criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Do you like the fantastical vision in Lucas Film's movies or do you like the new movies visions?

2Next

Replies

• Anapoda wrote: »
    I rate episode 8 lower than even the phantom menace so...yeah...sad times in that galaxy far far away.

But Phantom Menace had some great scenery in Naboo, a great space battle, introduced the sleek N-1s to the universe, the Battle of Naboo all around was hectic and was a good intro to larger scale battles between ground troops that wasn't seen before in this scale. And then we get Darth Maul and the Duel of Fates, one of, if not the most, iconic lightsaber duels in Star Wars history. Fast paced action and superb swordsmanship that the original trilogy didn't have (for obvious reasons), and it gave a great soundtrack consistently matching the tone and atmosphere through the whole movie, which is pretty standard for Star Wars, to be fair. Besides Jar Jar being pushed too hard to be comic relief and the empty spaces for Anakin's freedom story before the podrace, it was a pretty great movie.

To me, TLJ is one of the best Star Wars movies - top three - but I do agree that PM is not that bad. It is imo the best PT movie. Jar Jar is hard to get around and little Anakin in his fighter is a bit... meh. But the rest is not all that bad actually. I recently rewatched them and have adjusted my opinion slightly.

Then I feel sorry for you XD
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    DarthJ wrote: »
    I’m not ”shouting down” his opinion. The bloke I quoted never mentioned once that it was his opinion he stated when he said the new movies destroyed the OT characters. Yet you could read that between the lines in his case, but not in mine? And ”others”? Who else did I respond to? Sure you’re not just taking a stab at me because I’m in the ”ST over PT camp”?...

But it is his opinion. Its his thoughts on the films and the saga. Yes, its your opinion that he is wrong, but you are the only one repeatedly saying 'no' or 'you're wrong' - thereby you are shouting down his opinion. Just agree to disagree.

If someone were constantly flagging your posts and saying 'you're wrong' to you, I would have said the same to them. Because your opinions aren't wrong. So, no, I'm not picking on you for film choices. I would do the same if someone were having a pop at you saying you are wrong.

He didn’t write that it was his opinion and I didn’t write that it is my opinion that he is wrong. What difference is there? Why not give me the same benefit of a doubt here? Well, I think I know why... In my very first post in this thread I literally wrote that ”I think” that and that about these films, stating it is my opinion. Don’t you think the subsequent comments are in reference to that?

And you should still answer who else I responded to, since you implied that it was generally how I talk to people. You deliberately trying to enhance the malice here by using words as ”others” and ”constantly”. Don’t make stuff up.

The difference being that you are saying they are wrong, whereas the comments responding to you have not explicitly said 'you are wrong' - they simply state their opinion after your comment. They may disagree but they dont state your opinion is wrong - your opinion is your thoughts and right to you. Again, if someone had retorted back to you with 'you are wrong' I would say the same to them. So in no way am I picking on you in particular or out of malice, I just dislike someone saying their opinion is wrong.

Well my bad on that, you havent to others in this thread. But I remember your name from other ST threads having a bash at anyone who has a difference of opinion to yours. Although those threads generally go down the toilet quickly, so you probably gave as good as you got.

If you felt I was picking on you out of malice then I apologise. I dont want to derail this thread and like I said, I am not picking on you.

I’m not saying his opinion is wrong, I’m saying the statement he made was wrong. If he had said ”in my opinion the ST destroyed the OT characters, I would’ve responded with ”well, in my opinion you are wrong.” Now just scratch those two ”in-my-opinions” and you end up where we are now. And you remember incorrectly if you say I bashed anyone with a different opinion. In fact, you are very wrong about that, atleast if you say it without any context whatsoever. I’m always very wary of other people’s opinions, unless an opinion is stated as a fact. If someone makes an objective claim, I give an objective answer. I can tell you, being pro-TLJ is not without hurt and I have been told countless times that I’m not a real fan, that I have bad taste, that I don’t understand quality, etc, etc, etc. If you remember me, then you really should remember others more...

I don’t wanna derail either. In retrospect, yeah - I could’ve been more specific and put down an ”imo” - I usually do - but since the bloke I quoted presented his view as a fact, I didn’t think about it.
  • EoTRampage wrote: »
    Anapoda wrote: »
    I rate episode 8 lower than even the phantom menace so...yeah...sad times in that galaxy far far away.

