criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Wow, Strike is actually a lot of fun

Prev134
Jbstiner
2708 posts Member
Since November, 99% of my games have been GA. I played a few matches of Strike in November, but tended to prefer the larger scale battles.

But over the past several days I've had a lot of trouble finding GA matches, so I decided to give Strike a go again and I was quite pleasantly surprised how much fun I had. Teams have been much better balanced that they have been in GA lately and the instant intense action is pretty awesome.

Just a couple of things I noticed:
  • While I love using enforcers on GA, I find that my officer can be much more effective on some of the maps. In fact, I found the WW to be rather ineffective on a couple of the maps
  • Rocket troopers can carry the package??? Sorry if I'm late to the game on this one...;)
  • Would love to see Strike come to Jabba's Palace

Now I just need to learn the maps, lol...
My Wookie went to Scarif and all I got was this lousy t-shirt...

Replies

• Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    OOM19 wrote: »
    Congrats on taking 6 months to access the best mode in the game

You also killed yourself on credits, hahaha! :p

LOL

Yeah, I completely forgot to mention the credits in my post. But yes, I definitely noticed that :smile:
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    Jbstiner wrote: »
    Teams have been much better balanced that they have been in GA lately and the instant intense action is pretty awesome..

Of course the Match Making balance is superior. The more players you add to a game mode the worse teamwork and coordination becomes

It also diminishes the reward factor. If you beat one enemy, there are 19 others to take his place but if you defeat the top player in a 8v8 Lobby well then that actually really hurts

Strike is the most competitive and relaxing game mode in the game

It's why in most games the real competitive scene is limited to 9 or 6v6
  • Dash
    11742 posts Member
    Yeah, If I’m not in GA chances are you’ll find me in Strike or HVV/Showdown. LOVE Strike. :sunglasses:
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon

Licensed REALTOR®
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    Strike is fun.

Hope it comes to Crait and the BF15 maps.

Also, rocket troopers are valuable enough they don’t need to be able to take the package.
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    Teams have been much better balanced that they have been in GA lately and the instant intense action is pretty awesome..

Of course the Match Making balance is superior. The more players you add to a game mode the worse teamwork and coordination becomes

It also diminishes the reward factor. If you beat one enemy, there are 19 others to take his place but if you defeat the top player in a 8v8 Lobby well then that actually really hurts

Strangely, I agree that it is more relaxing than the other modes. No one randomly camping in spawn areas, no death from above and no heroes definitely makes for a better trooper experience.
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    Yup... welcome to Strike!

Agree with OOM. My favorite mode since it reminds me of other competitive FPS I use to play that were smaller teams. It’s way more satisfying if both teams play smart/strategically, which actually happens fairly often even when playing with randoms with no mic communication.

I had a couple of matches where my team was incredibly disorganized, but most of the matches have been fantastic in terms of the entire team PTOing.
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    I only play Strike and Blast. Even with its faults, a good Strike match can get pretty intense.

Absolutely. But as @OOM19 mentioned, it is strangely more relaxing than GA at the same time. Maybe it's because you know that if you die you won't get tossed into a running simulator, lol...
  • Jbstiner wrote: »
    I only play Strike and Blast. Even with its faults, a good Strike match can get pretty intense.

Absolutely. But as @OOM19 mentioned, it is strangely more relaxing than GA at the same time. Maybe it's because you know that if you die you won't get tossed into a running simulator, lol...

I guess I just feel it’s more based on gunplay. Which in my opinion, is what makes Battlefront Battlefront.
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member

I guess I just feel it’s more based on gunplay. Which in my opinion, is what makes Battlefront Battlefront.

I agree. It puts the focus entirely on the troopers, which is a welcome change for me from GA.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member

I agree. It puts the focus entirely on the troopers, which is a welcome change for me from GA.

Agreed. Everyone concerned about getting battle points for “their” hero makes GA feel less fun (and less relaxed) and less about the actual objective of winning the match compared to Strike.
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member

Agreed. Everyone concerned about getting battle points for “their” hero makes GA feel less fun (and less relaxed) and less about the actual objective of winning the match compared to Strike.

I also feel that on GA, if you die in the wrong spot, it can be very difficult to get back into the flow of the game. Not so much with Strike.
  • Assassino37
    1104 posts Member
    It gets as intense as cargo from the last game. It's my favorite mode. I don't know why Jabba's Palace wasn't added as a map though. I didn't care for it much in HvV and it feels too intricate in Blast (because of the occasional poor spawns in that mode).

