criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Kelly Marie Tran (AKA Rose in TLJ)

Prev13
IG88VSBossk
935 posts Member
edited June 2018
Can we be anymore insensitive as a community? You know who you are. We can do better as a community than to constantly spew garbage out of our mouths, let this franchise evolve into something new because it needs to survive guys.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/krishrach/people-are-upset-after-kelly-marie-tran-deleted-her?utm_term=.vrwK3B7we#.cyjlYDMvB

Replies

• Empire_TW
    5940 posts Member
    Second time this has happened to a Star Wars actress if I'm not mistaken.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    This is old news though.
    Psn: Jello770
  • JAREDUP
    1550 posts Member
    Who cares

Also this needs to be in Off Topic, just saying
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • LaurenXIV
    444 posts Member
    :(

Its so sad.

I have no idea how someone can feel so strongly about something that they want someone to suffer for their own opinions.

The world sucks.
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • lerodemmy
    3334 posts Member
    REY should use the Force to delete the social media accounts of anyone who uses them to harass others.
    21 years in the making... the wait is almost over. Pre-order RESIDENT EVIL 2 now!
    header.jpg?t=1547513853
  • Piscettios
    5799 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I have a strong dislike for the movie, thought she was a pretty bad character too. Her acting wasnt bad or great...so so. Even if she played a lead role character that single handedly killed the franchise, no one deserves to be personally attacked like this.

As much as I disliked the movie I cannot imagine hunting down the actress that played a fictional I didnt like and harassing her. Immeasurable levels of pathetic.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • I'm glad they killed her off, a pointless boring character riding the death of a better character
  • lerodemmy
    3334 posts Member
    I'm glad they killed her off, a pointless boring character riding the death of a better character

When did they kill her off?
    21 years in the making... the wait is almost over. Pre-order RESIDENT EVIL 2 now!
    header.jpg?t=1547513853
  • MASSEFFECTfanX
    347 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Dang. That makes me feel bad. Why do people have to be so mean, she is just an actress doing a job. I, for one, loved TLJ. This is the same scenario with Hayden Christensen, people ragged on him every day. Maybe they should start a support group.

You can thank a section in an amendment that's horribly misplaced nowadays: The freedom of speech. This is abused everyday.
  • Lame/dumb character, and not just because she's Asian and Female, its irrelevant.

I can't believe people actually wanted here to be in the game. I'd literally rather have jar jar.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    Second time this has happened to a Star Wars actress if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah Daisy did it as well.
  • Dash
    11553 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Lame/dumb character, and not just because she's Asian and Female, its irrelevant.

I can't believe people actually wanted here to be in the game. I'd literally rather have jar jar.

Jar jar had more character development than most of the ST characters lol.

It’s sad that she went through that. It really is. And I despise her character in the film. But she didn’t deserve it. It comes with the territory, but she didn’t deserve that.

It’s not like she wrote her own script, she just played her part as instructed. Some people are pathetic if they think personal attacks are the “norm”.
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• Batman20
    1727 posts Member
    she was a boring character but not bad enough to warrant a ton of hate from fans
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Dang. That makes me feel bad. Why do people have to be so mean, she is just an actress doing a job. I, for one, loved TLJ. This is the same scenario with Hayden Christensen, people ragged on him every day. Maybe they should start a support group.

You can thank a section in an amendment that's horribly misplaced nowadays: The freedom of speech. This is abused everyday.

ROFL! Freedom of speech protects you from GOVERNMENT censorship of speech, it does not protect you from societal censorship. So, what you are basically saying is the government should have the ability to prosecute and censor speech which YOU subjectively find objectionable... Emperor Palpatine fully supports your position.
  • MASSEFFECTfanX
    347 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    t3hBar0n wrote: »

ROFL! Freedom of speech protects you from GOVERNMENT censorship of speech, it does not protect you from societal censorship. So, what you are basically saying is the government should have the ability to prosecute and censor speech which YOU subjectively find objectionable... Emperor Palpatine fully supports your position.

No, I'm saying it's being misplaced and abused. Government aside, people are twisting it around as an excuse for their rants.
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member

No, I'm saying it's being misplaced and abused.

