criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

I'm Worried About Episode IX

I haven't seen Solo yet, but I'm not liking the box office results so far. This all due to the boycotting and the backlash towards The Last Jedi and Solo. As a long time fan, I really like the new Star Wars movies so far. However, I know deep down that this is going to hurt Episode IX. The "Want to see" rating for Solo on Rotten Tomatoes was around the 30's-40's, and the same will happen to Episode IX out of spite. I'd hate to see this go down like Star Trek (which still bothers me today, because I grew up with both). No matter how good the trailers will be for Episode IX, the protesters who justify their toxic behavior will condemn the film months before release. This isn't just some bad feeling I have. I know for a fact that this will happen. It's as if some people will not stop & be satisfied until there's nothing left.

Replies

• Solo was awesome, easily the best Disney movie. It was so good that I feel the opposite of what you said about episode 9, I’m more hyped. Although I will say a solo sequel is far, far more appealing to me
    Top favorite heroes and villains missing:
    Ahsoka, Rex, Padme, Cody, Mace
    Bane, Thrawn, Ventress, Jango, Savage
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • Empire_TW
    5975 posts Member
    From what I've seen so far Solo was well received by alot of hardcore star wars fans. Don't let the very vocal internet cloud your judgement of the films or the state of the franchise. If I am not mistaken it will awhile until the next film so maybe all the TLJ backlash will cool down a bit.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • It is a great movie. Episode IX will be fine. TLJ broke many records, and was the best movie of 2017. It has the third highest B.O. weekend after TFA and Avengers Infinity War. Relax, Star Wars till be fine, and everyone that I know of, who has seen Solo, really enjoyed the movie. It has a higher box office opening than PofC: At World's End. Disney said it set a record for box office sales on Memorial Day weekend.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    The trolls are everywhere, including Rotten Tomatoes. If you read the comments of the Audience Scores at RT, they are just trolls giving the movie half a star, which brings down the total percentage a lot. Some of these people even wrote that they think the movie was decent, but then they still give it half a star for some reason.

Then you have the honest people giving Solo 3-5 stars (whatever they think), which doesn't bring the total up enough to be a score based on the reality of the film. In short, RT audience scores/"want to see it" should be mostly ignored and are ridiculous especially among rabid SW "fans" who really aren't fans.

I think the SW franchise will be great in Episode 9 and beyond. If anyone knows how to handle a franchise, I trust Disney as their track record is pretty good with Marvel so far. Not every movie will be universally loved, but overall the franchise is just going to get bigger as far as movies are concerned.
  • JAREDUP
    1564 posts Member
    It's Disney ruining it, if they would stop pushing an agenda things will change
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • The trolls are everywhere, including Rotten Tomatoes. If you read the comments of the Audience Scores at RT, they are just trolls giving the movie half a star, which brings down the total percentage a lot. Some of these people even wrote that they think the movie was decent, but then they still give it half a star for some reason.

Then you have the honest people giving Solo 3-5 stars (whatever they think), which doesn't bring the total up enough to be a score based on the reality of the film. In short, RT audience scores/"want to see it" should be mostly ignored and are ridiculous especially among rabid SW "fans" who really aren't fans.

I think the SW franchise will be great in Episode 9 and beyond. If anyone knows how to handle a franchise, I trust Disney as their track record is pretty good with Marvel so far. Not every movie will be universally loved, but overall the franchise is just going to get bigger as far as movies are concerned.

True, but money makes a difference, no matter what. If Solo bombs (and it's looks that way), then it will drastically change everything for Episode IX and other films beyond that. Even a Marvel film like The Incredible Hulk (with less love compared to others in the MCU) was a box office hit. I don't know what kind of drama is happening in Lucasfilm (besides directors). Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. I don't know. What I do know is the relentless toxicity in the fandom. It's one thing to have legit criticisms towards Star Wars and the companies (If a movie didn't land for you, that's fine), it's another to troll, attack people with different opinions, accusing people that their being paid by Disney, calling someone a shill or hater, and sending possible death threats to the people involved with the production of the movies. I also find it annoying when people bashed J.J. Abrams for The Force Awakens, and was routing for Rian Johnson. The moment The Last Jedi hit theaters, these same people turned their backs on Rian Johnson, and wanted JJ back. What do you want, people??? I wonder if it the same people who hated George Lucas for the Special Editions & the Prequels, and now want him back? If that isn't hypocrisy, I don't know what is...

