criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

The lag has really gotten out of control

So I decided to jump back into this game after several weeks off to grind some credits, and the last time I played it the game ran smoothly as it always had with no lag at all. Today, however, the game is ridiculously laggy. My player feels like they're running through mud on a treadmill that intermittently starts moving backwards, there's at least a 5 second gap between pressing an ability button and the ability actually doing anything, and then there's times when the game just freezes altogether.
As I stated before, I've never had any problems with lag in this or any game so my assumption is that something is wrong with the game, not my connection. That being the case, how ludicrous is it that a triple A game such as this can be so terribly broken. I'll try again tomorrow to see if it's any better, but if not, then I guess I'll just wait for the update and hope that fixes it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Concepts
Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu

Replies

• Devlin21
    8325 posts Member
    Usually happens really bad before a patch comes out or they are tinkering with something for me ive noticed.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• BoothStick
    625 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    I agree the lag is getting worse...
    However, the netcoding is almost laughable. I mean yeah sure getting killed around cover/corners is frustrating, but I've gotten to the point where I've benefited from it and feel like it's unfair. Yavin IV, Naboo, Starkiller Base, Jakku, and Death Star II I've gotten kills where I noticed and clear as day:
    "Yeah, I shouldn't have gotten that kill"
  • Usually happens really bad before a patch comes out or they are tinkering with something for me ive noticed.
    Saw you on Endor GA today killing my teammates but unfortunately I was dealing with the lagging all day again. Horrible rubberbanding, freezing and general visual glitches.
    #StarWars-y
  • Devlin21
    8325 posts Member
    Usually happens really bad before a patch comes out or they are tinkering with something for me ive noticed.
    Saw you on Endor GA today killing my teammates but unfortunately I was dealing with the lagging all day again. Horrible rubberbanding, freezing and general visual glitches.

Lag stopped me three times and got me killed as luke. Quit the game and went to nfs after that.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Lag is real bad today. Was ok day before yesterday.
  • I'm glad it's not just me. I checked my internet and everything was fine. I then went to play other online games, got flawless connections and performance, so I had to conclude that the servers needed to be de-loused or something....
  • Just got booted from GA on SKB where I was on a nice kill streak with the A-wing. What is going on with these servers? At least I can get into the game and play a few rounds before the servers puke but some people can't play at all. Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't recall having these problems of wrong ping locations from SWBF 15. I mean the lag got pretty bad at times in SWBF 15 but this just sucks.
    #StarWars-y
  • why is it this bad for every single EA online game? why?

My PS4 tells me that I have 5ms ping in Germany, great I am in Luxembourg, so shoud be running fine right? No! Its rubberbands, shots not registering, etc... for EVERY EA online game! I have optical fiber, no packet loss, nothing wrong on MY side.

is it that hard to fix lag in 2018?
  • Alex64
    7468 posts Member
    Server maintenance means money, is there no more money to support this?
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.
  • Have you tried the missions?
  • Tonight ruined by terrible lag for me. Running in place is bad but flying a starfighter is impossible when ships are jumping back and forth and debris appears out of nowhere.

I can wait for new content but I can't waste my time being handicapped like this.

This problem has persisted throughout my experience with this game and is becoming more and more of a reason not to play.
  • So any fix for this? It this part of the ping issue they said they were going to fix by the end of the month???

What the hell???

That's it no more DICE games for me.
  • This has been normal behavior for a DICE game going back to Battlefield IV. The only real fix for the behavior is to get rid of Frostbite and try something new. DICE engine is absolutely horrible when players have different latency from each other. This is well known and documented.
    No improvements since Battlefield IV.

I gave up on that game after 8 months hoping for improvement. Had a match on my favorite map, Zavod 311 or something like that. Rubber banding started, I shot a guy off of some containers. Game confirmed the kill and everything. As his body is falling, the dead body shoots at me and kills me with one bullet. That was it.
    Any Frostbite engine game is going to have all of the same problems everybody is experiencing now.

Bad hit detection, being shot around corners or through cover, rubber banding, etc. These are staples you get with DICE.
  • BluDude
    286 posts Member
    I played GA yesterday, and while the lag wasn't terrible, it was still way way worse then it should be. Got me killed a few times. I quit and played HvV at one point, and it ran mostly fine. I'm wondering if it's just bigger modes like GA?

It also seems to me that sometimes it varies from lobby to lobby, but that might not be true, just what it seems like sometimes.
  • "This is well known and documented."

Out of interest where is it documented rather than speculated?

PS I do understand what you mean as Like many I have experienced it. It would be just a part of the engine so no need to drop Frostbite entirely
  • Go to the old BF4 forums. There were many many community tests run and results posted as DICE started out blaming the players and gave real pushback to the complaints. I don't have any links handy right now. If I find some I will post them.

It was an interesting time...
  • So far no lag today???
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    Nope, its the usual nonsense...
    Was tempted to play arcade but remembered it was only 10v10 TDM on the tiny maps...

I suspect they don't want to upgrade arcade mode as it might well kill off MP considering the state it is in :smirk:
  • bfloo
    15531 posts Member
    LeftTurnus wrote: »
    This has been normal behavior for a DICE game going back to Battlefield IV. The only real fix for the behavior is to get rid of Frostbite and try something new. DICE engine is absolutely horrible when players have different latency from each other. This is well known and documented.
    No improvements since Battlefield IV.

I gave up on that game after 8 months hoping for improvement. Had a match on my favorite map, Zavod 311 or something like that. Rubber banding started, I shot a guy off of some containers. Game confirmed the kill and everything. As his body is falling, the dead body shoots at me and kills me with one bullet. That was it.
    Any Frostbite engine game is going to have all of the same problems everybody is experiencing now.

Bad hit detection, being shot around corners or through cover, rubber banding, etc. These are staples you get with DICE.

frostbite does seem to run the worst. I've noticed I only have issues with getting stuck on the terrain that wouldn't even slow down a toddler, in 3 games on frostbite now.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png