criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

So Darth Maul can’t block... because...

Prev1
SomberingJace
893 posts Member
edited April 24
DARTH MAUL CANT BLOCK BECAUSE ______
[FILL IN YOUR ANSWER]
mlsyi7fa77lx.png

feel the force Sombering Jace
Post edited by SomberingJace on

Replies

• SomberingJace
    893 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    -comment deleted-
    Post edited by SomberingJace on
    feel the force Sombering Jace
  • Odi
    63 posts Member
    Lore answer:

Darth Maul can't block because arrogance.
  • Darth Maul is able to block and send back blaster shot when he is making His furious throw. You just need to keep the dit on a soldier (i’m not kidding).

Sorry for my English, i’m a French Guy

MMGmind
  • MMGmind wrote: »
    Darth Maul is able to block and send back blaster shot when he is making His furious throw. You just need to keep the dit on a soldier (i’m not kidding).

MMGmind

I had no idea of this. Thanks for that.

Keep in mind @SomberingJace that Darth Maul can indeed deflect laser bolts while he's executing a Dash Attack.

But unfortunately those deflected bolts don't do damage anymore.
    I wish they never changed that, it was a cool effect for him.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Elusive_DJ wrote: »
    MMGmind wrote: »
    Darth Maul is able to block and send back blaster shot when he is making His furious throw. You just need to keep the dit on a soldier (i’m not kidding).

MMGmind

Keep in mind @SomberingJace that Darth Maul can indeed deflect laser bolts while he's executing a Dash Attack.

Not sure but I think it’s here since the last update with stamina changes

MMGmind
  • MMGmind wrote: »

MMGmind
    Really? Wow that's awesome, will have to try that.
    Dodging blocks lightsaber attacks right? Does dodging block blaster bolts?
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    Darth Maul can't block because the devs didn't watch his arc in Clone Wars. Nor did they watch his duel in E1 with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

Or maybe because he cannot be over cheated. And make sûre u know ur subject because he can block with his furious throw. Maybe u need to train before instead of talking on what’s The dev watch or didn’t watch...
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    The point is, this guy was part of one of the most, if not THE most iconic duels in the series. Good luck trying to replicate anything even remotely close to that by simply not having the ability to duel.

I think if they added the unique capability of rapidly hitting saber blocks for Darth Maul, that could indeed replicate his aggressive nature & duelist skills quite nicely in the game.

But unfortunately with the template presented with this game's light saber battles, we will NEVER reach that amount of depth in the lore when it comes to replicating the saber duels from the movies like Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy did.

That's just not going to happen in this game.

But they can atleast Try to get the saber fighting into a spot where it can be reasonably okay, instead of Unbearably Horrendous like it is right now.

KresusFIN wrote: »
    Yoda suffers from the same thing to a lesser extent. One wonders what exactly, beyond outright strange design choices, prevent him from blocking a saber aimed to his face.

Well one of the reasons I think they made it so he cant block was because he has the capability to completely ignore another saber user's light saber block.

He can rapidly hit saber blocks without getting staggered in any way, and his dash attack completely goes through any defense the saber wielder had in the first place.

And I think those 2 things make him the best saber duelist on the light side.
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• He doesn't need one.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

I can come up with a few reasons actually.

Darth Maul isn't able to block because that just isn't the play style he was created for.
    He's a hit and run villain that can close the gap incredibly fast with his dash attacks & shred people up close in seconds.

He's an incredibly dangerous hero if played correctly, mowing down crowds of enemies with his dash attacks.

The Choke Hold & Dash attack combo used on a hero can be absolutely devastating for those who're affected by it.

What I'm trying to get at here, is that the whole reason he's without a block is because of his incredibly offensive capability, which is unlike any other hero in the game currently.

Hope that clears it up for you a bit.
    Good answer.
    He doesn't need one.

And another good answer.
  • MC_XIX
    1506 posts Member
    He doesn't need a block. I do think that he needs more damage on his abilities and an improved saber throw, though. For a hit-and-run character, his damage output is too low.
  • bfloo
    14408 posts Member
    Darth Maul can't block because the devs didn't watch his arc in Clone Wars. Nor did they watch his duel in E1 with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

Maybe they did watch his cw arc and are still laughing about an unnamed pirate lackey shooting his leg off.
    I searched high and low and can not find a name for the pirate
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

The point is, this guy was part of one of the most, if not THE most iconic duels in the series. Good luck trying to replicate anything even remotely close to that by simply not having the ability to duel.