But you are right about enforcers, they aren't always the best option on some maps in some situations. The maps are ripped straight from GA so you should be familiar with them since you played GA so much.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • I get that the game has issues, but I've found that just playing Strike and Blast eliminate many of those issues. I'm always surprised that more players don't play these modes.

I also think the learning curve for new players and less skilled players (like myself) isn't as steep in these modes. The smaller maps and more focused goals really help.
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    You’re late to the party
    Psn: Jello770
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    Jello770 wrote: »
    You’re late to the party

Better late than never! ;)
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    It gets as intense as cargo from the last game. It's my favorite mode. I don't know why Jabba's Palace wasn't added as a map though. I didn't care for it much in HvV and it feels too intricate in Blast (because of the occasional poor spawns in that mode).

But you are right about enforcers, they aren't always the best option on some maps in some situations. The maps are ripped straight from GA so you should be familiar with them since you played GA so much.

Was never a fan of Cargo, but loved drop zone and droid run (to a lesser extent).

As for the maps, it's more just learning how the objectives fit into the maps, not necessarily the maps themselves. Also learning where the various spawn points are so i know where to expect the enemies to come from.
  • VaperEyes
    644 posts Member
    Everybody's perspective on this post is good
    >Less stress; forced to work as a team; not a lot of farming for Hero points; best place for new players (I stay away for this reason - gives them a chance to learn the controls before GA); not much room for the cheaters either - they instantly kill the game mode
    Why is this mode in this game? Why not invite a bigger crowd? What would GA look like without the Heroes?
    >Farming for points to spawn a Hero is definitely a progression issue that will haunt this game to the last day. Some see heroes and take a lunch - leaving like 5 players to fight the other side. Or, upset they don't get a hero all match and rage quit or stop trying.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    VaperEyes wrote: »
    Everybody's perspective on this post is good
    >Less stress; forced to work as a team; not a lot of farming for Hero points; best place for new players (I stay away for this reason - gives them a chance to learn the controls before GA).

I don’t think this game mode is full of new players though... (although I am usually first or second place, so maybe lol?) No really, I think there are plenty of people who just like this mode more.

• Strike can be a lot of fun with balanced teams and make for some of the most tense gameplay in BF2 especially if it goes to round 3. I used to play it a ton but rarely now as the maps have gotten stale. If they add more with Season 2 i'll be back.
  • Empire_TW
    7402 posts Member
    Yeah strike is pretty underrated, it was what I played in the beta the most. It was my main mode on launch after unlocking everything but I've been doing GA for the past few months to get my big battle fill. Think i'll be going back to it full time soon.

The only problems with the mode is teammates, it sucks being the only one pushing the objective while your teammates are giving "sniper support".

The reinforcements really have use here, I'm not really inclined to be enforcers in GA that much and am never the aerial. But in this mode the aerial really shines. I don't mind that they can carry an objective because once you get yourself used to knowing about this tactic it is pretty easy to counter.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    Yeah strike is pretty underrated, it was what I played in the beta the most. It was my main mode on launch after unlocking everything but I've been doing GA for the past few months to get my big battle fill. Think i'll be going back to it full time soon.

The only problems with the mode is teammates, it sucks being the only one pushing the objective while your teammates are giving "sniper support".

The reinforcements really have use here, I'm not really inclined to be enforcers in GA that much and am never the aerial. But in this mode the aerial really shines. I don't mind that they can carry an objective because once you get yourself used to knowing about this tactic it is pretty easy to counter.

I love the Death Trooper on Strike, but the WW not so much. As for the aerial trooper, I never use them (I never used the jumppack in BF15, either). And I agree about knowing the tactic - the second time I saw an aerial carrying the package I made a beeline towards to ship, planted my turret and took that SOB out, lol...
  • H4YW1R3
    63 posts Member

That's why I wish we had a server browser and private servers. I'd love to have the option to play GA without heroes. I stick to Blast mode and never play GA due to the hero cheese. I'd love to experience GA size maps and battles on the more level playing field of trooper vs trooper.

Don't get me wrong, Heroes are a big part of the Star Wars universe, and they're rightly part of GA, but it would just be nice to have the option of GA without them for those of us who prefer a more level playing field without the easy mode Hero cheese that dominates the default GA mode.
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    H4YW1R3 wrote: »

That's why I wish we had a server browser and private servers. I'd love to have the option to play GA without heroes. I stick to Blast mode and never play GA due to the hero cheese. I'd love to experience GA size maps and battles on the more level playing field of trooper vs trooper.

