criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

Will this game ever get a large mode worth playing?

Worth playing for people who aren't focused on Heroes, that is.

My friends and I haven't played Galactic Assault in months, other than maybe once a month to see if anything has changed. It's just a giant HvV mode, with infantry present so the heroes can feel tough. No fun.

The only modes we play are Extraction and Starfighter Assault, and sometimes Strike, maybe a bit of Blast. But they seem to have abandoned these modes -- no new maps, no tweaking or improving. And anyway, they're just small modes, short matches.

I miss playing Galactic Assault, back when it used to be at least somewhat fun, before everything in the game was focused on heroes.

I don't play other games. I bought my PS4 pretty much just to play Battlefront and Battlefront 2, because for the 16 years before this game released, Battlefront games were about the troopers. Not to mention Star Wars accuracy.

Now it looks like the only new mode we're getting is just going to be ANOTHER version of HvV, with tons of heroes and troopers an afterthought. I'm glad you hero-players are getting what you want (still), but when do the rest of us get a game worth playing?

Replies

• YODA100
    1067 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Ikr? Lightsaber combat in this game is broken. They might as well focus on strike and extraction or even a new mode without the heroes.
  • AuraStorm wrote: »
    Its been hero focused since launch, dunno where you’ve been

A fail one.
  • I would like to see a 'Post Order 66' mode - where the Resistance & Clone troopers battlefront-it-out on Kashyyyk, Theed or Tatooine (no heroes and easy access to jetpacks); 2 for 1 mode
    That might be asking too much? I'll go back to sleep...
  • OcDoc
    1840 posts Member
    Uhhhh. Nothing has changed.
  • I'm hoping so... Galactic Assault just keeps growing more and more stale. I just hope I still have some form of emotional involvement in this game when it eventually gets here in February.
  • JackTHorn wrote: »
    AuraStorm wrote: »
    OcDoc wrote: »
    Initial game:
    • GA hero limit = 2
    • Content roughly equal for Campaign, Starfighter, Single-Player, and Multi-Player
    • All MP modes got roughly equal attention
    • New content (skins, etc) was released for both heroes and troopers

Game now:
    • GA hero limit = 4, sometimes 8
    • Content for Campaign and Starfighter is dead since the companies that make it are gobe
    • Single-Player, barely gets a trickle on content, they just toss a new map or two in like scraps to a dog
    • GA and HvV get lots of focus, lots of tweaking and thinking, and are the only modes that have gotten any significant attention in months
    • Extraction, a fan favorite, is shriveling up because they only gave it two maps, aren't planning to add any maps, and are now looking at just schlubbing it in with Strike
    • The vast majority of new Roadmap content coming to the game is either heroes, or for heroes -- the only exception is a few lousy cheap clone Legion skins

The GA hero limit hasn't really been adjusted that much. It has always been 2 on the first few phases 3 on the last. And every now and then people bug the system out and spawn a extra hero. Which is a bug. There was an event that allowed 8 heroes for ONE weekend. Sorry your life is over because of that.

"Content roughly equal for Campaign, Starfighter, Single-Player, and Multi-Player"
    This has been a Multi-Player game since launch. Everything else has always been a side project.

"New content (skins, etc) was released for both heroes and troopers"
    Skins weren't a thing till fairly recently. And the content has been very light for everything. Only just now are we seeing not only new heroes, but a new GA map that has new vehicles on it, ontop of clone skins.

----

Also may I remind you that in the old battlefront 2, heroes were extremely tough and changed the flow of combat. And battlefront 2015 had a vil that was literally unkillable in WA.
    Twitch = Lavarious3038
    My Youtube = http://www.youtube.com/c/Lavarious
  • Wow, you guys get to play Starfighter Assault, Extraction, Strike and Blast and all I get is Galactic Assault and a broken HvV mode? You are killing it for trooper modes! Wish I could get a viable hero mode. Something glorious. Something exciting. Something never seen before. Oh wait. We have seen it. It's called Heroes Unleashed. Oh well. I guess you and I will both go unhappy for the foreseeable future.
  • JackTHorn
    3653 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Makiroa wrote: »
    JackTHorn wrote: »
    AuraStorm wrote: »
    OcDoc wrote: »
    Initial game:
    • GA hero limit = 2
    • Content roughly equal for Campaign, Starfighter, Single-Player, and Multi-Player
    • All MP modes got roughly equal attention
    • New content (skins, etc) was released for both heroes and troopers

