criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

So.. Since we're now currently in a level-based progression rather than the crafting parts nonsense:

It won't be possible for infantry, but for special units, and heroes? Vehicles? More than possible.

Why don't we drop the need for only 3 star cards at a given time, and instead add the effect of ALL the cards, with the effect intensifying as your level increases.

Example: A Level 1 Yoda has no card effects. A level 40 Yoda has ALL the effects of EVERY card at Purple tier.

A level 1 AT ST has no damage increase or systems protection. A level 40 AT ST has faster recharge on the grenade launcher, faster auto repair, and whatever else the AT ST cards grant you.

A level 10 Palpatine has say, the grey effect from Lightning absorption and Lightning Range and In Full Control. A level 40 Palpatine has those effects purpled. Dark Aura Growth by 20%. Electrocute AoE increase and duration if it hits 3 targets.

For infantry, the cards outright change your loadout so you can pick and choose a playstyle; So it wouldn't work for them.

.....And also a full team with Bodyguard at Purple would render Bossk obsolete.

Thoughts?
Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"

Replies

• Deanna_Tamura
    317 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I do like the idea in general, BUT the effects of none equipped cards for Heros and vehicles need to be extremely reduced compared to what they grant when you actually equip it, like you said for Infantry the load out changes your abilities and it wouldn't work for them.
    Vehicles and Heros would become to powerful if they are given to much of the benefits from all the available cards, if done right i can see a lot of benefits from a system like that, right now the builds are pretty much set in stone for GA or HvV leaving many cards unused, with the addition of the Health on Kill cards it will be even more so.

It's kinda sad to see all the cards you could use but never do because their benefits simply not outweigh the lose of a spot for another card, i personally would for example tie the Health on Kill or Health on Ability not to a card but have them as passive standard abilities for the characters, increasing their Health gain based on the level like they do with the cards now, once you reach level 25 the give the highest possible and below according to your level.
  • I'd like to imagine a change like this would also mean deadweight hero picks for GA would get picked a lot more often, and abilities for them wouldn't need adjusting as much.

Imagine a level 1 Phasma. utter trash. Contributes nothing beyond the situational lockdown with the Droid. Now imagine a level 40 phasma, will literally every card effect purpled. You'd want to hit troopers with Staff Strikes 5 times to get that faster recharge for Survivor and the Droid. You'd want to keep blasting into chokepoints because Easy Shots. And the droid? dat radius.

She'd instantly become a much, MUCH more viable pick in any of the modes.

Kylo would become a lot better at disruption and lockdown than he already is.

Endless possibilities. And so much more tied to leveling, rather than just "These are the 3 main choices for GA, HvV and HS. "

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

• I still have crafting parts and I’m using them as long as I can whenever that will be
  • Crafting parts should be removed already and every thing should have a star card except vehicles. Remove star cards from vehicles and make then not spawnable meaning you can enter them on the map by pressing a button.
  • CornellAKABCM
    396 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I kinda like this idea. Levelling would serve a much better purpose rather than upgrading a bunch of cards that would just collect dust.

EDIT: As for the troopers, I can see the idea working for the Boost cards, but I do agree in that having all the effects for the Ability Cards wouldn't work since they either upgrade your abilities or replace them with something different. Those cards would still be selected as a result.
    Post edited by CornellAKABCM on
  • Great suggestion.
    jaye8inq1e0c.gif

8dh69o72w6hm.jpg

• Thing is, how would you level your heroes etc if they are totally garbage at the start, its not like regular troopers where you can continually spawn in and grind them up, heroes etc take BP, your chance of playing as them is low
  • Thing is, how would you level your heroes etc if they are totally garbage at the start, its not like regular troopers where you can continually spawn in and grind them up, heroes etc take BP, your chance of playing as them is low

HS. HvV. The odd HU here and there.

y6qvidach2x9.png

• I wan't a refund on all my crafting parts then.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif

Just like you do now, you play with them even if you haven't unlocked all cards, when Grevious comes out we all have to go through this again, there is also HvV and Hero Showdown to level them up.
  • I wonder if it is something @F8RGE might be able to push towards the devs. I'd even take the game shutting down for a few days to implement the changes. It'd have to be a pretty large patch, I could imagine.

