criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Be Honest - Have you watched The Clone Wars

Prev13
StarwarsMEGAfan
96 posts Member
edited December 2018
I see a lot ot people talking in a not-so-nice way about the cartoon and the characters in it, so have you watched it? Have you watched Rebels?

(I’m not talking about that 2008 standalone clone wars movie, I’m talking about the 3d animated shows that aired on Cartoon Network and DisneyXD)
5e4dc1dqaavr.gif

"Never doubt what you have done, All your decisions brought you to that point."
―Kreia

Replies

• thatblondboy
    11 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Clone Wars is a fantastic and emotional show which adds lots of lore and depth to the movies. The animation of the first two seasons may be a bit off-putting to some, but afterwards the animation and voice acting comes across as incredibly smooth.
    I watched all of the seasons, multiple times.
    I also watched Rebels. Initially I wasn't a fan of it, since the time of the Empire should be seen as the "dark times", yet in the show the Empire was depicted as incompetent and just plain stupid. But eventually the show and its characters grew on me and the fact that Thrawn was introduced made it that much better. Rebels had some great moments and ended on a high note.
  • Yes I have
    Janina Gavankar is my Queen, to her I will always be true and faithful and love all which she loves and shun all which she shuns.
    ige1ne4fsk9m.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • no i have not but i have been meaning to get to it since i figured out it was canon
    cause everything you read on the internet is true...
  • I’ve been muddling through it, solely for the purpose immersing myself more in the content we’re getting.

It’s rife with the same bad dialogue, storytelling, and concepts the PT films are, IMO. People defend it as being a “kids show,” but that’s no excuse. The Muppet Show and movies were “kid stuff” too, but they had plenty to offer adults. And everything Spielberg did in the 80’s had multi-generational appeal as well.

To me, CW is just Lucas doubling down after the scathing criticism the films received. It gets better in season 3, but without the rose tinted spectacles acquired in youth, there’s very little appeal to someone who saw Star Wars in 1977.
  • TCW was mostly good with a few bad episodes/arcs, Rebels was trash with a few good moments, and Resistance is vomit inducing
  • I tried. Too childish for my taste. If you like it then great, that means you can appreciate that content when it arrives.

It’s looking like it’ll be more PT and then TCW content after that.

For The Clone Wars I’d suggest just skipping season 1 and 2, they are nothing but filler; I’m 19 and enjoy seasons 3-6.

For Rebels, it’s childish the entire way through, If you are too pretentious to even watch 1 childish scene then don’t even try watching rebels, but if you can get past some childish scenes in seasons 2-4 then it’s good.

I hated TCL and I tried skipping to the later seasons. I didn't like the animation style, or the dialogue. The graphics seemed inferior to what others were doing with CGI at the time. I would have preferred a drawn animation style, but I get that cost restrictions would have prevented that. How does not liking something because of a quality that it has make you pretentious? It's just an opinion. Do you like music from the 1940's? Pretentious!
  • EasyMoneyShot
    109 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Personally, I liked it for one particular reason, above all. The evolution of Anakin. You can see clearly how different events twisted his opinion of the Jedi. How the ones close to him sensed this but were blinded by their love for him. How the war affected every character, but with him it was a different matter.

There is a really powerful, yet very simple, dialogue in the unfinished arc of the Crystal Crisis, between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Those moments made it worth to endure through some useless episodes.

FYI, love the OT, like the PT, can’t even watch the ST.
  • I watched it with my son. I enjoyed watching it with him, it was a good way to rope him into dads interest in Star Wars. But I didn’t think the show itself was very good. There were some decent arcs and characters, but for the most part it wasn’t very remarkable.

I was going into it looking forward to seeing some building on the Obi/Ani, ‘Master and Apprentice’ stuff. Instead they stuck an annoying orange thing in the middle. A bunch of pointless things are then explored with her, none of which help or build the overall story, taking away from what the movies built, if anything.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • I see a lot ot people talking in a not-so-nice way about the cartoon and the characters in it, so have you watched it? Have you watched Rebels?

