criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Battle Point Event
Focused Feedback

Developer Change

Azgoth
53 posts Member
edited May 2018
I love DICE and I love what they have done with Battlefront 2 as well as the other games in their catalogue. I think it's excellent and I have played many more hours than most games I've purchased recently or in the past.

In the community there are cries for DICE and EA to have their license revolked and someone else be given the chance to develop a Star Wars game.

My questions are....
Who else would you have develop a Star Wars shooter in the current climate?
Why?
And how do you think it would be better?

To answer them myself.
I simply do not see any triple A developers out there that I believe would do Star Wars a better service... DICE has nailed the visuals and the gameplay for this game. Criteron and Motive have completely out done themselves when it comes to flying and space combat. The Frostbite engine feels like it was built for Star Wars as much as it was for any other game that it is used for.
We can all wish and want for a better game and more content. But I simply do not see anyone else able to develop it better and I simply don't understand the logic to these cries.

A note to remember; Star Wars is owned by Disney they are only going to want a AAA company designing the game however non AAA maybe included at your discression.
Post edited by Azgoth on

Replies

• Devlin21
    8329 posts Member
    No one but dice.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Spiito
    1955 posts Member
    I hate the Frostbite engine!
    TOVaMeh.gif
    I understand it probably saves some money for EA to use their own engine, but it feels like ultimately; everyone is suffering to meet this accommodation.
    I'd say Dice is fine to have it; the only real problems seem to stem from higher-ups telling them how and what to do/exclude... but if Disney wants to look around the market, I would say...
    NOT-Ubisoft, absolutely not, no, no, nope! Kiss your Princess Leia goodbye. They basically said they couldn't have females in a game because they'd have big women ""and no one wants that."" . . . *Clings to Phasma's leg*

If Disney doesn't want EA's services anymore, I can really only suggest Bethesda or Bungie.
    Wknuto!
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    I'm fine with DICE but would like something Star Wars from Obsidian Entertainment.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • I would replace EA with Blizzard and keep dice, maybe add treyarch.
    I'll just troll you if you act hard.
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    Azgoth wrote: »
    I love DICE and I love what they have done with Battlefront 2 as well as the other games in their catalogue. I think it's excellent and I have played many more hours than most games I've purchase in a very very long time.

In the community there are cries for DICE and EA to have their license revolked and someone else be given the chance to develop a Star Wars game.

My questions are....
    Why?

To answer them myself.
    I simply do not see any triple A developers out there that I believe would do Star Wars a better service... DICE has nailed the visuals and the gameplay for this game. Criteron and Motive have completely out done themselves when it comes to flying and space combat. The Frostbite engine feels like it was built for Star Wars as much as it was for any other game that it is used for.
    We can all wish and want for a better game and more content. But I simply do not see anyone else able to develop it better and I simply don't understand the logic to these cries.

A note to remember; Star Wars is owned by Disney they are only going to want a AAA company designing the game however non AAA maybe included at your disgression.

Disney should reinstate LucasArts, with a batch of new staff/developers if need be.. They more than have the resources and money to adequately and thoroughly implement it and make it a success. And the sales of the games they sell would more than pay back the money they’ve invested. The old LucasArts wasn’t perfect, don’t get me wrong.. But they wouldn’t and weren’t really given restraints and limitations or had the funding cut or any company issues, such as these. But they made some **** good STAR WARS games and memorable ones at that. I’d love to see a reinvigorated LucasArts, back at the helm.. Doing what they do best. Solely making STAR WARS games.

The problem with EA/DICE, is they have have other franchises like Battlefield and such to contend with. So, staff gets cut short and split up. Whereas LucasArts all solely just have STAR WARS projects to worry about.

Idk about that, Lucasarts as you said weren't perfect but they didn't actually make the games alot of people remember most. Classic Battlefronts were made by Pandemic and I think the last good game they actually made was Republic Commando which was way back in 05. They didn't seem too interested in meeting the demand for battlefront either and If i'm not mistaken they were trying to start their own IPs near the end too. I remember they put a trailer for one of their games in the Force Unleashed game and it didn't seem too interesting or good. The idea of Disney going on their own for games sounds interesting though, I think Disney interactive had a hand in the reactivating servers for Battlefront 2 and Empire at War along with giving Empire at War a steam workshop.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    I love DICE and I love what they have done with Battlefront 2 as well as the other games in their catalogue. I think it's excellent and I have played many more hours than most games I've purchase in a very very long time.

