criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Obi Wan After Update

I got to play Obi Wan 4 times (HvV) after the recent patch an hour or so ago. Love the new skin! He also seems quicker which is great! Before, he played as if he was retaining water. I still find myself in situations where I'm just blocking the whole time. With other Heroes I can get out of a bad situation but I'm not really able to with Obi Wan. He's very reliant upon having a good team (whereas Rey or Kylo, I've carried many games solo). I felt a few times like Obi Wan just won't attack anything. Two different Grievous' blocked most, if not all of my attacks, then quickly spider knocked me over and defeated my level 40 Obi Wan in just 3-4 whacks. Maybe the developers have some trepidation when introducing a new Hero so instead of making them powerful, they see how they "blend" and work with other Heroes. He's not the Obi Wan vs. Anakin Episode III power I hoped for, but he's still cool!

Replies

• awakespace
    931 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I think you are onto obi-wan's main issue. His abilities aren't really good at helping him in sticky situations. This is antithetical to his role as a master of defense...

I agree that this patch makes him better.

Right now there is an issue with the dark side because Kylo and Grievous don't stagger back when blocked, so it's really hard to counter in any other way than spamming R2 and hoping the other dies first, which feels dumb and non-skill-based. This will obviously change whenever saber combat changes come into effect. But still, in the present, I feel any other saber hero (Luke, Rey, and Yoda) is much more survivable and capable when facing multiple enemies.

These are simple tweaks detailing how I would change him:

Defensive Rush: Being able to dodge out of the Defensive Rush and having it block saber attacks helps - but I think he needs to go faster and cover more ground and block all attacks (force, blasters, sabers) from all angles. I'd also like it if he could jump out of it like Rey and Han can.

Mind Trick: Is very situational: I think it needs maybe another second base, and needs to have more impact on blocking saber users. I say it should make them unable to block. This would even the field a bit more so opponents would either have to jump or attack.

Push: Needs more base distance (similar to Yoda's uncharged), so it can be tapped and knock people back. Remember it is still a very small cone so needs to be aimed. And honestly I'd add the ability to use it in the air, which would be a high precision move.

I would also have Obi-Wan's regen kick in a bit faster, because right now, with no ability to escape a bad situation, he can rarely create enough distance for his incredibly slow regen to kick in.

I think with all of this he might be on par with the other heroes. Still not as strong as Grievous, but closer.

Post edited by awakespace on
  • Good to hear it makes him better/quicker. Did they actually make him stronger or faster, or did they just fix the bugs? He is a master saber user who defeated anakin, Maul, and Grievous yet they made him seem like a barely competent Jedi. Still- Can’t wait to play later!

Grievous is way too strong in this game, which is part of the problem in HvV.
  • awakespace
    931 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Good to hear it makes him better/quicker. Did they actually make him stronger or faster, or did they just fix the bugs? He is a master saber user who defeated anakin, Maul, and Grievous yet they made him seem like a barely competent Jedi. Still- Can’t wait to play later!

Obi-Wan is more fluid, his abilities trigger a bit more easily - but not more powerful and not faster (although the fluidity does add a sense of quickness). He still can't seem to dodge out of anything. His push still sometimes triggers early. They added a very cool deep push sound, but if he is hit while in the push animation you get stuck in an audio loop of that deep new sound until he pushes again or dies - similar to the Vader choke audio glitch but much more common since Obi has to charge his ability, so there is a lot of time to hit him before it launches.
  • 1. Did they fix his block not working?
    2. Does his Defensive Rush break saber blocks?
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • For someone who is a “master of defense,” Obi-Wan sure seems to be awfully good at offense. By canon, these are the heroes/villains each of them defeated (half a point for a defeat by cheap shot or wounding, 1 point for a draw, 2 points for a defeat):

Obi-Wan: defeated Darth Maul twice, defeated Darth Vader (high ground!), defeated General Grievous, draw with Jango Fett

Point Total: 9

Anakin Skywalker: defeated Count Dooku, defeated Emperor Palpatine

Point Total: 4

Yoda: draw with Emperor Palpatine, draw with Count Dooku

Point Total: 2

Luke: defeated Darth Vader, out-forced Kylo Ren but didn’t actually defeat him

Point Total: 2.5

Leia: none

Point Total: 0

Han: defeated Boba Fett by literal blind luck

Point Total: 0.5

Chewy: wounded Kylo Ren with somewhat of a cheap shot

Lando: none

Rey: defeated Kylo Ren (TFA), draw with Kylo Ren (TLJ)

