criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Do Not balance, nerf or buff heroes for any mode until you fix saber combat

It's obvious saber combat is at an all-time low. Blocking doesn't work 70% of the time. Multiple times I've been blocking with full stamina in a 1v1 against Vader, Maul, Grievous and Kylo and take FULL damage from each of their swings even though the animation shows I blocked it. This is rock bottom for saber combat since launch.

Do not nerf anything.
Do not buff anything.
Do not balance anything.

Fix. Saber. Combat. First.

You 100% cannot balance anything correctly in the current state of combat. For example, stamina means nothing right now when combating the DS. If combat was working correctly, Grievous would lose stamina too fast and you could easily counter him. But if every swing breaks your block, then obviously the stamina battle means nothing. Nerfing Grievous' damage output is a bandaid on a shotgun wound. I don't mind waiting two months the way it currently is if we can get real saber combat in that update. But any kind of balance you try to make now will completely break Multiple characters once saber combat is fixed.

Seriously. Everyone needs to stop with the nerf and buff requests at the moment. We need to address the real issue.

Replies

• I can agree to this. Lightsaber combat is so broken almost died in GA cause Obi wan block stops working but i was still holding up my saber. But obi wan does need a buff though & while he's good in GA with purple cards he is terrible in HvV & his abilities need buffing in that game mode. Even if saber combat gets fixed he's terrible
  • +1 Yeah, all this needs fixing.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • Clone201
    3640 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Right now, if you try to outplay your opponent, you'll be punished for it. In order to be successful, you have to jump into a fight between two other people and spam right trigger. This mode is so trash...

They might as well just remove it at this point :D .
  • I completely agree with you. Block is broken as most abilities...
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • I can agree to this. Lightsaber combat is so broken almost died in GA cause Obi wan block stops working but i was still holding up my saber. But obi wan does need a buff though & while he's good in GA with purple cards he is terrible in HvV & his abilities need buffing in that game mode. Even if saber combat gets fixed he's terrible

No buffs until saber combat is fixed. We need real analysis of how these characters perform while abilities work as intended first.
  • Psy3d
    496 posts Member
    Due to broken block Obi wan is just there to die in HvV. You have be always on the move. If kylo or Grievous gets you in their saber spam you're pretty much dead or will be in next few seconds. So yes please devs fix basic saber combat before any more tweaks or nerfs.
  • Clone201
    3640 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Psy3d wrote: »
    Due to broken block Obi wan is just there to die in HvV. You have be always on the move. If kylo or Grievous gets you in their saber spam you're pretty much dead or will be in next few seconds. So yes please devs fix basic saber combat before any more tweaks or nerfs.

A part of that goes to how Grievous and Kylo can attack lightsaber blocks without being staggered for a bit unlike others. All saber users should have that feature, especially Maul imo.
  • I would agree to this, but DICE needs to be transparent on what they're going to do with it. Last time they said revamp, all we got some stamina system adjustment. Now we have another passing comment from F8RGE on Reddit that it's being adjusted again.

Maybe if they told us what that meant, the community could help, but right now I can only assume it'll be close to the same.
    PSN: Atreus-213
    Xbox One GT: Atreus215
  • Atreus213 wrote: »
    I would agree to this, but DICE needs to be transparent on what they're going to do with it. Last time they said revamp, all we got some stamina system adjustment. Now we have another passing comment from F8RGE on Reddit that it's being adjusted again.

Maybe if they told us what that meant, the community could help, but right now I can only assume it'll be close to the same.

Any chance you could post the Reddit comment?
  • They should only have a stamina system for blocking in my opinion. I've said we should do away with it before but I think I was wrong about that. Very unrealistic though to see Jedi and Sith get exhausted by swinging their sabers for over 5 seconds. No more swings draining stamina...

One more thing lol. Darth Maul should get to block, and the Emporer needs a lightsaber (that can also block)
  • I'm not holding off on that Luke buff until saber combat gets fixed. I agree that it needs to be fixed, but I see no reason why we should wait to buff Luke.
  • I'm not holding off on that Luke buff until saber combat gets fixed. I agree that it needs to be fixed, but I see no reason why we should wait to buff Luke.

