criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

A second version of GA with fewer heroes and Enforcers

Prev1
I used to love playing GA. It's the game main "flagship" mode, after all. Big maps, lots of players, layers of complexity.

The heroes being in the wrong factions bugged me every time, but I often could ignore that or just shudder and get past it.

But what really killed the mode for me, in the last few months -- to the point where my friends and I just stopped playing the mode entirely -- was the sheer numbers of heroes and Enforcers in the last phase or two. The first one or two phases would be enjoyable, everything I remembered. But soon there'd be four enemy heroes hovering on the objective and guarding each other's backs, and five enemy enforcers, and it all just turns into a poodoo-show for the rest of the game. And it's just worse now with the BP cost lowered.

I know there are people who find this fun. I don't want to take their fun mode away from them. But I know that a LOT of people don't like it, and avoid it.

I'd like to see the current GA moved into the Hero Modes category, and a new GA brought in that is exactly the same except that it only allows one hero at a time and two enforcers.

I don't want to argue and debate why you like one type of play or the other type. There are plenty of other threads for that. I just want to talk about this idea of a less hero-spammy version of GA.

Thoughts?

Replies

• This. I'd love variants of all the modes really. I love Extraction, but I do lament not seeing a hero or two in there... and having a larger variant where they are available would be nice to appeal to everyone! Same with GA, SA, really anything with reinforcements. Do I think it's feasible? Probably not, but I will advocate this till these servers shut down.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Give us a massive war map with no heroes and barely an enforcer, say 20 v 20 still but only 2 wookies and one jet pack allowed

• Zirius
    160 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    JackTHorn wrote: »
    I used to love playing GA. It's the game main "flagship" mode, after all. Big maps, lots of players, layers of complexity.

The heroes being in the wrong factions bugged me every time, but I often could ignore that or just shudder and get past it.

But what really killed the mode for me, in the last few months -- to the point where my friends and I just stopped playing the mode entirely -- was the sheer numbers of heroes and Enforcers in the last phase or two. The first one or two phases would be enjoyable, everything I remembered. But soon there'd be four enemy heroes hovering on the objective and guarding each other's backs, and five enemy enforcers, and it all just turns into a poodoo-show for the rest of the game. And it's just worse now with the BP cost lowered.

I know there are people who find this fun. I don't want to take their fun mode away from them. But I know that a LOT of people don't like it, and avoid it.

I'd like to see the current GA moved into the Hero Modes category, and a new GA brought in that is exactly the same except that it only allows one hero at a time and two enforcers.

I don't want to argue and debate why you like one type of play or the other type. There are plenty of other threads for that. I just want to talk about this idea of a less hero-spammy version of GA.

Thoughts?

+1. The large mode will become the main mode tho most probably once it's out.
  • Yes please. The trooper classes are the best balanced units in the game. I was very much against classes until I tried them and am surprised how well they did. Let em shine Dice.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Yes, I for one love heroes vs infantry, but GA is the only mode where that happens. It would be nice to have the option to enter servers where that is on or off (heroes) for example I would personally love to see heroes in extraction
  • GA with no heroes, I’d welcome. Reinforcements aren’t an issue so I’d vote to keep those. I wish there were another couple available is all. I don’t hate Wookiees, but there should be more special unit classes to choose from.
  • I’d love no heroes in GA! People could use battle points on vehicles only
  • I completely agree.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • If they actually had cannon battles in this game it would limit the number of heroes available automatically. But yes that would be cool.
  • +1 to less heroes.. keep them era specific and at a maximum of 1/1/2 or 1/1/2/2 per team.

the WW is OP simply because of the grenade.. remove the grenade and half as many people would play them... or just replace it with the assault troopers one..same effect...easily fixed in 10 mins.

However, EA wont do any of this. They know completely new players can get a lot of kills with WW and this goes toward their target of casual gamers. They are lost and now have turned in a failed attempt to appeal to the masses, or so they think until every long term player gets feds up and deserts it and their new target audience has moved onto nintendo dogs or something.