My questions are....
    Why?

To answer them myself.

A note to remember; Star Wars is owned by Disney they are only going to want a AAA company designing the game however non AAA maybe included at your disgression.

Disney should reinstate LucasArts, with a batch of new staff/developers if need be.. They more than have the resources and money to adequately and thoroughly implement it and make it a success. And the sales of the games they sell would more than pay back the money they’ve invested. The old LucasArts wasn’t perfect, don’t get me wrong.. But they wouldn’t and weren’t really given restraints and limitations or had the funding cut or any company issues, such as these. But they made some **** good STAR WARS games and memorable ones at that. I’d love to see a reinvigorated LucasArts, back at the helm.. Doing what they do best. Solely making STAR WARS games.

The problem with EA/DICE, is they have have other franchises like Battlefield and such to contend with. So, staff gets cut short and split up. Whereas LucasArts all solely just have STAR WARS projects to worry about.

Idk about that, Lucasarts as you said weren't perfect but they didn't actually make the games alot of people remember most. Classic Battlefronts were made by Pandemic and I think the last good game they actually made was Republic Commando which was way back in 05. They didn't seem too interested in meeting the demand for battlefront either and If i'm not mistaken they were trying to start their own IPs near the end too. I remember they put a trailer for one of their games in the Force Unleashed game and it didn't seem too interesting or good. The idea of Disney going on their own for games sounds interesting though, I think Disney interactive had a hand in the reactivating servers for Battlefront 2 and Empire at War along with giving Empire at War a steam workshop.

Well, I wasn’t talking about the Battlefront franchise, at all.. I was merely generalising and saying the games they made, in general were brilliant. Particular ones that stand out were the (BioWare) KOTOR series, the Jedi Knight series (Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy).. Which are still heavily played to this day, on PC. The 2 things I can’t fault DICE on, are the the visuals and the sounds of the Battlefront games. Superb! But it’s the other areas of their games that leave much to be desired.. And that’s because of EA. But after hat we’ve gotten so far and how restrained the company who has the sole rights to the STAR WARS gaming licence is, when it comes to their games.. I’d much rather have LucasArts at the helm. They can put sole, full effort and time in to their games, without being pushed and pulled apart by their higher-ups, as DICE have been done, by EA, for Battlefield and what not.
  • Azgoth
    53 posts Member
    I would replace EA with Blizzard and keep dice, maybe add treyarch.

Both being owned by Activision who churn out hundreds of awful Call of Duty games with almost no new content. Activision is a NO from me. They have been pulling the strings on that game for years and refuse to let it die. Plus they don't have an engine worthy in my opinion.

Blizzard is a no from me. They wouldn't give it the right feel. Plus they like to work on their own IP's so i doubt would take up a licensed game.

Treyarch try to innovate but I just don't think they have the skill nor the finesse, not anymore.

EA despite their bad reputation have put out some of the best movie license games I've ever played! Battle for Middle-Earth being an all time favourite of mine.
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    I'm fine with DICE but would like something Star Wars from Obsidian Entertainment.

Obsidian did the second KOTOR as you probably know. Very good game. Honestly do not think they would make a good shooter besides they are a very small developer I don't know if they would have the man power to make a game like battlefront
  • JAREDUP
    1596 posts Member
    THQ, they have bee making Warhammer 40k games forever now and they feel as real as the universe does
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member

To answer them myself.
    I simply do not see any triple A developers out there that I believe would do Star Wars a better service...

