criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Forest of Endor

Starfighter Assault Thread

Replies

• this and the extraction thread deserve a reply at least just tell us it isnt happening so we can move on to other things. as long as there is hope we will continue to discuss it.

my fellow pilots, there will come a time when they try to break our will.
    they will try to quiet us down.
    they will try wait us out with no update until we give up.
    they will try to divert our attention with updates to other modes.
    They will try

But we shant be moved by these meager efforts. nothing will quiet us until there is and update on star fighter assault future content. good or bad. Yoda, we must know.
  • hilapff wrote: »
    Looking at the thread, sure we need to keep it clean. I believe they prefer not having to shut it down following some bad behaviour here...

Looking at the barrage, what's the problem? I don't get killed very often by barrages. To be fair, just a few times. I mostly play as interceptor, sor when a missile is following me, either I use the boost to unlock it, either I do a few circles at full speed and loose them once again. The issue is not to be shooted by the main weapon when doing circles. When I play as fighter, I have to use the circle ethod but most of the time, barrage missiles don't one shot if your R2 is repairing the **** so that's an other trick. As bomber, you don't care about barrage missiles if you have all your life. But as I said, I mostly play interceptor and barrage missile is not that much a concern.

That's funny they adapt the size of the aim circle depending on how far away is the foe since the update. I'm quite sure the aim assistance is still the same, so that reducing the size of the circle just help us to shoot the hit box and not all around the foe at long range.

First thanks for asking and welcome to the forums.

I think the bombers barrage ability needs a slight buff in damage and a little better targeting so you can launch all missiles at one target/objective and have the damage to individual targets increased. It seems you have to be right on top of the target, almost to the point of collision, to get all missiles to lock on without it targeting other enemy pilots. As an example for the DS debris map, as the TIE bomber, I will have one of the large mines in very close range and launch the missiles. If an enemy pilot flies by soon after I launch the barrage, one of the missiles will target the pilot and not the mine. If the missile does veer off to target you in your A-wing, the individual missile damage should be increased to get your attention, as opposed to the bug on the canopy effect it currently has. Might want to make those individual missiles tacking a little harder to evade as well.
    With all fighter classes leveled and maxed eons ago, (I, along with many others, should at least be a Squadron Leader at this point), and with only a few hero ships left to max, I still main a ptfo mentality no matter what I'm flying, so it can lead to some frustration when the barrage goes off target or is ineffective.
    If I remember correctly, DICE actually nerfed the TIE/Hyena bomber barrage before launch as during the SA reveal it was quite deadly and appeared to be on par or better than the Y-wing's ION turret in terms of impact. Maybe DICE went a little to hard on that barrage nerf. Also I'd like the ability to dumb fire the barrage where you can just point and fire as can be done with the Y-Wings torpedo. The TIE and droid bombers should create a little more fear/concern in enemy pilots in battle than they currently do. These are the reasons I'm asking for the buff to the bombers barrage ability. That and I can't bring myself to ask for a nerf on almost anything in this game.
    #StarWars-y
    Looking at the thread, sure we need to keep it clean. I believe they prefer not having to shut it down following some bad behaviour here...

Looking at the barrage, what's the problem? I don't get killed very often by barrages. To be fair, just a few times. I mostly play as interceptor, sor when a missile is following me, either I use the boost to unlock it, either I do a few circles at full speed and loose them once again. The issue is not to be shooted by the main weapon when doing circles. When I play as fighter, I have to use the circle ethod but most of the time, barrage missiles don't one shot if your R2 is repairing the **** so that's an other trick. As bomber, you don't care about barrage missiles if you have all your life. But as I said, I mostly play interceptor and barrage missile is not that much a concern.

That's funny they adapt the size of the aim circle depending on how far away is the foe since the update. I'm quite sure the aim assistance is still the same, so that reducing the size of the circle just help us to shoot the hit box and not all around the foe at long range.

First thanks for asking and welcome to the forums.

I think the bombers barrage ability needs a slight buff in damage and a little better targeting so you can launch all missiles at one target/objective and have the damage to individual targets increased. It seems you have to be right on top of the target, almost to the point of collision, to get all missiles to lock on without it targeting other enemy pilots. As an example for the DS debris map, as the TIE bomber, I will have one of the large mines in very close range and launch the missiles. If an enemy pilot flies by soon after I launch the barrage, one of the missiles will target the pilot and not the mine. If the missile does veer off to target you in your A-wing, the individual missile damage should be increased to get your attention, as opposed to the bug on the canopy effect it currently has. Might want to make those individual missiles tacking a little harder to evade as well.
    With all fighter classes leveled and maxed eons ago, (I, along with many others, should at least be a Squadron Leader at this point), and with only a few hero ships left to max, I still main a ptfo mentality no matter what I'm flying, so it can lead to some frustration when the barrage goes off target or is ineffective.
    If I remember correctly, DICE actually nerfed the TIE/Hyena bomber barrage before launch as during the SA reveal it was quite deadly and appeared to be on par or better than the Y-wing's ION turret in terms of impact. Maybe DICE went a little to hard on that barrage nerf. Also I'd like the ability to dumb fire the barrage where you can just point and fire as can be done with the Y-Wings torpedo. The TIE and droid bombers should create a little more fear/concern in enemy pilots in battle than they currently do. These are the reasons I'm asking for the buff to the bombers barrage ability. That and I can't bring myself to ask for a nerf on almost anything in this game.

The targeting of the barrage ability is horrible. Using your same example, I would love to be able to shoot all my missiles against the cruisers instead of launching them at their turrets, because the ability decided to do it. Maybe they could let us launch all the missiles into one target by holding the button?
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • That’s odd I swear I dumb fire the three rockets by double tapping. Normally i start with the regular torpedo dumb-fired against the mine and immediately follow up with dumb-fire the triple.

I’ll have to keep an eye out on where they go because I honestly thought they hit true.

pH
  • @Jett_Fett_91166 , I'm no longer a shiny on the forum nor on this thread. Even though I don't post often, it's been a few months I'm reading and posting.

It's true that the missile barrage is quite broken to use. It would be really nice to shoot all the missiles on one target or choose them. But it's quite the same with the aim assistance and the "basic" missile. Sometimes I'm following a target, an other foe flies between us and the aim assistance switches by itself between the two... And so the missile lock. Would be nice to have a command to change foe targetted by the aim assistance.

To go back to the Y-Wing and TIE bomber / IENA bomber comparison, to my mind they are quite balanced. The Y-Wing's ion turret is a mess but having to do circles to avoid missiles is a mess too. And the countermeasures protects the TIE / Iena quite effectivelly when purple. I've toped lobbies both with the Y-Wing and the Iena / TIE bombers.
  • Does anyone play Hero Starfighters Mode anymore? Would love to level up a few without having to resort to 80 kills to buy a Hero fighter only to be destroyed in 2 minutes.
  • dirgerex wrote: »
    Does anyone play Hero Starfighters Mode anymore? Would love to level up a few without having to resort to 80 kills to buy a Hero fighter only to be destroyed in 2 minutes.

It’s my main. Thing is after the new update I can’t get past the lag.

If you’re trying to play on D’Qar, DS2 or underneath the structures of Kamino, you’re dead the moment you spawn.
  • hero star fighter never works for me. either it takes forever to find a match or o 3nd up not leveling the hero ships any faster since as soon as you die you spawn as a regular ship.
  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    dirgerex wrote: »
    Does anyone play Hero Starfighters Mode anymore? Would love to level up a few without having to resort to 80 kills to buy a Hero fighter only to be destroyed in 2 minutes.

If you’re trying to play on D’Qar, DS2 or underneath the structures of Kamino, you’re dead the moment you spawn.

Are you on PC, PS4 or XOne? PC never has games on any ping site for HSF. Sad.
  • stevenomes
    4670 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    anyone know how to find specific enemies on the map quickly? this has happened to me multiple times I play and the same guy is getting 7-8 kills on me. sometimes hes there as soon as I spawn and sometimes it takes a minute but he will find me and hunt me. I know if I die it highlights him as nemesis for a short time but does it also highlight the victim? how can they find me so quickly in the mass of ships all over?
  • stevenomes wrote: »
    anyone know how to find specific enemies on the map quickly? this has happened to me multiple times I play and the same guy is getting 7-8 kills on me. sometimes hes there as soon as I spawn and sometimes it takes a minute but he will find me and hunt me. I know if I die it highlights him as nemesis for a short time but does it also highlight the victim? how can they find me so quickly in the mass of ships all over?

Bad luck most likely. I have killed the same guy after he respawned a few times without trying. If you know the maps, you probably know where people will be spawning from and can act accordingly. Unless you killed him and he used the revenge marker.
  • Think you're just up against a good player combined with a little bad luck. There was probably 4 or 5 pilots all thinking, "Man, does this guy have it out for me alone?" :)
  • dirgerex wrote: »
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    dirgerex wrote: »

Are you on PC, PS4 or XOne? PC never has games on any ping site for HSF. Sad.

Ahhh. I feel your pain. I’m on PS4. Sorry.

pH
  • Think you're just up against a good player combined with a little bad luck. There was probably 4 or 5 pilots all thinking, "Man, does this guy have it out for me alone?" :)

yeah that's what I was thinking. like what did i do to you? then I finally am able to evade and dont die right away but this pilot just tails me in circles I try to fly over debris, get near other teammates in hopes to shake him but to know avail. he eventually kills me and guess who? it's the same guy that killed me the last 4 times.
    Think you're just up against a good player combined with a little bad luck. There was probably 4 or 5 pilots all thinking, "Man, does this guy have it out for me alone?" :)

yeah that's what I was thinking. like what did i do to you? then I finally am able to evade and dont die right away but this pilot just tails me in circles I try to fly over debris, get near other teammates in hopes to shake him but to know avail. he eventually kills me and guess who? it's the same guy that killed me the last 4 times.

He doesn’t like you!

• He doesn’t like you![/quote]

I don't like you either! :p
  • i guess i better watch myself. they're wanted men.

Yesterday I had a match like that. One guy was just spawning and heading in front of me... I think I killed him 4 or 5 times in phase one of a space assault before he rage quited. Sorry for him but I shoot first at what's in front of me...

Then I had a SA over Kamino where two guys, the two leaders were just shooting me down every spawn... That's the game.

Sometimes, when battles are quite balanced, it happens I shot a guy, he uses the orange stuff to shoot me, and we go to a viscious circle where I shoot him with the revenge stuff, he gets the revenge and he shoots me. After 5 minutes of 1v1, we try to avoid each other...
    stevenomes wrote: »

Sometimes, when battles are quite balanced, it happens I shot a guy, he uses the orange stuff to shoot me, and we go to a viscious circle where I shoot him with the revenge stuff, he gets the revenge and he shoots me. After 5 minutes of 1v1, we try to avoid each other...

And that is exactly why I dislike the Revenge marker

Not a huge fan of those but it's a sign of respect in my opinion if you go back and forth with one player a few times. I generally only go after people if I've been popped several times in a row by the same player. I'll follow the revenge marker and pop them, they'll do the same, I'll do the same. Usually after the second or third go round, I'll have popped them and the cycle ends. It's almost like a tip of the cap. "Okay, I know you have skills, let's both move on to other things."
  • I've thought about changes to SA and here is my list:

1. Give the Imperial/ Separatists star fighters equal footing with the Rebels/ Resistance. The TIEs are awful, with the TIE Interceptor and FO Interceptor being practically useless. YMMV.

2. Boost the SA speeds at least 25%. Everything feels far too slow when compared with the movies and other canon sources.

3. Maul's Scimitar, Boba's Slave One are paper cannons. Maybe more health to start with or better armor or shields.

4. More maps. I cannot stress this enough! Look at the previous posts and see how many maps and assets are already in-game and would make wonderful SA maps!

5. If you call something Galactic Assault, where are the space battles? Why can't they run concurrently with the FPS guys? Talk about something that would be amazing, think about the huge battles that could be had.

6. More maps again. It's important.

Don't give up on us, please.

- Thrux

1. Give the Imperial/ Separatists star fighters equal footing with the Rebels/ Resistance. The TIEs are awful, with the TIE Interceptor and FO Interceptor being practically useless. YMMV.

I disagree with that. TIE fighters and bombers aren't awful, even if they are different from the X/Y-wings. FO Interceptor are actually decent and I use them instead of the fighter version.

Other than that I completely agree with you. Campaign maps could be repurposed with some recycled assets like capital ships and destructible objectives. If DICE can create a map like Geonosis, they can clearly create decent SA maps with already existing assets. The worst part is they have a great starfighter asset that they refused to use for anything else than a single phase on a GA map. Dennis at some point even hinted at atmospheric maps which would be a great way to give a starfighter asset an SA map. Give us an atmospheric Naboo map. Use big capital ships as cover if necessary. You can make them move around to have some "dynamic cover" if necessary. I know DICE can do it.

At the beginning, I believed the TIE were very bad. However, it's not true. There is IMO three parameters that make the TIE feel bad:
    - The TIE fighters have their cannons on the middle of the ship. As the result they don't need the cannons to focus on the target. This is good for very accurate players as it shoots where you aim, but bad for the others as the focus systems of the weapons can't be an additionnal aiming assistance (downside: sometimes this assistance follows the target with the white circle and not the one you are aiming). Most of the light side ships have the cannons on the side of the ship which make the cannon focus system an additional aiming assistance.
    - The second thing is the TIE has a square hit box which makes bit way bigger than a A-Wing (for the interceptor). It might be similar in term of volume to the X-Wing one. This may be why they look cannonglass.
    - The third thing is the post combustion / R2 deal. With most light side you can prolongate your life by reparing your ship while the TIE can only escape missiles and fighters with its post combustions.

