criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

Should LucasFilm have new leadership?

Wing02k6
56 posts Member
edited June 2018
I have been hearing major news on youtube and all that Disney's CEO Bob Iger intends to possibly take action against Kathleen Kennedy and anyone who is loyal to her by firing them.

Heres what fans have been annoyed of for quite sometime from what has been told but dont take my words for it.

1. Lots of unnecessary political appeal. There was a lot of evidence of that in Solo, The Last Jedi, and of course Rogue One. I will let you all figure that out for yourselves.

2. Massive amounts of merchandise spamming/selling. Noticed a high volume of that and you think that's a bit out of control?

3. Controversy from the last Star Wars Celebration event when they announced Battlefront 2. One of the people asked a specific question to a huge audience which rubbed a lot of fans and people the wrong way and it has sparked a huge problem since. You can see it in Battlefront 2's story mode and its protagonist and you can figure the rest out for yourselves.

4. The lengths in them replacing Directors. Ron Howard had replace the last director and redirect over 80% of the Solo Movie. TBH he did well salvaging the movie despite the circumstances he was put in and He too is a Star Wars fan. He did not like the direction that Kennedy has been taking it to thus far.

I could go on but I like to see what the fans here on the forums think.

IMO she should get fired. She failed George Lucas and lied to him which is a stab in the back for fans.

Note: Keep it civil and friendly please. We all care about Star Wars right? lets keep it that way.

Baiting thread title edited. - EA_Cian
Post edited by EA_Cian on

Replies

• LaurenXIV
    446 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Im not entirely sure what 1 and 3 are about tbh, and I think both only exist in people's imaginations :P
    Am I supposed to be able to see some kind of controversy about Iden? Idek

But no, Kathleen Kennedy absolutely should not be fired. The recent SW movies are some of the best the franchise has seen.
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    Maybe restrained a little but not fired.

1. I don't think it's as big as a problem as people are making it out to be. Yeah L3 was too preachy in Solo but it did fit the universe, I agree that Admiral Holdo was an unnecessary character that was made to appeal to people IMO, didn't notice anything in Rogue 1 (please explain).

2. No, people think its out of hand now but what star wars merchandising is now is petty compared to what Revenge of the Sith's merchandising campaign was.

3. Can you go into detail about this one? I am unaware of any comments she made. What is wrong with Iden? She was a creation of the Lucasfilm story team and the other media that includes her is a novel and I doubt Kennedy has any direct control over how the novels are written.

4. The original directors for Solo were supposedly fired because they were making the film too much of a comedy, which they probably were, i think that was the genre they specialized in. One of the biggest complaints of TLJ was how unconnected to TFA it felt so it probably was a better idea to get JJ back so he can tie where we are now back to his creation.

I'm not really a fan of her but she is hardly deserving to be fired.

Lucas sold out if he didn't want to be left out he shouldn't have sold and honestly he has done some things I as a fan am not very happy about. Banning David Prowse from events and forcing the first few episodes of CW into a movie to name a few.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Yes she should go. She had her shot, and she blew it.
    Psn: Jello770
  • In a word, yes.
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • OcDoc
    1943 posts Member
    I don’t want agendas in my favorite movies of all time - Star Wars.

For this alone, I would like to see her go.

I am so over this social justice propaganda nonsense. It just doesn’t belong in this franchise. I get it EVERYWHERE else and it is way too obvious in the movies. Therefore, the movies are not an escape from reality but rather a reminder of daily life. As far as I know, she is responsible for this and I think it is bad for the franchise.

Maybe if we weren’t bombarded with these social messages I would feel differently. It has been so much for so long now that I don’t know if they can figure out a story that stands on its own without trying to convince us how and what to think.

My two cents.

• She should stay out of creative decision making. Let her focus on money management.
  • OcDoc wrote: »

I am so over this social justice propaganda nonsense. It just doesn’t belong in this franchise. I get it EVERYWHERE else and it is way too obvious in the movies. Therefore, the movies are not an escape from reality but rather a reminder of daily life. As far as I know, she is responsible for this and I think it is bad for the franchise.

Maybe if we weren’t bombarded with these social messages I would feel differently. It has been so much for so long now that I don’t know if they can figure out a story that stands on its own without trying to convince us how and what to think.

My two cents.

Can you give any examples as to why you think the new movies are particularly political without commenting on the appearance, gender or sexual orientation of the characters? (Those things are apolitical, and have no inherent influence on someone's political opinions, and their inclusion is not biased to either side of the political debate, just a reflection of humanity as it exists).
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • bfloo
    15819 posts Member
    Do I think she should go, yes. Dizney Warz has just not done a good job except for Rogue One. The ST has been trash. Solo was a fun flick, but not a great Star Wars movie.

The over the top sjw themes are typical of Hollywood these days, look at the Ghostbusters remake.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• OcDoc
    1943 posts Member
    LaurenXIV wrote: »
    OcDoc wrote: »

My two cents.

Can you give any examples as to why you think the new movies are particularly political without commenting on the appearance, gender or sexual orientation of the characters? (Those things are apolitical, and have no inherent influence on someone's political opinions, and their inclusion is not biased to either side of the political debate, just a reflection of humanity as it exists).

I used the term agenda, not politics.

• OcDoc wrote: »

My two cents.