I think if they added the unique capability of rapidly hitting saber blocks for Darth Maul, that could indeed replicate his aggressive nature & duelist skills quite nicely in the game.

But unfortunately with the template presented with this game's light saber battles, we will NEVER reach that amount of depth in the lore when it comes to replicating the saber duels from the movies like Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy did.

That's just not going to happen in this game.

But they can atleast Try to get the saber fighting into a spot where it can be reasonably okay, instead of Unbearably Horrendous like it is right now.

Yoda suffers from the same thing to a lesser extent. One wonders what exactly, beyond outright strange design choices, prevent him from blocking a saber aimed to his face.

Well one of the reasons I think they made it so he cant block was because he has the capability to completely ignore another saber user's light saber block.

He can rapidly hit saber blocks without getting staggered in any way, and his dash attack completely goes through any defense the saber wielder had in the first place.

And I think those 2 things make him the best saber duelist on the light side.

None of what you said is true for maul...
  • Darth Maul can’t block because of the way his fighting style is design.
  • he is a monster and runs headlong into fights to create as much havoc as possible with offensive outburst then run away. his defense is his offense. hes an animal.
  • Darth Maul can't block because I said so!
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • Darth Maul can't block because the Sith are all powerful. They have no need to block :P
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • If he doesn't get block and HoK then his DPS and damage for all abilities needs to be increased.
    Frantic Strikes star card increases saber damage to all enemies.
    Lightsaber defense works against all damage, not just blaster bolts.
    "Dude, don't call us plucky, we don't know what it means."
    Devoted worshipper of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • JMaster
    2117 posts Member
    Darth Maul can't block because they had to work on Frantic Strikes.
    For real though, I'd be totally fine with seeing the Sith Apprentice get a block so long as it's balanced. My favorite idea I've heard around here is to rework Frantic Strikes (which barely did anything before, and now actually does nothing) or Lightsaber Defense can give Darth Maul the ability to block, however equipping it subtracts one of his Dash Attacks and/or increases it's cooldown. Regardless, I am irked that his block button does nothing, it's just redundancy for the dash button. Even if it just makes him do a flip or something, it should do something. And with Obi-Wan and Anakin finally making it to the game, I'd like to see him be able to actually duel with them. Hopefully some more people get to work on the game and we see the saber combat improved to be smoother and more interesting.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • AbyssWatch3r
    4883 posts Member
    edited April 24

Edit:
    Post edited by AbyssWatch3r on
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • 2n8nchy.jpg

Don't forget about this. I digress though, the dev's wanna release some of the dumbest off shoots of character concepts, and people actually defend it, then be my guest. This games already 75% a failure anyways. Almost a year in they just now start releasing decent changes like the bp reduction. Clone wars is this games last stand
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Madbri
    235 posts Member
    Darth maul kinda sucks. All you have to do is block him n he can’t get a hit on you.

• Madbri
    235 posts Member
    Most people just uses his spin attack. Just block n he bounces right off.

Darth Maul isn't able to block because that just isn't the play style he was created for.
    He's a hit and run villain that can close the gap incredibly fast with his dash attacks & shred people up close in seconds.

He's an incredibly dangerous hero if played correctly, mowing down crowds of enemies with his dash attacks.

The Choke Hold & Dash attack combo used on a hero can be absolutely devastating for those who're affected by it.

What I'm trying to get at here, is that the whole reason he's without a block is because of his incredibly offensive capability, which is unlike any other hero in the game currently.

All saber heroes are a hit and run type play style lol

Very true, but Maul is more of a hit and run than the others thanks to his amazing dash attack.

If Maul had a block, then he'd probably have a god awful dash attack like Luke.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• He would be too op. He's supposed to be a fast hero that can outrun danger, not block it.
  • he wouldnt necessarily be OP it would just ruin his playstyle

utilizing you're speed, throw and spin attacks your opponent should be spinning in circles trying to stay on target.

blocking is cancerous in this game. less of it please
  • Because he stood there looking like a dimwitted Neanderthal as Obi Wan slowly jumped over his head and killed him.

Guess that's where Obi learned when you have the high ground that you gotta swing up or block or something.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    Because Maul can win the the final stage of Crait by himself in 45 seconds... he doesn't need any block!

• Because the Devs didn’t want to take the time to make a block animation for him.

