criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Solo: A Star Wars Story [Spoiler Talk]

Midichlorian
1403 posts Member
edited May 2018
Loved this film so much. Can't make a detailed post right now but upon first viewimg it is better than The Last Jedi!
Did not expect to see Darth Maul, I heard rumors but dismissed them. So from aftwr TCW he is a powerful crime lord but in Rebels it looks like he lost it all. I am guessing Palpatine came around to take it all from him but left him alive to suffer.
"Dude, don't call us plucky, we don't know what it means."
Devoted worshipper of Haruhi Suzumiya
Instagram
Twitter
DeviantArt
YouTube
346z5t0ufg6v.gif

Replies

• Empire_TW
    5028 posts Member
    Just got back from watching it, aside from a few things I rather enjoyed it.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    p0glkjvppdfa.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »

What does the _TW in your username stand for?
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Ppong_Man12
    1889 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    It was 10x better than TLJ and better than TFA imo. It and RO was the only 2 movies I’ve liked since the Disney deal. It didn’t feel forced like the sequel films, it just is what it is, a good movie.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Wow! I enjoyed it too.
    I was a little confused with everything going on in the Kessel run though, lol

How do we do spoiler tags?

Luckily I get to see it again on Tuesday with another friend so I can analyze it more.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    It was 10x better than TLJ and better than TFA imo. It and RO was the only 2 movies I’ve liked since the Disney deal. It didn’t feel forced like the sequel films, it just is what it is, a good movie.

It wasn't better or worse in my opinion... but it was definitely more creative despite us knowing many details about Han, Chewbacca, and Lando already.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Loved this film so much. Can't make a detailed post right now but upon first viewimg it is better than The Last Jedi!
    Did not expect to see Darth Maul, I heard rumors but dismissed them. So from aftwr TCW he is a powerful crime lord but in Rebels it looks like he lost it all. I am guessing Palpatine came around to take it all from him but left him alive to suffer.
    This makes me happy that an expanded story line can be created with Maul and more space crime boss fun! So much potential away from the Skywalker storylines.
  • Empire_TW
    5028 posts Member
    Empire_TW wrote: »

What does the _TW in your username stand for?

Total War, One of my favorite games is Empire: Total War so I made that my PSN username.
    p0glkjvppdfa.png
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Soylo a Soy Wars Story was as usual filled with SJW nonsense that pushed the female freedom fighter robot with Landos pansexual infatuation with it on us fans. The heist was decent at best and basically very childish considering how easily they infiltrated and sabotaged mining colony. Han uploading and rebooting the dead robots memory to chart a new faster course through the nebula cheapened the the role of the robot. Basically just showed us that that she was redundant all along and the only reason Lando put up with her obnoxious and preachingly judgemental attitude was because of his pansexual lust for her. That was both corny and out of whack. Alden played a good Han but sometimes it seemed like he's lost and out of place despite him just switching to playing the badass Han in between.
  • il96
    365 posts Member
    Solo was sick, the Last Jedi was absolute junk compared for 3 reasons:
    1. Rose
    2. Purple Haired Lady
    3. No _____ing cheesy lines like "we will be the spark to light the fire blah blah blah
    However Disney should have pushed the timeline of Solo and cut out the Ifryss Ness and made it about Qira and Maul
    PS4 ButtersEgo96
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    Soylo a Soy Wars Story was as usual filled with SJW nonsense that pushed the female freedom fighter robot with Landos pansexual infatuation with it on us fans. The heist was decent at best and basically very childish considering how easily they infiltrated and sabotaged mining colony. Han uploading and rebooting the dead robots memory to chart a new faster course through the nebula cheapened the the role of the robot. Basically just showed us that that she was redundant all along and the only reason Lando put up with her obnoxious and preachingly judgemental attitude was because of his pansexual lust for her. That was both corny and out of whack. Alden played a good Han but sometimes it seemed like he's lost and out of place despite him just switching to playing the badass Han in between.

