criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

EOR Matchmaking Tweaks

Prev13456
F8RGE
839 posts EA Community Manager
edited October 2018
We've got some back-end changes going live this morning in Star Wars Battlefront II which should improve the EOR MM experience. There will be no downtime required for this.

Changes have already begun to roll out, but will take time to propagate throughout our servers, and platforms.

Replies

• IronSoldier
    3722 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    Good to hear!

Are there any stats in regards to if lobbies are fuller?
  • Is it still forced onto us or will it only work if we press the button?
  • WorldShuffle
    296 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    F8RGE wrote: »
    We've got some back-end changes going live this morning in Star Wars Battlefront II which should improve the EOR MM experience. There will be no downtime required for this.

Changes have already begun to roll out, but will take time to propagate throughout our servers, and platforms.

You said something about a CT today?
    What is it about and when can we expect this?
  • I get put into half over games only to be sent to empty lobbies, I just wanna play in a game until I want to leave it
  • Old_fella_1963
    4697 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Please can you switch it all off including Squad in Strike and go back to ignoring us...those were ' better days'. And please confirm the UK data centre will NEVER EVER be available again
  • avmav wrote: »
    F8RGE wrote: »

Can you ask the Devs why this system kicks you out of full well balanced lobbies into a new half empty one? Surely the main goal is to get you in a full lobby that's well balanced?? It's completely broken...like seriously

I've been in matches where both rounds ended in a close fight on phase two, couldn't get more balanced, then it kicks you into a new half empty lobby. What is the goal of this system??

Because it's job is to just shuffle the players around at the end of a match. It doesn't recognize whether a match was balanced or not. That's why the matchmake button is there for, so that if you have a balanced match you won't use the matchmake option. Though that option is always on now cuz of testing probably. When they are happy with the results they'll probably just make it optional to matchmake.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• I played a couple of game of Blast and Strike last night that were really close, only 1 or 2 kills separating the final headcount in Blast and Strike going for three rounds, often being won/lost in overtime, only to be thrown into matchmaking and that balance totally lost on the next round or worse put into a new lobby that doesn't populate so you have to quit out and try again.

I have also noticed a return to being put into empty lobby's that don't populate when trying to find a game in the first place, not as bad as before (ping/matchmaking issue on Xbox) but if it doesn't find a game in under about 20 seconds it will more often than not be an empty game.
  • F8RGE wrote: »
    We're making some changes to the map rotation in Star Wars Battlefront II and will be reverting back to the full rotation now that some of our tests have concluded.

This change should be live within 30 minutes as it propagates across our servers.

I am glad to get back to a full map rotation so a huge thank you for that. I am a little nervous that only "some" of your tests have concluded. I understand the weekend from Jakku was to test things but I sincerely hope the tests that haven't concluded yet won't be the tests that screw up the playability of our game.
    Somewhere between "the sky is falling" and "everything is awesome" lies the truth.
  • I am still amazed that my experience (GA mostly with some HvV) is so much different than the prevailing experience. I have not had to quit at the end of a match due to steamrolling since the EOR MM has started. I had some issues with lag when XBOX fix was rolled out, but that seems to be better now. Time between games is longer, but no worse than having to quit and find another server was before this EOR MM was implemented due to unbalanced game.

I see a lot of complaints about balance matches being broken up. The broken up part sucks, but EOR MM put those matches together in the first place. Maybe my experience before EOR MM was worse as it seemed hard to find balanced matches before. Sure every now and then, you would get a balanced match. However, one or two games in one side would start getting an edge, and the good players from the other team would leave.

The extra time between games, while annoying, has been worth it for me.
  • Im not a fan of the forced extra time between matches. Still getting a good amount of steamrolls. Would rather have it as it was.
  • Liz4rD
    1059 posts Member
    Please explain to us what are these changes, what are they for, and how they will affect the game (lobbies and matchmaking)

And PLEASE, PLEASE tell us if the 'matckmake' button is there for some reason, MAYBE to let the players continue in the server with other players in an already balanced game (by DONT cliking in 'matchmake') or flee to another fresh lobby by clicking on 'matchmake'.
  • Liz4rD
    1059 posts Member
    Ok, starting the game rite nao to see how the thing is going and give some feedback.

I will support the game until the very end. Because I think it is a good game and it could be even better.
  • Is this one of the reasons why CW content was delayed? Because resources are being devoted to the EOR MM?
  • I am still amazed that my experience (GA mostly with some HvV) is so much different than the prevailing experience. I have not had to quit at the end of a match due to steamrolling since the EOR MM has started. I had some issues with lag when XBOX fix was rolled out, but that seems to be better now. Time between games is longer, but no worse than having to quit and find another server was before this EOR MM was implemented due to unbalanced game.

I see a lot of complaints about balance matches being broken up. The broken up part sucks, but EOR MM put those matches together in the first place. Maybe my experience before EOR MM was worse as it seemed hard to find balanced matches before. Sure every now and then, you would get a balanced match. However, one or two games in one side would start getting an edge, and the good players from the other team would leave.

The extra time between games, while annoying, has been worth it for me.