Don't get me wrong, Heroes are a big part of the Star Wars universe, and they're rightly part of GA, but it would just be nice to have the option of GA without them for those of us who prefer a more level playing field without the easy mode Hero cheese that dominates the default GA mode.

<cough> Turning Point <cough> ;)
  • Strike its the more Battlefield-like mode of this game, so I use to play too.
  • Love Strike - especially as the Assault class - and I don't play it enough. Everyone has to PTO, the teamwork feels more present (and rewarding), and the relaxing part, to me, is not having any heroes and villains around to completely wreck the end of a match (Throne Room comes to mind). I got back into the routine of playing GA, because I had a string of days where I could not find a match, for whatever reason. Time to get back in there!
  • Empire_TW
    7402 posts Member
    H4YW1R3 wrote: »

If I'm not mistaken heroes were originally gonna be in strike (I think there was an early trailer with Boba Fett being in the mode) but it was cut from the final version.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Strike can be lots of fun, but it can also become dominated by groups pub-stomping, so can have even worse match-ups than GA. You have to get lucky if you are a solo player.
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    Strike can be lots of fun, but it can also become dominated by groups pub-stomping, so can have even worse match-ups than GA. You have to get lucky if you are a solo player.

I will consider myself lucky because I have yet to see the same type of pub stomps on Strike as I have on GA. But I've only been playing Strike for a few days, so I'm definitely pulling from a small sample size... ;)

Quick question - where did "pub" come from? I only started playing video games again in 2015 when SWBF15 came out, so much of this lingo is new to me. I hear "pub stomp" and the first thing that comes to mind is a bar brawl, lol...
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member

I love the Death Trooper on Strike, but the WW not so much. As for the aerial trooper, I never use them (I never used the jumppack in BF15, either). And I agree about knowing the tactic - the second time I saw an aerial carrying the package I made a beeline towards to ship, planted my turret and took that SOB out, lol...

They’re all strong obviously but I actually rather have no reinforcements on strike
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member

They’re all strong obviously but I actually rather have no reinforcements on strike

That would work for me, also.

What would be nice is if you could trade your unused BPs for credits at the end of a match...
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Jello770 wrote: »
    You’re late to the party

Better late than never! ;)

That’s what she said
  • Best mode for me for 2 reasons: No heroes and the map changes every match.

Last night on Endor, with us Rebels trying to get the Package out that one large door, I got the rocket trooper out the door (sans package) but managed to get on top of one of the hangars and blasted my rocket at the Death Trooper covering the door! It was so intense. I'd never been up there before! They all turned around and realized I was up there, so they moved to the other side of the door. Man, I'm going to try that every time from now on, it was GREAT. That choke point is one of the biggest challenges in this entire game imo.
    "Rise."
  • Jbstiner wrote: »
    Quick question - where did "pub" come from? I only started playing video games again in 2015 when SWBF15 came out, so much of this lingo is new to me. I hear "pub stomp" and the first thing that comes to mind is a bar brawl, lol...

I've been gaming for ... a very long time. I believe "pub" predates "pug". I seem to have been using "pub" even in the Quake days.

PUB = public server, as opposed to a private server. So when you enter a public server, it was generally populated with "randoms", or random, ungrouped players.

PUG = originally was "pick up group" used to refer to a group of strangers who agreed to group up and game together. It later morphed into being any group of players who were strangers, and often used interchangeably with PUB.

A "pub stomp" or "pub stomping" is when a group of players join a public server and play against random, ungrouped players. They will generally have the advantage of voice chat, experience gaming together, possibly even designated classes/roles, and coordination.
  • They’re all strong obviously but I actually rather have no reinforcements on strike

Personally, I don't mind it. I kinda like the added strategy on when to spend the points and when to save them. It is also more important to take out a reinforcement, which again I feel adds to the strategy.
  • Strike is my main mode, too bad we killed it in our region. Can never find one now. Bring back drop zone, need to hit 3k wins again
  • VaperEyes
    644 posts Member
    again, dxmn good post with lots of shocking information that I didn't realize about Strike. Mabey I'll go back to playing a few pick-up matches on the weekend when the GA servers are full.
    I play a ton of GA for the vehicles (I like tanks and walkers) - get mad when I have to wait on my turn to drive (like a 3 year old). I didn't pick the name VaperEyes (vaporize) because it sounds cool. I NEED to blow up the entire map before I call it a night.
    *Strike needs a couple of 'nice' tanks and I'll be fighting that addiction monster again.*
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member

Personally, I don't mind it. I kinda like the added strategy on when to spend the points and when to save them. It is also more important to take out a reinforcement, which again I feel adds to the strategy.