(I’m not talking about that 2008 standalone clone wars movie, I’m talking about the 3d animated shows that aired on Cartoon Network and DisneyXD)

Yes.
  • HansTheBest
    1120 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Let's put it this way. I have a daughter. She watches a lot of kid cartoons. Given the choice to watch My Little Ponies with her or Clone Wars (which she also likes), I'd gladly do the first. In fact of all of the silly shows that she watches Clone Wars is my least favorite. I'm a huge Star Wars fan with a poster and other Star Wars knick-knacks hanging around my office at work.
    Post edited by HansTheBest on
  • I didnt but i want to see it
    Priority list:

1. Fix Split Screen bugs and the rest
    2. Improve Saber combat
    3. Reduce the overly bright Saber/lights glow reflections (especially Yodas saber)
    4. 91st Scout trooper for Assault
    5. Max out Arcade maps Combat area
    5. First Person only mode!
  • Piscettios wrote: »
    I was going into it looking forward to seeing some building on the Obi/Ani, ‘Master and Apprentice’ stuff. Instead they stuck an annoying orange thing in the middle. A bunch of pointless things are then explored with her, none of which help or build the overall story, taking away from what the movies built, if anything.

I agree with you, but enjoy the afterlife. ;)

• I watched the first season and couldn’t get into it but I’m willing to give it another try.
  • Mastahpeece
    1781 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I have watched it yes

There’s a few good arcs but most of it was mediocre at best
    PSN - Gingertom_ add me if you feel like it

i hate this game why am i here

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Both.
    Clone wars is boring but has some okay moments and the last Yoda story arch is even good.
    Rebels is terrible expect when they on Malachor V.
  • I watched TCW and enjoyed it, BUT didnt like Ahsoka at all.

Tried Rebels and thought it was poor.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Founder PSN: ibrajoker59
  • I've watched it many times - some of the best Star Wars out there

And yes, for anyone that thinks it's for kids, get to the third season, from there on it's incredible

I personally like all of it, except the movie is pretty meh
  • Not yet but I will in a couple weeks because I asked for the entire series for Christmas.
  • Cadoth
    507 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Personally I love the clone wars series, I’m still at season 4 though but I can’t wait to watch all the remaining episodes; obviously not everyone can enjoy it, for example I’m not a huge fan of the PT movies (even though I’m a fan of the clone wars series), but the only thing I want to say about this show is: it’s not the greatest show of all time but objectively it’s a good show with really good contents, it has its up and down moments like every TV show, and that’s it 😐😉
  • Nope. Never heard of it until I came here. I hate the PT and have way too many shows and not enough time as it is. I don't even have time to watch regular movies, because there are too many good shows to catch up and keep up with. Pod racing was cringe inducing kiddie stuff, so I can't imagine what they would do with something that was actually aimed entirely at kids.

Plus, I'm so burned out on hearing people talk about, obsess about, and post screenshots of the bug eyed bunny ear girl that I don't think I could bring myself to watch that ahsoapa opera.

ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sort of an atypical/joke song, all their other songs are way better)

Gamertag: Billkwando
    Find me circling, and crashing, in Starfighter Assault.
  • Yes
    Any episode without ahsoka in it was great.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• 2000sGuy
    5823 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Piscettios wrote: »
    I watched it with my son. I enjoyed watching it with him, it was a good way to rope him into dads interest in Star Wars. But I didn’t think the show itself was very good. There were some decent arcs and characters, but for the most part it wasn’t very remarkable.

They shoulda cut her out

Focused on obi wan and anakin while also fleshing background jedi.

The council members take back seat to a characters whos not even in the films.
    C’mon Fahloeny
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • Great show, but not good enough to be included(replacing movie content) in a video game about movies.
  • 2000sGuy wrote: »
    I watched it with my son. I enjoyed watching it with him, it was a good way to rope him into dads interest in Star Wars. But I didn’t think the show itself was very good. There were some decent arcs and characters, but for the most part it wasn’t very remarkable.

They shoulda cut her out

C’mon Fahloeny

Luminara not even speaking after season 2 :|
    PSN - Gingertom_ add me if you feel like it

i hate this game why am i here

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • I saw Star Wars Ep IV when it came out. I also watched Rebels and Clone Wars. I enjoyed them very much. I find it amusing when people say this or that is childish when talking about fantasy stuff on a forum for a computer game.

The game is rated 16+ far from childish in my book, clone wars aimed at kids on kids channels by default makes it childish
  • Yeah I watched both Clone Wars and Rebels. I've also watched Resistance. I'm not as picky as most, nor do I feel the need to have any pretense of maturity. I'm a long time cartoon fan anyway, so that definitely helped.

