criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

One thing I’ll NEVER forgive The Last Jedi for EVER

Saberscar223
1244 posts Member
edited July 2018
So Luke, the same guy who wouldn’t kill Darth Vader who killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people and rebels. The same guy who even risked his own life to save what little Good was left in Vader was about to kill his nephew, His Sisters little boy in his sleep because he sensed a little something. That alone makes me hate the Last Jedi. They ruined the character of Luke

I don’t even think Vader would instantly go for a kill like that. Imagine if Vader killed Luke when Luke said I won’t turn the first time? Luke was about to kill a child. His sisters son. Luke was downright evil.
"You Don't Know the Power of the Dark Side"
vader.gif
Post edited by Saberscar223 on

Replies

• That they did...that they did.
  • Luke almost pulled a Palpatine right there.
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • Saberscar223
    1244 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I
    Luke almost pulled a Palpatine right there.

HECK I think even the Emperor would continue to try and turn the boy rather than go straight to kill him.
    "You Don't Know the Power of the Dark Side"
    vader.gif
  • Just can't believe they killed off Tallie so quickly #minx
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • To me, the new trilogy isn’t canon.

It’s just a bad dream

I felt this way about the PT until a few years ago. Luke Skywalker wouldn’t give up hope on you, and neither will I.
    In 1977, a single shot rang out at the Cantina.... No first, no second. Han shot - end of statement.

PSN: Han_Spinel
    Youtube: Han Spinel
    Twitter: @Han_Spinel
    The Unofficial Star Wars Battlefront Campaign Companion
  • You can't Polish a *****.
  • The Luke who redeemed his father was in his early twenties. This Luke is thirty years older and a lot has happened since then.

The emotions experienced are heightened - here is someone who can sense things most other people can't, has been involved in a conflict which saw a planet destroyed and had to live with the fact his father was one of the main instruments of all the evil in the galaxy. To think that everything you worked so hard to save could be destroyed by the madness of his apprentice, that could be a killer.

I am 46 years old and was 5 when Star Wars - A New Hope came out here in cinemas in the UK. I saw that film, sadly missed Empire ( and saw it in my teens ) and saw Return of the Jedi at the cinema when that came out. I feel like I am the perfect demographic for the 'ideal Star Wars' childhood which people talk about being destroyed. The prequels did just that for me but the new films have restored my faith in the franchise.

The first of the new films took us back into familiar territory before the second really started to get stuck into trying to tell a new story. Would I have liked more of Han, Luke and Leia? Sure. It was a unique opportunity. Obi-Wan in the original film had to tell the bits of his backstory we got to know whereas here we have a wise old jedi ( potentially ) in Luke whose story we don't need to be told because we've seen it, practically lived it. We can see the development and had an opportunity to see such a character in action without his backstory being a mystery.

All that said, I can also see why the directors/writers/producers of the new films would like to take us in a completely new direction. They've given us the swan song we never thought we'd see. There is a sadness in the fact Luke and Han didn't meet up one last time. Even sadder is the reality that Leia cannot be a part going forwards because of the terrible loss of the actress who played her. The Star Wars universe will forever be filled with 'what ifs' and 'imagine ifs' but then, that is life. I defy anyone of my generation who saw the originals to watch the scene where Han and Leia see each other again for the first time in so long and not feel totally nostalgic. We've had more than we might have otherwise had, now let the new people do their thing and create their own legacy and enjoy that too.
  • But he didn't actually go through with it, he changed his mind as it was wrong. So it's still in character. Kylo just happened to wake up and not realise he'd stopped
  • Take a look at this video, I really think it helps to explain and clarify the character arch of Luke.

It’s just a bad dream

this
  • Would Rose have attempted to suicide run Admiral M̶a̶n̶s̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ Holdo from her sacrifice, if she had the chance?
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    In my opinion, the ST isn't canon.
    And the horribly designed ST maps in this game aren't helping.