But Phantom Menace had some great scenery in Naboo, a great space battle, introduced the sleek N-1s to the universe, the Battle of Naboo all around was hectic and was a good intro to larger scale battles between ground troops that wasn't seen before in this scale. And then we get Darth Maul and the Duel of Fates, one of, if not the most, iconic lightsaber duels in Star Wars history. Fast paced action and superb swordsmanship that the original trilogy didn't have (for obvious reasons), and it gave a great soundtrack consistently matching the tone and atmosphere through the whole movie, which is pretty standard for Star Wars, to be fair. Besides Jar Jar being pushed too hard to be comic relief and the empty spaces for Anakin's freedom story before the podrace, it was a pretty great movie.

To me, TLJ is one of the best Star Wars movies - top three - but I do agree that PM is not that bad. It is imo the best PT movie. Jar Jar is hard to get around and little Anakin in his fighter is a bit... meh. But the rest is not all that bad actually. I recently rewatched them and have adjusted my opinion slightly.

Then I feel sorry for you XD

Don’t. I get to enjoy new Star Wars films 2018. Not everyone is so lucky.
    ARC211092 wrote: »
    These new movies just feel cold, hallow and rushed. Not at all like Star Wars. They kinda feel like they're a cheap knock-off brand that you would find in a bargain bin at your local pharmacy.
    Say what you will about the prequels, but they were a whole lot better and felt more like Star Wars than these new movies.

No, man. No.

These new movies have thus far done nothing but cheaply copy the originals, and destroyed the original characters and their character development that they had gone through in the original trilogy.

Nope, wrong again. Luke’s story in TLJ is great. And it has a Yoda scene that almost tops the ones in ESB. One of the best Star Wars films and far ahead of the PT in quality.

you've gotta be kidding me, they destroyed luke...

No they didn’t. Imo. In my opinion Luke was portrayed perfectly as the flawed individual he always was. And who isnt? Luke has, in my opinion, always been dangerously close to the dark side, so him igniting his lightsaber before coming to his senses is pretty much what i’d expect him to do, seeing as he went mental on his old man just before he came to his senses back then. He also showed off some serious force powers, all in defense, before dying. That scene was amazing. Very dramatic. No, they got himjust right. Of course, this is just my opinion.
  • I prefer the new vision of Star Wars. TFA and TLJ are my favorite Star Wars movies :) They allow for an awesome cinematic experience but keep the fun there. Its the best balance :)

Ill say this though: I feel as if the other movies in the OT, PT and ST use the force more sparingly than in TLJ. I found it to be overused. It still doesn't harm the movie for me, but it's just an observation.

I think that George Lucas was good for the most part, but his movies kinda became meh with the inclusion of things that were supposed to be child friendly. Im very very very happy Disney are now in control <3 All my favorite movies are Disney movies! :D
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • Blinker
    465 posts Member
    To me nothing will beat the original 3 star wars films. They the only films I can watch with out falling to sleep. I thought the second set of 3 films was dull. And I've only tried to watch rouge one but have fell asleep every time I watch it.
  • ^^^^^^^^^xqufcqsbg0ie.gif
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
    These new movies just feel cold, hallow and rushed. Not at all like Star Wars. They kinda feel like they're a cheap knock-off brand that you would find in a bargain bin at your local pharmacy.
    Say what you will about the prequels, but they were a whole lot better and felt more like Star Wars than these new movies.

No, man. No.

These new movies have thus far done nothing but cheaply copy the originals, and destroyed the original characters and their character development that they had gone through in the original trilogy.

Nope, wrong again. Luke’s story in TLJ is great. And it has a Yoda scene that almost tops the ones in ESB. One of the best Star Wars films and far ahead of the PT in quality.

How? You think he reacted poorly to being the reason Ben turned to the dark? Or that he was, at his core, a human being and thought he could save the galaxy from another Vader because he wasn't raised like a typical Jedi that failed decades before? They used his past to validate what he was and did, and in the end redeemed himself by saving his family and the last hope of the galaxy. Tell me, how exactly did they destroy him?
  • OT is the best for me. I dont even consider the PT or the ST part of star wars canon in my world. I rarely even play those maps when im on this game, i just can't.