• I fully support this... the relative power of each hero if there is only say 1 per side will be exponentially higher in relation to the rest of the players!
  • Heroes on timer and proper cooldown would be the best solution without dividing already small community in 2.
  • HeavyTeemu wrote: »
    Heroes on timer and proper cooldown would be the best solution without dividing already small community in 2.

...well it might divide 95 / 5 in favour of the less Heros version?
  • DarthCapa2
    2674 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    The limit of heroes in GA must be 2
    Post edited by F03hammer on
  • HeavyTeemu wrote: »
    Heroes on timer and proper cooldown would be the best solution without dividing already small community in 2.
    I was just talking with my friends about how much we miss heroes the way they were in the old school Battlefront II -- one at a time, both teams get one at the same time, randomly offered to a player, on a timer that decreased with damage sustained but increased slightly with kills...

That last part is the only part I'd really want to see changed. Maybe it'd be better for the timer to increase with objective play, but still decrease with damage sustained.
  • At this point, even the fatally flawed token system would be slightly better than what we've got. It's not even worth playing for me. Like many who have been commenting, I haven't played more than a few games of GA in months.

But that's just us. Some people seem to love it the way it is. That's why we need two separate versions.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Heroes on timer would be great... that way an overly dominant player could only last so long with one hero. If said player is so good, they could easily become another hero again soon. People would also play more freely instead of hiding in the back because they want “their” favorite hero for the next stage
  • This would only create more modes that would further break up the server populations and make it difficult to find matches.
  • BeastlyCrawdad
    2720 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    DarthCapa2 wrote: »

No. I say we should have a trooper only, large-scale objective mode. leave GA the way that it is.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • JackTHorn
    3548 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    DarthCapa2 wrote: »
    No. I say we should have a trooper only, large-scale objective mode. leave GA the way that it is.
    This thread isn't about which of the two ways GA should be. This thread is about having two GAs, one in the Hero Modes section for those who like the current hero-heavy gameplay, and another in the Assault section for those who would enjoy a version of GA with just 1 or 2 heroes and Enforcers at a time.

• Dingbattin_1000
    165 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I wouldn't mind seeing a GA with no heroes and then limit each enforcer type to 2. I'm sure I would go back and forth but it would be a a lot of fun to have this. I would most likely play that the most and we would see more people playing classes they enjoy more rather than one that can get them a hero the fastest. I would also love to see an anti-vehicle enforcer class...I think that would be quite fun to play on some maps.
  • I predict it won't happen, at all.
  • relleuM wrote: »
    This would only create more modes that would further break up the server populations and make it difficult to find matches.

So does people not playing.

On a side note, I still would really like to learn how lobbies are generated. Can they not be spun up/down based on usage?
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • JackTHorn wrote: »

Thoughts?

just what we need,
    yet another mode to split the ever dwindling playerbase....
  • riverslq wrote: »

Thoughts?

just what we need,

It would bring back players who dont want to play Star Wars Hero Spam as the only, single way of having a proper Star Wars battle in a game. The last game had this mode...Turning Point.....and it did NOT destroy the player base for Walker Assault.
  • riverslq wrote: »

Thoughts?

just what we need,

It would bring back players who dont want to play Star Wars Hero Spam as the only, single way of having a proper Star Wars battle in a game. The last game had this mode...Turning Point.....and it did NOT destroy the player base for Walker Assault.

You are advocating for the same exact mode, just fewer or no heroes/enforcers. I can only see this splitting up who is currently playing GA. When the large scale conquest type mode is released, then that will only further split up who is playing what. Adding a large scale mode and another GA for troopers only when there is already Blast, Extraction and Strike would be a terrible idea.
    riverslq wrote: »

Thoughts?

just what we need,

You are advocating for the same exact mode, just fewer or no heroes/enforcers. I can only see this splitting up who is currently playing GA. When the large scale conquest type mode is released, then that will only further split up who is playing what. Adding a large scale mode and another GA for troopers only when there is already Blast, Extraction and Strike would be a terrible idea.

please stop with this all ready more modes make the game more fun witch means more people actually playing.
  • if this ever becomes a thing ill just change my officer BP spam to disruption spam instead Lol.
  • unit900000 wrote: »
    relleuM wrote: »
    riverslq wrote: »

Thoughts?

just what we need,

please stop with this all ready more modes make the game more fun witch means more people actually playing.

