criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Double XP Event

Client-side Emote Suppression.

Prev1345
Fevee
227 posts Member
I'd like to see an option in the settings to suppress emotes. Emotes still exist, other players can emote to their heart's content, but to those of use who have emote suppression on, we never actually see it happen; the character just stands there.

Replies

• Defbored
    1548 posts Member
    Just bump your original thread.
  • That's actually not too bad of an idea.
    gctn47nz145u.png

I keep changing this for whatever reason but ehh...It can stay like this I suppose.
  • Fevee
    227 posts Member
    Defbored wrote: »
    Just bump your original thread.
    You already have a thread

Link me to it and I'll be happy to.
  • Lol, what? You lost your own thread?
    Middling streamer and lover of chile relleno, PSN ID: PopeHilarius

Check out my Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/popehilarius
  • Fevee
    227 posts Member
    Lol, what? You lost your own thread?

Yep. Help me find it and I'll continue there.

For now, clientside emote suppression. Make it a thing.
  • Fevee
    227 posts Member
    Well then I'll continue the discussion here.
  • Lol, what? You lost your own thread?

I'm pretty sure the thread is in the "Forum Trash" which can't be viewed for obvious reasons.
  • The whole reason I emote is to taunt and trigger opponents haha; they need to be seen.
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • Fevee
    227 posts Member
    Implement this, NOW!

You can spam your garbage emotes all you want, I shouldn't have to hear them.
  • Fevee wrote: »
    Implement this, NOW!

I'm not trying to be glib, but usually when someone is emoted in this game they deserved it. Like using disruption, explosive shot, bubbleshield melee, etc. I haven't seen many taunts when players are being legit.
  • Fevee
    227 posts Member
    You must die alot, to hate taunts this much :D

Then I come from a viewpoint you can never hope to comprehend. This needs implementation.
  • Adi_Gallia
    372 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    -Removed- and don't let it bother you

{MOD EDIT: BAITING COMMENT REMOVED}
    Post edited by F03hammer on
  • Spiito
    1979 posts Member
    vbhssxJ.png
    My condolences.
    Again, I support this, although it isn't an option I'd personally use.
    Wknuto!
  • Seastorm
    271 posts Member
    Emotes could be great in the right hands; they are not used only for evil. I love using emotes in the Death Star II behind the glass, and I laugh everytime I see someone doing it. However, I agree that emotes, especially in Heroes vs Villains, sometimes could be a little bit annoying.

But I haven’t seen that feature in any game, and I’m not sure if it could be introduced easily. And as Dash’s third reason states, there are more general issues like bugs and glitches that are in need of the developers’ hard work and effort, and due to the fact that it affects all the players, should be resolved first.

My personal opinion in this subject is the same as @Spiito ‘s: More options are always welcome, as they introduce more customization to the game and more freedom to the player. I wouldn’t mind having that option, but I wouldn’t personally use it.
  • tommytom64
    1091 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I mean, I don't see why not, if it isn't too hard to develop. I kind of wanted this for skins, at least in the last game, maybe in this one if they go crazy with it (which they really, really should since this game makes its money off of skins now...).
  • xjippyx
    185 posts Member
    If you get the facepalm... it’s because you earned it. So enjoy it. :wink:
  • Carbonic wrote: »
    Fevee, You say you want this but I don't see any arguments on why you think it's that important. I personally rarely see any emotes being used and when I do I think it's kinda neat.

But let us see what I guess some of the potential impacts could be beside it taking development resources:
    • You are basically asking for a system where something can happen on the server but not on clients that don't choose to. I imagine some work need to be implemented as well to prevent this from being used for cheating so it's probably not that easy to implement.
    • Inconsistent gameplay experience. Suddenly friends can play the same match but not see the same things causing confusion.
    • Lower value for people who have invested time or something else in getting specific emotes; as people can now turn them off their perceived value will be less and a bunch of issues with people demanding refunds etc. could happen.
    • Hitbox mismatch: someone does an emote, someone without emotes shoots you in the head while you do it, does the hit land? Suddenly, on here, we get complaints about bad netcode and fake bug reports.