I cant wait for Ivan Ortegas fan edit of TLJ, he actually seems like more of a star wars fan than Rian Johnson.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

It’s just a bad dream

Excuse my salt, but that wasn’t really my whole opinion.
    I’m going to flat out tell you what I liked about the new trilogy and what I didn’t, so you don’t think I’m a hater.

-I LOVED the cinematography (or whatever you call it) it just looks so good and feels like Star Wars.

- I LOVED John freakin Williams for obvious reasons.

-I loved the planet Crait and Starkiller base

-I loved the AT-M6’s, and just how the FO looks generally.

-I LOVED
    how Kylo choked Hux to prove he is the descendent of vader

-didn’t like the story.

That’s it.
    "In My Book, Experience outranks Everything"
    #cartoonsarecanontoo
    #theclonewarssaved
    PSN: HyperGamerMk2
    YT: GiantSlayer YT
    Check out all my concepts Here
    pqhrojr3gg47.jpg
  • Elusive_DJ wrote: »

I cant wait for Ivan Ortegas fan edit of TLJ, he actually seems like more of a star wars fan than Rian Johnson.

Ehh, I like Crait tho.

But jakku, Starkiller base and takodana are trash.

Ivan Ortega’s? Who’s that?
    "In My Book, Experience outranks Everything"
    #cartoonsarecanontoo
    #theclonewarssaved
    PSN: HyperGamerMk2
    YT: GiantSlayer YT
    Check out all my concepts Here
    pqhrojr3gg47.jpg
  • They didn't ruin him, not every character needs to be the hero. He's aged and he thinks differently now. Could he have been better? Yes, but he wasn't that bad. The one thing I will never forgive the last Jedi for is Leia poppins. If an untrained person in the force can fly around in space for 30 seconds and somehow survive without running out of breath or being frozen to death in a split second, how come actual Jedi and with can't fly? Just ridiculous.
    "Never tell me the odds!"
  • I
    Luke almost pulled a Palpatine right there.

HECK I think even the Emperor would continue to try and turn the boy rather than go straight to kill him.

Luke darker than Palpatine. It's canon now.
  • I totally agree, even for Luke to consider to murder a boy, who at that time was only drawn to Darkside, not even fully on the path is totally against his Character.
    On top it's not any random child, but the Son of his Twin sister and his best friend, i think the single player missions you play as Luke portrait his character way better then the Last Jedi.
  • ...like another poster said: the movie should have been called 'Bad Dreams in a Galaxy Far Away'
    this post makes me angry all over again (where is the epic fight between Supreme Leader Snoke & Grand Master Skywalker; where is the training that teaches Rey to control the force and fear; where did Leia learn to cheat death; why not kill Kylo - he's a worthless child as Snoke said?)
    I'll stop the rant - but the fury remains deep....
  • Snoke
    29 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    MONEYPYR0 wrote: »
    But Luke, along with Kylo, are easily the best written characters in the new trilogy, and quite frankly, probably the most well written characters in all of the movies.

No, Kylo is by far the most well written character in the new trilogy. Even more so, he is the ONLY well written character in the new trilogy. There is a complex depth to his character that none of the others have. Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose, etc are all incredibly generic and one-dimensional.

To OP, I didnt feel that at all. I never felt at any point that Luke was out of character. As someone else mentioned, Luke has always had strong emotions. When Vader just mentioned that Luke had a sister that he could turn, Luke freaked out, and overpowered Vader, cutting off his hand. If Luke really saw Kylo destroying everyone and everything he loved, I think that stopping that evil before it happened would be a good idea. I mean, Kylo DID kill Han, so Lule WAS correct. Besides, it was a "fleeting moment" that Luke had that feeling. You can't tell me you've never had a moment where you want to do something bad, but snapped out of it. Besides, Skywalkers have ALWAYS had strong emotions, and acted on them. And it isnt like Luke hasn't madebad decisions before. Remember Empire? Luke disregards Yoda, and leaves to go fight Vader, and try to save his friends.