This. I really want to know how lobbies are created. Is it a set amount that Dice is unable to change or can the number of lobbies increase/decrease based on usage? I suppose I could search for the answer on google but I thought someone here would know the answer.

In the server world we can allocate resources based on usage. I’m just not a game developer/sys admin so I have no idea for certain whether it works the same way.
    #infantrylivesmatter
    You are advocating for the same exact mode, just fewer or no heroes/enforcers. I can only see this splitting up who is currently playing GA. Adding a large scale mode and another GA for troopers only when there is already Blast, Extraction and Strike would be a terrible idea.
    All these people acting so sure that creating two versions of Galactic Assault, or adding any modes at all, would "split the player base" and somehow spell doom for the game. Well, I've got a bit of news for you. It's not like the game is doing great as it is. And those of us who can't stand the hero spam in the current version of GA, WE AREN'T PLAYING IT.

Or at least, most of us aren't playing it, we're just opting out of GA because it sucks for us. And as for those who strongly dislike the current version of GA and its hero spam, but are still playing it now and then for whatever reason, you're basically saying, "Screw them and their happiness, their enjoyment of the game, all that matters is that I'm having a good time!"

Let's break it down this way: You've got a thousand people playing Battlefront. 500 of them love GA just the way it is. 500 of them can't stand GA because of the hero spam, and wish there were fewer heroes and enforcers.

The people in the first group play a lot of GA, say each person plays around five games a day. That's 2500 games a day total for the first group.

The people in the second group don't play GA at all or don't play very often, maybe a each one of them plays around two GA games per week, on average. That's a little less than 130 total GA games a day from the second group.

All 1,000 people total 2630 games of GA per day.

Now, say they do this thing, and create a second version of GA that is limited to two Heroes at a time. And say that whole second group stops playing the current version of GA entirely, and starts playing the new version of GA at the same rate the first group plays the current version, 5 per day.

The end result of this means that the current GA goes from 2630 players per day down to 2500 players per day, and the second new version of GTA also now has 2500 players per day.

What exactly is the problem in this scenario?

Ultimately, it just comes down to this:
    unit900000 wrote: »
    More modes make the game more fun which means more people actually playing.

You are advocating for the same exact mode, just fewer or no heroes/enforcers. I can only see this splitting up who is currently playing GA. Adding a large scale mode and another GA for troopers only when there is already Blast, Extraction and Strike would be a terrible idea.
    All these people acting so sure that creating two versions of Galactic Assault, or adding any modes at all, would "split the player base" and somehow spell doom for the game. Well, I've got a bit of news for you. It's not like the game is doing great as it is. And those of us who can't stand the hero spam in the current version of GA, WE AREN'T PLAYING IT.

Or at least, most of us aren't playing it, we're just opting out of GA because it sucks for us. And as for those who strongly dislike the current version of GA and its hero spam, but are still playing it now and then for whatever reason, you're basically saying, "Screw them and their happiness, their enjoyment of the game, all that matters is that I'm having a good time!"

Let's break it down this way: You've got a thousand people playing Battlefront. 500 of them love GA just the way it is. 500 of them can't stand GA because of the hero spam, and wish there were fewer heroes and enforcers.

The people in the first group play a lot of GA, say each person plays around five games a day. That's 2500 games a day total for the first group.

The people in the second group don't play GA at all or don't play very often, maybe a each one of them plays around two GA games per week, on average. That's a little less than 130 total GA games a day from the second group.

Now, say they do this thing, and create a second version of GA that is limited to two Heroes at a time. And say that whole second group stops playing the current version of GA entirely, and starts playing the new version of GA at the same rate the first group plays the current version, 5 per day.

The end result of this means that the current GA goes from 2630 players per day down to 2500 players per day, and the second new version of GTA also now has 2500 players per day.

I see it differently and your hypothetical math is just that. As you indicated the game is not doing great as is. I think everyone would agree that player counts are dwindling. As those counts dwindle even further, it will be more and more important that there are fewer modes for people to be spread out in. A large scale conquest mode is already going to pull people from GA, and then you all are advocating for a second GA on top of that. I wholeheartedly believe that would be a terrible decision and path for the longevity of this game.