I guess that settles it.
  • I saw the best taunt, guy was standing over me emoting over my corpse then bam head shot and he dropped next to me
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    It’s no fun to use emotes if no one sees them.

I get it though it is enraging when people troll.

I love when people emote then get killed while doing it. It happens so much I don’t know why people are so intent on doing it. Like @Grim2006 says.
  • JackTHorn
    3743 posts Member
    Foodisgood wrote: »
    Lol, what? You lost your own thread?
    I'm pretty sure the thread is in the "Forum Trash" which can't be viewed for obvious reasons.
    Yeah, this topic tends to inspire the same taunting, baiting, abusive reactions from emote supporters that are banned in forum but apparently encouraged in game.

Are there more important things to do for this game? Sure. Is encouragement of 2nd-grade bullying behaviour in a supposedly respectable and family-friendly game an admirable thing? ...not so much...
  • JackTHorn
    3743 posts Member
    Dash wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    Fevee wrote: »
    Implement this, NOW!
    So... you are demanding a "safe space" from emotes... in a video game?
    He is indeed requesting that. Exactly that. :neutral:
    I keep confusing you with the other Dash who used to post here, Dash_Gaming. He was always a considerate guy who encouraged getting along with other people instead of taunting and baiting and belittling them. So I get all surprised to see you saying what you say. Then I remember, oh yeah, not the same guy. =)
  • Dash
    11645 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    JackTHorn wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    Fevee wrote: »
    Implement this, NOW!
    So... you are demanding a "safe space" from emotes... in a video game?
    He is indeed requesting that. Exactly that. :neutral:
    I keep confusing you with the other Dash who used to post here, Dash_Gaming. He was always a considerate guy who encouraged getting along with other people instead of taunting and baiting and belittling them. So I get all surprised to see you saying what you say. Then I remember, oh yeah, not the same guy. =)

I’m the same guy. I’m still the same. However, when I disagree with a post/comment/topic, I am vocal about it too. That’s what the forum debates/discussions are about. To agree or disagree, and then explaining why.
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• Highly competitive + thin skin = emote complaints

Work on solving either of the first two factors and the solution will naturally work itself out.
  • Dash
    11645 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Spiito wrote: »
    Carbonic wrote: »
    Fevee, You say you want this but I don't see any arguments on why you think it's that important. I personally rarely see any emotes being used and when I do I think it's kinda neat.

But let us see what I guess some of the potential impacts could be beside it taking development resources:
    • You are basically asking for a system where something can happen on the server but not on clients that don't choose to. I imagine some work need to be implemented as well to prevent this from being used for cheating so it's probably not that easy to implement.
    • Inconsistent gameplay experience. Suddenly friends can play the same match but not see the same things causing confusion.
    • Lower value for people who have invested time or something else in getting specific emotes; as people can now turn them off their perceived value will be less and a bunch of issues with people demanding refunds etc. could happen.
    giphy.gif
    For most people, swbf2 is recreational, and it's not very fun to get stomped on, and be insulted, even in something so simple as a video game. (Is no place safe from the personal, petty, impish, hostilities of one another? For those that face it constantly; in reality, and in virtual, I'm sure it'd be a welcome option to turn off taunts. They don't need insult on top of injury. We're not all cut from the same cloth, and some people are just a lot more delicate, either mentally or physically, sometimes both... If they make a request, so pitiful as this, how do you expect them to strongly argue back, especially after their previous attempt at speaking up about something that was important to them, was shot down repeatedly, until it was literally disposed of. I imagine they may not have the ambition to combat a great number of people, when they already have. Although, I cannot remember exactly what they said or how great they went into detail, I cannot even go back to check this an refresh my memory because trash topics are not something I have the privilege of viewing on the forums. . . But let me tell you, I know a thing or two about how draining it can be to reiterate something to a crowd of those who disagree, disapprove, and resort to censorship. )