Game now:
    • GA hero limit = 4, sometimes 8
    • Content for Campaign and Starfighter is dead since the companies that make it are gobe
    • Single-Player, barely gets a trickle on content, they just toss a new map or two in like scraps to a dog
    • GA and HvV get lots of focus, lots of tweaking and thinking, and are the only modes that have gotten any significant attention in months
    • Extraction, a fan favorite, is shriveling up because they only gave it two maps, aren't planning to add any maps, and are now looking at just schlubbing it in with Strike
    • The vast majority of new Roadmap content coming to the game is either heroes, or for heroes -- the only exception is a few lousy cheap clone Legion skins
    The GA hero limit hasn't really been adjusted that much. It has always been 2 on the first few phases 3 on the last. And every now and then people bug the system out and spawn a extra hero. Which is a bug.
    It was initially a limit of 2 in the last phase, also. And even when they moved the limit to 4, it was sometimes still somewhat enjoyable -- partly because people didn't have their heroes purples out yet, but mostly because there was still a feeling of at least equal focus on the troopers, and players weren't all obsessing over heroes yet.

There was an event that allowed 8 heroes for ONE weekend.
    Yup. An astute observation. Yet you fail to notice that they have also said several times that they're looking at how 8 heroes at once did for possible later implementation, either in GA or the new Conquest mode, or who knows what.

"Content roughly equal for Campaign, Starfighter, Single-Player, and Multi-Player"
    This has been a Multi-Player game since launch. Everything else has always been a side project.

"New content (skins, etc) was released for both heroes and troopers"
    Skins weren't a thing till fairly recently.
    If 6 months ago (April) is "recently...

And if they'd been doing their jobs, skins should have been "a thing" since release. The last game started with something like 40 skins, and added at least two full new models (not just repaints) every few months. If they'd at least released with a similar number of skins, then added say 10 skins every couple of months, they could potentially have funded the game through the slow period between May and September when nothing was happening. But no, what little effort they made was focused pretty much entirely on heroes.

Only just now are we seeing not only new heroes, but a new GA map that has new vehicles on it, on top of clone skins.
    A new GA map, yes. GA only. And GA has become mainly a hero mode now, even without the doubled hero limit.

"On top of clone skins" -- Yeah, Legion skins. Literally the laziest thing they could do. These skin are so cheap and awful, even I could make one in a day. And they already had the Clone skins as we see them finished back in FEBRUARY, we saw them in the first data mining leak.

Also may I remind you that in the old battlefront 2, heroes were extremely tough and changed the flow of combat. And battlefront 2015 had a vil that was literally unkillable in WA.
    Spoken like someone who didn't play much Pandemic Battlefront.

In the Pandemic Battlefront II, heroes were tough(ish) and might change the flow of combat, but there was only 1 per map, and one at a time, and they were always from the correct time period (which we never thought we'd have to specify, but here we are).

And I would take one OP villain in 2015 Walker assault over an unstoppable team of 4 villains or heroes steamrolling everything in the end of every single match of GA, like we have now. Easy choice. 2015 Walker Assault was fun. The release version of GA was super fun. Now it's a hero-infested, unplayable mess, unless what you really want is to play heroes.
    Post edited by IIPrest0nII on
  • Wow, you guys get to play Starfighter Assault, Extraction, Strike and Blast and all I get is Galactic Assault and a broken HvV mode? You are killing it for trooper modes! Wish I could get a viable hero mode. Something glorious. Something exciting. Something never seen before. Oh wait. We have seen it. It's called Heroes Unleashed. Oh well. I guess you and I will both go unhappy for the foreseeable future.
    Extraction is great -- but only two maps and no plans for more because they're a terrible company. Strike has a couple more maps, but is in the same quandary. SA is fine, but the company behind it is gone, no more maps or even tweaks forthcoming, and it's definitely not Trooper play. Blast was never worth playing. And none of them have any heroes at all, so it's all or nothing -- hero-focused, or hero-abandoned.

