criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

The Duelists Season- 1v1 Concept

Piscettios
5814 posts Member
edited June 2018
n1xeqeesdxg6.png

Here’s a throne room/duel season concept I’ve been slowly plugging away at as ideas came to me. I’m not really looking to nitpick the fine details of a saber combat overhaul, this is more for a general feel. I’ve seen a lot of mentions about 1v1 and private matches since launch. I think this would be a cool idea after Rogue One Season 4 and Hunt Expansion season 5. :p

Here goes:
The Duelists-Season 6

Heroes: Qui-Gon, Mace Windu, Finn w/Lightsaber
Villains: Darth Sidious w/Lightsaber, FN-2199, Snoke

Maps:
OT: DS2 Throne Room, Carbon Freezing Camber
PT: Bridge of the Invisible Hand; The Senate’s Office
ST: Snoke’s Throne Room, Forest of Starkiller Base
qgp03zpkv3xo.jpeg
381w0587bgze.jpeg
kmx10vo8r00t.jpeg
cdii6svb7tjw.jpeg
cbgqekal57h1.jpeg
2abldpbeut6s.png

Improvements to saber combat:
-Melee weapon damage balanced against other heroes
-Saber and Stun locks removed
-Block has separate stamina bar or
-Block drains stamina if held for 5 seconds with no contact
-Jump attacks break blocks
-Abilities do half damage and effect if opponent dashes during the abilities use

*Private matches now available for all hero modes

—Duelists Mode(8 players)—
-Bracket tourney, winner stays, losers go to 4 player bracket
-2:30 min rounds, three total duels for all players to determine the winner and final rank.
-Next match seeds as follows: 1vs2, 3vs4, 5vs6, 7vs8... this avoids the previous round losers from staying at the bottom rank and has the two best face off first round.
-Next match: hero selection starts with 8th place-1st place
-New players to the lobby fill in bottom places, previous match players move up one spot for each that leaves at the end of the match.
-4 light side max, 4 dark side max characters.

Characters available:
LS-Rey, Luke, Yoda, Obiwan, Anakin, Finn, Quigon, Mace Windu
DS-Kylo, Vader, Palps, Snoke, Sidious, FN-2199, Grievous, Dooku

Tie breakers determined by main weapon hit percentage or total damage dealt by main weapon.

Skins:
20k: Hooded Maul, Hooded Luke, Hooded Sidious
40k: Anakin AotC robes, Obiwan Geonosis, Bespin Luke
80k: Old Ben Kenobi, Projection on Crait Luke, Shirtless Kylo

I’m sure there will be objections to Finn, FN and Sidious but including them covers almost all (if not all?)duels from the movies. 6 maps and 6 heroes is probably too ambitious, but this is my idea of dam busting. ;)
Knights of Gareth
XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
Post edited by Piscettios on

Replies

• Andre_bassani
    226 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Finn with a lightsaber would be an awful hero since he has no force power and sucks with the lightsaber

But the rest of the ideas are great
  • Anything with Qui Gon gets my approval
  • Good stuff man

Though I'd really prefer if we didn't got a second finn and a second palpatine..
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Okay, okay. ditch Jedi poser Finn and Sidious and we have a deal? Would be awkward with two Palps facing off and complicates other modes with how they would work.

The mighty TR-8R killing Rey will put a smile on the faces of approximately half the globe

olf4d4pbq6ax.jpeg
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Another location I think could work

The hangar on Geonosis where Dooku wrecked Anakin and Obi-Wan
    cE3d9TO.jpg
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Another location I think could work

The hangar on Geonosis where Dooku wrecked Anakin and Obi-Wan
    cE3d9TO.jpg

Definitely... a flat map, no where to hide from the Count.

Also contemplated the Theed Generator Room, but the giant hole in the middle could be a rage inducer.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    Wow, this is actually really cool.
    Snoke's throne room, to the carbon freezing chambers... Quite a diverse selection for the arena maps.

A Saber 1v1 death match mode has the potential to be a great mode if they rework the saber combat.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• F03hammer
    5012 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    Great ideas :)
    Voluntary Star Wars Battlefront Moderator

28zvwf.jpg
    GT XBOX:
    buyakashak

• Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Thanks fellas.

Thought I’d give this one last bump, I find it hard to believe there aren’t more people that would enjoy private matches and one on one duels with a small tournament mode.

If not, we’ll let Baze blow this idea into the forum abyss.
    752m6z4do7mi.jpeg

Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • RealSlim
    27 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Sounds good

lzhnbcytxorl.jpg
  • Zyder
    374 posts Member
    Please EA/DICE. Make this happen and Battlefront II will be long played and remembered. Also, you can add destructible environments in the rooms (like statues or windows when using the Force).
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Zyder wrote: »
    Please EA/DICE. Make this happen and Battlefront II will be long played and remembered. Also, you can add destructible environments in the rooms (like statues or windows when using the Force).

