criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Clone Commando Community Transmission
September Community Calendar

7 forums of Saber Combat

Ok guys any help would be appreciated, I’m looking for who invented the 7 forms of saber combat, also when did they become known. I’m not talking about what each Jedi used, I talking about what writer invented this and when was it first introduced. Did Gillard invent this or was it G. Lucas idea, or was it by fandom later in legends after/during the prequels. Been searching and can’t get any hard facts. Thanks again guys in advance.

Replies

• It was Gillard. Bob Anderson worked on EP 5 and 6 so we got very realistic fighting in those movies. Lucas hired Gillard because he wanted to make saber fighting more fast paced at the expense of realistic moves. It was at this point that Gillard invented both the tier system for characters and the seven forms.
  • Ppong_Man12
    2584 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Thank you very much good sir, exactly what I was looking for, but what about the names and styles of the 7 forums, who said let’s add Vaapad, or say Ataru, so is this random comic writers or Disney? Reason I ask is Gillard in his interviews doesn’t mention anything about this and acts as if it’s all fanfare, he’s saying basically the higher the form the better you are if I’m not mistaken.
    Post edited by Ppong_Man12 on
  • Thank you very much good sir, exactly what I was looking for, but what about the names and styles of the 7 forums, who said let’s add Vaapad, or say Ataru, so is this random comic writers or Disney? Reason I ask is Gillard in his interviews doesn’t mention anything about this and acts as if it’s all fanfare, he’s saying basically the higher the form the better you are if I’m not mistaken.

The seven forms were created far before Disney took over. Gillard in his interviews talks about more than just the forms, so i'm guessing that what you heard him talking about was the tiers that he created for lightsaber fighting. So, just to briefly summarize:

Level 9, Yoda, Palpatine, Anakin (a very controversial one, but Gillard has confirmed)
    Level 8, Maul, Dooku, Windu, Obi Wan.

And seven would be Kit Fisto, and six Obi in ep 1.

I'm guessing that's what you saw, because higher forms definitely doesn't mean more powerful. (Yoda using form IV, and Ahsoka using form V for example)