Okay. Sounds good. Go ahead and keep asking the Devs to make the same mistakes over, and over, and over again. Who cares, right? As long as my precious Luke can hold his own with broken combat in a poopy broken game mode. Don't worry, they'll listen to you and ignore me.
  • Remove the knock back stagger on a block, Kylo and Grievous can 100% not be punished if they mash and immediately block again. Everyone else is repelled back and open for any Easy Counter attack. Broken.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • No one will ever be happen with anything lol
  • Defbored wrote: »
    No one will ever be happen with anything lol

I'm happy that I have Obi Wan at level 25 so I don't have to play HvV again until Dooku comes out in January.
    I would agree to this, but DICE needs to be transparent on what they're going to do with it. Last time they said revamp, all we got some stamina system adjustment. Now we have another passing comment from F8RGE on Reddit that it's being adjusted again.

Any chance you could post the Reddit comment?

tdzb7bs3qvzn.png

3kozhonr1n1d.png

li94gqe3nujx.png

Not terribly hard to track comments like this here:
    https://www.reddit.com/user/F8RGE

Luke can hold his own vs most villains and hes fine in GA as well im not saying there is no room for buffs but they are not needed right now.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • I do agree saber combat is insanely broken right now it needs to take priority why is the blocking mechanic even a thing if its not going to work properly?
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • It's obvious saber combat is at an all-time low. Blocking doesn't work 70% of the time. Multiple times I've been blocking with full stamina in a 1v1 against Vader, Maul, Grievous and Kylo and take FULL damage from each of their swings even though the animation shows I blocked it. This is rock bottom for saber combat since launch.

Do not nerf anything.
    Do not buff anything.
    Do not balance anything.

You 100% cannot balance anything correctly in the current state of combat. For example, stamina means nothing right now when combating the DS. If combat was working correctly, Grievous would lose stamina too fast and you could easily counter him. But if every swing breaks your block, then obviously the stamina battle means nothing. Nerfing Grievous' damage output is a bandaid on a shotgun wound. I don't mind waiting two months the way it currently is if we can get real saber combat in that update. But any kind of balance you try to make now will completely break Multiple characters once saber combat is fixed.

Seriously. Everyone needs to stop with the nerf and buff requests at the moment. We need to address the real issue.

i agree with and support this thread. that being said, i think combat responsiveness in general is substandard. how many times have you hit an ability with any hero only to have it do nothing except use the cool down? this seems to happen with just about every hero i play and always at the most crucial times. i really think they need to devote all of december to bug fixes and reworks like this. think about how long it took for them to fix lukes saber attacks, only to break han and vader in the process. so they really need to get started on some of this stuff or they will continue to lose players. think about it, why pay for and play a 'beta' when you could play other finished games that are up to these standards? im not sure what we can do as a community to get this game in optimal working order but, whatever it is im on board. it has had far too many issues for far too long, if it wasnt star wars i wouldnt still be playing tbh.
  • unit900000 wrote: »
    I'm not holding off on that Luke buff until saber combat gets fixed. I agree that it needs to be fixed, but I see no reason why we should wait to buff Luke.

Luke can hold his own vs most villains and hes fine in GA as well im not saying there is no room for buffs but they are not needed right now.

Correct. Buffing characters right now is a waste of time and resources. I wouldn't even bother fixing broken abilities, tbh. What's the point? There's no way of telling what is too powerful or not if simple blocks are broken.

All resources should be put into fixing saber combat.
  • PSN: Atreus-213

Yeah, very good to hear. Hopefully nothing gets broken between now and then.
  • Thechosen1_anakin
    5549 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Atreus213 wrote: »

Apparently there's gonna be a parry system as well judging by another of his cryptic comment
    Post edited by Thechosen1_anakin on
  • I hope this is the December update, the anticipation!
  • Agree that saber combat is in the worst state it has been since the game launch. I'd love it if they brought it back to before the arial saber strike damage was removed. Compared to everything since then, it was great.
  • awakespace wrote: »
    Agree that saber combat is in the worst state it has been since the game launch. I'd love it if they brought it back to before the arial saber strike damage was removed. Compared to everything since then, it was great.