I think it might even breathe fresh life into HvV, as with all Star Card purple effect, you'd really be able to determine who counters who, and how viable a certain character is in a given situation.

..The ONLY downside with this that I can think of is Leia's Squad Shield would have faster recharge and more health. And 90% of the time, people are completely disabled when they put it down.

y6qvidach2x9.png

• I hope one of the developers is able to take a look at this. I hate having a bunch of cards that don't get used.
  • It would make more of a division between new players and leveled players, making people new to the game not want to play which is the opposite effect of what people and companies want: I can't believe I'm gonna say this but, take Fortnite for example everyone is always equal in combat but you can still progress by getting aesthetics, which is probably a big reason for it being so popular.
  • Mcgherkin wrote: »
    It would make more of a division between new players and leveled players, making people new to the game not want to play which is the opposite effect of what people and companies want: I can't believe I'm gonna say this but, take Fortnite for example everyone is always equal in combat but you can still progress by getting aesthetics, which is probably a big reason for it being so popular.

"If only matchmaking was a thing" :D

y6qvidach2x9.png

• You need to work for dice
  • I'd lobe this to be added. Or, it could also be applied in a different way. Throughout a match, as you get points as a hero, you "rank up". Everytime you rank up, you have another card added to your hand. This could be shown at the bottom near your health, and be called a your Battle Level

Eventually, when you hit max Battle Level, all Star Cards that you have are equipped at once, making you a real threat. The problem is, the cards you have are only as powerful as you leveled them up to be. So say you have all cards for a hero unlocked, but some of them are Grey Tier. Then, while you increase your Battle Level during the match and obtain more cards into your hand, the cards that are Grey Tier only provide the Grey Tier effect. That way, there is still incentive to level them up.

Another idea I'd like to add is to add a new Tier to Star Cards. Currently, we have Common (Grey), Uncommon (Green), Rare (Blue), and Epic (Purple). What if we had a Tier above Epic, called Legendary. Now, this level would provide a large boost to the main attribute granted. However, it would also grant a new bonus effect.

If, however, this proves to be too OP, it can function similarly to the Battle Level idea. You first have to unlock the Legendary Tier in your collection. This could also have a unique way to unlock it, maybe milestones on top of being max rank for that Hero. When you first spawn in as said Hero, your cards are only at Epic Tier. However, you must complete the special requirements in order to rank up your Epic Cards to Legendary, and it only applies for that one match. Say, for instance, you have the Star Card that extends Vader's Saber Throw range. You purchase the Legendary version, but you then need to complete yhe special requirement in match to unlock and utilize it. Once you unlock it for that match, it will auto-equip and take over in place of your Epic Card. Continuing with Vader's example, say the special requirements is to kill 10 enemies with Saber Throw. Then, you automatically level your Card up to Legendary Tier, which grants 65% more range (15% more than the 50% increased range given by Epic Tier) as well as a moderate homing effect.

Another example could be Luke's Epicenter Card. For the Legendary Tier, you must kill 10 players with Repulse. Then, not only is the damage increased, but enemies that are knocked down remain grounded for a longer duration.

Or, perhaps we look at Leia's Squad Shield. Let's say you unlock the Legendary Tier for increasing its health. In order to use the Legendary Tier, you must block 10,000 damage during the match for it to become Legendary Tier. Not only shall it have 100 more health, but it will also constantly regenerate health over time (75hp per second).

I think you all get the point.
    TL:DR You must purchase the Legendary Tier Cards in your collection. You wouldn't start off the match with Legendary Tier Star Cards, but rather start with Epic Tier. After completing in-match requirements, it would automatically level up to Legendary Tier, which grants both a buff to the main effect and grants a new one as well.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • I'd lobe this to be added. Or, it could also be applied in a different way. Throughout a match, as you get points as a hero, you "rank up". Everytime you rank up, you have another card added to your hand. This could be shown at the bottom near your health, and be called a your Battle Level

Eventually, when you hit max Battle Level, all Star Cards that you have are equipped at once, making you a real threat. The problem is, the cards you have are only as powerful as you leveled them up to be. So say you have all cards for a hero unlocked, but some of them are Grey Tier. Then, while you increase your Battle Level during the match and obtain more cards into your hand, the cards that are Grey Tier only provide the Grey Tier effect. That way, there is still incentive to level them up.

