criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

[Megathread] EOR Matchmaking Issues

Replies

• Yeah turn it off as it messes up my ability to get a good match of Ewok Hunt.
    #StarWars-y
  • LeftTurnus wrote: »
    I am against. It is obviously removing you from a good connection server to one that has alot of latency for you. Utterly ridiculous...
    I have a feeling, if the game lasts that long, that in the end we may simply end up with same lobby shuffling, you know, the thing everybody points out to DICE is the only thing needed.

Being forced into foreign servers is definitely an issue that is starting to happen more and more.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Context

I'm playing on PC
    I've suffered some lag on past days but it seems now it's not affecting the server I'm playing
    I am not on default server ping site. Someone pointed out that if you have this selected, then the system could change your ping server if the system wants to. To avoid this, simply select a ping server instead of 'default'.
    I play on Germany server, 62 ms, stable connecton most of the times, generally no lag.
    I have not suffered the 'playing the same map 5 times in a row' thing, not even once.
    I have played the correct mapcycle everytime I joined a game, no iterations, no same side. And I think its because im not on 'default ping site'.

Now, this is how I think this EOR system works...

- System let a map be played by the same ppl who started it, and let them play on both sides
    - When map (2 rounds) is finished then 'start matchmaking'
    - Then the EOR matchmaking system creates a new lobby with the former players that have similar stats on the EOR data we can see at the end of the map
    - Sometimes just a bunch of players hits the specs needed by the EOR matchmaking, so just a few players or even 4 players are the starting members of the new lobby (or maybe just you alone).
    - The rest of the former players are placed in lobbies with similar EOR results from the map just played
    - This way sometimes the new lobby for the new map may contain most of the players from the former lobby, or the players might have been scattered in several lobbies depending on the EOR data, with the objective of creating matches starting with players that have similar stats and filled up with newcomers.

This is my guess about how EOR matchmaking works.
  • And... GA games were more balanced for me this weekend, even with wookies in great numbers all around.

Some matches were steamrolling and finished on phase I, but most of them were a hard battle for minutes and minutes on last phase, with teams even, heroes respawning on both sides continously, and 'overtime' signal always in yellow.

And 'intense' or 'epic' were the comments in the chat while playing.

BTW, I have never got a so good experience playing Death Troopers. I totally destroyed any wookie (or trooper) I could find in my way. I remember Ive ended with more than 60 kills just playing the Death Trooper, so satisfying and powerful class.

• I hear you guys, this is tough for elite playes, because now our strength will be compensated by putting us with weaker players. We'll get less first place and top three finishes then normal. At the end of the day though, this is probably good for the player base, and I've noticed the games are a lot more competitive already. We will dominate a little less, but the game will be more fun for everyone collectively.
  • I hate this system. It ruins the game by slowing it down and messing up teams. It removes me from teams that are balanced and makes me wait extra time just to throw me into another steamroll. I keep playing the same maps and/or being on the same side over and over again.

I have barely touched this game since matchmaking was turned on. I turn it on sometimes to play the dailies, but I often don't even finish them before turning the game off to play something else. The matchmaking system really makes Battlefront II not fun.
  • @Liz4rD and @Yanks28th You guys sound as if you believe that we are being separated by some kind of stat. Either in round or all time.
    I can assure you that is not the case. I've been playing on PC since launch. I know the top players, I know the "groups" etc. I'm watching as elite players get paired with elite players completely destroying balance in the process.
    I will die on the hill of this being completely random server shuffle.
    Versatti wrote: »
    Dennis, EA or Disney still do not understand their customer base or how to win them over.
  • @Liz4rD and @Yanks28th You guys sound as if you believe that we are being separated by some kind of stat. Either in round or all time.
    I can assure you that is not the case. I've been playing on PC since launch. I know the top players, I know the "groups" etc. I'm watching as elite players get paired with elite players completely destroying balance in the process.

I felt that way earlier in the week, but it really did seem to work very well in the ten games I played today. I'll grant you its a small sample size
    Yanks28th wrote: »
    @Liz4rD and @Yanks28th You guys sound as if you believe that we are being separated by some kind of stat. Either in round or all time.

I felt that way earlier in the week, but it really did seem to work very well in the ten games I played today. I'll grant you its a small sample size

That is precisely what Im saying, I felt this is going better the last two days.