Freedom of speech is an all or nothing proposition... you either have full freedom to say what you want, or you do not. If you have freedom to say what you want, you cannot then claim that people saying what they want is abuse... as that is EXACTLY what freedom of speech is.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »

No, I'm saying it's being misplaced and abused.

Freedom of speech is an all or nothing proposition... you either have full freedom to say what you want, or you do not. If you have freedom to say what you want, you cannot then claim that people saying what they want is abuse... as that is EXACTLY what freedom of speech is.

Yes we must have full freedom. But it us up to those with the freedom to speak, to practice common sense and decency.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • Rose Tico is a horrible character, who suffers from bad writing. Kelly Marie Tran is presumably a decent human being who should be treated with dignity.

Agreed.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • LaurenXIV
    444 posts Member
    I don't care... there are always going to be people who dislike you... amplified by 1000x if you choose a career in the public eye. She chose to be an actress, and by being cast in Star Wars did very well for herself... if she can't handle the meaningless animosity of complete strangers who are irrelevant, she should pick a new career.

Edit: I think her role in star wars sucked because that entire finn/rose storyline seemed superfluous and contrived and contributed almost nothing to the plot of TLJ. They could have put any actress in that role, and it still would have sucked.

I disagree, in part.

Yes, there will always be people who dislike you, its just a thing that happens with people having different opinions. BUT that doesnt mean having an acting career does, or should, open you up to online harassment and abuse. That should never happen, period.
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • This fandom is becoming an embarrassment. I can't believe these toxic excuses for human beings are considered fans. The majority of the the fans who dislike the new movies so far are most likely decent enough people. But, there is a group of people within who are toxic, cancerous POS's. And yes, some of them ARE racist, and sexist trash. You also have people who deny this saying that is no racism or sexism involved. That is complete bull. You she see some of the things these people have said to Kelly Marie Tran. How can people stoop this low? The fact they are in the same fan community as I am is sickening. Star Wars and whoever is involved deserves better fans. I challenges these so called "fans" to justify their racist/sexist behavior in front of actors who played characters they admire, like Mark Hamill, Peter Mayhew, Billy Dee Williams, etc, and see if those actors treat them with respect. Ain't gonna happen. I denounce them. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have to acknowledge this group of people as fans. I don't want to confuse trash for fans.

You're right, it wouldn't happen. If most of these people were confronted who post harrassing, vulgar, sexist, and/or racist comments, they would likely back down. Unfortunately, we've created an environment with basically no accountability for one's actions (referring to social media). I didn't care for the Rose character, but that's just my opinion, and that's all it is.
  • Dash
    11553 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    This fandom is becoming an embarrassment. I can't believe these toxic excuses for human beings are considered fans. The majority of the the fans who dislike the new movies so far are most likely decent enough people. But, there is a group of people within who are toxic, cancerous POS's. And yes, some of them ARE racist, and sexist trash. You also have people who deny this saying that is no racism or sexism involved. That is complete bull. You she see some of the things these people have said to Kelly Marie Tran. How can people stoop this low? The fact they are in the same fan community as I am is sickening. Star Wars and whoever is involved deserves better fans. I challenges these so called "fans" to justify their racist/sexist behavior in front of actors who played characters they admire, like Mark Hamill, Peter Mayhew, Billy Dee Williams, etc, and see if those actors treat them with respect. Ain't gonna happen. I denounce them. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have to acknowledge this group of people as fans. I don't want to confuse trash for fans.

You're right, it wouldn't happen. If most of these people were confronted who post harrassing, vulgar, sexist, and/or racist comments, they would likely back down. Unfortunately, we've created an environment with basically no accountability for one's actions (referring to social media). I didn't care for the Rose character, but that's just my opinion, and that's all it is.

+1.

“Safe spaces” to cry in, and Harassing while Hiding behind monitors. A generation of Cowards & Cry babies. :neutral:
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Rose Tico is a horrible character, who suffers from bad writing. Kelly Marie Tran is presumably a decent human being who should be treated with dignity.

