criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Starfighter Assault Thread

Replies

• PC player here. The changes I'd like to see are:

Revenge/Avenge markers gone. it creates bad feelings enough with good players, and the noobs make it harder than it has to be.

Higher speeds in all ships, especially heroes.

More maps, of course! I find that the base and capital ship objectives are my favorite like Ryloth and Fondor. Star Wars has enough battle where you can pick and choose from the best like the battle above Naboo. Or ROTJ Death Star 2.

Make the Imperial ships better somehow. It just seems like they don't have the 'right stuff' that the Rebel/Resistance/Republic ships have.

Give the Imperial Interceptor stutter fire. Four-at-a-time bolts slow down the game but it does make you think differently.

Perhaps a mode that disallows Star Cards and just puts the game down to skill? I've played without cards and it's a much different game without them and not necessarily bad.

A completely customizable HUD, each element able to be changed by the player.

I really like SFA and play it exclusively so don't let it go by the wayside.

Thanks,

-Thrux

• I would like them to fix the bugs in SA created by the changes they're making to other modes. SA was pure and well balanced. Now the bugs are infiltrating and I don't like it. Sure, it needed some hitbox changes but otherwise it was clean. Now you have the potential for a game-ending bug with every round.

Obviously, we would all like some new maps. Fingers crossed that BFV continues to tank and they bring some devs back to BF2 but even then we'll most likely just get ports. I'm fine with that but let's keep the expectations reasonable. At this point I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can fix the bugs and return it to normal.
  • Need new maps.
  • Obi Wan’s Delta 7 would be my choice but will probably get the reskinned Eta2 which will also be Anakin’s star fighter.
  • Need some new maps please.
  • Make the ships faster.

Maybe make the target circle / hit box a bit smaller, but don't remove it. That's extreme.

Needs a button for doing a quick 180 flip, maybe on a stamina-like cooldown.

Breaking the looping cycle isn't hard if you know what you're doing.

The main thing SA needs is not to be abandoned like everything good in this game seems to have been.
  • JackTHorn wrote: »
    Make the ships faster.

Maybe make the target circle / hit box a bit smaller, but don't remove it. That's extreme.

Needs a button for doing a quick 180 flip, maybe on a stamina-like cooldown.

Breaking the looping cycle isn't hard if you know what you're doing.

The main thing SA needs is not to be abandoned like everything good in this game seems to have been.

agreed, except the 180 flip :D it was some 2015 bf ability right?

make the falcons hp back to normal too!
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• blxaqrpau8we.jpg
    dr9yba6w35bg.jpg

Skins
  • blxaqrpau8we.jpg
    dr9yba6w35bg.jpg

Skins

OML yes, give me vehicle skins, please DICE.........please.
  • Obi Wan Eta2
    vlnr0e42bnqs.jpg

or Obi Wan Delta 7
    xr0iik3lh2yh.png
  • FriedPizza773
    1182 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Elrik Vonreg's red First Order TIE Interceptor
    latest?cb=20181008162146
    PSN: FriedPizza773
  • I would like to be able to man the turrets either stationary or in another ship ,you would have to have a cap say no more than 3 at a time , and would like radar like a mini map
  • Legendary Voice : Lando - Nien Nunb for Hans falcon
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• Obi Wan Eta2

or Obi Wan Delta 7

Definitely the Delta 7, then replace Yoda's Eta 2 with Anakin's
  • SourceFroob
    5 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I think starfighter assault is good for the moment. Tie-FO should be buffed. Abnormally low health, even with a shield. Its outclassed and outgunned by the T-70.

I'm not a fan of the almost identical objectives in certain locations. "Destroy this thing to open up that thing and destroy it before time runs out, or else you'll have to go back to destroying the thing to open it back up again." - Fondor and Kamino are the main offenders for this problem.

Edit: D'qar does the below worse than the unknown regions.

