criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Battle Point Event
Focused Feedback

Do you like the fantastical vision in Lucas Film's movies or do you like the new movies visions?

Prev1
IG88VSBossk
937 posts Member
edited June 2018
Just wondering what the community thinks of the new director's vision of the Star Wars movies that have come out in recent years. (Ron Howard, JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, Gareth Edwards) compared to George Lucas. I was watching Revenge of the Sith and kind of miss that magic touch of Lucas. The new ones to me sort of look dark and depressing now, especially Solo (well dark in film shots anyways). What is your thoughts?
Post edited by IG88VSBossk on

Replies

• The new versions and have way better technology/editing/cinematography than the prequels. I like the darker feeling of them. Say what you will about the actual screenplay/directing, but the new movies are better produced overall, I think.

Lucas was way too excited to overuse the CGI/technology of the late 90s/early 2000s, which made the movies look like a giant, colorful video game for kids. I like playing video games.... not watching them in theaters. Some of the battles were epic though like Geonosis.
  • Skowsa
    328 posts Member
    I think the two ST films did a very good job bringing back a lot of the Star Wars ”magic” that was lost in the prequel trilogy.

I have to agree with you. Strange as it may seem, the prequels feel more Disneyfied to me than the sequels.
    Somewhere between "the sky is falling" and "everything is awesome" lies the truth.
  • LeftTurnus
    1099 posts Member
    The initial two Lucas movies were great and groundbreaking.
    RotJ was the beginning of Lucas trying to get too cute, aka the Ewoks.
    Jar Jar Binks was the next extension of this, as well as an extended movie about a little by. The bulk of Phantom Menace really did not even need to be filmed.
    So I have a love/hat relationship with Lucas.

The other movies have not captured the initial magic.
    They have good parts and some really really d u m b things, such as Poe Mispronouncing "Hux" That entire scene set the movie up to be bad from the get go...
  • Writing aside (and without bias to any particular era):

The ST, I believe, is meant to look and feel like the OT. We are shown familiar climates (desert, snow, forest) in TFA

The PT looks too fake and clinical, way too much CGI, way too much thrown at the screen, way too many lightsabers, these films look like hybrid cartoons. I always felt that Lucas was competing against Titanic, Jurassic Park, even T2 with the visuals. Once he saw what was possible with the latest CG, he went nuts.

The Stories generally look too dark and grimey, to me, to feel like proper SW movies. Rogue One's Death Star scenes, and the last few minutes on the Blockade Runner do look and feel like OT. Solo is visually ugly overall. I hope Kenobi and Boba Fett do not have the same gray, dirty look as the first two stories.
  • LeftTurnus wrote: »
    The initial two Lucas movies were great and groundbreaking.
    RotJ was the beginning of Lucas trying to get too cute, aka the Ewoks.
    Jar Jar Binks was the next extension of this, as well as an extended movie about a little by. The bulk of Phantom Menace really did not even need to be filmed.
    So I have a love/hat relationship with Lucas.

The other movies have not captured the initial magic.
    They have good parts and some really really d u m b things, such as Poe Mispronouncing "Hux" That entire scene set the movie up to be bad from the get go...

Like with The Last Jedi, the beggining and end battles were the only parts that really gripped me. The Battle of Naboo and the Resistance escaping the cruiser was where I go back into full-attention. They just focused too hard on the story at the time and it didn't help it. The prequels had it rough in this regard because they had a set story to tell in a much smaller time limit that the sequels had (aka none).
  • RIFRIG
    482 posts Member
    The new versions and have way better technology/editing/cinematography than the prequels. I like the darker feeling of them. Say what you will about the actual screenplay/directing, but the new movies are better produced overall, I think.

Lucas was way too excited to overuse the CGI/technology of the late 90s/early 2000s, which made the movies look like a giant, colorful video game for kids. I like playing video games.... not watching them in theaters. Some of the battles were epic though like Geonosis.

I totally agree ^^^^^^
  • I dont know anyone who likes the disney movies.
  • ARC211092 wrote: »
    These new movies just feel cold, hallow and rushed. Not at all like Star Wars. They kinda feel like they're a cheap knock-off brand that you would find in a bargain bin at your local pharmacy.
    Say what you will about the prequels, but they were a whole lot better and felt more like Star Wars than these new movies.