Cool idea. Would also be nice to see sparks fly when you hit a computer or see smoke fill an area when a pipe or vent is hit.

I’d love to see this mode come, or something like it.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Finn should not get a saber imo, he is good with a gun and that's about it. And Snoke? We never even saw him pull out a saber.
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Techkiddz wrote: »
    Finn should not get a saber imo, he is good with a gun and that's about it. And Snoke? We never even saw him pull out a saber.

Anything you like in the OP?

I’d be fine with no Finn, just wanted to cover all characters that participated in movie duels. Snoke could work and he wouldn’t necessarily have to have a lightsaber.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • @Piscettios I liked everything else, even though I just really want something like For Honor.
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Bring the duel mode, this is the season you’ve been looking for.
    2gqg0v30fvzl.gif
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Bumping this for the recent interest in a duel mode... I think I had some solid ideas for it. cy7qtviesfvg.gif
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • HvV should be reworked into 2015 HvV without infantry, HS should be reworked into a duel mode

Need a mode to flex with Dooku in
    ktxnjdcu2k87.gif
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Why do you guys want 5 million game modes stuffed into one game instead of actual time, effort, and development in a new game? I seriously don't understand.
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Why do you guys want 5 million game modes stuffed into one game instead of actual time, effort, and development in a new game? I seriously don't understand.

I’d like for this game to be successful and have stay around for a while. IMO it just needs a few modes, maps etc to be right where it needs to be to have some longevity.

These ideas myself and others present can just as easily be looked at for the next game if they can’t fit here.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Bring forth the dueling, DICE.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Not a bad idea! Would be cool to see. I know they said they have no plans to give Palpatine a lightsaber, but this would be a great concept to implement since it’s rare to get a decent duel in HvV and even in Hero Showdown (where it was supposed to be placed).
  • YEEEESSSSA

But don’t exclude heroes from the roster wtf dude?!

But other than that the concept is awesome!!

PLEASE DICE!

@F8RGE
    Make Maul great again.
  • NEED THIS. I will pay money to have this done. No joke. Put me in contact with the team.
  • crssquared wrote: »
    NEED THIS. I will pay money to have this done. No joke. Put me in contact with the team.

I swear put this out as a DLC for 50$ I’ll buy it ****
    Make Maul great again.
  • Deckard112 wrote: »
    YEEEESSSSA

But don’t exclude heroes from the roster wtf dude?!

But other than that the concept is awesome!!

PLEASE DICE!

@F8RGE

It was meant to solely focus on melee/saber characters. Could work fine with or a separate blaster version as well. I also came up with this long before any of the PT heroes were released. 🤷🏼‍♂️😄

The main takeaway would be the tournament mode + private matches. I think I had a pretty good tourney setup in this. 👌🏻
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • I would gladly pay extra for this.
  • That would be awesome. This would be the most fun you could have with lightsaber heros. And all those small maps would be fun to play in. nice ideas!
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Spergicide wrote: »
    That would be awesome. This would be the most fun you could have with lightsaber heros. And all those small maps would be fun to play in. nice ideas!

Thanks! It hardly got any traction back when I tossed this together. I think this would be so much more fun than Hero Showdown.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Hellooo what have we here?

(I love this idea. I wish this was a season)
    I'm the sarlacc that ate Boba Fett. I wish I hadn't because he was a favorite by many fans and an underdeveloped character.

Check out my concepts of a Coruscant Community Transmission Here:

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/131088/coruscant-community-transmission-concept#latest
  • vBREEDv
    268 posts Member
    Mace Winduuuu
  • Phyxsius
    372 posts Member
    Why separate saber and blaster heroes?
  • Phyxsius wrote: »

Because all we want is saber combat 1v1.

No one wants to shoot blaster round at each other until you’re dead.
    Make Maul great again.
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Phyxsius wrote: »

This was intended to just showcase dueling from the movies.
    Deckard112 wrote: »

A 1v1 blaster showdown could be equally as fun I think. Would need different maps though.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Phyxsius
    372 posts Member
    edited April 3
    Deckard112 wrote: »

Maybe you don't, but others might do. Another thing is even more funny: blaster heroes vs saber heroes, or, you know... the whole hero roster. What is even MORE funny, drop the LS vs DS theme, make all heroes available, so we can finally know what happened when Boba Fett fought Vader, or Maul fought Palpatine.