Starfighter Arcade needs to change, though. Unknown regions is heavily swayed in favor of the resistance. The First Order's resurgent battlecruiser's point defense and turbolasers are for some reason disabled, while the resistance's free virgillia class bunker busters are active and armed to the teeth with point defense cannons. This is a problem for the First order, basically taking the already underpowered first order fighters and not only forcing them to engage the superior t-70's, but they also aren't backed up by their mainline capital ship and are constantly underfire from the 12 or so turbolasers on the BB's. Fondor sucks with this too, not only is the Alliance under fire by the Octuple barbettes turbolasers on the ISD, but also the point defense cannons on the Satellites. To fix this just add 2 or so blockade runners for the alliance's use.

Death Star II does this perfectly, both the Empire and Rebel Alliance have their capital ships functioning, and punish the player for overextending, but rewards them for staying back near their capital ship.

Also astromech repair needs to be nerfed a bit. Every ship that has it has a large health pool to begin with.

Also bots in starfighter arcade don't understand how to use their abilities.
  • opdm90ajadgf.jpg
    cqq1ic6d6hdq.jpg
    10t194rx5puq.jpg
    8yj6zfn3n4pi.jpg

More skins.

• Starfighter Arcade needs to change, though. Unknown regions is heavily swayed in favor of the resistance. The First Order's resurgent battlecruiser's point defense and turbolasers are for some reason disabled, while the resistance's free virgillia class bunker busters are active and armed to the teeth with point defense cannons. This is a problem for the First order, basically taking the already underpowered first order fighters and not only forcing them to engage the superior t-70's, but they also aren't backed up by their mainline capital ship and are constantly underfire from the 12 or so turbolasers on the BB's. Fondor sucks with this too, not only is the Alliance under fire by the Octuple barbettes turbolasers on the ISD, but also the point defense cannons on the Satellites. To fix this just add 2 or so blockade runners for the alliance's use.

I am very much against any changes to SA, other than new content (lolz). The mode is fairly well balanced as is, any changes could end up breaking the mode entirely. Just look how the squad update, not even utilized in SA, has had a negative impact on the mode.

As for bunker busters and turbo lasers giving one side or the other an unfair advantage...destroy them! I always laugh at people being accused of "turret farming" when it makes great objective sense to clear them out. Fondor and Ryloth are the easiest to clear out as well, because they're in your sights almost immediately after the initial spawn. Endor is a bit of a stretch to clear turrets (unnecessary), and Kamino is a pain to clear them in the middle of all the fray, but it is worth it and it helps your team. It also gets you easy points...which is nice.
  • All I want is to be able to have my squad mate on my radar. You cant call this a team game when there is no way to find your teammate on the battlefield. Squad mates should have an arrow on the radar at all times.
    I think starfighter assault is good for the moment. Tie-FO should be buffed. Abnormally low health, even with a shield. Its outclassed and outgunned by the T-70.

It is not good for the moment. While gameplay hasn't been an issue as much, their have only been 5 maps since last jedi dlc which only added 1 more map out of the 4 original.
  • @F8RGE
    SA flows better without the spawn timer. Can you leave it off?

Thx.