Still, at first I wasn't sure I liked the 3D animation or Ahsoka. But as Season 1 progressed, there were some episodes that gave a glimpse of how good the show could be. The animation and action steadily got better, and Ahsoka came a long as a character.

Season 2 is actually my favorite. Starts off with an awesome Cad Bane arc. Bounty Hunter fans would like Season 2 and a lot of what happens through Season 4 and 5. The whole underworld setup in the show was excellent, something Solo seemed to be touching on.

Rebels I just sort of decided to come along for the ride. It was simple and nice to see OT era stuff again. Then the Season 1 finale hooked me. Rebels overall is not as good as Clone Wars, but I think it has as many high moments. Season 2 finale in particular is as good as it gets since the OT.

Resistance? I've watched it. Again, I'm just along for the ride, and it's got some cool stuff. It's easily the weakest as I have absolutely no interest in the First Order or Resistance in the first place.
  • I tried. Just never could get into it.
  • 2000sGuy wrote: »

They shoulda cut her out

C’mon Fahloeny

Luminara not even speaking after season 2 :|

Pretty sure ki adi got muted too

Fisto, Koon, and Windu all got less and less screen time post s2
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • I remember watching it, but missed a few episodes. Same problem why I couldn't start Rebels really, I record a show, shows sit in DVR, DVR is almost full or replaced, eventually I decide to wait until I get the DVD, since I don't want to watch the episodes out of order.
    The only Star Wars show I properly got into (minus the 2003 Clone Wars series, but I think some scenes of that freaked me out) was Star Wars: Resistance, because I'm actually keeping up with it, and the last time I watched The Clone Wars was a few years ago so I can't remember much of it because my memory is "cinco/cuatro." (Did I get that quote right?)
    Hi, if you are reading this I would like to inform you that this is a placeholder sig
    #JoinTheBuzz
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    I've watched it. Love it.

But then again, I wasn't on the cusp of adulthood when it first came out.

People in their late teens, early twenties tend to draw hard lines in their tastes to distinguish their newly adult selves from those yet to make it that far in life.

My guess is that the bulk of the haters fall in that category.

I was 36 when it started, loved it. Now my 7 year old does as well.
    I tried. Too childish for my taste. If you like it then great, that means you can appreciate that content when it arrives.

It’s looking like it’ll be more PT and then TCW content after that.

For The Clone Wars I’d suggest just skipping season 1 and 2, they are nothing but filler; I’m 19 and enjoy seasons 3-6.

For Rebels, it’s childish the entire way through, If you are too pretentious to even watch 1 childish scene then don’t even try watching rebels, but if you can get past some childish scenes in seasons 2-4 then it’s good.

Yes, the show definitely picks up steam as you go, both in terms of story depth and graphical quality. It wasn't until the very last episode of season one that I thought WOW...this is GREAT!

Agreed 100%. I was also in my mid 30's watching it. And yeah, that season 1 finale was excellent with Cad Bane. It's what finally hooked me for sure. Aurra Sing made her debut in that episode too. I remembered her and Ventress from the Dark Horse Clone Wars comics way back.
  • I tried to watch it and like it, but it was too hard, it was like watching Jar-Jar Binks jokes and trying to laugh. I don't know is it too childish or bad or what it was, but it was like watching Anakin boy and Hayden bad acting in prequels, not my taste. Only good in prequels was the third one, there Hayden was acting a bit better, but he was much better in Jumper than in whole Star Wars prequels. It was weird how Lucas let bad acting pass through him in cutting table, though Jar-Jar was his own inventions also, so maybe he was too open to any kind of acting. And this Clone Wars series was it necessary at all, it was too hard to like it with these weird cartoon characters, they reminded me too much about CGI character Jar-Jar. Yoda is only puppet character in Star Wars which I like. Maybe I am picky and demanding Star Wars fan who don't like everything they are trying to push to fans. I want to choose what to like about Star Wars.
  • I have watched both, absolutely love the Clone Wars and have watched it all many times, the only show I have ever watched where I have got attached to the characters. Rebels was very disappointing and I will not watch through it again.
    442nd And 332nd are the BEST
  • clone wars and rebels are both great shows anyone that says clone wars is a kids show or is cringy is simply ignorant imo rebels can be a bit more kid friendly then clone wars though but it still has its own darker moments and is a fairly good show imo.
  • I thought it was garbage. The movies themselves are childish enough, but the toons are just too much.
    If you are too pretentious