Point Total: 3

Finn: wounded Kylo Ren

Darth Maul: defeated Qui-Gon Jinn

General Grievous: defeated multiple Jedi but no legendary Jedi

Count Dooku: defeated Obi-Wan twice, defeated Anakin Skywalker, draw with Yoda

Point Total: 7

Emperor Palpatine: draw with Yoda, defeated Mace Windu with a cheap shot, defeated multiple Jedi during Order 66, defeated Luke Skywalker

Point Total: 3.5

Darth Vader: defeated Mace Windu with a cheap shot, defeated Obi-Wan (who gave it to him), defeated Luke Skywalker

Bossk: none

Boba Fett: none

Iden Versio: none

Captain Phasma: none

Kylo Ren: defeated Finn, draw with Rey

As you can see, Obi-Wan is also the Master of Offense, followed by Count Dooku, then Anakin Skywalker, then Emperor Palpatine.
  • 1. Did they fix his block not working?
    2. Does his Defensive Rush break saber blocks?

His block still doesn't work sometimes but also seems a bit better

His Defensive Rush does not break saber blocks
  • awakespace wrote: »
    Good to hear it makes him better/quicker. Did they actually make him stronger or faster, or did they just fix the bugs? He is a master saber user who defeated anakin, Maul, and Grievous yet they made him seem like a barely competent Jedi. Still- Can’t wait to play later!

Obi-Wan is more fluid, his abilities trigger a bit more easily - but not more powerful and not faster (although the fluidity does add a sense of quickness). He still can't seem to dodge out of anything. His push still sometimes triggers early. They added a very cool deep push sound, but if he is hit while in the push animation you get stuck in an audio loop of that deep new sound until he pushes again or dies - similar to the Vader choke audio glitch but much more common since Obi has to charge his ability, so there is a lot of time to hit him before it launches.

Yeah. Not just me, then. The audio for Force Push, albeit awesome sounding, got stuck a few times. Had to respawn to get rid of it.
  • For someone who is a “master of defense,” Obi-Wan sure seems to be awfully good at offense. By canon, these are the heroes/villains each of them defeated (half a point for a defeat by cheap shot or wounding, 1 point for a draw, 2 points for a defeat):

Obi-Wan: defeated Darth Maul twice, defeated Darth Vader (high ground!), defeated General Grievous, draw with Jango Fett

Emperor Palpatine: draw with Yoda, defeated Mace Windu with a cheap shot, defeated multiple Jedi during Order 66, defeated Luke Skywalker

Darth Vader: defeated Mace Windu with a cheap shot, defeated Obi-Wan (who gave it to him), defeated Luke Skywalker

As you can see, Obi-Wan is also the Master of Offense, followed by Count Dooku, then Anakin Skywalker, then Emperor Palpatine.

This is highly inaccurate. You're giving Kylo more points for beating Finn than Yoda for drawing with Palpatine! I would count the Rebels fight as a cheap shot, and Obi also lost to Maul twice in the CW. Again you ignore fights that Vader had in canon comics beating jedi such as Eeth Koth. Palpatine also beat Maul and Savage in the clone wars. Yoda beating Ventress, Maul beating Inquisitors, and Anakin beating Ventress are just some of the fights that aren't here. You don't count Grievous beating jedi but you count Kylo beating Finn? What? This isn't a canon list, it's a movies list, and I find it funny that you let Obi Wan have his rebels win but for everybody else you ignore their fights outside of the movies. That's a list that has been badly twisted to prove your point.

This is highly inaccurate. You're giving Kylo more points for beating Finn than Yoda for drawing with Palpatine! I would count the Rebels fight as a cheap shot, and Obi also lost to Maul twice in the CW. Again you ignore fights that Vader had in canon comics beating jedi such as Eeth Koth. Palpatine also beat Maul and Savage in the clone wars. Yoda beating Ventress, Maul beating Inquisitors, and Anakin beating Ventress are just some of the fights that aren't here. You don't count Grievous beating jedi but you count Kylo beating Finn? What? This isn't a canon list, it's a movies list, and I find it funny that you let Obi Wan have his rebels win but for everybody else you ignore their fights outside of the movies. That's a list that has been badly twisted to prove your point.

Vader didn't really beat him

Who, Eeth Koth? He did. And anyway he has also beaten Ahsoka and others in canon.
  • awakespace
    931 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    For someone who is a “master of defense,” Obi-Wan sure seems to be awfully good at offense. By canon, these are the heroes/villains each of them defeated (half a point for a defeat by cheap shot or wounding, 1 point for a draw, 2 points for a defeat):

It's not only inaccurate, it also doesn't make sense. Obi-Wan is the master of Soresu as deemed by Mace Windu. This means his fighting style is defensive and thus wears people down and/or waits for moments of exposure to attack and/or uses his opponents aggression to his advantage. He does not try to overpower/overwhelm his opponents - his style is not offensive. The fact that he won fights doesn't mean he is offensive, it means he won using his defensive style... It seems that you are equating winning with offense which would then mean losing means defense...