Even if your hypothetical math is correct and all the non-GA people start playing the new GA mode with fewer heroes, then what modes are you leaving behind and will those modes be impacted by your loss?
  • I would at least recommend finishing the Clone Wars season first. I'm noticing it's taking longer and longer to find a game right now. The new heroes, game mode, and maps should bring a lot of players back. Then you may be able to add another large mode emphasizing troopers. But right now? Probably not a good idea.

I see it differently and your hypothetical math is just that. As you indicated the game is not doing great as is. I think everyone would agree that player counts are dwindling. As those counts dwindle even further, it will be more and more important that there are fewer modes for people to be spread out in. A large scale conquest mode is already going to pull people from GA, and then you all are advocating for a second GA on top of that. I wholeheartedly believe that would be a terrible decision and path for the longevity of this game.

Even if your hypothetical math is correct and all the non-GA people start playing the new GA mode with fewer heroes, then what modes are you leaving behind and will those modes be impacted by your loss?

Well if GA loses players to the new "Conquest" mode then it just proves that GA can't hold it's own when players have other choices. It's the ONLY large map, higher player count option at the moment and considering the last game had 3 large scale modes and Walker Assault was still the most popular might just show that GA isn't "all that" when it comes to what this game could offer with large scale modes. Regardless if you feel "threatened" by not having a precious OP tank "hero" to pick constantly.

Well if GA loses players to the new "Conquest" mode then it just proves that GA can't hold it's own when players have other choices. It's the ONLY large map, higher player count option at the moment and considering the last game had 3 large scale modes and Walker Assault was still the most popular might just show that GA isn't "all that" when it comes to what this game could offer with large scale modes. Regardless if you feel "threatened" by not having a precious OP tank "hero" to pick constantly.

Nonsense. It would prove nothing, except that maybe loyal, content-starved players are looking for a fresh experience after being stuck in the same linear progression on the same 12 maps for over a year.

Everyone who keeps citing the “three large modes” in BF2015 forgets (or ignores) how quickly Turning Point, the trooper-only mode, died.

Nonsense. It would prove nothing, except that maybe loyal, content-starved players are looking for a fresh experience after being stuck in the same linear progression on the same 12 maps for over a year.

Everyone who keeps citing the “three large modes” in BF2015 forgets (or ignores) how quickly Turning Point, the trooper-only mode, died.

Found a match of Turning Point just two days ago when I popped BF15 in the ps4. So...it's not dead.
  • Some of you are just being selfish about GA....denying any excuse for there to be a mode we would prefer (that every other Battlefront has offered) that doesn't let you hack and slash and OHK anyone with your OP "tanks". You'll always have GA....it wont die....stop getting paranoid.
  • I’ll start worrying about not being able to find matches in this game due to player counts dwindling from a “split player base” when I can no longer find matches in BF 2015.
    #infantrylivesmatter
    Your hypothetical math is just that.
    That was my point -- none of us have the data needed to make a really useful assessment of the impact another mode would have.

All I do know is that, of the ten people I play with relatively often, four of them never play GA, and another two of them only play itoccasionally, for the reasons we've been discussing here. That plus the substantial number of forum members here who have expressed their dislike for the hero spam and Enforcer spam in GA, makes me think there's a substantial number of people who either don't play GA, or don't play much, but would if a different version of it were put forward.

But that's just anecdotal evidence, as we both said. Already. We don't have the data to back up anything more than that.

As you indicated the game is not doing great as is. I think everyone would agree that player counts are dwindling. As those counts dwindle even further, it will be more and more important that there are fewer modes for people to be spread out in.
    You're assuming that players who are brought into the game by one mode don't play any other modes while they're there. I've found that mostly they do.

My hypothetical math is self-evident. If I'm correct, then the loss of one or two hundred players from a mode they're not having much fun in any way will not be significant compared to the gain of more than 2,000 players who are getting back into the game because of the new mode.
  • But here's the core of the matter. Either I'm right about how much loss a new version of GA would cause, or you're right, one of the other. Either the reduction of players in other modes would be significant, or it wouldn't be significant.