Sounds like you have a personal problem with pansexuals? I hope not... Even if that’s the case for you, there’s not anything wrong with the movie in that regard just because of your personal beliefs. Lando is a lover of all creatures and that’s awesome!

I thought the female droid had a lot of personality like the one in Rogue One, R2, BB8, C3PO, etc because he never wiped her memory so AI and personality developed. The empire controls that aspect of their droids. Sure the droid resistance lines were a little silly during the actual heist, but there have been whole movies based on this idea of robot AI and robot rights. Even in the original trilogy touched on this idea with droids not being allowed places.

Also the whole idea of a rebellion against an evil empire is based on social justice for the people being killed/discriminated against...
  • stevenomes
    4640 posts Member
    How did it stack up against Rouge One? That was honestly one of my favs of all the non OT movies.
  • Empire_TW
    5028 posts Member
    stevenomes wrote: »
    How did it stack up against Rouge One? That was honestly one of my favs of all the non OT movies.

Not as good as Rogue One IMO but definitely unique. I like to call it a movie that takes place in the Star Wars universe rather then a Star Wars movie if that makes any sense.
    p0glkjvppdfa.png
  • Soylo a Soy Wars Story was as usual filled with SJW nonsense that pushed the female freedom fighter robot with Landos pansexual infatuation with it on us fans. The heist was decent at best and basically very childish considering how easily they infiltrated and sabotaged mining colony. Han uploading and rebooting the dead robots memory to chart a new faster course through the nebula cheapened the the role of the robot. Basically just showed us that that she was redundant all along and the only reason Lando put up with her obnoxious and preachingly judgemental attitude was because of his pansexual lust for her. That was both corny and out of whack. Alden played a good Han but sometimes it seemed like he's lost and out of place despite him just switching to playing the badass Han in between.

Sounds like you have a personal problem with pansexuals? I hope not... Even if that’s the case for you, there’s not anything wrong with the movie in that regard just because of your personal beliefs. Lando is a lover of all creatures and that’s awesome!

I thought the female droid had a lot of personality like the one in Rogue One, R2, BB8, C3PO, etc because he never wiped her memory so AI and personality developed. The empire controls that aspect of their droids. Sure the droid resistance lines were a little silly during the actual heist, but there have been whole movies based on this idea of robot AI and robot rights. Even in the original trilogy touched on this idea with droids not being allowed places.

Also the whole idea of a rebellion against an evil empire is based on social justice for the people being killed/discriminated against...

These scenes were unnecessary and added nothing to the SW universe. They were a waste of movie time and a distraction. Why make Lando flirt with the droid and be a pansexual when he was fine as just a friendly smooth talker and why show the droid rights movement scene when we saw slaves fighting and being liberated against the syndicates and overshadowing Empire? Too much pushing the SJW agenda Disney is.
  • LuckySDM
    64 posts Member
    Just watched the film today and really enjoyed it. For me it was a huge improvement over TLJ and I hope they make more like it.
  • stevenomes wrote: »

I enjoyed Rogue One better, but Solo is a very enjoyable film that offers a unique SW experience. I felt Solo dove a little deeper with references and tie-ins with other SW films and CW without saying "here's a SW reference" E.g. C3P0 and R2-D2 on Yavin IV for no reason other than just for fan service.

I enjoyed Rogue One better, but Solo is a very enjoyable film that offers a unique SW experience. I felt Solo dove a little deeper with references and tie-ins with other SW films and CW without saying "here's a SW reference" E.g. C3P0 and R2-D2 on Yavin IV for no reason other than just for fan service.

Maul felt like fanservice but at least his appearance made sense in the context of the film since it was set up throughout the film.
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Did Lando make love with a pan?
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Both were building chemistry though and flirting was pretty intense. Things were really panning out
  • RIFRIG
    480 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Probably the only Star Wars film i wouldn't go see a second time since the prequels.........L3 was pushing the droid personality beyond the realm that I would feel comfortable watching.
    Rogue One nailed the droid performance with K2,Solo failed in it's copycat attempt.
    Rio Durant was enjoyable to watch but short lived.......literally.
  • Devlin21
    8302 posts Member
    Any reason why the content would be delayed for a part 2 besides the caneo?
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Empire_TW
    5028 posts Member
    Any reason why the content would be delayed for a part 2 besides the caneo?