No, man. No.
    These new movies just feel cold, hallow and rushed. Not at all like Star Wars. They kinda feel like they're a cheap knock-off brand that you would find in a bargain bin at your local pharmacy.
    Say what you will about the prequels, but they were a whole lot better and felt more like Star Wars than these new movies.

You better believe it.

• I see less "vision", and more reboot. Ohhhh the xwings are blue now! Standalones have been awesome, 7+8 feel uninspired. At least the prequels had world building and a plot that links them together.

No, man. No.

These new movies have thus far done nothing but cheaply copy the originals, and destroyed the original characters and their character development that they had gone through in the original trilogy.
  • sCr0llx
    251 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I do not like at all the new saga (7,8) but the stories are great, Rogue One and Solo are the movies that I like the most along with The Empire Strikes Back , episode 7 can be said to be a copy of episode 4 and episode 8 is the most absurd movie in all of history, , if Luke tried to save his father he did not know and was a murderer, he did not explain how he could try to kill his nephew he saw growing up and had not killed anyone. On the other hand, Rogue One is my favorite, I really like the story they tell you and the battles in space, Solo is an entertaining and nostalgic film, I had always wanted to see more of Han, to see how the kessel run was crushed, how I won the bet and how it was known with Chewy
  • Thread bookmarked. This is where the fun begins
  • RIFRIG
    482 posts Member
    sCr0llx wrote: »
    I do not like at all the new saga (7,8) but the stories are great, Rogue One and Solo are the movies that I like the most along with The Empire Strikes Back , episode 7 can be said to be a copy of episode 4 and episode 8 is the most absurd movie in all of history, , if Luke tried to save his father he did not know and was a murderer, he did not explain how he could try to kill his nephew he saw growing up and had not killed anyone. On the other hand, Rogue One is my favorite, I really like the story they tell you and the battles in space

Always worth watching a film a couple of times.....Ahch-To wasn't a vacation.
  • 2000sGuy
    5855 posts Member
    New Saga films are hot gatbage. The reason people say it brought back the star wars magic is due to their shameless re-treading of the same events and plot points from the OT, except done worse, not to mention it straight up ruins the original characters to make way for these new shallow ones.
    Rey- Has no motivations, faces no challenges that make us root for her, little character growth
    Finn- had potential, but is nothing more than a joke
    Poe- has no real growth either, had wasted potential, but hes the best case scenario out of the bunch
    Rose-weak character, made to push a message that has no place in star wars
    Kylo Ren-initally had potential, by the end of tfa was the butt of all jokes, showed potential of growing at the middle act of tlj but by the third act is returned to hus laughable self.

I mean “the force is female”. Yea that represents Lucas’ vision well.
    It might of brought back the magic for now, and the cinematography might be nice, but in the long run i dont see how these movies are going to age well from a critical standpoint. At least with the prequels Lucas made a story he felt was good and didnt start lashing out at fans for not liking his stuff.

Other than that Rogue One is ok, and to me Solo is a thing thats ok but not really rewatchable
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
    ARC211092 wrote: »

No, man. No.

These new movies have thus far done nothing but cheaply copy the originals, and destroyed the original characters and their character development that they had gone through in the original trilogy.

Nope, wrong again. Luke’s story in TLJ is great. And it has a Yoda scene that almost tops the ones in ESB. One of the best Star Wars films and far ahead of the PT in quality.
  • DarthJ wrote: »

No, man. No.

Nope, wrong again. Luke’s story in TLJ is great. And it has a Yoda scene that almost tops the ones in ESB. One of the best Star Wars films and far ahead of the PT in quality.

You do realise people are allowed a different opinion from you? No-ones opinion is wrong. Freedom of speech, democracy and all that.

LOL, I’m well aware. But from my point of view, saying the PT has destroyed the OT characters is plain wrong. I don’t have freedom of speech here?...
  • Jimmy89
    158 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    The best part of the sequel trilogy is

A 3rd Death Star
    The Resistance
    General Hux
    Maz kanata
    Rose
    Canto Bight
    Vice Admiral Holdo
    killing Luke off
    killing Snoke off

And the best story ?
  • Kerle
    427 posts Member
    Sorry, but there is nothing like a "Lucas Vision" except you start to think of George Lucas like a cartoonish figure with $ in his eyeballs. Then yes, that would be a Lucas vision.