Im not saying that the system is pairing ppl with the same level. Im saying that the system is grouping ppl with alike EOR stats when finishing a 2 round map (maybe doing an average from the data collected). Maybe thats why EOR data is so... difficult to understand (several threads back in the day trying to figure it out what EOR data means).

Maybe they are tweaking that EOR data collection. And probably tweaking the system working around tha data aswell.

And as Ive said, I guess It is all about grouping ppl with average EOR data in the same 'level' to shuffle them in teams on new lobbies and fill up the lobbies with ppl in a new search or coming from other lobbies.
  • I’m not playing anymore either. It takes so long to get into a match now.

1. First you need to get into a server and watch the planet loading screen, which has taken ages forever.
    2. Then you wait a good minute to load in, ok for GA but silly in smaller game modes.
    3. You better hope your internet is on a good day, because there’s always that chance you’ll lose connection to EA servers and start all over again.
    4. And with this every other match takes you to a new server, forcing your restart all progress and possibly play on the same map.

Congrats EA while most devs improve their games post-launch, you’ve managed to make it worse.
  • Liz4rD
    965 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    @Liz4rD and @Yanks28th You guys sound as if you believe that we are being separated by some kind of stat. Either in round or all time.

Im playing this since the beta, on PC.

A week ago I would have bet my life it was random server lobby creation, and I can remember I posted something in that way first time EOR system was tested.

But Ive been playing almost every day since, and now I am not the same opinion.

First they implemented the EOR data (did someone ask for it? no. But It was needed for the EOR matchmaking they were planning. And besides they presented it as a feature for the game so it was fine). Some time after they implemented the first test on EOR matchmaking. No way they are not connected, huh? ;). So its plain logic that the EOR data is used for creating lobbies based on the data collected. And if matchmaking is working every 2 round every map, and as Ive capturing and observing the players from one matchmaking to the next during these last days, I simply did the math.
    Post edited by Liz4rD on
  • More on that, yesterday I played HvsV to observe in detail if my guessings were correct. Only 8 players so its easier to tell if they are shuffling random or the way the system keep players from one server to the next through matchmaking.

I saw players playing with a tag (probably from a clan) being in the same side for 3 maps. I saw the best players in the same server but shuffled in both teams and players with the worst numbers dissapear after the matchmaking. And ive been playing with or against the same players for about 6 maps in a row with some variations in form or some new players joining the empty placed left by the players with worst stats and some shuffling (those players being my mates or my enemies during that six maps) and of course my server was not the only server running HvsV on saturday afternoon in Central Europe ;).
  • I will admit that my theory is pure speculation since they are giving us nothing to go on.
    But my experience has been different than yours. It seems to be getting worse as far as balance goes. That would also lean towards random in my opinion.
    One other thing I brought up in another thread.
    Notice how what little Ben has talked about their success and progress in EOR MM has all been about map rotation and decreased time for servers to fill.
    Not once has he mentioned any success concerning match making itself.
    I think had they made any progress in that aspect, or if that was an aspect at all, we would have heard him brag about that progress as well.

Just my opinion and I do admit I could be wrong and hope that I am.
    Dennis, EA or Disney still do not understand their customer base or how to win them over.
  • In fact the dissapointing thing is the lil information overall we are getting from the devs about the 'system'.

Its sad we have to GUESS what is this for and how does it work. Im aware that the public/customers/gamers, dont need to know how a system works, most of the times. And that the pro criteria about some technical stuff is probably better than the average player/customer has. But in this case we would appreciate SO MUCH some information...

Im hoping, as you, that this in the end will HELP the game and we can enjoy better gaming in the future.

MTFBWY.
  • chaostheory7777
    42 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I Do Not like this system. I want to be able to stay in same server so I'm not repeating maps or playing one side two times in a row. Very frustrating. Still steamrolling enemy teams, occasionally coming across a good team only to lose them the next planet. At least before we would be with them for a couple of planets. And the time between matches because of this auto matchmaking is way too long, before the server knew where you were going next so map was loaded quicker, now have to wait on matchmaking to see then load a map, too long to wait.

Last night my team I play with in HVV decided to play with our food getting a couple of points then letting them get a couple points and so on as to give them hope.

Also now it is high impossible to get friends on the other side to play against in HVV to have a 4v4 and be able to play with them more then one round, only way since dice won't give private matches.