Don't go out of order. One of the main developments of Luke in the OT was to show his rise over the mistakes his father had made. Sure, Skywalkers have strong emotions, but that was where Luke was supposed to differ from his father. Anakin/Vader allowed his emotions to consume and control him. In ESB, Luke was the same way. He was indeed careless and eager, but that is only because he hadn't received proper training, was ignorant of the force, and lacked the wisdom Obi-Wan and Yoda held. We clearly see a radical shift in Luke from ESB to ROTJ and that is because he had grown substantially from his masters' teachings.

And in ROTJ, the scene that every fan of TLJ desperately attempt to point to as proof of a parallel between TLJ Luke and OT Luke is when Luke gives in to his anger and overwhelms Vader. This is absolutely terrible, terrible evidence to justify Luke's change in TLJ.

Imagine having trained for the past 5-10 years in seclusion and taking part in the occasional fight against the Empire, which was nothing more than some puny stormtroopers. Sure, you go against a Dark Lord of the Sith but you are completely spared, both physically and mentally, because he is your father, and wishes no true harm upon you. There is nothing to fear in any of that in the slightest. But then, all of a sudden, you are thrown in a room with the most evil guy in the entire galaxy. The guy responsible for the rise of the Empire, the guy responsible for the extinction of the Jedi, the guy who was able to sway your own father, the Chosen One. That's going 1-100 rather abruptly. For anyone else, they would have been swayed undoubtedly. And sure, Luke gave in to the dark side for but a few seconds, yet he still managed to resist the Emperor, may I repeat: the most evil guy in the galaxy. And that is his development: He rises above his father and did not allow Vader's mistakes to be his own. He managed to control his emotions even against the most manipulative and dark character in all of Star Wars.

So I would imagine that after all of that development, Luke would not only be incredibly optimistic, but would have complete control over his emotions and find ways to rectify any problems or mistakes that he faced. Instead, in TLJ, his character completely backpedals as if he underwent zero character development in the OT and allows his emotions to get the best of him. No, it was not a quick reaction- he had the thought of ending Ben Solo's life, reached for his saber, unsheathed it and turned it on, ready to strike. After the OT, even the notion that Luke would have such a thought is almost impossible to believe. But the fact that he actually acted out on them is even more ridiculous. This is lazy writing, pure and simple. But still, to make matters worse, he says "f*** it" and ups and goes away, leaving his best friend and sister to fend for themselves the monster he created. Even when he learns of Han's death, and Chewie and R2D2 plead for him to return, he refuses. No, that isn't character development. That is a pure and explicit disregard of the OT, a complete backpedaling of personality to a character well developed, and bad writing.

To me, you arent a real fan, just someone who likes to complain.

Right, just because someone has a contrasting opinion and is unwilling to be a Disney shill, you bash them for it. To me, you yield low expectations and love garbage.

Edited for langauge. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
    Supreme Leader Snoke
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    Ehh, I like Crait tho.
    But jakku, Starkiller base and takodana are trash.

I hate every single ST map in this game, I cannot even begin to comprehend my hatred for Crait and Jakku.

Starkiller Base may actually be the worst one, but I'm convinced that they're all unsalvageable pieces of garbage.

There is NOTHING that can save these maps from being picked out of the trash can.
    Can't believe dev time was put into those.

On Starkiller you just have speeders running over & insta-killing other players, which is just absolutely god awful.
    And on top of that the spawn trapping & linear map design on the 2nd & 3rd phases don't help at all with that.

Jakku is just the pure definition of pain & suffering clobbered into one big mess of a design.
    Everything about it is terrible.

I think Tacodana is actually quite nice, up until the 2nd and 3rd phases.
    I lack the patience to even put my rage into words.

Lastly, get rid of the resistance announcer.
    I don't care what they have to do to get her out of the game, she is absolutely terrible. Everything about her is abysmal.
    Don't ever let her voice be heard in this game ever again, wipe all traces of her existence.
    And replace her with an actual professional military voice actor that acts like he / she even cares in the slightest about the battle at hand.

Each time I play, I'm greeted with this terrible resistance announcer. God save us.

/Rant over.

Ivan Ortega’s? Who’s that?

All I know really is that he's a guy who tries to fix movies, he's currently working on a fan edit of TLJ.

He takes in a lot of fan feedback so he can make that movie into the one I and many others wished we saw.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

But we got rose instead!

In all fairness if she did last longer rian Johnson would have ruined her too.

Ironic that the two most interesting characters he introduced (Paige and tallie) died so quick.
  • So Luke, the same guy who wouldn’t kill Darth Vader who killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people and rebels. The same guy who even risked his own life to save what little Good was left in Vader was about to kill his nephew, His Sisters little boy in his sleep because he sensed a little something. That alone makes me hate the Last Jedi. They ruined the character of Luke

I don’t even think Vader would instantly go for a kill like that. Imagine if Vader killed Luke when Luke said I won’t turn the first time? Luke was about to kill a child. His sisters son. Luke was downright evil.

I know! And Luke's murderous face when he was about to "kill" Kylo was ridiculous. Granted it was from kylos perspective but still...

The worst thing about Luke in TLJ wasn't that rian Johnson ruined him it was that he needlessly killed him so that no one else could fix him. The idea of luke running off or hiding like he was scared was stupid. So many other directions they could have gone in. The fact rian Johnson is on disneys payroll for not one but THREE more Star Wars movies doesn't bode well for my hope for the future.
  • They didn't ruin him, not every character needs to be the hero. He's aged and he thinks differently now. Could he have been better? Yes, but he wasn't that bad. The one thing I will never forgive the last Jedi for is Leia poppins. If an untrained person in the force can fly around in space for 30 seconds and somehow survive without running out of breath or being frozen to death in a split second, how come actual Jedi and with can't fly? Just ridiculous.

You are arguing against mark hamill, the guy who played him all his life and hated every single decision they made about his character in the new movies.
  • JStenholt97
    44 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Didn’t he just light up his lighsaber in the foreshadowing of what kylo would become? He was not gonna do it. But it was to late when kylo woke up.

I have some problems with last jedi, but this is really not one of them...

But we got rose instead!

In all fairness if she did last longer rian Johnson would have ruined her too.

Ironic that the two most interesting characters he introduced (Paige and tallie) died so quick.

Tallie interesting? Because shes in battlefront 2? lol
  • Lonnisity
    1965 posts Member
    Just can't believe they killed off Tallie so quickly #minx

This
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • I get both sides of this. I’m an admitted Star Wars apologist, though. I cringed when Rey gave Luke his saber and he threw it over his shoulder. I’ve been a Luke fan since I was five years old and saw Empire in the theaters (probably too young to see that then).

I wanted Luke to be one of the strongest Jedi ever in TLJ, and to some extent he was. In current canon, isn’t Luke the only one who has used the force to project himself? If I’m wrong please let me know. And he “died” in the best manner possible. I was fairly confident that Han, Luke, and Leia were going to die in these movies, so it’s a good ending (in my opinion) for Luke.
  • Relmets
    2496 posts Member
    The real reason to hate TLJ is that Phasma was thrown to the curb AGAIN
    3309f50cd4b04f79506e73ff18322021.gif
    [+3748 posts]
  • Imo they absolutely nailed Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi, and that is the major reason I consider it one of the best Star Wars films made, second only to ESB. And the more I watch it, the more I like it. The Skywalker blood. So powerful, but so hard to tame. Love it.
    Snoke wrote: »
    Right, just because someone has a contrasting opinion and is unwilling to be a Disney shill, you bash them for it. To me, you yield low expectations and love garbage.

You’re doing the exact same thing, guy... just because someone has a contrasting opinion they are a ”Disney shill” (LOL) and love garbage. Get over yourself.

• Snoke
    29 posts Member
    You’re doing the exact same thing, guy... just because someone has a contrasting opinion they are a ”Disney shill” (LOL) and love garbage. Get over yourself.