Movies are not singularities entirely produced by a sole person, there are always so many people involved who bring in their own creative ideas and plans. George Lucas original purpose for Star Wars was to make an actioan movie that pushes the special effects to a new limit. He did it, thats something I acknowledge - but everything else?

Pretty much all I love about Star Wars was not made Lucas, that already starts with the great design of the droids, architecture and costumes. All of this design was pretty much done by Ralph McQuarrie.
    The music? John Williams. My two favorite Star Wars movies, ESB and ROTJ? Lucas did not even direct those.
    The great character building in Episode V, that people nowadays praise over the new movies? That was Irvin Kershners work, not Lucas's.

Long story short:

I always judge each and every movie on its own, not based on the biggest name on the cover.
    Lucas is not responsible for everything good, as Kennedy is not responsible for everything bad.

P.S.:

For all the people who still think Lucas would've been a good writer, the official Star Wars channel has a making-of from Phantom Menace online where Lucas said the following:

"The moment young Anakin flies into the Droid ship and destroys it with a single torpedo, we recreate what Luke did in a new hope. This is poetry, lets hope it'll rhyme."

A friend of mine who I showed that scene is a doctor and his professional response was:

"That man clearly had a stroke."
    "Lady Gaga said shes addicted to [THC]. And its not harmless." - Jeff Sessions, US Attorney General

"Yeah, ok, Jeff. But Lady Gaga also said: 'I think that men and women deserve to love each other equally'...
    ...So please, Jeff, if you going to live your life according to Gaga quotes, accept the entire canon." - John Oliver.
  • Batman20
    2003 posts Member
    Lucas is better he created Star Wars without him all this doesn't exist. Who cares if he messed up the prequels except for revenge the original trilogy films are amazing
  • Lucas's movies.
    But my personal view is Rogue One captured it nicely.
    Gareth Edwards well done you should take over and bring balance back to Star Wars.
  • mastery0ta
    6417 posts Member
    DarthJ wrote: »

No, man. No.

You do realise people are allowed a different opinion from you? No-ones opinion is wrong. Freedom of speech, democracy and all that.

LOL, I’m well aware. But from my point of view, saying the PT has destroyed the OT characters is plain wrong. I don’t have freedom of speech here?...

You do, and I respect your opinion. But no-one is shouting down your opinion, which you are doing to others. The other guy just brought up a different point on his opinion, he didnt say 'you're wrong' like you are doing.

Thank you. Yesterday, I stated my same opinion in the comment section of a YouTube video and some guy starting replying calling me a "fake fan" for simply not liking every single thing that has a Star Wars label on it. So it's refreshing to see someone who understands that opinions are, just that, opinions, not facts.

And in that regard, in my opinion, the new trilogy has destroyed the characters of Han, Luke, and Leia.
    TFA reset Han's character development and simply turned him into a mix of his character at the beginning of ANH and a guy who walked out on his wife and son.
    TLJ turned Luke from the most optimistic character who felt the light in his Sith Lord of a father and redeemed him, to a man who gave up on everything just because he had one of his padawans turn to the dark side.
    And I would rather not have to relive the cringe of the Mary Poppins Leia scene in TLJ.

I still don't get how Luke had such optimism for his child murdering father but has a bad feeling about his nephew and tries to slaughter him in his sleep.

• Definitely love/hate relationship with Lucas and the same with Disney. I'm waiting to see how Disney responds to the realization that they're releasing too much too quickly before I fully opine about how they're handling the franchise and (hopefully) learning from their mistakes. Lucas never learned from his mistakes, and was incredibly stubborn about what he did with a childish aversion to criticism and a god complex to boot.

I understand the fixation on Lucas as he was the original creator, but thinking there is some juxtaposition on Lucas' vision vs. Disney's vision is rose-colored goggles. I consider A New Hope and Empire to be quite dark, so I'm not sure I see a major difference between those and Disney's movies. The first two prequel films are just piles of CGI and have no personality whatsoever.

When I hear "Lucas's vision" I honestly think CGI and toys, and obviously money. No different with Disney. When people accuse Disney of being out to milk Star Wars it makes me roll my eyes because Lucas was all about that from the moment he saw the box office money roll in from A New Hope. The first episode of "The Toys That Made Us" on Netflix accurately shines a light on his turning Star Wars into a licensing machine. Lucas was ALL about the money and there's no denying that.

He released a goofy Christmas Special, which if Disney did that today there would be riots in the streets. Add to that two Saturday morning cartoon series about the Ewoks and Droids and two made-for-TV movies about the Ewoks.