qynvjx83zqbs.jpg
    moenr1cb9t4w.jpg
  • It's fine. I like the idea of closing the gap between the movies. It did get to a point where I couldn't relate. As an adult, that's also a supervisor to many employees, I thought it was a childish reaction to Ahsoka when they banned her from the Jedi Order. Then they immediately tried to bring her back once her innocence was proven. I work in the corporate world and that's not how you run a successful business. Guilty until proven innocent is corporate suicide. So honestly, they lost my interest there. It made the light side seem like the dark side. Involving Yoda was an even worse idea. I'm rambling, but the writers appeared to get too comfortable and the story suffered because of it. Eventually, I'll finish the series and start Rebels, but who knows when.

Anyway, what was the original point of this thread?
  • It's fine. I like the idea of closing the gap between the movies. It did get to a point where I couldn't relate. As an adult, that's also a supervisor to many employees, I thought it was a childish reaction to Ahsoka when they banned her from the Jedi Order. Then they immediately tried to bring her back once her innocence was proven. I work in the corporate world and that's not how you run a successful business. Guilty until proven innocent is corporate suicide. So honestly, they lost my interest there. It made the light side seem like the dark side. Involving Yoda was an even worse idea. I'm rambling, but the writers appeared to get too comfortable and the story suffered because of it. Eventually, I'll finish the series and start Rebels, but who knows when.

Anyway, what was the original point of this thread?

I think the intent in Season 5 and Season 6 is to show just how far the Jedi Council had fallen into the trap set by Sidious. By getting the Jedi mixed up in the Clone War, he was publicly tarnishing their image as peace keepers and pulling them out of their natural role. So then they all the sudden start worrying about the politics of public opinion. Enter the Ahsoka trial...

In slight defense, the council was split on the matter. Obi-Wan and likely Plo-Koon and Yoda backed Ahsoka. But most decided it would politically inconvenient to side with Ahsoka.

Season 6 dives deep into Order 66 and what the Jedi were able to figure out about the creation of the Clones.
  • I will say, Obi-Wan fans need to watch Clone Wars. You'll find a whole new level of respect for him and how he exemplifies the true principle of the Jedi. He's the top shelf example of what it means to be Jedi. Had more been of his character, Sidious' plan might not have worked.
  • I enjoyed it, but I never watched them again after the initial run. I'd definitely skip all the droid-centric episodes if I did.
  • I’ve watched the whole series.
    Clone Wars is a decent show IMO. I feel like that’s fair to say based on season one and two being pretty trash and the few garbage episodes rooghout the other seasons. Some really good characters introduced/developed though: Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Asajj, Rex, Fives; Count Dooku and Maul are more interesting in Clone Wars, etc.
    Also has fun lore tidbits and such (like the kyber crystal retrieval). The lore is nice since it was mostly chopped with Disney acquisition.
    All things considered, it has amazingly impressive highs and horrendously awful lows.
  • Admiral_Xen
    2392 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    oh and for the defense of "but dis episode is DARK"

to quote a wise sage "who cares if it's dark? My stool is dark, and doctor says that's bad"

Being edgy for edgy's sake is not a virtue. If anything it's a sign of immaturity.

also, the show ruined the Clones specifically by taking away their darker Mandalorian aspects (e.g. reciting Vode An), the chip plotline taking away their responsibility for Order 66 (previous to the show it was a dark secret they all knew from the beginning), and in general making them all have sunny and comical dispositions. Same with the battle droids getting played for comic relief, taking away what little cold, ruthless killing machine factor they had left.
    9xkb2z2el1y6.jpg
    Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • oh and for the defense of "but dis episode is DARK"

to quote a wise sage "who cares if it's dark? My stool is dark, and doctor says that's bad"

Being edgy for edgy's sake is not a virtue. If anything it's a sign of immaturity.

also, the show ruined the Clones specifically by taking away their darker Mandalorian aspects (e.g. reciting Vode An), the chip plotline taking away their responsibility for Order 66 (previous to the show it was a dark secret they all knew from the beginning), and in general making them all have sunny and comical dispositions. Same with the battle droids getting played for comic relief, taking away what little cold intimidation factor they had left.

being dark doesn't make it edgy you really are showing your ignorance on that one.
  • Surely it's not darker than killing a bunch of younglings? giphy.gif
  • I have seen this crap from my parents I know the ignorant type when I see it some people just are not that good at understanding TV shows, movies etc.