This exactly. I’ve experienced a drastic improvement to match balancing. The increased wait time has been mild. Empty or scarcely populated lobbies have filled up in less that 60 seconds. This has been a success. It’s mystifying to me that those who called for balanced MM didn’t understand that the only way to properly achieve this would be to move players between lobbies after EoR. The tests were doing this frequently for data collection. They were tests, not the finished product.
  • It’s mystifying to me that those who called for balanced MM didn’t understand that the only way to properly achieve this would be to move players between lobbies after EoR. The tests were doing this frequently for data collection. They were tests, not the finished product.

I think the biggest issue is that most people (including myself to be honest) believe that a Team Shuffle after each map (so everyone plays as LS and DS) would be sufficient to balance out most games. This would allow for a full map rotation and the worse thing that would happen is that you may play as DS or LS twice in a row. The only times this would be insufficient is when a clan or group of friends is destroying and the group can't be broken up.
    Somewhere between "the sky is falling" and "everything is awesome" lies the truth.
  • Darth_Vapor3
    4163 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Skowsa wrote: »
    It’s mystifying to me that those who called for balanced MM didn’t understand that the only way to properly achieve this would be to move players between lobbies after EoR. The tests were doing this frequently for data collection. They were tests, not the finished product.

I think the biggest issue is that most people (including myself to be honest) believe that a Team Shuffle after each map (so everyone plays as LS and DS) would be sufficient to balance out most games. This would allow for a full map rotation and the worse thing that would happen is that you may play as DS or LS twice in a row. The only times this would be insufficient is when a clan or group of friends is destroying and the group can't be broken up.

I suspect it will end up being just that. +/- those entering/exiting the lobby combined with minor lobby shuffling.
  • Skowsa wrote: »
    The only times this would be insufficient is when a clan or group of friends is destroying and the group can't be broken up.

I'm skeptical that team shuffle will be enough for this reason. MM using team shuffle should be very easy if it wasn't for friends playing together. I suspect most of the team balance issues are due to randoms without chat having difficulty competing with a coordinated party. Too many snipers and defense being favored are also issues.

• Skowsa wrote: »
    The only times this would be insufficient is when a clan or group of friends is destroying and the group can't be broken up.

I'm skeptical that team shuffle will be enough for this reason. MM using team shuffle should be very easy if it wasn't for friends playing together. I suspect most of the team balance issues are due to randoms without chat having difficulty competing with a coordinated party. Too many snipers and defense being favored are also issues.

Again, good points. GA is intrinsically imbalanced to a degree with the whole attacker/defender nature of it. This dynamic will evaporate in Conquest.
  • @F8RGE can we please get a response on the benefits of EOR MM? It seems to have a negative impact on most of the community. At least give us an explanation on how it’s SUPPOSED to work so we know when to report failures.

Is it supposed to put us in a new server after every match?
    Is it supposed to matchmake every match regardless of pushing the matchmake button?
    Is it supposed to have no regard to map rotation or faction assignment after every match?

A brief explanation would do wonders.

I’m also curious what they’re basing the matchmaking off of. If someone does well as a specific unit in a single match they might be garbage the next match where they can’t pick that unit.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Liz4rD
    1059 posts Member
    Okey, I've played some maps in GA and here is what I could observe:

- Time to get a match when from search to get one: minimum. Good
    - I started in a fresh lobby ready to start the game on Hoth, when the game started the server was FULL. Good
    - Later I played Jakku, and my team did it nice, on the 2nd round (on First Order side, attacking) the teams were SHUFFLED. Yes, I could see much of my team mates on the previous game being part of the enemy team, an vice-versa. Good
    - When Jakku ended (we played badly and couldnt complete phase 3) I was launched to a fresh lobby on Kashyyyk and the lobby was almost inmmediatly full, no wait time. Good
    - I had not the choice to stay on the previous lobby (if I would've wanted to); despite my team played badly, I would like that to be my choice, an OPTION, not an obligation. Bad.
    - I noticed a certain 'balance' mostly because of what I believe was shuffling teams between 1st and 2nd round of a map, and a new lobby full of new ppl. If not what I want to be the final solution, Its clearly pointing in a somewhat good direction.

Thx anyway to the dev team, keep pushing.

• Up ;til now I've been an ardent supporter of this game.

But if the matchmaking thing is what's causing my GA map rotation last night to be:

Yavin 4
    Yavin 4
    Yavin 4
    Yavin 4
    Death Star 2
    Death Star 2
    Yavin 4
    Yavin 4
    Death Star 2
    Death Star 2
    Hoth
    Hoth

..it needs to go away. I'm OK with matchmaking, but it need to be Opt-In only, and shouldn't affect map rotation.
  • Atleast we can play all maps again.
  • They have put time into this and clearly dont want to just give up. That said, stop throwing money/time down a rat hole. It doesn't work, please move on.

Unless the goal is to have the players move on, then you are right on track.
  • I just managed to play some GA. It took a few minutes to find my first server where it usually takes a matter of seconds. Balanced game as clones on Naboo but I only played as one side and got shuffled off to another server.

Second game was again fairly balanced and it only took about 30 seconds to find server (which was basically full). Again though, only one round as clones before getting shuffled off of Kamino.

About 30 seconds to get put into an empty server with about 9 others. Slowly filled and played two uneven rounds on Kashyyyk.

Three clone maps in a row.

It was a lot quicker than the weekend but would have preferred to not get shuffled out of the first balanced games. It seems like speed has improved but balancing may need some work.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!