Who, Eeth Koth? He did. And anyway he has also beaten Ahsoka and others in canon.

Did he really could've sworn he just died a terrible death being a pastor. Idk I'll have to look again
  • For one Luke never beat Vader. It is obvious that Vader let him strike him- he was acting. Because palp told him to as well as Luke bringing out anakin in him.

So lol totally off.

Did he really could've sworn he just died a terrible death being a pastor. Idk I'll have to look again

They had a brief fight in which Koth was slashed across the stomach.
  • T0TALfps
    1193 posts EA Community Manager
    It's great to see that the changes have made him better for players, we will continue to send feedback through to the team to consider any further changes to him.

Keep that feedback coming.
    beq77m6aitvn.png
    EA Community Coordinator, Anthem, Battlefield & Battlefront
    Twitter - Board Guidelines
    // Some of my posts may not represent the opinions of EA or DICE.
  • T0TALfps wrote: »
    It's great to see that the changes have made him better for players, we will continue to send feedback through to the team to consider any further changes to him.

He needs to be buffed even stronger! I’m not biased. :wink:
  • Obi needs to be able to cover ground more quickly - and it's canon - he did speed run in the phantom menace

Sorry, could you tell if his air attack animation being Luke’s is intended or is a bug?

Sorry, could you tell if his air attack animation being Luke’s is intended or is a bug?

It's intended man he's not gonna get a whole different animation from a bug
    Obi needs to be able to cover ground more quickly - and it's canon - he did speed run in the phantom menace
    Also everyone talks about his defense but he was obviously very offensive at times like the intense fight against Maul
  • Obi still a cheap character. With his block card you can play hold block all day like the old times until it flashes red. I only use him till all purple and getting creds.
  • awakespace
    931 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Also his Rush should be faster and more aggressive - with his shoulders forward like he's sprinting

Right now he looks like a dainty prancing English man doing his warmup routine before his afternoon game of badmitton

It's actually a bit different - yes similar, but different
    T0TALfps wrote: »

It's actually a bit different - yes similar, but different

It's exactly the same
    I think you are onto obi-wan's main issue. His abilities aren't really good at helping him in sticky situations. This is antithetical to his role as a master of defense...

I agree that this patch makes him better.

Right now there is an issue with the dark side because Kylo and Grievous don't stagger back when blocked, so it's really hard to counter in any other way than spamming R2 and hoping the other dies first, which feels dumb and non-skill-based. This will obviously change whenever saber combat changes come into effect. But still, in the present, I feel any other saber hero (Luke, Rey, and Yoda) is much more survivable and capable when facing multiple enemies.

These are simple tweaks detailing how I would change him:

Defensive Rush: Being able to dodge out of the Defensive Rush and having it block saber attacks helps - but I think he needs to go faster and cover more ground and block all attacks (force, blasters, sabers) from all angles. I'd also like it if he could jump out of it like Rey and Han can.

Mind Trick: Is very situational: I think it needs maybe another second base, and needs to have more impact on blocking saber users. I say it should make them unable to block. This would even the field a bit more so opponents would either have to jump or attack.

Push: Needs more base distance (similar to Yoda's uncharged), so it can be tapped and knock people back. Remember it is still a very small cone so needs to be aimed. And honestly I'd add the ability to use it in the air, which would be a high precision move.

I would also have Obi-Wan's regen kick in a bit faster, because right now, with no ability to escape a bad situation, he can rarely create enough distance for his incredibly slow regen to kick in.

I think with all of this he might be on par with the other heroes. Still not as strong as Grievous, but closer.

True all of it. They need to make his defensive rush more agile like dodging and jumping out of it which is the only issue of his abilities in my opinion. But my biggest issue is that EA chose to listen to nobody! I haven't heard of any discussions talking about switching places with two of his abilities. They switched defensive rush with his push which ruined my Obi Wan experience..
  • Still getting frozen by Kylo while blocking with perfect stamina. Fluidity helped but his main problem was a super unreliable block.
  • Billkwando
    1459 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I haven't heard of any discussions talking about switching places with two of his abilities. They switched defensive rush with his push which ruined my Obi Wan experience..

I cheered this change. It makes no sense that Luke's rush is on the right and Obi eWan's was on the left. I was hitting the wrong move often.
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.