I haven't felt like there's been a consistent and fluid combat experience since the game launched. Even in BF2015 there were epic moments where sabers would lock together and each side could pull away and have an equal chance of winning the contest. This game has been melee spam since launch. Maybe I'm just finally fed up because Obi Wan is here and I've been waiting for this moment.
  • It's obvious saber combat is at an all-time low. Blocking doesn't work 70% of the time. Multiple times I've been blocking with full stamina in a 1v1 against Vader, Maul, Grievous and Kylo and take FULL damage from each of their swings even though the animation shows I blocked it. This is rock bottom for saber combat since launch.

Do not nerf anything.
    Do not buff anything.
    Do not balance anything.

Saber combat?! What saber combat?! There is no saber combat system in this game.. And whatever system there is in the game, is pure garbage! 2017-2018 and they still can't manage to actually have a system that replicates the movies. Hell! The JK series (JO and JKA) managed it pretty damn well and they were released at pretty much the start of the century.
  • Clone201 wrote: »
    Psy3d wrote: »

A part of that goes to how Grievous and Kylo can attack lightsaber blocks without being staggered for a bit unlike others. All saber users should have that feature, especially Maul imo.

I'm okay with the ability to attack without staggering. However, once you burn through all your stamina trying to attack, you shouldn't be able to out hit your opponent once they engage. It's just a R2 spamfest. The penalty should be on the player that burned all their stamina hacking into a hunkered down defender.

Even as it is though. Whether they stagger or not, they will inflict 100% damage into a blocking character with or without stamina. Saber Combat is 100% broken.

I say this everyday. spamming swing rewards players over the tactical block and dodgers

Apparently there's gonna be a parry system as well judging by another of his cryptic comment

Either parry, strong attacks or something else. Let's wait until we get confirmation before we hype ourselves.
    May your heart be your guiding key.

Do not nerf anything.
    Do not buff anything.
    Do not balance anything.

Saber combat?! What saber combat?! There is no saber combat system in this game.. And whatever system there is in the game, is pure garbage! 2017-2018 and they still can't manage to actually have a system that replicates the movies. Hell! The JK series (JO and JKA) managed it pretty damn well and they were released at pretty much the start of the century.

Yeah man. I completely agree. The lack of saber combat is just one of many reasons I don't play HvV. Of course, each time a new hero is released you have no choice but to play that trash mode if you want to level up the hero quickly. It's awful. Of course, when Grievous came out it was apparent that saber combat was a mess like it always has been, but trying to get Obi Wan leveled up just highlights how bad it actually is. A hero who's main trait is high stamina and defense can't block, melee consistently or dodge out of attacks. It's ridiculous. Anyway, I got Obi Wan to level 25, so I will be avoiding HvV until Dooku arrives or a full rework is done on HvV which includes the target system and saber combat.
  • Rivershark56
    2628 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Atreus213 wrote: »
    I hope this is the December update, the anticipation!

I hope so as well, but I doubt it. My guess is January 30th we'll get the Dooku update and if we're lucky it will include a revamped saber combat system.

Edit: This is why I said I was fine waiting a couple months for a saber combat fix as long as they do it correctly and don't break anything else between now and then.

Do not nerf anything.
    Do not buff anything.
    Do not balance anything.

Yeah man. I completely agree. The lack of saber combat is just one of many reasons I don't play HvV. Of course, each time a new hero is released you have no choice but to play that trash mode if you want to level up the hero quickly. It's awful. Of course, when Grievous came out it was apparent that saber combat was a mess like it always has been, but trying to get Obi Wan leveled up just highlights how bad it actually is. A hero who's main trait is high stamina and defense can't block, melee consistently or dodge out of attacks. It's ridiculous. Anyway, I got Obi Wan to level 25, so I will be avoiding HvV until Dooku arrives or a full rework is done on HvV which includes the target system and saber combat.

Do not nerf anything.
    Do not buff anything.
    Do not balance anything.

There's nothing fun about that kind of combat. It's just worthless spam. I think you could have done a little blocking earlier in the conflict in a hope to bait his freeze but even so, it's just poop. I found most my success with Obi Wan just getting into a blocking position prior to any kind of engaging was the best recipe for success. When his block works, it's a beast. I blocked saber spam from Vader, Kylo and Maul at the same time for a good 15-20 seconds and then somehow countered and killed Maul before dying. So Obi Wan isn't trash. Saber Combat is...

Do not nerf anything.
    Do not buff anything.
    Do not balance anything.