You know, real and challenging matches, not cherry picked biased crap.
  • So would you have abilities or not? Because this is a team game built around armies fighting armies. If you look at the majority of the hero abilities, they are crafted around a team concept.

Everyone always talks about "skill"....so you want 1 v 1 sabers only and only sabers, no abilities at all in any way, shape or form, and no star cards either?
  • Phyxsius
    372 posts Member
    edited April 3
    Just hit me, as an addendum to my previous post, have full roster available for both players, so identical matchups can happen. You know, so we avoid all that nonsense about some toons being better at individual play than others.

After all, we want an even playing field, not a DS only show or bias, right?
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Appl3corps wrote: »
    So would you have abilities or not? Because this is a team game built around armies fighting armies. If you look at the majority of the hero abilities, they are crafted around a team concept.

Everyone always talks about "skill"....so you want 1 v 1 sabers only and only sabers, no abilities at all in any way, shape or form, and no star cards either?

Which saber user specifically would their abilities have a negative effect on their play in a 1v1 situation? Because 1v1’s happen quite often in the current hero modes so I don’t see where this is a major issue. But obviously some will be better choices than others.
    Just hit me, as an addendum to my previous post, have full roster available for both players, so identical matchups can happen. You know, so we avoid all that nonsense about some toons being better at individual play than others.

If you check in my opening post, hero choice starts with 8th place choosing first then up the line. This would force the ‘better/higher’ finishers from the previous match to possibly change up their hero and you wouldn’t see the same top finisher using the same hero every match.

I personally don’t like the idea of every match being all Anakins vs a bunch of Dookus for example. In the set up I had DS vs DS match ups would be possible however.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • I made up a well thought out concept for HvV, which INCLUDES 1v1s and I would want to invite you to check it out.

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/133965/completely-new-approach-on-hvv#latest
    Make Maul great again.
  • Piscettios wrote: »

If you check in my opening post, hero choice starts with 8th place choosing first then up the line. This would force the ‘better/higher’ finishers from the previous match to possibly change up their hero and you wouldn’t see the same top finisher using the same hero every match.

I personally don’t like the idea of every match being all Anakins vs a bunch of Dookus for example. In the set up I had DS vs DS match ups would be possible however.

You need all heroes in the poll and every player given the choice to select them, because there will be a "meta" and you can't limit it to one side, decided by the dice.

It will turn into identical matches soon enough, but that is the risk of not having teams and complementary heroes to make up for built in weaknesses. 1 vs 1 is a very specific mode that aleays requires the absolute cookie cutter or min maxed build and that absolutely cannot be left to chance. Any player, regardless of side, HAS to be able to select from ALL heroes available, including duplicate as opposite side.

Furthermore, it is a mistake not having blaster heroes included. I understand your idea, but not everyone mains sabers and the maps should be big enough to move around a bit, not forced melee because there isn't more room than a 5 vs 5 square meters patch.
  • I dont see why it would be so hard to implement so why not dice
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    Piscettios wrote: »

You need all heroes in the poll and every player given the choice to select them, because there will be a "meta" and you can't limit it to one side, decided by the dice.

It will turn into identical matches soon enough, but that is the risk of not having teams and complementary heroes to make up for built in weaknesses. 1 vs 1 is a very specific mode that aleays requires the absolute cookie cutter or min maxed build and that absolutely cannot be left to chance. Any player, regardless of side, HAS to be able to select from ALL heroes available, including duplicate as opposite side.

Furthermore, it is a mistake not having blaster heroes included. I understand your idea, but not everyone mains sabers and the maps should be big enough to move around a bit, not forced melee because there isn't more room than a 5 vs 5 square meters patch.

It wouldn’t be decided by the dice, it would be decided by previous match performance. Having it this way would basically force top performers out of the top selections and their likely their comfort zone. Thus increasing the chance of evening the playing field.

If this was released as a mode today, having it the way you suggest, would simply be ‘Anakin with occasional Dooku and Vader’ tournament... which would defeat the purpose entirely. Doing it the way I suggest, the worst player from the previous match gets a chance to take the top choice and increase their chance of finishing higher. Top finisher would have to show and prove well rounded hero play taking a possibly less desirable one. This wouldn’t be a problem at all for those that are great with the glow sticks.

And like I’ve said a few times, having a blaster hero version and set up would work just fine. But this idea was to showcase dueling from the movies played out in game. IMO including blaster heroes in a duel mode mixed with sabers would also defeat the purpose i was going for here.

But in the end none of this matters, I tossed this idea out in June of last year and we all know this or nothing like it will be coming.
    Colin777 wrote: »
    I dont see why it would be so hard to implement so why not dice

It sounds a alot more fun on paper than current HvV to me.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13