(Swbf15 xb1) I play directly next to another player, in the exact same room. I've witnessed deaths/locations of bodies, are different client-side. (A person's body can be in a certain position or slightly different location. On my screen, a person is Tbaggin a dead body's general vicinity, but on the other person's screen, they are directly aiming for the corpses face right over top of them.) I can only talk about this as a speculation, & I don't know the full technical reasons behind anything. But from what I've seen, I doubt it would cause too much confusion. Especially if it's announced that it can be disabled in the options.
    (If that's too off point....) It doesn't seem to bother the game's functionality when a person looks through binoculars, or if another player is running no hud. There are already things in game that occur on one person's screen, and not another's, via the options/settings.
    *Randomly; a few players actually already don't bother to emote at me and just stare at my lifeless corpse for a few moments (it can be so unsettling... ) It may be that on their side, they are seeing and preforming a taunt, but for some unknown reason, it isn't displaying on my end. Until I can observe what my opponents screen looks like, I won't know for sure that this is a bug, or if people just enjoy being silent-creepers. ( .../respectful?)

Your point about (personal) value/s is interesting though, and does give me some pause for thought.

However, here on the forums if another user is offensive or less than desirable, continuously, users have the option to blind themselves to another's content by putting them on the ignore list. Xbox removed the option to avoid specific players. In swbf2, to avoid being emote-griefed (constantly, by a world of gamers who seem happy to act flippantly, without considering how the other player feels) by adding a simple OPTION, is well within reason, in my (potentially unreasonable and ignorant) opinion.

(Even though I feel that today's newer generations are too sheltered; they still have a lot of newer issues to deal with in contrast to generations of old. Plus, people who might not have made it in the distant past are now in abundance because we can save so many more people, just as we should... but with that we're a little over crowded, and so on. Honestly, if this was the past, I know I would have been killed off early on in life... But here I am. Advocating for others, because why not? At this point, half the stuff people request for this game doesn't even get added anyway, so what's the harm in humoring someone who seems down on their luck? Plus, it really doesn't seem like too big of an addition, it's probably something just like "".Emotes deactivate""" Or "".Display Emote_ blahblah off"")
    Are there more important things to do for this game? Sure. Is encouragement of 2nd-grade bullying behavior in a supposedly respectable and family-friendly game an admirable thing? ...not so much...
    Exactly.
    The responses in here, and the other thread, have had me shaking my head more than usual, but this... :heart: Perceptions like this restore my faith in humanity, just a little more.
    (Although, I can't tell if you're being serious or snide about Dash. That's our bubbly, lovable, tolerant, and accepting Dash. They got a name change. To be fair, a person is not so one dimensional to be a shinning pillar of perfection, light, and justice all the time. We all have our guilty pleasures and apparently, it seems as though, Dash has no guilt over desecrating and dishonoring their fallen enemies in simulated combat. <w<' That is an option they have, and it's unfortunate that players like Fevee have no options to be blind to such actions, beyond depriving themselves of the game entirely.)

Very well written. You indeed have good perception on the discussion and context of the topic at hand. As well as perception of all involved in the discussion. +1 dude. As usual you are well represented by your words and calm demeanor.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• HansTheBest
    1120 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Unnecessary. The only emote that is even annoying is the boo-hoo one. Frankly, I'd like to see all of the others get used more. When I get killed and receive the boo-hoo emote, I have a flash of anger and then I get over it. Ultimately, my video game prowess does not matter.

I'd much rather have emotes then teabagging. The community is actually remarkably well behaved in-game.
  • Spiito
    1979 posts Member
    Very well written. You indeed have good perception on the discussion and context of the topic at hand. As well as perception of all involved in the discussion. +1 dude. As usual you are well represented by your words and calm demeanor.
    Thanks, Dash.