Agreed, but on some maps/phases its change the balance a bit. I felt it mostly in Dqar as an attacker. Even u kill some defender ship between reaching an objective they will spawn instant which makes it harder to success with the objs
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• purist284
    62 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I'd hate to get your thread off topic, but it's SA related. Does anyone else ever get the funny glitch where when you're flying through an enclosed space, the camera angle changes slightly - but your blasters go off target also, until the camera returns to normal? It happens to me all the time, it's pretty subtle and easy to miss but once you see it, you can't unsee it lol. It bugs me because I lose points. I know I could probably find examples of it on my YouTube channel. I notice it often when attacking the generators on Unknown Regions, and also when attacking the core of Lucrehulk-Class Battleship. I'll see what I can do about editing up a clip to illustrate. If you guys do have this problem let me know and I'll post it as a separate thread if there isn't one already.
    Edit:
    For example, here's a clip of it happening to Darth Maul's blasters. It's pretty clear, they wildly flail up and down for a moment as I'm passing through an enclosed space. You have to skip to about 16:10, it happens a few seconds later.
    Give me back my Jetpack Cargo!! Pleeeeeaaaaaassssseeeeee!!!!
  • purist284 wrote: »
    I'd hate to get your thread off topic, but it's SA related. Does anyone else ever get the funny glitch where when you're flying through an enclosed space, the camera angle changes slightly - but your blasters go off target also, until the camera returns to normal? It happens to me all the time, it's pretty subtle and easy to miss but once you see it, you can't unsee it lol. It bugs me because I lose points. I know I could probably find examples of it on my YouTube channel. I notice it often when attacking the generators on Unknown Regions, and also when attacking the core of Lucrehulk-Class Battleship. I'll see what I can do about editing up a clip to illustrate. If you guys do have this problem let me know and I'll post it as a separate thread if there isn't one already.
    Edit:
    For example, here's a clip of it happening to Darth Maul's blasters. It's pretty clear, they wildly flail up and down for a moment as I'm passing through an enclosed space. You have to skip to about 16:10, it happens a few seconds later.

One of the many bugs that have existed since beta and till have not gotten fixed
  • Jett_Fett_91166
    4172 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Mode needs new content. Maps and or star fighters.

Also remove the spawn timer.
  • While we are getting reports of more devs moving back to BF2, we are almost certainly not going to see Criterion get involved again. Best we can hope for at this point is ports and re-skins. Only viable re-skins for the dark side would potentially be a Jango Slave ship and maybe a Hask Tie fighter. Schimitar/Tie Advanced/Tie Silencer are extremely character specific. That could potentially give the DS a total of seven fighters. LS already has seven fighters but more options for re-skins. Obi Wan and Anakin could get Arctis ships and we could get a Lando/Nien Numb Falcon (because...why not?). You could potentially bring in a Wedge X-Wing, but that would be a streeeetch. If they could find a way to even out the Hero ships to at least eight ships for either side, it would be a good count for a hero ship blast mode.

As for porting maps, they have already asked for community input if we would prefer new or ports, so they have the capability, it's just a question of resources. Maybe bringing on a couple more devs gives them the wiggle room to start getting new content, but it feels like they're bringing them on to refine the already announced content. Hope I'm wrong and this mode gets some of the love it deserves.
  • I feel like Ep 9 will be released by about 1 year now, which means they may be starting to work on a BF3. As the result, they may have to move the ressources back to Star Wars.

But a reskin of the actis could be fun for Anakin with as special capacities:
    - R2
    - Focused mind
    - Laser Barrage
    - Afterburner
    This would make it a hit and run ship!

Or why not the same with the N1 fighter with torpedoes instead of focused mind as Anakin wasn't a Jedi yet.

As I said, there may be a lot of funny possibilities with space battles, but I believe this may come for BF3. If they maintain a similar engine for the game, it could be easy to move content from BF2 to BF3 which means adding new ships could just be some tunning and modding while creating some space battle scenarios over starkiller could be quite "easy" as the map already exists. So they can artificially expand the content for "free". They just need to want it.
  • grimmace2 wrote: »
    While we are getting reports of more devs moving back to BF2, we are almost certainly not going to see Criterion get involved again. Best we can hope for at this point is ports and re-skins. Only viable re-skins for the dark side would potentially be a Jango Slave ship and maybe a Hask Tie fighter. Schimitar/Tie Advanced/Tie Silencer are extremely character specific. That could potentially give the DS a total of seven fighters. LS already has seven fighters but more options for re-skins. Obi Wan and Anakin could get Arctis ships and we could get a Lando/Nien Numb Falcon (because...why not?). You could potentially bring in a Wedge X-Wing, but that would be a streeeetch. If they could find a way to even out the Hero ships to at least eight ships for either side, it would be a good count for a hero ship blast mode.