All in all, fighting with a TIE is way different to fighting with a X-Wing / ARC-170. With LS ships, you go in the middle of the battle, hit quite easily with the focus system, repare if you get too much damage and dogfight in the middle of the match. With a TIE, you have to hit (barrage, missile) and run (post combustion). Don't try to dogfight as you'll get destroyed if there is a few foes arround. To be fair, I'm slightly better with a X-Wing than a TIE fighter. But give me a A-Wing or a droid interceptor and I'm at my best! But this way of fighting corresponds to the idea that the TIE is a mass production low cost fighter with powerfull weapons but light shield.

For those who have a doubt about this cannons focus trick, just play the Scimitar in arcade mode and you'll understand. If you don't maintain your aiming point in the circle for a few tenth, your left lasers will be miss the larget by the left, the right ones by the right hand side. It's just a focus trick. You may notice that too with the barrage from the TIE. If you're at short range, you may notice the lasers won't head straight forward if you don't aim exactly the foe's circle.
    I've thought about changes to SA and here is my list:

At the beginning, I believed the TIE were very bad. However, it's not true. There is IMO three parameters that make the TIE feel bad:
    - The TIE fighters have their cannons on the middle of the ship. As the result they don't need the cannons to focus on the target. This is good for very accurate players as it shoots where you aim, but bad for the others as the focus systems of the weapons can't be an additionnal aiming assistance (downside: sometimes this assistance follows the target with the white circle and not the one you are aiming). Most of the light side ships have the cannons on the side of the ship which make the cannon focus system an additional aiming assistance.
    - The second thing is the TIE has a square hit box which makes bit way bigger than a A-Wing (for the interceptor). It might be similar in term of volume to the X-Wing one. This may be why they look cannonglass.
    - The third thing is the post combustion / R2 deal. With most light side you can prolongate your life by reparing your ship while the TIE can only escape missiles and fighters with its post combustions.

I hadn't considered this, and after two matches on the Imperial Side (Fondor, Endor) I followed your suggestion and the TIE is good again! Thanks for the perspective.

- Thrux

• just tried the new circle. Mixed feelings but like it in general. Requires bit more skill to hit and you survive more because enemies cant hit you as easily lol
  • duvelsuper wrote: »
    just tried the new circle. Mixed feelings but like it in general. Requires bit more skill to hit and you survive more because enemies cant hit you as easily lol

Totally agree 😁
  • JMaster
    2257 posts Member
    Uh... anyone else here okay with them replacing the Concussion Missiles on everything they're on? Give the TIE Interceptor a Trooper Bane-like ability similar to last game that increases cooling and/or damage output from the last game? Give Slave 1 a Barrage or limited time Explosive Shot from the chest guns from Attack of the Clones? No? Just me? Alright...
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • SA needs new content please.
    #StarWars-y
  • Death star space battle, then trench run, and bespin clouds even ported from battlefront 2015 would be the least to add...
  • Bumped for more content for SA.
    #StarWars-y
  • After playing SA with the new reticle... I actually like this UI change (it feels like the revenge markers and the crosshairs are a bit different too). They "DICE"fied the aim circle. With that I mean they made it work more like Battlefront I. If you don't aim (left trigger with a gamepad) the circle is shorter. If you aim, "you be more accurate". That makes it harder for "new/bad players" to play good (it's easier to notice now with all the new players around).

This change actually made me think a little bit. What is the point of changing something like that that is part of the core mechanics of the mode? Why now if the mode is supposed to be left out? This change doesn't affect GA much and I doubt they did it for Hero Starfighters. Maybe they could have done to help people survive on that mode, but I seriously doubt that is a good reason for doing that. So... Could it be that is some kind of first step to start developing new maps for SA? Try to make the mode familiar to them (since the basic features were developed by Criterion) so they can easily develop new maps for it? I won't hype myself, but it could be a new glimmer of hope.
  • Just have plenty of ideas to suggest for new SA maps. Examples would be like Hoth where Rebels need to do something like escorting their transport during their evacuation while the Empire must destroy them, or Coruscant where the Separatist must break through the Republic defences for ground assault on the planet while the Republic must stop them (a bit similar to Star Wars: Clone Wars animated series), or Starkiller Base where the Resistance must destroy several structures in order to weaken or expose the weakness of the superweapon while the First Order must stop them.