I'm guessing Disney didn't want them to spoil the crime lord being a pawn or the marauder gang actually being an early rebel cell. The trailers kinda hyped those 2 things up and they were barely in the movie.
    p0glkjvppdfa.png
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm still trying to like Alden's acting and it still doesn't do it for me. It must be his character that just doesn't align with old Han's. Sometimes the new Han stands out too much as being too "ideological" and not the more cowboy version of old Han. Feels like the idealist and the cowboy are at war in him lol

Maul felt like fanservice but at least his appearance made sense in the context of the film since it was set up throughout the film.

I will agree if he's not utilized in another film. I feel Maul could be used in either the Boba Fett and/or Obi-Wan film (pending they both actually happen) which would be great. I feel they could've as easily put the Emperor in there and would've made as much sense and satisfied more fans.

I will agree if he's not utilized in another film. I feel Maul could be used in either the Boba Fett and/or Obi-Wan film (pending they both actually happen) which would be great. I feel they could've as easily put the Emperor in there and would've made as much sense and satisfied more fans.

I would like it if they made another Solo movie, maybe a trilogy. It was a good movie, and you don't just through Maul into a movie without intending to us him again. Maybe Boba meets him while they both work for Jabba.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited May 2018

Agree with you there that Maul could/should be used in another film, and I think it will happen since he is so connected with other storylines with either Rebels or as a crime boss. I think Qira is also a character worth exploring more so her, Maul, Lando, and some famous bounty hunters should be in a new film. Han would be optional for me, but he/Chewbacca would make sense too.

I also read the potential live action TV show could be SW criminal underworld themed, but that’s probably only speculation. If done well, I might almost prefer this to a movie because we’d get more of it more often, and it could even be darker than the movies.

I’m glad they didn’t put the Emperor there... Maul is more unique since he’s so popular in the animated series and it offers more unique movie options
  • Empire_TW
    5028 posts Member
    I feel like Boba Fett should have been in this movie. I swear he was gonna be the one who walked into the room when the crime lord said he had an informant watching him the whole time.
    p0glkjvppdfa.png
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    I feel like Boba Fett should have been in this movie. I swear he was gonna be the one who walked into the room when the crime lord said he had an informant watching him the whole time.
    That’s who I assumed too... even before I saw the movie i heard about a mystery, famous cameo and assumed it was going to be him. Bossk in the flesh would’ve been awesome to see even if just briefly.
  • I think found Anthony Daniels. I believe that he was the droid who says freedom in the movie. The brown one that looked like an odd protocol droid. His voice was almost the exact same.
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    I think found Anthony Daniels. I believe that he was the droid who says freedom in the movie. The brown one that looked like an odd protocol droid. His voice was almost the exact same.

Awesome! I’m seeing it again after the weekend so I’ll keep an eye out.
  • Empire_TW
    5028 posts Member
    I think found Anthony Daniels. I believe that he was the droid who says freedom in the movie. The brown one that looked like an odd protocol droid. His voice was almost the exact same.

I recognized his voice instantly. Not sure if i saw the specific droid who said it though. Gonna admit I wasn't a big fan of some of the camera angles in this film.
    p0glkjvppdfa.png
  • Empire_TW wrote: »

I recognized his voice instantly. Not sure if i saw the specific droid who said it though. Gonna admit I wasn't a big fan of some of the camera angles in this film.

I was wrong, apparently Anthony is the Wookiee that Chewie touches heads with. I read it in an interview with Jonathan Kasdan. he is not that droid. he is the odd looking Wookiee.
    okjzkqv763wu.png
  • BluDude
    284 posts Member

I was wrong, apparently Anthony is the Wookiee that Chewie touches heads with. I read it in an interview with Jonathan Kasdan. he is not that droid. he is the odd looking Wookiee.

