criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

Marvel vs DC

Here's what I think overall:
Movies: Marvel
DC bombed Justice League and Suicide Squad, even though Wonder Woman was good. Marvel has been putting out some better movies lately. However the Dark Knight trilogy was amazing, but nothing can make up for JL and *****.
Comics: DC
DC comics are way better, as they have the better storylines and artists in my opinion.
Heroes: Marvel
This one is really close, but I think Marvel has the cooler lineup. Batman is by far my favorite of all heroes in both universes, but the rest of the justice league isn't quite as good.
Villains: DC
Joker. Penguin. Lex Luthor. Darkseid. Loki is cool, but that's really about it for Marvel, Thanos is overrated. Also DC has the greatest villain of all time, KING TUT!
So which do I like better? Marvel, though I like both. I feel like they know what they're doing better than DC overall right now, though DC might start turning it around if they decide to add DC dark, and if the Joker stand alone is really good, which it has potential. I am a Batman fan, and I just like how dark he is. Also he has the best rogues gallery of all heroes too, but the rest of DC is failing right now, and even Batman isn't as good as the Christian Bale version was.
"Never tell me the odds!"

Replies

• Imo:

Movies - Marvel. No competition
    TV shows - DC, no competition. The Arrowverse is amazing <3
    Comics - Not sure, Ive only read one DC comic and thats my entire comic experience :P
    Heroes - Overall, Marvel. DC I tend to be mixed with. I think Superman is one of the most boring characters ever. The heroes I like from DC are from the CW tv shows
    Villains - DC
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • DarthJ
    6687 posts Member
    I'll admit before I start that whilst I love both, I lean towards DC overall. So I may be slightly biased.

Live action movies - Marvel currently by a mile. Although historically DC was the frontrunner for this and Marvel nearly went bankrupt playing catch up (that's why a lot of their heroes are owned by various media outlets for films etc). I also think Justice League was a good watch, and Wonder Woman was amazing. I liked BvS but that and Suicide Squad weren't well received. Hoping Aquaman starts DC's rise back up in movies.

TV Shows - Marvel currently, although its a close run thing. DC started well but I feel the shows (Arrow and Flash in particular) have generally went stale in my opinion. Not a fan of Gotham either, I feel it veers too far away from Batman lore at times. Couldn't get into Krypton or Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl was too cringey.
    For Marvel, I could never get into Agents of Shield, watched 2 seasons and found it average. But they turned it around well with the Defenders shows, Daredevil in particular has been fantastic. Defenders was good, Jessica Jones was great, and Punisher was good. Luke Cage was OK and Iron Fist was meh.

Animated movies - DC by a large margin. They have had some great hits here.

Comics - DC by a country mile. I had a lot of both in my subscription, but have whittled it down and enjoy DC by a large margin. Better artwork and stories. Marvel has nosedived in recent years in comics.

Heroes - DC for me. Batman is my favourite hero overall, but Spider-Man has always been my second. I just think after that, at least for me, DC comes out on top. Not a huge fan of Superman but I realize how iconic he is. I love Green Lantern (well...3 of the 6 of the human Lanterns), The Flash, Nightwing, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman.....the list is endless for good DC heroes.
    Whilst I love Spider-Man, I'm not massive on many of Marvels heroes. I like Captain America, Hulk, and the X-Men (particularly Gambit), but after that I'm meh on many of their heroes. This is from comic days though, before Iron Man became actually well known and popular to everyone.

Villains - DC by a mile. Batman's Rogues gallery beats any Marvel villain for me. But I am biased. You have Ares, Darkseid, Lex Luthor, Cheetah, Zoom, Sinestro....again, to me, the list is endless.
    I like Spider-Mans villains, with Venom one of my favourite all time comic characters. I like Magneto and the Brotherhood, Red Skull and a few others, but DC's are more memorable.

Video Games - DC - The Batman Arkham series and DC Universe Online are great. Marvel has struggled with games but I hope that changes with Spider-Man in September.

Like I said I prefer DC overall, but I love both. OP, I would say DC is far from failing. Regardless of critics for the new DCU films, they rake in huge amounts of money. And in terms of other areas they are far ahead. But I don't get those who hate one and love the other - love both!
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • bfloo
    15814 posts Member
    Movies Marvel, though they are starting to lose my interest with movies coming out constantly. Aside from Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad, the DC reboot has been awful. Most of the animated Batman movies have been pretty good, though they dropped the ball with Gotham by Gaslight. The Bale Batman Trilogy, plus the Michael Keaton Batman movies were very good/ great.

Comics I'm not that into comics, but I have more interest in DC, the Harley Quinn comics were great.

Characters Batman, Joker and Harley Quinn are my top 3. Spiderman and Wolverine fill out the top 5. In the current films, Marvel characters are better.
    I don't know where X-Men fit in this whole debate.

TV Shows Haven't gotten into any of them, but Batman the Animated Series was great.

Video Games Only super hero games I ever enjoyed were Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. The new Spider Man looks like it could be good, depending on if they do a good job with the story, but I'm an xbox warrior so.....

I guess I'm going with DC :)

The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Stephen Wolf looked like a PS3 villain. I hated JL to say the least.

Marvel is top dog right now.
    Psn: Jello770
  • LaurenXIV wrote: »
    Imo:

Movies - Marvel. No competition
    TV shows - DC, no competition. The Arrowverse is amazing <3
    Comics - Not sure, Ive only read one DC comic and thats my entire comic experience :P
    Heroes - Overall, Marvel. DC I tend to be mixed with. I think Superman is one of the most boring characters ever. The heroes I like from DC are from the CW tv shows
    Villains - DC

I agree, Superman's really overrated
  • Jello770 wrote: »
    Stephen Wolf looked like a PS3 villain. I hated JL to say the least.

Marvel is top dog right now.

Steppenwolf was so bad, DC has spo many great villains they could have used, but instead they introduce a boring, world domination based villain that no one knows about and no one cares about. Great.
  • Movies: Marvel. Really no competition here.

Comics: I don't read them unfortunately.

TV Shows: Marvel - The Netflix shows. No competition here.

Heroes: Marvel. Much better character development, with solo films to build them up, followed by ensemble films, rather than the quick other way around.

Villains: Thanos goes above most DC villains easily in terms of how everything about him actually met the hype: raw power, intellect, motivation and consequences following his actions. Recent DC villains have been a joke. Steppenwolf was a joke and had hilariously terrible CGI.

Videogames: DC - The Arkham games. Imagine what Marvel could do with Rocksteady behind them.

Verdict: Kind of obvious.