Please Dice, GET RID OF AUTO MATCHMAKING AND SERVER SHUFFLING, IT IS RUINING THIS GAME.
  • Dash
    11553 posts Member

I didn’t know you were on PC with me! Add me dude!!! :sunglasses:
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• Dash wrote: »

I'm trying now but Origin seems to be acting up.
    My Origin ID is AOD_Azor_Ahai
  • Dash
    11553 posts Member
    Dash wrote: »

I’ll add ya in a bit! :blush:

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• I only notice shuffling. I don't know whether it takes into account previous performance. I have noticed top players being mixed around the next round but I don't know whether it was just random or on purpose.

I noticed this evening that after a match on Naboo, and after matchmaking, the top player on each opposing team started the next round on the same side. Hmmm.
  • SVEJ
    1160 posts Member
    im surprised no DEV team or MOD even bothered commenting on this, i know the lag has increased and the EOR isnt working, cant wait for this game to die and then BF5 to die and then dice gonna get shut down like all the other studios. DICE just make bad company 3 and save yourself.
  • It should also be noted in the announcement about the EoR MM tweaks that all comments saying to turn it off got like counts in the 20s whilst the announcement itself has a staggering 5.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • Against. The same maps, over and over.
  • Proper and easy matchmaking=Shuffle the players in the lobby based on points from the previous round and don't split up people in partys. DICE way= try to figure out a far to complex algorithm that no one in the office accualy understands and then shove your head in the sand and hide when hell brakes loose. Again and again and again and again and again.

I was shocked when I heard that there's roughly 900 people working at DICE Stockholm. The first question that pops up in my mind is WHIT WHAT!?!?

• Every time I pass this thread I think of Tallie. Then I have to remind myself that it says tally.
    Man I love this girl right behind Padmé.
    ep8-ff-002619_d78fe932.jpeg?region=171%2C0%2C720%2C720&width=320
    I don't like the matchmaking system. I played Hero Starfighters for 4 hours and played basically the same map of D'Qar and Unknown Regions with a few times on Ryloth. Once of Fondor, Endor and Kamino. Being on the villains side upgrading their ships but rarely on the heroes side so I can upgrade Tallissan Lintra A Wing. Half of this time was basically waiting for players.
    I had to quit and reassign in so I can play a full game. I did got tired of people quitting in mid matches.
    pija5nbcgaah.jpg
    "This is a mission of peace. I put my faith in diplomacy. We can't solve all of our problems by throwing troops at them."
    -Padmé Amidala
  • This matchmaking system is simply put, terrible. No no, it's not terrible. It's Turrible. (Props for those who got that reference.) Why are we being forced out of lobbies after what, two games? Why can't we have the option to move to a lobby if we wanted to? Key word: Want. Why must we be forced out of lobbies after a few games? Seriously! What if we get into a lobby that we really enjoy? Both sides have good players contributing to their teams and matches are fun but then we get kicked out into a new lobby where no one has no idea what their doing. That. Is. Not. Good...at all! I am 110% (Yes, I said 110%) against this system. Long story short (…) we should have a casual playlist that puts us with anyone and a ranked playlist that puts us with players that match our skill. (Also weren't we supposed to get a stats menu at some point? This isn't a complaint, I'm just curious about that.)
    gctn47nz145u.png

I keep changing this for whatever reason but ehh...It can stay like this I suppose.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    LeftTurnus wrote: »
    I am against. It is obviously removing you from a good connection server to one that has alot of latency for you. Utterly ridiculous...
    I have a feeling, if the game lasts that long, that in the end we may simply end up with same lobby shuffling, you know, the thing everybody points out to DICE is the only thing needed.

Being forced into foreign servers is definitely an issue that is starting to happen more and more.

That may have something to do with the new "default" option, but I'm not sure.

#JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • Unwarycoin wrote: »
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    LeftTurnus wrote: »

That may have something to do with the new "default" option, but I'm not sure.

No, my ping site is set to Germany as I play from South Africa and I got pushed to lobbies in the USA. I have never been able to find a game on our local server.
  • DarthJ
    6330 posts Member
    I will vote against, even though I haven't played properly in about 3 weeks and likely wont for a while longer with RDR2 on Friday
    PSN: ibrajoker59
    It should also be noted in the announcement about the EoR MM tweaks that all comments saying to turn it off got like counts in the 20s whilst the announcement itself has a staggering 5.