Oh, I avoid that game mode like the plague! I was and still am SEVERELY disappointed with the "saber combat system" in the game.. And have been since launch. Like you say, there's nothing fun about that kind of combat, where it's just hold block and you get spam attacks. There's literally no animation of sabers clashing or anything that even remotely resembles an intuitive, engaging cinematic lightsaber duel and this is where heroes vs villains fails, horrendously. Not just the game mode, but the actual combat between the characters, themselves. When we saw the cinematic of Kylo duelling Rey in Maz's castle and Vader duelling Luke on the walkway, I was so pumped and hyped that we were actually gonna get a cinematic saber duelling system like the STAR WARS games have needed, for years. But what do we get? A p*** poor attempt at what you could consider a mix of "no saber combat" system to a "TFU hack 'n' slash combat" system. Very poor, indeed!

I actually hope RESPAWN manage to finally get it right, with 'Jedi: Fallen Order' (And even then, it'll be the last and final game I buy from EA). So, they have that game to actually make amends and finally get it right.. If not? Then, well.. I will have lost faith in EA's ability altogether.. Not that it could actually sink or get any lower, right now anyway. But you get the idea..

Do not nerf anything.
    Do not buff anything.
    Do not balance anything.

Oh, I avoid that game mode like the plague! I was and still am SEVERELY disappointed with the "saber combat system" in the game.. And have been since launch. Like you say, there's nothing fun about that kind of combat, where it's just hold block and you get spam attacks. There's literally no animation of sabers clashing or anything that even remotely resembles an intuitive, engaging cinematic lightsaber duel and this is where heroes vs villains fails, horrendously. Not just the game mode, but the actual combat between the characters, themselves. When we saw the cinematic of Kylo duelling Rey in Maz's castle and Vader duelling Luke on the walkway, I was so pumped and hyped that we were actually gonna get a cinematic saber duelling system like the STAR WARS games have needed, for years. But what do we get? A p*** poor attempt at what you could consider a mix of "no saber combat" system to a "TFU hack 'n' slash combat" system. Very poor, indeed!

I actually hope RESPAWN manage to finally get it right, with 'Jedi: Fallen Order' (And even then, it'll be the last and final game I buy from EA). So, they have that game to actually make amends and finally get it right.. If not? Then, well.. I will have lost faith in EA's ability altogether.. Not that it could actually sink or get any lower, right now anyway. But you get the idea..

Yeah. The management of this game has been incredibly disappointing. It's actually really surprising that Disney would continue to put up with such awful management of their franchise. It is what it is.
  • gibran5000 wrote: »
    i really think they need to devote all of december to bug fixes and reworks like this.

Didn't you know? They're basically taking December off, due to mandatory national holiday time. (IIRC)
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • Billkwando
    1486 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Shenmue is nearly 20 years old, and it had a one button parry system that puts this game's combat system to shame......and fighting was only one small part of it....it was also the very first console sandbox game, and invented the QTE! It was a big budget game at the time, but nothing compared to the awesome monetary power of STAR WARS.

Watch some of this. This is just me parrying with the correct timing, not even attacking. The angle of the attacker (primarily) determines which type of parry Ryo performs.

and that's not even bring Bushido Blade into the conversation. That game was on the original Playstation, yet still has better sword combat than this game. It's what, 25 years old?
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• Billkwando wrote: »
    gibran5000 wrote: »
    i really think they need to devote all of december to bug fixes and reworks like this.

Didn't you know? They're basically taking December off, due to mandatory national holiday time. (IIRC)

Yup. That's why any significant changes won't happen till late January at the earliest. Hopefully they'll at least turn on Heroes Unleashed on their way out the door for holiday.

Yup. That's why any significant changes won't happen till late January at the earliest. Hopefully they'll at least turn on Heroes Unleashed on their way out the door for holiday.

They can turn on double XP while they're at it! Phasma needs a new pair of chrome shoes!
    ZI7BNkU.gif

Billkwando wrote: »

They can turn on double XP while they're at it! Phasma needs a new pair of chrome shoes!

I am all about that! As much as I love Starfighter Assault, leveling hero ships is a long tedious road and I don't have unlimited time to play, so 2XP would be graciously accepted. My favorite mode is Heroes Unleashed (followed by Galactic Assault) and I don't really want to spend 4 months of constant Starfighter gaming to level hero ships.