...That was the point. Normally I'd never use such an argument. To claim someone is not a true Star Wars fan because they didn't like the movie or that they are a Disney shill because they did is, I believe, a stupid thing to say. It was simply done to give him a taste of his own medicine and explicitly show the stupidity of an argument like that.
    Supreme Leader Snoke
  • Snoke wrote: »

...That was the point. Normally I'd never use such an argument. To claim someone is not a true Star Wars fan because they didn't like the movie or that they are a Disney shill because they did is, I believe, a **** thing to say. It was simply done to give him a taste of his own medicine and explicitly show the **** of an argument like that.

Right, gotcha. My bad.
  • Relmets wrote: »

oh, don't get me started with Phasma. Captain of the Guard and a threat to none. Was she suppose to show up? They had to give her a cigarette lighter in this game to make up for the (bleep, bleep).
    I thought it was a better fight when Finn took on the Stormtrooper with Palp's missing baton? The movie made me absolutely SW Fan Furious - from the parking lot - straight to the Internet to blast that garbage back to Jakku.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    Elusive_DJ wrote: »

Where can I watch this fan edit when it’s released? YouTube?

@Elusive_DJ
  • Relmets
    2496 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    VaperEyes wrote: »
    Relmets wrote: »

oh, don't get me started with Phasma. Captain of the Guard and a threat to none. Was she suppose to show up? They had to give her a cigarette lighter in this game to make up for the (bleep, bleep).
    I thought it was a better fight when Finn took on the Stormtrooper with Palp's missing baton? The movie made me absolutely SW Fan Furious - from the parking lot - straight to the Internet to blast that garbage back to Jakku.

They opted for less Phasma and more fathier chase
    truly what we wanted
    [+3748 posts]
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Luke’s portrayal single handily ruined TLJ for me. There were other parts and characters I didn’t like in the film as well but I could’ve overlooked them and still enjoyed the movie had Luke’s portrayal been different.
    I still haven’t bought TLJ on blu ray and just got around to watching it again last night on Netflix. Fast forwarded through a lot of it. All in all it took me about 40 minutes to watch since I couldn’t bare most of the movie other than the snoke/throne room scenes and ending scenes.
    Post edited by Cad_Bane on
  • Jinda_Lo wrote: »
    I defy anyone of my generation who saw the originals to watch the scene where Han and Leia see each other again for the first time in so long and not feel totally nostalgic. We've had more than we might have otherwise had, now let the new people do their thing and create their own legacy and enjoy that too.

Like you I grew up in the eighties and absolutely loved Star Wars as a kid. For me the reunion of Luke and Yoda was the scene that really got to me. ”Skywalker, still looking to the horizon”... Wow. ESB is still my favourite SW film, but that one is my new favourite SW scene. I had such high hopes for Luke’s return, and they delivered big time.
  • Whodunnit
    5631 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    Luke’s portrayal single handily ruined TLJ for me. There were other parts and characters I didn’t like in the film as well but I could’ve overlooked them and still enjoyed the movie had Luke’s portrayal been different.
    I still haven’t bought TLJ on blu ray and just got around to watching it again last night on Netflix. Fast forwarded through a lot of it. All in all it took me about 40 minutes to watch since I couldn’t bare most of the movie other than the snoke/throne room scenes and ending scenes.

Same here tbh. And I completely agree with OP.
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • EA_Cian
    1225 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Folks, let's keep it civil and not make personal attacks at folks who liked or didn't like TLJ. If this kinda stuff continues the thread'll be closed, end of story.
  • So Luke, the same guy who wouldn’t kill Darth Vader who killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people and rebels. The same guy who even risked his own life to save what little Good was left in Vader was about to kill his nephew, His Sisters little boy in his sleep because he sensed a little something. That alone makes me hate the Last Jedi. They ruined the character of Luke

well, they had to have a plot device to make luke and kylo enemies and result in him being exiled to fit with the previous plot of TFA...