I just want the madness to stop. .

• I think the SW franchise will be great in Episode 9 and beyond. If anyone knows how to handle a franchise, I trust Disney as their track record is pretty good with Marvel so far. Not every movie will be universally loved, but overall the franchise is just going to get bigger as far as movies are concerned.

True, but money makes a difference, no matter what. If Solo bombs (and it's looks that way), then it will drastically change everything for Episode IX and other films beyond that. Even a Marvel film like The Incredible Hulk (with less love compared to others in the MCU) was a box office hit. I don't know what kind of drama is happening in Lucasfilm (besides directors). Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. I don't know. What I do know is the relentless toxicity in the fandom. It's one thing to have legit criticisms towards Star Wars and the companies (If a movie didn't land for you, that's fine), it's another to troll, attack people with different opinions, accusing people that their being paid by Disney, calling someone a shill or hater, and sending possible death threats to the people involved with the production of the movies. I also find it annoying when people bashed J.J. Abrams for The Force Awakens, and was routing for Rian Johnson. The moment The Last Jedi hit theaters, these same people turned their backs on Rian Johnson, and wanted JJ back. What do you want, people??? I wonder if it the same people who hated George Lucas for the Special Editions & the Prequels, and now want him back? If that isn't hypocrisy, I don't know what is...

I just want the madness to stop. .
  • Zach
    545 posts Member
    I’m not worried about Episode IX. There are plenty of reasons for the slow Solo opening. First of all the marketing for Solo was very light compared to previous films and what it will be for IX. Also Solo is competing with a lot of big time summer blockbusters like Infinity War, Deadpool, and several other good movies releasing in the coming weeks. But Episode IX will no doubt be the biggest movie of 2019, everyone will have to see it opening weekend from the diehard fans to the casual moviegoers. And if it gets great early reviews could even rival the numbers for TFA
  • The trolls are everywhere, including Rotten Tomatoes. If you read the comments of the Audience Scores at RT, they are just trolls giving the movie half a star, which brings down the total percentage a lot. Some of these people even wrote that they think the movie was decent, but then they still give it half a star for some reason.

Rotten tomatoes doesn't actually count 0 or half star reviews.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • bfloo
    14774 posts Member
    The biggest obstacle ep 9 has is Rian forgot to leave us a reason to be invested in the story.

The only thing I've seen people wondering about is reylo :(
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• rollind24
    5372 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Zach wrote: »
    I’m not worried about Episode IX. There are plenty of reasons for the slow Solo opening. First of all the marketing for Solo was very light compared to previous films and what it will be for IX. Also Solo is competing with a lot of big time summer blockbusters like Infinity War, Deadpool, and several other good movies releasing in the coming weeks. But Episode IX will no doubt be the biggest movie of 2019, everyone will have to see it opening weekend from the diehard fans to the casual moviegoers. And if it gets great early reviews could even rival the numbers for TFA

Agreed, while I’m sure there are people legitimately boycotting the movie it is Memorial Day weekend in the US with a lot of competition at the theater.

