criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

New Game Mode : Duel

Grievous32
93 posts Member
edited November 2018
Hello there !

First of all, I'm french so sorry in advance if I make some mistakes in this comment !

I played a lot of Heroic Confrontation (I don't know the real translation of the game mode, but it's the 2 v 2), and what I really like is the moment when 2 lightsaber wielders fight in a 1 v 1 epic duel.

The idea is to create a new game mode where we will have this 1 v 1 type of combat just like in 2 v 2, 3 rounds to win but ONLY with lightsaber wielders.

Some areas of different maps are absolutely awesome for this kind of duel.

For example :
  • The generator room where there is the epic duel between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul
  • The 2 huge rooms in Kamino (there are already in the Heroic Confrontation)
  • The interior of the huge tree on Kashyyyk
  • The final phase on Tatooine where there is the U-Wing
  • The open place in the center of the forest of Takodana from the Heroes vs Villains game mode
  • The first point to capture on GA on Takodana
  • Return of the cryo chamber on Bespin !

This is just some examples of what could be a little area where we could have a good fight in 1 v 1.

EDIT : Also to make the combat much more epic... As in Galactic Assault or Starfighter Assault, the great soundtrack from epic duels from the movies like Battle of the Heroes, Duel of the Fates, Clash of the Lightsabers etc. would play in the background !

UPDATE 11.05.18 :
  • Heroes would be neutral to allow players to make duel between 1 Hero and 1 Villain, 2 Heroes or 2 Villains (Luke vs Vader / Luke vs Yoda / Vader vs Maul)
  • This addition could be a possibility to add new voice lines between these legendary characters, for example Maul talking to Vader just like in Star Wars Tales 9 : Resurrection

Any thought about this ?
Post edited by Grievous32 on

Replies

• Yes that would be a lightsaber heroes only game mode ! I didn't precise it, I'll edit my post to be more clear.

Thanks !
  • Grievous32 wrote: »
    Yes that would be a lightsaber heroes only game mode ! I didn't precise it, I'll edit my post to be more clear.

Thanks !

Ohhhh okay. Even a better concept! Especially if they added new saber mechanics.
  • I thought also it would be great to improve the lightsaber duel system into something more complex but not really difficult.

At this moment, it's a matter of how you manage your stamina, then dodge if you're hit or are low in stamina, defend yourself to prevent attack with a lightsaber or with the Force.

I thought about something a long time ago that I want to list in different point.
    • Everything would be exactly the same as it is now with extra add
    • When you defend yourself, the attacker can still continue to attack you
    • Defend yourself needs more stamina than the attacker use to attack you
    • When the lightsabers clash, the defender can press the attack button while he's defending himself to make a counter (C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER)
    • When a counter is made, the attacker lose twice more stamina
    • When a counter is made, the attacker is stun and can be hit by the defender and the role are now interchanged
    • When 2 players attack at the same time, the lightsabers will lock (just like the powerful strike in Battlefront 2015)
    • When lightsabers are locked, the 2 players have 3 seconds where they are invincible to let the duel run, and this is the first player who press the attack button the most who will stun the enemy to strike him and become the attacker

I think it would be "easily" added in the game. By easily I don't mean it would not need a lot of work, but it would clearly work with the current gameplay of lightsaber wielders.

Hope you'll like this idea.
    I thought also it would be great to improve the lightsaber duel system into something more complex but not really difficult.

At this moment, it's a matter of how you manage your stamina, then dodge if you're hit or are low in stamina, defend yourself to prevent attack with a lightsaber or with the Force.

I thought about something a long time ago that I want to list in different point.
    • When the lightsabers clash, the defender can press the attack button while he's defending himself to make a counter (C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER)
    • When a counter is made, the attacker is stun and can be hit by the defender and the role are now interchanged
    • When 2 players attack at the same time, the lightsabers will lock (just like the powerful strike in Battlefront 2015)
    • When lightsabers are locked, the 2 players have 3 seconds where they are invincible to let the duel run, and this is the first player who press the attack button the most who will stun the enemy to strike him and become the attacker

I think it would be "easily" added in the game. By easily I don't mean it would not need a lot of work, but it would clearly work with the current gameplay of lightsaber wielders.

Great concept! However, I have one question. How would abilities be included?( force slam, mind trick, freeze, etc?)
  • This is another example of everyone wanting every genre shoved into a single game instead of developing new ones. Terrible idea.
  • There’s been so many times when I’ve been in an epic duel with another light saber user in HvV or HS and then another enemy jumps in and interrupts it. Would love a 1v1 mode.
  • Coyoteyou wrote: »
    Grievous32 wrote: »
    I thought also it would be great to improve the lightsaber duel system into something more complex but not really difficult.