Yes! Mostly i agree with this, but we dont need more falcons! But as a"skin"+sound option would be nice...Nien Numb+Lando voice plus a broken antenna. Jango Slave 1 is good idea, Hask also cause it takes low effort to put it in but at least its good for the balance. Obi-wan should get his Delta 7 while Anakin could be a legendary skin+Voice for Yoda
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• JMaster
    2284 posts Member
    Yeah, considering that Anakin and Obi-Wan could have the easiest re-colored ships ever, I'd really like to see the General at least get his craft. Ideally we could also get the Jango Fett Slave 1 recolor and some Delta 7s for Obi and Ani, but still.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Anyone else having difficulty getting a match of SA? Tried a few times last night but got nothing.
    @F8RGE is any work being done that would impact SA? Flight testing?
  • Anyone else having difficulty getting a match of SA? Tried a few times last night but got nothing.
    @F8RGE is any work being done that would impact SA? Flight testing?

I was able to play last night (I had the 5 matches milestone). Germany server and PS4. But, it was a steamroll for every match (we won all the time) with either lots of tickets as attackers or never getting past phase 1. That includes some breaks in between the matches.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • I read in the GG CT that the grid for HvV SA, along with the other HvV modes, is being altered to make room for new characters. So maybe we are getting something new for SA. Interesting.
  • I read in the GG CT that the grid for HvV SA, along with the other HvV modes, is being altered to make room for new characters. So maybe we are getting something new for SA. Interesting.

More than likely this is because of the addition of the N1 as a reinforcement ship.
  • Naboo starfighter should be playable in all Clone Wars era maps
    I'm love sand
  • I'm probably REALLY late on this, but when I watch SA gameplay videos, some users have little leading dots in front of the target. I never get these when i play.

Is it a setting or restricted to certain types of ship?

I don't think they're necessary but just curious
    I'm love sand
  • hilapff
    132 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I played a few SA yesturday, and most of the time it was one sided battles. I believe It was close for only 2 match while I played something like 8 games. The 6 others being ended quite quickly whether with many reinforcements, either after phase 1.
  • The EOR Matchmaking is killing this mode. People are tired of being thrown into near empty lobbies every second round, but the Devs don't think there is any problem and won't listen despite any evidence to the contrary (and there is heaps).

That aside, Endor is the map that needs tweaking the most. With the spawns set they way they are, especially in Phase 1, it is heavily stacked against the Imperial team. I mean why would Tie Fighters be launching about 1 km behind the Star Destroyer? It makes little sense to be honest. The spawns for the Imps need to be a bit closer and for the Rebels a bit further away in my opinion to try and give some semblance of balance to this map. In my experienced the Imps only ever win if they are so much better ability wise than the Rebels team, if the teams are near balanced skill wise, the Rebels will always win.
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • OK, I am not going to read the hundreds of replies in this thread, I just want to add my 2 cents in for what the OP original posted and said, so, here we go....
    hsf_ wrote: »
    So for those of you who enjoy Starfighter Assault, do you feel it needs any changes?

I personally have a couple of gripes, but I find this game mode to be fairly well balanced, especially when comparing it to Galactic Assault. As I said, I do have a couple of gripes and I think I'll start by mentioning the "looping" that goes on. It can be endless at times and it's often whoever breaks off first, dies first. I have a suggestion to fix this somewhat, but I'll talk about that at the end.

On the topic of looping, yeah, it's annoying. When I get caught up in a loop, it depends on the map. Some maps may have something nearby, debris in space, asteroids, parts of a ship or space station, where you "might" be able to break off and get behind these structures quick, putting them between you and the chasing starfighter. Even better if you have a speed boost, like for an Interceptor or some fighters. It's about the only tactic I can think of.

The problem is, many maps do not have this and have a lot of open space, or if they do, you may be too far away as the debris usually does not cover the entire map. Best tactic to use in this case would be to purposely take your starfighter and go right for whatever exists in the map that could be used as cover, and "hug" it while attacking other starfighters. Maybe dive in and out from cover. Who knows, maybe luring enemy starfighters towards this cover could be convenient.