Then there's the "Disney is shoehorning dumb scenes and characters for no reason" argument. Yes, they do have some scenes and events that play out for no explicable reason but the prequels were full of this kind of nonsense. Lucas would shoehorn scenes full of CGI just because he wanted more CGI, and I won't even bring up the special edition since it's been ridiculed to death.
  • Spiito
    1958 posts Member
    Both are fine for their own reasons. I have some issues with both, but ultimately it's not important.
    Wknuto!
  • Episodes 1-6 > Legends EU > Canon EU > New Anthology films > Sequels.
    "Dude, don't call us plucky, we don't know what it means."
    Devoted worshipper of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    I see less "vision", and more reboot. Ohhhh the xwings are blue now! Standalones have been awesome, 7+8 feel uninspired. At least the prequels had world building and a plot that links them together.

Like in the EU before this where literally everything was exactly the same besdes new characters? XD At least the sequels tried to make everything feel new and different.

No, man. No.

You do, and I respect your opinion. But no-one is shouting down your opinion, which you are doing to others. The other guy just brought up a different point on his opinion, he didnt say 'you're wrong' like you are doing.

I’m not ”shouting down” his opinion. The bloke I quoted never mentioned once that it was his opinion he stated when he said the new movies destroyed the OT characters. Yet you could read that between the lines in his case, but not in mine? And ”others”? Who else did I respond to? Sure you’re not just taking a stab at me because I’m in the ”ST over PT camp”?...

No, man. No.

Thank you. Yesterday, I stated my same opinion in the comment section of a YouTube video and some guy starting replying calling me a "fake fan" for simply not liking every single thing that has a Star Wars label on it. So it's refreshing to see someone who understands that opinions are, just that, opinions, not facts.

And in that regard, in my opinion, the new trilogy has destroyed the characters of Han, Luke, and Leia.TFA reset Han's character development and simply turned him into a mix of his character at the beginning of ANH and a guy who walked out on his wife and son.
    TLJ turned Luke from the most optimistic character who felt the light in his Sith Lord of a father and redeemed him, to a man who gave up on everything just because he had one of his padawans turn to the dark side.
    And I would rather not have to relive the cringe of the Mary Poppins Leia scene in TLJ.

I see you don your halo now, retroactively, so I will do the same:

And, in my opinion, you are very wrong. Felt the light in his father and then went mental on him, trying to cut him to pieces for mentioning his sister... I’d say Luke was very close to the darkness in the OT too, like his daddy.

And note, that I never said anything about your ”fandom” or what you are allowed to think or feel. I refuted the fact you stated.
  • DarthJ
    6695 posts Member
    I’m not ”shouting down” his opinion. The bloke I quoted never mentioned once that it was his opinion he stated when he said the new movies destroyed the OT characters. Yet you could read that between the lines in his case, but not in mine? And ”others”? Who else did I respond to? Sure you’re not just taking a stab at me because I’m in the ”ST over PT camp”?...

But it is his opinion. Its his thoughts on the films and the saga. Yes, its your opinion that he is wrong, but you are the only one repeatedly saying 'no' or 'you're wrong' - thereby you are shouting down his opinion. Just agree to disagree.

If someone were constantly flagging your posts and saying 'you're wrong' to you, I would have said the same to them. Because your opinions aren't wrong. So, no, I'm not picking on you for film choices. I would do the same if someone were having a pop at you saying you are wrong.
    PSN: ibrajoker59

But it is his opinion. Its his thoughts on the films and the saga. Yes, its your opinion that he is wrong, but you are the only one repeatedly saying 'no' or 'you're wrong' - thereby you are shouting down his opinion. Just agree to disagree.

If someone were constantly flagging your posts and saying 'you're wrong' to you, I would have said the same to them. Because your opinions aren't wrong. So, no, I'm not picking on you for film choices. I would do the same if someone were having a pop at you saying you are wrong.

He didn’t write that it was his opinion and I didn’t write that it is my opinion that he is wrong. What difference is there? Why not give me the same benefit of a doubt here? Well, I think I know why... In my very first post in this thread I literally wrote that ”I think” that and that about these films, stating it is my opinion. Don’t you think the subsequent comments are in reference to that?