No one wants to accept the elephant in the room and it’s absolutely hilarious and infuriating at the same time
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    Because Maul can win the the final stage of Crait by himself in 45 seconds if his opposition is made up of utter trash like in this example... he doesn't need any block!

Fixed it for you bud !
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    Because Maul can win the the final stage of Crait by himself in 45 seconds if his opposition is made up of utter trash like in this example... he doesn't need any block!

Fixed it for you bud !

Exactly... every game I play is made up of utter trash of exactly this skill level... perhaps even lower!
  • AbyssWatch3r
    4883 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    t3hBar0n wrote: »

Fixed it for you bud !

You almost didn't even have too, he failed to kill anyone. Dead if he even tried, irrelevant.

This is just a failed hero concept the Dev's released. It's the same problem with Yoda being disadvantaged against most saber wielders, Vader in particular, despite being quite literally the most dangerous Jedi alive. It's not just that it isn't lore friendly at all, but blatantly a farce. Asinine, utterly. It's like giving count dooku only force abilities, or having Jango be a ground based Hero. Call it a different take or whatever, but the true fans know its total crap.

Obviously for characters we don't see much scene time they can stretch out or extrapolate a few abilities and traits as seen with Lando, Boba, bossk etc. But excluding core abilities/traits that are paramount to the Hero is just 3 thumbs down. loco.
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Devlin21
    8308 posts Member
    Because the Devs didn’t want to take the time to make a block animation for him.

No one wants to accept the elephant in the room and it’s absolutely hilarious and infuriating at the same time

Yea, that's exactly why.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• AbyssWatch3r
    4883 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Because the Devs didn’t want to take the time to make a block animation for him.

Nonsense, don't buy the con job. It's just turned off for the dumbest reason and replaced with another button that does the same thing.
    xnvLDB.gif
    MMGmind wrote: »

MMGmind

Yoda can do this as well during dash attack, it is very difficult however and kinda random, not something that can be relied on.
  • Uhhhhhggggg, this again...

Look, I wanted Maul to block since pre-alpha. I still do. But at this point, I don't think the devs are gonna do jack about it. I mean, we are JUST ABOUT to ALMOST NEARLY get Grievous and Obi Wan added in. These are ICONIC characters. We still haven't gotten Anakin and Dooku, one of which is one of the main characters of Star Wars in general. THE CHOSEN ONE. They said they'd improve saber combat, and after a month of development it was changed, but wasn't a total rework like they said. It was an adjustment. We are just about to get Clone Wars content, and it's not even that much, since it's spread out. Hell, the skins shown are ones uncovered at LAUNCH. They aren't new. The new Sentinel reinforcement class that was also partly finished at launch is now just showing progress with the Drodeika leak, which was handled SOOO well. The Aerial reinforcement is still not nearly as good as the Enforcer. Not all heroes have HOK, a feature that should be part of them by default. They made Hero Showdown and Hero Starfigher big deals, even though those are probably the most basic modes they could make. They have a massive disconnect with us as the community and the development team, as shown by their use of social media (the infamous Explosive shot glitch melting Vader and the recent **** EA for the Clone Wars screenshot that they linked). A lack of attachments for base weapons, and no new weapons or star cards. Constant bugs and glitches. And SOOOOOOOOOO much more.

I don't think they are gonna change Maul anytime soon. Our best chance for this game to significantly improve (or improve in general) is to open it up for modding to work with the devs. Modders can supply content, and the devs can simply check over and adjust content.

Look at GTA 5. Mods have increased that game's lifespan for sure (even though it is still a fantastic game without mods). I mean, it would certainly help with the lack of content.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Heal on kill should be added for most other Heroes, not just maul
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• Uhhhhhggggg, this again...

Look, I wanted Maul to block since pre-alpha. I still do. But at this point, I don't think the devs are gonna do jack about it. I mean, we are JUST ABOUT to ALMOST NEARLY get Grievous and Obi Wan added in. These are ICONIC characters. We still haven't gotten Anakin and Dooku, one of which is one of the main characters of Star Wars in general. THE CHOSEN ONE. They said they'd improve saber combat, and after a month of development it was changed, but wasn't a total rework like they said. It was an adjustment. We are just about to get Clone Wars content, and it's not even that much, since it's spread out. ****, the skins shown are ones uncovered at LAUNCH. They aren't new. The new Sentinel reinforcement class that was also partly finished at launch is now just showing progress with the Drodeika leak, which was handled SOOO well. The Aerial reinforcement is still not nearly as good as the Enforcer. Not all heroes have HOK, a feature that should be part of them by default. They made Hero Showdown and Hero Starfigher big deals, even though those are probably the most basic modes they could make. They have a massive disconnect with us as the community and the development team, as shown by their use of social media (the infamous Explosive shot glitch melting Vader and the recent **** EA for the Clone Wars screenshot that they linked). A lack of attachments for base weapons, and no new weapons or star cards. Constant bugs and glitches. And SOOOOOOOOOO much more.