Wknuto!
  • Dash
    11645 posts Member
    Thanks, Dash.

That clip is awesome and funny lol.

rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• Carbonic
    182 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    Thanks for putting it into context @Spiito - I was genuinely asking because I wanted to understand where you were coming from. I hope my input helped to see the other side of the coin on why it might not be that easily implemented, it was not meant as a hard no of any kind (I don't have that power, I just moderate).
    I'm sorry if you feel like that over peoples emotes.
  • bfloo
    15945 posts Member
    Please Dice, please bring back the laugh emote.

The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

The one where they slap their knees while laughing? If so I want that one back as well. Also, the one where they do that slow sarcastic slap haha, they're the two I want back.
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • Relmets
    2459 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

Not this time with sassy hip action
    *necessary*
    [+3748 posts]
  • bfloo
    15945 posts Member

The one where they slap their knees while laughing? If so I want that one back as well. Also, the one where they do that slow sarcastic slap haha, they're the two I want back.

The troll is strong with you....

#trollslivesmatter

We need the bo rifle back while we are at it B)
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Spiito wrote: »

giphy.gif
    For most people, swbf2 is recreational, and it's not very fun to get stomped on, and be insulted, even in something so simple as a video game. (Is no place safe from the personal, petty, impish, hostilities of one another? For those that face it constantly; in reality, and in virtual, I'm sure it'd be a welcome option to turn off taunts. They don't need insult on top of injury. We're not all cut from the same cloth, and some people are just a lot more delicate, either mentally or physically, sometimes both... If they make a request, so pitiful as this, how do you expect them to strongly argue back, especially after their previous attempt at speaking up about something that was important to them, was shot down repeatedly, until it was literally disposed of. I imagine they may not have the ambition to combat a great number of people, when they already have. Although, I cannot remember exactly what they said or how great they went into detail, I cannot even go back to check this an refresh my memory because trash topics are not something I have the privilege of viewing on the forums. . . But let me tell you, I know a thing or two about how draining it can be to reiterate something to a crowd of those who disagree, disapprove, and resort to censorship. )

(Swbf15 xb1) I play directly next to another player, in the exact same room. I've witnessed deaths/locations of bodies, are different client-side. (A person's body can be in a certain position or slightly different location. On my screen, a person is Tbaggin a dead body's general vicinity, but on the other person's screen, they are directly aiming for the corpses face right over top of them.) I can only talk about this as a speculation, & I don't know the full technical reasons behind anything. But from what I've seen, I doubt it would cause too much confusion. Especially if it's announced that it can be disabled in the options.
    (If that's too off point....) It doesn't seem to bother the game's functionality when a person looks through binoculars, or if another player is running no hud. There are already things in game that occur on one person's screen, and not another's, via the options/settings.
    *Randomly; a few players actually already don't bother to emote at me and just stare at my lifeless corpse for a few moments (it can be so unsettling... ) It may be that on their side, they are seeing and preforming a taunt, but for some unknown reason, it isn't displaying on my end. Until I can observe what my opponents screen looks like, I won't know for sure that this is a bug, or if people just enjoy being silent-creepers. ( .../respectful?)

Your point about (personal) value/s is interesting though, and does give me some pause for thought.

However, here on the forums if another user is offensive or less than desirable, continuously, users have the option to blind themselves to another's content by putting them on the ignore list. Xbox removed the option to avoid specific players. In swbf2, to avoid being emote-griefed (constantly, by a world of gamers who seem happy to act flippantly, without considering how the other player feels) by adding a simple OPTION, is well within reason, in my (potentially unreasonable and ignorant) opinion.