It is Star Wars so hard to say it’s a success so far but there are good reasons why it’s lower opening than others.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Solo is better then 8 by far. The stand a lone movies are great but the sequels aren’t so just skip episode 9 and watch bob, Obi wan, and mabey darth maul in the big scenes.
  • MASSEFFECTfanX
    347 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    As a longtime Star Wars fan, I've really liked these new movies so far. Let me be clear. If the chaos between Lucasfilm and the fans doesn't end, I'm done. My love for Star Wars will eventually off itself. I'm not kidding. I will literally rip my Original Trilogy posters off my wall and throw them in the trash. It's getting closer to that, slowly but surely. I'm in the middle of a horrible crossfire. The war between Lucasfilm and the fans is getting out of hand. Lucasfilm has to fix whatever problems they have, and the toxicity from the fans has to go.
    Post edited by MASSEFFECTfanX on
  • I haven't seen Solo yet, but I'm not liking the box office results so far. This all due to the boycotting and the backlash towards The Last Jedi and Solo. As a long time fan, I really like the new Star Wars movies so far. However, I know deep down that this is going to hurt Episode IX. The "Want to see" rating for Solo on Rotten Tomatoes was around the 30's-40's, and the same will happen to Episode IX out of spite. I'd hate to see this go down like Star Trek (which still bothers me today, because I grew up with both). No matter how good the trailers will be for Episode IX, the protesters who justify their toxic behavior will condemn the film months before release. This isn't just some bad feeling I have. I know for a fact that this will happen. It's as if some people will not stop & be satisfied until there's nothing left.

You should take a seat and learn why the ST doesn't align with the fans expectations. Too much trying to avoid the EU universe and contradict what's been established.
  • OcDoc
    1322 posts Member
    I have seen too many times where online reviews and comments don’t match up with my own personal observations. I am fairly certain I am in a pretty big club of people that will judge for myself.

I was busy this weekend, but will certainly catch the movie in theaters and almost certainly end up buying the movie. I liked The Last Jedi and will be buying that soon as well.

I would prefer Disney to leave politics and social agendas out of the Star Wars movies in particular, but it hasn’t been enough yet to get me mad enough to boycott.

In the end, Star Wars is fun, interesting, thought provoking and vast. It is worth overlooking some imperfections and I for one am happy we have new movies to enjoy.
  • OcDoc wrote: »
    I have seen too many times where online reviews and comments don’t match up with my own personal observations. I am fairly certain I am in a pretty big club of people that will judge for myself.

I was busy this weekend, but will certainly catch the movie in theaters and almost certainly end up buying the movie. I liked The Last Jedi and will be buying that soon as well.

I would prefer Disney to leave politics and social agendas out of the Star Wars movies in particular, but it hasn’t been enough yet to get me mad enough to boycott.

In the end, Star Wars is fun, interesting, thought provoking and vast. It is worth overlooking some imperfections and I for one am happy we have new movies to enjoy.

+1 on this.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    As a longtime Star Wars fan, I've really liked these new movies so far. Let me be clear. If the chaos between Lucasfilm and the fans doesn't end, I'm done. My love for Star Wars will eventually off itself. I'm not kidding. I will literally rip my Original Trilogy posters off my wall and throw them in the trash. It's getting closer to that, slowly but surely. I'm in the middle of a horrible crossfire. The war between Lucasfilm and the fans is getting out of hand. Lucasfilm has to fix whatever problems they have, and the toxicity from the fans has to go.

Are you threatening to ditch OT if ST fails? Is this a boycott? So you're doing what your opponents are and further killing SW for yourself. This time even OT as well.
  • Quizolio
    3221 posts Member
    You could just not care about the new stuff going forward, like I have. The original movies will always be amazing, the new ones cannot change that. They can only lessen, or in my case, completely snuff out, my interest in any new films going forward.
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • I don't care and ST is not real SW. Luke wouldn't do what he did, betraying his own Jedi skills and duty to stop Snoke, Snoke wouldn't be deceived like he supposedly was and die. The chase would've ended with more star destroyers jumping out of hyperspace, cutting off and blowing the star cruiser to dust. Rey wouldn't be able to learn the force through Snoke's force projection telepathy and Luke wouldn't be able to force project across a galaxy either. TLJ is a joke and a parody of SW imo. Disney killed SW for me mostly. Rogue One, Solo and maybe future SW story films might be ok but ST is forever dead to me lol.