Another idea I'd like to add is to add a new Tier to Star Cards. Currently, we have Common (Grey), Uncommon (Green), Rare (Blue), and Epic (Purple). What if we had a Tier above Epic, called Legendary. Now, this level would provide a large boost to the main attribute granted. However, it would also grant a new bonus effect.

If, however, this proves to be too OP, it can function similarly to the Battle Level idea. You first have to unlock the Legendary Tier in your collection. This could also have a unique way to unlock it, maybe milestones on top of being max rank for that Hero. When you first spawn in as said Hero, your cards are only at Epic Tier. However, you must complete the special requirements in order to rank up your Epic Cards to Legendary, and it only applies for that one match. Say, for instance, you have the Star Card that extends Vader's Saber Throw range. You purchase the Legendary version, but you then need to complete yhe special requirement in match to unlock and utilize it. Once you unlock it for that match, it will auto-equip and take over in place of your Epic Card. Continuing with Vader's example, say the special requirements is to kill 10 enemies with Saber Throw. Then, you automatically level your Card up to Legendary Tier, which grants 65% more range (15% more than the 50% increased range given by Epic Tier) as well as a moderate homing effect.

Another example could be Luke's Epicenter Card. For the Legendary Tier, you must kill 10 players with Repulse. Then, not only is the damage increased, but enemies that are knocked down remain grounded for a longer duration.

Or, perhaps we look at Leia's Squad Shield. Let's say you unlock the Legendary Tier for increasing its health. In order to use the Legendary Tier, you must block 10,000 damage during the match for it to become Legendary Tier. Not only shall it have 100 more health, but it will also constantly regenerate health over time (75hp per second).

TL:DR You must purchase the Legendary Tier Cards in your collection. You wouldn't start off the match with Legendary Tier Star Cards, but rather start with Epic Tier. After completing in-match requirements, it would automatically level up to Legendary Tier, which grants both a buff to the main effect and grants a new one as well.

Even this would make it so much more interesting than the basic "Ok, it's GA so I need HoK and then.. Probably these two.. Yeah.."

Some Star Card options are brilliant. Other characters have essentially only 4-5 possible choices for whatever reason, in any given game mode.

y6qvidach2x9.png

• KresusFIN wrote: »
    I'd lobe this to be added. Or, it could also be applied in a different way. Throughout a match, as you get points as a hero, you "rank up". Everytime you rank up, you have another card added to your hand. This could be shown at the bottom near your health, and be called a your Battle Level

Even this would make it so much more interesting than the basic "Ok, it's GA so I need HoK and then.. Probably these two.. Yeah.."

Some Star Card options are brilliant. Other characters have essentially only 4-5 possible choices for whatever reason, in any given game mode.

It would breath some more life into the game. Imagine the seemingly weak and useless cards no one uses. Like, in GA, I'd say very few people use Maul's Star Card that increases the distance thrown. Yeah, at Epic Tier, it doubles throw distance, but as nice as that is, it isnt nearly as important or impactful as his HOK Card, Blaster damage reduction, decreased cooldowns, or extra Spin Attack. However, if it also pinned enemies to the wall or ground for a second before they could get up, it would be a much better option.

Or if you pick Lando's Smoke Grenade cards (really any of them) and, say, it grows over the duration to be 50% larger than it was initially, you could make an entire room blanketed in smoke. Makes a nigh useless card become one of the best at disorienting an enemy team.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • bfloo
    16099 posts Member
    Mcgherkin wrote: »
    It would make more of a division between new players and leveled players, making people new to the game not want to play which is the opposite effect of what people and companies want: I can't believe I'm gonna say this but, take Fortnite for example everyone is always equal in combat but you can still progress by getting aesthetics, which is probably a big reason for it being so popular.