I guess we can agree that the game is insufficient for both groups. Though at least they're busting their butts making constant efforts for hero-based modes and elements. And they've said they're looking hard at bringing your beloved Heroes Unleashed back into the game permanently, whereas the many many requests for more Extraction maps have only been answered with a flat "No".
  • Yes.
    GA and Conquest (when it gets here).
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • It might be for a little bit before people figure out how to get Heroes super fast in this game mode and it becomes Heroes vs Villains with infantry just being point nodes to farm.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • t3hBar0n
    5001 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    With Conquest being a much less linear mode, the influence heroes will have on the battlefield, and the concentration of heroes will be significantly reduced compared to GA which is about as linear a mode as you can get.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    With Conquest being a much less linear mode, the influence heroes will have on the battlefield, and the concentration of heroes will be significantly reduced compared to GA which is about as linear a mode as you can get.

That all depends on how many heroes they allow on the field at once, how easy it is for hero characters to move around this map, ( being easily able to go over obstacles infantry have to go around etc), how easy it is to acquire enough points to get a hero, and the ability to spawn trap a team.

Any combination of those 4 would be bad.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • None of it will matter if they keep EOR MM in the game.
    Versatti wrote: »
    Dennis, EA or Disney still do not understand their customer base or how to win them over.
  • Unwarycoin wrote: »
    Yes.
    Except not GA. And also probably not Conquest.

It might be for a little bit before people figure out how to get Heroes super fast in this game mode and it becomes Heroes vs Villains with infantry just being point nodes to farm.
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    ... Maybe. Let's hope so. I gave you guys an "Insightful" for those, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    Unwarycoin wrote: »
    Yes.

For you.
    I have rarely had a bad match of Galactic Assault.
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
    Yes.
    For you.
    Ah, I see. You didn't read the original post, you just read the title.
    Yes.
    For you.

Hopefully one day (I would welcome more modes).
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
    Yes.
    For you.

Hopefully one day (I would welcome more modes).

Sorry I just went by the title.
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • bfloo
    15713 posts Member

We aren't getting cq, we are getting something like cq.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• t3hBar0n
    5001 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    bfloo wrote: »

From the rumors it appears to be a rehash of Titan from Battlefield 2142 (which I loved at the time). It is functionally a modified conquest mode in which there are 2 ways to win. Option 1 is to control the various points for enough "damage" to cause the Titan to be destroyed... this is functionally pure conquest mode. Option 2, control the various points until the "shield" of the Titan was depleted, at which point you could board the ship and attempt to destroy the objective directly rather than controlling the various conquest points to damage the Titan objective. Either way, if it does end up to be this type of game mode, the vast majority of the gameplay will be conquest type in nature and non linear.

EDIT: Here is a brief overview... it was a sweet mode!
  • Looks amazing to me. I hope there's at least a version with fewer heroes, or none if necessary.

From the rumors it appears to be a rehash of Titan from Battlefield 2142 (which I loved at the time). It is functionally a modified conquest mode in which there are 2 ways to win. Option 1 is to control the various points for enough "damage" to cause the Titan to be destroyed... this is functionally pure conquest mode. Option 2, control the various points until the "shield" of the Titan was depleted, at which point you could board the ship and attempt to destroy the objective directly rather than controlling the various conquest points to damage the Titan objective. Either way, if it does end up to be this type of game mode, the vast majority of the gameplay will be conquest type in nature and non linear.

Yeah this is the popular theory that the Conquest mode will be like. I'm not sure I expect the capital ships to be as involved as the Titan's in BF2142. You could even spawn in on a Titan and fire its guns at ground troops. Also, taking one down from the inside was extremely tough if the other team decides to defend it.

Either way, Conquest mode should definitely alleviate the hero dominance. That said, the original Pandemic games were Conquest mode games. They added heroes to the original SWBF2, and they could still make their presence well known. But it wasn't anything like the dominance on GA. I liked the first Pandemic SWBF game better with just ground troops.

I think it would be a good move for DICE to consider at the least an event where heroes are turned off in GA or Conquest, if not look at a permanent ground troops only mode. But then, it would just be WW and other enforcer units running around dominating lol.
    Looks amazing to me. I hope there's at least a version with fewer heroes, or none if necessary.

It's a new mode, so I wouldn't mind if it's trooper only, I'd like Heroes, but I wouldn't mind if they don't show up.
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget

Okay, as long as it's like this, I don't care who the playable units are, because this looks awesome!
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget