criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Captain Phasma's Staff

The stun effect should have never been taken off of Phasma's staff. Without it, the staff is useless. The other day I caught Finn in my Sentry Droid and I ran up to him and smacked him with the staff, but he broke the combo by simple using a melee on me. I would have been better off to have just shot him and forgot about the staff all together, and that is not how it should be concerning a hero's ability.

Replies

• Sejanus_4
    48 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    A player who actually made use of the Staff Strikes ability made it onto a Top 5 Battlefront Plays video.
    If successfully using a Hero's ability places that player on a Top 5 Plays video then the ability needs work. Please give the ability back its stun effect.
    Post edited by Sejanus_4 on
  • Clone201
    3621 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    A stun though, as long as it doesn't knockback enemies to far for follow up hits.

I'd also like the damage back to 150 where it was before to one-hit most unbuffed troopers, or maybe even 200, I don't know. Also, I think there needs to be a feature where if Phasma is using the ability, she cannot be staggered which would thus cancel it out and not work or otherwise just increase swing speed. This would put her in better place against melee and lightsabers.

Her Staff ability is no better than a basic lightsaber attack used by Maul, Rey, Vader, Luke (excluding abilities), etc, and it should be (with only small trade-offs of cooldown and maybe swing speed) because it has a cooldown, whereas basic attacks are not.

That bad ability, combined with her terrible, low DPS weapon and another terrible, situation ability (which only shines in HvV by the way) makes Phasma not worth playing in my opinion, over other villains.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • It needs a damage increase to 150 (landos sharpshot can insta kill multiple heavys from miles away). It also needs its stun effect back for strike. How can they buff it three times and not get it right???
  • In my opinion if they just sped up the animation and made it lunge forward like a saber user's strikes, it would be perfectly fine. The problem is that she barely moves when she uses it and the end of the melee animation leaves her completely open to anyone that knows how to dodge roll. The fact that the Staff Strikes is only usable on stunned enemies isn't a good sign.

Also, her droid's stun needs to be nerfed to either trigger less often, have a shorter duration, or at least have a hero limit cap of how many people it can stun at one time (maybe 2 at most).
  • CrazyAce wrote: »
    In my opinion if they just sped up the animation and made it lunge forward like a saber user's strikes, it would be perfectly fine. The problem is that she barely moves when she uses it and the end of the melee animation leaves her completely open to anyone that knows how to dodge roll. The fact that the Staff Strikes is only usable on stunned enemies isn't a good sign.

Also, her droid's stun needs to be nerfed to either trigger less often, have a shorter duration, or at least have a hero limit cap of how many people it can stun at one time (maybe 2 at most).

Absolutely not. The droid is literally her only saving grace and nerfing it just further makes her useless. Her blaster is incredibly underpowered as is.

I'm not sure why DICE stupidly thought to take away the knockback of her staff strikes. It made her incredibly worse than she was at launch.
  • Clone201
    3621 posts Member
    edited August 2018

Absolutely not. The droid is literally her only saving grace and nerfing it just further makes her useless. Her blaster is incredibly underpowered as is.

And Sentry Droid doesn't even stun heroes for that long - it's like only for half a second. I agree, she's a defensive hero.

I'm not sure why DICE **** thought to take away the knockback of her staff strikes. It made her incredibly worse than she was at launch.

Yep... All it took was reducing the damage and removing a stun effect (while also not addressing the fact she is easily staggered whilst using Staff) ruined the point of buffing it in the first place.
  • Devlin21
    8308 posts Member
    Her blaster does 13 damage a shot lol.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• killua
    193 posts Member

I didn't realise her blaster was this pathetic wow.

• The whole character is pathetic. She has all of 5 minutes of screen time in the movies too. Give me Greedo, or Sidious, or Grievous, or Jango, or Gov. Tuck, or something. Any other character would be better, I'd even take Jabba.
  • Clone201
    3621 posts Member
    killua wrote: »

I didn't realise her blaster was this pathetic wow.

It has the slowest time to kill of all hero and enforcer blasters in the game at almost ranges.
  • She's garbage. Slow running, bad jumping, staff sucks, gun sucks, perks suck.
  • killua
    193 posts Member
    She's garbage. Slow running, bad jumping, staff sucks, gun sucks, perks suck.

I think phasma is fantastic at holding choke points or covering flanking routes, only due to her stun droid though. Everything else about her is rubbish
  • You just have to know how to use her.....that is all. She is actually pretty decent.
  • Clone201
    3621 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    You just have to know how to use her.....that is all. She is actually pretty decent.

Decent, maybe, but really there is zero point to playing her over the other villains (GA especially). So why would you chose Phasma in the first place?
  • Agreed that her staff strike needs to be improved. It's almost a death sentence when you try it out even on a stunned enemy.
  • The whole character is pathetic. She has all of 5 minutes of screen time in the movies too. Give me Greedo, or Sidious, or Grievous, or Jango, or Gov. Tuck, or something. Any other character would be better, I'd even take Jabba.

And how much screen time did Greedo have in the movie? ;)
    Current Topics:
    Staff Strike Guide
    An Ideal Luke Buff

cggn8altuzp0.png
    PSN / Twitter: PlayersPurity

❝ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ɪꜱ ɴᴏᴛ ʟᴏꜱᴛ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ. ɪᴛ ɪꜱ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ. ❞
    - Leia Organa

• Okay you got me there. But Greedo was in BF1, so was Nim Nubz. Fun characters. The orbital drop was awesome.
  • I believe my staff strike milestone is broken. I should have at least 12 I think but it's struck at 1. It's hard to get the last kill with Plasma's staff.
    pija5nbcgaah.jpg
    "This is a mission of peace. I put my faith in diplomacy. We can't solve all of our problems by throwing troops at them."
    -Padmé Amidala
  • So I tried playing her again last night. I swung the staff and HIT two rebel players at once and it did almost nothing. All it does is leave you exposed since her twirl is so damn slow. They really have to put the stun effect back on, and speed up the delivery time for the strike.
  • Devlin21
    8308 posts Member
    The whole character is pathetic. She has all of 5 minutes of screen time in the movies too. Give me Greedo, or Sidious, or Grievous, or Jango, or Gov. Tuck, or something. Any other character would be better, I'd even take Jabba.

And how much screen time did Greedo have in the movie? ;)

He found solo first.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Phasma's staff strike has always sucked hard, regardless of pre-patch or post-patch. It's very rare to use it in the first place because of the high risk of getting close to any enemy - hero or regular dude - and it only does minor damage before Phasma gets put down. The associated milestone is therefore un-doable because the chances of taking out anyone with it is too low.
  • Its good to see a lot of people agree.
  • Ok, I am bringing back this post because I just read that Phasma is getting a new starcard called "Beat Down" which gives her health for every kill she gets with her staff. So now more than ever Phasma's staff needs to be changed to a more viable weapon. The stun effect needs to come back as well as placing the damage of her staff strikes back to 150 or else her new Beat Down card is going to be just as useless as her staff is at this point.
  • Are we talking about Phasma's "walking stick"?
    What a useless piece of equipment. I've tried it a few times in HvV and all it did was leave me open to attack. No noticeable damage to the other player.
    5gyfxhxo6249.jpg
  • willywonka7
    1342 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Zinjo2017 wrote: »
    Are we talking about Phasma's "walking stick"?
    What a useless piece of equipment. I've tried it a few times in HvV and all it did was leave me open to attack. No noticeable damage to the other player.

That's because the staff animation takes so long to run through and can be cancelled by any attack that is performed on phasma during the time that the animation is going. All someone has to do is shot phasma or melee her and the damage by the attack is cancelled even though she ran through most of the animation. Since she didn't finish the animation the attack was not completed and no damage was done. The only way to do damage with her staff is to go through the entire animation process. This is the main problem that needs to be addressed with the staff.

My suggestions were to decrease the animation time, so that the animation ran faster and it was harder for someone to cancel the ability. Or the ability should be turned into kylo's frenzy attack ability, where the ability would always run and it would be one long animation instead of having to press the button multiple times. If it was turned into frenzy attack type ability, then the animation would still be the same as Phasma's current animation just over layed on the mechnics of the frenzy attack. Only certain abilities just like for Kylo's Frenzy could cancel the attack. Lightsaber block stopping the attack would be up for debate....maybe the attack would do only a small portion of the original attack damage to prevent lightsaber users from spamming block on phasma, since they can already lightsaber block the stun attack of her droid. If phasma made it all the way to the end of her "frenzy attack" then she would still perform the knockdown on the character through all blocks since she can't do an extended attack like kylo can with a star card. Also other characters could still shoot her if they aren't the ones being attacked.

These are the things that would cancel Phasma's Frenzy attack
    1. Han Detonite Charge
    2. Chewy ground slam
    3. Lando shock
    4. Yoda force push
    5. Luke ground repulse, NOT his FORCE PUSH. That way he can't have multiple counters to the attack and his lightsaber block as well to reduce the damage. This is to balance single fights between Phasma and Luke in Hero Showdown.
    6. Rey can only dodge away, block and reduce damage or jump to get out of range or on top of something that would put her at a different level.
    7. Maybe Leia's flashgrenade would also cancel the ability to help leia out since her shield is nearly useless in Hero game modes. To me this make since since you really can't attack accurately if you are blind.

• Speed the animation up and put the staffs stun back! She is slow as ****, and getting up and personal with a Jedi is dangerous business.
  • It would be better if she can change between her blaster and staff rather than as a 3 hit ability. Like she didn't only use 3 strikes and switch back to her rifle while fighting Finn.
  • Puffy89 wrote: »
    It would be better if she can change between her blaster and staff rather than as a 3 hit ability. Like she didn't only use 3 strikes and switch back to her rifle while fighting Finn.

Agreed.
  • I want to know if this is actually getting looked at. this would be a great change for phasma if she can switch between her blaster and staff instead of a 3 hit combo.
  • I am sooo tired of vanity project animation in this game. Just give us a quick animation and let us play this game. Make a cut scene and animation section in the game so the vanity project animations can have a home for the devs and players to fawn over.
    I just wanna play the game without the nonesense!
    Things like Chewbacca's animation leading up to his slam. Why??? Let the brute slam, don't need the roar, don't need the flailing arms, etc... Same goes for Bossk, too much time wasted on animation when we just want to use the ability!
    5gyfxhxo6249.jpg
  • Phasma's staff animation should be like Jyn Erso's truncheon. Quick and allows you to move, with a few limited charges that had a moderate cooldown. Jyn Erso was my favorite hero in BF1 and they should bring her back.

But quite simply, if Phasma's staff was like Jyn's truncheons, it would be fine. But that stupid animation takes ages, and all it does is make you take more damage as you whiff the air against anyone that isn't braindead. The only people I've killed with the staff are completely oblivious **** or AFKers. In other words, I've killed maybe 6 people in total with staff strikes.
  • CrazyAce wrote: »
    Phasma's staff animation should be like Jyn Erso's truncheon. Quick and allows you to move, with a few limited charges that had a moderate cooldown. Jyn Erso was my favorite hero in BF1 and they should bring her back.

But quite simply, if Phasma's staff was like Jyn's truncheons, it would be fine. But that stupid animation takes ages, and all it does is make you take more damage as you whiff the air against anyone that isn't braindead. The only people I've killed with the staff are completely oblivious **** or AFKers. In other words, I've killed maybe 6 people in total with staff strikes.
    WOW, you actually damaged "anyone" with her walking stick? Coool!!
    I miss Jyn too. She was a well balanced blaster hero from that game.

5gyfxhxo6249.jpg