To give you a better idea for a Hoth SA map, here's one video about a game called Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike with a bonus mission called Escape from Hoth. Skip to timestamp 5:38 to start seeing the Hoth space battle. During that part of the mission, numbers of rebel transports continues to leave the planet one by one, though it serves no purpose other than just to be there as part of the the atmosphere. There are also, of course, TIE Fighters and a few Star Destroyers.

eexdnrk3k6au.png
    27wvwa3hc9va.png
    PSN: FriedPizza773
  • Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 is my favorite Star Wars game of all time. If Dice included B-Wings and Tie Hunters from that game into this one, that would be sweet. A space version of Geonosis with Obi Wans starfighter and Jango Fetts Slave one would be the best dogfight ever!
  • Some GA maps already have a huge air space. Add some scenarios and you may create a new battle mode like dogfight, defend / attack the cuiser, etc...
    This could easily be done on Hoth, Naboo, Kashyyyk, Tatooine, Starkiller (the air space is quite small), Crait or even in the solo maps.
  • Jett_Fett_91166
    3978 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    hilapff wrote: »
    Some GA maps already have a huge air space. Add some scenarios and you may create a new battle mode like dogfight, defend / attack the cuiser, etc...
    This could easily be done on Hoth, Naboo, Kashyyyk, Tatooine, Starkiller (the air space is quite small), Crait or even in the solo maps.

Interesting you say that. I was playing some GA on Naboo and jumped in the N1, as it is the only time we get to fly it, and it does seem that DICE raised the ceiling height for star fighters on Naboo. Naboo would certainly be fun and Kashyyk is a great suggestion as well. Maybe DICE is planning something similar to what you are suggesting. I would not mind seeing some campaign maps from this game or SWBF 15 FS atmospheric maps like Sullust, Tatooine and Bespin added to SA if possible.
    As far as modes, yes there is a lot of potential. Bomber escort mode where the bombers attack ground targets, like AT-AT's, gun emplacements, supply depots and so on. Unfortunately with no FO bomber class, that mode would not work for ST. Trooper escort mode where the object is to get reinforcements to their drop zones with minimal losses would work for all eras.
    SA needs new content.
    edit:spacing
    #StarWars-y
  • The only thing I want ( apart from more maps ) is to remove the 3rd person view, the game would be really more skill oriented with a cockpit only view !!
  • hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    joejinis wrote: »
    The only thing I want ( apart from more maps ) is to remove the 3rd person view, the game would be really more skill oriented with a cockpit only view !!

Have you seen Yoda's cockpit view? It's like looking through a keyhole from 20miles away.
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    The only thing I want ( apart from more maps ) is to remove the 3rd person view, the game would be really more skill oriented with a cockpit only view !!

Have you seen Yoda's cockpit view? It's like looking through a keyhole from 20miles away.

Yeah. I try to tell people about Yoda's cockpit and it's like they don't believe me. LOL

It's shocking that the game released that way. I mean, give little dude a phone book to sit on or something.

I play first person mode in any flying game they will let me......except this one. I just feel like it's poorly implemented, or like there should be more than one view (Nose cam, cockpit, etc). Something about it doesn't sit right, or in the case of our little green friend, someone doesn't sit right.

ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • Billkwando wrote: »
    hsf_ wrote: »

Yeah. I try to tell people about Yoda's cockpit and it's like they don't believe me. LOL

It's shocking that the game released that way. I mean, give little dude a phone book to sit on or something.

LOL! 🤣🤣🤣
    Billkwando wrote: »
    I play first person mode in any flying game they will let me......except this one. I just feel like it's poorly implemented, or like there should be more than one view (Nose cam, cockpit, etc). Something about it doesn't sit right, or in the case of our little green friend, someone doesn't sit right.

Totally agree! Yoda's ship in first-person view feels uncomfortable. 😐
    PSN: FriedPizza773
  • Seronax
    548 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    new maps, even if it would be the same mechanic forexample, Ryloth in Naboo version, that would be nice, just like reverting the falcon hp nerf
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• Man, have they responded yet?
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    GenxDarchi wrote: »
    Man, have they responded yet?

Nope, sent another message last night.
  • hsf_ wrote: »

Dang. We should've made a bunch of smaller threads so they would have to combine it into a mega thread.
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• GenxDarchi wrote: »

Dang. We should've made a bunch of smaller threads so they would have to combine it into a mega thread.

This is a megathread
  • GenxDarchi wrote: »

This is a megathread

So they just merged them and didn't even reply?
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• Disappointing to see nothing in the CT about SA as well as the radio silence.
    #StarWars-y
  • hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    edited December 2018

This is a megathread

So they just merged them and didn't even reply?

No, this is a single thread. I don't think there has been any merged into it.
    Edit: I put "megathread" in the title about 2 weeks ago and IronSoldier removed it, that's the most attention this thread has got from a dev/mod.