Great concept! However, I have one question. How would abilities be included?( force slam, mind trick, freeze, etc?)

I think it would be just as they are now to not change everything, just add things to make it more interesting. I don't think my idea is incompatible with the current system of attack/defense/abilities.

The only thing to change is to let the attacker continue to attack when he hit the defense of the defender instead of being pushed back and stunned a moment. This stun would be the result of a counter when the defender press defense and attack at the same time, at the right moment where the attacker hit the defender.
  • This is another example of everyone wanting every genre shoved into a single game instead of developing new ones. Terrible idea.

Why not ? If you played Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast or Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, you probably see there were blasters... It's not only a 3rd person action game, it's also a FPS and I don't want to see something as complex as Jedi Knight in Battlefront, but just something a little more complex.

I don't understand why you think it's a terrible idea, I'm listening to you if you have something to explain me your point of view.
  • New potential map: mustafar lava rig. The site of the iconic duel between obi wan and anakin
    New potential map: mustafar lava rig. The site of the iconic duel between obi wan and anakin

Totally ! I added something in the first post you would probably love !
  • Great addition! May I add one more track? RO Darth Vader Galway scene music
    Great addition! May I add one more track? RO Darth Vader Galway scene music

In a mix with another track to make it longer because this part of "Hope" is only 40 seconds, but hell yes, it would be great !
  • I don't like 1v1 modes, but my only experience was Overwatch. So, I'm sure Battlefront II will at least do it better.

#JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • Unwarycoin wrote: »
    I don't like 1v1 modes, but my only experience was Overwatch. So, I'm sure Battlefront II will at least do it better.

I wish you to live a 1 v 1 lightsaber duel on Battlefront II with someone skilled. You'll see how cool it can be ! :wink:
  • This is for that kind of duel that I would completely love to see a game mode based on lightsaber wielders combat !

(to 5 min)

Of course not everyone will play this gametype but I think it would be a nice addition and a good way to play great lightsabers fight, or to improve your skills in lightsabers duel !
  • There's already a duel mode. It's in Arcade in the versus mode section for console owners/split screen.
  • Azelrazel wrote: »
    There's already a duel mode. It's in Arcade in the versus mode section for console owners/split screen.

Seriously, if you don't have something smart to say, don't say anything... You totally understand what I suggest is to allow it in a Matchmaking between people who are not on the same console... I can't believe I read that kind of comment...

Agreed..... this game already suffers from trying to be good at all game styles while suffering/being abandoned in its most basic form: the multiplayer shooting game it’s supposed to be. No thanks with the duel mode. How about they create new shooting modes or improve the ones they already have.
  • How about they add private matches then we can 1v1, 2v2, 8v8, or 20v20 for that matter. This should have been in at launch imo along with a fov slider for the console guys. Played a little ps4 this wkend and felt like Shaq playing on Jabba’s Palace; pc runs so much better and the fov slider is a huge advantage imo.
  • How about they add private matches then we can 1v1, 2v2, 8v8, or 20v20 for that matter. This should have been in at launch imo along with a fov slider for the console guys. Played a little ps4 this wkend and felt like Shaq playing on Jabba’s Palace; pc runs so much better and the fov slider is a huge advantage imo.

Yep private match would also be cool but I don't want only private match for 1 v 1. And it would be possible easily.
  • You should also be able to play whoever force weirder you’d like, no matter the alignment. With 1v1 factions are irrelevant.

So Maul vs Grevous.. or, wait for it... Obi-Wan vs Anakin.
  • 1v1 is a good idea as long as its saber on saber or blaster on blaster. Could be very satisfying and fun game mode. +1
  • You should also be able to play whoever force weirder you’d like, no matter the alignment. With 1v1 factions are irrelevant.

Oooooh nice one ! I didn't think about it ! Love this idea !
  • Awesome Idea, Both Heroes should start with Increased HP though, if anything to lengthen the duels like in the Movie.

Darth Maul and Yoda Need lightsaber blocks as well

Hit Stun needs to be removed when blocking an opponent, like this:
    n2kmzkumosck.gif

Do all these 3 things and this would definitely bring life back into the Hero modes. Bring back Heroes unleashed as well and make it permanent in the Heroes Tab. No good reason not too.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Awesome Idea, Both Heroes should start with Increased HP though, if anything to lengthen the duels like in the Movie.

Darth Maul and Yoda Need lightsaber blocks as well

Hit Stun needs to be removed when blocking an opponent, like this:
    n2kmzkumosck.gif

Do all these 3 things and this would definitely bring life back into the Hero modes. Bring back Heroes unleashed as well and make it permanent in the Heroes Tab. No good reason not too.

Wow, is this a mod on PC ? I really love it ! Also notice my second comment where I add some little things to the lightsaber gameplay.

About Maul and Yoda, I agree they should be able to block, even if it's just 3 or 4 hits to not totally kill their gameplay.

But I'm not sure we need to increased the life of Heroes. It's to the players to be careful, playing with the life they can regain.
    But I'm not sure we need to increased the life of Heroes. It's to the players to be careful, playing with the life they can regain.

I hate short lightsaber duels, they're uninteresting and kinda buzz kills. Kinda like the brief duel between Grievous and Obi-wan. I was thinking something more in-line with Anakin vs obi-wan. Not artificially lengthened by block spam and running. To circumvent this, when block stamina is exhausted getting struck 2-3 times refreshes it. Maybe a similar system or dumbed down version of For Honors defense mechanics. Map needs to be small or barriers erected to prevent endless running as well.
    xnvLDB.gif

Great, now I want this mode so I could battle Anakin on Mustafar (obviously I'll have the high ground, also I do want to see that in game now).

#JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • Unwarycoin wrote: »
    You should also be able to play whoever force weirder you’d like, no matter the alignment. With 1v1 factions are irrelevant.

Great, now I want this mode so I could battle Anakin on Mustafar (obviously I'll have the high ground, also I do want to see that in game now).

So much this. Faction neutral saber duels, Great Idea! Needs to have an epic soundtrack playing in the background as well it totally completes any saber duel.
    xnvLDB.gif

I hate short lightsaber duels, they're uninteresting and kinda buzz kills. Kinda like the brief duel between Grievous and Obi-wan. I was thinking something more in-line with Anakin vs obi-wan. Not artificially lengthened by block spam and running. To circumvent this, when block stamina is exhausted getting struck 2-3 times refreshes it. Maybe a similar system or dumbed down version of For Honors defense mechanics. Map needs to be small or barriers erected to prevent endless running as well.

I know but the lightsaber duels in Battlefront II can be very long sometimes, more than 5 minutes between 2 players of the same level. If we increase the HP, we could unbalance the game which has been created like this for good reasons.

I thought about small map, just a little part of them like the first terroritory to capture in the first phase on Takodana

I know but the lightsaber duels in Battlefront II can be very long sometimes, more than 5 minutes between 2 players of the same level. If we increase the HP, we could unbalance the game which has been created like this for good reasons.

I thought about small map, just a little part of them like the first terroritory to capture in the first phase on Takodana

This would fix most problems with the aforementioned 1v1 mode in Overwatch, this could be fun.

#JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget

I have yet to see a "duel" between two players that didn't involve running last more than 2 mins. That was well before the dodge nerf which basically rendered a need for this to be non-existent. Again, blocking endlessly and running is what artificially lengthens these duels which would make this mode even more cancerous than HvV and Heroes showdown combined.

This is why saber combat and block/stamina mechanics would need to change if this were added, in addition to the HP increase. Somewhere around 1.5-2k for both Saber Heroes. More Points awarded for damage dealt as well and unrestricted for better XP gain per match as well.

xnvLDB.gif
  • Grievous32
    93 posts Member
    edited November 2018

I have yet to see a "duel" between two players that didn't involve running last more than 2 mins. That was well before the dodge nerf which basically rendered a need for this to be non-existent. Again, blocking endlessly and running is what artificially lengthens these duels which would make this mode even more cancerous than HvV and Heroes showdown combined.

This is why saber combat and block/stamina mechanics would need to change if this were added, in addition to the HP increase. Somewhere around 1.5-2k for both Saber Heroes. More Points awarded for damage dealt as well and unrestricted for better XP gain per match as well.

What do you think about my idea in the top of the thread where I explain how to improve lightsabers duel ?

Edited for content. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • AbyssWatch3r
    4883 posts Member
    edited November 2018

What do you think about my idea in the top of the thread where I explain how to improve lightsabers duel ?

I like your re-works, but doubt it'll see the light of day because the Devs will have to go back and re-animate saber clashes. I'm just hoping for some fluid combat like the gif I posted. Maybe an alternative to saber clashes is removing hit-stun when both users strike at the same time. Making for a cinematic clash instead of @AVGNs sig.
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Grievous32
    93 posts Member
    edited November 2018

I like your re-works, but doubt it'll see the light of day because the Devs will have to go back and re-animate saber clashes. I'm just hoping for some fluid combat like the gif I posted. Maybe an alternative to saber clashes is removing hit-stun when both users strike at the same time. Making for a cinematic clash instead of @AVGNs sig.

The gif you posted is exactly what I thought in my comment. But we need something to strike back and be able to attack the enemy before he totally drain our stamina. That's why I suggest the Counter by pressing "attack" when the lightsaber of the enemy hit our defense.

Of course, the lightsaber clash is probably not for this game, but the gif you show here and the counter could really be easily to implant in the game to make the lightsabers duel a little more complex.
  • Hero Duel?- I’m in
  • EA_Cian
    1225 posts EA Staff (retired)
    I've removed a hefty chunk of posts from this thread. Let's please keep it civil, thanks.
  • TiNie
    172 posts Member
    Absolutely, we need a lightsaber only duel mode, this is Star Wars not fortnight.

Well, that's the same problem with the ST developers. They and here especially Rian Johnson never ever understood Star Wars OT. Before the ST everybody was talking about how familiar they were with Star Wars growing up and such things, but if you see what they did you do understand that this was only a hypocrisy.

There are enough gamers who like to see a duell modus, this was already mentioned many times before.
    My suggestion was canceling HvV and HS and creating a HvV Modus with X vs X, X= 1, 2, 3, 4 and how course a different concept than killing a specific target. It should also be possible to have a match X vs (X-1), so that 2 vs 1 combats would be possible.
    Thanks and Greetings
  • I disagree about Rian Johnson... It's not the subject, but Rian Johnson used the 2 first trilogies in his Episode VIII... Those who said he just made a **** to fans should rewatch the 6 first episodes because EACH negative things I read from people who disliked Episode VIII can be justified with things from the 6 first movies.

Anyway, I like the idea of the duel 2 v 1 etc. It was already in Jedi Knight Jedi Academy but if it's not possible to do it in matchmaking, it could be in private match that I hope to see one day in this game.
    Anyway, I like the idea of the duel 2 v 1 etc. It was already in Jedi Knight Jedi Academy but if it's not possible to do it in matchmaking, it could be in private match that I hope to see one day in this game.

By the way. Was it Jedi Academy beeing possible to break a force choke with a force push or something else?
    I don't think there will every be a "privat", arcade duel match. Why don't they use server browsers anymore? I would guess with the current method they get full matches. If you could play private matches, I would believe it would be much harder to find enough people for GA or a bigger announced mode.

I am supporting your opinion of course!
  • TiNie wrote: »

By the way. Was it Jedi Academy beeing possible to break a force choke with a force push or something else?

Yep, you were able to do that !

Thanks for the support. Really hope to be able to prove our skills with a lightsaber in an epic duel one day !
  • TiNie
    172 posts Member
    TiNie wrote: »

Yep, you were able to do that !

Thanks for the support. Really hope to be able to prove our skills with a lightsaber in an epic duel one day !

Thanks for replay. There was a discussion in this forum, if a force choke could be broken, if it was broken or how it could be broken. So in my opinion there should not be any force ability that you cannot block as a force user if you are aware of. As you can see in EP3 when Yoda was absolut suprised by Sidious force lightning and vice versa.

I think we are not alone. There a lot of gamers wish to have light saber duels. If have already spoken with some gamers while waiting for HvV and discussing this in other forums. I would not call me a supporter, I would say I would expect this mode in SWBF2.

By the way. One evening my team mate and me had luck with our opponent. They were really nice and you could talk with them. So we agreed to do 2 duels in HS. While the first too were fighting, the others watched. After the first duel was over, the others fought their duel. If the winners were from different sides, there had been a 3rd duel.
    Because I love force users, that's what Star Wars stand for with me, I have several lightsaber duels, that never took so long. The others played with blaster epics. Even if we had 3 duels it was always enough time and we finished it in under 5 min.

So maybe this could be an option for a short time. You can play with 3 other friends you know. It is even possible to get a HvV with 8 friends, 4vs4. You have to be both on the same server at the same time. That is not impossible to handle.
    Well, I am a PC player so if you challenged me, than you should have a PC. And I would accept.
    Thanks greetings and be sure you are far far away to be alone with your wish.
  • I love the idea but I wanna see iconic Duel Maps as in the movies.
  • Zyder wrote: »
    I love the idea but I wanna see iconic Duel Maps as in the movies.

Yes, I know, me too, just like I said with the example of the cryo-chamber on the Cloud City ! I hope to see this game mode one day !
  • We know now we will have the stagger removed !

Now I just wish to see :

- counter (attack when you're defending yourself, at the right moment when the attacker's lightsaber hit your guard)
    - lightsabers lock (when 2 players attack at the same time, then press attack button quickly to win the duel and be the attacker)

If we don't have these 2 features, then the defender will only stay in defense until the attacker or him/herself is out of stamina... The fact is a counter could allow to the defender to strike back and invert the role, and the locked lightsabers could prevent the moment where 2 players just attack at the same time until one of them die. It would also add more strategy and cinematic style in the duel.