having been a problem at all times. Also, the route wouldn't be a problem were I not being sent to the wrong IP. UO-trace shows that there's really nothing wrong between me and the Calif IP, and the same for between me and the suggested domain to test to in the troubleshooting guide. And I've said it several times already, when I play SWTOR, I have no issues and my latency stays below 100ms most of the time. Yet even with that, being connected to the East Coast server, I'm being routed through California before getting there, which is a dumb thing to do. The Calif server for SWTOR is the only IP that Windows Resource Monitor picks up, just like the one for SWBF2. They're not the same IP, but it's in the same city. I'm sure I'm being routed to the correct server for SWTOR, but SWBF2 isn't, as can be seen in the video.

• This strikes me as a very important finding.

I, too, end up with a single TCP connection, to that same California server. Keep in mind that I live near Toronto and the server the game indicates is best for me is typically Ohio, around 35ms (with a FPS of around 70 (I live in the country)).

Today, while playing, the game went into one of its periodic unbearable lag modes. On a hunch, I checked resmon and that TCP connection’s latency was 2100(!). Keep in mind, FPS read 70 and Ohio read 35. I did a tracert to that IP, 166. I quit the game, restarted, and lo and behold its TCP connection to that server was 110.

That begs two questions: why is it connecting to California instead of Ohio, what causes that latency spike and why does restarting correct it?
  • rebuiltHK47
    246 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    This strikes me as a very important finding.

I, too, end up with a single TCP connection, to that same California server. Keep in mind that I live near Toronto and the server the game indicates is best for me is typically Ohio, around 35ms (with a FPS of around 70 (I live in the country)).

Today, while playing, the game went into one of its periodic unbearable lag modes. On a hunch, I checked resmon and that TCP connection’s latency was 2100(!). Keep in mind, FPS read 70 and Ohio read 35. I did a tracert to that IP, 166. I quit the game, restarted, and lo and behold its TCP connection to that server was 110.

That begs two questions: why is it connecting to California instead of Ohio, what causes that latency spike and why does restarting correct it?

To answer your questions: Restarting the game doesn't fix it. The main cause is the route. There's something between us and them that is causing the problem. The trouble is not a constant thing. This can be seen by running ping -t to the Calif IP, and when you see it spike, run a trace route. Running a few (approx. 5) traceroutes to that IP, you'll see there are some IPs that have a problem.

You can see what I mean in the video when I describe which traceroutes are from when (when it was or wasn't encountering a lag spike).

We shouldn't be connecting there in the first place. I found this out here on reddit. Some in the comments say that they are in Calif and have the same problem.

Side Note: FPS stands for Frames Per-Second. That's not affected by anything but your RAM, CPU, and GPU. Internet has nothing to do with it. I live in a rural area myself, hence the need for using phone tether as there are no other internet options.

If you look through my posts on this thread, you will have the answer. It's a good idea to read the posts carefully and thoroughly to know what's going on before posting.

I did look through your posts. That's why the one I quoted sent a red flag.

The networking is garbage. We already know that. It's apparent on all platforms.

I don't see however, what your phone has to Do with anything and how it fits in to this.
  • Rook008
    838 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    The main cause is the route. There's something between us and them that is causing the problem.

That's the first time I've seen anyone on these forums mention the route.
    We shouldn't be connecting there in the first place.

This is probably true for most players not located in the western U.S. Why people are connecting to that address can only be answered by EA. And they don't seem to want to share.

Edit: I didn't see that you mentioned another IP, 159.153.65.226.

Using a geo-location site instead of ARIN I got this, which seems to make more sense:

159.153.38.49 - 88ms ping - located in London England ?!?
    159.153.65.226 - 10ms ping - located in Washington DC.

I really should have thought of this sooner.

Post edited by Rook008 on

I did look through your posts. That's why the one I quoted sent a red flag.

The networking is garbage. We already know that. It's apparent on all platforms.

I don't see however, what your phone has to Do with anything and how it fits in to this.

Then I'll clarify.