ZNn4ua6.jpg
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again
    I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

Space and Asteroids ROMG4
  • Lord_Oz
    433 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    JAREDUP wrote: »
    THQ, they have bee making Warhammer 40k games forever now and they feel as real as the universe does

Um THQ went bankrupt and had all it's assets sold off. The last Warhammer game wasn't made by the current incarnation (THQ Nordic - formerly Nordic Games Gmbh - who bought the THQ trademark simply for name recognition). Now THQ Nordic did make Darksiders III but I'm not sure that's a style / good example for a Star Wars Game.
  • Batman20
    1986 posts Member
    Give Star Wars to rockstar I bet they would make a great game can you imagine a Star Wars game from them. At least we would know we are getting good content for years like GTA 5 online. Obviously I'm joking about rockstar but I would like to see someone other than EA take on a battlefront game
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member

Both being owned by Activision who churn out hundreds of awful Call of Duty games with almost no new content. Activision is a NO from me. They have been pulling the strings on that game for years and refuse to let it die. Plus they don't have an engine worthy in my opinion.

Blizzard is a no from me. They wouldn't give it the right feel. Plus they like to work on their own IP's so i doubt would take up a licensed game.

Treyarch try to innovate but I just don't think they have the skill nor the finesse, not anymore.

EA despite their bad reputation have put out some of the best movie license games I've ever played! Battle for Middle-Earth being an all time favourite of mine.

Obsidian did the second KOTOR as you probably know. Very good game. Honestly do not think they would make a good shooter besides they are a very small developer I don't know if they would have the man power to make a game like battlefront

They are a very dedicated to their passion though, they had little to no experience with the engine they used to make Fallout: New Vegas and yeah it was extremely buggy but I still regard it as one of the best games of all time (my personal favorite of all time).

The fact their fans care about them so much that they were able to successfully crowd fund their games is quite impressive. Love this quote from their founder.

We have to answer to players, no matter what. When you work for a publisher, you have to answer to both, and the two of them may not see eye-to-eye. I'd rather the player pay me directly for something they want, and I'd rather talk with them throughout the process to make sure I'm delivering something they want as well.
    — Chris Avellone
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    We have to answer to players, no matter what. When you work for a publisher, you have to answer to both, and the two of them may not see eye-to-eye. I'd rather the player pay me directly for something they want, and I'd rather talk with them throughout the process to make sure I'm delivering something they want as well.
    — Chris Avellone

Powerful Quote
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

[url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again
    I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

• Rook008
    842 posts Member
    I would like to see a crap ton of money thrown at Criterion and have Disney allow them to make a complete Starfighter Assault game. It would a have a huge single player component, split screen co-op, online co-op, and various online multiplayer game modes. Something like X-Wing Alliance but bigger and better.

As for Trooper combat, I think Dice did a good job with the exception of the MTX/Progression misstep. And too much emphasis on Heroes.
    But...
    For a single player campaign, I would like to see Rockstar make a Red Dead Redemption type of game set in the Star Wars universe. A big game with an interesting story.
    For multiplayer, I'd like the old Infinity Ward crew (now Respawn Entertainment, I think) to create something like they did with Modern Warfare 2. Boots on the ground infantry combat. A lot of maps and game modes.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • danilojbg
    837 posts Member
    It's hard to think about other developers that could deliver an authentic Star Wars experience.

Blizzard is awesome, but their thing is another one. They focus on just a few games and usually they don't overlap each other in genre. Plus, they have a far too cartooney style.

Bringing LucasArts back to life would be interesting indeed. But I'm not sure Disney would be willing to do that.
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    danilojbg wrote: »
    It's hard to think about other developers that could deliver an authentic Star Wars experience.

Bethesda, CD Project Red, Rocksteady, Monolith Productions, THQ Nordic and it's Subsidiaries, Fraxis Games, Creative Assembly,

There are DOZENS of game studios out there besides DICE and EA that can make comparable if not superior Star Wars titles to DICE. Star Wars video games have survived for decades without DICE and EA's Star Wars license

If you think it's hard to think about it you guys haven't looked up any studios prior
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again

• If EA had've just let DICE release BFII with the current progression and micro transaction system then I can guarantee that Jango Fett could guarantee that the game would be in a much better position.
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • saltydog
    721 posts Member
    I don’t know who would or should replace them. However, I think that Disney should see what other companies have to offer.
    Competition keeps complacency from setting in and everyone performing their absolute best.
  • BucksawBoushh
    5457 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Can’t hurt Disney to look around. At the very least, it puts some pressure on EA knowing that they’re not a shoe-in for BF3.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • LeftTurnus
    1099 posts Member
    Disney should look around.