What would be really cool is if the game had a way to call for help from teammates, and if those teammates actually did try to help allies caught in loops. I mean, when yu think about it tactically, what better set-up could there be than to have one teammate lure an enemy into a loop, then another teammate swoops in from the side to take the enemy out. And of that enemy breaks and flees, then both allies could swamp them hard and take the enemy out.
    Hero ships - I find myself getting hounded as soon as I pick a hero ship. Especially an easily recognisable one such as the Millennium Falcon or Darth Maul's Scimitar. I find my best chance for survival as a hero is to pick one that isn't easily recognisable, such as Iden's TIE fighter or Luke Skywalkers/Poe Damerons X-Wing. Again, I will go through my suggestion at the end.

I remember a while back starting a topic about adding a different game mode specifically for Hero Starfighters. I don't want to think I was the only one who posted about that, but if I was, I do remember that topic really taking off, and now we do have that game mode, so....you're welcome?

As for Hero Starfighters in Starfighter Assault, there's only, ONLY, ONLY EVER WILL BE, one answer to this problem......do not pick a Hero Starfighter! It's the only way to avoid that problem. There is no other way. If a person picks a Hero ship, you already know what's going to happen, and there's no way to prevent it. So if you go down that route, you know what to expect, suck it up, and no one needs to come on here and gripe about it, because it's pointless.

People pick those Hero ships because they're the "cool" ships, and everyone wants them. If you don't have the skill to stay alive in them, just leave them alone and stick with regular starfighters. Otherwise....stop griping, you know what you got yourself into, it's not gonna change, so suck it up and deal with it.

Personally, IMO, I know that sounds harsh, but I'm not that good with Hero ships either. In SA, if I get a Hero ship, I know what's coming, and hopefully someday I will have that kinda skill with enough practice, maybe, but I will not gripe....now that we have Heroes VS Villains Starfighters! (though, truth be told, that game mode still feels like it's lacking something...)
    There is a lack of maps - I think there are only 5 Starfighter Assault maps? I understand that there must be some variation with the objectives, it must also be difficult to keep coming up with unique objectives but Galactic Assault has a few similar objectives on different maps(Naboo/Hoth for example). Perhaps create Starfighter Assault maps for each Galactic Assault map available and add a new game mode which incorporates both modes(This was on the original Battlefront 2 so maybe copyright issues?)

Agreed here. Heck, if anything, I wish they'd just take some of the GA maps and use them for SA, and I wouldn't care if they have ground limiting the space. The map for Kashyyk would be fun, as there are plenty of trees to fly around, and we could even fly through the Venator on the ground too! (Tight fit with the bigger Hero ships, but I'm game!)

Another map or two I wish they would adapt for SA is Bespin and Takodana from the Campaign story. At one point, you play as Han Solo on Takodana, and near the end of the level you're flying the Falcon over the area. Nothing much to use for cover, just some beautiful ground terrain and the lake by Maz's castle, but I'd take it just for some more variety.

Bespin, on the other hand, has potential. During the campaign, Iden and the other guy on her side fly a pair of X-Wings through the Bespin atmosphere, around several massive floating lifeforms, some other obstacles, and there's also the star destroyers and the floating city/base/gas mining facility itself. It'd be perfect for SA! Plenty of stuff to interact with, and everything!
    More ship classes - Possible enforcer class ships which require 1000battle points instead of 2k/3k like the heroes? You know, similar to enforcer units in Galactic Assault like the Wookie/Death trooper. You could always use the N-1 Starfighter from Naboo as the rebel enforcer class for example(I've no intention of discussing whether that would be canon or not, nor do I care). Maybe even use "recovered" ships from previous era's or even a variation of the LAAT.

I agree with this too. Completely.