Hoping for a large scale bespin map and more tattooine stuff. Battlefront could also research a bit on the old star wars galaxy MMO. that game had some terrific locales
  • OT is the best for me. I dont even consider the PT or the ST part of star wars canon in my world. I rarely even play those maps when im on this game, i just can't.

Hoping for a large scale bespin map and more tattooine stuff. Battlefront could also research a bit on the old star wars galaxy MMO. that game had some terrific locales

Wow... I haven’t thought about that game for a while! I actually played it quite a bit pre-CU. Yes, it did have some great planets. What was that Rancor planet?... Dathomir?
  • Good thing Rose wasn't around when Holdo did her one useful thing in the whole movie. I think Rose is a FO spy.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Just wondering what the community thinks of the new director's vision of the Star Wars movies that have come out in recent years. (Ron Howard, JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, Gareth Edwards) compared to George Lucas. I was watching Revenge of the Sith and kind of miss that magic touch of Lucas. The new ones to me sort of look dark and depressing now, especially Solo (well dark in film shots anyways). What is your thoughts?

They feel dark and depressing? That's a joke.
  • 2000sGuy
    5854 posts Member
    EoTRampage wrote: »
    Everybody with even half a brain already knows so Im not going to waste my time trying to convince a braindead baboon. Have a nice day.

7460c694-08a4-4404-8d3a-41f51649121b-tumblr_oxkiegpfkn1tctq75o1_540.gif
    no need for insults in a discussion
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • I boycotted prequals, because they were so bad and didn't watch them at the cinema, watched them from TV, they indeed feel like made by Disney with Anakin boy and kids pod racing. Not boycotting sequels anymore, don't know which is the best from sequels, perhaps TLJ or Solo movie, though there was bad moments like Snoke getting killed and Lukes death and Solos death. Originals are still the best, I watched them many times at the cinema, New Hope three times and others two times. But they got some bad moments as well, Bobas death wasn't very good and same for Emperor.
    The prequals are a hundred times better than the disney garbage and only just below the OT.

Agree.
  • saltydog
    721 posts Member
    Lucas.
  • IG88VSBossk
    935 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    EoTRampage wrote: »

No, man. No.

No they didn’t. Imo. In my opinion Luke was portrayed perfectly as the flawed individual he always was. And who isnt? Luke has, in my opinion, always been dangerously close to the dark side, so him igniting his lightsaber before coming to his senses is pretty much what i’d expect him to do, seeing as he went mental on his old man just before he came to his senses back then. He also showed off some serious force powers, all in defense, before dying. That scene was amazing. Very dramatic. No, they got himjust right. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Finally someone said it perfectly. Its an unpopular opinion but i'll stick with it ;) Also when i meant Lucas's vision i meant Lucas Film as a whole team.
  • EA_Cian
    1225 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Let's keep the conversation focused on the topic, not namecalling. Thanks!
  • JAREDUP
    1571 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Lucas, anyone saying his movies suck and the disney ones are better is just your opinion, nothing more. Without Lucas' awesome dream and creativity, we wouldn't have star wars at all.

Good day sir!

EthicalBrightAmericantoad-size_restricted.gif
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • AzorAhai
    1312 posts Member
    I love them all. The prequels, unfortunately, were telling a story in which we already knew the ending, and I felt that George Lucas was working a little too hard to try to 'deepen' the background before the Original Trilogy. Jedi waving their hands to do jedi mind tricks (I always thought Obi-Wan did it like that on the fly in A New Hope, had no idea that Jedi did that regularly). Or the name Darth. Before The Phantom Menace, Darth was not a title...it was a name...like Kylo is now (please let's not make Kylo a title in future trilogies...Kylo Maul...Kylo Sidious). Haha. I kid because I love. Again, I love the prequels. I love it all. But I'm a sucker for Episodes IV through VI.
  • JAREDUP wrote: »
    Lucas, anyone saying his movies suck and the disney ones are better is just your opinion, nothing more. Without Lucas' awesome dream and creativity, we wouldn't have star wars at all.

Good day sir!