Link to the announcement about the Matchmaking Test - https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121955/eor-matchmaking-test-strike-and-blast/p6

If you want a bigger sample, read the 301 comments about it on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/9mdmk0/eor_matchmaking_switch_on_24hr_period/

Just thought it might give greater numbers to add in is all :smile:
    51bvn954fmlp.png
    Could not agree more. After playing tonight, first I've played since the matchmake update. This is really bad. So bad, tonight was the first time I've removed my battlefront 2 disc from PS4 in months.

Six more days to RDR2, I may not play battlefront 2 for a long time.

Seems they are purposely trying to lose players to RDR2.

First, I'm honored to be quoted by you. I always enjoy reading your comments.

Second, that sounds like a sadly plausible conspiracy theory. Why do they want us to go? It sure seems that way.

Well keep up the good posts @Empire_TW if nothing else I still enjoy reading this forum.
  • Hello DICE!
  • Meguro wrote: »
    It's a good thing the winning teams don't accumulate good players but seriously..the majority of the player base is ridiculous noobish. They have no idea what an objective is or simply do not care.

But that's the thing. I don't think the matchmaking picks out good players or bad players. I think they just get randomly thrown from their lobby.
    I must be the only one constantly being put along people who have no clue on what the $#&@ they’re doing

You are absolutely not.
  • Devs, you asked for our feedback on matchmaking. About half of the threads on the first page are devoted to matchmaking and not many of them are in favor of it. We have absolutely no idea of how matchmaking works. At least give us the option to turn it off.
  • Meguro wrote: »
    It's a good thing the winning teams don't accumulate good players but seriously..the majority of the player base is ridiculous noobish. They have no idea what an objective is or simply do not care.

But that's the thing. I don't think the matchmaking picks out good players or bad players. I think they just get randomly thrown from their lobby.
    I must be the only one constantly being put along people who have no clue on what the $#&@ they’re doing

Least you get put into servers with people in them.
    hojevrxvarht.png
    Could not agree more. After playing tonight, first I've played since the matchmake update. This is really bad. So bad, tonight was the first time I've removed my battlefront 2 disc from PS4 in months.

First, I'm honored to be quoted by you. I always enjoy reading your comments.

Second, that sounds like a sadly plausible conspiracy theory. Why do they want us to go? It sure seems that way.

Well keep up the good posts @Empire_TW if nothing else I still enjoy reading this forum.

I'll keep posting, not like I have anything better to do given that I'm not entertained by staring at empty servers.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • You can put me down in the against bucket.

EOR MM has completely ruined the gaming experience for me. I'm old enough that I don't have much time to play anyway, and spending 50% of it waiting for MM to throw me into more empty lobbies of maps I don't want to play isn't how I want to spend my time.

I haven't played since the weekend the abortion of a system was turned on to "test for a day" and have no intention of playing again unless it is removed, or drastically improved.

I check these forums every few days to see if it's still in play, and from the vitriol I see here and the total lack of response from Dice....I think I can say this games dead to me now, as will be any other forthcoming games from Dice.
  • Admiral_Xen
    2727 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Empire_TW wrote: »

Were I to put on the tinfoil I'd think it's more EA trying to boost their own BFV's launch rather than any competitor.

They're banking that the casual crowd doesn't care about sticking it to the publisher more than having a playable game, and they may not be wrong.

For me though, it's had the opposite effect. I'm not getting BFV unless I know this crap isn't also tacked onto it.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • Abuuru
    421 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm fortune to be one of the few to not be suffering from a lot of the issues you described. For example, I've never received "Error 1066", I rarely play LS or DS more than twice (if twice at all), I usually have a healthy mix of maps over the course of a 1-2 hour session.

As far as having zero control of what maps I play, during the initial loading screen, I have 5 seconds to decide to cancel joining the game if i don't like the map I see i'm being loaded into but I rarely do this since I enjoy playing on all maps.

Matchmaking has been an issue in the past but over the course of the week i've noticed games are alot blanced (I also never get put into an empty lobby after EOR MM, if i am put in a new lobby the lobby fills up within 30 seconds and we're off to a new, more balanced match).

As long as EA removes the mandatory EOR MM (which I think they're doing on a temporary basis to collect data), I'm having alot of fun playing on various game modes.

Sounds like alot of people are having a different experience than me on a few of these items so I can only comment based on my experience.
  • Abuuru wrote: »
    I'm fortune to be one of the few to not be suffering from a lot of the issues you described. For example, I've never received "Error 1066", I rarely play LS or DS more than twice (if twice at all), I usually have a healthy mix of maps over the course of a 1-2 hour session.