Recitation: One of my previous posts: "Nope. Does not apply. Using phone tether. This isn't on our end. Others aren't and still have the issue. Everyone is being routed to that IP."

Clarification: That was in response to the suggestion that it is an issue with a line to my house. That, along with other evidence, also makes it CLEAR that I am not using some Wi-Fi hot spot to try and play and whining about lag, as you put it.

Commentary: You should have picked up on that in reading the previous posts carefully and thoroughly, if you actually did. There would have been no red flags or confusion.

Conclusion: Therefore, it has to do with it not mattering what the connection type is, and that none of the standard "it's the player's network" troubleshooting applies. Both of those remove 90% of the problem away from me, and on E.A. and their bad network setup. That's practically everything.

Query: Does the meatbag understand now, or is more required?

• The ( several ) companies that own the various routes from your ISP to EA data centre locations control when and how packets are routed according to traffic management policies. So not your ISP or EA although via contracts they may have some influence
  • Static IP and QoS setting on my router instantly cured my lag. I play on a 3.5meg average ASDL line on a server in Ireland with a 200ms ping. Before the QoS setting I experienced terrable lag with troopers teleporting all over the place.
  • The ( several ) companies that own the various routes from your ISP to EA data centre locations control when and how packets are routed according to traffic management policies. So not your ISP or EA although via contracts they may have some influence

I'd love to blame the route in it's entirety, but not being sent to the right IP in the first place is on E.A. Until then, it's their fault. Check the images below (or next page).
    Static IP and QoS setting on my router instantly cured my lag. I play on a 3.5meg average ASDL line on a server in Ireland with a 200ms ping. Before the QoS setting I experienced terrable lag with troopers teleporting all over the place.

I'm glad you got yours fixed. Unfortunately that doesn't apply to me.

• I finally remembered to take a screenshot showing what's happening.

p5c00kxzso04.jpg

5ncqcmc0ai2j.jpg

So... what's the deal? This needs to be corrected. I'm not the only one with this issue, as I have said many times before.

The poor AHQ person can't help me because this is not something they can change. *IF* you truly care about the players, you would make a change.

There's been plenty of content communication. There has been zero communication about the latency problem. You already tried to do something to alleviate the lag, but it was only a minor adjustment.

This is still a main source that NEEDS to be dealt with. Start with acknowledging it. Then tell us something is being done to change it, then tell us what is being done. As long as you aren't telling us your programs and the hardware specs, you're not giving away secrets.

• To see the above images clearly, you have to right-click them and open them in a new tab.

• LeftTurnus
    1099 posts Member
    I finally remembered to take a screenshot showing what's happening.

p5c00kxzso04.jpg

5ncqcmc0ai2j.jpg

So... what's the deal? This needs to be corrected. I'm not the only one with this issue, as I have said many times before.

The poor AHQ person can't help me because this is not something they can change. *IF* you truly care about the players, you would make a change.

There's been plenty of content communication. There has been zero communication about the latency problem. You already tried to do something to alleviate the lag, but it was only a minor adjustment.

This is still a main source that NEEDS to be dealt with. Start with acknowledging it. Then tell us something is being done to change it, then tell us what is being done. As long as you aren't telling us your programs and the hardware specs, you're not giving away secrets.

EA has not to this day, and probably never will, comment on the goofy net traffic routes or the latency suffered in their games.
    The most I have ever heard them say was how improved their net code was for BF4, which of course turned out to be a big pile of bull as at that point it was the worst of any of their prior games.
  • I don't expect them to.

So, the EA AHQ person said that my problem really is the route. Now... that could very well be a major factor, as I am not going to disagree with. They pointed out that I am being routed through parts of Europe. I have confirmed that the IPs are there. Notice in the following image that hops 11 to 14 are Europe IP addresses.
    065bvd2ftc48.jpg

Funny thing, when I trace to 216.58.192.206 (Google.com) or 172.217.8.174 (Youtube.com) or 159.153.92.41 (swtor.com) I don't get routed there. Only when connecting to a game server (STO, SWTOR, EASWBF2, SC2).

As I have mentioned, regardless, I shouldn't be connecting to the Calif IP for SWBF2 when Ohio is my selected server. I also don't understand why an East Coast server for SWTOR has a Calif IP.

• Rook008
    838 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Those traceroutes, except maybe the last one, look pretty bad.
    Ping times going up and down to the same IP, and big numbers starting with the second or third hop.

Also, I don't think 159.153.38.49 is located in California. The company who controls those IP addresses, EA, is located in California. The actual data centers are spread out. I think 159.153.38.49 is located in the U.K. I have no idea why you guys are connecting there. That is a problem on EA's end.

I put 159.153.38.49 into the box at the top right of this site: https://db-ip.com/ and I get London. That makes more sense than California because of the ping times.

While I do think the EA server setup has problems, those traceroutes show that your connection to them is not at all good.
    nnwgyv25zsp5.jpg

Those traceroutes, except maybe the last one, look pretty bad.
    Ping times going up and down to the same IP, and big numbers starting with the second or third hop.

Also, I don't think 159.153.38.49 is located in California. The company who controls those IP addresses, EA, is located in California. The actual data centers are spread out. I think 159.153.38.49 is located in the U.K. I have no idea why you guys are connecting there. That is a problem on EA's end.

I put 159.153.38.49 into the box at the top right of this site: https://db-ip.com/ and I get London. That makes more sense than California because of the ping times.

While I do think the EA server setup has problems, those traceroutes show that your connection to them is not at all good.
    nnwgyv25zsp5.jpg

HA HA HA! WOW!

When I search that IP here it tells me that it's in Redwood City, CA. Same thing when I Google search "lookup 159.153.38.49". Same when searching the domain associated with that IP.

The last one in the image was just as bad as the others. Being routed to the EU like that starting at hop 11 is definitely a big source of the issue. Maybe I can call and find out what the deal is. I might try AT&T, but my service is Straight Talk using the AT&T network.

• Rook008
    838 posts Member
    From your link:
    WHOIS IP Lookup Tool
    The IPWHOIS Lookup tool finds contact information for the owner of a specified IP address.

Contact information is not the same as geographic location. EA is headquartered in Redwood City, CA.
    I though it was weird that my tracert shows that hop 7 is in the UK, so I used a site that tries to find geographic locations instead of information on the entity that controls the IP address. Why would a connection be routed to the UK only to bounce back to the US? It makes much more sense that the destination is in the UK.

Also, I checked 159.153.65.226 and compared it to 159.153.38.49. Note that I'm in New York.

Using your site:
    159.153.38.49 location: California ping: 89ms
    159.153.65.226 location: California ping: 10ms

Using my site:
    159.153.38.49 location: United Kingdom ping: 89ms
    159.153.65.226 location: Washington DC ping: 10ms

Also, when I check the "ping site" info in the game, the numbers match up with the site I was using.

• rebuiltHK47
    246 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Oh crud, I didn't even see that it said "contact information". I feel dumb now.

Hmmm... Now my brain is being wrenched even further. I'm clearly not the only one being sent to this IP. If it's in the UK, why are US players being sent there?! I'm interested in seeing what the AHQ person has to say about it.

• Here's a fun fact: If you're lagging (unable to move and forced into first person), THERE IS NO WAY TO ACCESS THE MENU!

Fun fact 2: If you're lagging (unable to move and forced into first person) at around 1k+ms and the match ends, YOU GET NO REWARDS regardless of how well you did!!!!!

WHAT A BRILLIANT DESIGN!

• Anyone else reading this: Open the game, sit in the main menu, open Windows Resource Monitor, go to the Network tab, select "starwarsbattlefrontii.exe" in the "Processes with Network Activity" section, then under "TCP Connections" the top item in the list will show what IP you are connected to under "Remote Address". If you are connecting to 159.153.38.49 and your game is set to a server somewhere not in Calif, that is why you are lagging.

After some more digging, I think this is a flawed analysis. "starwarsbattlefrontii.exe" might be pointing there, but "origin.exe" is pointing to the appropriate servers. If you look for "origin.exe" in "TCP Connections", you'll see the various servers (Ohio, Virginia, ...) there. So what you need to do is a tracert to the appropriate server and see why it's slow.