I don't think the SW is any better or worse at treating people decently than any other community. There are people that behave badly everywhere.
    This.
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    That’s why you never read mail from fans.... there will always be haters

• Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    This fandom is becoming an embarrassment. I can't believe these toxic excuses for human beings are considered fans. The majority of the the fans who dislike the new movies so far are most likely decent enough people. But, there is a group of people within who are toxic, cancerous POS's. And yes, some of them ARE racist, and sexist trash. You also have people who deny this saying that is no racism or sexism involved. That is complete bull. You she see some of the things these people have said to Kelly Marie Tran. How can people stoop this low? The fact they are in the same fan community as I am is sickening. Star Wars and whoever is involved deserves better fans. I challenges these so called "fans" to justify their racist/sexist behavior in front of actors who played characters they admire, like Mark Hamill, Peter Mayhew, Billy Dee Williams, etc, and see if those actors treat them with respect. Ain't gonna happen. I denounce them. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have to acknowledge this group of people as fans. I don't want to confuse trash for fans.

It’s called the online disinhibition effect.

(Sorry nerd)
  • This fandom is becoming an embarrassment. I can't believe these toxic excuses for human beings are considered fans. The majority of the the fans who dislike the new movies so far are most likely decent enough people. But, there is a group of people within who are toxic, cancerous POS's. And yes, some of them ARE racist, and sexist trash. You also have people who deny this saying that is no racism or sexism involved. That is complete bull. You she see some of the things these people have said to Kelly Marie Tran. How can people stoop this low? The fact they are in the same fan community as I am is sickening. Star Wars and whoever is involved deserves better fans. I challenges these so called "fans" to justify their racist/sexist behavior in front of actors who played characters they admire, like Mark Hamill, Peter Mayhew, Billy Dee Williams, etc, and see if those actors treat them with respect. Ain't gonna happen. I denounce them. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have to acknowledge this group of people as fans. I don't want to confuse trash for fans.

What I meant was that the actor would think nothing of them but insane bigots (not as fan), and rightfully so. A sign that not even their heroes like them (nor appreciate their behavior). Well deserved humiliation, if you ask me.
  • Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans. Also, I really liked Rose in TLJ, so that’s insult to injury.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    Goblin_Boy wrote: »
    I don't care... there are always going to be people who dislike you... amplified by 1000x if you choose a career in the public eye. She chose to be an actress, and by being cast in Star Wars did very well for herself... if she can't handle the meaningless animosity of complete strangers who are irrelevant, she should pick a new career.

Edit: I think her role in star wars sucked because that entire finn/rose storyline seemed superfluous and contrived and contributed almost nothing to the plot of TLJ. They could have put any actress in that role, and it still would have sucked.

The idea that your chosen career necessitates abuse is bull. Pointing a finger at Kelly or Jake Lloyd and saying “You shouldn’t act if you can’t take the heat” is utterly ridiculous. Living out your dream doesn’t inherently entitle pathetic people to crawl from the bogs and hurl insults because you dared to work a career with the expectation that your critics wouldn’t act like animals. The blame is entirely their fault, and Kelly Marie Tran isn’t at fault for not being prepared for something so entirely unwarranted.

I work in healthcare and in the past have chosen to work in locked psychiatric facilities where verbal abuse and physical aggression are the norm... I chose this, and I chose to ignore it when I worked in that environment. I choose to interact on these forums and post videos on youtube... thus I am choosing to allow people to react to what I am putting out there... and I just ignore it. If you choose to be an actor/actress, you are choosing to expose yourself to millions of people who are going to judge you... it comes with the territory, and if you are so emotionally weak as to be unable to disregard what irrelevant random people are saying about you in random places online then I have no sympathy. If people are DOING things like stalking you, breaking into your house etc. then yes, we have a problem... if a bunch of nonfactors are talking trash, I don't care.
  • Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

That was a good one, your profile pic goes well with your sense of humor
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • RIFRIG
    480 posts Member
    Acting has never been a strong part of the Star Wars franchise so I can't see that Kelly Marie is any worse than some that have gone before her.
  • JAREDUP
    1550 posts Member
    Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Exactly what I was thinking. A celeb will take heat of course, many people attack other people they hate but thinks it's bad if someone they like is attacked. A double standard it is.
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member

The idea that your chosen career necessitates abuse is bull. Pointing a finger at Kelly or Jake Lloyd and saying “You shouldn’t act if you can’t take the heat” is utterly ridiculous. Living out your dream doesn’t inherently entitle pathetic people to crawl from the bogs and hurl insults because you dared to work a career with the expectation that your critics wouldn’t act like animals. The blame is entirely their fault, and Kelly Marie Tran isn’t at fault for not being prepared for something so entirely unwarranted.