As far as having zero control of what maps I play, during the initial loading screen, I have 5 seconds to decide to cancel joining the game if i don't like the map I see i'm being loaded into but I rarely do this since I enjoy playing on all maps.

Matchmaking has been an issue in the past but over the course of the week i've noticed games are alot blanced (I also never get put into an empty lobby after EOR MM, if i am put in a new lobby the lobby fills up within 30 seconds and we're off to a new, more balanced match).

As long as EA removes the mandatory EOR MM (which I think they're doing on a temporary basis to collect data), I'm having alot of fun playing on various game modes.

Sounds like alot of people are having a different experience than me on a few of these items so I can only comment based on my experience.

This is my experience exactly. I’d also like to add that I’ve only hit the matchmake button maybe three times. I’ve always just let it do it’s thing at EoR, and like I said, this has been my experience exactly.
  • Dash wrote: »

@Dash I started a thread on Origin because I can't search anyone anymore.

this is the response I got lol ;

The Origin team has temporarily removed this functionality in order to resolve another issue.
    Friend search will be restored as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience while we work on this.

-EA_Darko
    COMMUNITY MANAGER
  • Dash
    11553 posts Member

@Dash I started a thread on Origin because I can't search anyone anymore.

this is the response I got lol ;

The Origin team has temporarily removed this functionality in order to resolve another issue.
    Friend search will be restored as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience while we work on this.

-EA_Darko
    COMMUNITY MANAGER

Yes I was about to bring it up here because none of us could search yesterday.

rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

Were I to put on the tinfoil I'd think it's more EA trying to boost their own BFV's launch rather than any competitor.

They're banking that the casual crowd doesn't care about sticking it to the publisher more than having a playable game, and they may not be wrong.

For me though, it's had the opposite effect. I'm not getting BFV unless I know this crap isn't also tacked onto it.

Another reason not to buy it is the fact that they are touting painting your face when previous battlefields were touted for gritty warfare and knocking skyscrapers down.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • Billkwando
    1590 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Piscettios wrote: »
    Not even willing to deal with it. Haven’t turned the game on in week.

bk3inrpstwfx.jpeg
    Stomp on this like Dengar does Ahsuck.

I have a question. Was that inset picture placed there by a fan, or is this from an actual comic book?

If it's the latter, why does he look like a nearly photo realistic dude, yet she looks like a cartoon Bratz doll?
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • Jdorn24 wrote: »
    You can put me down in the against bucket.

EOR MM has completely ruined the gaming experience for me. I'm old enough that I don't have much time to play anyway, and spending 50% of it waiting for MM to throw me into more empty lobbies of maps I don't want to play isn't how I want to spend my time.

I haven't played since the weekend the abortion of a system was turned on to "test for a day" and have no intention of playing again unless it is removed, or drastically improved.

I check these forums every few days to see if it's still in play, and from the vitriol I see here and the total lack of response from Dice....I think I can say this games dead to me now, as will be any other forthcoming games from Dice.

The only response I've seen is on twitter but their claims of it "improving the game" I find to be extremely false.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • Only "improvement" to the game has been the increased level of aggravation it causes.
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • Abuuru wrote: »

This is my experience exactly. I’d also like to add that I’ve only hit the matchmake button maybe three times. I’ve always just let it do it’s thing at EoR, and like I said, this has been my experience exactly.

I always assumed that pressing matchmake was a faster way to continue (same thing as pressing continue instead of waiting). Doesn't it auto-matchmake you even if you don't press the button?
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • Ashanor
    62 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I already had major issues finding games previous to the matchmaking changes. For months it was a dance of join queue, wait 10 or so seconds, leave queue and rejoin (because if you wait too long it dumps you in a dead lobby to wait and hope).

Post matchmaking I still do this, but I get removed from my lobby after nearly every match (and dumped in matchmaking queue) and then sit there forever waiting to find something, which also results in dead lobbies.

So my only option is to leave after every game and redo the queue dance hoping to find something else, which can sometimes take 10-15 minutes. So between each match, I have 10-15 minutes of playing with the queue trying to get into a game.

This.
    Isn't.
    Fun.

Please remove matchmaking.
  • TheScape wrote: »
    Abuuru wrote: »

I always assumed that pressing matchmake was a faster way to continue (same thing as pressing continue instead of waiting). Doesn't it auto-matchmake you even if you don't press the button?

"Matchmaking" happens regardless, the button is a false choice.

s92fvlkikeen.png
    hojevrxvarht.png