The thing is, it doesn't matter which one of us is right.

If I'm right and most of the people who would be playing a reduced-hero version of GA are people who haven't been playing the current GA anyway, then the Hero version of GA doesn't lose a significant number of players, and all is well.

But if you're right, and a significant number of the people who would play a new reduced-heroes version of GA are people who are actively playing the current version of GA -- then what is it that you're really saying here? That half the players in the game's flagship mode should be left with no other option than to keep playing games they're not enjoying, so that the other half who ARE enjoying it can get their jollies slaughtering infantry with Heroes?
    Your hypothetical math is just that.
    That was my point -- none of us have the data needed to make a really useful assessment of the impact another mode would have.

All I do know is that, of the ten people I play with relatively often, four of them never play GA, and another two of them only play itoccasionally, for the reasons we've been discussing here. That plus the substantial number of forum members here who have expressed their dislike for the hero spam and Enforcer spam in GA, makes me think there's a substantial number of people who either don't play GA, or don't play much, but would if a different version of it were put forward.

But that's just anecdotal evidence, as we both said. Already. We don't have the data to back up anything more than that.

As you indicated the game is not doing great as is. I think everyone would agree that player counts are dwindling. As those counts dwindle even further, it will be more and more important that there are fewer modes for people to be spread out in.
    You're assuming that players who are brought into the game by one mode don't play any other modes while they're there. I've found that mostly they do.

My hypothetical math is self-evident. If I'm correct, then the loss of one or two hundred players from a mode they're not having much fun in any way will not be significant compared to the gain of more than 2,000 players who are getting back into the game because of the new mode.

I hear you and I get where your going with it. I simply fear it will divide the player base more than add players to the game. I already see the player count dropping and it is hard to find matches in certain modes. I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I do hope the larger scale mode helps bring people back though, it has to have more than just 1 or 2 maps though.
  • Fair enough. It just seems to me they might as well make a GA mode that the rest of us could enjoy. I'd really love to start playing GA again.
  • WodiQuix
    4418 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Sign me up for a less Hero spam GA @JackTHorn !
  • I like the idea of adding new game modes, but I think the other galactic assault should have it's own name, maybe "Galactic Skirmish", rather than have Galactic Assault have it's name changed and moved to a different spot.

#JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • JackTHorn
    3548 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Unwarycoin wrote: »
    I like the idea of adding new game modes, but I think the other galactic assault should have it's own name, maybe "Galactic Skirmish", rather than have Galactic Assault have it's name changed and moved to a different spot.
    Obviously that'd be better than it not happening. But I do think the move is important. If the mode is going to be so hero-heavy, it should be in the Hero Modes category. I don't care what they're called, particularly.
  • just in case the powers that be read through this....

i hope this doesn't happen. the player base is apparently already small. no need to spilt it.
  • The solution to this is the new large scale Conquest style game mode. In Conquest, a team can flip the action by taking flags on the opposite side of the map. Heroes won't be able to just sit on one flag and dominate. Even if they start taking a flag back you just left, you go to another and take that one. And since it's a more open mode, these heroes will be taking fire from any number of directions.

GA by nature promotes heroes dominating the points. It's so restrictive, there's no where to go. Heroes have been dominating GA since the progression fix. All the sudden good hero players had full sets of purple cards of their choice. It only takes two of those to lock a flag down completely.

GA is just not that great of a feature mode. It's like if Battlefield launched with just Operations and no Conquest mode. Their forums would erupt lol.
  • Defbored wrote: »
    just in case the powers that be read through this....

i hope this doesn't happen. the player base is apparently already small. no need to spilt it.
    Ugh. You're just not even reading any of this, are you? That complaint has been answered.
  • IMHO the only solution to satisface all people is increase the max players by team in GA. This would do that the heroes be less decisives.
    ddw3rc11mp2j.jpg
  • Circles, circles. I still don't see the problem with a second, hero-restricted version of GA.

I think most of the people who would leave the current GA and go to the new GA are like me, and don't play the current GA much or at all. If I'm wrong and there's lots of players in the current GA but hating it, you can't exactly demand that they not get a mode they'd like, so they are forced to stay with you in the current version they hate so that you can have fun.