I don't think they are gonna change Maul anytime soon. Our best chance for this game to significantly improve (or improve in general) is to open it up for modding to work with the devs. Modders can supply content, and the devs can simply check over and adjust content.

Look at GTA 5. Mods have increased that game's lifespan for sure (even though it is still a fantastic game without mods). I mean, it would certainly help with the lack of content.

all this jibba-jabba

but one thing you overlook that a good portion of the community, including myself, feel that Maul is very well balanced and doesn't need a block
  • wwkingms wrote: »
    Uhhhhhggggg, this again...

Look, I wanted Maul to block since pre-alpha. I still do. But at this point, I don't think the devs are gonna do jack about it. I mean, we are JUST ABOUT to ALMOST NEARLY get Grievous and Obi Wan added in. These are ICONIC characters. We still haven't gotten Anakin and Dooku, one of which is one of the main characters of Star Wars in general. THE CHOSEN ONE. They said they'd improve saber combat, and after a month of development it was changed, but wasn't a total rework like they said. It was an adjustment. We are just about to get Clone Wars content, and it's not even that much, since it's spread out. ****, the skins shown are ones uncovered at LAUNCH. They aren't new. The new Sentinel reinforcement class that was also partly finished at launch is now just showing progress with the Drodeika leak, which was handled SOOO well. The Aerial reinforcement is still not nearly as good as the Enforcer. Not all heroes have HOK, a feature that should be part of them by default. They made Hero Showdown and Hero Starfigher big deals, even though those are probably the most basic modes they could make. They have a massive disconnect with us as the community and the development team, as shown by their use of social media (the infamous Explosive shot glitch melting Vader and the recent **** EA for the Clone Wars screenshot that they linked). A lack of attachments for base weapons, and no new weapons or star cards. Constant bugs and glitches. And SOOOOOOOOOO much more.

all this jibba-jabba

but one thing you overlook that a good portion of the community, including myself, feel that Maul is very well balanced and doesn't need a block

Ok, let me rephrase:

Even though I would like him to block, that isn't a major priority. There's plenty of stuff for them to fix and add before that. I understand that you believe he's balanced as is. But I don't think he is. No HOK. No block. Yes, he's got mobility. But so does Palpatine. If I want to play hit and run, the Senate is a better option (he's a better option for most of the time lol).

But in the end, they could make a balanced block for Maul. Inaccurate, high stamina consumption, but allows him to move quickly. We've already got a decent enough animation for it with the mod. Smooth it out a bit and it's pretty good. He'd still be attack oriented and have weak defense, but he'd have one. And if they were to ACTUALLY change saber combat, blocking is a must. Otherwise, as some have suggested he can get nonstaggered with the current system, you do realize that he's be one of the best duelists, then? All you'd have to do is spam attack, since he officially has infinite stamina now, and just eat away at your own until you can't block. And there would be no counter for it. Saber combat needs a rework, as it is just a joke. But in GA, when I played this game regularly, if a Maul went after me, I would be able to do an absolute minimum of 100 damage if I was caught off guard. But, most of the time, I could get in a good 200 or 300. That's just me. If I have a teammate, that's even more damage. He's too reliant on his dash attacks. He's too oriented on them.

I think I'm going off track again, because I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm not pushing for it anymore. The way the game is going, there isn't much of a point for me to argue it. I'd rather them focus their efforts to making this game better overall than fix one thing that they should've had at launch.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Darth Maul Doesn't need Block. Block needs Darth Maul.

• GenxDarchi wrote: »
    Heal on kill should be added for most other Heroes, not just maul

This is at a bare minimum what needs to happen. I'll be satisfied with this game when permanent damage becomes a thing of the past. While it was there for balance in the bf2015 model, it shouldn't even exist now with the across the board HP/DPS nerfs to the Heroes.
    xnvLDB.gif

Vader isn’t hit and run ... he can barely jog hahaha