I work in healthcare and in the past have chosen to work in locked psychiatric facilities where verbal abuse and physical aggression are the norm... I chose this, and I chose to ignore it when I worked in that environment. I choose to interact on these forums and post videos on youtube... thus I am choosing to allow people to react to what I am putting out there... and I just ignore it. If you choose to be an actor/actress, you are choosing to expose yourself to millions of people who are going to judge you... it comes with the territory, and if you are so emotionally weak as to be unable to disregard what irrelevant random people are saying about you in random places online then I have no sympathy. If people are DOING things like stalking you, breaking into your house etc. then yes, we have a problem... if a bunch of nonfactors are talking trash, I don't care.

The difference for you is that your work life was separate from your personal life. You don’t have to get emotionally invested in those people. The people you were working with were mentally ill, so you had an understanding that what they were saying was irrelevant due to their mental conditions. Posting on this forum, your retain anonymity. On the other hand, Kelly Marie Tran is in a position where her career and personal life are intertwined. She interacts with the community and so she gets invested. If you looked at her posts, they were daily positive pictures. ****, but not mentally ill people, were attacking her everywhere, on every post. Not only do you wrongly equate your experience to hers, you also fail to realize that people are different. Working in a mental health facility, you should know that some people are more likely to become depressed than others. This isn’t a gender thing, there are males and females can easily become depressed. It’s insensitive to say it’s her fault for getting sad that people treat her this ways. Your comments are the equivalent of saying toughen up to someone with clinical depression.

Ya, she should toughen up. Stop letting the words on the internet of random strangers bother you... just scoff at their pathetic lives and move on.
  • Vespervin
    691 posts Member
    Terrible character but not Ms Tran’s fault. The fault lies with the writer(s) and director(s). That’s just my opinion anyway.
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »

The difference for you is that your work life was separate from your personal life. You don’t have to get emotionally invested in those people. The people you were working with were mentally ill, so you had an understanding that what they were saying was irrelevant due to their mental conditions. Posting on this forum, your retain anonymity. On the other hand, Kelly Marie Tran is in a position where her career and personal life are intertwined. She interacts with the community and so she gets invested. If you looked at her posts, they were daily positive pictures. ****, but not mentally ill people, were attacking her everywhere, on every post. Not only do you wrongly equate your experience to hers, you also fail to realize that people are different. Working in a mental health facility, you should know that some people are more likely to become depressed than others. This isn’t a gender thing, there are males and females can easily become depressed. It’s insensitive to say it’s her fault for getting sad that people treat her this ways. Your comments are the equivalent of saying toughen up to someone with clinical depression.

Ya, she should toughen up. Stop letting the words on the internet of random strangers bother you... just scoff at their pathetic lives and move on.

Great argument. Kids who get bullied to the point that they become depressed or do something even worse to themselves should toughen up too. I’m sure no one they know has told them to ignore the mean things people say. Counselors should go around telling kids that they should toughen up. The world will truly be a better place if everyone would give out your advice.
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    LaurenXIV wrote: »
    I work in a bookstore. I help customers find books they are looking for, work on a checkout, read to children on a Thursday for story time... I interact with a lot of people every day (not the best thing for someone with social anxiety, buuutttt...)

Ive never received a complaint of any kind, but if someone felt that I had done something wrong they could post a negative review on Google somewhere. In my job, Im accepting that not everyone will be pleased by my service and might react to it (though again, no complaints. I try to please everyone :P ).

BUT Im absolutely not accepting that my social media accounts (if I had any...) would be flooded with a constant stream of abusive/harassing messages. That isnt part of my job, or anyones. There is a REASONABLE amount of criticism that people are opening themselves up to.