Sure, there is strategy to it. I’m usually one of the first people with an Enforcer in the game, so it makes for a fun time, but sometimes one DT or WW can perform the objective of the whole Strike team without them, which takes the teamwork out of it.

Anyway, there should be more maps. Why are Blast maps not also Strike maps? Dumbb

• Strike is my main mode, too bad we killed it in our region. Can never find one now. Bring back drop zone, need to hit 3k wins again

Did you have a favorite load-out for Drop Zone? I struggled with that mode, esp. on Bespin, would always get slaughtered. Did you use the personal shield to get the pods or go the more offensive route with jump pack and scatter gun? Or none of the above?
    "Rise."
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Strike is my main mode, too bad we killed it in our region. Can never find one now. Bring back drop zone, need to hit 3k wins again

Did you have a favorite load-out for Drop Zone? I struggled with that mode, esp. on Bespin, would always get slaughtered. Did you use the personal shield to get the pods or go the more offensive route with jump pack and scatter gun? Or none of the above?

I used all of the above in DZ

I used to play this teamed with a partner, almost always. Think I had about 2.9k wins, 200 losses, most of those 200 were if I was solo and couldnt carry. My loadouts changes over time. I have a very aggressive playstyle, and my partner has the best aim I have ever seen so worked well. In the early days when Bowcasting was the meta I used to run shield, but then it just changed over time. I havent played for so long now so cant really remember, but then I remember that mode dying so then it was just a case of destroying walker assault. Im always tempted to go back but its basically dead in the AU region

I used to play this teamed with a partner, almost always. Think I had about 2.9k wins, 200 losses, most of those 200 were if I was solo and couldnt carry. My loadouts changes over time. I have a very aggressive playstyle, and my partner has the best aim I have ever seen so worked well. In the early days when Bowcasting was the meta I used to run shield, but then it just changed over time. I havent played for so long now so cant really remember, but then I remember that mode dying so then it was just a case of destroying walker assault. Im always tempted to go back but its basically dead in the AU region

Wow, that's an impressive win/loss ratio, dude! Oh man, Bowcasting! I sure don't miss getting killed by that OHK monster! haha
    "Rise."

Wow, that's an impressive win/loss ratio, dude! Oh man, Bowcasting! I sure don't miss getting killed by that OHK monster! haha

It was cancer, but all metas had their place. Original Bowcaster though, broke 100 on a couple of DZ maps with that....ridiculous. But then again, cranking 200+ in GA abusing vehicles was also amusing. Nothing like eating pizza in the ATAT on Sullust spawn farming and hitting 200+
  • Strike is great! It's one of my preferred modes because it's still objective based but a lot quicker than GA. Glad you discovered it haha!
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member
    Strike is my main mode, too bad we killed it in our region. Can never find one now. Bring back drop zone, need to hit 3k wins again

For DZ I ran scattergun, bacta, scan pulse and the TL50. God I loved that loadout...
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member

I've been gaming for ... a very long time. I believe "pub" predates "pug". I seem to have been using "pub" even in the Quake days.

PUB = public server, as opposed to a private server. So when you enter a public server, it was generally populated with "randoms", or random, ungrouped players.

PUG = originally was "pick up group" used to refer to a group of strangers who agreed to group up and game together. It later morphed into being any group of players who were strangers, and often used interchangeably with PUB.

A "pub stomp" or "pub stomping" is when a group of players join a public server and play against random, ungrouped players. They will generally have the advantage of voice chat, experience gaming together, possibly even designated classes/roles, and coordination.
    THANKS!!!

My first system was a colecovision, but my last system before the PS4 was the original Xbox with Halo. I completely skipped all the first multiplayer’s, lol...
  • DropZone, best small mode there ever was imo. Played thousands on thousands of matches, really hope if makes its way back to bf2.
  • Jbstiner
    2708 posts Member

It was cancer, but all metas had their place. Original Bowcaster though, broke 100 on a couple of DZ maps with that....ridiculous. But then again, cranking 200+ in GA abusing vehicles was also amusing. Nothing like eating pizza in the ATAT on Sullust spawn farming and hitting 200+
    The ATAT on the final phase was brutal. Man did I love that...