DICE Frostbite engine is one of the worst in gaming. No matter how much they try, it always has problems. It simply does not handle differing connection speeds well at all. The only games I ever experience full on rubber banding - DICE games ...

I would also say stay away from Bungie. They only use really crappy peer 2 peer for their netcode. They are horrible with story and managed to turn a game that had so much potential into an extreme snooze fest. They handle legit criticism from players by going out and publicly insulting them.
    Definitely stay away from Bungie...

Rockstar would be interesting LoL...
  • Rook008
    842 posts Member
    Bungie is pretty bad. Destiny had a rocky start, then got much better over time with DLC and other improvements.
    Then Destiny 2 came out and it seems like they started all over with a poorly designed game. I hear it's slowly getting better though.

And the netcode...lol. Bad enough that a flakey connection gave you an advantage in the competitive game modes, but it got to the point where players would kick enemy players out of matches (ddos) in order to go flawless in Trials. People were selling this as a service.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    OOM19 wrote: »

Bethesda, CD Project Red, Rocksteady, Monolith Productions, THQ Nordic and it's Subsidiaries, Fraxis Games, Creative Assembly,

There are DOZENS of game studios out there besides DICE and EA that can make comparable if not superior Star Wars titles to DICE. Star Wars video games have survived for decades without DICE and EA's Star Wars license

If you think it's hard to think about it you guys haven't looked up any studios prior

Idk about Bethesda, they had the whole creation club thing. I also don't like the direction they are taking Fallout series at the moment.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    It depends on the type of SW game... some developers make better FPS while others make better RPGs or whatever.

Rockstar would deliver an awesome experience for open world/action games. Solo movie has me thinking about a game idea set in a huge open-world city/planet with the Hutts, Black Sun, Crimson Dawn, Shadow Collective, and your job is to just get by as a bounty hunter or smuggler and get paid.
  • No change, Dice all the way.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.
  • hsf_
    1904 posts Member
    edited May 2018

Utter that name on this forum again and I will strike you down with loathsome force.

Joking aside..
    There are many developers and publishers that are just flat out terrible. Relic, Sega, Rockstar, Treyarch and many more are simply terrible. But EA is the worst of them all.
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member

Idk about Bethesda, they had the whole creation club thing. I also don't like the direction they are taking Fallout series at the moment.

Ehh, we are glorious PC Gamers, the Creation Club has no power HERE!

What have they done with Fallout 4?
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again

• Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member

Ehh, we are glorious PC Gamers, the Creation Club has no power HERE!

What have they done with Fallout 4?

Don't get me wrong, creation club is an absolute joke but I'm more concerned that there was bit of a controversy, no where near as this game's lootboxes but it was still a controversy involving micro purchases and odds are that will hurt any game made by them by default.

As far as Fallout 4 is concerned, I don't want to sound like a hater but as a huge Fallout fan I found Fallout 4 to be a terrible fallout game and a bad game in general (I can go into detail if you want I doubt anyone else here would be interested) and despite all that I fear Fallout games won't get better because Fallout 4 was such a blind money maker for Bethesda that all they would have to do is write fallout on the box and it will make lots of money.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    DICE is legit. I'm sticking with them. My problems are with EA.

Kind of starting to feel this way as well. DICE seem to have their hands bound. Maybe not, maybe they’re equally to blame? But it feels like EA are the ones creating the issues.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • mastery0ta
    6410 posts Member
    mastery0ta wrote: »
    DICE is legit. I'm sticking with them. My problems are with EA.

Kind of starting to feel this way as well. DICE seem to have their hands bound. Maybe not, maybe they’re equally to blame? But it feels like EA are the ones creating the issues.

Pretty sure I feel the same way. The DEVS are trying, but EA and ultimately the mouse are in control. They are passionate about the game like we are, but restricted by the suits.
  • OOM19 wrote: »

I stick with the few publishers and studios that come to mind, which are mostly those whose games I've spent several hours on. Which are not a lot, as I usually spent lots of time in a few games rather than playing many different ones. And to be honest, I didn't look up studios prior indeed. I mean, it was just a brief reply, not a research or even an extensive post. So yes, I probably missed some.