(Even though I feel that today's newer generations are too sheltered; they still have a lot of newer issues to deal with in contrast to generations of old. Plus, people who might not have made it in the distant past are now in abundance because we can save so many more people, just as we should... but with that we're a little over crowded, and so on. Honestly, if this was the past, I know I would have been killed off early on in life... But here I am. Advocating for others, because why not? At this point, half the stuff people request for this game doesn't even get added anyway, so what's the harm in humoring someone who seems down on their luck? Plus, it really doesn't seem like too big of an addition, it's probably something just like "".Emotes deactivate""" Or "".Display Emote_ blahblah off"")
    Are there more important things to do for this game? Sure. Is encouragement of 2nd-grade bullying behavior in a supposedly respectable and family-friendly game an admirable thing? ...not so much...
    Exactly.
    The responses in here, and in it's original, have had me shaking my head more than usual, but this... :heart: Perceptions like this restore my faith in humanity, just a little more.
    (Although, I can't tell if you're being serious or snide about Dash. That's our bubbly, lovable, tolerant, and accepting Dash. They got a name change. To be fair, a person is not so one dimensional to be a shinning pillar of perfection, light, and justice all the time. We all have our guilty pleasures and apparently, it seems as though, Dash has no guilt over desecrating and dishonoring their fallen enemies in simulated combat. <w<' That is an option they have, and it's unfortunate that players like Fevee have no options to be blind to such actions, beyond depriving themselves of the game entirely.)
    Wow... Lol no more emotes coming from me
  • Relmets wrote: »

Not this time with sassy hip action
    *necessary*

These two were my favs. Not sure Id pay money for them, but I would do whatever ridiculous challenges are required to get them. Knee slap got the hate mail flowing, ‘not this time’ was always funny to see done back to me :D

Taunting, gloating and showboating exists in almost every form of competition to some degree. Don’t like it? I hear there’s robust offline content in this game. If they created the option to block emotes, those emoters will just turn to t-bagging.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • bfloo wrote: »

#trollslivesmatter

? But I wasn't trolling.
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • Relmets
    2459 posts Member

#trollslivesmatter

? But I wasn't trolling.

he is referring to your ability to be an obnoxious annoyance to other players in the star game :flushed:
    [+3748 posts]
  • Relmets wrote: »

#trollslivesmatter

? But I wasn't trolling.

he is referring to your ability to be an obnoxious annoyance to other players in the star game :flushed:

It's lonely at the top.
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • Spiito
    1979 posts Member
    giphy.gif
    Thanks for putting it into context @Spiito - I was genuinely asking because I wanted to understand where you were coming from.
    Hmm, well the tunny thing is, I don't remember seeing a question mark in your post.
    Even more amusing is that I had no idea you were apparently addressing me, previously.
    I hope my input helped to see the other side of the coin on why it might not be that easily implemented, it was not meant as a hard no of any kind (I don't have that power, I just moderate).
    Yes, your post did present some things to consider. (That point about an option devaluing the game, for instance.)
    It was not perceived as a hard no, not from me. I'm sure you are mentioning that last fact as more of a thing for observers in general, but I'm aware that your responsibilities here are limited.
    I'm sorry if you feel like that over peoples emotes.
    Not sure which part you are referring to & I kind of feel like there is a misunderstanding here.
    I personally enjoy emotes. As I said, originally, options are pleasant things in life.
    I would not use the option to disable emotes, but I recognize that others have an issue with emotes, and if it's causing them some sort of discomfort or dissatisfaction, an option to block emotes would be great for them to have.
    Wknuto!
  • Relmets
    2459 posts Member
    and if it's causing them some sort of discomfort or dissatisfaction, an option to block emotes would be great for them to have.

If it's upsetting them to the point where they think a new feature needs to be implemented to protect them from it, then emotes are the least of their problems
    [+3748 posts]
  • Spiito
    1979 posts Member
    Relmets wrote: »
    and if it's causing them some sort of discomfort or dissatisfaction, an option to block emotes would be great for them to have.

If it's upsetting them to the point where they think a new feature needs to be implemented to protect them from it, then emotes are the least of their problems

Sure. Doesn't change the fact that they need an outlet too.
    Wknuto!
This discussion has been closed.