Saying Lucas’ films are better is also an opinion, man. Just saying. Love the OT (Lucas), Love the ST (Disney), dislike the PT (Lucas) - allthough it has gone from disgust to lukewarm feelings about that last one. Lucas has managed to make both the best and the worst of them, imo.
  • A_Very_Calm_Person
    141 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    to be honest i was so excited to watch TLJ because TFA felt quiet good.
    i was excited to get the new SWBF2 characters phasma and finn..
    but after leaving the cinema something changed. i felt like im not the audience the movie should be made for. couldnt even look at phasma or finn after the movie because everything felt wrong.

since phasma is pretty helpful in HvV and finn makes a good supporter in GA, ive builded some kind of tolerance for them.. but still, i have that subconscious voice in my had screaming: THEY ARE DEAD. DEAD CHARACTERS.
    tVsNOoH.gif
  • JAREDUP
    1571 posts Member
    JAREDUP wrote: »

Good day sir!

Saying Lucas’ films are better is also an opinion, man. Just saying. Love the OT (Lucas), Love the ST (Disney), dislike the PT (Lucas) - allthough it has gone from disgust to lukewarm feelings about that last one. Lucas has managed to make both the best and the worst of them, imo.

I agree, but what I was saying that anyone thinks the lucas films are trash but loves star wars is a hypocrite, the movies might not be the best but to say they are utter trash is insult to star wars itself, George Lucas is star wars, without him there is no star wars. Attacking what he made is attacking the core of star wars. Disagreeing is one thing, but attackng is on another level.
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • Lord_Oz
    433 posts Member
    There would have been a whole lot more **** off SW fans had George Lucas done the sequel trilogy. Curmudgeon Luke? Yeah he had that set up:
    Among the pieces presented at the meeting were portraits of an older Luke Skywalker training a new disciple named Kira (who was later renamed Rey). The idea was that, 30 years after the fall of the Empire, Luke had gone to a dark place and secluded himself in a Jedi temple on a new planet. The paintings show Luke meditating, reassessing his whole life.

Apparently, the initial plan for Star Wars: Episode 7 was that Luke, over the course of that movie, would rediscover his vitality and train this new Jedi. So basically, what we got from the Rey/Luke storyline in The Last Jedi was initially supposed to be the bones for George Lucas’ Episode 7.

And mysticism? Yeah Lucas was going to ruin all of the mystical aspects of the Force and make it more scientific. You thought Midichlorians were bad?

From Lucas' own mouth:
    “[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force… If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.”

“Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles for the Whills to travel around in….We’re vessels for them. And the conduit is the midichlorians. The midichlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force… All the way back to—with the Force and the Jedi and everything—the whole concept of how things happen was laid out completely from [the beginning] to the end. But I never got to finish. I never got to tell people about it.”

So yeah, all of you that clamored for Lucas to come back (despite being the same people that ran him off in the first place - mostly) would have debased him even more. Be thankful he gave it to Disney. Disney saved Star Wars from its creator. Plain and simple.
  • So far, I loved both of the spinoffs a lot more than I thought I would and despite all the hate, I liked episode 8. Not too crazy about 7 though. Disney just doesn't seem like they have a vision for where they're taking Star Wars.
    "Never tell me the odds!"
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I would take whatever George, the original creator, had planned over Disney SW any day.
  • Kerle
    427 posts Member
    to be honest i was so excited to watch TLJ because TFA felt quiet good.
    i was excited to get the new SWBF2 characters phasma and finn..
    but after leaving the cinema something changed. i felt like im not the audience the movie should be made for. couldnt even look at phasma or finn after the movie because everything felt wrong.

since phasma is pretty helpful in HvV and finn makes a good supporter in GA, ive builded some kind of tolerance for them.. but still, i have that subconscious voice in my had screaming: THEY ARE DEAD. DEAD CHARACTERS.

^ This. Episode VII introduced Finn and Phasma as quite interesting characters and TLJ just made poo-poo on them.

Actually I learned to re-like the characters with Battlefront, specially Phasma, who has twenty times more lines in this game than in two movies.

Phasma: "My soldiers are dying."
    Ren: "Yeah, what else are they supposed to do?"

"Even a wookie can't crush first order armor" - just imagine her delivering that line in the movie while having a showdown with chewie. Maybe even in melee combat.

"Resistance. Criminals. Terrorists."

"Any struggle is a crime"

This game shows much better who Phasma is and where she comes from, than two movies.

"Lady Gaga said shes addicted to [THC]. And its not harmless." - Jeff Sessions, US Attorney General

"Yeah, ok, Jeff. But Lady Gaga also said: 'I think that men and women deserve to love each other equally'...
    ...So please, Jeff, if you going to live your life according to Gaga quotes, accept the entire canon." - John Oliver.