But I was thinking more about the decision by Disney to outsource Star Wars gaming. EA does have plenty of different studios under them, which could cover several types of Star Wars games. CDPR would be great for delivering a story based Star Wars experience, but would they handle a Battlefront title just as well? Plus the fact they seem to work at their own pace, which I think Disney wouldn't like as much, having movie release schedules in mind.

Again, I could be wrong as I am not an expert, but I think outside EA there must be just a few publishers that can potentially release Star Wars games on many genres while holding an exclusive deal, at least in theory. That said, one of the things that disappointed me the most so far from EA and Star Wars is the lack of genre variety. But I'm mostly disappointed because they do have the potential to do that.
  • Azgoth
    53 posts Member

Bethesda = NO. Case in point skyrim being the least RPG, RPG game I've ever played although not entirely horrendous minus milions of bugs and being completely unplayable on one platform at release. I'm gonna be slaughtered, I hate fallout so it's a no from me! BUGS, BUGS EVERYWHERE!

CD project red have literally made the Witcher and that is all....(minus the new one yet to release) I don't see them taking on a Star Wars shooter. Although skin up old Geralt and give him a light saber and who knows where the world could go!

Rocksteady... just LOL. Not a bad company. Games are way overhyped although very solid. Would never dream of taking on Battlefront nor Star Wars

Monolith???? The games company that has literally stolen other peoples games and branded them as their own... with horrendous microtransactions. Isn't that what we tried to get rid of??

THQ Nordic while having a decent background, a good percentage is RPG style. Rather small company not sure they'd have the guts anymore.

Firaxis while a good catalogue are all turn based strategy games. Star Wars has a RTS in the form of Empire at War and while not bad, I'd rather it was left in the past

And finally Creative Assembly... TOTAL STAR WARS!! Now I'm on board! Except their Warscape engine which I know very very well and it's horrendous incapability of dealing with ranged combat...

One thing is clear friend! While you know studios and say it's an easy choice, you have not chosen well in my opinion! I would not trust any of these developers.
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member

Bethesda = NO. Case in point skyrim being the least RPG, RPG game I've ever played although not entirely horrendous minus milions of bugs and being completely unplayable on one platform at release. I'm gonna be slaughtered, I hate fallout so it's a no from me! BUGS, BUGS EVERYWHERE!

CD project red have literally made the Witcher and that is all....(minus the new one yet to release) I don't see them taking on a Star Wars shooter. Although skin up old Geralt and give him a light saber and who knows where the world could go!

Rocksteady... just LOL. Not a bad company. Games are way overhyped although very solid. Would never dream of taking on Battlefront nor Star Wars

Monolith???? The games company that has literally stolen other peoples games and branded them as their own... with horrendous microtransactions. Isn't that what we tried to get rid of??

THQ Nordic while having a decent background, a good percentage is RPG style. Rather small company not sure they'd have the guts anymore.

Firaxis while a good catalogue are all turn based strategy games. Star Wars has a RTS in the form of Empire at War and while not bad, I'd rather it was left in the past

And finally Creative Assembly... TOTAL STAR WARS!! Now I'm on board! Except their Warscape engine which I know very very well and it's horrendous incapability of dealing with ranged combat...

One thing is clear friend! While you know studios and say it's an easy choice, you have not chosen well in my opinion! I would not trust any of these developers.

I have to say no to creative assembly. They have games with a pay to win aspect to them, cut content DLC, a history about abandoning games (My name hint hint), terrible MP balancing (though most people play TW for singleplayer so that is kinda excusable), and lying about game development (40% bigger budget and fake screenshots at E3 i heard).

Here are some specific examples see if any of this sounds familiar

Empire: Total War has unit pack DLC, top tier units that can be used in multiplayer against people who don't have it.

Total War: Rome 2, they cut Sparta out of the game (they are in the game but you can't play as them) and made it a pre order bonus or you had to buy it for $8

Napoleon: Total War, the multiplayer "balance" is literally France>Britain>Prussia>Russia>Austria (not counting Russian unicorn spam)

I'm not entirely sure so take this one with a grain of salt but I heard Warhammer Total War had so much cheese that rage quiting and drop hacking are extremely common.