Speaking of wookies, I thought it was really cool that they added diversity among the wookies. Up until now I assumed they all more or less looked the same.
  • stevenomes
    4640 posts Member
    not sure yet if im going to see this one. might be the first start wars movie that i didnt see in theater. im just not that hyped about it. i think TLJ was pretty recent and this feels too much like milking (what will be next, c3po strikes back?).
  • Empire_TW
    5028 posts Member
    not sure yet if im going to see this one. might be the first start wars movie that i didnt see in theater. im just not that hyped about it. i think TLJ was pretty recent and this feels too much like milking (what will be next, c3po strikes back?).

Though I really liked it I wouldn't say it was a must see nor a staple of the Saga. EE-4: A Star Wars Story is slated to come out next month.
    p0glkjvppdfa.png
  • stevenomes
    4640 posts Member
    i think they are over saturating the market now. just feels too soon. but now they are on regular cadence to drop star wars movies. normally id be all for it but already i feel like its too much. sad because star wars is my favorite movie series. i get it disney wants to cash in, but i wonder if they could have less expense with similar profit if they just spaced them out more.
  • Empire_TW
    5028 posts Member
    i think they are over saturating the market now. just feels too soon. but now they are on regular cadence to drop star wars movies. normally id be all for it but already i feel like its too much. sad because star wars is my favorite movie series. i get it disney wants to cash in, but i wonder if they could have less expense with similar profit if they just spaced them out more.

I'm sure they will let it cool off eventually, they are spending alot of money right now for things that won't be making them money for a good couple years.
    p0glkjvppdfa.png
  • I want a movie about Bossk, Dengar and IG88 along with 4Lom and Zuccus. Boba would be in it as well. Make a Tarantino style movie telling a story of each and then bringing them all together on a mission for Jabba the Hut.
  • rollind24
    5015 posts Member
    edited May 2018

I'm sure they will let it cool off eventually, they are spending alot of money right now for things that won't be making them money for a good couple years.

Could be why Solo was released in May instead of December. We got a decent wait between Star Wars movies now.

Me personally I don’t care how much they saturate the market with movies as long as they’re good. I’m loving the MCU so far, not every Star Wars movie needs to pass a billion.
    #infantrylivesmatter

I’d say you should definitely see it. Then the next film is a year and a half away which will hopefully help saturation
    Top favorite heroes and villains missing:
    Ahsoka, Rex, Padme, Cody, Mace
    Bane, Thrawn, Ventress, Jango, Savage
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • BluDude wrote: »

Speaking of wookies, I thought it was really cool that they added diversity among the wookies. Up until now I assumed they all more or less looked the same.

I think that it was part of their slave treatment. In the Force Unleashed game several parts of the Wookiees were shaved and bloodied. So I was not sure.
    okjzkqv763wu.png
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    BluDude wrote: »

I think that it was part of their slave treatment. In the Force Unleashed game several parts of the Wookiees were shaved and bloodied. So I was not sure.

I guess it was diversity or slave treatment, but for me, the one wookie they highlighted most didn’t even look like a wookie with the face shaved... looked more like a Bigfoot. I would’ve rather them been looking more Wookiee-ish.
  • Mastahpeece
    1913 posts Member
    I want a movie about Bossk, Dengar and IG88 along with 4Lom and Zuccus. Boba would be in it as well. Make a Tarantino style movie telling a story of each and then bringing them all together on a mission for Jabba the Hut.

A bounty hunter movie is probably the only thing that can bring me back to Star Wars

And Rebo: A Star Wars story where we will learn he is called Max because he likes pepsi max
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    I want a movie about Bossk, Dengar and IG88 along with 4Lom and Zuccus. Boba would be in it as well. Make a Tarantino style movie telling a story of each and then bringing them all together on a mission for Jabba the Hut.

A bounty hunter movie is probably the only thing that can bring me back to Star Wars

And Rebo: A Star Wars story where we will learn he is called Max because he likes pepsi max

The emperor named Vader because he likes the band, so this was nothing new