I have been thinking for a while that while the X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing have made their place in the game, there needs to be room for the B-Wing too to really flesh out the Star Wars lore and complete the set. And having the B-Wing as a reinforcement class would be prefect. It's a bit bigger than a normal starfighter, but not quite as big as Hero ships like the Falcon, and it was supposed to have stronger firepower than the rest of the Rebel starfighter fleet.

To balance this out, the Empire could have the TIE Defender, the TIE variant most fans would want to see as the B-Wing's opposite.

This would take care of the Rebel era, but still leaves out the Clone Wars and Resistance eras. For the Clone Wars, there are other starfighters that could fit the bill as reinforcements, with a little lore digging. But for the Resistance era, while the Resistance has that new bomber from The Last Jedi, the First Order doesn't have anything else to use yet. And that's the problem that would stop this from being done, unfortunately....(though this could be worked out somehow, like how the Resistance era already has no bomber ships to speak of).

I hope this gets fleshed out in the future, because starfighter reinforcements is a great idea. Personally, I wouldn't mind mixing the starfighters of different eras, like the do in HvV Starfighters, just for fun, just so DICE could make this happen.
    This next suggestion is the one I said I'd talk about at the end, it will probably divide a lot of you, but I feel would resolve a lot of gameplay issue's. I personally wouldn't be against removing as much of the HUD as possible for Starfighter Assault. Things like the revenge markers, missile lock-on against you(just use the beeping sound), and the one what will probably get enormous no votes - remove the circle that shows you where to aim. I'm doing corkscrews, backflips, 90 degree turns and people are tracking those movements like an aimbot, I am doing the same to others too, it's way too easy to aim(in my opinion of course!)

This is not a bad suggestion, but it could be refined. How about instead of removing these features, where many people wouldn't get a say in the matter.....instead, give the game the option for the player to have as much, or as little, of the HUD as they wish? For this, and for those who want (and can handle) more in their HUD, they could even add some options.

One thing I wish they would add is more information on the special abilities and star cards for troopers, reinforcements, starfighters, Heroes/Villains, and HV Starfighters.....well, everything. Like, when looking at a star card that grants or modifies and ability, it will mention seconds, or percentages. But we don't get the information that says now much or how long the base ability works in the first place. I wish we had THAT information so we could more precisely plan our tactics when choosing star cards for a class or something, before entering the game.
    I would like to go on record and state that Starfighter Assault is probably my favourite game mode. I also feel it's the one mode that needs the least amount of work done to it, it feels more polished and refined. Would like it added to Arcade too! ^_^

Agreed, Starfighter Arcade would be pretty awesome.....as for needing any more work, there's always room for improvement in something...

• @DeepFriedPorg has some awesome points

especially regarding the hero ships - they're designed to be killers - jump into one purely to rack up kills, playing the objectives will only make you an enormous target. You might be lucky and have teammates who defend you (much like defending the AI bombers)

I feel that having an enforcer class could destroy the game; as a regular starfighter/interceptor i often get up to 30-40 kills per match and an enforcer class could be way too powerful.

Instead of an enforcer class, try becoming an ace with the bomber class, in the right hands they can be extremely effective, but maybe not for everyone, and it depends on the map.

This has been said before regarding other game modes/nerf requests/class adjustments (im not directing this [email protected], but everyone) - sometimes changing your strategies can go a long way in improving your experience in the game, SA is actually pretty well-balanced overall.
    I'm love sand
  • The two modes in despereate need of new maps are Extraction & SA. Just two and six maps simply isn't enough and is getting boring. I really wish they would add at least one new map for each era in SA. 3 maps per era and 9 maps in total would be okay for me atm. there's so much potential for new SA scenarios: Death Star trench run (ANH), Battle of Scarif (RO), Battle of Coruscant (ROTS), Battle of Starkiller Base (TFA), Battle of Takodana (TFA), or even add a Bespin scenario. Really, really hoping for at least a few more maps.
  • Maybe if we start calling SA a fiasco we will get a dev to respond. Ridiculous.