I'd love a Star Wars: Total War too but the way CA is these days it would have all the problems this game had and probably more.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • Pjay
    285 posts Member
    Star Wars battlefront 2 looks great and (for the most part) plays great.
    The key problem is a lack of vision, I have seen alot of brilliant ideas out of these forums but not many from EA since release.
  • Psy3d
    863 posts Member
    I like FB3 engine and think DICE is a great engine dev but not so much for games. Games should come from another EA dev who know how to tell a story. Any DICE game's SP feels like go to point A to B and enjoy the tech demo along the way. It works for MP but not SP. And so far DICE doesn't seem to invest well in SW lore. BF2 has been....a yeah it sound and looks like SW...so sell it already.

If it was up to me I would say give it to Rocksteady...that will be the day. I've never seen a passionate dev dig so much in the Batman lore before....and I'm sure they will dig even deeper for SW. Too bad it's not going to happen....SW:BF3 will be another disappointment if DICE/EA does it again.
  • Indiana_Jim
    2073 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    We're talking developers other than EA/DICE, but for my money, the Battlefield Series is the best shooter on the market, and for my money the Frostbite engine has the most true-to-life feel to me. The only one as good in my mind was whatever Zipper Interactive used in SOCOM 4.

Ubisoft's successes with the Far Cry and Assassin's Creed series, and the quality of Rainbow Six Siege make them a logical next choice. I know there are people who hate Ubisoft, but everything I've ever played from them I've enjoyed.

The next one is a sleeper, but that would be Bethesda Softworks for their work on the Wolfenstein property.

Lastly, the only one I would actually WANT to touch Star Wars, but I think is the least likely, would be Rockstar. Their storytelling is simply on another level compared to all the other major developers. They are the only ones who would have the independence enough to make an AWESOME Star Wars game, not just something that makes suits happy.
  • Spiito
    1955 posts Member
    LeftTurnus wrote: »
    Disney should look around.

DICE Frostbite engine is one of the worst in gaming. No matter how much they try, it always has problems. It simply does not handle differing connection speeds well at all. The only games I ever experience full on rubber banding - DICE games ...

I would also say stay away from Bungie. They only use really **** peer 2 peer for their netcode. They are horrible with story and managed to turn a game that had so much potential into an extreme snooze fest. They handle legit criticism from players by going out and publicly insulting them.
    Definitely stay away from Bungie...

Rockstar would be interesting LoL...

I want Rockstar to make Bully2 before taking on any other titles.
    Wknuto!
  • Sniffy44
    411 posts Member
    Spiito wrote: »

I'm not sure why you dont like the engine, there is literally no other engine more suited to Battlefield-style games.
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    Gonna give Creative Assembly a hard no. (this is the 2nd time i am writing this my other comment disappeared ignore it if it reappears)

Creative Assembly has a very bad history, see if any of this sounds familiar.

They have:

Had games that didn't even work on launch.

Abandoned games that had bad launches (my namesake).

Had games where one could buy better things to use in multiplayer against people who don't (unit packs for ETW and NTW and factions for Rome 2).

Terrible Multiplayer balance (NTW's "balance" was literally France>Britian>Prussia>Russia>Austria, not counting russian unicorn spam)

Cut content DLC.

*Fake screenshots at E3 (never looked into this so not entirely sure if this was true).

I'd like a Star Wars: Total War too but given how CA is these days it would have all the problems this game had and probably alot more.

hojevrxvarht.png
  • Spiito
    1955 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Sniffy44 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you dont like the engine, there is literally no other engine more suited to Battlefield-style games.
    Unreal could have done it just fine, imo.
    If a different engine was used, players would probably see content a lot faster, and with less bugs, due to the ""ease of use"" other engines provide in contrast to Frostbite.
    Swbf2 has a lack of destructible objects on maps. If some other engine was used, there'd probably be less/no destructible map objects but we're already in that situation.
    A lot of previous EA games I played didn't start heavily incorporating Frostbite until recent years, and I feel like the general quality of gameplay has been reduced. (Which may be due to a number of things, beyond the engine itself, but I feel like Frostbite probably contributes to issues when it's being forced onto Devs & players alike, so that EA can save a few extra $$$ by using it's own home grown engine.)