You also used the words "social justice propaganda nonsense" :P

If you would prefer to PM me because of the rules about politics, Im happy to listen :) Id like to hear the reasons why you feel that way (or anyone who feels that the new movies have particular agendas, political or otherwise, especially Rogue One mentioned in the OP because wth) because Im not convinced theres any truth to it, after listening to a number of people sharing similar thoughts about Star Wars and other things. I feel that its a question of people being overly sensitive about the slightest thing that they believe disagrees with them; mixed with many members of the fanbase being overprotective of the Star Wars franchise and resistant in the ways it has evolved... causing a perspective of the movies that is very different from their actual content. I would like to hear more POVs, so I can like... understand it all. Atm, the things other people have said are just... well, rumors, unsubstantiated claims of agendas/politics or mentions of things that have absolutely nothing to do with any kind of agenda or political opinion, but they act like its the end of the world O_o
  • bfloo
    15819 posts Member

My two cents.

If you would prefer to PM me because of the rules about politics, Im happy to listen :) Id like to hear the reasons why you feel that way (or anyone who feels that the new movies have particular agendas, political or otherwise, especially Rogue One mentioned in the OP because wth) because Im not convinced theres any truth to it, after listening to a number of people sharing similar thoughts about Star Wars and other things. I feel that its a question of people being overly sensitive about the slightest thing that they believe disagrees with them; mixed with many members of the fanbase being overprotective of the Star Wars franchise and resistant in the ways it has evolved... causing a perspective of the movies that is very different from their actual content. I would like to hear more POVs, so I can like... understand it all. Atm, the things other people have said are just... well, rumors, unsubstantiated claims of agendas/politics or mentions of things that have absolutely nothing to do with any kind of agenda or political opinion, but they act like its the end of the world O_o

This pic makes it pretty obvious;

pniueu7uwxqw.jpg
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

My two cents.

pniueu7uwxqw.jpg

The shirts look like they're related to the Nike "The Force is Female" campaign celebrating strong, successful, influential women who push boundaries and can inspire future generations to fulfil their dreams.

Please explain :P
  • LaurenXIV wrote: »

I know you said no Appearance , gender or sexual orientation but None of the new main characters are alien everyone is a human.

Clearly this is a human supremacist agenda.

Clearly! :D

We need more Twi'leks.

They make everything better :P

I know you said no Appearance , gender or sexual orientation but None of the new main characters are alien everyone is a human.

We need more Twi'leks.

Idk they made Zeltrons canon again. We need more of them.

Now all we need is the sapient space raptors to be canon

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ssi-ruu
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.

We need more Twi'leks.

Idk they made Zeltrons canon again. We need more of them.

Now all we need is the sapient space raptors to be canon

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ssi-ruu

Haha I know about the Ssi-ruu :P I swear, for every normal form of media in the EU like KOTOR, there was also something completely insane :P

Buuutttt, playing as space dinosaurs in a Star Wars game does sound fun... :P Skins in Battlefront II??? :D
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    bfloo wrote: »

My two cents.

pniueu7uwxqw.jpg

Do fun t-shirts for women and messages of equality really threaten the franchise or you? SW is for all people and intergalactic beings, not just white male earthlings!
    Post edited by Kenobi_Dude on

Haha I know about the Ssi-ruu :P I swear, for every normal form of media in the EU like KOTOR, there was also something completely insane :P

Buuutttt, playing as space dinosaurs in a Star Wars game does sound fun... :P Skins in Battlefront II??? :D

The 90s Star Wars Eu was the best. Its like there was no limit or regulation of what could or couldnt be added to the lore.

We got a guy with 8 light sabers implanted into his body including his Knees. LIGHTSABERS IN HIS KNEEES!!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Irek_Ismaren

How ever it seems even now Disney has no care of what Marvel adds in the comics. Because we are getting some of that 90s style of Eu.

There is a planet that is just Dark souls in the new comics.

latest?cb=20170620041301
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • Jello770 wrote: »
    Yes she should go. She had her shot, and she blew it.

This.

We need more Twi'leks.

No doubt, love me some Twi’leks.
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

My two cents.

pniueu7uwxqw.jpg

I honestly don't mind the force being female compared to it being a time machine according to Dave Filoni.

But both of those are incorrect as the force is an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • EA_Cian
    1225 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Hopping in here with a quick reminder for folks - please remember that political discussions are against the forum rules. This includes discussions that lean into ideas of 'agendas' and discussion of sociopolitical issues such as gender equality, etc. I'm leaving the discussion open at the moment but would ask folks keep this in mind, otherwise, the discussion will have to be closed.
  • Wing02k6
    56 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Interesting points that a lot of people made. When I got word about what was going on at Disney, I thought it would be a good idea to find about what others like me who play battlefront 2 would think about the situation. Gives out a bigger picture in mind. Thanks folks.
    EA_Cian wrote: »
    Hopping in here with a quick reminder for folks - please remember that political discussions are against the forum rules. This includes discussions that lean into ideas of 'agendas' and discussion of sociopolitical issues such as gender equality, etc. I'm leaving the discussion open at the moment but would ask folks keep this in mind, otherwise, the discussion will have to be closed.

Red flag issued.

Which forum rules are you talking about exactly? you guys don't have anything that states about "political discussions" and it has nothing to do about "gender equality". I have looked at the information in your "rules of conduct" very carefully before making this thread few days ago. If you think you should lock this thread when rules do not specify certain words quoted, go for it.
    {Mod Edit: Making threats is also against the rules}
    Post edited by F03hammer on
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!