And you should still answer who else I responded to, since you implied that it was generally how I talk to people. You deliberately trying to enhance the malice here by using words as ”others” and ”constantly”. Don’t make stuff up.
  • Anapoda wrote: »
    I rate episode 8 lower than even the phantom menace so...yeah...sad times in that galaxy far far away.

But Phantom Menace had some great scenery in Naboo, a great space battle, introduced the sleek N-1s to the universe, the Battle of Naboo all around was hectic and was a good intro to larger scale battles between ground troops that wasn't seen before in this scale. And then we get Darth Maul and the Duel of Fates, one of, if not the most, iconic lightsaber duels in Star Wars history. Fast paced action and superb swordsmanship that the original trilogy didn't have (for obvious reasons), and it gave a great soundtrack consistently matching the tone and atmosphere through the whole movie, which is pretty standard for Star Wars, to be fair. Besides Jar Jar being pushed too hard to be comic relief and the empty spaces for Anakin's freedom story before the podrace, it was a pretty great movie.

Really the whole trilogy had a lot of great story, it's just George Lucas needed some help as far as writing goes. Awkward dialogue and rushed story.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Lucas' vision was incredible. His stories actually had heart and felt inspired. Say what you will about the effects from the prequels... I was completely transported into his world and I don't think I ever really left. All 6 films are pure magic.

TFA was a pretty solid movie. It took me to a very similar place as the other films, which I enjoyed in my adult life.

TLJ however... I'm pretending that movie never happened. It felt shallow and uninspired, and I really can't find one redeeming quality about this movie.
    "He's no Jedi..."
  • Anapoda wrote: »
    I rate episode 8 lower than even the phantom menace so...yeah...sad times in that galaxy far far away.

But Phantom Menace had some great scenery in Naboo, a great space battle, introduced the sleek N-1s to the universe, the Battle of Naboo all around was hectic and was a good intro to larger scale battles between ground troops that wasn't seen before in this scale. And then we get Darth Maul and the Duel of Fates, one of, if not the most, iconic lightsaber duels in Star Wars history. Fast paced action and superb swordsmanship that the original trilogy didn't have (for obvious reasons), and it gave a great soundtrack consistently matching the tone and atmosphere through the whole movie, which is pretty standard for Star Wars, to be fair. Besides Jar Jar being pushed too hard to be comic relief and the empty spaces for Anakin's freedom story before the podrace, it was a pretty great movie.

To me, TLJ is one of the best Star Wars movies - top three - but I do agree that PM is not that bad. It is imo the best PT movie. Jar Jar is hard to get around and little Anakin in his fighter is a bit... meh. But the rest is not all that bad actually. I recently rewatched them and have adjusted my opinion slightly.
  • Anapoda
    741 posts Member
    If the best thing about a movie is its scenery, well, sorry but that's not a very good movie.
  • RIFRIG
    482 posts Member
    I don't suffer from sleep apnea but if a film isn't great I do get symptoms of it.

I have watched all episodes with the exception of A New Hope at the cinema & the only Star Wars films to have this affect on me were The Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones.

For me the Saga starts at episode III & all films from that point are good to great.
  • DarthJ
    6695 posts Member

He didn’t write that it was his opinion and I didn’t write that it is my opinion that he is wrong. What difference is there? Why not give me the same benefit of a doubt here? Well, I think I know why... In my very first post in this thread I literally wrote that ”I think” that and that about these films, stating it is my opinion. Don’t you think the subsequent comments are in reference to that?

And you should still answer who else I responded to, since you implied that it was generally how I talk to people. You deliberately trying to enhance the malice here by using words as ”others” and ”constantly”. Don’t make stuff up.

The difference being that you are saying they are wrong, whereas the comments responding to you have not explicitly said 'you are wrong' - they simply state their opinion after your comment. They may disagree but they dont state your opinion is wrong - your opinion is your thoughts and right to you. Again, if someone had retorted back to you with 'you are wrong' I would say the same to them. So in no way am I picking on you in particular or out of malice, I just dislike someone saying their opinion is wrong.

Well my bad on that, you havent to others in this thread. But I remember your name from other ST threads having a bash at anyone who has a difference of opinion to yours. Although those threads generally go down the toilet quickly, so you probably gave as good as you got.

If you felt I was picking on you out of malice then I apologise. I dont want to derail this thread and like I said, I am not picking on you.
    PSN: ibrajoker59

No, man. No.

you've gotta be kidding me, they destroyed luke...