We cant expect everyone to be made of stone. No matter what their career or how much money they have, these are PEOPLE. People have complicated lives that can have good days and bad days. Signing into a social media account to see negative comments attacking who you are every day is enough to upset anyone.

It isnt just with actors/directors. There are examples of game developers being abused online because "fans" didnt like an aspect of their game. It happens with journalists, authors, YouTubers - most predominantly women.
    To accept that people following a career are opening themselves up to abuse online is not good for anyone. When game developers have deleted their social media accounts because of the abuse, gamers will wonder "why aren't the developers listening to us?" "why aren't they responding to our criticisms?" "why aren't they communicating with us?"... and the people who either partake in or justify harassment/abuse online will have only themselves to blame.

Make your account private, problem solved. If you choose to be open to the public, than you lose the ability to curate your own museum so to speak. It is just a symptom of a larger phenomenon where children have been raised in such a bubble of protection from all insults/criticism/schoolyard bullying etc. that they become emotionally immature adults who have never learned how to correctly deal with these situations... which (news flash) happen in the real world all the time.

In a psychiatric setting, the point of counseling sessions and therapy groups is NOT to tell the patient that everything is ok and the world is such a nice place and they will never face people saying mean things about them, bullying them, abusing them etc... the counseling sessions are designed to give the patients the coping mechanisms necessary to lead a functional life in which they are going to always encounter these types of situations, but they will now have whatever tools they need to deal with that situation without letting it get to them. The most powerful tool at their disposal is to stop caring about what random people think/say... once you do this, your life becomes infinitely more pleasant.
  • Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I never understood the belief that characters = actors. I mean it's one thing to dislike an actor/actress, but it's another to dislike said actor/actress for the role they were assigned by the director.

The dislike of Rose (from what i've seen) has come from the dialogue/writing, the choices the character makes in the movie. I haven't seen anyone make the argument that Rose is a bad character because she was poorly acted. Like in the case of the prequels, it's just a bad scenario for the actors. Because their face is what the audience sees, people make an association, and then place their anger towards a person who doesn't deserve it, and in a manner that really shouldn't be happening in the first place.

I genuinely feel bad for people like Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christensen, and Kelly Marie Tran. Their characters came across poorly to audiences due to poor direction and writing, and they have to go through a lot more unwarranted flak as a result.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Very sad to have horrible online harassment directed to a real human being. There’s a difference between free speech and hate speech, also. Many of you will fail to see that, I’m sure.

It’s no secret that many so-called SW fans (and many others) are also [removed].... exactly my point in a recent post I made last week about Rose.

Anyway, I have more to say, but this forum is full of too many immature people who are unable to have any actual dialogue on this kind of issue...so I’m not getting into it for that reason, and, obviously, this is just a video game forum.

[Mod edit: comment edited]
    Post edited by IIPrest0nII on
  • JAREDUP
    1550 posts Member
    sexist and racist....
    flagged

For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Very sad to have horrible online harassment directed to a real human being. There’s a difference between free speech and hate speech, also. Many of you will fail to see that, I’m sure.

It’s no secret that many so-called SW fans (and many others) are also .... exactly my point in a recent post I made last week about Rose.

Anyway, I have more to say, but this forum is full of too many immature people who are unable to have any actual dialogue on this kind of issue...so I’m not getting into it for that reason, and, obviously, this is just a video game forum.

There is NO first amendment exemption for subjectively classified "hate speech"... this was reaffirmed by the supreme court just last year in Matal v Tam. Free speech is free spech regardless of what subjective tags you assign to it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/06/19/supreme-court-unanimously-reaffirms-there-is-no-hate-speech-exception-to-the-first-amendment/
    Post edited by IIPrest0nII on
  • Quizolio
    3221 posts Member
    As I have said on another forum:

The people sending all of this vitriol towards her should be sending it to the writers. They're the ones responsible for the character, Kelly was forced to work with what they gave her. I'm no fan of Rose (I utterly despise her), but going after the woman who portrayed her, enough to the point of driving her off of social media, is inexcusable.

This is just another inch into the grave for Star Wars as far as I am concerned. The fandom is in shambles, the movies just aren't what I wanted, and I've grown tired of the franchise.
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!