...If any of that makes sense. (?) I'm going to bed...

*Quick edit; an interesting read
    Wknuto!
  • Dice have demonstrated they have the ability with Battlefield 1 and swbf 15 ....just that EA'S money eagerness got in the way. I pitty the DICE staff who built all the graphics to be honest
  • LeftTurnus
    1099 posts Member
    Sniffy44 wrote: »

The Battlefield games, starting with BF3 and the new "Hybrid" engine was the start of extreme lag and rubberbanding at times. BF4 took it to a whole new level. It needs major re-work. I do not see rubber banding and input lag in any other game compared to a DICE product using Frostbite starting from BF3.
    It just does not handle the difference in latency between players very well at all.

And for those that had forgotten, remember the BF4 release? You could not even play it on PS4 until a month and a half after release.

This on an engine that was claimed to be the "Best" net code ever created. Remember someone from DICE saying this.

• Azgoth
    53 posts Member

I have to say no to creative assembly. They have games with a pay to win aspect to them, cut content DLC, a history about abandoning games (My name hint hint), terrible MP balancing (though most people play TW for singleplayer so that is kinda excusable), and lying about game development (40% bigger budget and fake screenshots at E3 i heard).

Here are some specific examples see if any of this sounds familiar

Empire: Total War has unit pack DLC, top tier units that can be used in multiplayer against people who don't have it.

Total War: Rome 2, they cut Sparta out of the game (they are in the game but you can't play as them) and made it a pre order bonus or you had to buy it for $8

Napoleon: Total War, the multiplayer "balance" is literally France>Britain>Prussia>Russia>Austria (not counting Russian unicorn spam)

I'm not entirely sure so take this one with a grain of salt but I heard Warhammer Total War had so much cheese that rage quiting and drop hacking are extremely common.

I'd love a Star Wars: Total War too but the way CA is these days it would have all the problems this game had and probably more.

I'd never want Creative Assembly they have been terrible and Total War has gone down hill ever since Shogun 2 which was the last of their decent games. Coincedentally thats about the time Sega took over.
  • Azgoth
    53 posts Member
    We're talking developers other than EA/DICE, but for my money, the Battlefield Series is the best shooter on the market, and for my money the Frostbite engine has the most true-to-life feel to me. The only one as good in my mind was whatever Zipper Interactive used in SOCOM 4.

Ubisoft's successes with the Far Cry and Assassin's Creed series, and the quality of Rainbow Six Siege make them a logical next choice. I know there are people who hate Ubisoft, but everything I've ever played from them I've enjoyed.

The next one is a sleeper, but that would be Bethesda Softworks for their work on the Wolfenstein property.

Lastly, the only one I would actually WANT to touch Star Wars, but I think is the least likely, would be Rockstar. Their storytelling is simply on another level compared to all the other major developers. They are the only ones who would have the independence enough to make an AWESOME Star Wars game, not just something that makes suits happy.

Ubisoft is a big fat NO! They hate PC gamers. All their PC games come out almost unplayable. Assassins Creed is just the worst walking simulator I've ever played
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    This is why its probably best to just keep current course, all other publishers and developers all got skeletons in their closets.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • Jimmy89
    158 posts Member
    Not a fan of Dice. What games have they done other than the battlefield games? The battlefront games have been meh thus far. We need better developers. I think with EA we will never see a Star Wars RPG from them. They always want to rush games within 2 years.

Old Bioware- Not the same company. Sad that we haven’t received a star wars RPG since Kotor (2003)
    Old Raven Software- Too bad they’re gone. Oh well no more Jedi Knight games.
    SCE Japan Studio and Team Ico - It would never happen. But imagine what they could do. ( love Shadow of the colossus)
    Rocksteady Studios I enjoyed the arkham games. I think they can handle sw better than Dice.
    Rockstar- A company that takes their time creating games. Though not sure if they would expand beyond their GTA ip.
    Bethesda- Huge fan of the Elder Scrolls games. Obviously they would need a new engine.
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    Given that he isn't tied down to any studio or publisher, Chris Avellone should be allowed to work on more Star Wars game. He is a really nice guy.
    o9y6l9d0vi33.jpg
    hojevrxvarht.png