When my connection is bad, tracert always seems to get stuck at a server in Seattle (not the straightest line between Toronto and Virginia). The IP is 52.95.217.108, which is an Amazon hosting provider. So maybe EA isn’t paying Amazon enough or maybe Amazon isn’t delivering, but they may be real villain in this story.
  • rebuiltHK47
    246 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Anyone else reading this: Open the game, sit in the main menu, open Windows Resource Monitor, go to the Network tab, select "starwarsbattlefrontii.exe" in the "Processes with Network Activity" section, then under "TCP Connections" the top item in the list will show what IP you are connected to under "Remote Address". If you are connecting to 159.153.38.49 and your game is set to a server somewhere not in Calif, that is why you are lagging.

After some more digging, I think this is a flawed analysis. "starwarsbattlefrontii.exe" might be pointing there, but "origin.exe" is pointing to the appropriate servers. If you look for "origin.exe" in "TCP Connections", you'll see the various servers (Ohio, Virginia, ...) there. So what you need to do is a tracert to the appropriate server and see why it's slow.

When my connection is bad, tracert always seems to get stuck at a server in Seattle (not the straightest line between Toronto and Virginia). The IP is 52.95.217.108, which is an Amazon hosting provider. So maybe EA isn’t paying Amazon enough or maybe Amazon isn’t delivering, but they may be real villain in this story.

I never considered Origin to be the one that connects to the game server, since it's the game that's supposed to do that, not the game client. Just like Steam doesn't connect STO to the Holodeck server, STO connects to the Holodeck server.

When I lag, the lag spikes at the same time to 159.153.38.49. It shouldn't do that if I'm connecting to a different server unless something on the route is the same.

I checked while in the game, I am not connecting to any IP in Ohio through Origin.
    Post edited by rebuiltHK47 on

• Rook008
    838 posts Member
    "starwarsbattlefrontii.exe" might be pointing there, but "origin.exe" is pointing to the appropriate servers. If you look for "origin.exe" in "TCP Connections", you'll see the various servers (Ohio, Virginia, ...) there.

That makes sense as the game probably plays multiplayer matches on one set of real-time servers while it collects data (like progression status) on another set of less time sensitive servers.

• They really need to fix their lag. Or they need to make it to where the players that are suffering from their lag are not chosen as the target. Because I lost my team, 3 points because of this lag. It is not my connection, it is their servers; because this issue only happens in this game.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
    "starwarsbattlefrontii.exe" might be pointing there, but "origin.exe" is pointing to the appropriate servers. If you look for "origin.exe" in "TCP Connections", you'll see the various servers (Ohio, Virginia, ...) there.

That makes sense as the game probably plays multiplayer matches on one set of real-time servers while it collects data (like progression status) on another set of less time sensitive servers.

That is the most likely setup for the servers, but that's not how client/game setup operates. The client does it's thing, the game does it's thing. The client doesn't control what the game does, nor the does the game control the client. The client is simply how the game itself is accessed.

Aside from that's how things function, the fact that no Ohio IP addresses showed up from Origin when I was playing (despite BF2 being connected to an Ohio server) proves this. They were all D.C. or Chicago.

• I checked while in the game, I am not connecting to any IP in Ohio through Origin.

That's surprising. What IPs are you seeing Origin.exe have TCP connections to?

• I checked while in the game, I am not connecting to any IP in Ohio through Origin.

D.C. and Chicago.

As I stated, the client doesn't handle what servers the game connects to. The game itself does that. The client just handles purchases, updates, data backup, and downloading.

D.C. and Chicago.

As I stated, the client doesn't handle what servers the game connects to. The game itself does that. The client just handles purchases, updates, data backup, and downloading.

I have no idea how it works, but I'm a little skeptical of your explanation (although I'm by no means saying it is wrong). If that's all the client is doing, why does the client have open TCP connections to Viriginia, DC, Illinois, etc.?