Progression systems in mop games was the worst addition. Before progression it was a level playing field, not you need to grind to meta status for an equal footing.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Bad idea because it removes the ability for players to customise a hero to suit their playstyle or the particular scenario.
  • I think it would push a lot of players away from the game. Only a few players have mastered a lot heroes (I only miss Grievous currently on 30 and Finn currently on 28) and the players like me or other experienced players would be to op.. I don‘t like this concept. In addition to that I think not having every star card and having to choose 3 cards make your picks individual :)
  • CornellAKABCM
    396 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Bad idea because it removes the ability for players to customise a hero to suit their playstyle or the particular scenario.

Not if the heroes have all their effects active once their level is high enough, like @KresusFIN is suggesting. It only wouldn't fully work for troopers since they have 2 sets of cards as opposed to heroes, reinforcements, ships, etc. I could see troopers' Boost Card effects being active all at once, but the Ability Cards would still have to be selected. Those would still be limited to 3.
    Post edited by CornellAKABCM on
  • I think it would push a lot of players away from the game. Only a few players have mastered a lot heroes (I only miss Grievous currently on 30 and Finn currently on 28) and the players like me or other experienced players would be to op.. I don‘t like this concept. In addition to that I think not having every star card and having to choose 3 cards make your picks individual :)

Normally I'd very much agree with the individuality aspect of it.

But let's face it. Pretty much every player runs cloned loadouts for their heroes.

"Oh, it's GA. HoK, this, and that. Done."

"Ahh. HvV. This, this and this."

Never any diversity at all. Especially given how some heroes have absolutely ***** options viable for EITHER mode.

y6qvidach2x9.png

• Hey @F8RGE, any takes on this?
  • Hey @F8RGE, any takes on this?

Genuinely curious if this'd be a direction they'd eventually want to take it towards. Either that or a very severe star card rework. Like say, 1 extra slot per 10 levels?

y6qvidach2x9.png

• KresusFIN wrote: »
    Hey @F8RGE, any takes on this?

Genuinely curious if this'd be a direction they'd eventually want to take it towards. Either that or a very severe star card rework. Like say, 1 extra slot per 10 levels?

That could work, too.
  • Would make heroes feel extremely powerful as they should.
    Current Topics:
    Leia Improvements
    Heroes vs Villains Improvements
    Staff Strikes Improvement

m3s3leriptmd.png
    PSN / Twitter: PlayersPurity

I will not stop complaining until DICE update Leia's Hoth skin's sideburns and add some for Rey!!

• KresusFIN
    2817 posts Member
    Would make heroes feel extremely powerful as they should.

With the coming of the clone wars lightsabers, I feel Anakin especially, and to an extent, Dooku and Obi-Wan would be well and truly broken. But that aside, I really do think that the Star Cards need to go, and it should all be tied to level.

Mind you, some of these would be double edged swords. You rarely want increased push distance with Maul and Luke, for example. So eh.

Even so..

@EA_Charlemagne (You've never laid eyes on this gem of a thread, I presume. )

y6qvidach2x9.png

• Balance would be thrown right out the window.

I like it.

• Imagine Grievous equipped all his cards. Thrust surge card will make you one hit heavies. Claw rush card will make you one hit infantries and same for unrelenting advance. Grievous would be way better. Cant say that for Yoda though.
  • KresusFIN
    2817 posts Member
    Imagine Grievous equipped all his cards. Thrust surge card will make you one hit heavies. Claw rush card will make you one hit infantries and same for unrelenting advance. Grievous would be way better. Cant say that for Yoda though.

Yep.

I honestly can't say I'd mind this. Grievous is trash in GA as is, so anything to improve his viability = I'll take it.

Probably wouldn't make him a prime GA pick regardless, but i suppose he'd be a force to reckon with for the opposition during HU or smth.

y6qvidach2x9.png

• Palatine would be absolutely disgusting lol

• Would be nice as a option in arcade mode, it would break online play though
  • Would be nice as a option in arcade mode, it would break online play though

Online's already broken in every meaning of the word because of the lack of balance, as well as the constant bugs and breaks that happen every update due to the Frostbite engine. I don't see how it could get much worse in all honesty.
  • IIPrest0nII
    4901 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    @PlayersPurity

Please do not necro/bump old threads.

Closed.
    Star Wars Battlefront Community Forums Moderator
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!